Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Irish General Election 2020 : Results & Review (Part One : C &

1235»

Comments

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

What's your view, Green Machine? Are you from the north or the republic, and do you have an allegiance?
    I'm in the North @Cookie.

I don't really have an allegiance as such. There are good and bad in every party. I'm pretty open minded. I guess that maybe makes me pretty central.

The problem I feel is, down south there are no centre alternatives.
    I've always found ROI politics fascinating, in that it eschews the left-right pattern of almost every other democracy. I always perceived FG as infitessimally more economically right that FF, but as FG always govern in coalition with Labour this distinction is almost meaningless. Even the names are more impenetrable than those of most European democacies.
    I'd always seen FF as the centre party, if such a thing exists, but perhaps this is not so?
    I'd say F.F are slightly​ right of F.G, not by much though.
    FF are in the ALDE whereas FG is EPP. Surely that tells us what we need to know?
    For anyone who doesn't know what they stand for, ALDE = Alliance of Liberals​ and Democrats for Europe & EPP = European People's Party.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,216
    Maybe this wartime exhortation to staff to write shorter briefings explains Churchill's connection with the short letter meme:

https://www.businessinsider.com/memo-winston-churchill-on-brevity-improve-writing-2017-5?r=US&IR=T
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918

IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

What's your view, Green Machine? Are you from the north or the republic, and do you have an allegiance?
    I'm in the North @Cookie.

I don't really have an allegiance as such. There are good and bad in every party. I'm pretty open minded. I guess that maybe makes me pretty central.

The problem I feel is, down south there are no centre alternatives.
    I've always found ROI politics fascinating, in that it eschews the left-right pattern of almost every other democracy. I always perceived FG as infitessimally more economically right that FF, but as FG always govern in coalition with Labour this distinction is almost meaningless. Even the names are more impenetrable than those of most European democacies.
    I'd always seen FF as the centre party, if such a thing exists, but perhaps this is not so?
    I'd say F.F are slightly​ right of F.G, not by much though.
    FF are in the ALDE whereas FG is EPP. Surely that tells us what we need to know?
    For anyone who doesn't know what they stand for, ALDE = Alliance of Liberals​ and Democrats for Europe & EPP = European People's Party.
    Isn't there a rule which says there can't be two parties from one country in any Group?
  • Options

On the Coronavirus, the latest state of play:

https://twitter.com/COVID19__News/status/1227849389038690305

No Ireland then.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    Banterman said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    Quite right. If they've only devastated the poor, sick, disabled, homeless and unemployed then they haven't been doing their job properly.
    Old Granny Rayner is a piece of work.
    Isn't her piece (and her stock in trade) a whinge and a moan?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Smith, Leadsom and McVey out of the Cabinet then with the reshuffle under way

Duncan Smith?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,086
    So, the consensus among those with their heads screwed on seems to be that "Boris" is sacking competent people who have minds of their own. This does not augur well for quality of government. Can't say I'm surprised, tbh.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Next Taoiseach, approx odds are MM at 1/2 and MLM at 2/1 - Any views on this?

Micheál Martin is a fair price. Mary Lou should be higher.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,086

Micheál Martin is a fair price. Mary Lou should be higher.

Thanks. That was my feeling too. I might back him if I can get 1.6.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    isam said:

Competition time

What would the headline be if it were the other brothers wife?

https://twitter.com/thesun/status/1227854920860262400?s=21

The new Eve? Meghan and snake together.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

On the Coronavirus, the latest state of play:

https://twitter.com/COVID19__News/status/1227849389038690305

No Ireland then.
    Ah yes, it's snake flu. Ireland is famously short on snakes.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Nigelb said:

Ah the reason Julian Smith was fired, Boris Johnson doesn’t do detail.

The Northern Ireland secretary Julian Smith was fired this morning, becoming the first casualty of Boris Johnson’s cabinet reshuffle.

He had been considered safe after securing a power-sharing deal at Stormont. However, Mr Johnson was said to have felt “blindsided” by the deal, which includes an investigation into alleged crimes by British soldiers in the Troubles. “There is concern about the way he’s been operating,” a senior government source said.

The Times understands that the cabinet was fully briefed on the deal before it was agreed, including on aspects concerning historic investigations.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/cabinet-s-women-hit-hardest-in-boris-johnson-s-first-reshuffle-f3snfp6wd

This, from the Guardian liveblog earlier today:
    One staffer at the Northern Ireland Office in Belfast said colleagues had been crossing fingers - literally - for Smith to be kept on as secretary of state, saying he was the most engaged, competent boss they had had in a long time, I’m told....

A cabinet which toes the line seems to be the aim; independence, let alone dissent, will not be tolerated.
    Ever so slightly Trumpian.
    If the investigations into British soldiers is part of the deal to reopen Stormont then surely the government wont stop the investigations now, in which case why change the Northern Ireland secretary?

Ans I thought Mercer had secured some sort of victory these sorts of investigations won't happen.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,978
    To recast the Arabic proverb regarding the English: It's better to be Johnson's enemy than his friend because he buys his enemies and sells his friends.
This discussion has been closed.