Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Which way will the Brexit trackers go after Friday?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Which way will the Brexit trackers go after Friday?

Today’s YouGov poll will probably be the last one before Britain leaves the EU on Friday evening. I do hope that the firm will continue its regular Brexit tracker question which has been put in the same way since the referendum in June 2016 .

Read the full story here

Comments

• Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,572
    First. And aren't the colours the wrong way around?
  • vikvik Posts: 157
    Yeah ... I'm confused too. The graph shows "Right" with a lead.
    ..... i.e. 47% say Brexit was right, 40% wrong?
    There should be a lot of CLPs nominating for the leadership tonight.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    Evening all :)

Just picking up on an earthquake in the Caribbean - one can only hope damage and loss of life is at a minimum.

On topic, the graphic shows the Conservative vote coalition from last December to perfection - 75% of LEAVE voters (36% of thr total based on the prevailing 52-48 split in favour of REMAIN rather than the 23/6/16 result).

Add to that the two much smaller groups - REMAIN voters terrified by the prospect of Corbyn and REMAIN voters who, for all they are opposed to the decision to leave the EU recognise the need for it to happen in democratic terms and therefore endorsed Johnson as the route to enacting the 23/6/16 referendum decision.

Once again I find myself in the ultimate minority - I am representative of no one but myself (it seems).
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    edited January 2020

First. And aren't the colours the wrong way around?

Seems so

I predict what will happen is; a small bunch of people who want to be in the EU will go on about it a lot with great gusto, similar to the likes of Farage, James Goldsmith and a few ERG Tories in the 90s and early 2000s, while most people wont be all that bothered, like most people apart from those I have mentioned at that time.

What Remain need is something, something with a tangible effect on peoples lives, to happen that wouldn't have done if we were still in the EU. For Leave it was the Freedom of Movement from A8 countries in 2004
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    stodge said:

Just picking up on an earthquake in the Caribbean - one can only hope damage and loss of life is at a minimum.

On topic, the graphic shows the Conservative vote coalition from last December to perfection - 75% of LEAVE voters (36% of thr total based on the prevailing 52-48 split in favour of REMAIN rather than the 23/6/16 result).

Add to that the two much smaller groups - REMAIN voters terrified by the prospect of Corbyn and REMAIN voters who, for all they are opposed to the decision to leave the EU recognise the need for it to happen in democratic terms and therefore endorsed Johnson as the route to enacting the 23/6/16 referendum decision.

Once again I find myself in the ultimate minority - I am representative of no one but myself (it seems).

A Tsunami warning has just been issued for that area.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Chart corrected
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    Boris will most likely get the presentation right. Wherever we're going it'll be an adventure, and that's fine. The bad things will arrive, but it'll be dealt with (who knows how well).

If Boris actually gets this right he'll be pint-buying-worthy across the land.

Despite his faults, if had to choose one person that might, it's him.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    edited January 2020
    Surely the Liberal Democrats are going to be the subject of a complaint under the Trade Descriptions Act?
  • stodge said:

A Tsunami warning has just been issued for that area.
    There was that nasty earthquake in nearby Haiti in 2010
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625
    edited January 2020
    Just got in from work so missed the last thread -

1) The Huawei plan is obviously the work of technical advisors. As an IT professional, this seems pretty clear.
    2) The people who are doing the analysis of the Huawei kit & code are real experts, as opposed to "my expertise comes from the job I have been appointed to"
    3) There seems to be a pattern developing for this government - not in the EU, but closer to Europe than Trump led USA.
    4) The comments from the non-techincal opposition to the deal are a delight.
    5) No one seems to have noticed the kicker - that Huawei is committed by this to handing over all their source code and kit to a well funded UK government lab for analysis. So we get to steal everything from them. Ready for the next generation...

On topic -

No matter what the PM says or does, it will offend Mr Meeks of this parish. The only question is, in the inevitable poll of the aftermath, whether "inappropriate" gets 13% or 37%.
  • Just got in from work so missed the last thread -

1) The Huawei plan is obviously the work of technical advisors. As an IT professional, this seems pretty clear.
    2) The people who are doing the analysis of the Huawei kit & code are real experts, as opposed to "my expertise comes from the job I have been appointed to"
    3) There seems to be a pattern developing for this government - not in the EU, but closer to Europe than Trump led USA.
    5) No one seems to have noticed the kicker - that Huawei is committed by this to handing over all their source code and kit to a well funded UK government lab for analysis. So we get to steal everything from them. Ready for the next generation...

