Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New poll has Starmer dwarfing Nandy and RLB as the one most li

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited February 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New poll has Starmer dwarfing Nandy and RLB as the one most likely to win a general election

After four successive general election defeats the one thing that the Labour movement wants more than anything else is a leader who can lead the party into a general election victory and back to power. Note this was from Opinium’s regular voting poll and is not of the party’s selectorate.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    But, it HAS to be a woman!
  • Options
    dodrade said:

Then Labour can emulate the success of Next Prime Minister Jo Swinson.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    dodrade said:

If he serves a full term it will have been fifty years since Thatcher became LoTO. :smiley:
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    edited February 2020
    Nandy is actually the most electable but Labour prefer white men so will elect Starmer.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Gabs3 said:

Nandy is actually the most electable but Labour prefer white men so will elect Starmer.

I agree that Nandy is probably more electable. But I think this is not to do with testicles (or lack thereof). I think Labour members felt they rolled the dice last time, and that didn't work out so well.

They're feeling conservative, and Starmer is the conservative, low risk, option.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Gabs3 said:

Nandy is lightweight, she might appeal more to Leavers than Starmer but few of them are going to switch back from the Tories under Boris anyway.

Starmer is Labour's best bet if they want to appeal to Tory and LD Remainers, especially if we go to WTO+ Brexit.

Long Bailey though would be the best option for the Tories and would appeal to barely any voters beyond those already voting Labour
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Gabs3 said:

I agree that Nandy is probably more electable. But I think this is not to do with testicles (or lack thereof). I think Labour members felt they rolled the dice last time, and that didn't work out so well.

They're feeling conservative, and Starmer is the conservative, low risk, option.
    I wonder whether the Corbynistas changes to the method of electing a Labour leader, by introducing the CLP and union phase, has shot themselves in the foot?

When Corbyn was elected he only just scraped through the nominations but then the long campaign began and he took off.

By adding the CLP phase Starmer has been able to build on his early success with MP nominations by clearing up the CLP nominations too. He's been able to build up momentum - and thus take power away from Momentum.

RLB may in hindsight have had an easier ride if we'd gone straight from the nominations to the campaign and then ballots.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Gabs3 said:

I wonder whether the Corbynistas changes to the method of electing a Labour leader, by introducing the CLP and union phase, has shot themselves in the foot?

When Corbyn was elected he only just scraped through the nominations but then the long campaign began and he took off.

By adding the CLP phase Starmer has been able to build on his early success with MP nominations by clearing up the CLP nominations too. He's been able to build up momentum - and thus take power away from Momentum.

RLB may in hindsight have had an easier ride if we'd gone straight from the nominations to the campaign and then ballots.
    I think that's very plausible.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

rcs1000 said:

Gabs3 said:

I'm wondering if Corbyn is going to "let" RLB respond to the budget in his place next month (assuming the Budget happens).
  • Options
    Crazy rumour heard at dinner last night. Sanders is scared by the rise of Bloomberg and is considering offering Klobuchar or Buttigieg the VP role.

Apparently we could hear something sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,759
    rcs1000 said:

Crazy rumour heard at dinner last night. Sanders is scared by the rise of Bloomberg and is considering offering Klobuchar or Buttigieg the VP role.

So this is a reboot of Season 7 of the West Wing?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I heard he was considering Tulsi Gabbard. Maybe just put the same rumour around for all the candidates, helps snag a few of their supporters if they pull out.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2020

rcs1000 said:

I heard he was considering Tulsi Gabbard. Maybe just put the same rumour around for all the candidates, helps snag a few of their supporters if they pull out.
    Given Sanders is about 107, his main concern in choosing a VP pick will be a left wing successor.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

rcs1000 said:

Given Sanders is about 107, his main concern in choosing a VP pick will be a left wing successor.
    On the other hand, he wants to win the nomination and the presidency, and therefore reaching out to the other side of the Democratic party make sense.

Tulsi Gabbard, for example, is not well liked by Democrats
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:
    Yes, I read that piece too. It made me rather like him.

