Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Amidst more confusion the Iowa numbers dribble out & Buttigieg

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited February 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Amidst more confusion the Iowa numbers dribble out & Buttigieg moves to a 97% chance on Betfair

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Damn. I'll be back with an FPT.....
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,423
    Have we settled on a pronunciation yet? Butty-geeg? With two hard g sounds (as in 'great'?
  • Options
    FPT....

That Con 49%, Labour 30% poll earlier....

When were the seats last contested that come up in May? I'd assumed that local elections in May will be thirds from those elected in May 2017? Which was Con 38%, Labour 27% LibDems 18%

But I can't see those Metropolitan thirds for 2017. Did thirds only kick in later?

(2018 thirds were when the result was 35% Labour, 35% Cons,16% Libem.

2019 thirds were 28% Labour, 28% Cons, 19% Libdem.)
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Have we settled on a pronunciation yet? Butty-geeg? With two hard g sounds (as in 'great'?

Boot edge
    Boot edge
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited February 2020
    Cookie said:

"Buh-ti-gee-egg"
  • Options
    NorthernPowerhouseNorthernPowerhouse Posts: 557
    edited February 2020

FPT....

When were the seats last contested that come up in May? I'd assumed that local elections in May will be thirds from those elected in May 2017? Which was Con 38%, Labour 27% LibDems 18%

But I can't see those Metropolitan thirds for 2017. Did thirds only kick in later?

Not all councils elect in thirds. 2017 was county elections, which are single member divisions. These will be seats last up in 2016.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Cookie said:

I think it`s Butty-cheek
  • Options
    Anyone watching the snooker?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Stocky said:

Cookie said:

I think it`s Butty-cheek
    it's -- Boot edge edge
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    Is Betfair determining the Iowa caucus winner based on votes or delegates?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Cookie said:

I think it`s Butty-cheek
    To be Frank.... Sheikh Your Booty-gig.

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Tim_B said:

Stocky said:

Cookie said:

I think it`s Butty-cheek
    it's -- Boot edge edge
    Sort of, but that doesn't convey that the first edge is unstressed. Boot-uh-jedge.
  • Options
    I have seen Labour Party investigations into antisemitism concluded faster than this Iowa shit show.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
  • Options

FPT....

If I may, I assume May 2017 may be the relevant date too, which was peak May bubble before May crashed in June.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Read the twitter thread - total wrong un..
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited February 2020
    I wasn't that impressed by Buttigieg who didn't seem to have a lot of accomplishments but the Bernie people in my twitter feed have convinced me he's a man to be reckoned with. Not only can he bring off an immense conspiracy, I like the stylish way he hid it in plain sight by calling his election-rigging company Shadow.
  • Options

I wasn't that impressed by Buttigieg who didn't seem to have a lot of accomplishments but the Bernie people in my twitter feed have convinced me he's a man to be reckoned with. Not only can he bring off an immense conspiracy, I like the stylish way he hid it in plain sight by calling his election-rigging company Shadow.

The Bernie mob do seem to have gone completely nutso over this conspiracy theory.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    When Mayor Pete is 97% likely to win Iowa, it can only be...

... the Butti-Call! :wink:
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:
    Answer: No, they are not between us.....
  • Options
    Welcome to Britain, where all the crime comes from the top.
  • Options
    This surely isn't a sustainable for the whole area...

New Silicon Valley extreme: The 2:30 a.m. tech bus from Salida

https://www.protocol.com/silicon-valley-tech-shuttles
  • Options

Welcome to Britain, where all the crime comes from the top.

SNPae ?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,423
    Tim_B said:

Stocky said:

Cookie said:

I think it`s Butty-cheek
    it's -- Boot edge edge
    Huh - say what you like about Trump: his name might be a source of great hilarity to the under 7s, but at least you can pronounce it.
  • Options
    Budget day in Holyrood tomorrow...
  • Options
    Correction, if CBS is reliable it's "Booty-jedge"
  • Options
    Kirk Douglas has died.
  • Options

FPT....

If I may, I assume May 2017 may be the relevant date too, which was peak May bubble before May crashed in June.
    Yes... peak may, the GE was called while the local elections were taking place. When it seemed a 200 seat majority might even happen.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    edited February 2020

This surely isn't a sustainable for the whole area...