On topic -

No matter what the PM says or does, it will offend Mr Meeks of this parish. The only question is, in the inevitable poll of the aftermath, whether "inappropriate" gets 13% or 37%.

Why do they always want to do it the Huawei??
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

On topic -

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/blog-post/the-future-of-telecoms-in-the-uk

I recommend you read the above. Seems to me Huawei kit will be gone from UK networks in 10 years.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    The 3rd option should not be "Don't Know", it should be "Have No Opinion".

Nobody "knows". As is acknowledged in the main question. Not "were" we right to leave the EU, but do you "think" we were right to leave the EU.

Pollsters should sort this sort of stuff out. It's important.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited January 2020
    As remainiacs breathlessly relayed to us for three years "wrong" had been leading this question since the referendum, and yet made no difference to the election.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,761
    Is it true all members of the Ukraine Politburo committed suicide after Chernobyl?

All of them except the Secretary. He wasn’t at home.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    DavidL said:

Surely the Liberal Democrats are going to be the subject of a complaint under the Trade Descriptions Act?

Well, I'm told Labour no longer represents the workers and the Conservatives don't want to conserve anything so perhaps all three parties are guilty of misrepresentation or perhaps you're just being boring, who can say?
    stodge said:

DavidL said:

Well, I'm told Labour no longer represents the workers and the Conservatives don't want to conserve anything so perhaps all three parties are guilty of misrepresentation or perhaps you're just being boring, who can say?
    All three are guilty it seems
  • Allow me to be the hundred and seventh person to say I hope they haven’t got into a sticky situation.

On topic -

I recommend you read the above. Seems to me Huawei kit will be gone from UK networks in 10 years.
    I saw that - read it even. Yes, gone in 10 years if possible. Stealing the latest and greatest will help enormously with 6G or whatever they will brand the next generation.

On topic -

I saw that - read it even. Yes, gone in 10 years if possible. Stealing the latest and greatest will help enormously with 6G or whatever they will brand the next generation.
    VIG!
    What do people see in Richard Burgon?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,075

Allow me to be the hundred and seventh person to say I hope they haven’t got into a sticky situation.
    It was a honey trap, or possibly a cereal killer...
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    ydoethur said:

Somebody who makes them look good?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited January 2020
    The British public are thick as mince and have poor judgment.

Why do we let people vote?

https://twitter.com/OfficialNTAs/status/1222254041792761857
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    stodge said:

DavidL said:

No I think that you have a point.
    We should insist we have
    The greedy or retired party
    The public sector party
    The we know better party.

Actually there is an argument that the last applies to them all.
    He’ll get a tongue of complaints from the RSPCA.
    matt said:

ydoethur said:

I hope my self esteem never falls so low that the only way of feeling good is reflecting that I am more intelligent than Richard Burgon.
  • I was told it was £30 extra so I politely declined.
  • ydoethur said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

I hope my self esteem never falls so low that the only way of feeling good is reflecting that I am more intelligent than Richard Burgon.
    I think you're all misunderestimating Richard Burgon.
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    ON topic my experience is that Remainers still generally think that it was a bad decision to Leave, but most are now resigned to it, many think endless ongoing chaos (with Corbyn??) was worse, even more now realise a 2nd vote would have been dangerous (and quite possibly lost, again).

The nation is united behind a kind of "OK fuck it, we voted for it, let's just get on and do it, whatever", sort of mood. Rather British, really.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    ydoethur said:

He'll be hounded out of office.....
    DavidL said:

stodge said:

DavidL said:

No I think that you have a point.
    We should insist we have
    The greedy or retired party
    The public sector party
    The we know better party.

Actually there is an argument that the last applies to them all.
    The Putney Party - motto "Cromwell and Wellington were right" - policy platform of reversing the 1832 reform act and restricting the franchise to men of property....
    Byronic said:

ON topic my experience is that Remainers still generally think that it was a bad decision to Leave, but most are now resigned to it, many think endless ongoing chaos (with Corbyn??) was worse, even more now realise a 2nd vote would have been dangerous (and quite possibly lost, again).

