Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Henry G Manson: Main focus for LAB in North East is winning

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited April 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Henry G Manson: Main focus for LAB in North East is winning back the North Tyneside mayoralty from the Tories – not the S Shields by-election

There has been some discussion this week on the strength of didn’t women MPs in the Conservative Party and in Labour with some wondering if there will be another ‘Margaret’ in the near future. I can’t spot many, although a couple of years ago I wrote this piece asking if one newly elected female MP could be a ‘Thatcher’ to Cameron’s ‘Heath’.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First !
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    Latest YouGov / The Sun results 18th April - CON 33%, LAB 40%, LD 10%, UKIP 11%; APP -28

Internals showing downward drift for Labour too....
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Labour to share the proceeds of growth?

"Arguing the cuts may be unnecessary, the [Fabian] study says that, if the economy is growing by about 2 per cent annually, public spending could rise by 1 per cent a year and Labour could achieve Mr Osborne’s target of seeing debt falling by 2016-17 two years later – or sooner than 2018-19 if taxes were increased."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/exclusive-labour-bets-the-house-with-pledge-to-outspend-tories-8579179.html
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    A good piece by Henry, and there's not much I can add. I would refine the comment though that North Tyneside is "of the Conservative Party’s remaining northern defences". It is, but significantly it's of the Conservative Party’s remaining *urban* northern defences. The Conservatives remain the predominant party in the north of England throughout the rural areas.

On a related note, it's always worth noting what's *not* happening. Considering that UKIP are contesting so many seats across the country this year, and that North Tyneside is one of the biggest prizes going in May, why are UKIP not putting up a candidate?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    YouGov

Here are some statements that different people
    make about different political parties. In each
    case, which party do you think it applies to
    most - the Conservatives, Labour or the Liberal
    Democrats?

The kind of society it wants is broadly the kind
    of society I want:
    Con29(+2); LAB28(-1); LD12(+1); None20(-2); DK10(-2)

It is led by people of real ability
    Con20(+2); LAB14(-3); LD5(0); None47(+1); DK14(-1)

Its leaders are prepared to take tough and unpopular decisions
    Con50(+2); LAB10(-1); LD4(0); None25(+1); DK12(-1)

It seems to chop and change all the time: you
    can never be quite sure what it stands for
    Con23(-2); LAB24(+2); LD31(+3); None9(-1); DK14(0)

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Millsy said:

Labour to share the proceeds of growth?

"Arguing the cuts may be unnecessary, the [Fabian] study says that, if the economy is growing by about 2 per cent annually, public spending could rise by 1 per cent a year and Labour could achieve Mr Osborne’s target of seeing debt falling by 2016-17 two years later – or sooner than 2018-19 if taxes were increased."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/exclusive-labour-bets-the-house-with-pledge-to-outspend-tories-8579179.html

Sounds like Gordon Brown all over again - are they promising to cut spending if the economy shrinks or is it a one way street ?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    It was reported last night (BBC) that Ireland may have to further cut public sector salaries by 7% in order to keep coming the EU/IMF loans.

Is EdM prepared to make a similar announcement in 2015?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,889
    It's all kicked off in Boston: a suspect shot dead or captured, and reports of someone throwing grenades out of a car at police.

As usual, treat such reports with caution. We're in the fog of up-to-the-minute reporting.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Watching TV in Boston now. Hundreds of police at the scene in Watertown just west of MIT. Being covered by CNN and local network affiliates.

It's all kicked off in Boston: a suspect shot dead or captured, and reports of someone throwing grenades out of a car at police.

As usual, treat such reports with caution. We're in the fog of up-to-the-minute reporting.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914

If true, it sounds like the end-game.

• Options
    FBI at the scene too as well as local and state police.
  • Options
    There were reports of explosions and undetonated devices in Watertown, but some of the media here has not exactly covered itself in glory with unfounded speculation.
  • Options
    That means "Blue".
    SeanT said:

One of the suspects in the Boston bombing/shooting goes by the name 'Sunil'.

• Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    edited April 2013
    SeanT said:

Apparently.

Was that the Osama looking one or the chunky Kim Jung Il looking one? :)
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

That means "Blue".

SeanT said:

I never knew that
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The CNBC channel is showing paid programming called
    Shaun T's Insanity
  • Options
    Ask Sunil if you do not believe me.
    Blue_rog said:

That means "Blue".

