Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The big political betting developments this weekend will not a

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Byronic said:

HAHAHAHAHAHHA FUCKING LOSER REMAINER C&NTS

Only 6 Hs in HAHAHAHAHAHA, and don't call people cents. It's rude.
    LEAVE 52%
    REMAIN 48%

:innocent:
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Byronic said:

Bit early to be totally wankered, but I guess it is a big day for some. Let's hope there is frictionless trade on thrillers.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Just unnecessary and out of context with efforts being made by decent folk on both sides of the argument trying to dial the tone down
    Oh give the F over you pious goon,

After THREE AND A HALF YEARS of Remainers LITERALLY trying to cancel democracy, while sneering at Leavers as racist thick monkeys, one night of hideous gloating is allowed.

Tomorrow we can all be nice again. But tonight, of all nights, we fight.
    The worst side of Brexiteers on display sadly

Fortunately the vast majority would reject such triumphalism and language
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Byronic said:

Bit early to be totally wankered, but I guess it is a big day for some. Let's hope there is frictionless trade on thrillers.
    Tariffs on remaindered thrillers won’t be that bad, surely?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Just unnecessary and out of context with efforts being made by decent folk on both sides of the argument trying to dial the tone down

After THREE AND A HALF YEARS of Remainers LITERALLY trying to cancel democracy, while sneering at Leavers as racist thick monkeys, one night of hideous gloating is allowed.

This is Brexit
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

I could rise to the bait but I have a candle to light.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Jesus, get a life. It's a special day. This is not the time for your measured bleh
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

And by the way, I am normally one of your stoutest allies on here. You are a voice of reason and sanity. I like you.

But this is different. This is like VE Day for some of us. We feel that a hideous foe has been vanquished, with much difficulty, to the extent it almost destroyed our democracy,

Was Churchill magnanimous in victory, maybe in 1947. But not in 1945.
  • Options
    Kevin_McCandlessKevin_McCandless Posts: 392
    edited January 2020
    speedy2 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Oh Lordie, 4 more years of Trump.

How they must be laughing in the White House.
    As I keep saying, Trump is a shoo-in.

I can't remember a more dead cert re-election except perhaps Ronald Reagan although Reagan was in more trouble than Trump at this stage.
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Reagan net approval at this point +17
    Trump net approval -9

Unemployment is rising in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan. All states Trump won by small margins.

That being said, I think the Libertarian candidate (oh please be John McAfee) will do much less well this time around, which probably adds two percentage points to Trump's share.
    Yeah but Reagan had a lot of domestic problems going into 1980. Trump's in a stronger position. And never mind 'net approval.' It's all about polling against your opponent, where Trump will win hands down.

Weeks before the election, Reagan trailed Carter in most polls. In the Gallup poll on October 26, Jimmy Carter was at 47 percent and Ronald Reagan at 39 percent.

Trump's going to win bigger in the Electoral College than last time.
    There are only really two realistic pick up chances for the Republicans this time around: Virginia and Nevada. (Unless Sanders is the nominee, of course, in which case New Hampshire and a whole bunch of other states come into play.)

Indeed, I could well imagine a situation where the Democrat and Republican vote shares are reversed, but the Democrats end up with more EC votes than in 2016.

The Republican party will not win Virginia for another 40 years unless it's a landslide.
    And unless they lead the party registration vote in Nevada they won't win there either.

There is no realistic pickup for Republicans on a close vote.

