Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bernie just squeezes it in New Hampshire but Buttigieg retains

Comments

• Options

OllyT said:

DavidL said:

The idea Starmer is going to confront and take on the far left is absurd. He signed up wholeheartedly to Corbyn, served happily with RLB and Burgon and now he's trying to win the leadership with this claptrap.

Starmer is not only no Blair, he's not even a Kinnock!

I am amazed that he has not learned any lessons from the last election

Are you? Did you not see the polling yesterday where Labour Members (ie the ones with the votes in this competition) thought that Corbyn was the best leader of recent times? That's the electorate he has to win no matter what he actually thinks. And he's going to. It's not exactly a nail biter.
    I am to be honest.

I thought he would be his own person but he has swallowed the failed 2019 election manifesto hook , line and sinker and looks as if labour will be in the wilderness for decades
    Except that polling evidence suggests it was largely Corbyn not the policies that sunk Labour in December. They came within 2 points of the Tories two years earlier even with Corbyn at the helm.

You had better cross your fingers that Johnson actually delivers on his breezy optimistic vision of Brexit Britain or who knows what the voters will do next time.
    Have you read Lord Ashcroft's polling report on labour's GE released this week
    Yes. Which particular aspect do you feel Keir is not addressing?
    Starmer is ignoring the message and pandering to the members to get elected
    How else is he supposed to get elected?
    Showing leadership rather than a bit of left wing leg...?

If he isn't capable of speaking difficult truths to the membership, he isn't a leader.
    He also isn’t a leader if he doesn’t get elected. This is politics. Boris Johnson spouted almost constant drivel in order to get elected. He told everyone what they wanted to hear. Keir Starmer is doing the same.
    Johnson didn't spout drivel. He said what he was going to do, sought to do it and is now doing it.
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

kicorse said:

Since the license fee has become a hot topic on this thread....

A decade or so ago, long before the law change on iPlayer, I didn't have a TV license. At the time, I listened to Radio 4 all of the time, as well as other BBC stations. I used the BBC website a lot. The value of the BBC was far greater than the cost of the license fee. So in the end I decided to get a TV license, even though I wasn't legally obliged to.

The thing that stopped me doing so much earlier was the moronic approach to enforcing the license fee. Essentially a person would turn up at my door with a badge that doesn't look different from something a criminal could cheaply reproduce, and demanded to search my house. If I asked them to give a verifiable telephone number I could call to verify that they were legitimate, they were unable to. They then would start making veiled threats. And of course, as a private company, there was no accountability.

But worse than that: throughout this period, I had the option not to fund the BBC, but I was compelled to fund the ITV, Channel 4, and so on, despite making no use of them whatsoever. I still don't use them, aside from the Six Nations, and I still fund them. The ubiquity of advertising means that there is no means of opting out of funding them that is more plausible than becoming a subsistence farmer.

Replacing the license fee with advertising as a funding model would force the BBC to focus more ruthlessly on maximising its viewers:costs ratio (clearly a bad thing, in my view). What it would absolutely would not do is increase consumer choice. It would decrease it, by replacing something that you can realistically opt out of with something that you can't.

You know that you're perfectly entitled just to shut the door on them?
    When you go door-knocking, from time to time you see people putting up notices that state they have withdrawn the implied authority for people to have access to their property. I believe this is to do with TV licence enforcors/heavies.

When I see the no junk mail signs the leaflet gets pushed through the door anyway.

Someone once chased me down the road to complain and after I'd given him the whole people fought and died for this spiel he was quite contrite.

Anyway must dash. Bargain Hunt calls.
    There is no implied right of access inside whatever.

Putting a political leaflet through a door, after reading a sign asking you not to, is a bit of an own goal anyway.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,949
    MaxPB said:

This is exactly the moment that Starmer should be telling the Labour membership that winning from the extreme left isn't going to be possible and campaigning to win the leadership from the centre. Instead he's completely capitulated to the left and now he's going to have to flip flop or fail at the GE.

He's a complete idiot.

He still needs to get elected - I also think he is more left wing than we are giving him credit for...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,487
    HYUFD said:

I see Joe Biden's first South Carolina rally after his New Hampshire loss was filled with supporters carrying posters saying 'South Carolina is Biden country' many of them African Americans.

George W Bush did the same in 2000 with 'South Carolina is Bush country' posters after he lost New Hampshire to McCain

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51470088

Bush got 30% of the vote.
    Biden got humiliated. And lost his one argument, electability.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    At least Ed waited until the eve of the General Election to hang a ridiculous albatross of stone pledges round his neck. Starmer's getting it out of the way first thing!