SeanT said:

I never knew that
  • Options
    Claim that one of the marathon bomb suspects is in custody. You might have to scroll down.
    http://live.boston.com/Event/MIT_and_Watertown_shootings
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Well, whoever it is, they clearly fancied going down in flames and can fight.

• Options
    https://twitter.com/sal19/status/325133572954521600

Claim that one of the marathon bomb suspects is in custody. You might have to scroll down.

• Options
    On topic, it looks like a good election but surely an easy Labour win with Lib Dem transfers and disillusioned Tories?
  • Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342

https://twitter.com/sal19/status/325133572954521600

Lots happening in Boston, time for us all to put the telly on.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125
    Looking at the picture on the thread Ed does this man of the people thing with as much grace and ease as Dave. Eating chips in front of the cameras. Tim will reproduce the guiness photo next.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Ed should have chucked away the plastic fork and put HP sauce on the chips!
    DavidL said:

Looking at the picture on the thread Ed does this man of the people thing with as much grace and ease as Dave. Eating chips in front of the cameras. Tim will reproduce the guiness photo next.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    @tim

It's an interesting idea. But obviously depends on a growing economy and homeowners voting for more houses (and lower house prices) when the Tories might offer tax cuts instead.
  • Options
    Like a bingo hall in here for the next 2 years : house house house house house...zzz

Polish builders for Labour...
  • Options

Ed should have chucked away the plastic fork and put HP sauce on the chips!

DavidL said:

Especially when he is oop north.

There are times when you suspect Dr Who was on to something and our political class are indeed a different race.

• Options
    What I find interesting is that even the Fabian society now thinks it is essential that the state grows more slowly than the economy as a whole and therefore shrinks as a share of GDP. Ed Balls should be told.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    If these incidents are linked, and they appear to be, this has the signs of people seeking to drag out an 'event' for high publicity value.

If you take that as correct, it narrows down the nature of the suspects origins.
  • Options
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,889
    DavidL said:

Talking of photos, who saw the picture of Osborne crying on the front page of yesterday's newspapers? It was apparently going to be *the* photo of the funeral and shape the media narrative.

Well, that claim was wrong.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    @DavidL: given that current forecasts are for the economy to grow by less than 1% that would imply a cut in the state sector. Is that what the Fabians are saying?
  • Options
    Nice article Henry - and I suspect very much that Dave will not be happy with the outcome oop north.

(p.s. The opening sentence starts: 'There has been some discussion this week on the strength of didn’t women MPs in the Conservative Party and in Labour ...' ??? - may require an edit)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Guy in white baseball cap is still on the run.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good morning, everyone. P1 starts in a few minutes. Nyooooooooom!
  • Options
    Im guessing here that the two individuals in the shoot out at MIT were actually caught short handed in the midst of planning something rather than an initial organised plan of arrest.
  • Options
    Is that the ferry that features in the film "Get Carter" ?
  • Options
    The Sun breaks cover on the latest, until now, unidentified Yew Tree arrest :

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4894271/Rolf-Harris-sex-abuse-arrest.html

And now R4 reporting as second item after Boston
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The initial speculation was that a guy was trying to rob a 7/11 store and it somehow went wrong and he ended up killing a cop!
    Y0kel said:

Im guessing here that the two individuals in the shoot out at MIT were actually caught short handed in the midst of planning something rather than an initial organised plan of arrest.

• Options
    Two very clever, very warped MIT students does not seem to be too outlandish proposition for what has happened.
  • Options
    Ed M is, according to a speech he is going to give, promising to tear up the free market legacy. So whatever the Fabians may be saying, it doesn't sound as if he's up for reducing the relative size of the state.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    SeanT said:

Very confusing in Boston. Two suspects going down in flames. Bombing devices linked to primitive al Qaeda techniques. A south Asian student named Sunil Tripathi is linked.

Gotta be Muslim terrorism..

And yet some of the FBI photos imply white suspects, and - by the look of them - these are not bearded converts to Islam. They look more like your Timothy McVeigh type nutter.

Imagine if this proves to be a combined operation between right wing survivalists AND al Qaeda. Cognitive overload.

