Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » “Continuity Corbyn” contender Long-Bailey gets the worst ratin

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » “Continuity Corbyn” contender Long-Bailey gets the worst ratings in new Ipsos-MORI poll

!function(){"use strict";window.addEventListener("message",function(a){if(void 0!==a.data["datawrapper-height"])for(var e in a.data["datawrapper-height"]){var t=document.getElementById("datawrapper-chart-"+e)||document.querySelector("iframe[src*='"+e+"']");t&&(t.style.height=a.data["datawrapper-height"][e]+"px")}})}();

Read the full story here

Comments

• Working class hero Sir Keir Starmer does it again.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    35% say they could vote Labour under Starmer but only 28% say they could vote Labour under Long Bailey in the same poll
  • The Emily Thornberry surge is on.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,759
    No, yes, yes yes for me. The last 3 are all miles better than Corbyn but so is my daughter’s cat. Labour’s chronic self indulgence has to be factored in.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,732
    Amazing that she does so badly even among Labour voters.

It’s starting to look as though Corbyn really was a phase.

But whether sanity has returned in time is another question. The damage done to Labour is immense.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

The Emily Thornberry surge is on.

She only has 13 CLPs out of 286 that have nominated, so she remains under the 5% limit.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited February 2020
    Anybody can be PM so all have what it takes. Which have it takes to be a decent PM?

Well, Starmer is a bit of a slippery character, but that he was able to work under Corbyn without putting off non-Corbynites and has support of many places which went Corbynite last time, suggests he is of decent quality.

Nandy has some more interesting things to say but I think is to a degree insincere, which doesn't mean she could not be decent. Thornberry strikes me as tough, but unable to connect with voters. Again, could be ok as a result.

RLB has stepped slightly outside her wheelhouse with some of her comments recently, but fact is she proudly presented as the continuity corbyn candidate (not wanting that specific label doesn't change that) and thus has nothing new to offer the party or country.
  • She's a Wally.
    edited February 2020
    56% of LD voters say they could vote Labour under Starmer but only 22% under Long Bailey.

10% of Tory voters say they could vote Labour under Starmer but only 6% under Long Bailey. 11% could vote for Nandy or Thornberry

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/ipsos-mori-political-monitor-attitudes-labour-leadership-candidates
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    kle4 said:

Anybody can be PM so all have what it takes. Which have it takes to be a decent PM?

Well, Starmer is a bit of a slippery character, but that he was able to work under Corbyn without putting off non-Corbynites and has support of many places which went Corbynite last time, suggests he is of decent quality.

Nandy has some more interesting things to say but I think is to a degree insincere. Thornberry strikes me as tough, but unable to connect with voters.

RLB has stepped slightly outside her wheelhouse with some of her comments recently, but fact is she proudly presented as the continuity corbyn candidate (not wanting that specific label doesn't change that) and thus has nothing new to offer the party or country.

Perhaps RLB has been faking it all along as the full-fat lefty. Now she sees that isn't a strategy for victory the real soft left Becky is emerging from the chrysalis.

Starmer is going to win this so everyone else is irrelevant. He showed moral cowardice about anti-semitism but he is clever and competent in a general sense. A massive improvement even if probably not quite good enough.
  • I still think Labour will regret Richard Burgon not standing for the leadership, he's wasted in the deputy race.
    edited February 2020

I still think Labour will regret Richard Burgon not standing for the leadership, he's wasted in the deputy race.

I’m sure he is, but his drinking habits are no concern of ours.
    A question to the kind and knowledgeable people here on PB. -

I'm dyslectic and getting frustrated with the spell checker that I'm using to do this with, its slow and i think ocatanaly misses things.

Is the 'gramaly' think i see adverts for on you-tube any good, or is there something better you could point me to?
  • MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    edited February 2020
    Starmer is the stop-joke-candidate-RLB one right? We all know he's a busted flush and going to be given the boot eventually in favour of his deputy, assuming that it's Rayner. The electorate remember him.

EDIT: I do like Nandy for some reason but my staunch Labour friend points out to me that it cannot be Nandy AND Rayner. It would be too much.
    BigRich said:

I'm dyslectic and getting frustrated with the spell checker that I'm using to do this with, its slow and i think ocatanaly misses things.

Is the 'gramaly' think i see adverts for on you-tube any good, or is there something better you could point me to?