The vote-rigging expansion of the franchise is now an explicit pledge as well. We see you, Labour.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078

OllyT said:

DavidL said:

The idea Starmer is going to confront and take on the far left is absurd. He signed up wholeheartedly to Corbyn, served happily with RLB and Burgon and now he's trying to win the leadership with this claptrap.

Are you? Did you not see the polling yesterday where Labour Members (ie the ones with the votes in this competition) thought that Corbyn was the best leader of recent times? That's the electorate he has to win no matter what he actually thinks. And he's going to. It's not exactly a nail biter.
    I am to be honest.

I thought he would be his own person but he has swallowed the failed 2019 election manifesto hook , line and sinker and looks as if labour will be in the wilderness for decades
    Except that polling evidence suggests it was largely Corbyn not the policies that sunk Labour in December. They came within 2 points of the Tories two years earlier even with Corbyn at the helm.

You had better cross your fingers that Johnson actually delivers on his breezy optimistic vision of Brexit Britain or who knows what the voters will do next time.

If he isn't capable of speaking difficult truths to the membership, he isn't a leader.
    He also isn’t a leader if he doesn’t get elected. This is politics. Boris Johnson spouted almost constant drivel in order to get elected. He told everyone what they wanted to hear. Keir Starmer is doing the same.
    Johnson didn't spout drivel. He said what he was going to do, sought to do it and is now doing it.
    Yeah yeah.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

This is exactly the moment that Starmer should be telling the Labour membership that winning from the extreme left isn't going to be possible and campaigning to win the leadership from the centre. Instead he's completely capitulated to the left and now he's going to have to flip flop or fail at the GE.

He's a complete idiot.

Yep - Corbyn with a jaw.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

The audience figures will be tiny. Their YouTube also gets bugger all views.

Again it strikes me like the BBC feel the need to produce a tech show, public service remit and all that, but what you get is a very stale product in a market that is now dominated by YouTube channels that are massive and increasingly high quality.

Another example, Marques Brownlee (MKBHD) has three 4k videos out in the last 24 hours about the new Samsung phones, about 25 minutes of footage between them, and over 6 million viewers.

If you put a gun to their head and asked people under 30 to choose between the BBC and YouTube I expect 75% or more would pick the latter.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

He's a complete idiot.

What particular aspect of what he has been saying do you feel is ‘extreme left’?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    kicorse said:

isam said:

All the good domestic sport has been cut from the BBC, and people who like them do pay for them on sky

Except they don’t. I recall that F1 viewership in the UK has plummeted since it went to Sky. Only diehards will pay for Sky simply for the sport.

Same with test cricket. Same with boxing.

So why should we pay the BBC for it?

If people want to pay for live sport they can, but if they just want highlights etc that's available freely and legally on YouTube and plenty of other sites too. We don't need the BBC to package together some highlights program to be viewed after the day when it can be on YouTube within the hour.
    We are paying for it one way or the other. The choice is:

(a) everyone paying for advertising that is mostly an irritant to the people who watch it; or

(b) people who have decided that a TV license is worth having paying for it, and it being ad-free for those who watch it.
    B only works if you are prepared to chase all those who prefer a, to go thought the courts, get criminal convictions and possibly end up in prison,

A will, in reality include lots of add free, or limited adds subscription service like Amazon Prime and Netflix.

• Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

He's a complete idiot.

He still needs to get elected - I also think he is more left wing than we are giving him credit for...
    I mean he is in the Labour party.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    edited February 2020

And you could extend the principle....

For instance I do not have diabetes so I should get a discount on my taxes to remove support for diabetes. In fact, I make virtually no use of the NHS so other people who do use it should pay for it. Perhaps a form of health insurance would work? I am sure The Donald can give us a few pointers.

I rarely call the cops for anything, so another discount there... and I have never called the Fire Brigade, so another tax break there.....

So many options. I could spend my entire life just monitoring what I am due to pay taxes on. It would be a libertarian paradise. And my idea of hell.....

Healthcare, the police, the fire brigade are a necessity.
    No they are not. I do not need them, why should I pay for them?

I might need them later, but I can be taxed at the point of use.
    If you want to argue that then be my guest.

The BBC OTOH is not something that anyone might "need" later. Nobody ever "needs" it. Some people want it, they can pay for it, nobody "needs" it.
    What do I "need" the Fire Brigade for? My house is not on fire. And if install the correct fire suppression systems then I will never have a fire in the house.

I thought you right-wing types were all for personal responsibility and not putting burdens on the state... or is it all just about contributing as little as possible except where it benefits you or matches your prejudices?
    In case you didn't know, fires spread. If your neighbours start a fire that could spread to your property etc and vice-versa which is why its considered a necessity. People can die because of fires spreading.

