Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On PB’s 16th birthday the UK is on the verge of a lockdown?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited March 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On PB’s 16th birthday the UK is on the verge of a lockdown?

The pages from this morning’s papers could not be clearer about out what’s likely to happen next as the government tries to dampen the impact of the coronavirus epidemic. To confine large numbers of people in the homes is a big step but it might be the only way that it can be controlled at this stage.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited March 2020
    First like Hampshire, and happy birthday PB!
  • Options
    Happy Birthday PB and thank you Mike; Robert; all those who post above the line; and (almost) all those who post below the line. PB remains the go to site for intelligent discussion.
  • Options
    Six doctors dead from covid-19 here in Indonesia.
    https://jakartaglobe.id/news/six-indonesian-doctors-die-from-covid19-cases-exceed-500

Officially only 48 deaths, believe that if you like, as Italy has only suffered 19 deaths of doctors among far higher stats.

Lots of stupidity, a mob pulled down a public health covid-19 banner from a mosque shouting 'allahu akbar', and others saying 'I'd rather die from covid-19 than from Allah's wrath'. Local politicians saying 'don't you know who I am? I can't be tested, I'm an official'.

Political parties gathering in big groups, some not wearing masks, to hand out masks (usually at election time they hand out food, rice, and often cash).

Local health secretaries saying 'don't worry, the patient didn't have a temperature of 40C+, so can't have Covid-19'. National police have banned large groups but everything is devolved here, and law enforcement optional on a regional area (in practice if not theory)
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,375
    ydoethur said:

Happy birthday PB,
    HAppy birthday PB,
    Happy Birthday to thee-ee;
    Happy birthday PB!

(Sung twice, while using hot soapy water followed by thorough drying with a paper towel and then a dermatological cream.)

You have cream? I ordered some of that Norweigan stuff recommended on pb but when I went to pick it up from an Amazon locker yesterday, the door mechanism malfunctioned so my hands continue to crack.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,659
    Happy Birthday PB!

I'm sure no PBer would be so selfish or shortsighted:

https://twitter.com/DCMS/status/1241844873482960898?s=20
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    For

IanB2 said:

kamski said:

It's not really any mystery why the German death rate is relatively low. They've done a lot of testing. Several other countries have similar numbers - Austria, Norway, Australia etc. South Korea had a very low mortality rate when they started testing lots of people, it's now crept up to over 1% as deaths start to catch up.

Conversely, the US death rate started high, but has come down to 1.3% as they have started to test a lot more.

I'm a bit surprised at the claims of German "cheating" here and in real life, which seem to be based on absolutely nothing except total ignorance of the German health system and an unwillingness to entertain the possibility that the Germans might have tested a higher proportion of infected people than the British have. It seems to be a specifically anti German prejudice, the same things are not said about Norway or Australia.

The mysteries of how the Germans always manage to win always winds up the British, you should know that ;]
    The odd thing is no-one (for some values of no-one) in power seems to wonder what Germany does right and we do wrong. It has won more World Cups than us, has more prosperous industries and lower crime rates.
    Sometimes it’s not quite as simple as looking at what some countries do right and some do wrong. Every country is different and often what appear to be be successful approaches in one are simply not replicable (either theoretically or practically) in another. Whether for reasons of demography, geography or, bluntly, history. The U.K. is often a prisoner of its history in many ways that other countries are not. It is not a coincidence that many of the successful countries of the modern day were the ones who’s societies were so destroyed by the wars of the 20th century. Many countries had a blank slate and a strong motivation and indeed, obligation, to pursue a new course that the U.K. never had.

We have a national infrastructure which dates back to the world wars, the Industrial revolution, the civil war, Magna Carta, even 1066. With every layer built upon another, and rarely a point to be able to start again with a blank state.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,891

https://jakartaglobe.id/news/six-indonesian-doctors-die-from-covid19-cases-exceed-500

Officially only 48 deaths, believe that if you like, as Italy has only suffered 19 deaths of doctors among far higher stats.

To all people who still hold on the the idea, Covid-19 is no more important than seasonal flu....

Italy has "only" suffered 19 deaths of doctors.

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349
    Happy birthday PB. Beautiful day again. I think.lockdown will be here within 72 hrs
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Lots of stupidity, a mob pulled down a public health covid-19 banner from a mosque shouting 'allahu akbar', and others saying 'I'd rather die from covid-19 than from Allah's wrath'. Local politicians saying 'don't you know who I am? I can't be tested, I'm an official'.

Political parties gathering in big groups, some not wearing masks, to hand out masks (usually at election time they hand out food, rice, and often cash).

Local health secretaries saying 'don't worry, the patient didn't have a temperature of 40C+, so can't have Covid-19'. National police have banned large groups but everything is devolved here, and law enforcement optional on a regional area (in practice if not theory)

Welcome to PB!

Central Government has been slow, but no worse than many others - many local governments are criminally culpable. Left Jakarta 5 days ago & no way back now.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/03/22/covid-19-inadequate-medical-supplies-take-toll-on-lives-of-indonesian-medical-workers.html
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    ydoethur said:

Happy birthday PB,
    HAppy birthday PB,
    Happy birthday PB!