New Silicon Valley extreme: The 2:30 a.m. tech bus from Salida

https://www.protocol.com/silicon-valley-tech-shuttles

A 1h30 commute? Not unheard of in the USA, rich or poor. As the article notes, local housing costs and wage are half what you get by bussing it in to that early shift.

It is notable that the people who have taken this option, portrayed as victims of Bay Area NIMBY, themselves believe too much housing is now being built in their new home towns, to serve other people who have had the same ideas that they had.
  • Options

Kirk Douglas has died.

“I’m Spartacus”
    ;(
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

I have seen Labour Party investigations into antisemitism concluded faster than this Iowa shit show.

Just wait till California. Oh, and Florida.

I wonder how movable the convention is? Would be deeply embarrassing if not all the delegates have actually been agreed upon in time.
  • Options

Kirk Douglas has died.

I am SeanT Spartacus!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    Can someone explain how the hell this absolute fruitcake was Speaker of HoC for a decade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POqBMqi1k_E
  • Options
    Is there any point in putting a small bet on Bernie at 20/1?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2020
    GIN1138 said:

Can someone explain how the hell this absolute fruitcake was Speaker of HoC for a decade?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=POqBMqi1k_E

What an absolute beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.....Lets hope the new speaker continues to be more Betty than Bell-End.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Is there any point in putting a small bet on Bernie at 20/1?

Haven't you heard the DNC and the deep state establishment are fixing the primaries to ensure he won't be on the ticket. At least that's what twitter / some of the more whacky lefty YouTubers are saying.
  • Options

One of the greatest, you'll be sadly missed.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    Tim_B said:

Stocky said:

Cookie said:

I think it`s Butty-cheek
    it's -- Boot edge edge
    Except Americans can't pronounce Ts at the end of words, so Bood edge edge
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    TGOHF666 said:
    I think 16 is too young an age of consent when it's irregardless of the age of the other party. I think it should be staggered to prevent grooming.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,734
    Gabs3 said:

Tim_B said:

Stocky said:

Cookie said:

I think it`s Butty-cheek
    it's -- Boot edge edge
    Except Americans can't pronounce Ts at the end of words, so Bood edge edge
    And also cannot pronounce "Daniel Craig": they consistently pronounce it as "Daniel Creg".
  • Options
    Will Mr Mackay present the budget tomorrow ?

Next SNP leader market just got blown wide open - if only there was one..
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,614
    edited February 2020
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Will be good to see Clarke in ermine.

But where's our JohnO's hereditary dukedom?
  • Options

(Half) Hooray!

twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1225208772534177792?s=20

Also he has nominated Ruth Davidson (not exactly best of buddies with Boris), Iain Austin and John Woodcock.
  • Options
    How about this as an idea for the BBC:

(a) Reduce the licence fee to around £50 (from £154).
    (b) Put commercial adverts on prime time BBC1 programmes.
  • Options
    Clarke and Ruth : yes.

Hammond ? Why ?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    MJW said:
    Was when I checked...Silly me! I followed the link from his Twitter Profile - which clearly hasn't been updated.

https://twitter.com/DerekMackaySNP
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

How long has the Sun sat on this for? :D
  • Options

The Bernie mob do seem to have gone completely nutso over this conspiracy theory.
    It's a reason to think Elizabeth Warren might get the VP spot. They're going to have to give the left something, and nobody can work with Bernie. More so if the race makes it to the convention and they need to buy her off.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    TGOHF666 said:

Hammond ? Why ?

It is generally convention that former chancellor gets it. And unlike Bercow, I don't think there are any suggestions that boring Brian liked to go around bullying staff.
  • Options
    The thing is, he didn't actually do anything physical and he's a MP, therefore not much will happen he'll give the child a few thousand or something..
  • Options

It's a reason to think Elizabeth Warren might get the VP spot. They're going to have to give the left something, and nobody can work with Bernie. More so if the race makes it to the convention and they need to buy her off.
    But don't the Bernie mob dislike Warren though? As they see her as a faker and not genuine on many of the issues that matter to them. One of the big reasons many of them love Bernie is the fact, like Jezza, that he basically hasn't changed his views on anything for 50 years.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,734
    TGOHF666 said:

Hammond ? Why ?