The BBC is never a necessity. Nobody will die because they missed Homes Under the Hammer.
    The point (that you are so careful not to engage with) is that if we start allowing tax payers to pick and choose how their taxes are spent, then the whole system falls apart.

But you knew that, didn't you?
    It should fall apart if things are luxuries not necessities. The government should not be in the business of providing luxuries and taxing you to pay for other people's tastes.

The fire brigade, NHS, Police etc are matters of life and death. Without them people can die. Without Homes Under the Hammer nobody dies. Only a fool would compare the two . . . oh I see, you knew that, didn't you?
    Actually I don't think she does know it. Back to the first part of the last sentence.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,402

isam said:

All the good domestic sport has been cut from the BBC, and people who like them do pay for them on sky

Except they don’t. I recall that F1 viewership in the UK has plummeted since it went to Sky. Only diehards will pay for Sky simply for the sport.

If people want to pay for live sport they can, but if they just want highlights etc that's available freely and legally on YouTube and plenty of other sites too. We don't need the BBC to package together some highlights program to be viewed after the day when it can be on YouTube within the hour.
    I didn’t say we should pay the BBC for it. I’m just stating a fact rather than offering a solution. Everyone used to know who the heavyweight champion of the world was. F1 used to be on in most homes on Sunday afternoons.

Now it’s just the die hards. I’m not sure that’s a good thing.
    Everyone* also used to know what was No. 1, even if they weren't interested. Everyone* used to know the plot lines in soaps, even if they didn't watch them. I can't really remember how, but they did. Now they don't. There are far more outlets for our time and curiousity than there used to be, and culture has fractured somewhat.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,702

EPG said:

YouTube is part of a circa trillion-dollar media giant that would like to destroy and replace the BBC if it had the option. You can't compare the BBC's position regarding YouTube to entertainment content-creating supplicants like teenage YouTubers.

Yes you can, when all the kids are coming home every day and not turning on the tv to watch traditional tv, rather putting YouTube on. Most of the major US TV channels have woken up to this, the BBC haven't. You need to use YouTube to get people to interested in your content.
    Indeed. The only British film critic with any real international pull is Mark Kermode, and that's just because he gets a YouTube weekly. A lot of infotainment can be done with one person facing the camera talking, and you don't need a lot of production money nor staff to do that. Combine that with fair use, clips and a Patron page, and you can compete with the big boys. Ten years ago Richard Roeper was a well-paid critic and Chris Stuckmann was a bloke in a bedroom. Now the positions are reversed.

• Options

OllyT said:

DavidL said:

I am to be honest.

Yeah yeah.
    If only things you'd call drivel are what you dislike him doing, just because you dislike it, that doesn't make it drivel. If you can come up with pledges Johnson made that he abandoned the second he was elected that would be drivel - do you have any?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442

kicorse said:

isam said:

(a) everyone paying for advertising that is mostly an irritant to the people who watch it; or

(b) people who have decided that a TV license is worth having paying for it, and it being ad-free for those who watch it.
    We don't pay for advertising.
    Don't we pay with our time?
    Not really. Does the few seconds of pressing fast forward to skip the ads bother you that much? Or you can do something else if watching it live.
    The few seconds of our days we spend scrolling through, clicking off or simply trying not to engage have allowed google to become a trillion dollar company. Our aggregate time has become a commodity.
  • Options
    glw said:

Again it strikes me like the BBC feel the need to produce a tech show, public service remit and all that, but what you get is a very stale product in a market that is now dominated by YouTube channels that are massive and increasingly high quality.

Another example, Marques Brownlee (MKBHD) has three 4k videos out in the last 24 hours about the new Samsung phones, about 25 minutes of footage between them, and over 6 million viewers.

If you put a gun to their head and asked people under 30 to choose between the BBC and YouTube I expect 75% or more would pick the latter.

and a lot of over 30s as well even without a gun.

but I would love that to be a question in the next yougov or similer, if you had to give live without one for a year would it be Youtube or the BBC
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

He's a complete idiot.

He would have won either way.
  • Options
    Incidentally, how on earth do ITV and channels 4 and 5 make money these days? If I watch telly it is very rarely live (sometimes it us nearlt live but I have paused it to complete some minor domestic task). Thus, I only see adverts at 8x speed. This can't be atypical.
  • Options

eek said:

MaxPB said:

He's a complete idiot.

