Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The big political betting developments this weekend will not a

Comments

• Options
    Whoa! Byronic got banned?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804

It is an hour until Brexit and I still do not agree with it, I do not support it and I am not reconciled to it. I would satisfied to see Boris, Farage and their hangers-on roast in Hell for all eternity, except that being an atheist I know there is no such place.

But otherwise you're taking it very well... :D
  • Options
    edited January 2020

I think OGH may be executing Order 66 against Brexiteers tonight! ;)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    I assume the dear leader will be addressing us soon?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

It is an hour until Brexit and I still do not agree with it, I do not support it and I am not reconciled to it. I would satisfied to see Boris, Farage and their hangers-on roast in Hell for all eternity, except that being an atheist I know there is no such place.

Just enjoy holding the Brexiteers and Eurosceptics to account for all their unicorns and promises. Give them exactly the same treatment they’ve been dishing out for 30 years.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Wireless charging is a gimmick, you can't even use the phone while it's charging!

Depends upon how you want to use it. I use my phone as a SatNav while driving and have an in-car mount that I put my phone into while I'm driving which both holds my phone where I can see it and wirelessly recharges the phone at the same time.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,183
    RobD said:

I assume the dear leader will be addressing us soon?

I can live with that as long as the PM doesn’t.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I think OGH may be executing Order 66 against Brexiteers tonight! ;)
    Do what must be done! Do not hesitate, show no mercy.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,262
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

OllyT said:

Byronic said:

People said there would be about 100 people in Parliament Square. There are thousands. This is big. Of course it is big.

It means we, as a democracy, managed to do what France, Ireland, Holland etc etc failed to do,: we fought off the EU Establishment, and the people were heard, and the referendum was honoured, and the people won. This is enormous. This is globally significant.

Fuck tariffs and VAT ad whatever. This is another incredible achievement for an ancient democracy. THE global democracy.

FFS you withered old twats, this is amazing.

You need something to give you pleasure Sean
    Why has Sean T always been allowed to get away with the sort of personal abuse of other posters that would see anyone else banned?
    Because I am not SeanT? Perhaps?
    If Mike Smithson has proof that I AM SeanT let him show it. I am not.
    The purge begineth. Remainers Revenge?
    Getting a temporay ban so he can come down from his 'high' is a very SeanT event tbf.
    Although it would be somewhat surprising, I do wonder what the reaction would be if it turned out Byronic really isn’t Sean Thomas. Just somebody who talks like him, travels to the same location as him, drinks like him and has a wife exactly the same age.

Well, it’s possible.
    Regulars know the true position. It’s been proven beyond reasonable doubt several times over.
  • Options
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

isam said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

OllyT said:

Byronic said:

People said there would be about 100 people in Parliament Square. There are thousands. This is big. Of course it is big.

It means we, as a democracy, managed to do what France, Ireland, Holland etc etc failed to do,: we fought off the EU Establishment, and the people were heard, and the referendum was honoured, and the people won. This is enormous. This is globally significant.

Fuck tariffs and VAT ad whatever. This is another incredible achievement for an ancient democracy. THE global democracy.

Why has Sean T always been allowed to get away with the sort of personal abuse of other posters that would see anyone else banned?
    Getting a temporay ban so he can come down from his 'high' is a very SeanT event tbf.
    Although it would be somewhat surprising, I do wonder what the reaction would be if it turned out Byronic really isn’t Sean Thomas. Just somebody who talks like him, travels to the same location as him, drinks like him and has a wife exactly the same age.

Well, it’s possible.
    Regulars know the true position.
    Unfortunate phrase to use about SeanT...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,722
    edited January 2020
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

OllyT said:

Byronic said:

Well, it’s possible.
    I'm working on the basis that there are two distinct personalities who are never awake at the same time, would like to meet but can never quite make it, and are legitimately puzzled about the rumours, but who have the same literary agent and the same psychiatrist, who quite enjoy getting two sets of fees.

I think the film looks like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPEzcAG4E5s
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,399

He deserved it for denying his identity. It's annoying to be baldly lied to.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,197
    SeanT said:

I have returned, Solely to prove that I am not this absurd imposter "Byronic"

I find him execrable, That is not transphobia, I love people with gender opacity. It was his prose style which offended.

BREAKING!!!!
  • Options

SeanT said:

I find him execrable, That is not transphobia, I love people with gender opacity. It was his prose style which offended.