My biggest issue with Sanders is health care plan. You see, he isn't proposing a National Health Service, with people being free to "top up" with private health care, as happens in the UK. He's proposing only allowing public healthcare. That's not a vote winner.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

We hear these rumours every time that the VP pick will be one of the runners-up in the primaries but it is invariably some no-mark we've never heard of. Obama/Biden is one exception.
  • Options
    The Met Office is to spend over £1 billion on a new supercomputer, though for some reason wants to house it abroad. #Brexit
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51504002

It has to be IBM, doesn't it? Are there any other Western players?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

We hear these rumours every time that the VP pick will be one of the runners-up in the primaries but it is invariably some no-mark we've never heard of. Obama/Biden is one exception.
    I think the chances of it being another candidate are higher this time because if the combination of a fragmented field and front-loading, which means maybe 40% of delegates may have been allocated before the field really thins. There's going to be a lot of pressure to resolve it well before the convention, and the easy way to do that is for one of the top three to cut a deal with another of the top three.

This dynamic also kind of makes things easier for Bernie and/or Biden to head the ticket, because young-cardinals-old-popes.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

The Met Office is to spend over £1 billion on a new supercomputer, though for some reason wants to house it abroad. #Brexit

In the old Met Office in Bracknell, there used to be two Cray Supercomputers, known colloquially as the Cray Twins. I believe the company is now part of HP.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Gabs3 said:

My biggest issue with Sanders is health care plan. You see, he isn't proposing a National Health Service, with people being free to "top up" with private health care, as happens in the UK. He's proposing only allowing public healthcare. That's not a vote winner.
    It amazes me that none of the candidates are talking about the ban on Medicare and Medicaid negotiating with drug companies, nor that the USA is the only country where TV is full of adverts for prescription-only drugs. It’s almost as if media and drug companies give massive campaign donations to all the politicians.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Gabs3 said:

And for many with health care plans their primary care services are at a much higher standard than we expect and accept over here.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I think the chances of it being another candidate are higher this time because if the combination of a fragmented field and front-loading, which means maybe 40% of delegates may have been allocated before the field really thins. There's going to be a lot of pressure to resolve it well before the convention, and the easy way to do that is for one of the top three to cut a deal with another of the top three.

This dynamic also kind of makes things easier for Bernie and/or Biden to head the ticket, because young-cardinals-old-popes.
    My fear is Biden endorses Bloomberg.
  • Options

The BBC are making a documentary about Dominic Cummings, and according to the Daily Mail they are "planning to interview" Colin Perry who says that Cummings assaulted him 20 years ago by grabbing his lapels (further on in the article the reference is to grabbing his collar and tie) and pushing him against a wall. Allegedly that was when Perry had been representing the CBI on the radio, when he accused Cummings of wanting Britain not merely to retain sterling but to withdraw from the EU entirely. Perry's story is that Cummings responded with violence to such an outrageous allegation, describing it as a "lie". Cummings's story is that the men simply stumbled into each other. Both were 27. Bit of a non-story really. But the Daily Mail have really got it in for Cummings. Why?

No date has been set for the broadcast.

"Government sources" say Cummings has "discussed" stripping the CBI of its royal charter. Until I read that, I didn't know it had one. Does it matter much?

The games that are being played at the moment!

Certain parts of the media have really got it in for Dominic Cummings, most likely over his role in the EU referendum and his desire to seriously shake up the way government works. I say good luck to the guy.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    Sandpit said:

In the old Met Office in Bracknell, there used to be two Cray Supercomputers, known colloquially as the Cray Twins. I believe the company is now part of HP.
    Was that some time ago , I thought they had IBM HPC system currently.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,374
    edited February 2020
    Sandpit said:

The BBC are making a documentary about Dominic Cummings, and according to the Daily Mail they are "planning to interview" Colin Perry who says that Cummings assaulted him 20 years ago by grabbing his lapels (further on in the article the reference is to grabbing his collar and tie) and pushing him against a wall. Allegedly that was when Perry had been representing the CBI on the radio, when he accused Cummings of wanting Britain not merely to retain sterling but to withdraw from the EU entirely. Perry's story is that Cummings responded with violence to such an outrageous allegation, describing it as a "lie". Cummings's story is that the men simply stumbled into each other. Both were 27. Bit of a non-story really. But the Daily Mail have really got it in for Cummings. Why?

