Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bernie just squeezes it in New Hampshire but Buttigieg retains

Comments

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The idea Starmer is going to confront and take on the far left is absurd. He signed up wholeheartedly to Corbyn, served happily with RLB and Burgon and now he's trying to win the leadership with this claptrap.

Starmer is not only no Blair, he's not even a Kinnock!

I am amazed that he has not learned any lessons from the last election

Are you? Did you not see the polling yesterday where Labour Members (ie the ones with the votes in this competition) thought that Corbyn was the best leader of recent times? That's the electorate he has to win no matter what he actually thinks. And he's going to. It's not exactly a nail biter.
    I am to be honest.

I thought he would be his own person but he has swallowed the failed 2019 election manifesto hook , line and sinker and looks as if labour will be in the wilderness for decades
    He's got 4 years to find more credible lines. What's the rush? A lot is going to happen in that time for good or ill. Right now he wants to win convincingly and he will.
    Let's just hope he doesn't put these pledges on an Ed Stone!
  • Options
    Endillion said:

BBC chairman warns end of licence fee would mean no CBeebies

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/feb/11/bbc-boss-warns-end-of-licence-fee-would-mean-no-cbeebies

What horseshit...CBeebies is a widely watched channel, unlike BBC3. If the BBC were offering packages like Sky do, the young kids one would be one of the most popular.

I couldn't care less if CBeebies was axed. There's a plethora of kids TV out there. My kids prefer Disney Jr and Nick Jr anyway. Even on Freeview they prefer Tiny Pop.

If CBeebies can't compete with Tiny Pop, Disney Jr, Nick Jr and the plethora of other kids channels out there they really need to ask themselves why the other channels can cope without a licence fee and what on Earth is wrong with CBeebies.
    You're seriously unclear on why the BBC might struggle to compete with Disney?

Even without advertising, they could comfortably afford to subsidise the kids channel entirely, in the hope of picking up early brand loyalty and as a goodwill gesture to customers.
    As far as I know Disney isn't on Freeview, but Tiny Pop and others are.

Yes I'm seriously unclear as to why the BBC might struggle to compete with Tiny Pop etc.

Furthermore if it can't I'm seriously unclear as to why we should care.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Remember Keir is talking to the Labour party right now, not the electorate.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/feb/11/bbc-boss-warns-end-of-licence-fee-would-mean-no-cbeebies

What horseshit...CBeebies is a widely watched channel, unlike BBC3. If the BBC were offering packages like Sky do, the young kids one would be one of the most popular.

I couldn't care less if CBeebies was axed. There's a plethora of kids TV out there. My kids prefer Disney Jr and Nick Jr anyway. Even on Freeview they prefer Tiny Pop.

If CBeebies can't compete with Tiny Pop, Disney Jr, Nick Jr and the plethora of other kids channels out there they really need to ask themselves why the other channels can cope without a licence fee and what on Earth is wrong with CBeebies.
    Kids TV without advertising is much more parent friendly. Certainly something that I wanted when Fox jr was little.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

Kids TV without advertising is much more parent friendly. Certainly something that I wanted when Fox jr was little.
    So you'd be prepared to pay a voluntary subscription for it I guess then?

There's no advertising on Netflix, which has a dedicated Children's section and thousands of programs.
  • Options

I assume you agree it is not a programme to win an election
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited February 2020
    The BBC needs to compete in the free market on equal terms with everyone else.

No more public tax to pay for it.
  • Options
    Mr. Gate, this Yorkshireman thinks devolution on a regional basis is a stupid, feeble idea.

Would Yorkshire have powers equal to Holyrood? Will we be setting our health and education policies? Will we have a Barnett[sp] Formula? Will we be able to set tax rates?

If the answer is yes, then devolution equates to carving England up into pieces and denying it the political identity that Scotland enjoys currently.

If the answer is no, then devolution equates to a second class, inferior Balkanisation of England for the sake of some glorified councils.

I'm not voting for any party that advocates cutting England into bits. If Scotland's good enough for a Parliament then so are we.
  • Options

Starmer has enough behind him now that he can tell a few home truths to the labour party.

He isn't.
  • Options

Starmer has enough behind him now that he can tell a few home truths to the labour party.