(Sung twice, while using hot soapy water followed by thorough drying with a paper towel and then a dermatological cream.)

I hope everyone is up with the revised tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6kj-Ixpil4
  • Options

Happy Birthday PB!

A lot of people will surely have gone to their second homes in order to self-isolate. Most of us will be too skint even to have second homes, and there are reasons owning second homes is selfish, but surely in this case, intentions were good.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Happy Birthday PB!
  • Options

Happy Birthday PB!

A lot of people will surely have gone to their second homes in order to self-isolate. Most of us will be too skint even to have second homes, and there are reasons owning second homes is selfish, but surely in this case, intentions were good.
    I know people who have. It certainly makes no sense to send them back (Eadric excepted, obvs).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Happy birthday PB,
    HAppy birthday PB,
    Happy birthday PB!

Viel Glück und viel Segen
    Auf all deinen Wegen
    Gesundheit und Frohsinn
    Sei auch mit dabei
  • Options
    The government is taking emergency measures to support and sustain necessary rail services as operators face significant drops in their income.

The Department for Transport will temporarily suspend normal franchise agreements and transfer all revenue and cost risk to the government for a limited period, initially 6 months. Operators will continue to run services day-to-day for a small predetermined management fee. Terms and conditions of employment for rail workers will not change.

This will allow us to ensure that trains necessary for key workers and essential travel continue to operate. No other passengers should travel. As we have already announced, services will be reduced from today (23 March 2020).

Anyone holding an advance ticket will be able to refund it free of charge. All season ticket holders can claim a refund for time unused on their tickets free of administrative charges. Ticket holders should contact their operator for details.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-ensures-ticket-refunds-and-protects-services-for-passengers-with-rail-emergency-measures
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    Happy Birthday Pb. Good morning to all the larks and those from further East. Let us hope that things are more cheerful when birthday 17 comes round.

Ms Vance, we had to advise a relation...... wife's relation...... that the Welsh County Council where they have such a home were asking holiday home owners NOT to come. Relation & spouse were planning to go and self-isolate in it.

We shall find out tonight what they've done.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    I think the lock down will have to come - if not the whole country certainly in the hotspots but however it's done I'd stress the importance of restricting car travel drastically to prevent movement ot second homes, etc. One easy way to police this is to have a one person per car rule - we have this now in Spain and the authorities made a big effort to close down the main transport routes to private vehicles. It'd the only way to prevent the virus spreading. I was impressed to see Sanchez asking for an EU 'Marshall Plan' to enable resource pooling in the Union. Italy has been pretty much abandoned by the rest of Europe. While I understand this I cannot think it is right.
  • Options
    Two of those pictures are using well know photo tricks to make the people seem much closer to each other than they really are. I'm not saying the situation is ideal, but in the Mirror Photo, I doubt that there are many people there, who are within 2 metres of of someone with whom they do not live.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Happy Birthday Pb. Good morning to all the larks and those from further East. Let us hope that things are more cheerful when birthday 17 comes round.

Ms Vance, we had to advise a relation...... wife's relation...... that the Welsh County Council where they have such a home were asking holiday home owners NOT to come. Relation & spouse were planning to go and self-isolate in it.

Hopefully they'll see sense. Oh and 'Felicidades a PB' :)
  • Options

Happy Birthday PB!

No, intentions were selfish.

If they fall ill the local, rural health services will have to take up the load.

If you were an IC doctor with one bed and two ill patients, one with a local GP, the other with a London GP, everything else being equal, who gets the bed?

Not only selfish, these people may have put their families at risk.
  • Options

The government is taking emergency measures to support and sustain necessary rail services as operators face significant drops in their income.

The Department for Transport will temporarily suspend normal franchise agreements and transfer all revenue and cost risk to the government for a limited period, initially 6 months. Operators will continue to run services day-to-day for a small predetermined management fee. Terms and conditions of employment for rail workers will not change.

This will allow us to ensure that trains necessary for key workers and essential travel continue to operate. No other passengers should travel. As we have already announced, services will be reduced from today (23 March 2020).

Anyone holding an advance ticket will be able to refund it free of charge. All season ticket holders can claim a refund for time unused on their tickets free of administrative charges. Ticket holders should contact their operator for details.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-ensures-ticket-refunds-and-protects-services-for-passengers-with-rail-emergency-measures

BiB - That will be an interesting calculation. I don't know the precise discount rates on weekly, monthly and annual season tickets, but for the latter you get something like the last six weeks free.

I'm in the last two months of my annual season ticket. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm told that I'm not entitled to a refund.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Happy Birthday PB!

I know people who have. It certainly makes no sense to send them back (Eadric excepted, obvs).
    The CMO for Scotland was on TV yesterday pointing out that medical etc facilities were calculated on the basis of resident population. There might be some small allowance for 'temporary residents' but an influx of second homers, caravaners and so on could easily stretch things too far. Especially as such people tend to be older.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

Happy Birthday PB!