"Government sources" say Cummings has "discussed" stripping the CBI of its royal charter. Until I read that, I didn't know it had one. Does it matter much?

Certain parts of the media have really got it in for Dominic Cummings, most likely over his role in the EU referendum and his desire to seriously shake up the way government works. I say good luck to the guy.
    Dominic Cummings is a legitimate political story. He is said by some to be running the government, and ousting inconvenient Chancellors against the Prime Minister's wishes. Has "the media" got it in for him? Compare and contrast with Caroline Flack.

PJ Masks are on their way
    Into the night to save the day!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBX7DV1JyDc
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    rcs1000 said:

Gabs3 said:

I disagree. Corbyn was the highly conservative option. Not only did he want to take the country back to the 1950s, he did more in five years to increase the Conservative vote than six Conservative leaders since 1997.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

More likely it’s because they’ve met him.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Would have been early ‘90s. I lived close by, and a family friend who worked there gave me a tour one evening as a excitable young teenager.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    edited February 2020
    Good morning. Still windy but at least, for the moment, dry.

O/t but Guardian has a bizarre item
    'Woman's ring lost 47 years ago in US is unearthed in a forest in Finland
    Debra McKenna, who misplaced the ring in Maine in 1973, received it in the post after it was dug up by a metal detectorist'
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Dominic Cummings is a legitimate political story. He is said by some to be running the government, and ousting inconvenient Chancellors against the Prime Minister's wishes. Has "the media" got it in for him? Compare and contrast with Caroline Flack.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBX7DV1JyDc
    On the contrary, I think that he’s doing exactly what the PM wants him to do, but they can’t go for Johnson because he’s popular with the public and was elected on a platform to shake things up.

Yes, the coverage of the TV presenter who took her own life is also way over the top.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited February 2020
    rcs1000 said:

He should go with Klob, "Wall St" Pete seems to rile the left which could put off his own supporters. Haven't heard much negative about Klob tbh
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Although people like Peter Hitchens, who's no fan of the EU, have also put their knives in.

• Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Seems a done deal for Starmer. I do wonder if they'd be better with Nandy. But neither will be as bad as Corbyn.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

He should go with Klob, "Wall St" Pete seems to rile the left which could put off his own supporters. Haven't heard much negative about Klob tbh
    Don’t you mean KLOBUCHAR?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

On the contrary, I think that he’s doing exactly what the PM wants him to do, but they can’t go for Johnson because he’s popular with the public and was elected on a platform to shake things up.

Yes, the coverage of the TV presenter who took her own life is also way over the top.
    Boris was not elected on a platform to shake up the Civil Service. At least, I can't see it in the manifesto and Boris spent the entire campaign saying nothing and ducking interviews.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Although people like Peter Hitchens, who's no fan of the EU, have also put their knives in.

Has he ever sheathed his knife for anybody?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    I won’t go into details but after my dose of CitraFleet I've just had the most explosive night in my lifetime, an experience I have no desire to repeat in the near future although just waiting on second dose to go through.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm certainly keeping her onside all the way.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Boris was not elected on a platform to shake up the Civil Service. At least, I can't see it in the manifesto and Boris spent the entire campaign saying nothing and ducking interviews.
    Those who think Cummings pulls all the strings need to explain why No.10 quashed his ideas of shaking up the civil service and cancelling HS2.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280

Good morning, everyone.

Seems a done deal for Starmer. I do wonder if they'd be better with Nandy. But neither will be as bad as Corbyn.

That’s really the point. Starmer strikes me as dull and unimaginative but he is intelligent and capable of developing a coherent argument. It’s a massive step forward from where Labour has been since 2015.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It's at least understandable, particularly given questions already hanging over Love Island.

Philip Schofield coverage was truly over the top.

I'm surprised he wasn't recommended for the Victoria Cross.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I won’t go into details but after my dose of CitraFleet I've just had the most explosive night in my lifetime, an experience I have no desire to repeat in the near future although just waiting on second dose to go through.

There's your mistake. If you don't want a repeat in the near future then you should not have taken the second dose. Good luck.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Has he ever sheathed his knife for anybody?
    @isam ?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I won’t go into details

I think you just did.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

That’s really the point. Starmer strikes me as dull and unimaginative but he is intelligent and capable of developing a coherent argument. It’s a massive step forward from where Labour has been since 2015.
    I thought he would be really boring before I went to see him talk in Newcastle and he was actually pretty warm and charismatic...