He isn't.
    Precisely. How he acts now sets his mandate and tone for his leadership. The idea he's going to pivot away completely from his campaign is absurd - and if he does why on earth should we trust him in a general election if he's that accomplished a liar?
  • Options

Foxy said:

There's no advertising on Netflix, which has a dedicated Children's section and thousands of programs.
    I would happily subscribe to the BBC, nearly all of the programmes that I enjoy are on it.

I find little on Netflix that I like. Too much low grade American filler, amongst a few decent films.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:
    Clinging to the past is not the way to secure future success. Pledge one won't raise the money and secure a strong economy to deliver on the other pledges.

It shows he isn't prepared to actually be radical. Just more lefty wishful thinking with a more technocratic face.

Yawn
    It's a long way from original but without Corbyn's baggage it is likely to poll better than he did.
    You have to get rid of the hard left if you want Labour to challenge...
  • Options

He isn't.
    And each one of these signed pledges will be thrown back at him, ad infinitum
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Selebian said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The idea Starmer is going to confront and take on the far left is absurd. He signed up wholeheartedly to Corbyn, served happily with RLB and Burgon and now he's trying to win the leadership with this claptrap.

Starmer is not only no Blair, he's not even a Kinnock!

I am amazed that he has not learned any lessons from the last election

Are you? Did you not see the polling yesterday where Labour Members (ie the ones with the votes in this competition) thought that Corbyn was the best leader of recent times? That's the electorate he has to win no matter what he actually thinks. And he's going to. It's not exactly a nail biter.
    I am to be honest.

I thought he would be his own person but he has swallowed the failed 2019 election manifesto hook , line and sinker and looks as if labour will be in the wilderness for decades
    He's got 4 years to find more credible lines. What's the rush? A lot is going to happen in that time for good or ill. Right now he wants to win convincingly and he will.
    Let's just hope he doesn't put these pledges on an Ed Stone!
    He might need a bigger quarry.
  • Options

Good point. Although Boris won by pandering to the racists and xenophobes it doesn't follow that Keir can only win by doing likewise. Britain is not primarily a racist and xenophobic country. Yes, for lazy politicians such as Boris that's an easy and helpful block to win over, but a politician of principle and skill should be able to shun it and still be successful.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I would happily subscribe to the BBC, nearly all of the programmes that I enjoy are on it.

I find little on Netflix that I like. Too much low grade American filler, amongst a few decent films.
    Good for you. I would happily subscribe to Netflix but not the BBC. Free market, free choice - or that's the way it should be.

I don't see why my children should watch adverts then I should be taxed to fund your children's choices? There's no justification for a compulsory tax in 2020 for a small handful of largely crap TV channels many of which don't even run 24/7.

Trying to settle an upset teething or jetlagged infant who's woken in the night, good look finding something for them on CBeebies. Commercial kids TV manages to be available 24/7 though without any taxes.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    edited February 2020
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Whereas I'm the opposite. I watch very very little on the BBC, but get plenty out of both Netflix and Amazon. Horses for Courses.

I would happily pay a reduced licence fee for Radio, News and Sport coverage probably however.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Vs RCP poll averages

Iowa
    Buttigieg +4.5
    Klob +3.7
    Sanders +1.7
    Steyer -1.3
    Warren -3.0
    Biden -4.4

New Hampshire
    Klobuchar +8.0
    Buttigieg +3.1
    Steyer +1.9
    Warren -1.7
    Biden -2.6
    Sanders -2.7

Overall

Klob +5.85
    Boot edge edge +3.8
    Steyer +0.3
    Sanders -1.0
    Warren -2.35
    Biden -3.5

Projecting that lot nationally gives

Sanders 22.0
    Biden 16.9
    Buttigieg 14.2
    Bloomberg 13.6
    Warren 10.65
    Klobuchar 10.25
    Steyer 2.3

It is a shifting game though. I cannot see Biden on 16.9 by Super Tuesday, and quite possible that neither him nor Warren will still be in the running by then. Their slumps seem terminal. Where their supporters shift to will be key, but I think Bernie has peaked too.
    I think Buttigieg will hit a wall in SC. It is awful to say but the fact he's gay is going to have a major impact given the demographics (especially as the African American community there is major church going) even if that is not the stated reason. The question for him is whether that result is seen as an one-off or the start of a major stumble.