I’m afraid the answers in my experience are no and no.
  • DavidL said:

Starmer is going to win this so everyone else is irrelevant. He showed moral cowardice about anti-semitism but he is clever and competent in a general sense. A massive improvement even if probably not quite good enough.

Assuming Brexit gets done (sensibly) going into next year and the economy doesn't blow up, how does Starmer win?

I can see him getting a solid 35% of the vote. But most of Boris's coalition is going to stick with him now and he should be able to rely on a base of 40%+ at the next election too. Farage is history as a major force now.

Without winning over direct Tory switchers he ain't going to be PM.
  • A metaphor for Brexit?

A Conservative Party activist who produced a movie promoting Brexit has been jailed after conning the Dragons’ Den entrepreneur James Caan’s business out of a £519,000 investment.

David Shipley, 37, was one of the leading voices behind Brexit: The Movie, which featured Nigel Farage and David Davis, that was released a month before the 2016 referendum.

He admitted fraudulently gaining an investment in his financial recruitment company by altering his tax and bank statements to inflate his earnings.

He approached Mr Caan’s business, Resourcing Capital Ventures, with a Dragons’ Den-style pitch requesting the loan for his firm, Spitfire Capital Advisors.

The activist lied on a P60 form that his salary was £377,000 when in reality he was making under £60,000 and altered bank statements to make it appear that he had just received £540,000 which he said was from commissions.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/brexit-movie-producer-david-shipley-jailed-for-conning-dragons-den-star-james-caans-firm-9v9h8jfl0
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    A continuity hard left candidate has shite ratings... who would have thunk.it?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    The job Starmer is auditioning for is 21st century Kinnock, not Blair.
  • HYUFD said:

56% of LD voters say they could vote Labour under Starmer but only 22% under Long Bailey.

10% of Tory voters say they could vote Labour under Starmer but only 6% under Long Bailey. 11% could vote for Nandy or Thornberry

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/ipsos-mori-political-monitor-attitudes-labour-leadership-candidates

Those Tory to Lab numbers don't represent much more than the usual interelectional churn.

Starmer needs to be getting Tories to pause and think far more than that if he wants to win.
    edited February 2020

DavidL said:

Assuming Brexit gets done (sensibly) going into next year and the economy doesn't blow up, how does Starmer win?

I can see him getting a solid 35% of the vote. But most of Boris's coalition is going to stick with him now and he should be able to rely on a base of 40%+ at the next election too. Farage is history as a major force now.

35% is what Blair got in 2005 and close to what Cameron got in 2010 and would take the Tories from 43% down to 40%. If the LDs also take 5% from the Tories, the Tories would be down to 35%/36% and Starmer could become PM in a hung parliament through a deal with the LDs and SNP.

Given we will almost certainly only get a basic WTO+ trade deal for goods with the EU excluding services, Starmer would pitch for Tory Remainers on a return to the single market ticket and the LDs would do likewise
  • A continuity hard left candidate has shite ratings... who would have thunk.it?

I can assure you, some of my comrades wouldn't and still won't.
    edited February 2020

A continuity hard left candidate has shite ratings... who would have thunk.it?

I can assure you, some of my comrades wouldn't and still won't.
    Even NPEXMP still thinks it.. at least his postings suggest as much..
    HYUFD said:

I think that RLB is probably the best hope the LDs have of remaining relevant in the next few years.

Wonder is any became £25 registered supporters to vote for her? :wink:
    IanB2 said:

The job Starmer is auditioning for is 21st century Kinnock, not Blair.

Starmer will not get a Blair 1997 result, he could get a Cameron 2010 result though a Kinnock 1992 result is also possible
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

kle4 said:

Nandy has some more interesting things to say but I think is to a degree insincere. Thornberry strikes me as tough, but unable to connect with voters.

Perhaps RLB has been faking it all along as the full-fat lefty. Now she sees that isn't a strategy for victory the real soft left Becky is emerging from the chrysalis.

Brave of her if so, but acolytes will be different to their masters, its natural and right.
    ydoethur said:

BigRich said:

I’m afraid the answers in my experience are no and no.
    thanks anyway
  • Can anyone make sense of this one please?

https://twitter.com/CLPNominations/status/1225519634545291276

DavidL said:

The way I look at it is that if Boris does well he wins. If he doesn’t Starmer is not a completely disastrous alternative. But I am watching Ed Balls in Euroland. What a missed opportunity. I could have voted for him, even before the bum lift.