No, intentions were selfish.

If they fall ill the local, rural health services will have to take up the load.

If you were an IC doctor with one bed and two ill patients, one with a local GP, the other with a London GP, everything else being equal, who gets the bed?

Not only selfish, these people may have put their families at risk.
    The problem is people don't see the complete picture so things like that need to be pointed out.
  • Options
    felix said:

Hopefully they'll see sense. Oh and 'Felicidades a PB' :)
    Indeed, and as my wife pointed out, they'd be a long way from family support.
  • Options

Happy Birthday PB!

Trouble with that approach is everyone thinks they are exceptions. Down that road lies madness.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Happy birthday PB,
    HAppy birthday PB,
    Happy birthday PB!

It is amusing enough and true: the song is hard to sing and the emphasis is in all the wrong places; probably because the words came after the tune. However, there are other questions I vaguely recall from a decades' old psychology degree, such as how do groups of untrained singers settle on a key, and do they?

What did Britons sing on birthdays before Happy Birthday to You? Can the pb historians enlighten us?
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Two of those pictures are using well know photo tricks to make the people seem much closer to each other than they really are. I'm not saying the situation is ideal, but in the Mirror Photo, I doubt that there are many people there, who are within 2 metres of of someone with whom they do not live.

You're surely not hinting that the media are devious b******s trying to s**t stir I hope. As if.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited March 2020
    Congratulations to Mike, Robert and all of the thread leader writers who help make this site one of the best, no scrub that: THE best, forum on the internet.

xx
  • Options

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Happy birthday PB,
    HAppy birthday PB,
    Happy birthday PB!

It is amusing enough and true: the song is hard to sing and the emphasis is in all the wrong places; probably because the words came after the tune. However, there are other questions I vaguely recall from a decades' old psychology degree, such as how do groups of untrained singers settle on a key, and do they?

What did Britons sing on birthdays before Happy Birthday to You? Can the pb historians enlighten us?
    On holiday one year we were next to an Anglo-Swedish couple; on their child's birthday they sang it English, but to a different tune.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    eristdoof said:

The 2 metre rule seems to based upon the virus particles falling within 1 meter of the shedder. Surely they must be capable of travelling further in the presence of a breeze?
  • Options
    felix said:

Happy Birthday PB!

Trouble with that approach is everyone thinks they are exceptions. Down that road lies madness.
    I think one problem is that official (or quasi-official) guidance is shifting constantly as the egg-heads get more evidence from day to day. Don't go out but don't stockpile so you need to go shopping more often. Visit and help elderly neighbours but without actually visiting them or going out. Visit national parks to escape crowded cities, but don't. We saw last week even the Prime Minister got it wrong and right in the same sentence. I am not sure we should be quick to condemn.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    ydoethur said:

Happy birthday PB,
    HAppy birthday PB,
    Happy birthday PB!

Is there some arcane significance to the capitalised A in the second line ? :smile:

Congratulations and felicitations to Mike (and Robert) for reaching another milestone with this excellent site.
  • Options

felix said:

Happy Birthday PB!

I think one problem is that official (or quasi-official) guidance is shifting constantly as the egg-heads get more evidence from day to day. Don't go out but don't stockpile so you need to go shopping more often. Visit and help elderly neighbours but without actually visiting them or going out. Visit national parks to escape crowded cities, but don't. We saw last week even the Prime Minister got it wrong and right in the same sentence. I am not sure we should be quick to condemn.
    ' even the Prime Minister got it wrong and right in the same sentence.'

Why was that a surprise? Given the evident disconnect between his brain and his voice-box?
  • Options

Welcome to PB!

Central Government has been slow, but no worse than many others - many local governments are criminally culpable. Left Jakarta 5 days ago & no way back now.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/03/22/covid-19-inadequate-medical-supplies-take-toll-on-lives-of-indonesian-medical-workers.html

Glad you left (assuming you are in the UK now).

Even just a few days ago there were young people saying they were better off here than in the UK and they were going to chill in a hostel doing yoga or whatever it is these people do.

The reality:

A german friend of mine got stuck in Tulung Agung hospital. She has not fb

So she came around 1,5 weeks ago to Indonesia after Thailand and went around with an indonesian friend and got a cold in Tulung Agung some days ago in the village of this friend. Now all the people are mad on them because they say they spread the virus as there are a lot of old people. She went for testing in the hospital, she was escorted by police men, and they wanted to give her an injection for no real reason in the beginning she refused, then they did a test that will take 1-2 weeks they say and they x-rayed her and found a little lung infection. But then they put her in isolation room with someone really ill coughing really badly and stuff and she was afraid she will probably get the virus in the hospital. Obviously there are not enough facilities in this hospital.

And also her friend dont want to help her anymore, since the whole village is angry now on him and he is also afraid to get ill. Also she is living hippie style so she has actually no money left to travel and tries to get money from her family and friends in Germany and the health insurance. The hygienic conditions, and her complains may not make it better and she is also freezing because she got no plankets in the AC room. I try to help her somehow from here but i am not sure its good she stays longer in the hospital, she wants to go back to Germany as soon as possible, but she needs to be in quarantine too first i guess - besides she is actually not seriously ill right now but they give her pills without letting her know what it is.
    There are a LOT of such people floating around SE Asia living on minimal funds. All well and good till things go wrong and don't speak the language and no money no treatment is normal.