It is a bit harder to tell whether Klobuchar will do well in SC. She hasn't got Peter's "baggage" but I don't think Minnesota Nice is that big a selling point down in SC.

I actually do think Biden may have a very good night because the African-American community tends to be quite loyal when it comes to voting. He might be worth a trading bet into SC.

Finally, I don't think Sanders has peaked. If Warren does exit, I can see a lot of her base heading to him. Moreover, the hard left can see control of the Democrats is within their grasp. They will not let that go.
  • Options

No it does not..
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    We've had 40ish NH polls since the last one in Nevada.
  • Options
    I don't understand why the BBC's defenders are so horrified by the notion the BBC could become a voluntary rather than compulsory subscription. If the BBC is any good then surely people will voluntarily subscribe to it and then that's the end of the matter?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020

No it does not..
    Why not?

Why is the BBC so bad in your eyes that people won't voluntarily subscribe to it?
    Or if it is good enough that people will voluntarily do so then what's the problem?
  • Options
    In reality, if the BBC were to offer say kids subscription channels e.g. CBeebies, what would be the best approach would be what already happens on Sky / Virgin at the moment, where companies allow their channels to be offered up in package deals i.e. the customer pays for Sky Kids and you get all the Disney, Nick Jr, CBeebies.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Crazy talk. Some of the best modern day drama is on Netflix.
  • Options
    Is Bernie Sanders actually THAT hard left ? His platform looks to be to the right of the Lib Dems here, on taxation at least.
  • Options
    Yesterday a top Hong Kong medical official predicted the coronavirus could infect more than 60 per cent of the global population if containment methods fail.

Professor Gabriel Leung, chair of public health medicine in the city, said on Tuesday even if the coronavirus kills just 1 per cent of sufferers, it could still wipe out as many as 45million people.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7994665/Killer-coronavirus-poses-greater-global-threat-terrorism-World-Health-Organisation-warns.html
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

As a member, how would you feel if he pivoted to a different approach on being elected? That you’d been taken for a fool? That you always knew he was a liar but, hey he’s our liar?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Which costs less than the BBC does.

The BBCs defenders are not worried because the BBC is great, they're worried because they know deep down its just not that special. If it was special, people would voluntarily pay for it - but they know if it was optional people would stop doing so. And why shouldn't they? Why should I pay the BBC a tax just so my daughter can watch Disney Jr? Why should I pay the BBC a tax if I want to watch Sky News?
  • Options

Yesterday a top Hong Kong medical official predicted the coronavirus could infect more than 60 per cent of the global population if containment methods fail.

Professor Gabriel Leung, chair of public health medicine in the city, said on Tuesday even if the coronavirus kills just 1 per cent of sufferers, it could still wipe out as many as 45million people.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7994665/Killer-coronavirus-poses-greater-global-threat-terrorism-World-Health-Organisation-warns.html

Last I saw the Chinese authorities were err.... welding people into their houses ! Contains I suppose.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Is Bernie Sanders actually THAT hard left ? His platform looks to be to the right of the Lib Dems here, on taxation at least.

He wants to spend $100 trillion over 10 years. It doubles the size of the budget deficit. For example, I don't remember for instance Lib Dems promising to double the starting salary of teachers or wanting to double minimum wage, increase union powers, etc etc etc.

If he enacts all his plans, it is radical shift in the US.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Whereas I'm the opposite. I watch very very little on the BBC, but get plenty out of both Netflix and Amazon. Horses for Courses.

I would happily pay a reduced licence fee for Radio, News and Sport coverage probably however.
    And you could extend the principle....

For instance I do not have diabetes so I should get a discount on my taxes to remove support for diabetes. In fact, I make virtually no use of the NHS so other people who do use it should pay for it. Perhaps a form of health insurance would work? I am sure The Donald can give us a few pointers.

I rarely call the cops for anything, so another discount there... and I have never called the Fire Brigade, so another tax break there.....