The nation is united behind a kind of "OK fuck it, we voted for it, let's just get on and do it, whatever", sort of mood. Rather British, really.

If only they had settled into that mood in August 2016, eh?

Especially the MPs.

ydoethur said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

What’s the difference between Richard Burgon’s brain and Bigfoot?

There is some evidence for the existence of Bigfoot.

ydoethur said:

It’s going to dog his career.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,403

ydoethur said:

He won't be muzzled.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Life's a bitch.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Life's a bitch.
    You speak the tooth,
    Byronic said:

You're leaping a lot here. Your experience to a summary of the nation. I think you're right mind.

Boris has a wonderful lacuna to work out what he's going to do.

There's great risk here, so lets hope he gets much of it right. Oddly the hopelessness of the arguments of the left will help him - he doesn't need to take them into account.

In April, when the slithy Starmer emerges from his place amongst the toves, things will change. Perhaps though only a little.

In December things will change more.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,577

ydoethur said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

What, just standing next to him can cause your IQ to drop ?
    Looking at the graph, non-Ref voters must break heavily for 'Wrong'.

Presumably a lot of these were too young to vote in 2016.
  • Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

Burgon is a man so dense light bends around him.

Things more useful than Richard Burgon

Chocolate tea pot

Concrete pillow

A nun's dildo

A crocheted condom

Nipples on a breastplate

An ashtray on a motorbike

Italy as an ally in World War II
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

Within 3 miles is the Home Office guideline.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

It would explain the Shadow Cabinet.....
    edited January 2020

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

Chocolate tea pot

Concrete pillow

A nun's dildo

A crocheted condom

Nipples on a breastplate

TSE, without going into details I think you may perhaps be slightly out in your estimation of the usefulness of a nun’s dildo.
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

Chocolate tea pot

Concrete pillow

A nun's dildo

A crocheted condom

Nipples on a breastplate

TSE, without going into details I think you may perhaps be slightly out in your estimation of the usefulness of a nun’s dildo.
    ....says 67 weeks of viewing on PornHub.....
  • ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

Chocolate tea pot

Concrete pillow

A nun's dildo

A crocheted condom

Nipples on a breastplate

I'm a good innocent Muslim boy.

I maybe showing my naiveté.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

Looking at the graph, non-Ref voters must break heavily for 'Wrong'.

Presumably a lot of these were too young to vote in 2016.

If Remain had won, they'd have broken as decisively for Wrong as well. That's just how people are.

Er, [Citation needed].

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

Chocolate tea pot

Concrete pillow

A nun's dildo

A crocheted condom

Nipples on a breastplate

How many airlines are you banned from again?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

Chocolate tea pot

Concrete pillow

A nun's dildo

A crocheted condom

Nipples on a breastplate

I assume for violating the dress code? :D
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    This digital world with people constantly parading themselves on social media is impossible for me to connect with.....
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

Chocolate tea pot

Concrete pillow

A nun's dildo

A crocheted condom

Nipples on a breastplate

Just the one.

Still amazed to this day Virgin didn't ban me when my friend in a very drunken state decided to begin a conversation about suicide bombers on our flight.
  • speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981

On topic -

Wait until you see 7G, and 8G, and 9G.

I think all this fuss is not worth it.
    It reminds me of the all the hype over the newest iphones, is it really that important to have 3 cameras on a phone ?

In the end I think it's a marketing ploy.

Still amazed to this day Virgin didn't ban me when my friend in a very drunken state decided to begin a conversation about suicide bombers on our flight.

How did the suicide bombers on your flight react to this?
  • ydoethur said:

How did the suicide bombers on your flight react to this?
    Fortunately there were none on this flight.

For context this flight was a few weeks after this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_transatlantic_aircraft_plot
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

Chocolate tea pot

Concrete pillow

A nun's dildo

A crocheted condom

Nipples on a breastplate

A little harsh on the Italians who at least conquered Ethiopia....not good comparison

I don't know what a crocheted condom is so cannot comment

But....a nun's dildo.....that is far in away something that Burgon couldn't even comprehend even in his highest moment of triumph....
    speedy2 said:

On topic -

It reminds me of the all the hype over the newest iphones, is it really that important to have 3 cameras on a phone ?