I have seen people complaining that the police had told them to leave an island, days from civilization and wondering if this was legal (who cares), and whether their embassy could help (no).

Bali is a disaster zone in that there is NO testing facility (sent to Jakarta) There was a Brit who died 2 weeks ago and the local government said 'don't worry she had underlying health conditions', as if somehow a woman w/4 kids would fly off to Bali in serious condition. Since then a French man was found dead on top of a motorbike. The locals filmed this and uploaded it to social media (photographing dead is not taboo) but nobody wanted to get close. DAYS later it turned out he was positive for covid-19. It is probably unlikely that he died from it BUT he had been in the provincial hospital (for reasons unspecified) where all the Covid-19 patients/suspects were sent and had caught it there.

Official (ludicrous) Bali figures are 3 cases/2 deaths.
  • Options

felix said:

Happy Birthday PB!

I'm sorry, but the people in Richmond Park are exactly the sort of people who ought to be able to think for themselves.

Is it not obvious that there is a distinction between going outside for some fresh air and exercise on your own, trying not to get too close to people, and going for afternoon out in Richmond Park?
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

eristdoof said:

The 2 metre rule seems to based upon the virus particles falling within 1 meter of the shedder. Surely they must be capable of travelling further in the presence of a breeze?
    I guess you are right, but the chances of being "hit" by a floating virus wafting on the breeze when you are 3 m away from a positive, and that this virus then takes hold inside your body must be very low.
  • Options

felix said:

Happy Birthday PB!

I think that the Government and their advisers know how difficult a lockdown will be to enforce and maintain - we're just on week 2 now and it's already been extended a further 15 days after that. Hence the gradualist approach. Truth is of course there are no easy or right answers - and way too many self-appointed experts in the media - always seeking to exploit and disrupt. We see it every day on Twitter and among the hacks at the pressers.
  • Options
    The thing is about all these talk of “lockdowns” is that none of them (with the exception perhaps of Wuhan) are actually what they claim to be. They all have significant exceptions/loopholes covering vast areas of potential transmission activity. Be it people going to work who can’t work from home, children of key workers going to school, people shopping in crowded supermarkets for “essential” supplies etc etc

In that context one it is reasonable to ask whether the transmission effects of people going to parks (usually in family groups which they would have been in anyway) is actually likely to have any material effect (positive or negative) on the progress of the virus. In which case, what’s the point, except to give the appearance of decisiveness shortly to be followed by a perception that the Govt is impotent in the face of the threat as numbers continue to rise amongst the “excepted” individuals?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Happy birthday PB,
    HAppy birthday PB,
    Happy birthday PB!

ALmost all countries have their own version with the Happy birthday tune. The german translated version is very clunky to get it to scan/rhyme "To the birthday, much happines". So many people sing "Happi bersday to yoo".

Thankfully there are quite a few birthday songs in Germany including the one I posted before
  • Options
    Happy Birthday ON!

On topic (for the last thread) I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the DNC ditch Biden. Let's be somewhere - he isn't picking up all these delegates because people want him. It's because he isn't Sanders and they don't want Trump. Even Biden knows they don't care about him hence the "I am a stepping stone" position.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. The DNC is conniving enough to simply bin the whole primary process (we can't complete it due to the national e,urgency, not fair, let's have a brokered conventiom) and select someone who isn't either of the dodderers to defeat Trump.
  • Options

From Facebook (so can't vouch for its veracity) but intuitively makes sense:

“Why do we need to shut places where people group?

Remember this: VIRAL LOAD

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30232-2/fulltext

"The mean viral load of severe cases was around 60 times higher than that of mild cases, suggesting that higher viral loads might be associated with severe clinical outcomes."
  • Options
    First step toward rail nationalisation just announced
  • Options

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30232-2/fulltext

"The mean viral load of severe cases was around 60 times higher than that of mild cases, suggesting that higher viral loads might be associated with severe clinical outcomes."
    Unfortunately this is why so many doctors and nurses have died in Italy
  • Options
    alex_ said:

The thing is about all these talk of “lockdowns” is that none of them (with the exception perhaps of Wuhan) are actually what they claim to be. They all have significant exceptions/loopholes covering vast areas of potential transmission activity. Be it people going to work who can’t work from home, children of key workers going to school, people shopping in crowded supermarkets for “essential” supplies etc etc

In that context one it is reasonable to ask whether the transmission effects of people going to parks (usually in family groups which they would have been in anyway) is actually likely to have any material effect (positive or negative) on the progress of the virus. In which case, what’s the point, except to give the appearance of decisiveness shortly to be followed by a perception that the Govt is impotent in the face of the threat as numbers continue to rise amongst the “excepted” individuals?