Perhaps he’s better in person.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Starmer is so far ahead he should go full Trump and talk about how he could shoot someone and not lose support.

The rest of the contest is to establish what shadow cabinet positions the other two get, or if RLB wants such a position.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

On the contrary, I think that he’s doing exactly what the PM wants him to do, but they can’t go for Johnson because he’s popular with the public and was elected on a platform to shake things up. ...
    How is any of that an argument against his being a legitimate political story, and meriting close scrutiny ?
    And your opinion is no evidence for who it is that might be driving policy, which remains an open question.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

I thought he would be really boring before I went to see him talk in Newcastle and he was actually pretty warm and charismatic...

Maybe but I know a dull lawyer when I see one. On the plus side he is going to have several years to learn the job, refine the team and develop his pitch. Given where Labour is starting from he may need all the time he can get.

I wish him well. We need an opposition that offers a viable choice. Governments without one become self indulgent and more foolish than usual.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It's at least understandable, particularly given questions already hanging over Love Island.

Philip Schofield coverage was truly over the top.

I'm surprised he wasn't recommended for the Victoria Cross.
    Yes, I understand that that TV show has a history of mental illness among those involved with it - although it’s not usually presenters who suffer in these ‘reality’ shows.

The most surprising thing most of us found out about Philip Schofield, is that he was married to a woman!
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

There's your mistake. If you don't want a repeat in the near future then you should not have taken the second dose. Good luck.
    No choice colonoscopy at 15:00 just following instructions!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Would have been early ‘90s. I lived close by, and a family friend who worked there gave me a tour one evening as a excitable young teenager.
    OK so I am probably correct that they have an IBM HPC power setup nowadays.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

Maybe but I know a dull lawyer when I see one. On the plus side he is going to have several years to learn the job, refine the team and develop his pitch. Given where Labour is starting from he may need all the time he can get.

I wish him well. We need an opposition that offers a viable choice. Governments without one become self indulgent and more foolish than usual.
    Lisa Nandy is clearly the best candidate.

But, it seems, she’ll come a distant third.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Gabs3 said:

I don’t believe you are allowed to top up in the NHS.

If you choose to supplement your healthcare the NHS can kick you out (ie it’s our way or the highway)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    nichomar said:

Good luck with the op
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

Lisa Nandy is clearly the best candidate.

But, it seems, she’ll come a distant third.
    Labour don’t just need a competent leader, they need a competent team. I am sure Nandy will be an important part of that giving her a chance to knock off the rough edges too. RLB, not so much.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Just checked and it looks like they put new Cray machine in in 2016, assume that replaced the IBM machine.
    Strange they are already talking about replacement.
    https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/what/technology/supercomputer
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Just checked and it looks like they put new Cray machine in in 2016, assume that replaced the IBM machine.
    Complete waste of money. Use the methods employed by the Allies just before D Day, weather forecast perfect!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Verbatim of @BernieSanders going after Bloomberg in Las Vegas just now pic.twitter.com/6qsxpONT5u

— Dave Weigel (@daveweigel) February 16, 2020
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    edited February 2020
    Labour leadership ballots start going out on 24th February.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Yes that is odd. Have things really moved forward that much in the last 4 years?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Ah. Good luck with it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Yes that is odd. Have things really moved forward that much in the last 4 years?
    Probably yes, but that's what makes it absurd IMO to pay a billion pounds for a supercomputer today. A billion pound supercomputer will surely be only worth a tiny, tiny fraction of that before long.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

After five years of constant conflict and confrontation under Cummings/Johnson dull and competent may be looking very appealing. What Nandy or Starmer will do is ensure that Labour provides a strong opposition. We have not had one for a long time and it will come at a time when almost all the talent that exists on the Tory side will be on the backbenches.