So many options. I could spend my entire life just monitoring what I am due to pay taxes on. It would be a libertarian paradise. And my idea of hell.....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Last I saw the Chinese authorities were err.... welding people into their houses ! Contains I suppose.
    If anyone can do containment its the Chinese.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    After the BBC, the NHS
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Pulpstar said:

Is that a typo for contaminent ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280

Blimey, that's about 6 months population growth.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

For instance I do not have diabetes so I should get a discount on my taxes to remove support for diabetes. In fact, I make virtually no use of the NHS so other people who do use it should pay for it. Perhaps a form of health insurance would work? I am sure The Donald can give us a few pointers.

I rarely call the cops for anything, so another discount there... and I have never called the Fire Brigade, so another tax break there.....

So many options. I could spend my entire life just monitoring what I am due to pay taxes on. It would be a libertarian paradise. And my idea of hell.....
    Healthcare, the police, the fire brigade are a necessity.

The BBC is not. Its a luxury that you can choose if you want it or not. If you want a bottle of wine you don't get a wine tax that then the government gives you a preselected wine of its choice whether you want it or not.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Not much that I like. I only subscribe for Fox Jr.

I watch more on the BFI player, which is fantastic value. I listen to BBC radio a lot too.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Is that a typo for contaminent ?
    LOL love the original typo in your joke!
  • Options
    edited February 2020

No it does not..
    Why not?

Why is the BBC so bad in your eyes that people won't voluntarily subscribe to it?
    Or if it is good enough that people will voluntarily do so then what's the problem?
    Don't put words into my mouth thank you v much. No reason why the licence cannot continue..it just needs the political will.... no.license feeand the bbc becomes as crap as all the rest of the channels...
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Pulpstar said:

He wants to spend $100 trillion over 10 years. It doubles the size of the budget deficit. I don't remember for instance Lib Dems promising to double the starting salary of teachers.
    How does tax look for a $50,000 earner in the US now and under Bernie tho ? (Compared to UK)
  • Options
    Fenman said:

After the BBC, the NHS

Yes, Brexit was only the beginning of the attacks on British institutions. For "patriots" they certainly loathe a lot about modern Britain.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

Starmer's pledge on full voting rights for EU nationals *and* free movement is utterly nuts:
    https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1227500582732042241

I'd sell that as winning back the right of Brits to live and work in Europe. I can see that being quite appealing after a few years where it's likely to have been more difficult.
    Very few people wanted to when it was as easy as living and working in the same country, and several million voted to end it.

To be fair, this is what I wanted to happen if we left the EU; one party saying they would stop free movement and the other saying they’d keep it. Fair enough, we’ll see how important it is to people. I’d guess it will dominate the next election if Starmer wins and has this policy
  • Options

No it does not..
    Why not?

Dont put words into my mouth thank you v much. No reason why the licence cannot continue.. no.license bbc becomes as crap as all the test of the channels...
    Channels, I remember them. Didn't they use to tell you when you could watch what you wanted to watch or something? Hard to imagine really.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

He wants to spend $100 trillion over 10 years. It doubles the size of the budget deficit. I don't remember for instance Lib Dems promising to double the starting salary of teachers.
    How does tax look for a $50,000 earner in the US now and under Bernie tho ?
    He can't actually fund for all his commitments. The projection is for US debt to GDP will double to over 150%.

Outside of the healthcare for all (which obviously is agreed by all parties in the UK), there is all sorts of stuff like much stronger unions / jobs links to those etc. It certainly isn't Orange book lib demery.

Before I looked more closely, I just heard the headline stuff and thought it wasn't that radical by our standards, but actually it is.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,609
    Bloomberg is closing the gap on Sanders in the 2020 presidential election winner market:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.128151441

Sanders 6.6 / 7
    Bloomberg 7.8 / 8.2
  • Options
    edited February 2020

No it does not..
    Why not?

Don't put words into my mouth thank you v much. No reason why the licence cannot continue..it just needs the political will.... no.license feeand the bbc becomes as crap as all the rest of the channels...
    There is a very good reason why it can't continue, it is actually totally unenforceable. That is actually my biggest issue with the current system.

The idea that people only sit and watch it through the big moving picture box in their living room is totally out dated and there is no way without a really big brother approach they can ever work out if you have paid or not.
  • Options

No they are not. I do not need them, why should I pay for them?

I might need them later, but I can be taxed at the point of use.
  • Options

No it does not..
    Why not?

