Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Irish General Election 2020 : Results & Review (Part One : C &

Comments

• Options
    tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Smith, Leadsom and McVey out of the Cabinet then with the reshuffle under way

Harsh on Smith.
    Indeed plus you really don’t want a pissed off former Chief Whip on the backbenches.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    Competition time

What would the headline be if it were the other brothers wife?

https://twitter.com/thesun/status/1227854920860262400?s=21
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    Next Taoiseach, approx odds are MM at 1/2 and MLM at 2/1 - Any views on this?
  • Options
    Geoffrey Cox sacked? Wasn't he - for reasons I can't remember - hailed as
    a political gem at some point?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Next Taoiseach, approx odds are MM at 1/2 and MLM at 2/1 - Any views on this?

My first view is that there's more letters than just M for initials.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.
    Indeed plus you really don’t want a pissed off former Chief Whip on the backbenches.
    Truss still in Cabinet? Jeez...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think Keir Starmer is going to be a slightly more competent version of Nicola Murray. He will end up jumping on every possibly bandwagon and stand for nothing.

As mentioned before, the attempts by right wing Tories to slate Starmer merely demonstrates he is the right person for the job. I have always traditionally voted Tory, but could be very comfortable with Starmer as PM, far more comfortable than I am with the egotistical clown who currently holds that office. I suspect there will be a lot who feel likewise.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.
    Actually would like 2: #Williamsonout
  • Options
    Ah the reason Julian Smith was fired, Boris Johnson doesn’t do detail.

The Northern Ireland secretary Julian Smith was fired this morning, becoming the first casualty of Boris Johnson’s cabinet reshuffle.

He had been considered safe after securing a power-sharing deal at Stormont. However, Mr Johnson was said to have felt “blindsided” by the deal, which includes an investigation into alleged crimes by British soldiers in the Troubles. “There is concern about the way he’s been operating,” a senior government source said.

The Times understands that the cabinet was fully briefed on the deal before it was agreed, including on aspects concerning historic investigations.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/cabinet-s-women-hit-hardest-in-boris-johnson-s-first-reshuffle-f3snfp6wd
  • Options
    You just know its all downhill from here, don't you?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    eek said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.
    By getting Stormont up and running Boris now has something that will be showing how bad his deal is for Northern Ireland. I suspect Boris would prefer it not to have re-opened.
    His Deal keeps Northern Ireland in a Customs Union and most of the single market while GB gets hard Brexit, for Remain voting Northern Ireland it is a great deal
  • Options
    isam said:

Competition time

Ha, very good.

"Takes one to know one?"
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977

He was pb tory wank fodder at one point because he was a sort of eBay Netenyahu - basso profundo voice, comb over and gives the impression he'd be up for a bit of ethnic cleansing.
  • Options
    Yes. But he's kind of a memetic idiot savant. For any given tweet, you can't assume he's wrong.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

The Northern Ireland secretary Julian Smith was fired this morning, becoming the first casualty of Boris Johnson’s cabinet reshuffle.

He had been considered safe after securing a power-sharing deal at Stormont. However, Mr Johnson was said to have felt “blindsided” by the deal, which includes an investigation into alleged crimes by British soldiers in the Troubles. “There is concern about the way he’s been operating,” a senior government source said.

The Times understands that the cabinet was fully briefed on the deal before it was agreed, including on aspects concerning historic investigations.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/cabinet-s-women-hit-hardest-in-boris-johnson-s-first-reshuffle-f3snfp6wd

Suggests a hardline Unionist and pro military NI Secretary of State will replace him, maybe IDS or a return for Owen Patterson?
  • Options
    That'll be the dementia kicking in.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.
    Presumably at some time or other Boris shagged her?
  • Options
    Millions of northerners sigh as they realise he wasn’t one of them after all
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    Dura_Ace said:

He was pb tory wank fodder at one point because he was a sort of eBay Netenyahu - basso profundo voice, comb over and gives the impression he'd be up for a bit of ethnic cleansing.
    A future in TV ad voiceovers awaits.
  • Options
    Theresa Villiers also sacked
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Suggests a hardline Unionist and pro military NI Secretary of State will replace him, maybe IDS or a return for Owen Patterson?
    Pimping for IDS already?
  • Options
    eek said:
    The Solicitor General stepped in, and presumably kept his job for at least half an hour.
  • Options
    eek said:
    Suggestion is that he might get the Glasgow gig. May be attractive if he is allowed to go back to earning some proper money on the side.
  • Options

My first view is that there's more letters than just M for initials.