1. Read Carlotta's post about viral load.
    2. The goal of the lockdown is to slow the virus spread down and prevent the health services from being overwhelmed.

The answer to your question is yes - very negative material effects with more people dying who might otherwise live.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

felix said:

Happy Birthday PB!

I'm sorry, but the people in Richmond Park are exactly the sort of people who ought to be able to think for themselves.

Is it not obvious that there is a distinction between going outside for some fresh air and exercise on your own, trying not to get too close to people, and going for afternoon out in Richmond Park?
    It crucially depends how many other people have the same idea at the same time. Remember it is just days since national parks were urging people to visit them for this reason, until too many visitors turned up.
  • Options

There will be a lot about this. Why is it important? With this virus, the amount of virus in your blood at first infection directly relates to the severity of the illness you will suffer. This isn’t unusual - HIV management is all about reducing viral load to keep people alive longer. BUT it’s very important in COVID-19.

So if you are in, say, a pub or religious building or entertainment venue with 200 people and a large number don’t have symptoms but are shedding, you are breathing in lots of droplets per minute and absorbing a high load of the virus. In a crowded space. They become ill over the next 48 hours. You then three days later wonder why you can’t breathe and end up in hospital. You’d decided because you were young and healthy it wasn’t going to be a problem. Wrong.

Fortunately but unfortunately because the elderly are isolating quite well, the initial UK data suggests that all age groups above 20 are almost equally represented in ITUs in England. Most of the cases are in London but the wave is moving outwards. This means that being under 60 and fit and well doesn’t seem to be as protective as we thought. Why? Viral load.

This may be skewed simply by the fact that too many Londoners didn’t do as asked and congregated in large groups in confined spaces and got a large initial viral load. They then went home and infected their wider families. Which is why, as London is overwhelmed, we need to shut everything down to save the rest of the UK. We are a week at most behind London.

Our sympathies go out to the families affected in London and the critical care teams battling right now to save as many as they can.

If I sit with one person and catch this virus, I get a small viral load. My immune system will start to fight it and by the time the virus starts replicating, I’m ready to kill it.

No medicines will help this process meaningfully hence there is no “cure” for this virus. All we can do is support you with a ventilator and hope your immune system can catch up fast enough.

If I sit in the same room with six people, all shedding I get six times the initial dose. The rise in viral load is faster than my immune system can cope with and it is overrun. I then become critically ill and need me (or an ITU/HDU specialist) to fix it instead of just being at home and being ok in the end.

REMEMBER: THINK ABOUT VIRAL LOAD

Precisely. Not enough is made of this point. For personal health it’s not about whether you get it but how you get it. This is why doctors and nurses in hospitals are at so much risk.

If you are generally self isolating, but catch it in some chance encounter, it is unlikely to be particularly dangerous to you, and, as you are generally self isolating, there is unlikely to be significant risk of onward transmission.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    Happy birthday PB.

I have not found anywhere with such an interesting range of voices, genuine expertise and such a good sense of humour. I especially value the last element in these times.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

felix said:

Happy Birthday PB!

It crucially depends how many other people have the same idea at the same time. Remember it is just days since national parks were urging people to visit them for this reason, until too many visitors turned up.
    Were our national parks urging people to visit? I can find links to US parks doing that, but I can't see where UK national parks were doing the same.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Happy Birthday PB!

way too many self-appointed experts in the media - always seeking to exploit and disrupt. We see it every day on Twitter and among the hacks at the pressers.
    They're not 'seeking to exploit and disrupt' at all (with the possible exception of Peter Hitchens as that's his trope). They are seeking rigorous answers to tough questions. They're doing their job and thank god for them. As we now know, if Imperial College scientists hadn't dropped a stone in the Government's alleged complacency, which was then picked up by Sky News and The Guardian (erroneously called 'disgraceful' by someone on here) we would be in an even more parlous state than we currently find ourselves.

Bravo to our free press.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/terrifying-data-behind-government-coronavirus-lockdown/

• Options
    IanB2 said:

There's so much I'd like to say...but I can't. :)
  • Options
    p.s. Saturday's Telegraph was a great read for some of what went on behind the scenes over the past month. As is Alex Wickham's briliant piece '10-days that Changed Britain.'

I'll repeat: thank god for our journalists.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/10-days-that-changed-britains-coronavirus-approach
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250
    alex_ said:

For

IanB2 said:

kamski said:

It's not really any mystery why the German death rate is relatively low. They've done a lot of testing. Several other countries have similar numbers - Austria, Norway, Australia etc. South Korea had a very low mortality rate when they started testing lots of people, it's now crept up to over 1% as deaths start to catch up.

Conversely, the US death rate started high, but has come down to 1.3% as they have started to test a lot more.

I'm a bit surprised at the claims of German "cheating" here and in real life, which seem to be based on absolutely nothing except total ignorance of the German health system and an unwillingness to entertain the possibility that the Germans might have tested a higher proportion of infected people than the British have. It seems to be a specifically anti German prejudice, the same things are not said about Norway or Australia.