That's a good point. The reason TV in this country is quite high quality is because the BBC is and the others have to compete.
  • Options

If you want to argue that then be my guest.

The BBC OTOH is not something that anyone might "need" later. Nobody ever "needs" it. Some people want it, they can pay for it, nobody "needs" it.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I've been catching up with the Loudest Voice. Excellent stuff. Russell Crowe is brilliantly repulsive as Ailes. I think its actually on Sky Atlantic but it was a Netflix production.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

The irony is that if 25 years ago their management had not benefitted from the comfort blanket of the licence fee, they would have had to go out and compete in the big wide world. And then, with their brand name recognition and standards, they would have pissed on CNN and strangled SKY at birth.

They would now be the pre-eminent global power in their field.

Quite tragic, really.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

No it does not..
    Why not?

There is a very good reason why it can't continue, it is actually totally unenforceable.
    Yes, I think that is increasingly the issue. Narrowcasting, not broadcasting is the future, with us all in our little bubbles.

Ironically, a lot of the cultural destruction of community links will be by the people who voted nostalgically.
  • Options
    As Sherwood-O’Regan said, “As we grow and climate change becomes a harsher reality, privileged activists need to learn to de-centre themselves and meaningfully support Indigenous, disabled, queer, global south, POC, and other marginalized people who are on the frontlines of climate change.”
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    edited February 2020
    Cookie said:

RobD said:

Starmer's pledge on full voting rights for EU nationals *and* free movement is utterly nuts:
    https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1227500582732042241

I'd sell that as winning back the right of Brits to live and work in Europe. I can see that being quite appealing after a few years where it's likely to have been more difficult.
    Will any other country offer Brits the same voting rights? I doubt it.
    I'm not convinces the right to live and work in Europe is as popular as its advocates think it is. Language is still an almost insurmountable barrier for most. Favoyred emigration destinations have always been English speaking countries, despite the lack of automatic right to liv and and work there.
    Well it should never easy enough to find out. What is the ratio of EU immigrants to the UK over UK immigrants in the EU?

In 2019 there were785k Brits in the EU, 70% of whom were in Spain, the vast majority presumably not competing for Spanish jobs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46632854

Seems there were 3.6m eu immigrants in the uk

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/eu-migration-to-and-from-the-uk/

It’s just not a popular policy.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

No it does not..
    Why not?

That's a good point. The reason TV in this country is quite high quality is because the BBC is and the others have to compete.
    Is that really true these days?

For entertainment, I would say the driver for a number of years has been HBO and more recently Netflix. They totally changed the game in what is expected in terms of production quality of a tv show.

For sports, it is Sky coverage.

For news, I would say yes.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Andy_JS said:
    It is in Vice. Not sure anything there is actually worthy of note
  • Options

The BBC OTOH is not something that anyone might "need" later. Nobody ever "needs" it. Some people want it, they can pay for it, nobody "needs" it.
    What do I "need" the Fire Brigade for? My house is not on fire. And if install the correct fire suppression systems then I will never have a fire in the house.

I thought you right-wing types were all for personal responsibility and not putting burdens on the state... or is it all just about contributing as little as possible except where it benefits you or matches your prejudices?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited February 2020

No it does not..
    Why not?

Like most younger people I barely watch TV anymore, but when I do it's rarely something on the BBC. I don't recognise this 'high quality' claim, most of it is trash.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Stamer -

"support" - say nice words but not do anything
    "defend" - I like the principle of the idea.
  • Options

No it does not..
    Why not?

Looking online it seems that right now on the BBC's flagship channel BBC1 Homes Under the Hammer has just finished. Apparently now is a show called Wanted Down Under, then Defenders UK and Bargain Hunt.

Can you tell me what is such "high quality" about those that we need a compulsory tax to pay for them.

Real high quality shows that are made high quality compete not with the BBC but with a global audience as they're exported. Shows like Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones and The Crown have a worldwide audience not a British one.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Michael Bloomberg is suddenly attracting a lot of scrutiny.

"Bloomberg said in 2015 'all the crime' is in minority areas"
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51466036
  • Options

No it does not..
    Why not?