New Hampshire is becoming a suburb of Boston.
    Minnessota is a refugee dumping groung for decades.
    Maybe Delaware and Maine in like 8 years.
    You can't really compare Reagan and Trump. Say what you will about his politics, when it came to campaigning and looking presidential, Reagan was the champ. With the economy doing the way it is, Trump should be on track for a 1984 style blow-out. He isn't/

I know Sanders is from Brooklyn but he's been in Vermont a long time. He should have a natural advantage is all of New England.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684
    stodge said:

Perhaps she was insufficiently enthusisastic in the plastering everything with UJ stakes.
    https://twitter.com/PhantomPower14/status/1178621160046632960?s=20

This is typical Johnson and his biggest weakness.
    He says whatever he thinks the audience in front of him wants to hear so he plays to the gallery for the Scottish Conservatives but this act can't and won't work forever and audiences will end up not believing or trusting a word he says.
    Did you say "will"?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

And by the way, I am normally one of your stoutest allies on here. You are a voice of reason and sanity. I like you.

But this is different. This is like VE Day for some of us. We feel that a hideous foe has been vanquished, with much difficulty, to the extent it almost destroyed our democracy,

Get a life.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770
    Byronic said:

This is like VE Day for some of us.

Ermmm...ok...
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Byronic said:

This is like VE Day for some of us.

Ermmm...ok...
    You don't understand, and never will
  • Options
    Darts on itv 4, anyone watching?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Get a life.
    LOSERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601

HYUFD said:
    That's a huge long term mistake from Starmer. Not in terms of becoming Labour leader, but in terms of his chances of eventually becoming PM. Just a month ago he was emphasising the need for Labour to move on from Brexit, which showed some tactical maturity.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/keir-starmer-urges-labour-move-21218461

Now this speech effectively contradicts that and will be thrown back in his face. The Tories will love it if they can make the 2024 GE about whether or not the UK once again allows unrestricted migration from the EU.

It won't do Starmer any harm in the Labour leadership contest itself. However, the irony is that he's already so far ahead in the contest that he needs to be focused beyond that.

I doubt it will make much difference to anything. Johnson has proved you can say one thing one year and something comletely different the next and it doesn't matter, if the zeitgeist is with you. Come 2024 Brexit will either have been a success or failure. That is what will matter.

I disagree, even though I would like to think that you are right. This is a totemic issue. It's almost as though he's saying that he's reflected on the lessons of the immediate open borders policy to EU accession countries championed by Barbara Roche in 2004 and is shouting from the rooftops that the only lesson is that the UK should do exactly the same again.

Even if in years to come he attempts some backsliding, he'll then run the risk of (a) no-one believing that he means the backsliding on migration whilst (b) developing a more generalised reputation as a slippery character, such that he isn't believed on other stuff either. Worst of both worlds really.

Anyway, Starmer's opponents are already using it ruthlessly to define him e.g.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7952535/Labours-Keir-Starmer-vows-bring-freedom-movement-prime-minister.html

• Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Jesus, get a life. It's a special day. This is not the time for your measured bleh
    Nor is it time for your divisive attitude, and I support brexit
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    OK. Who gave Byronic his drink early?

:D
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

He’s just embarrassing himself. No issue here.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    End of 2020, trade talks over, oops out of time,
    So tonight we're gonna party like it's 1959
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Embrace the rancour. It is salutary.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Get a life.
    LOSERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Such a little man.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,775
    Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Tariffs on remaindered thrillers won’t be that bad, surely?
    If I recall correctly, 40% of a certain author's revenue stream comes from Germany. Although that may have changed since the film deal...
  • Options
    People said there would be about 100 people in Parliament Square. There are thousands. This is big. Of course it is big.

It means we, as a democracy, managed to do what France, Ireland, Holland etc etc failed to do,: we fought off the EU Establishment, and the people were heard, and the referendum was honoured, and the people won. This is enormous. This is globally significant.

Fuck tariffs and VAT ad whatever. This is another incredible achievement for an ancient democracy. THE global democracy.

FFS you withered old twats, this is amazing.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    You’d think the Leavers in Parliament Square would be all happy and in celebratory mood.

Sadly some there can’t just stop the hate and bile. Parading around with lock up the traitors banners!

• Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Churchill was famously magnanimous in victory: there's even a saying about it. Have a read of his speech following the death of Chamberlain, a man he did not like and profoundly disagreed with.
  • Options
    Does anyone have the updated tallies for the labour leadership races please?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Byronic said:

People said there would be about 100 people in Parliament Square. There are thousands. This is big. Of course it is big.