• Options
    Morning all and I beg to differ with Mike's premis. I think from speaking to many of them that a great many Labour members want them to adhere to the 1970s "real Labour" principles and policies" and winning is not the priority. That is why Corbyn had such a fanatical following.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

After five years of constant conflict and confrontation under Cummings/Johnson dull and competent may be looking very appealing. What Nandy or Starmer will do is ensure that Labour provides a strong opposition. We have not had one for a long time and it will come at a time when almost all the talent that exists on the Tory side will be on the backbenches.

Which talent are you thinking of on the Tory side which will be on the backbenches? Fox? Davis? Leadsom? Fallon? Green? Grayling?

This cabinet has a refreshing amount of fresh talent rather than sticking with duds of the past.
  • Options

Morning all and I beg to differ with Mike's premis. I think from speaking to many of them that a great many Labour members want them to adhere to the 1970s "real Labour" principles and policies" and winning is not the priority. That is why Corbyn had such a fanatical following.

Starmer is not really promising a vast difference in policy from Corbyn anyway other than being a bit more pro single market and anti anti Semitism, Starmer is certainly no Blairite
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

Which talent are you thinking of on the Tory side which will be on the backbenches? Fox? Davis? Leadsom? Fallon? Green? Grayling?

This cabinet has a refreshing amount of fresh talent rather than sticking with duds of the past.

There is not much talent there, I agree. Cox and Javid are the obvious ones, I guess. The Cabinet will do exactly as it is told.

• Options
    Gabs3 said:
    Sanders opposed the Iraq War just like Corbyn
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Nandy would be better to appeal to Leavers but most of them will stick with Boris anyway, Starmer is better to appeal to Tory and LD Remainers, Long Bailey to appeal to neither
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Gabs3 said:
    I opposed the Iraq War too, because it was clearly a very stupid idea. That does not make me a Corbynista.
  • Options

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Probably yes, but that's what makes it absurd IMO to pay a billion pounds for a supercomputer today. A billion pound supercomputer will surely be only worth a tiny, tiny fraction of that before long.
    Looking at the BBC report it looks like a Gordon Brown billion running up 10 years expenditure into one figure.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

Like who?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Gabs3 said:
    I opposed the Iraq War too, because it was clearly a very stupid idea. That does not make me a Corbynista.
    The second one. The first was fair enough.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    It occurred to me that unless the budget is delayed Jezza gets to respond.

His last hurrah.

Why we need over a month to cast our votes is beyond me.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Gabs3 said:
    Sanders also spent his honeymoon in the Soviet Union
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

Like who?
    Compared to those names the PJ Masks are an improvement.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Gabs3 said:
    I was six at the time of the first one. I get a free pass. But I tend to think of that as the ‘Gulf War’ not the ‘First Iraq War.’
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

There is not much talent there, I agree. Cox and Javid are the obvious ones, I guess. The Cabinet will do exactly as it is told.

Hunt and Hinds. Stewart before he bailed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Gabs3 said:
    Sanders also spent his honeymoon in the Soviet Union
    So? That wasn’t the question.
  • Options

It occurred to me that unless the budget is delayed Jezza gets to respond.

His last hurrah.

Why we need over a month to cast our votes is beyond me.

Because in the glorious People’s Socialist Republic of North Islington, they may need a month to find a pencil buried under the mass of luxury goods?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

That’s always the defence for poor leaders - they’re great in small numbers/private. It was rolled out for John Major and Theresa May. Perhaps this time it’s different?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    HYUFD said:

Starmer is not really promising a vast difference in policy from Corbyn anyway other than being a bit more pro single market and anti anti Semitism, Starmer is certainly no Blairite
    I agree with HYUFD on this. Most Labour members don't want an election-winning cipher with no particular policies - we could spend 5 years slogging away to get them in and then find it made no difference at all. But we'd also like to win for a change. So the sweet spot is a candidate who would be a plausible PM but nonetheless is broadly signed up for leftish reform. Starmer is vaguer than I'd like but he is IMO in the right area for most members. They don't feel RLB is very easy to imagine in Number 10 (too preoccupied with fringe issues), and Lisa Nandy is interesting but seems slow to come up with distinctive policies or an election-winning formula.
  • Options
    Starmer is currently relatively positively received by voters because they don't understand what an ardent lefty he actually is.

He's the definition of a hypocrite champagne socialist.
  • Options
    Banterman said:

Starmer is currently relatively positively received by voters because they don't understand what an ardent lefty he actually is.