I mean he is in the Labour party.
    I think a lot of us think he is a centralist candidate - and he isn't in any other election he would probably be the left wing option..
  • Options

kicorse said:

isam said:

Yes, but mainly we pay with our money. That's so self-evident that it's bizarre that anyone would assert the opposite.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    EPG said:

Do we all at least agree that despite Neil and Kuennsberg, in the long-term, a larger role for billionaire-owned media is better for the Conservatives.

I agree with your implication that the BBC is better for the Labour party. Very refreshing of you to admit it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Cookie said:

Incidentally, how on earth do ITV and channels 4 and 5 make money these days? If I watch telly it is very rarely live (sometimes it us nearlt live but I have paused it to complete some minor domestic task). Thus, I only see adverts at 8x speed. This can't be atypical.

On SKY I can go through the ads at 30x....
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

OllyT said:

DavidL said:

I am to be honest.

Of course, Johnson never did that.
  • Options
    Very off topic but if you read one article on the current politics and sociology of China this is very strong. Its from a recently ostracised high status academic who is living within the country.

http://www.chinafile.com/reporting-opinion/viewpoint/viral-alarm-when-fury-overcomes-fear
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

I see Joe Biden's first South Carolina rally after his New Hampshire loss was filled with supporters carrying posters saying 'South Carolina is Biden country' many of them African Americans.

George W Bush did the same in 2000 with 'South Carolina is Bush country' posters after he lost New Hampshire to McCain

"He's old and a bit racist. Vote Biden in 2020!"

As campaign slogans go, it's a bit lacking... :(
    The current President is also old and very racist, so it might be a winning slogan.
  • Options

OllyT said:

DavidL said:

I am to be honest.

A fact which seems to pass everybody by. Rightly or wrongly, the options were well discussed, the various politicians took a stance, the public voted accordingly, and Boris won. Whatever happens, we can't say we weren't warned.
  • Options
    kicorse said:

kicorse said:

isam said:

Yes, but mainly we pay with our money. That's so self-evident that it's bizarre that anyone would assert the opposite.
    How do you pay Alphabet when you watch Youtube?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

EPG said:

YouTube is part of a circa trillion-dollar media giant that would like to destroy and replace the BBC if it had the option. You can't compare the BBC's position regarding YouTube to entertainment content-creating supplicants like teenage YouTubers.

Yes you can, when all the kids are coming home every day and not turning on the tv to watch traditional tv, rather putting YouTube on. Most of the major US TV channels have woken up to this, the BBC haven't. You need to use YouTube to get people to interested in your content.
    Indeed. The only British film critic with any real international pull is Mark Kermode, and that's just because he gets a YouTube weekly. A lot of infotainment can be done with one person facing the camera talking, and you don't need a lot of production money nor staff to do that. Combine that with fair use, clips and a Patron page, and you can compete with the big boys. Ten years ago Richard Roeper was a well-paid critic and Chris Stuckmann was a bloke in a bedroom. Now the positions are reversed.

One amusing anecdote I read the other day is that when Friends was launched, Phoebe Buffay was written to be a twin. The reason they did that had nothing to do with the Friends storyline and was just because of the actress cast. Lisa Kudrow played Ursula on Mad About You and once she was cast as Phoebe for Friends (which had no other relationship to Mad About You) the network was worried that it would be too jarring for the audience to see the same actress in two separate prime time shows one after the other.

So they wrote Phoebe to be Ursula's twin. That way if people watched the two shows back to back, it wasn't odd for the same actress to be in both because they were twins. Of course ultimately Lisa Kudrow became a lot more famous for Friends, but when Friends launched they wouldn't have realised that at the time.

I don't think a show would do that nowadays. Back then everyone sitting and watching shows back to back was normal. Now we pick what we want and watch it when we want to do so on series link and don't associate so much with what was before or after any particular show.
  • Options

If only things you'd call drivel are what you dislike him doing, just because you dislike it, that doesn't make it drivel. If you can come up with pledges Johnson made that he abandoned the second he was elected that would be drivel - do you have any?

"Under no circumstances, whatever happens, will I allow the EU or anyone else to create any kind of division down the Irish Sea or attenuate our Union”
  • Options
    glw said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

"He's old and a bit racist. Vote Biden in 2020!"

As campaign slogans go, it's a bit lacking... :(
    The current President is also old and very racist, so it might be a winning slogan.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Cookie said:

ITV has a pretty big TV production arm which licences programming globally. Media production and licencing is where the money is.

Line of Duty, for example is produced by ITV studios and then licenced to the BBC for a huge markup, more than they would get from showing it on ITV 1 and selling the advertising.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

kicorse said:

isam said:

B only works if you are prepared to chase all those who prefer a, to go thought the courts, get criminal convictions and possibly end up in prison,

A will, in reality include lots of add free, or limited adds subscription service like Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Subscription services are a genuine challenge to a lot of what the BBC does, and it will need to change significantly in response to that.