Looking online it seems that right now on the BBC's flagship channel BBC1 Homes Under the Hammer has just finished. Apparently now is a show called Wanted Down Under, then Defenders UK and Bargain Hunt.

Can you tell me what is such "high quality" about those that we need a compulsory tax to pay for them.

Real high quality shows that are made high quality compete not with the BBC but with a global audience as they're exported. Shows like Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones and The Crown have a worldwide audience not a British one.
    Try looking at BBC4 programmes, BBC2 programmes rather than daytime BBC1.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    It is in Vice. Not sure anything there is actually worthy of note
    Their docupiece "Inside the Islamic state" was great but the rest of it is a mad lefty rabbit hole.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

What do I "need" the Fire Brigade for? My house is not on fire. And if install the correct fire suppression systems then I will never have a fire in the house.

I thought you right-wing types were all for personal responsibility and not putting burdens on the state... or is it all just about contributing as little as possible except where it benefits you or matches your prejudices?
    And the fire brigade has been scaled back as house fires etc. have decreased.
  • Options

In case you didn't know, fires spread. If your neighbours start a fire that could spread to your property etc and vice-versa which is why its considered a necessity. People can die because of fires spreading.

The BBC is never a necessity. Nobody will die because they missed Homes Under the Hammer.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

As Sherwood-O’Regan said, “As we grow and climate change becomes a harsher reality, privileged activists need to learn to de-centre themselves and meaningfully support Indigenous, disabled, queer, global south, POC, and other marginalized people who are on the frontlines of climate change.”

I am struggling to see how "queer" is a defining characteristic for the frontline of climate change....
  • Options

No it does not..
    Why not?

So quality starts from 7.00pm then?
  • Options

No it does not..
    Why not?

Right now BBC4 is showing . . . "Channel Off Air".

We need to pay a compulsory tax to pay for "Channel Off Air" do we? If you think BBC4 is great you can pay for it, what's the harm in that?
  • Options

In case you didn't know, fires spread. If your neighbours start a fire that could spread to your property etc and vice-versa which is why its considered a necessity. People can die because of fires spreading.

The BBC is never a necessity. Nobody will die because they missed Homes Under the Hammer.
    Just as well. I'd be dead for one.
  • Options

The point (that you are so careful not to engage with) is that if we start allowing tax payers to pick and choose how their taxes are spent, then the whole system falls apart.

But you knew that, didn't you?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

Which illegal war did Starmer have in mind, and which legislation wasn't used to prosecute the decision makers?

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1227500527686021120

Looks like a piece of red meat thrown out to appease the Labour membership.

Red meat?

It’s an all you eat carnivore feast.

Either Starmer’s sincere (in which case he’s just a more competent Corbyn without the foreign policy and anti-semitism baggage) or he’s throwing up chaff to deflect the hard Left to get the leadership, and will tack to the centre later.

I have no idea which yet. All I do know is that that isn’t an election winning platform.

It may get some Lab defectors to return.
    Starmer appears to believe that there is a huge demand for more regional devolution in English regions. Wasn't aware that it was such a big doorstep issue in Dec 2019.
    Sounds to me like he’s looking for more opportunities to cockblock Tory rule in England in the longer term.

I bet those dice are loaded.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Very funny.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I am struggling to see how "queer" is a defining characteristic for the frontline of climate change....
    Well, if you recognise that by far the biggest issue for AGW is our population growth (and not single use plastics)....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

We’re not far off the point where everyone becomes sick and tired of this pile of wank.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    There is another problem that the BBC have (and it isn't totally unique to them). Because we can consume content on the move, people hoover it up really quickly.

The model of the BBC has always been to make dramas that are say 6-8 episodes, often they take a long time to make them and don't really adhere to the season idea. Thus they get a hit like the Night Porter or the Body Guard and it gets consumed in a week by most people and then there is no replayability nor any new content of this IP for sometimes 18 months / 2 years.

Their claim used to be this is because we make a lot higher quality, but it isn't true now e.g. look at the VFX for Doctor Who vs the new Picard, it is in a different universe. And you have to remember the BBC is trying to compete in the US with this quality of output.

The difference with say HBO / Netflix if they commission stuff, if it is a hit, they pump that IP to be out such that there is a minimum of one new season per year usually with a lot more episodes.