Sunil Tripathi is not a muslim name.
  • Options
    @SeantT

I'd sit tight on exactly what it is. If you put it all together you'd be 75% down the extremist route for sure but there are inconsistencies.
  • Options
    @Tim: I don't think anyone is "partying". What happened at the marathon was horrible; a policeman has now been killed. We don't know who has done these dreadful crimes. People are grieving; people are suffering.

Let's wait and see and hope there are no more deaths.
  • Options
    The glory of the Guinness photo was what it unwittingly revealed about the artificiality of Dave's man of the people pose. It is unbeatable.
  • Options
    David2David2 Posts: 1
    Just for completeness, it should be noted that the former North Tyneside Mayor who had to resign in "the most controversial circumstances" was subsequently cleared of all charges.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/3631916.stm
  • Options
    SO: all politicians doing their "man of the people" pose look daft. I wish they'd stop it.
  • Options
    Being about 4 miles from the "frontline", local news stations are loving this story.
    The local hacks are preening themselves in the hope of getting a job with a national news organisation.
  • Options
    tim is cross because rEd finally digs up a half baked apple pie policy and everyone wants to talk about a huge televised live story with guns, bombs, car chases and death.

Oh come on chaps - tear yourself away from that so we go back to the bingo.

• Options
    SeanT said:

tim said:

SeanT is partying like its Breivik Night again I see.
    Oh look he's found someone with a Hindu name

I'm well aware it's an Indian name, which is why I made my little jest about our own Sunil earlier on, and specifically said 'South Asian name', not Pakistani or Muslim.

Do try and keep up.

There are plenty of South Asian moslems. Mumbai is full of them.

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited April 2013
    tim said:

@Millsy
    And the centrepiece of Labour's manifesto - "a huge house-building programme."
    " housing – a key election dividing line with the Tories."
    Exactly what the country needs.

Labour's infamous promises on housing. Almost every year Labour were in Govt for 13 years they kept making promises on more house ownership and building. In 2007 Brown promised 240,000 houses a year - it never happened. In May 2005 "Gordon Brown, the chancellor of the exchequer, wants to increase the number of homeowners by a million over the next five years, taking the home-ownership rate towards 75%."
    http://www.economist.com/node/4010412

It actually fell below 70%! The record of Labour in Govt was a shocking one of a massive growth in waiting lists and a decline in house ownership.
  • Options
    Video of fit, naked, young man being lead away in handcuffs behind his back shown on CNN.
    Some would sign up for PPV just to see that.
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    tim said:

@Millsy

Like many of Labour's emerging ideas Tim, would have been great in 1997.

File it under "If only"

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

SO: all politicians doing their "man of the people" pose look daft. I wish they'd stop it.

True - but that Guinness snap is in the Pantheon; a truly memorable piece of fakery and a joy to behold!

• Options
    Nothing wrong with a bit of building - but why not build something useful that only the government can facilitate like an airport, a chunnel to Ireland or HS3-4 to Scotland ?

Be as well baking pies for all for a short term consumption boost otherwise.
  • Options
    Will the accused be tried under state or federal law? The former is life without parole in Massachusetts (I think), the latter is the death penalty.
  • Options
    Building more houses is indeed a good idea. Dave is pushing this quite hard too - and failing.

The problem is that unless Westminster passes serious legislation which allows them to bypass / overrule local authorities then the actual planning approvals will continue to stall as they run up against a wall of local nimbyism. Even the more modest relaxation of extension / conservatory rules is falling down as a result of this.

So what is Reward going to do? It's all very well saying 'we'll build more houses'. He can't - unless he breaks the planning system. The issue is the planning system not the willingness / enthusisam to build houses. I want to know what Labour's policy is on planning. Without one it's all hot air.
  • Options
    NBC News: Sources say pressure cooker was found at the scene in #BostonMarathon #WaterTown #MITshooting

Visited an English friend of mine who bought an electric pressure cooker. I had no idea such things existed.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    @ Cyclefree

Quite so . Ed tried to pretend he was in second class compartment if you recall.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Blue_rog said:

That means "Blue".

SeanT said:

I never knew that
    Why would he not believe you
  • Options
    No death penalty in Mass, but it might be more merciful to be executed by the Feds and have it done with.