The mysteries of how the Germans always manage to win always winds up the British, you should know that ;]
    The odd thing is no-one (for some values of no-one) in power seems to wonder what Germany does right and we do wrong. It has won more World Cups than us, has more prosperous industries and lower crime rates.
    Sometimes it’s not quite as simple as looking at what some countries do right and some do wrong. Every country is different and often what appear to be be successful approaches in one are simply not replicable (either theoretically or practically) in another. Whether for reasons of demography, geography or, bluntly, history. The U.K. is often a prisoner of its history in many ways that other countries are not. It is not a coincidence that many of the successful countries of the modern day were the ones who’s societies were so destroyed by the wars of the 20th century. Many countries had a blank slate and a strong motivation and indeed, obligation, to pursue a new course that the U.K. never had.

We have a national infrastructure which dates back to the world wars, the Industrial revolution, the civil war, Magna Carta, even 1066. With every layer built upon another, and rarely a point to be able to start again with a blank state.
    I think it's definitely too early to say if Germany will have a more "successful" coronavirus than Britain. From what I've seen both countries could learn from each other, and from Asian countries.

I think the the UK health system has better national coordination but starts off with less capacity, I'm pretty scared it will be more seriously overloaded. My sister is a doctor in a London hospital and the next few weeks look pretty grim. My wife is a doctor in a NRW hospital and things sound quite similar. The Germans seem hopeful that there is enough capacity, and the lock down will slow things enough, to avoid things getting as bad as in Lombardy hospitals, but it's still going to be a nightmare.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

felix said:

Happy Birthday PB!

Were our national parks urging people to visit? I can find links to US parks doing that, but I can't see where UK national parks were doing the same.
    National trust were.
    The viral load point is absolutely critical. We all thought this was binary and it isn't. This means herd immunity theory in its crudest form is nonsense.
  • Options

There will be a lot about this. Why is it important? With this virus, the amount of virus in your blood at first infection directly relates to the severity of the illness you will suffer. This isn’t unusual - HIV management is all about reducing viral load to keep people alive longer. BUT it’s very important in COVID-19.

So if you are in, say, a pub or religious building or entertainment venue with 200 people and a large number don’t have symptoms but are shedding, you are breathing in lots of droplets per minute and absorbing a high load of the virus. In a crowded space. They become ill over the next 48 hours. You then three days later wonder why you can’t breathe and end up in hospital. You’d decided because you were young and healthy it wasn’t going to be a problem. Wrong.

Fortunately but unfortunately because the elderly are isolating quite well, the initial UK data suggests that all age groups above 20 are almost equally represented in ITUs in England. Most of the cases are in London but the wave is moving outwards. This means that being under 60 and fit and well doesn’t seem to be as protective as we thought. Why? Viral load.

This may be skewed simply by the fact that too many Londoners didn’t do as asked and congregated in large groups in confined spaces and got a large initial viral load. They then went home and infected their wider families. Which is why, as London is overwhelmed, we need to shut everything down to save the rest of the UK. We are a week at most behind London.

Our sympathies go out to the families affected in London and the critical care teams battling right now to save as many as they can.

If I sit with one person and catch this virus, I get a small viral load. My immune system will start to fight it and by the time the virus starts replicating, I’m ready to kill it.

No medicines will help this process meaningfully hence there is no “cure” for this virus. All we can do is support you with a ventilator and hope your immune system can catch up fast enough.

If I sit in the same room with six people, all shedding I get six times the initial dose. The rise in viral load is faster than my immune system can cope with and it is overrun. I then become critically ill and need me (or an ITU/HDU specialist) to fix it instead of just being at home and being ok in the end.

I am not a doctor but that sounds extremely unlikely to me. The idea that you get the virus worse because you are exposed to a lot of it just feels wrong. There is obviously a critical level of exposure which allows enough threads of the virus to enter your system and self replicate there to the point you have infection. Once you are exposed to that level of exposure your own system takes over and eventually you will have enough virus in you to start shedding it in your sneezes, mucous and sweat allowing the virus to pass on.

Clearly if you are in a large group you are more likely to be exposed to that critical mass of virus. But does more make a difference? I really have my doubts.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

It may be from Facebook but there seems to be a fair amount of evidence for it, including in households. Due to the close proximity of family members in a household, if one person gets sick this viral load issue is why they must isolate from even their own relatives in the house if they can (despite the fact its probably too late, their relatives will likely get infected either way) - because otherwise you can continue to catch more viral load from your sick relative and thus end up with a worse illness than they had.

Seems to be quite a bit of evidence that relatives who get the illness second in a household get the illness worse than the person who caught it first, which is probably due to this.
  • Options

felix said:

Happy Birthday PB!

' even the Prime Minister got it wrong and right in the same sentence.'

Why was that a surprise? Given the evident disconnect between his brain and his voice-box?
    I assume that even he eventually realised that he couldn't go and see his mother, after all.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

felix said:

Happy Birthday PB!

National trust were.
    The viral load point is absolutely critical. We all thought this was binary and it isn't. This means herd immunity theory in its crudest form is nonsense.
    Ah right, I did hear that they had to shut after too many people turned up.