It is a bit M heavy over there, isn't it. But my query was more for the bettors. You are not a bettor. You're a libertarian.

PS: I spelled Taoiseach bang on without looking. Smug city.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

How much better can it get? Just a shame they need replacements.
  • Options

The problem with Cox is that he gave independent legal advice (see May’s revised deal). Johnson needs someone more supine for his judicial powergrab. There are rumours the lavishly untalented Suella Braverman may be in line for the job.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Competition time

Ha, very good.

"Takes one to know one?"
    Don't worry, this one's not poisonous?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.
    By getting Stormont up and running Boris now has something that will be showing how bad his deal is for Northern Ireland. I suspect Boris would prefer it not to have re-opened.
    His Deal keeps Northern Ireland in a Customs Union and most of the single market while GB gets hard Brexit, for Remain voting Northern Ireland it is a great deal
    It might get great inward investment to NI. Stay in the (nominal) UK and get access to the single market that the swivel eyed fuckwits have denied to your business on the mainland. Tempting.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.
    Please it is #TheDisgracedNationalSecurityRiskWilliamsonOut
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Fat chance!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I suspect that there will be a big clear out of remaining May placemen and women.
  • Options

The problem with Cox is that he gave independent legal advice (see May’s revised deal). Johnson needs someone more supine for his judicial powergrab. There are rumours the lavishly untalented Suella Braverman may be in line for the job.

Oh God, my MP!
  • Options

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.
    That is a disgrace. Don't you know she had great success opening up pork markets?
  • Options

That'll be the dementia kicking in.
    Trump supporters drive electric cars?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

I suspect that there will be a big clear out of remaining May placemen and women.
    Good. May was hardly a ringing endorsement of success.
  • Options

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.
    Sorry. For a lawyer I am overly prone to being concise.
  • Options
    Always knew Larry was a Remainer.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    edited February 2020

Yes. But he's kind of a memetic idiot savant. For any given tweet, you can't assume he's wrong.
    I guess so.
    The underlying message here may be that the real tough guys are for Trump and Jewish neurotic, dweeby pencil necks better get with the program and start sporting their MAGA hats if they know what's good for them.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

MaxPB said:

I think Keir Starmer is going to be a slightly more competent version of Nicola Murray. He will end up jumping on every possibly bandwagon and stand for nothing.

As mentioned before, the attempts by right wing Tories to slate Starmer merely demonstrates he is the right person for the job. I have always traditionally voted Tory, but could be very comfortable with Starmer as PM, far more comfortable than I am with the egotistical clown who currently holds that office. I suspect there will be a lot who feel likewise.
    I always enjoy a good “I’ve always voted X but Y had made me see the light” argument. Certainly has the ring of truth. Usually seen only around elections mind you, so congratulations on your stamina.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I’m hearing the new NI Secretary is John "Bunter" Graham.
  • Options
    northernpowerhouse2northernpowerhouse2 Posts: 190
    edited February 2020
    isam said:
    This explains both a lot of the support for and opposition to climate change. The science is merely incidental. If CC proposed solutions involved extending free trade and economic liberalism much on the right would be all over it and the left viciously opposed to it.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.
    That is a disgrace. Don't you know she had great success opening up pork markets?
    Same thing, no?
  • Options
    edited February 2020

MaxPB said:

Whereas the attempts by left wingers to slate Boris merely demonstrate how correct they are!
  • Options
    Endillion said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.
    Same thing, no?
    That was the joke.
  • Options
    Is promotion for Grant Shapps on the cards?
  • Options
    Virus figures have jumped.
  • Options

Boris has declared the value of the trip correctly. A party donor said he would organise a place. Turns out the donor found a late cancellation, persuaded whoever's place it was that having the PM stay would be well worth £15k of waived rental. PM happy, donor has saved £15k himself, so donor happy, owner of place happy.

Sorry, but where in this arrangement should UK taxpayer be unhappy?

I shouldn't think most taxpayers care. But Parliamentary rules require that you state who has given you non-trivial gifts, including gifts in kind, so that people can assess whether this might have affected your judgment about an issue. We should not establish the principle that gifts in kind don't matter. Nor the principle that Prime Ministers don't need to follow the rules.