Will the accused be tried under state or federal law? The former is life without parole in Massachusetts (I think), the latter is the death penalty.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

You were correct, no death penalty since the 80s in MA. Not sure where it will be tried though, not even sure how that is decided.
  • Options
    I made that comment because Sunil has said it before and did not want it misinterpreted as a pop at the Tories.
    malcolmg said:

Blue_rog said:

That means "Blue".

SeanT said:

I never knew that
    Why would he not believe you
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Fat_Steve said:

tim said:

@Millsy

Like many of Labour's emerging ideas Tim, would have been great in 1997.

File it under "If only"

Same for Tories in 2010 then surely considering the good ship HMS Austerity is going down with zero hands (the rats have fled)?

• Options
    Half expecting Osborne to announce that IMF's arse kicking is proof for the need for more Austerity.
  • Options
    RobD said:

You were correct, no death penalty since the 80s in MA. Not sure where it will be tried though, not even sure how that is decided.

Not sure, but it could be that terrorism is a federal offence, so the backgrounds and motives of the bombers could be crucial. If it is treated as "just" murder, then it will probably be state - unless another federal link can be established.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    SeanT said:

tim said:

SeanT is partying like its Breivik Night again I see.
    Oh look he's found someone with a Hindu name

I'm well aware it's an Indian name, which is why I made my little jest about our own Sunil earlier on, and specifically said 'South Asian name', not Pakistani or Muslim.

Do try and keep up.
    Your jest went right over their bigoted heads
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    @BenM
    We're 3 years into a coalition Ben. Labour had 13 years to sort out housing. And anything else. And now - NOW - they''re starting to notice that there are problems.
    They're not suitable for public office.
  • Options
    I'm OK with genial nutters, but not with twisted people.
    SeanT said:

Two very clever, very warped MIT students does not seem to be too outlandish proposition for what has happened.

Tripathi was at Brown.

Two smart twisted nutters looks a decent guess, however.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Half expecting Osborne to announce that IMF's arse kicking is proof for the need for more Austerity.

This is the same IMF who's plans for Greece you have disabused. Bit pick and mix.

You must be happy with the Indy front page Ben - Ed promising that whatever George spends, he will spend more.

• Options
    Lord Ashcroft has done a poll on attitudes to, and among, Britain's ethnic minorities. The UKIP supporters views are revealing :

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4894271/Rolf-Harris-sex-abuse-arrest.html
  • Options

RobD said:

Not sure, but it could be that terrorism is a federal offence, so the backgrounds and motives of the bombers could be crucial. If it is treated as "just" murder, then it will probably be state - unless another federal link can be established.

18 USC 113B defines the federal offence of terrorism (I think).
  • Options
    edited April 2013

"Labour is preparing to fight the 2015 election on a bold but risky pledge to spend more than the Conservatives.

Ed Miliband and Ed Balls will reject the more cautious approach – adopted by Tony Blair in 1997 – of sticking to the Tory government’s public spending limits in favour of a “new economic settlement” for Britain."

It's basically the Hollande approach - but spending more.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

You must be happy with the Indy front page Ben - Ed promising that whatever George spends, he will spend more.

Yup. If true, it's very welcome.

It's what the country needs rather than what the Tories think needs to be done to the country.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

RobD said:

Did you get some time on Tresco ?
  • Options
    That still does not do him justice!
    SeanT said:
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    TGOHF said:

"Labour is preparing to fight the 2015 election on a bold but risky pledge to spend more than the Conservatives.

Ed Miliband and Ed Balls will reject the more cautious approach – adopted by Tony Blair in 1997 – of sticking to the Tory government’s public spending limits in favour of a “new economic settlement” for Britain."

It's basically the Hollande approach - but spending more.

It's pretty difficult to make Osborne look good, but Ed just has.
  • Options
    A animated image showing the similarities between Sunil Tripathi and the suspect:

http://i.imgur.com/3Bh7rkc.gif
  • Options
    BenM said:

TGOHF said:

Yup. If true, it's very welcome.

It's what the country needs rather than what the Tories think needs to be done to the country.
    Well at least we can agree that there will be clear water between the party economic policies at the next election - Labour are planning to drastically change course.
  • Options
    Worth mentioning that if Ed le Rouge is planning on promising to spend, spend and spend again that isn't contrary to Conservative plans: it's contrary to Coalition plans. The Lib Dems will be pleased. They'll play their line about eeeeevil Tories eating babies, and be able to attack Labour for having 'learnt nothing' and being untrustworthy on the economy.
  • Options

Worth mentioning that if Ed le Rouge is planning on promising to spend, spend and spend again that isn't contrary to Conservative plans: it's contrary to Coalition plans. The Lib Dems will be pleased. They'll play their line about eeeeevil Tories eating babies, and be able to attack Labour for having 'learnt nothing' and being untrustworthy on the economy.