As for viral load, lets see how long the Dutch carry on as normal.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

That's an apples and pears comparison, though.
    The viral load referred to in the Lancet is for those who had been infected for some time, so far more likely to be just those unable to fight it off.

Carlotta's point is entirely valid, though, even if there aren't any exact figures behind it. It's why (for example) medical professionals intubating infected patients are at such high risk, as the resulting aerosolised virus is present in very high quantities.
    Or why conference rooms or family homes see it pass on extremely easily.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    alex_ said:

If you are generally self isolating, but catch it in some chance encounter, it is unlikely to be particularly dangerous to you, and, as you are generally self isolating, there is unlikely to be significant risk of onward transmission.
    That's incredibly interesting. Is it true?

With HIV the point is that once you get it, you get it. That's it. But whether you go through the all-important sero conversion depends on the viral load of the contact point (host) and your own state of health. So, if your own immunity is good and/or you are for instance taking PrEP then even if the viral load in the host is high you stand a better chance: nearly 100% safe if you're taking PrEP.

So are we sure that's the same here with CV? We can take on a small viral load but kick it out the system before it gains traction?
  • Options
    When you wake up to the news that the government has nationalised the railways...

Happy Birthday, PB, and best wishes to all PBers and their loved ones.
  • Options

When you wake up to the news that the government has nationalised the railways...

Happy Birthday, PB, and best wishes to all PBers and their loved ones.

If this was the old football terraces they could be chanting at Boris, 'Are you Corbyn in disguise? Are you Cooooorbyn in disguiiiise?'
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Precisely. Not enough is made of this point. For personal health it’s not about whether you get it but how you get it. This is why doctors and nurses in hospitals are at so much risk.

This seems to me to be confusing 2 separate things. The first is whether you catch it or not. If you do I remain to be convinced that how you catch it is relevant. The second is whether you are at risk of passing it on. Obviously self isolation is absolutely key to that.
  • Options
    The shortages at Waitrose seem to be getting worse. Up to now, it's just been toilet paper. Now they can't provide toilet paper, paracetamol, flour, eggs, and zinc tablets.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

If we are on the road to a complete lockdown why are we so keen to keep the trains running?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Perhaps best not to share then? This is how rumours and half-truths spread, particularly if they intuitively make sense.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Morning all. OK, here's my rough and ready Engineer's rule-of-thumb to determine the current infection level...

Assumptions:

1. 1% mortality
    2. It takes 10 days from contracting the virus to death
    3. The number of cases doubles every 2.5 days

So, take the current number of deaths, multiply by 100 then double it four times.

So when there were 100 deaths, there were 160,000 cases.

If the doubling is every 3.33 days, then 1 fewer doubling, so 80,000 cases in the above example. I reckon it is within that range.

300 deaths equates to 240,000 to 480,000 cases.

So best not mingle in the park.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    DavidL said:

I am not a doctor but that sounds extremely unlikely to me. The idea that you get the virus worse because you are exposed to a lot of it just feels wrong. There is obviously a critical level of exposure which allows enough threads of the virus to enter your system and self replicate there to the point you have infection. Once you are exposed to that level of exposure your own system takes over and eventually you will have enough virus in you to start shedding it in your sneezes, mucous and sweat allowing the virus to pass on.

Clearly if you are in a large group you are more likely to be exposed to that critical mass of virus. But does more make a difference? I really have my doubts.
    It does make a difference.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

If we are on the road to a complete lockdown why are we so keen to keep the trains running?
    On commuter routes for the key workers presumably.

My wife sent me a picture from the bus on the way to work as a key worker today. Normally the bus wouldn't be full but she'd be lucky to get a seat on her own (ie people occupying every row). This morning she was the only person on the bus.

If the buses stop she'll be unable to get to work, unless I drive her.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Christ alive, no wonder he looks knackered. Lets also hope Mr G-Tech is correct with his 1000 a week claim for his design.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    DavidL said:

I don't think intuition has much part to play here. No idea what the answer is.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

1. 1% mortality

It's running at 4.3% isn't it?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/#case-tot-outchina

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I know that some people have tried to dilute that figure by saying there are far more people with it than currently tested, but then if (entirely plausible) rumours from China are true the same can be said for the number of fatalities.

We can only work with the official statistics we have: 341,524 confirmed cases and 14,747 deaths = 4.3%

Even more reason to heed your very wise words about avoiding social contact.
  • Options
    Re the Facebook post...there is definitely truth the reason healthcare professionals are extreme high risk of getting it is because they interact with patients at height of viral load shedding and by the nature of their job having to do things like put tubes down people's throats means they are right in the direct "firing line" so are exposed to direct high levels.