However, the preceding discussion wasn't about that. It was about an ideological opposition to the BBC and the public funding model, despite the obvious success of both, and the fact that the advertising (not subscription) model being proposed doesn't offer any benefits in terms of consumer choice.
  • Options

"Under no circumstances, whatever happens, will I allow the EU or anyone else to create any kind of division down the Irish Sea or attenuate our Union”
    I would argue he hasn't done so, as does he. You disagree but we could go around in circles on that one.

Anything else? Or is that it?
  • Options

The deal was made before the election, the public voted for Boris knowing all of that.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited February 2020
    Adonis now being rude about the Commonwealth

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1227558935265234951?s=20
  • Options
    kicorse said:

BigRich said:

kicorse said:

isam said:

Subscription services are a genuine challenge to a lot of what the BBC does, and it will need to change significantly in response to that.

However, the preceding discussion wasn't about that. It was about an ideological opposition to the BBC and the public funding model, despite the obvious success of both, and the fact that the advertising (not subscription) model being proposed doesn't offer any benefits in terms of consumer choice.
    Actually I don't think many people proposed an advertising model.

I know I proposed letting the BBC do whatever the heck it wants whether it be ads, voluntary subscriptions or charity. So long as its voluntary though was my point.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

glw said:

but I would love that to be a question in the next yougov or similer, if you had to give live without one for a year would it be Youtube or the BBC
    When my oldest daughter was born 10 years ago we were all over CBeebies. It was largely twee, preachy and pretty terrible (for every Hey Duggee there are 10 Me Toos) but it was there all the time. But by the time my youngest was born five years ago there was a lot more choice, and the mire they are able to exercise that choice, the less children opt for BBC. Oldest two (nearly ten, and eight) almist always watch Youtube; youngest (five) almost always goes for Netflix. I don't think Iplayer has had a look in at all for over six months.

The BBC is far too ready to confuse excellence with a lack of alternative.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I don't know. I don't switch the telly on at all these days. I've still got one but when I throw it out I genuinely dont know if I'll bother to replace it. My siblings watch it, but I think these days it's just wallpaper to occupy their time whilst they get drunk. Some stuff - strictly, call the midwife - gets watched but other than that I don't know.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

kicorse said:

kicorse said:

isam said:

We all pay through the advertising overhead on goods we buy. Therefore, there is no consumer choice short of opting out of being a consumer of (advertised) goods altogether.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The deal was made before the election, the public voted for Boris knowing all of that.
    We’re not talking about the election. We’re talking about the leadership campaign.
  • Options
    kicorse said:

kicorse said:

kicorse said:

isam said:

We all pay through the advertising overhead on goods we buy. Therefore, there is no consumer choice short of opting out of being consumer of (advertised) goods altogether.
    There are no advertising overheads on goods we buy.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    Nigelb said:

And ties will be broken by drawing cards rather than flipping a coin.

...Each precinct location will be given an unopened deck of cards by the Nevada Democratic Party. That deck then has to be shuffled at least seven times by the precinct chair or site lead. And then each candidate’s group will draw a card. The high card wins the delegate. (Aces are high. The suit order is spades highest, then hearts, diamonds, and clubs. Jokers and extra cards should be removed....

Only in Nevada!
  • Options

I would argue he hasn't done so, as does he. You disagree but we could go around in circles on that one.

You’re like a parody.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

At least Ed waited until the eve of the General Election to hang a ridiculous albatross of stone pledges round his neck. Starmer's getting it out of the way first thing!

The vote-rigging expansion of the franchise is now an explicit pledge as well. We see you, Labour.

Good news for Nandy, when Starmer only lasts a couple of years before it's clear he doesn't cut it with the voters.
  • Options

You’re like a parody.
    Do you want to answer the question?

Starmer has come up with 10 cards worth of bizarre pledges that we're supposed to ignore as meaningless leadership drivel. As apparently Johnson was just the same. So presumably you can find at least 10 points of "drivel" Johnson came up with during his campaign.

You claim Irish Sea, I'm not going to argue with that as its futile, anything else or is that it?
  • Options

Good news for Nandy, when Starmer only lasts a couple of years before it's clear he doesn't cut it with the voters.
    No, Starmer will make it to the GE because woke people will make it hard to publicly dissent against voting Labour, so all of the polls will move towards Labour. However, as happened in 2015, in the privacy of the polling booth, people will be free to make their voices heard. The lefty media will have another bout of "why don't people admit to voting Tory, I mean it's not like we're going to abuse you and try and get you fired at all".