They might need a draught excluder and he's the right shape and consistency.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Andy_JS said:

Is Betfair determining the Iowa caucus winner based on votes or delegates?

State Delegate Equivalents.

Which is why Buttigieg was always in with a good shout. He flooded the rural areas with workers, while Sanders worked on maximizing his turnout at the University of Iowa.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Andy_JS said:

That seems like the worst of both worlds. Still an mandatory telly tax, the BBC will claim even with ads it is no where near enough to sustain quality / programmes that wouldn't be commercially viable / yadda yadda yadda, and also remember that licence fee also ends up with other outlets not just the BBC tv.

The reality is that a) the telly tax is now totally unenforceable and b) the way especially the young consume media doesn't revolve around the live telly or radio.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

How about get rid of the BBC (for television), except as a commissioning mechanism for programs - history or art or science-related - that might not otherwise get made.

This wouldn't have to cost the taxpayer anything, because it could be entirely funded by the sale of existing BBC intellectual property.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

That seems like the worst of both worlds. Still an mandatory telly tax, the BBC will claim even with ads it is no where near enough to sustain quality / programmes that wouldn't be commercially viable / yadda yadda yadda, and also remember that licence fee also ends up with other outlets not just the BBC tv.
    I sort of agree, but it's possibly the only way to avoid the BBC becoming a subscription-only service — which may well be the best solution. I was just trying to think of alternatives.
  • Options

The thing is, he didn't actually do anything physical and he's a MP, therefore not much will happen he'll give the child a few thousand or something..

I think he'll be sacked pretty soon. His career in politics is over.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Gabs3 said:

TGOHF666 said:
    I think 16 is too young an age of consent when it's irregardless of the age of the other party. I think it should be staggered to prevent grooming.
    I'd agree with that. 16 & 20 is dodgy, but probably okay. 16 and 23, 24, 25? No way
  • Options

Isn't "grooming" an offence?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

I sort of agree, but it's possibly the only way to avoid the BBC becoming a subscription-only service — which may well be the best solution. I was just trying to think of alternatives.
    The reality is that a) the telly tax is now totally unenforceable and b) the way especially the young consume media doesn't revolve around the live telly or radio.

The big problem the BBC has is that the likes of YouTube is the go to outlet for the youngsters and Netflix for young adults. And for example the likes of BBC Three YouTube channel does absolutely appalling numbers compared to most successful / popular channels on that platform, shows they don't really have much appeal to those using the YouTube platform i.e. the next generation.
  • Options

But don't the Bernie mob dislike Warren though? As they see her as a faker and not genuine on many of the issues that matter to them. One of the big reasons many of them love Bernie is the fact, like Jezza, that he basically hasn't changed his views on anything for 50 years.
    Yes, the core of Bernie's support hate everyone except Bernie, Cenk Uygur and Michael Moore. But there aren't that many of them, the problem is that they influence a broader group on the left.
  • Options
    From Slate:

As of Wednesday morning, Buttigieg was winning 60 of Iowa’s 99 counties. Sanders had 18 counties. Biden had seven.

Buttigieg did well in nearly every demographic. He was the first choice among women and the second (behind Sanders) among men. He was the first choice among people ages 45 to 64, the second choice among those ages 30 to 44, and—contrary to expectations—the second choice among those ages 17 to 29. He came in first among caucusgoers who had college degrees and second among those who didn’t. He also performed better than expected among nonwhites. Sanders won that constituency easily, but Buttigieg, at 15 percent, led the pack of candidates who trailed behind.

On issue after issue, Buttigieg was either the favorite or second favorite candidate. Among caucusgoers who cared most about health care, he tied for the lead with Sanders. Among those who cared most about foreign policy, he came in second to Biden. Among those who focused on electability, he tied for the lead, drawing 24 percent to Biden’s 23 percent. Sanders got 31 percent of first-time caucusgoers, but Buttigieg was next with 25 percent. In precincts where supporters of marginal candidates had to disband and move to a second choice, the candidate they chose—twice as often as any other candidate—was Buttigieg. He won by being broadly acceptable.
  • Options

Yes, the core of Bernie's support hate everyone except Bernie, Cenk Uygur and Michael Moore. But there aren't that many of them, the problem is that they influence a broader group on the left.
    If Bloomberg got the nomination, I think you could probably power the US national grid for the next 4 years on the amount of heat they would produce from all their outrage.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TGOHF666 said:

How long has the Sun sat on this for? :D
    The most recent text was 5 days ago and the mother only found out last week - so not long, it would appear.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986

One of the greatest, you'll be sadly missed.