Are you suggesting his father made a tool?

Ah, my coat...

Have a good morning.
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Ah. Good luck with it.
    +1 - sounds as though you're getting immediate attention, hope you're on the mend soon.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Moore’s Law would suggest that computers are now four times as powerful as they were four years ago.

You are probably reading this on a computer more powerful than the eighties vintage Cray supercomputers.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I agree with HYUFD on this. Most Labour members don't want an election-winning cipher with no particular policies - we could spend 5 years slogging away to get them in and then find it made no difference at all. But we'd also like to win for a change. So the sweet spot is a candidate who would be a plausible PM but nonetheless is broadly signed up for leftish reform. Starmer is vaguer than I'd like but he is IMO in the right area for most members. They don't feel RLB is very easy to imagine in Number 10 (too preoccupied with fringe issues), and Lisa Nandy is interesting but seems slow to come up with distinctive policies or an election-winning formula.

I agree. Starmer is to the left of me, for sure, but I believe he’s pragmatic and will have people who do think like me in prominent positions on his front bench team. He’ll provide strong opposition and, crucially, will tackle anti-Semitism head on and without any prevarication. I will vote Nandy 1, because I like the fact she has thought a lot about the key issues, but Starmer will be my strong 2.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Yes, Starmer is more Blairite in style but Ed Miliband in policy
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Good morning, everyone.

I will be utterly gobsmacked if Cummings is still there in 4 years time.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    I don't think I've seen anything from Starmer to demonstrate that he understands why we lost in the North. It wasn't just because of Jezza.

Someone who can double Labour majorities in London and other big city seats is not what we need.

For years I was saying that Starmer was the right choice. Now I am not sure he will take us in the right direction.

Nandy gets it. She should get the job. But she won't.
  • Options
    Charles said:

If you choose to supplement your healthcare the NHS can kick you out (ie it’s our way or the highway)

Foxy can advise better, but my understanding is that you can supplement if you're getting treatment for a different condition. What they don't like is if you flip-flop between NHS and private for the same treatment, potentially creating confusion.

I think you can still pay extra for a private room, too, perhaps other kinds of non-medical upgrades? I've fortunately never been seriously ill yet so I don't actually know.
  • Options
    Banterman said:

It is Remainers where Starmer polls best, Leavers are not fans
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited February 2020
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Gabs3 said:
    I was six at the time of the first one. I get a free pass. But I tend to think of that as the ‘Gulf War’ not the ‘First Iraq War.’
    Now you’ve made me feel old...

The War between Iran and Iraq was called the Gulf War at the time I think.

• Options

HYUFD said:

I agree. Starmer is to the left of me, for sure, but I believe he’s pragmatic and will have people who do think like me in prominent positions on his front bench team. He’ll provide strong opposition and, crucially, will tackle anti-Semitism head on and without any prevarication. I will vote Nandy 1, because I like the fact she has thought a lot about the key issues, but Starmer will be my strong 2.

Considering there's three candidates and who number three is, that seems entirely rational to me.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349

Charles said:

Foxy can advise better, but my understanding is that you can supplement if you're getting treatment for a different condition. What they don't like is if you flip-flop between NHS and private for the same treatment, potentially creating confusion.

I think you can still pay extra for a private room, too, perhaps other kinds of non-medical upgrades? I've fortunately never been seriously ill yet so I don't actually know.
    but of course you would if you were ill....
  • Options

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Moore’s Law would suggest that computers are now four times as powerful as they were four years ago.

You are probably reading this on a computer more powerful than the eighties vintage Cray supercomputers.
    I thought that we were getting to the limits of that. The £1bn figure includes a major upgrade in another 5 years. And my laptop is ancient. Over 5 years old.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    HYUFD said:

Banterman said:

But there is a large number of Cons Remainers, the two of us for example, who remain very much put off by his leftist policies.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Banterman said:

You may not be, I am.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Gabs3 said:
    Now you’ve made me feel old...

The War between Iran and Iraq was called the Gulf War at the time I think.

I remember it being called the Iran/Iraq war where our glorious ally, Saddam Hussain, held back the forces of evil with some of our technology and a lot of blood.
This discussion has been closed.