BREAKING!!!!
    Bigger news than Brexit Day
  • Options
    One hour to go before planes fall out of the sky, or possibly we'll all get an extra £10,000 in our bank accounts.

Can't be much fun for the newspaper previewers who tweet the first editions since almost every front page will be updated with an 11pm photo.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I have returned . . .

What a remarkable coincidence. Have you settled up with Mr Glenn?
  • Options

One hour to go before planes fall out of the sky, or possibly we'll all get an extra £10,000 in our bank accounts.

Can't be much fun for the newspaper previewers who tweet the first editions since almost every front page will be updated with an 11pm photo.

I was promised a war with France. Maybe that's on the back burner for the time being.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Who are you? A Lib Dem I think.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

He turned me into a newt.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,262
    SeanT said:

He did share your inability to master characterisation.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Really sad and depressed all day today....fucking Boris Johnson, Farage and Cummings....notright Brexit fuckwits,,,just fuck off....all of this nihilistic bollocks....what can you say????

And this is me being generous and eloquent......
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549

SeanT said:

I have returned . . .

What a remarkable coincidence. Have you settled up with Mr Glenn?
    Yup
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    tyson said:

Really sad and depressed all day today....fucking Boris Johnson, Farage and Cummings....notright Brexit fuckwits,,,just fuck off....all of this nihilistic bollocks....what can you say????

Why do you not moan about your own side for being incompetent?
  • Options
    It's like a political NYE. Very odd.

*BONG*
  • Options

How long for?
  • Options
    tyson said:

If I were Kier Long Nandy's SpAd, I'd be cataloguing Boris's old columns about outrageous EU regulations, so the new LotO can ask at PMQs, one rule a week, why his government has not abolished it.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Are you OK?
  • Options
    tyson said:

Mrs Soup and I were invited to a mourning party but decided to stay away in case it turned into a Jonesville-style massacre as the assembled glitterati whipped themselves into a fury and concluded that the world was no long good enough for the likes of us.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tyson said:

Really sad and depressed all day today....fucking Boris Johnson, Farage and Cummings...

TBF, that does sound like a *very* depressing day.
    :D:D:D
  • Options
    I'm always deeply suspicious of these moment-of-destiny flatulencies - never precede anything other than disappointment. Give me dull, earnest, piecemeal tinkering any day.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    IshmaelZ said:

A newt?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2020
    Well, I've broken the news to our two cats that in three quarters of an hour they formally lose their EU freedom of movement rights, but that under Withdrawal Agreement nothing changes in practice until the end of the year. I have to report back that they seemed completely uninterested in the loss of a right they've never been minded to exercise; instead they were much more focused on making it clear that the Whiskas With Chicken we'd bought for them does not meet with feline approval.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

A newt?
    I got better.
  • Options

I'm always deeply suspicious of these moment-of-destiny flatulencies - never precede anything other than disappointment. Give me dull, earnest, piecemeal tinkering any day.
    I think the Mirror are being ironic.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I was promised a war with France. Maybe that's on the back burner for the time being.
    That, er, "fly-by" at 11.00pm.......are they usually travelling supersonic?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,341

Well, I've broken the news to our two cats that in three quarters of an hour the formally lose their EU freedom of movement rights, but that under Withdrawal Agreement nothing changes in practice until the end of the year. I have to report back that they seemed completely uninterested in the loss of a right they've never been minded to exercise; instead they were much more focused on making it clear that the Whiskas With Chicken we'd bought for them does not meet with feline approval.

Was it chlorinated chicken. If it was blame Trump.
  • Options

I think the Mirror are being ironic.
    It’s not reflective of their views?

I’ll get my coat.

Good night.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

That's a depressing headline - it assumes that someone else is responsible
  • Options
    Could Coronavirus be the Jenga block to kick off the next recession?

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1223367099235684352?s=20
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,768

Well, I've broken the news to our two cats that in three quarters of an hour the formally lose their EU freedom of movement rights, but that under Withdrawal Agreement nothing changes in practice until the end of the year. I have to report back that they seemed completely uninterested in the loss of a right they've never been minded to exercise; instead they were much more focused on making it clear that the Whiskas With Chicken we'd bought for them does not meet with feline approval.

I've always hated cats.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Just hope that dogs don't suddenly prefer their pal to their lassie..
  • Options
    Do you think tourism footfall will increase or decrease due to Brexit?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Is being a cat an excuse for political apathy? Not in my book.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    I’m actually relieved it’s nearly all over .