It means we, as a democracy, managed to do what France, Ireland, Holland etc etc failed to do,: we fought off the EU Establishment, and the people were heard, and the referendum was honoured, and the people won. This is enormous. This is globally significant.

Fuck tariffs and VAT ad whatever. This is another incredible achievement for an ancient democracy. THE global democracy.

You need something to give you pleasure Sean
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Get a life.
    LOSERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Such a little man.
    I sense your pain, I do not share it.

You're a decent chap. I suggest you ignore me for the next few hours, because I will be exultant and belligerent.

Tomorrow let us talk again, as free Britons. Finally.
  • Options
    Meanwhile Brillo is having a prolapse over a kids' programme.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1223324986724769792?s=20
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

I agree the vast majority would reject the boorishness. I have some sympathy for Byron. The destination for Brexit is barely managed mediocrity. Byron has a vision for Brexit that is exciting and dangerous, even if it's a figment of his addled imagination.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Get a life.
    LOSERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Such a little man.

You're a decent chap. I suggest you ignore me for the next few hours, because I will be exultant and belligerent.

Free Britons ! It’s not a war !
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Get a life.
    LOSERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Such a little man.

Was free yesterday. Am free now. Will be free tomorrow.

From 11pm the Brexiteers have to come good on all their promises.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    nico67 said:

Byronic said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Jonathan said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Get a life.
    LOSERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Such a little man.

Free Britons ! It’s not a war !
    Doesn't mean we weren't subjugated under the Brussels jackboot.

:)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,219

@kinabalu

Who's your favourite USA president?

Clinton. But that's favourite not best.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    From the BBC. MEP’s have voted for universal charging cables for mobiles. Same charger for Samsung, Apple etc.
    At first sight that’s a Good Idea.
    Won’t happen in UK of course!
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

From the BBC. MEP’s have voted for universal charging cables for mobiles. Same charger for Samsung, Apple etc.

Seeing as they will all be wireless charging very soon is this such a good move?
  • Options

The BBC is doomed and is, very sadly, turning into a piece of shit. This is one thing Nats and Brexiteers can be agreed upon. I wish it were not the case
  • Options

Why not
  • Options

So no company can innovate with a newer, better cable?

Hopefully everyone moves on to wireless charging but banning innovation doesn't seem smart. Almost all companies have already moved to standard ones anyway.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Why not? Will apple and Samsung make uk specific handsets?
  • Options

Why not
    Quite. The EU decide. We follow. Had better get used to it.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

At least the word British is used when talking about our past. Unlike German...
  • Options
    Anna Botting unashamedly pro EU aggressive reporting tonight has misjudged the tone completely
  • Options

Why not
    Just being a bit sarcastic. I’d agree about wireless charging though.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Well, we wouldn't use the word German to describe our past, would we? Well, except when it comes to royalty..
  • Options
    It’s a real shame that some Leavers in Parliament Square instead of being good ambassadors for the country are stamping on EU flags and making offensive gestures .

And these are the images being shown all round the world . Really shameful .

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Why not
    For once this is not point scoring. It has already been discussed and of course it will be the manufacturers who decide, not the EU or anyone else to be honest
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

@kinabalu

Best is probably Lincoln or JFK, right?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Byronic said:

Why has Sean T always been allowed to get away with the sort of personal abuse of other posters that would see anyone else banned?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Well, we wouldn't use the word German to describe our past, would we? Well, except when it comes to royalty..
    Just to be clear, I was referring to the use of the word Nazi rather than German.
  • Options
    It's a phoney comparison with 1945. Then the nation was united against a foreign foe. Even the little princesses snuck out of BP to join the merry throng, if rumour is correct. Today the true comparison is with 1649: a narrow victory in a long internecine conflict that most people didn't want in the first place. It led directly to one of the worse decades in English history, at the end of which the insurgents came out with their hands up, begging for mercy (which some of them didn't receive).
  • Options

kinabalu said:

@kinabalu

Woodrow Wilson?
  • Options
    Oh god the Remainer sneering on Sky is still going on, Fuck them. Really. They deserve no pity, and no good manners. They are dismal and possibly wicked.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Why not
    For once this is not point scoring. It has already been discussed and of course it will be the manufacturers who decide, not the EU or anyone else to be honest
    It doesn’t work that way. The EU set standards that manufacturers adhere to. We will follow along.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Byronic said:

Why has Sean T always been allowed to get away with the sort of personal abuse of other posters that would see anyone else banned?
    Because I am not SeanT? Perhaps?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

OllyT said:

Byronic said:

If Mike Smithson has proof that I AM SeanT let him show it. I am not.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    OllyT said:

Byronic said:

I thought naming a poster who wished to remain anonymous was the thing that got people banned! #whyalwaysme
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Oh god the Remainer sneering on Sky is still going on, Fuck them. Really. They deserve no pity, and no good manners. They are dismal and possibly wicked.

Ignoring your fruity language I agree and Sky have just lost the tone of the event. Now interviewing Vince Cable who bemoans the result
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
    Is there an exit poll at 11pm?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Seeing as they will all be wireless charging very soon is this such a good move?
    Anti innovation bureaucratic busy bodying.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    OllyT said:

Byronic said:

Boffing all those women in the media, a journalist then an author. Well it is pretty obvious what his next job is, keep on the PB inside for the goss.
  • Options

It's a phoney comparison with 1945. Then the nation was united against a foreign foe. Even the little princesses snuck out of BP to join the merry throng, if rumour is correct. Today the true comparison is with 1649: a narrow victory in a long internecine conflict that most people didn't want in the first place. It led directly to one of the worse decades in English history, at the end of which the insurgents came out with their hands up, begging for mercy (which some of them didn't receive).

It's also like the civil wars (plural) of the seventeenth century due to three different disputes going on in England, Scotiand and Ireland, with different motivations but feeding off each other.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    IshmaelZ said:

Why not? Will apple and Samsung make uk specific handsets?
    No, but I don't know of any manufacturer of smartphones that varies their connectors by the regional market. That's one thing that remains constant on a model of smartphone. Even when things like frequency bands, Wi-Fi, NFC, memory configurations, or the software changes, the connectors remain the same.

I think it's a bad idea, if would be absurd if Apple, who have been major proponents and developers of connectors like USB in its first iteration, Firewire, Thunderbolt, Lightning, and the USB Type-C connector were obliged to stick with a connector.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238

kinabalu said:

@kinabalu

What did JFK actually do, other than rape his teenage secretaries?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Why not
    It doesn’t work that way. The EU set standards that manufacturers adhere to. We will follow along.
    With US companies it does and anyway it has long been sought after, even outside your precious EU
  • Options

kinabalu said:

@kinabalu

Woodrow Wilson?
    I don't know much about him, was he alright?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Why not
    So will China and the USA, in the sense that we will all buy the new USB C iphone. It is hard to come up with a thoroughly crap anti brexit point, but I think you have cracked it.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Why not
    With US companies it does and anyway it has long been sought after, even outside your precious EU
    We used to get a day. Now we don’t. Simple really. It’s ok, because Boris has promised us milk and honey.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Why not
    We do not manufacture mobile phones. Samsung and Apple would need to agree and the EU has little influence with them
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,352
    Have we left yet???
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Why not
    We do not manufacture mobile phones. Samsung and Apple would need to agree and the EU has little influence with them
    That’s not true.
  • Options
    Wireless charging is a gimmick, you can't even use the phone while it's charging!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Have we left yet???