Netflix are struggling on the replayability issue, as they have found the likes of the US Office / Friends (which they only rent the IP) are the sort of shows that are watched time and time again and there is a vast library of them.

I believe the general rule in the US is if you can get a show to 100 episodes you will be able to resell that IP for many many years to come. How many of the big BBC shows ever get near that sort of episode count?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

The point (that you are so careful not to engage with) is that if we start allowing tax payers to pick and choose how their taxes are spent, then the whole system falls apart.

Allowing tax payers to pick and choose how their taxes are spent is a pretty good definition of democracy, actually.
  • Options

It should fall apart if things are luxuries not necessities. The government should not be in the business of providing luxuries and taxing you to pay for other people's tastes.

The fire brigade, NHS, Police etc are matters of life and death. Without them people can die. Without Homes Under the Hammer nobody dies. Only a fool would compare the two . . . oh I see, you knew that, didn't you?
  • Options

You may need the fire service to extricate you from a car crash or other accident
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Yes, I was wondering that.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited February 2020

You may need the fire service to extricate you from a car crash or other accident
    That’s a car crash in the sense that thinking equating the BBC and a fire service amounts to a compelling and convincing argument.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Allowing tax payers to pick and choose how their taxes are spent is a pretty good definition of democracy, actually.
    Really? If everyone decided to pay no tax would be the point in having a government?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983

It should fall apart if things are luxuries not necessities. The government should not be in the business of providing luxuries and taxing you to pay for other people's tastes.

The fire brigade, NHS, Police etc are matters of life and death. Without them people can die. Without Homes Under the Hammer nobody dies. Only a fool would compare the two . . . oh I see, you knew that, didn't you?
    In the early days of Fire Brigades they were employed by Insurance Companies, and if the 'wrong' brigade went to a fire, they might well leave it to burn. Examples of that happening are in various historical documents.
  • Options

There is another problem that the BBC have (and it isn't totally unique to them). Because we can consume content on the move, people hoover it up really quickly.

The model of the BBC has always been to make dramas that are say 6-8 episodes, often they take a long time to make them and don't really adhere to the season idea.

Thus they get a hit like the Night Porter or the Body Guard and it gets consumed in a week by most people and then there is no replayability nor any new content of this IP for sometimes 18 months / 2 years.

Their claim used to be this is because we make a lot higher quality, but it isn't true now e.g. look at the VFX for Doctor Who vs the new Picard, it is in a different universe.

The difference with say HBO / Netflix if they commission stuff, if it is a hit, they pump that IP to be out such that there is a minimum of one new season per year usually with a lot more episodes.

Netflix are struggling on the replayability issue, as they have found the likes of the US Office / Friends (which they only rent the IP) are the sort of shows that are watched time and time again and there is a vast library of them.

I believe the general rule in the US is if you can get a show to 100 episodes you will be able to resell that IP for many many years to come.

My wife and I love the Big Bang Theory. If there's nothing on or we just want some background noise we often put that on, on Netflix. 14 seasons, 279 episodes. The BBC just can't compete with that.

My issue with the BBC isn't that its great but left or anything like that. The fact is its just not that great. And people need to realise that sooner than later - my generation just does not watch that much BBC - and this isn't a thing that will change with age like left v right, we've grown up with choice and have embraced it.

Unless older people making decisions realise that and adopt changes sooner than later then it is only a matter of time before people that have no love at all for the BBC will make decisions over its future. I couldn't care less if the BBC lives or dies, if you do you should want it on a sustainable model. ITV, Sky, Netflix and more sustain themselves, why can't the BBC?
  • Options

My car insurance can deal with it. Specialist private firms can be set up....

The point I am making is that we CAN abolish all these services so that we can pick and choose our taxes, but it is a thin-end-of-the-wedge strategy. Sooner or later we wind up being the US with different tax rates in every town, county and state, patchy coverage everywhere, etc. Those who advocate such schemes are either disingenuous or have not thought through the obvious conclusion. Once you start salami slicing, where do you stop?

• Options

The point I am making is that we CAN abolish all these services so that we can pick and choose our taxes, but it is a thin-end-of-the-wedge strategy. Sooner or later we wind up being the US with different tax rates in every town, county and state, patchy coverage everywhere, etc. Those who advocate such schemes are either disingenuous or have not thought through the obvious conclusion. Once you start salami slicing, where do you stop?