It's already written.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

We’re not talking about the election. We’re talking about the leadership campaign.
    Tbh, I really don't think anyone in the party cared about it. We wanted to "get brexit done" and win the election. I voted for Hunt, but in retrospect Boris was probably the better choice for both of those things.
  • Options

viewcode said:

EPG said:

One amusing anecdote I read the other day is that when Friends was launched, Phoebe Buffay was written to be a twin. The reason they did that had nothing to do with the Friends storyline and was just because of the actress cast. Lisa Kudrow played Ursula on Mad About You and once she was cast as Phoebe for Friends (which had no other relationship to Mad About You) the network was worried that it would be too jarring for the audience to see the same actress in two separate prime time shows one after the other.

So they wrote Phoebe to be Ursula's twin. That way if people watched the two shows back to back, it wasn't odd for the same actress to be in both because they were twins. Of course ultimately Lisa Kudrow became a lot more famous for Friends, but when Friends launched they wouldn't have realised that at the time.

I don't think a show would do that nowadays. Back then everyone sitting and watching shows back to back was normal. Now we pick what we want and watch it when we want to do so on series link and don't associate so much with what was before or after any particular show.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,730
    edited February 2020
    I'm sure that you've already seen @MaxPB but the Chinese GP has been officially postponed - and comments already about struggling to put it somewhere else.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525

"Any kind of division" sounds pretty broad, I'd be curious to hear why a "customs border" doesn't meet that definition.

Plenty of ministers have had to waffle, and talk around this subject, and tend to avoid using the same language as the PM.
  • Options
    kicorse said:

BigRich said:

kicorse said:

isam said:

I strongly disagree, I will never give a penny of my money to the BBC as is not just deceitful organisation but is prim objective seems to be to venerates all that I hate and criticize, marginalize and ridicule me and my deeply held belief system.

Therefor, as I don't want to go to prison, I can not, watch live TV, leaving me with no chose. when the BBC goes subscription then i can watch TV of my chose.

Fortunately the BBC is inefficient, and un-dynamic, alawwing cost effective upstarts, find ways around its evil monopoly
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Adonis is a prat.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,162

Allow me to assist -

https://boris-johnson-lies.com/
  • Options

Oh dear, the desperation of right wing Tories to put down Starmer tells any Labour member everything they need to know. Tories are worried about Starmer. He will look very sensible when compared to The Clown. The Clown will have to be checking his back when he realises that Tory MPs are waking up to the fact that he is a bag of hot air.
  • Options
    nova said:

"Any kind of division" sounds pretty broad, I'd be curious to hear why a "customs border" doesn't meet that definition.

Plenty of ministers have had to waffle, and talk around this subject, and tend to avoid using the same language as the PM.
    The customs border is at the UK border, international law and the agreement states that explicitly.

There are some devolved operational differences that only continue with the consent of the devolved Assembly but then that's already the case so moot. If NI isn't happy with the devolved difference they can vote to end them in the devolved assembly, the EU isn't compelling NI to have any differences they don't choose in their own Assembly.
  • Options
    kicorse said:

kicorse said:

kicorse said:

isam said:

We all pay through the advertising overhead on goods we buy. Therefore, there is no consumer choice short of opting out of being a consumer of (advertised) goods altogether.
    I can understand that whether you see it online or not the people orgasming in P&G's latest Shampoo need to be paid.

But there is an attention economy out there. When you watch a stream, use a free app, or scroll through a social network you are paying facebook et al with your time which they then sell on. You may never buy the product or service that is presented to you, but you still pay.

Your seconds are their commodity with micro auctions going on whenever you click on a website to see how much the advertisers will pay for the few seconds of your wasted time.
  • Options
    Did I read that right, Starmer is proposing extending the franchise to EU nationals?

EU nationals that will be third party nationals at the time of the next election?

He’s gone mad.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

kicorse said:

BigRich said:

kicorse said:

isam said:

I strongly disagree, I will never give a penny of my money to the BBC as is not just deceitful organisation but is prim objective seems to be to venerates all that I hate and criticize, marginalize and ridicule me and my deeply held belief system.

Therefor, as I don't want to go to prison, I can not, watch live TV, leaving me with no chose. when the BBC goes subscription then i can watch TV of my chose.