This is not to suggest that Johnson has deliberately done anything wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if he's never got round to reading the rules exactly, so he thought it was correct to put down the chap who arranged the stay. But the mistake should be corrected and (assuming the actual donor is not someone dodgy) we should then move on.
    Also, if I , as a business owner, tried to make the same argument HMRC would say it was a benefit in kind. I would need to pay tax on that. Anyone know whether he will be paying BIK tax on this?
    No he won't and nor would you. Personal gifts are exempt from BIK tax unless the recipient is providing the giver a benefit in connection with your work in return (i.e. it isn't really a gift, it is a payment for work disguised as a gift). If you are a celebrity and people give you free stuff because they hope to benefit from association (or simply because they like you) those gifts are not taxable.
  • Options

In China
  • Options
    👀

The American chief executive of Barclays (BCS), Jes Staley, is being investigated by British regulators over his relationship with disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein, the bank said in a statement on Thursday.

"The relationship between Mr Staley and Mr Epstein was the subject of an enquiry from the Financial Conduct Authority to which the Company responded," Barclays said. "The FCA ... subsequently commenced an investigation, which is ongoing, into Mr Staley's characterization to the company of his relationship with Mr Epstein and the subsequent description of that relationship in the company's response to the FCA."
    The focus of the investigation is whether that relationship was properly disclosed to the bank and regulators.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/13/business/barclays-jes-staley-jeffrey-epstein/index.html
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

Also £15k doesn't feel like a lot for me. It's close to that for that period of time at some of the hotels I stay in in Barbados and Sandy Lane would be rather more...

£15,000 equates to the annual salary of someone working a 35 hour week at minimum wage.
    Should Boris also move into a one-bed flat in Bolton?
    My other half and I went on a trip abroad last year, not particularly flamboyant but came to probably about £6k to £8k. If I was the PM my wife would insist on us not using Airbnb when we could...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    edited February 2020

I think what the figures may be showing is that a lot of people in a Chinese city like Wuhan are in poor health and vulnerable to a virus of this type. It doesn't seem to be causing serious illnesses elsewhere to any significant degree.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson should have holidayed in Barnsley.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.
    Concision leads to fewer billable hours.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

I think the reporting criteria has changed but yep - things don't look good..
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I think what the figures may be showing is that a lot of people in a Chinese city like Wuhan are in poor health and vulnerable to a virus of this type. It doesn't seem to be causing serious illnesses elsewhere to any significant degree.
    It did cross my mind that their pollution issues may well have made them particularly vulnerable to a virus that seems to attack the respiratory system.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    HYUFD said:
    Quite right. If they've only devastated the poor, sick, disabled, homeless and unemployed then they haven't been doing their job properly.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.
    I am aware. Its a flaw.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.
    It usually takes longer to write high quality concise documents and clients don't want it.

I find it hilarious that companies will willingly pay for 100+ pages of documents with more caveats than detail rather than a 15 slide deck with actual content...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2020
    I see the eco-fascists are digging up the lawn outside the environment office. They really are total tw@ts. Good job they aren't trying to do this to somebodies lawn in Canning Town.
  • Options

isam said:
    This explains both a lot of the support for and opposition to climate change. The science is merely incidental. If CC proposed solutions involved extending free trade and economic liberalism much on the right would be all over it and the left viciously opposed to it.
    Renewable energy is cheaper than coal. Jobs in renewable energy are growing.
    It's not so much left vs right it's more straightforward payments by fossil fuel companies to politicians.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    HYUFD said:

In China
    Is this not that they have changed the counting method.

Rather like the human trafficking figures are still published as "potential victims", and seem to include large numbers of people who actually consented to be "trafficked".

' "Meaningless. Meaningless', said the Philosopher.'
  • Options
    eek said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.
    It usually takes longer to write high quality concise documents and clients don't want it.

I find it hilarious that companies will willingly pay for 100+ pages of documents with more caveats than detail rather than a 15 slide deck with actual content...
    It reminds me of that Sonnet 129 that was linked to on here the other day. So much meaning packed into so few words it needed a lot of (rewarding) work.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    Quite right. If they've only devastated the poor, sick, disabled, homeless and unemployed then they haven't been doing their job properly.
    Old Granny Rayner is a piece of work.
  • Options
    What is Johnson up to with Cox? Is this something to do with plans to reform/attack the judges?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Andy_JS said:

Wretched Chinese air quality = poor respiratory health = sitting duck.

Other cities that need to worry in Indonesia and Vietnam. The rest of the word not so much?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.

It reminds me of that Sonnet 129 that was linked to on here the other day. So much meaning packed into so few words it needed a lot of (rewarding) work.
    Yes. Churchill's famous letter in which he apologises for its length saying he didn't have the time to write a short one.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,337

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.
    But more satisfied clients.