Once the GE result came in I just wanted the whole thing over with as quickly as possible . The previous deadlines which came and went still offered hope that the UK might still change course .

Waiting for today has been quite painful ! I’m incredibly sad to see the UK leaving , even though my EU citizenship remains and I recently celebrated my new passport and ID card I feel really bad for those that weren’t so lucky and wanted to keep their FOM.

• Options

Do you think tourism footfall will increase or decrease due to Brexit?

Do you think tourism footfall will increase or decrease due to Kung Flu?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Purrfectly reasonable if you ask me!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955

From the BBC. MEP’s have voted for universal charging cables for mobiles. Same charger for Samsung, Apple etc.
    At first sight that’s a Good Idea.
    Won’t happen in UK of course!

So no company can innovate with a newer, better cable?

Hopefully everyone moves on to wireless charging but banning innovation doesn't seem smart. Almost all companies have already moved to standard ones anyway.
    They're not actually insisting on a common cable, the story is wrong. They are insisting on common charging standards. That means the cable to charger interface has to be standard.
  • Options
    BEST president IMO is LBJ. Achieved a lot in a short time and most of it good.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Sedgefield. The CLP who interviewed a young Tony B at the last minute and the rest was history...

Jeez.

https://twitter.com/CLPNominations/status/1223354882519900160
  • Options
    A constituency that had a 25,000 labour majority 22years who now has a Tory MP with a 4,000 majority.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,200
    Must say Katty Kay's jacket on the BBC is rather snazzy.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,942
    kinabalu said:

Surely they will want letting out but then immediately start yowling to be let back in again?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,449
    The BBC coverage is, as usual, pretty crap.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    SeanT said:

Did you vote Leave or Remain?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

From the BBC. MEP’s have voted for universal charging cables for mobiles. Same charger for Samsung, Apple etc.
    At first sight that’s a Good Idea.
    Won’t happen in UK of course!

So no company can innovate with a newer, better cable?

Hopefully everyone moves on to wireless charging but banning innovation doesn't seem smart. Almost all companies have already moved to standard ones anyway.
    They're not actually insisting on a common cable, the story is wrong. They are insisting on common charging standards. That means the cable to charger interface has to be standard.
    Do you mean they all have to be eg USB Type C? So no Lightning etc?

Or the connection to the charger block so they all need to be USB? Aren't they all already USB?
  • Options
    tyson said:

The 17.4m offer tyson a group hug......
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,566
    edited January 2020
    If Cameron had called a referendum in about 2011 I think the result would have been something like Remain 52%, Leave 48%. But the LDs would have blocked it so he would have had to have won a majority in 2010.
  • Options

A constituency that had a 25,000 labour majority 22years who now has a Tory MP with a 4,000 majority.
    Yeh, but Pidcock assures us that Tony Blair was the one reason she lost in a nearby seat.

Her and her ilk are determined to make sure Labour never return to office.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Thornberry has had at least 3 CLP nominations tonight.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,744
    edited January 2020

Sedgefield. The CLP who interviewed a young Tony B at the last minute and the rest was history...

Jeez.

https://twitter.com/CLPNominations/status/1223354882519900160

This is what happens when grown-ups follow the advice to "eff off and join the Tories", taking their supporters with them.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Totnes is one of them I think.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Yes, definitely a surge.
  • Options
    I'm going to celebrate Brexit by ignoring it and watching Top of the Pops 1989 on BBC4.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

If Cameron had called a referendum in about 2011 I think the result would have been something like Remain 52%, Leave 48%. But the LDs would have blocked it so he would have had to have won a majority in 2010.

Interesting counterfactual, but such a narrow margin wouldn't have settled it. The options are asymmetric: leave means leave but remain means try again.
  • Options
    Jeez, imagine turning up on this train and finding you have reserved the empty seat in this photo...

https://twitter.com/sajidjavid/status/1223186493361000448
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,317

Meanwhile Brillo is having a prolapse over a kids' programme.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1223324986724769792?s=20

I notice they described Queen Victoria as foreign.

So they are saying that British people born in Britain are foreign if some of their ancestors were originally from other countries ?

Sounds like racism and xenophobia to me.
    I must admit, that half-baked piece of political propaganda aimed at influencing our children by that renowned self-aware “comedian” Nish Kumar rather did boil my piss.

Do the BBC want to be abolished?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I'm going to celebrate Brexit by ignoring it and watching Top of the Pops 1989 on BBC4.

Very wise.