All the rest, as far as I know is just social media speculation.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Well there's nothing like a bunch of completely unqualified people having a medical speculation. Let's join in. Maybe it takes the body time to detect the virus and respond (and/or it takes the time for the virus to settle into a state where it triggers a response)? If you get a whole load of virus at once, you are starting to respond already under a much higher load.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    In a way thats positive, that we will need them all is sobering
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Wonder where they got all these ventilators from, as the whole world is trying to buy them and the big international players that make them, their increase in output is tiny compared to the demand.
  • Options
    Anyone seen the pics of the tubes this morning? feck me
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    DavidL said:

alex_ said:

This seems to me to be confusing 2 separate things. The first is whether you catch it or not. If you do I remain to be convinced that how you catch it is relevant. The second is whether you are at risk of passing it on. Obviously self isolation is absolutely key to that.
    No doubt Foxy will be along in due course.

All things are poison, and nothing is without poison, the dosage alone makes it so a thing is not a poison. —Paracelsus

Meanwhile an initial promising treatment lowers viral load:

http://www.virology.ws/2020/03/19/hydroxychloroquine-reduces-viral-load-and-symptoms-in-covid-19-patients/
  • Options

1. 1% mortality

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I know that some people have tried to dilute that figure by saying there are far more people with it than currently tested, but then if (entirely plausible) rumours from China are true the same can be said for the number of fatalities.

We can only work with the official statistics we have: 341,524 confirmed cases and 14,747 deaths = 4.3%

No, you don't use flawed statistics and assume they are correct, simply because there are no better ones.

Look at Senator Paul. He had no symptoms whatsoever and clearly only got tested because he is a senator and considered important. To his surprise, he is a carrier.
  • Options

Again I want to be diffident about this but is that article not saying that those who have a lot of virus in their system are more likely to become severely ill? It will no doubt be an important tool in identifying who is likely to need iCU care and there are no doubt really important questions about why the virus replicates so much more in some than others but does it have anything to do with how you are infected in the first place?
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    FPT...

I think a lockdown is inevitable, if only because many people appear to be infecting others without realising it.

If my understanding is correct, some 50% of the ‘not so young’ Diamond Princess passengers who tested positive were asymptomatic. It is also my understanding that children and young people are often asymptomatic. Elsewhere I read that people who do develop symptoms are asymptomatic during the preceding 24 hours, but they are shedding viruses by that point.

Everybody is avoiding the guy with a cough, but I get the impression that your are more likely to be infected by somebody who appears to be perfectly healthy.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

Christ alive, no wonder he looks knackered. Lets also hope Mr G-Tech is correct with his 1000 a week claim for his design.
    Do they really mean UK or is it the usual NHS England reported as UK.
    It is impossible to really know as it is almost universally used on media.
  • Options

Wonder where they got all these ventilators from, as the whole world is trying to buy them and the big international players that make them, their increase in output is tiny compared to the demand.

Local manufacturers.
  • Options
    Floater said:

In a way thats positive, that we will need them all is sobering
    The real sobering stat from yesterday was Cuomo saying at their current estimates for NY, they need to double capacity of their whole healthcare system immediately.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

Its the companies (franchises) that are looking at financial collapse through lack of customers that the government is stepping in to protect.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

1. 1% mortality

No, you don't use flawed statistics and assume they are correct, simply because there are no better ones.

No but I'm perfectly happy to accept the expert stats for now issued by The World Health Organisation and John Hopkins Centre GSSE.

Rather, that is, from a couple of armchair pundits with degrees in PPE postulating on PB ;)

(that's light-hearted by the way before Felix jumps on me again)
  • Options

Didn't they get the likes of JLR to manufacture them??
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Well there's nothing like a bunch of completely unqualified people having a medical speculation. Let's join in.
    Which is my point about the statistics ;)

WHO and John Hopkins CSSE currently have the mortality figure at 4.3%.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Why?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The shortages at Waitrose seem to be getting worse. Up to now, it's just been toilet paper. Now they can't provide toilet paper, paracetamol, flour, eggs, and zinc tablets.

During Cheltenham we drank Aquarius Lemon with added zinc, which was in plentiful supply in Sainsbury's. Of course, that was two weeks ago.
    https://www.coca-cola.co.uk/marketing/launches-and-innovation/introducing-aquarius
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Perhaps best not to share then? This is how rumours and half-truths spread, particularly if they intuitively make sense.
    I think the audience here are sufficiently worldly wise to make up their own minds. Since it reinforces, rather than contradicts, government advice, and also provides a rationale for why it is valid, I don't see what harm it can do.

"It's the dose that makes the poison" Perhaps with viruses its different. Perhaps not.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076

It was 1000 a day:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-extraordinary-uk-effort-to-produce-thousands-more-ventilators-11961559
  • Options
    Chris Bryant sounding very sensible on Sky news
  • Options

Which is my point about the statistics ;)

WHO and John Hopkins CSSE currently have the mortality figure at 4.3%.

I definitely have it. Not going to be recorded in the official stats. The only way we will get an accurate picture is when the antibody test is available and then we can see just how many people have had it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Why?
    Because the more you are infected by the more virus will be in your system and multiplying before your own immune system gets a chance to respond, making it harder for your immune system to respond.

This is why if a husband gets it mildly his wife who catches it from him is more likely to get it severely (or vice-versa), because they've caught more of a load. Its also why isolating works even if you still catch it.
This discussion has been closed.