I rather think that 5G will be rather as 3G went - a great disappointment at first, then becomes an essential part of the landscape.

The discovery that the phenomenal download rates disappear when you walk inside buildings etc will put a lot of people off.

What will be interesting will be the combination of 5G and Starlink - so you will be able to roll out 5G in remote areas cheaply, with Starlink doing the back haul. So, in theory, you could put up a mast in the middle of nowhere, with some solar cells and batteries. Instant GB/s internet.
  • ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

Chocolate tea pot

Concrete pillow

A nun's dildo

A crocheted condom

Nipples on a breastplate

You mean you have four wives???

ydoethur said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

And yet, he might surprise us all...
    “ No one would have believed in the early years of the twenty-first century that this government was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than that of cabinet ministers and yet as mortal as their own; that as Tories busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency Tories went to and fro across Westminster about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over politics. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. No one gave a thought to the older world of Labour as sources of political danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea of original thought within it as impossible or improbable. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days....
    Yet across the gulf of politics, minds that are to Tory minds as theirs are to those of the MRLP, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this government front bench with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against it. And early in the twenty-first century came the great disillusionment....”
    edited January 2020
    Did somebody say Villa each way?

• OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911

As remainiacs breathlessly relayed to us for three years "wrong" had been leading this question since the referendum, and yet made no difference to the election.

The GE provides no real indication of whether voters think Brexit was a mistake or not. FPTP gave Johnson his big majority rather than the voters - the parties wanting a second vote comfortably outpolled those that didn't and of course many remainers voted Tory out of fear of Corbyn.

Johnson certainly now has the chance to deliver on the implied benefits of Brexit but all polling suggests that more voters still remain convinced it was a mistake than think it was the correct decision and I don't see that reversing for a very long time and I expect the gap to widen not narrow as we deal with the reality

• Italy as an ally in World War II

Don't you mean France??
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,722
    Maybe I'm talking bollocks (which is very possible), but unless Brexit turns out to be a massive success (and I'm not sure what that actually would be), rejoining the EU is something that is going to be a part of the political discord for a long time, especially if the support for it amongst the under 45s remains. Also the Scottish and Northern Ireland aspect of it all isn't going to go away.

I'm biased, but I think the harder the Brexit, the quicker we rejoin.
    CatMan said:

Maybe I'm talking bollocks (which is very possible), but unless Brexit turns out to be a massive success (and I'm not sure what that actually would be), rejoining the EU is something that is going to be a part of the political discord for a long time, especially if the support for it amongst the under 45s remains. Also the Scottish and Northern Ireland aspect of it all isn't going to go away.

And which hospitals will you close to pay for the rejoining membership fees?

speedy2 said:

On topic -

I rather think that 5G will be rather as 3G went - a great disappointment at first, then becomes an essential part of the landscape.

The discovery that the phenomenal download rates disappear when you walk inside buildings etc will put a lot of people off.

What will be interesting will be the combination of 5G and Starlink - so you will be able to roll out 5G in remote areas cheaply, with Starlink doing the back haul. So, in theory, you could put up a mast in the middle of nowhere, with some solar cells and batteries. Instant GB/s internet.
    It's one of those technologies that I struggle to find any practical usage, is it really that much important ?

And in the middle of nowhere where are you going to find customers ?

The only thing that I see is a mature technology that offers diminishing returns with every upgrade.

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

Chocolate tea pot

Concrete pillow

A nun's dildo

A crocheted condom

Nipples on a breastplate

You mean you have four wives???
    Maybe nun of them use dildos though.

I’ll get my dressing gown.

Good night.

CatMan said:

Errr none. The increased economic growth will more than pay for it. Plus the benefit of all those extra EU Doctors and Nurses who will be able to come over and work in them.

Or we could just borrow the money, that doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment ;)
    edited January 2020

Don't you mean France??
    Vive La France...

(Sorry, I'm feeling emotional, I've just picked up my French passport. Now all I need to do is *learn* French and I'll be set for life)
    speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

On topic -

It's one of those technologies that I struggle to find any practical usage, is it really that much important ?