But my candle lighting awaits.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

LDs have had a shocker, haven’t they?
  • Options
    Democrats lose the witness vote.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,231
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Oh Lordie, 4 more years of Trump.

Gods I hope not. But it is a scenario where I think the classic faux concern about how opponents handle things (eg remainers) would actually be true - there's a lot of media and celebrity figures who have become utterly obsessed in their coverage of Trump and how awful he is, and if the american electoral system were to return Trump to the White House once again, I think some people may just explode.
    Well there always has to be a silver lining.
  • Options

Jeez, imagine turning up on this train and finding you have reserved the empty seat in this photo...

You would be able to have a very interesting political debate
  • Options
    Hope Gina and Jolyon aren't knocking up a judge in Edinburgh to get one final injunction to keep us in! :D
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,200

Where is this mysterious place they call 'north England'?
  • Options
    No telly or music or anything for me. I'm sitting here in the dark and on my own and in complete silence. The only sound is the gentle tapping on my phone as I type these final words as a European citizen with the right to live and work anywhere I please in this great and ancient continent of ours that has seen so much.

And for what? So a bunch of low IQ, pig ignorant, xenophobic softheads can go around feeling a bit more "sovereign" as they carry on getting worked over by the hedge fund City public school complex.

Ah well. 😟
  • Options
    Lisa Nandy being complete pants on Newsnight. Torys have nothing to fear if she wins.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

It looks surprisingly flat. Does anyone live there?
  • Options
    Yokes said:

I'd like to see them three in the Big Market at around this time on a Friday night.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Hope Gina and Jolyon aren't knocking up a judge in Edinburgh to get one final injunction to keep us in! :D

Jolyon has been quiet of late.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2020
    If this report is accurate, the fantasists running the government have learnt nothing:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/01/31/boris-johnson-ramps-pressure-eu-plans-impose-full-customs-border/

“We are planning full checks on all EU imports - export declarations, security declarations, animal health checks and all supermarket goods to pass through Border Inspections Posts,” said a senior Whitehall source with knowledge of the plans. “This will double the practical challenge at the border in January 2021.”
    UK negotiators hope the move will increase their leverage in the negotiation, raising the cost of a ‘WTO-exit’ for the EU.

A senior EU source rejected the idea. “We saw similar threats from Theresa May, but frankly we never believed them. And if the UK is actually ready for border checks - which are indeed coming - then so much the better for both sides.”
  • Options
    This a big day for people who feel like they personally made the case for Remain despite their single contribution to the effort being getting off their arse to vote at 19.58 pm......
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Perhaps it's a super-injunction and no one is allowed to talk about it? :o
  • Options

If this report is accurate, the fantasists the government have learnt nothing:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/01/31/boris-johnson-ramps-pressure-eu-plans-impose-full-customs-border/

True, but what has the EU learnt?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,231
    I really can't be bothered watching. Hey ho.

No doubt the power will now fail, plague will infect the land (Corona Virus presumably) and there will be a mad dash for the ports.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Jolyon has been quiet of late.
    Foxes everywhere breathing a sigh of relief...
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    GIN1138 said:

Is that how it's done?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I really can't be bothered watching. Hey ho.

No doubt the power will now fail, plague will infect the land (Corona Virus presumably) and there will be a mad dash for the ports.

You’re really not missing anything. The coverage is deadly dull.
  • Options

That they have the upper hand in the negotiations.
  • Options
    Shame on @TheScreamingEagles for never using this in a thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

Hand in your pop culture card!
  • Options

If this report is accurate, the fantasists running the government have learnt nothing:

“We are planning full checks on all EU imports - export declarations, security declarations, animal health checks and all supermarket goods to pass through Border Inspections Posts,” said a senior Whitehall source with knowledge of the plans. “This will double the practical challenge at the border in January 2021.”
    UK negotiators hope the move will increase their leverage in the negotiation, raising the cost of a ‘WTO-exit’ for the EU.

A senior EU source rejected the idea. “We saw similar threats from Theresa May, but frankly we never believed them. And if the UK is actually ready for border checks - which are indeed coming - then so much the better for both sides.”

They are just being realistic and implementing what has been agreed in the PD. Why are you criticising the Govt for doing what hey have said they will do?
  • Options
    edited January 2020

That they have the upper hand in the negotiations.
    Don’t be so pessimistic. Everyone is amazing. We are less than 10 mins from 350M quid a week.
  • Options
    Five minutes left.

You can still boil an egg whilst in the EU.
This discussion has been closed.