Fortunately the BBC is inefficient, and un-dynamic, alawwing cost effective upstarts, find ways around its evil monopoly
    I wouldn't put it so strongly - but I do tend to get the impression from the BBC and its employees that they don't like me very much.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

No, Starmer will make it to the GE because woke people will make it hard to publicly dissent against voting Labour, so all of the polls will move towards Labour. However, as happened in 2015, in the privacy of the polling booth, people will be free to make their voices heard. The lefty media will have another bout of "why don't people admit to voting Tory, I mean it's not like we're going to abuse you and try and get you fired at all".

It's already written.
    I don't think Starmer would get a majority but he could get a hung parliament and enough seats to govern with the LDs (or maybe the LDs plus SNP) if hard Brexit goes badly on a pro single market ticket
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,280
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Tbh, I really don't think anyone in the party cared about it. We wanted to "get brexit done" and win the election. I voted for Hunt, but in retrospect Boris was probably the better choice for both of those things.
    Bloody hell. Setting the country on a path to a dissolution of the Union is something no one in the party cared about?
  • Options

Did I read that right, Starmer is proposing extending the franchise to EU nationals?

EU nationals that will be third party nationals at the time of the next election?

He’s gone mad.

EU nationals who are ordinary resident in the UK I imagine. We treat Irish nationals the same way.

I don’t know the details though.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Adonis is a prat.
    he might be, but his post is absolutely correct.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Adonis is a prat.
    India is in the Commonwealth with more people than the whole EU and will soon be a top 3 economy
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

It's already written.
    I don't think Starmer would get a majority but he could get a hung parliament and enough seats to govern with the LDs (or maybe the LDs plus SNP) if hard Brexit goes badly on a pro single market ticket
    I think that is a very likely scenario, whether hard Brexit is good or bad.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Bloody hell. Setting the country on a path to a dissolution of the Union is something no one in the party cared about?
    Boris has blocked indyref2 as per the Tory manifesto which got a majority
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Well I for one don't, I'd welcome it, but I don't see how we've done that either.

Johnson's NI protocol continues to operate only if the devolved NI Assembly wishes it to continue. Unless you abhor all devolution and wish to have nothing devolved ever, I fail to see any issue with that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You think that's rude? The UK is sending back ex cons who are largely the product of being brought up here back to the 'Commonwealth'.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,511

He’s gone mad.

EU nationals who are ordinary resident in the UK I imagine. We treat Irish nationals the same way.

Devil is in the detail. For historic reasons Ireland is a special case of course; but why, a few years after Brexit, should a Lithuanian national in the UK have a vote but a Cameroonian or Peruvian not?

• Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The current party membership clearly do not care a jot. It is why they are Conservative In Name Only. The Conservative Party ceased to be when the swiveleyed took the ascendancy and the more gullible (did I mention HYUFD?) fell in behind them.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,162
    BigRich said:

No BBC would leave a hole in my life. Bereft would be hyperbole but I'd notice and miss it a lot. The year would drag and I'd be constantly looking at the calendar and urging it to get a move on.

No YouTube for a year? Shame, shrug, forget it. But nice to have it back when the time is up.

That's how I would answer such a question from YouGov. If there was sufficient space.
  • Options

He’s gone mad.

Seems pretty reasonable to me. No taxation without representation
  • Options
    "If there was a case of a young white boy with blond hair who later dabbled in class A drugs and conspired with a friend to beat up a journalist, would he deport that boy, or is it one rule for young black boys from the Caribbean and another for white boys from the United States?"
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

He’s gone mad.

Devil is in the detail. For historic reasons Ireland is a special case of course; but why, a few years after Brexit, should a Lithuanian national in the UK have a vote but a Cameroonian or Peruvian not?

I don’t have a problem with anyone who is living here long term to vote in elections, regardless of where they are from.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020
    HYUFD said:

The Commonwealth has the Commonwealth Games.

Bit odd that the EU has never done anything similar. They could have the European Games every 4 years but don't.

Probably because it doesn't suit the Eurocrats agenda to have EU countries nationals competing against each other and they'd rather haven a European team competing against others but its the sort of thing a healthy self-confident organisation should really organise.
  • Options
    @AndyJS

At some point (perhaps quite soon) I expect Bloomberg to become favourite on Betfair.

On the basis that the only thing to do when you’re in a hole as big of mine is to keep digging I may keep some cash back to lay him some more when he goes to 2.8-3.0.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    kinabalu said:

BigRich said:

No BBC would leave a hole in my life. Bereft would be hyperbole but I'd notice and miss it a lot. The year would drag and I'd be constantly looking at the calendar and urging it to get a move on.

No YouTube for a year? Shame, shrug, forget it. But nice to have it back when the time is up.

That's how I would answer such a question from YouGov. If there was sufficient space.
    Look at the BBC from the opposite direction.