The only thing that I see is a mature technology that offers diminishing returns with every upgrade.
    It’s not about your mobile phone - rather the capacity to connect with orders of magnitude of more stuff.
    Most of us would struggle to find practical usage - but most of us aren’t developing the next generation of tech.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

Chocolate tea pot

Concrete pillow

A nun's dildo

A crocheted condom

Nipples on a breastplate

Just the one.

More interesting conversation than Brexit anyway.
    speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

On topic -

It means that the suddenly you can get high speed internet in bits of the country which aren't in cities. I know people 30 minutes from London mainline stations who would kill for that. It's quite often a limiting factor ing working from home.

CatMan said:

That would be from the Brerentry dividend.... OK, I need to work on that.
    CatMan said:

CatMan said:

Errr none. The increased economic growth will more than pay for it. Plus the benefit of all those extra EU Doctors and Nurses who will be able to come over and work in them.

Or we could just borrow the money, that doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment ;)
    It's gone. Give it up.
    isam said:

Did somebody say Villa each way?

I said that Villa were value at 5.2 before the kickoff.

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

By the time we rejoin we will have fallen so far behind the EU average that we will not make a net contribution.

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

It's gone. Give it up.
    Lol, I gave up a long time ago!

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

It's gone. Give it up.
    Nah, as you can see from the header, Brexit is more unpopular than ever.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    Lots of people around tonight who seem to think Remain "won the argument".
    Nigelb said:

It’s not about your mobile phone - rather the capacity to connect with orders of magnitude of more stuff.
    Most of us would struggle to find practical usage - but most of us aren’t developing the next generation of tech.

If it's not about phones or computers then it's not important.
    Endillion said:

Well it didn't in 2016. In 2056, who knows...
  • Nigelb said:

CatMan said:

That would be from the Brerentry dividend.... OK, I need to work on that.
    Brejoin, surely.
  • Foxy said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

It's gone. Give it up.
    Nah, as you can see from the header, Brexit is more unpopular than ever.
    Tories 365
    LDs 11

:innocent:
    CatMan said:

Endillion said:

And then in 2096 we leave again.
    The biggest obstacle to rejoin will be that we will have to go through all this again.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    "The FCO advise against all but essential travel to the rest of mainland China (not including Hong Kong and Macao)."

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,034
    CatMan said:

Don't you mean France??
    Vive La France...

(Sorry, I'm feeling emotional, I've just picked up my French passport. Now all I need to do is *learn* French and I'll be set for life)
    You can get a French passport without speaking French?

Wow. They've changed.
    speedy2 said:

CatMan said:

Endillion said:

The biggest obstacle to rejoin will be that we will have to go through all this again.
    Your confidence in being a member of the 2096 Brexit party is admirable. :smile:
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    On 31 January the pissed-off bandwagon of Leavers angry that they didn't get what they want is about to be replaced by a pissed-off bandwagon of ex-Remainers etc etc. It's easier to represent the angry losers than the complacent winners. Ask Boris.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,034
    CatMan said:

Endillion said:

In 2056 - if there is such an argument to be made - it's far more likely to be about a level of Western political and economic union, including the US and Anglosphere as well as the EU, which we might have a greater level of comfort with.

So, there will be something for everyone there so all sides can continue to claim to have been right all along.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    EPG said:

On 31 January the pissed-off bandwagon of Leavers angry that they didn't get what they want is about to be replaced by a pissed-off bandwagon of ex-Remainers etc etc. It's easier to represent the angry losers than the complacent winners. Ask Boris.

And, the pissed-off bandwagon of ex-Remainers will have the real economy on their side.
    edited January 2020
    speedy2 said:

Wow. They've changed.

I have a French mother, so luckily for me that gives me French citizenship. Unfortunately growing up I was crap at languages, so I never really bothered. I'm trying to rectify it now though!
  • CatMan said:

speedy2 said:

Wow. They've changed.

I have a French mother, so luckily for me that makes me a French National. Unfortunately growing up I was crap at languages, so I never really bothered. I'm trying to rectify it now though!
    [swaggering] Man, I've got GCSE A-grades in both German AND French :)
    Nigelb said:

speedy2 said:

CatMan said:

Endillion said:

Your confidence in being a member of the 2096 Brexit party is admirable. :smile:
    Nothing is certain that far in the future, except the SNP demanding another scottish referendum.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    The House of Bourbon walks amongst us yet....

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1222282766617845761?s=20
This discussion has been closed.