Can anyone make sense of this one please?

Even some Lab members don't have a clear understanding of who these people are or what they stand for, and are there for just voting for who they have herd of. Possibly?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    There's a bunch of hand wavey fluff in here but there is also a lot of fascinating stuff about the Trump social media strategy (and other countries similar efforts)

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/03/the-2020-disinformation-war/605530/
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

There were a lot of people who only turned up to vote for the leader, and went home after that was done?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,955

Active sense of humour?
    edited February 2020
    BigRich said:

HYUFD said:

I think that RLB is probably the best hope the LDs have of remaining relevant in the next few years.

Wonder is any became £25 registered supporters to vote for her? :wink:
    In Tory Remain seats though where the LDs are 2nd the Liberals will be more likely to take the seat if Starmer is the Labour leader and potential replacement PM than Long Bailey as Tory Remainers will be more willing to risk not voting Tory
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2020
    The doctor whose death was being questioned, has actually died and it seems like the Chinese government tried to media manage reports that he hadn't.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51403795

Not a good look, given the Chinese population are apparently already distrusting of what the state are saying about this outbreak.
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited February 2020
    It is a flood of CLPs nominations tonight

Ian Murray went over the 33 threshold and is now on the ballot

Rosena Allin Khan is at 26 now
  • HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

35% is what Blair got in 2005 and close to what Cameron got in 2010 and would take the Tories from 43% down to 40%. If the LDs also take 5% from the Tories, the Tories would be down to 35%/36% and Starmer could become PM in a hung parliament through a deal with the LDs and SNP.

Given we will almost certainly only get a basic WTO+ trade deal for goods with the EU excluding services, Starmer would pitch for Tory Remainers on a return to the single market ticket and the LDs would do likewise
    Why would the LDs take 5% from the Tories?
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

A metaphor for Brexit?

A Conservative Party activist who produced a movie promoting Brexit has been jailed after conning the Dragons’ Den entrepreneur James Caan’s business out of a £519,000 investment.

David Shipley, 37, was one of the leading voices behind Brexit: The Movie, which featured Nigel Farage and David Davis, that was released a month before the 2016 referendum.

He admitted fraudulently gaining an investment in his financial recruitment company by altering his tax and bank statements to inflate his earnings.

He approached Mr Caan’s business, Resourcing Capital Ventures, with a Dragons’ Den-style pitch requesting the loan for his firm, Spitfire Capital Advisors.

The activist lied on a P60 form that his salary was £377,000 when in reality he was making under £60,000 and altered bank statements to make it appear that he had just received £540,000 which he said was from commissions.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/brexit-movie-producer-david-shipley-jailed-for-conning-dragons-den-star-james-caans-firm-9v9h8jfl0

toad

• justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

DavidL said:

A year ago circa 40%/41% were telling some pollsters that they would vote Labour under Corbyn - as they had done in 2017. Why would those voters not support Starmer?
  • It is a flood of CLPs nominations tonight

Ian Murray went over the 33 threshold and is now on the ballot

Rosena Allin Khan is at 26 now

Get used to it, there could potentially be some 300+ more nomination meetings next week.
  • Can anyone make sense of this one please?

The Labour West Yorkshire mafia.

Remember Burgon and his family have been involved in the West Yorkshire Labour party for decades, his uncle was also an MP for a West Yorkshire seat.
    justin124 said:

DavidL said:

A year ago circa 40%/41% were telling some pollsters that they would vote Labour under Corbyn - as they had done in 2017. Why would those voters not support Starmer?
    Boris.
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

On a GB basis - which is what pollsters bar Survation give us - Blair polled 36% in 2005.
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited February 2020
    Wokingham CLP for Rosena Allin-Khan

27. 6 more needed
    DavidL said:

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

Boris.
    I doubt that - Johnson is very toxic with many middle-class educated voters who in the past usually voted Tory. Also Labour dropped back from those levels 3 months before he took over - and later went on to recover to 33% from the lows of circa 23% being recorded in June/July.
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The way I look at it is that if Boris does well he wins. If he doesn’t Starmer is not a completely disastrous alternative. But I am watching Ed Balls in Euroland. What a missed opportunity. I could have voted for him, even before the bum lift.
    Ed Balls was the leader Labour should have picked.
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I don't think he has any interest in the gig these days.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,920

They think deputy doesn't matter, and they might as well have a laugh.
    justin124 said:

DavidL said:

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

Boris.
    I doubt that - Johnson is very toxic with many middle-class educated voters who in the past usually voted Tory. Also Labour dropped back from those levels 3 months before he took over - and later went on to recover to 33% from the lows of circa 23% being recorded in June/July.
    But for now, at least, Boris is winning over people who would have voted Labour in a heart beat. He is gaining more than he is losing.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    justin124 said:

DavidL said:

Because they were clearly lying? :wink:

The real answer is that those numbers were hit only when May was at her weakest and the Tories' failure to deliver Brexit allowed a BXP surge. No chance of a repeat under a charismatic and voter-focused Boris.
    justin124 said:

DavidL said:

1) After Stamers attempt to derail Brexit (country to there 2017 manifesto), I'm not sure they are coming back any time soon, especially while he is in charge.

2) And Boris.

3) And for some they had been closer ideologically to the Torys for years, but where voting Lab out of habit. now the habit is bracken it may be hard to get them back, without becoming so 'right wing' that Lab loses more support to LD.

Still we live in interesting times anything could happen.
  • justin124 said:

DavidL said:

Because frustrating Brexit was a factor then and that's gone now, but Starmer is still dressing significantly to the Left economically.

Also Boris is holding together a much tighter coalition of voters than May ever did and in more seats.

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

If the Lib Dems would shut up about Brexit, I could see myself voting for them.
    DavidL said:

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

Boris.
    But for now, at least, Boris is winning over people who would have voted Labour in a heart beat. He is gaining more than he is losing.
    We are likely to be at peak Johnson now - and even today Labour is polling well above the levels of last summer. Admittedly most of that has been clawed back from the LDs.
    I will not be surprised to see Labour poll leads by the end of the year.
    Quite a surge in RLB nominations tonight.
    justin124 said:

Sorry to be a pain, but do you thav the link to the sight keeping track?

Thanks
  • justin124 said:

If so you can forget your previous post
    justin124 said:

DavidL said:

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

justin124 said:

DavidL said:

Boris.
    We are likely to be at peak Johnson now - and even today Labour is polling well above the levels of last summer. Admittedly most of that has been clawed back from the LDs.
    As I said if Boris fails to deliver Starmer is in with a chance. But if he does Labour has little to say. Really enjoying Ed’s program.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited February 2020
    justin124 said:

I will not be surprised to see Labour poll leads by the end of the year.

We'll be into KSICIPM territory NYE! :D
    edited February 2020
    Justin, the man who only ever see positives for Labour. 20% behind in the polls, no problemo, Labour will ahead in 10 months, no sweat.
    edited February 2020

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You mean you think.his ideas on neo-endogenous growth theory would have been a winner?
  • Have I missed something in Iowa. Sanders on 2.14?
  • Justin, the man who only ever see positives for Labour. 20% behind in the polls, no problemo, Labour will ahead in 10 months, no sweat.

And all those conservatives voters are going to switch labour en masse.

Labour cannot win without converting conservative voters in their droves
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    As should not surprise anyone, the bonfire of the tariffs is over, and free-trade post-Brexit Britain is one for the alternative history books. The Plan now: Walk away from EU trade if Boris says it's in the national interest; prioritise a deal with New Zealand. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/06/uk-import-tariffs-trade-brexit
  • GIN1138 said:
    They are all coming out the woodwork now. To add allegations of bullying, racist and sexually inappropriate language.

"Be Nice to People on Your Way Up. You’ll Meet Them On Your Way Down"
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Because quite a few soft LD/Con voters went Con because of fear of Corbyn.
    BigRich said:

justin124 said:

Thanks
    I am relying on Twitter CLP nominations.
  • I see Wera Hobhouse is running for Lib Dem leader...do they want to try and poll negative numbers?

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/02/wera-hobhouse-first-lib-dem-leadership-candidate-she-s-unlikely-win
  • justin124 said:

BigRich said:

justin124 said:

Thanks
    Relying on twitter. Really is that your basis for your predictions

justin124 said:

If so you can forget your previous post
    She is still getting fewer nominations than Starmer - but seems to be picking up 35% or so tonight.
    edited February 2020
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784

They think deputy doesn't matter, and they might as well have a laugh.
    Look at the CLP nominations map for deputy. The geographical element to them is quite strong for every single candidate. And given their ex MP. was McDonnell's PPS, they also have some form for selecting from the left.