• Options
    @TheScreamingEagles off politics you said recently that if Liverpool didn't release Mo Salah for Egypt in the Olympics then he could be suspended from playing for Liverpool - but this report seems to indicate that Liverpool are under no obligation to release him and its a decision for him and the club to decide upon? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51483484

Are you sure about the suspension? There's no threat of it in this article.
  • Options

What is Johnson up to with Cox? Is this something to do with plans to reform/attack the judges?

One voice booming nonsense at the cabinet table is quite sufficient ?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It is way too early to conclude it's under control.
    We'll know one way or another in about a month, I would guess.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.
    I am aware. Its a flaw.
    But not necessarily fewer billed hours though.
  • Options

Because Brian Blessed was doing panto.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    In what possible sense is a PM reshuffling his cabinet a coup ?
    In this case, it's not even a coup de théâtre.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,504
    Unfortunately his office and responsibilities has been given to Dylan...
  • Options

@TheScreamingEagles off politics you said recently that if Liverpool didn't release Mo Salah for Egypt in the Olympics then he could be suspended from playing for Liverpool - but this report seems to indicate that Liverpool are under no obligation to release him and its a decision for him and the club to decide upon? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51483484

Are you sure about the suspension? There's no threat of it in this article.

There was a piece on the Echo site a while back, I’ll try and dig it out.
  • Options
    Nus Ghani out - a bit surprising.
  • Options
    eek said:

Concise prose is a high skill. Indeed an art. Hemingway had a technique whereby he would get some stuff down quickly, then he would go through it and for every single part of it would ask himself a series of questions. Is this para really necessary? If no, scrap it. If yes, next question. Is every sentence in this para necessary? If no, scrap. And then, looking at the sentences remaining, next question. Is every word in this sentence necessary? If no, delete it. And then finally, gazing pitilessly at each and every word which had survived thus far. Can this word be replaced by a shorter one? If yes, out with it, and in with that shorter word. Out of such rigour came some very slim pickings indeed, e.g. The Old Man and the Sea.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

This, from the Guardian liveblog earlier today:
    One staffer at the Northern Ireland Office in Belfast said colleagues had been crossing fingers - literally - for Smith to be kept on as secretary of state, saying he was the most engaged, competent boss they had had in a long time, I’m told....

A cabinet which toes the line seems to be the aim; independence, let alone dissent, will not be tolerated.
    Ever so slightly Trumpian.
  • Options
    Julian Smith gone for not standing staunchly enough with Soldier F it would appear.

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1227886851882725376?s=20

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1227908801321410560?s=20

Kwality barb.

'But Julian Smith established himself as the first secretary of state in years, arguably since Labour left office, to be respected across Northern Ireland’s political firmament; and the first since David Cameron left office to not be regarded as a wholly-owned subsidiary of the DUP at best or Karen Bradley at worst.'
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    It's always good to look back every now and again;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7C1csFQ8D0s
  • Options
    Often turn to OJ when I need my sinews stiffening (as I do today). This piece raises the prospect of Piers Morgan in 30 years time apologizing on live TV for being wrong about everything in 2020. My first instinct was to cheer at this notion but on second thoughts I'm not sure how I feel about Piers Morgan still being on TV in 2050.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/12/minorities-labour-defeat-woke-issues?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    edited February 2020
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.

Yes. Churchill's famous letter in which he apologises for its length saying he didn't have the time to write a short one.
    Mark Twain

EDIT or Pascal

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/04/28/shorter-letter/
  • Options

Nus Ghani out - a bit surprising.

Boris looking for a new set of gamekeepers at Transport to oversee HS2 - the previous set deemed ineffectual at controlling costs?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Mark Twain

It's always Churchill or Twain or Wilde, isn't it?

Don't know why anybody else bothered speaking.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

F1: more markets up on Ladbrokes. The season race wins returns but with China specifically excluded, which I suspect will be a common theme.

Nothing leaps out.

I'll have a look at them shortly.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Mark Twain

It's always Churchill or Twain or Wilde, isn't it?

Don't know why anybody else bothered speaking.
    Or Shakespeare.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

It is way too early to conclude it's under control.
    We'll know one way or another in about a month, I would guess.
    Both are quite probably true.
  • Options

Or Shakespeare.

Oh yes. But that's all in the works. I'm talking about the mon bots.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Harsh on Smith.

Mark Twain

EDIT or Pascal

Not according to best research, he never used it.

It appears to be a quote with a long pedigree that has been used subsequently by a range of people.

This discussion has been closed.