Yes, death of an icon no doubt
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    Should keep Sturgeon busy for a but dealing with the fallout
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Should keep Sturgeon busy for a but dealing with the fallout
    Gordon Brown endured by seeing off potential successors.

The void behind Sturgeon just got bigger.
  • Options

You clearly didn't read my comment.
  • Options
    Up to a point, Lord Copper

It's a budget, but not as we know it. Derek Mackay will get to his feet on Thursday afternoon, with a lot of pencilling, and the hope of ink next month.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-51394748
  • Options

Eh ? This isn’t the Catholic Church - This is career ending.
  • Options
    BBC licence is a scam. They need to abolish it.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Eh ? This isn’t the Catholic Church - This is career ending.
    Is that an insult to Catholic church?

Make sure they don't see you typing that.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

AOC, Rashida Tlaib, and the other new far left Democrat reps?
  • Options
    He was the future, once.

So the battle to be the next leader of the party will not just be about who appears the pre-eminent candidate. It will also be about differing views on policy, positioning and strategy. Alternative approaches will be advanced and debated, in public — the SNP will show its workings. There are likely to be fall-outs and rows.

The current leadership’s favoured successor is said to be Derek Mackay, the Finance Secretary at Holyrood. Mackay is wily, able and energetic, and has overseen progressive changes to the Scottish tax system in recent years. He may, however, be seen as too close to Sturgeon.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/09/who-will-succeed-nicola-sturgeon-snp-leader
  • Options
    edited February 2020

You think this is consequence-free for Mackay?

"not much will happen"
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    Mitt Romney. Respect.
  • Options
    538 have updated their forecast with Sanders storming ahead:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-primary-forecast
  • Options
    I usually strongly prefer cock-up over conspiracy, but the Iowa Democratic Party don’t seem to be doing much to reassure me

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1225167351617712128
  • Options

It's a TV Poll Tax.

No one is arrested for not paying a Sky sub or Netflix.
  • Options

It's a TV Poll Tax.

You can't watch those without an account though.
  • Options
    RobD said:

It's a TV Poll Tax.

You can't watch those without an account though.
    Yes, but you're not arrested for not paying, silly!
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    With 92% in Buttigieg's lead with SDE's is down to 0.9%.
    https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/state/iowa

I'm uncalling it on SDE's.

It's just getting to close with all these reports about tabulating errors to say that Buttigieg has won the SDE's right now.

It's like Florida in 2000 but at the start of a Presidential Race not the End of it.

Anyway it's not the first time that the wrong Winner could be announced, in 2012 it was Santorum that won the corrected count instead of Romney who was initially declared the winner.
  • Options
    And I'm still seeing tabulating errors in Iowa myself, like in Emmet County Steyer is getting 10%.

I have to uncall Iowa Sate Delegates for Buttigieg, his lead is down to less than 1% with all this uncertainty about the results.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited February 2020
    ^^^
    Especially as the satellite caucuses have begun reporting, and they're generally going heavily Sanders with zip for Boot Edge Edge Mayor Pete.
  • Options

^^^
    Especially as the satellite caucuses have begun reporting, and they're generally going heavily Sanders with zip for Boot Edge Edge Mayor Pete.

Yep.
    The TV Networks are catching up on it too:

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1225242125144596480

There is the possibility now that Sanders may win the Iowa State Delegates by a margin of 3 Delegates.

That's why I uncalled it.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

AOC, Rashida Tlaib, and the other new far left Democrat reps?
    Fair point
  • Options

"not much will happen"
    Prince Andrew was / is.
  • Options

"not much will happen"
    Prince Andrew was / is.
    Whataboutery.....to confirm, you think "not much will happen" to Mackay?
  • Options

It's a TV Poll Tax.

I know but anyone who has sky or Netflix should have their head's checked, both complete nonsense.
This discussion has been closed.