It's a somewhat gentrifying constituency that will be trending left over the full political cycle, not really typical Red Wall. (Iirc correctly Lab -> Con was 3.5% this time out).
  • At this rate some of us will soon be able to appear on Mastermind with specialist subject of Iowa Caucus.

justin124 said:

BigRich said:

justin124 said:

Thanks
    Relying on twitter. Really is that your basis for your predictions
    No - I am referring to news of CLP nominations. The data is constantly being updayed.
  • At this rate some of us will soon be able to appear on Mastermind with specialist subject of Iowa Caucus.

It won't be before 2025, as that is probably when they will have actually have confirmed results.

Justin, the man who only ever see positives for Labour. 20% behind in the polls, no problemo, Labour will ahead in 10 months, no sweat.

The Tories polled circa 44.5% on a GB basis. Getting rid of Corbyn and the disappearance of Brexit as a salient issue could well push that below 40%.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    U.S., allies should consider Nokia, Ericsson investments to counter Huawei: Barr

Barr said there had been some proposals that concerns about Huawei “could be met by the United States aligning itself with Nokia and/or Ericsson, through American ownership of a controlling stake, either directly or through a consortium of private American and allied companies.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-china-spying-huawei/u-s-allies-should-consider-nokia-ericsson-investments-to-counter-huawei-barr-idUSKBN20029O

So the US government doesn't only want countries to eschew Huawei, they want the alternatives to be controlled by the US, and if they are controlled by the US every supposed advantage they offer in terms of security is just one National Security Letter away from disappearing.
  • justin124 said:

The Tories polled circa 44.5% on a GB basis. Getting rid of Corbyn and the disappearance of Brexit as a salient issue could well push that below 40%.
    Or upto 50% - who knows

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You mean you think.his ideas on neo-endogenous growth theory would have been a winner?
    I mean that he was smart enough to see the complexities and the challenges but human enough to understand how people feel and what is important to them. Corbyn’s anti western rantings are just embarrassing by comparison. As are RLB’s , of course.
    edited February 2020
    Days since Labour antisemitism scandal....reset the clock...

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1225528949171728393?s=20
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

justin124 said:

Or upto 50% - who knows
    Latest (reputable) polls have the Blues on 49% ;)

:D
    Of 60 CLP nominations so far tonight , Starmer has circa 30 - RLB 20 with Nandy on 10.
  • I know very little aboout US politics but is all this commentary, that after Iowa and the impeachment fiasco, Trump is a shoe in for November really likely
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Nakedly partisan given they have withheld Trump's tax returns.

https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/1225454881072459778?s=19

• RobD said:

justin124 said:

Or upto 50% - who knows

and Boris on 52%
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

Or upto 50% - who knows

Survation has them on 44%.- probably 45% on a GB basis.
  • I know very little aboout US politics but is all this commentary, that after Iowa and the impeachment fiasco, Trump is a shoe in for November really likely

Dems have an absolute mountain to climb, but it is not impossible. Nominating Sanders would seal Trump as POTUS though.
  • Days since Labour antisemitism scandal....reset the clock...

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1225528949171728393?s=20

It wont go away until Keir takes hold of it and is ruthless on all these nutters.
  • justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

Or upto 50% - who knows

Mori today is 47%
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

Or upto 50% - who knows

Must be an outlier.

Dems have an absolute mountain to climb, but it is not impossible. Nominating Sanders would seal Trump as POTUS though.
    It seems chaotic and sad to see the US in such a bad place politically

Indeed. It is very depressing to see the divide. Nancy being denied a basic handshake and then her tearing up the speech.

Who can bring the US together?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695

GIN1138 said:
    They are all coming out the woodwork now. To add allegations of bullying, racist and sexually inappropriate language.

We might see Bercow being investigated by the police for alleged hate crimes yet...

Indeed. It is very depressing to see the divide. Nancy being denied a basic handshake and then her tearing up the speech.

Who can bring the US together?
    Both sides are childish and are wrecking the US reputation across the globe

Trump needs to go but not to be replaced by a Corbyn look-alike
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

Well, let's see how Workington man feels after Brexit. Wokingham man too.

There is no GE for 4 years, so not much reason to go poll chasing just yet.
  • GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

We might see Bercow being investigated by the police for alleged hate crimes yet...
    It does seem to be snowballing and I cannot see Bercow with a peerage to be honest
This discussion has been closed.