Why stop?

You stop if there's a reason why society needs that service. Society needs the fire brigade, so you stop there.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Really? If everyone decided to pay no tax would be the point in having a government?
    How their taxes are spent is not the same as whether they are paid in the first place.
  • Options

Under that thought, we would still have public ownership of BT/BA/British Steel, British Leyland and the like, beacase, privatisation of those was 'salami slicing' and well, where does it stop?

Each thing should be argued on its own merits, not on the merits of other apples and oranges.
  • Options

The BBC should not be a poll tax to be honest
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

We’re not far off the point where everyone becomes sick and tired of this pile of wank.
    When it comes to votes in real elections, it's way down the priority list for most people. People will do stuff about it till it comes to seriously affecting their automony etc (Banning cars).

What's needed are more centrist/non left voices on climate change. He's not everyone's cup of tea or always right but Elon Musk is an interesting and different advocate for climate change compared to the normal lefty luvvies.
  • Options

Why stop?

You stop if there's a reason why society needs that service. Society needs the fire brigade, so you stop there.
    Fair enough. I hate sports. Let us cut all sports coverage from the BBC. Those who like them can pay for them on Sky.

To paraphrase a poster of this parish, "No one ever died from missing a football match on the telly...."
  • Options
    Interesting fact: since the year 2000 the UK population has grown by 15% compared to 11% in China over the same time.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Didnt think Pete would run Sanders so close, I guess that makes up for Klobuchar having a good night.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

My wife and I love the Big Bang Theory. If there's nothing on or we just want some background noise we often put that on, on Netflix. 14 seasons, 279 episodes. The BBC just can't compete with that.

My issue with the BBC isn't that its great but left or anything like that. The fact is its just not that great. And people need to realise that sooner than later - my generation just does not watch that much BBC - and this isn't a thing that will change with age like left v right, we've grown up with choice and have embraced it.

Unless older people making decisions realise that and adopt changes sooner than later then it is only a matter of time before people that have no love at all for the BBC will make decisions over its future. I couldn't care less if the BBC lives or dies, if you do you should want it on a sustainable model. ITV, Sky, Netflix and more sustain themselves, why can't the BBC?

Away from drama, another problem is how accessible high quality camera gear and the editing tools are now. You only have to see just how much the production quality on some YouTube channels have improved in a few years. Increasingly they have teams of trained camera operators, editors, etc.

e.g. Linus Tech Tips is just as high quality a production as BBC Click tech show and the difference is LTT put out a new video daily. In fact they release in 4k, unlike the BBC.

A bit like 30-40 years ago you couldn't product high quality music without access to a handful of professional studio, now lots of people can do it from their bedroom.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Andy_JS said:

Michael Bloomberg is suddenly attracting a lot of scrutiny.

"Bloomberg said in 2015 'all the crime' is in minority areas"
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51466036

It's hard to see this guy getting the base out. Then again it's hard to see Bernie attracting pussy moderates. And Warren looks beaten. But Trump MUST be defeated. Four more years of him is not an option. So where does this leave us? Pete or Amy to come through and take it? Both did very well in NH.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    edited February 2020

No it does not..
    Why not?

I think Wanted Down Under might be about to go into decline :-) .

The current one is "rent in the sun for the winter", which is a new version of the "rent out your pad in London to live in a big house in the country amongst the poor people".
  • Options

Why stop?

Fair enough. I hate sports. Let us cut all sports coverage from the BBC. Those who like them can pay for them on Sky.

To paraphrase a poster of this parish, "No one ever died from missing a football match on the telly...."
    That's fine. There's ITV which can do it as well, or channel 4, or BT, or Sky.

Was that an argument?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Surely the same point that many right wingers make here, that the climate change activists are dominated by posho white students?
  • Options

For instance I do not have diabetes so I should get a discount on my taxes to remove support for diabetes. In fact, I make virtually no use of the NHS so other people who do use it should pay for it.

Why stop?

The BBC are rubbish at sport and most sport coverage is on Sky or BT that we actually pay for it we want to follow it
This discussion has been closed.