If it didn't exist, would we set it up now? What function would we want it to fulfil?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Adonis is a prat.
    India is in the Commonwealth with more people than the whole EU and will soon be a top 3 economy
    Not in any way because it was a member of the commonwealth, so tenuous argument. Adonis statement is historically accurate.
  • Options
    Let’s be honest no-one outside the Westminster bubble gives one F about the Commonwealth.
  • Options

All will be revealed on January 1st 2021. If you need paperwork due to customs between Scotland and Ireland then yep - he's created a division...
  • Options

He’s gone mad.

Labour knows that the current electorate makes it very difficult for them to win, so they'd like to replace it with one that gives them a chance. It's a sick distortion of democracy.

The Tories need to hammer Labour on this very hard for the next 5 years.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

He’s gone mad.

I don’t have a problem with anyone who is living here long term to vote in elections, regardless of where they are from.
    I fail to see the reason for giving the vote to any (additional) non U.K citizens.

Using the Lithuanian example, they are still entitled to vote in Lithuania. Why should they get a vote in multiple states?
  • Options
    eek said:

All will be revealed on January 1st 2021. If you need paperwork due to customs between Scotland and Ireland then yep - he's created a division...
    it is what he and his supporters do best!
  • Options
    philiph said:

algarkirk said:

He’s gone mad.

I fail to see the reason for giving the vote to any (additional) non U.K citizens.

Using the Lithuanian example, they are still entitled to vote in Lithuania. Why should they get a vote in multiple states?
    If they live here, they are part of the community. Why shouldn’t they have a say?

Bear in mind I don’t actually really care about this, this is not an important issue.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001

HYUFD said:

Bit odd that the EU has never done anything similar. They could have the European Games every 4 years but don't.

Probably because it doesn't suit the Eurocrats agenda to have EU countries nationals competing against each other and they'd rather haven a European team competing against others but its the sort of thing a healthy self-confident organisation should really organise.
    They have Erasmus.
  • Options

Let’s be honest no-one outside the Westminster bubble gives one F about the Commonwealth.

HM Queen, and probably no-one else other than uber-Royalists and Col. Blimps..
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Adonis is a prat.
    Not in any way because it was a member of the commonwealth, so tenuous argument. Adonis statement is historically accurate.
    It may have had an influence on WW11
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He’s got it in one.

They’d be worried it’d promote national identity, so they’re not interested.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He’s got it in one.

You guys are obsessed with the EU. You need to get over it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

No doubt had they done so, people with your political perspective would have gone into an eye swivelling apoplectic rage. Shame the EU didn't do it really.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Bit odd that the UK has never done anything similar. They could have the British Games every 4 years but don't.

Probably because it doesn't suit the Unionist agenda to have UK nations competing against each other and they'd rather haven a UK team competing against others but its the sort of thing a healthy self-confident organisation should really organise.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    HYUFD said:
    Yes, we have retreated to the hand-wringer vote base.

Look what we need to do to attract more voters - lock the scrotes up.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,280

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Well I for one don't, I'd welcome it, but I don't see how we've done that either.

Johnson's NI protocol continues to operate only if the devolved NI Assembly wishes it to continue. Unless you abhor all devolution and wish to have nothing devolved ever, I fail to see any issue with that.
    If it happens it happens (same as Scottish independence); I personally would go with "the people".

But that's not the issue: the putative defender of the Union, ie the leader of the Conservative *** U******* Party saying, as would be expected, and indeed as his predecessor did, that he would never agree to a measure which would give a filip to those who want Irish unification, and then giving a filip to those who want Irish unification, is nothing short of extraordinary.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Yes, we have retreated to the hand-wringer vote base.

Look what we need to do to attract more voters - lock the scrotes up.
    Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He’s got it in one.

You guys are obsessed with the EU. You need to get over it.
    They can't. I was speaking with a leaver the other night and she was still so angry about the EU it was like they had lost the referendum. I had to remind her that though it was by small margin, they won! It is sadly just a hatred of the foreigner thing.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,511
    edited February 2020
    philiph said:

kinabalu said:

BigRich said:

Look at the BBC from the opposite direction.

If it didn't exist, would we set it up now? What function would we want it to fulfil?
    Mostly the public service remit: world news to 'Economist' standard, Parliament live, World Service, the stuff at the heart of Radio 4, rolling high quality news and comment, independently holding power to account. But without the luvvie and liberal bias, the faux populism of Radio 5 and the stuff that is either better not done at all, better done by subscription and better done by advertising.

The great majority of what would be worth keeping can be done much more cheaply on radio.

This discussion has been closed.