Danny Alexander wont hold his seat - I'm sure business secretary Farron and Lord Cable the Banking Tzar will happily break out the chequebook.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Well at least we can agree that there will be clear water between the party economic policies at the next election - Labour are planning to drastically change course.

As the IMF are now urging. The intellectual capital is building up behind Labour as surely as it is draining from the Tories and their ill-conceived failing Austerity experiment.

• Options
    Mr. Flashman, that's a good point about what could happen after the election. Of course, before the last one wasn't Clegg talking about how the Conservatives were wrong on the economy, even though he didn't actually believe that?
  • Options
    "The intellectual capital is building up behind Labour"

How many divisions has the IMF got ? :)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    F1: Bahrain tough on brakes. Might try checking and seeing if anyone's had a brake failure in the previous races.

Edited extra bit: no-one has.
  • Options
    tim said:

@TGOHF

There's certainly clear blue water between Osbornes fantasy projections and his reality - £245 Billion of it.
    Given Osborne can't stick to any of his own plans its hardly reasonable to ask anyone else to stick to one of his moving targets.

Dry your eyes tim - this lurch to the left will be missed by most what with the Boston drama.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,227
    police advice: "do not stop your car for anyone other than a uniformed officer. If you are indoors do not open your door."

wow
  • Options
    Folk may be reading a little too much into one Independent story!
  • Options
    Folk may be reading a little too much into one Independent story!
  • Options
    F1: ok, blog moderation has come into place for pb2. So, in future, when there's no qualifying tip due to silly timezones I'll do the early discussion on Monday, when there may be a qualifying tip I'll put it up on Tuesday, so it's still open on Friday.
  • Options
    PB Tory logic -

Osborne is failing (he is) so Labour must match the Tory strategy?

2015 may be a pivotal election. It should be. The edifice upon which much conservative "success" is built is not just crumbling, it is slumping into the sea.
  • Options
    Still on planning:

The reason property in the UK is so expensive is because of planning. A few decades ago the proportion of a property's total value that was represented by the fact it had planning permission was MUCH lower. Today the value of land with permission vs without is hugely higher. The actual cost of labour and materials to build a house is ALOT less than the total cost including land and planning permission.

No government needs a building plan - the market will do that very forcefully for itself once the planning logjam is cleared. And once the local planning stranglehold is cleared then things like a 3rd runway, power plants, shale, HS2/3/4, etc become easier and cheaper too. All would be massively beneficial for the economy.

It is a simple ideological fight of economy vs protecting the countyside and neighbours' views. The nimby faction is winning hands down over the economy faction. The reason it is so hard is that there is huge emotion in the nimby /CPRE view. It is, as Sir Humphrey would say, a 'courageous' politician who places himself firmly on the 'economy' side of the fence. Dave is a total pantwaist and seems quite unable to legisalte or decide - there'll be no 3rd runway on his watch.

If Redward is willing to place himself in the economy camp and legislate accordingly then that will definitely be good for the economy. But he'll have every bird watcher, greenbelter, nimby, greeny knob in the land fighting him over it. So let him STFU about building and talk instead about planning - because that is the problem. Absent a planning plan then all this building waffle is just him farting into the wind.
  • Options

RobD said:

Did you get some time on Tresco ?

No, just a couple of very windy days on Bryher and St Mary's. a great little trip though. The Scillies are magical.

• Options
    An interesting point - it is possible that the campus cop caught them planting bombs on MIT campus, or at least acting suspiciously, and got killed for his troubles. We could have woken up to another bomb attack.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

No government needs a building plan - the market will do that very forcefully for itself once the planning logjam is cleared.

So the all conquering "market" needs government push to get it going?

Housebuilders sitting on huge landbanks with permission granted at the moment. Not in their interest to utilise it despite the evident social and economic need.

Well done "the market"!

• Options
    The UK and its politics seems so irrelevant right now.
    Though that will change for me when I get back.
This discussion has been closed.