Nearly.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

OllyT said:

Byronic said:

The purge begineth. Remainers Revenge?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Well, they did make such a good job of telling people to f*** off and join the Tories that 1 in 3 off their voters f***ed off and joined the Tories. What else did you expect as a follow-up act?
    OllyT said:

Byronic said:

I've experienced worse on here, and not from him, either.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Why not
    That’s not true.
    Explain please
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,102
    edited January 2020
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Just to be clear, I was referring to the use of the word Nazi rather than German.
    If you're suggesting that Germany doesn't want to refer to its Nazi past, I'd say the reverse is true in my experience.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Why not
    That’s not true.
    Explain please
    Look for the CE mark on your phone.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

OllyT said:

Byronic said:

Of course you are not, what on earth could have given me that idea?
  • Options
    edited January 2020

OllyT said:

Byronic said:

I agree
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,102
    edited January 2020

Well, they did make such a good job of telling people to f*** off and join the Tories that 1 in 3 off their voters f***ed off and joined the Tories. What else did you expect as a follow-up act?
    OllyT said:

Byronic said:

Was it that Byronic bloke? He can be a bit fruity also.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

@kinabalu

Woodrow Wilson?
    (Given his rep, are you being humorous?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLiI6kXZkZI
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited January 2020
    A day too late to coincide with the 87th anniversary of the Fuhrer coming to power.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

@kinabalu

Rape is a strong word.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

A day too late to coincide with the 87th anniversary of the Fuhrer coming to power.

Now there was a man truly committed to European integration.
  • Options
    isam said:

OllyT said:

Byronic said:

I thought naming a poster who wished to remain anonymous was the thing that got people banned! #whyalwaysme
    Sean T never made any attempt to remain anonymous, as far as I recall he was for ever promoting his books and bragging about his lifestyle and sexual conquests
  • Options
    isam said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

OllyT said:

Byronic said:

Getting a temporay ban so he can come down from his 'high' is a very SeanT event tbf.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Good evening PB

I assume the party is in full swing? :D
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

@kinabalu

Rape is a strong word.
    Whether you regard his somewhat creepy sexual exploitation of the likes of Mimi Alford as rape or not, the question still stands.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

@kinabalu

Rape is a strong word.
    Whether you regard his somewhat creepy sexual exploitation of the likes of Mimi Alford as rape or not, the question still stands.
    Setting the goal to land a man on the moon is a pretty big deal.
  • Options

isam said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

OllyT said:

Byronic said:

Getting a temporay ban so he can come down from his 'high' is a very SeanT event tbf.
    Although it would be somewhat surprising, I do wonder what the reaction would be if it turned out Byronic really isn’t Sean Thomas. Just somebody who talks like him, travels to the same location as him, drinks like him and has a wife exactly the same age.

Well, it’s possible.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    It is an hour until Brexit and I still do not agree with it, I do not support it and I am not reconciled to it. I would satisfied to see Boris, Farage and their hangers-on roast in Hell for all eternity, except that being an atheist I know there is no such place.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

@kinabalu

Rape is a strong word.
    If he had intercourse with numerous women and it was consent, therefore he was living his life. If not, then it's not good.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

OllyT said:

Byronic said:

Although it would be somewhat surprising, I do wonder what the reaction would be if it turned out Byronic really isn’t Sean Thomas. Just somebody who talks like him, travels to the same location as him, drinks like him and has a wife exactly the same age.

Well, it’s possible.
    Probably a globetrotting callgirl.
  • Options

It is an hour until Brexit and I still do not agree with it, I do not support it and I am not reconciled to it. I would satisfied to see Boris, Farage and their hangers-on roast in Hell for all eternity, except that being an atheist I know there is no such place.

Very fair minded 👍🏻
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Bit harsh on poor old Satan.

That’s lumbering him with Farage, not the atheism bit.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

If you're suggesting that Germany doesn't want to refer to its Nazi past, I'd say the reverse is true in my experience.
    That is true. I suspect it's just our media who don't want to offend any Germans.
This discussion has been closed.