Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The football season should be completed even if matches are be

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited March 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The football season should be completed even if matches are behind closed doors

The thing that I find most weird about the current lockdown situation is that there is no football or other our professional sport. At this point we would be having the build up to the Grand National, the Boat Race and the final stages the football season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Me?
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    If matches aren't going to have any crowds for a year or two, will there be any clubs left to complete the league anyway?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Stocky said:

Me?

It would appear so :smile:
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    The League many local clubs play in has been concluded. there will no promotion, no relegation.
    Which is a bit hard of FA Cup giant-killers Maldon and Tiptree, who were running away with their division.
  • Options

The League many local clubs play in has been concluded. there will no promotion, no relegation.
    Which is a bit hard of FA Cup giant-killers Maldon and Tiptree, who were running away with their division.

Seems stupid to make a decision now when they have no idea when they can start playing again.

If it is in exactly a year after they stopped, then carrying on would be the best solution anyway.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    And take away one of the few blessings of the current state of affairs?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

If matches aren't going to have any crowds for a year or two, will there be any clubs left to complete the league anyway?

Yes. The main income stream is TV
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    As a Liverpool fan, we've waited 30 years for the league title. If it takes a few more months then so be it - but they do need to complete the season over the summer, one way or another.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    How can you play behind even closed doors and keep the players 2 metres apart?
  • Options

Will TV companies keep paying clubs to pay players' wages if football is suspended for a year?

Also crowds are part of the spectacle for TV, it's one of the reasons the Premier League is so popular. I can imagine TV companies arguing a large part of the product is missing if it carries on behind closed doors.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    No, scrap the season. Start again next year with last year's table.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

On the other hand, you will have all the Sky/BT subscribers at the moment suspending their subscriptions. To think this won't have a knock on effect downwards is naive.

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Will TV companies keep paying clubs to pay players' wages if football is suspended for a year?

Also crowds are part of the spectacle for TV, it's one of the reasons the Premier League is so popular. I can imagine TV companies arguing a large part of the product is missing if it carries on behind closed doors.
    The ones with sugar daddies in the gulf will be alright, but mid-premier league downwards it's going to be tough times.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    edited March 2020
    eadric said:

Impossible.

Too many players and coaches are already infected/isolating. Others would fear infection.

It would also send the dangerous message to everyone that it's fine to go out to the park for a game of footie.
  • Options
    As an F1 fan, I'm now resigned to most of the season not happening. All "touring" sports (tennis, golf, cycling etc) are probably going to be written off this year, as countries restrict travel and they rely on gate money for large amounts of their revenue.

On a positive note, great to see all the British-based F1 teams get involved in the drive for more medical devices, alongside a number of other technology, engineering and manufacturing companies. Now isn't the time to be overdoing the PR aspect, but I hope these companies will be rewarded by their customers when this all blows over. Perhaps the government could compile a list of who stepped up to the plate?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,622
    Singles tennis could go ahead, without spectators.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

South Shields are threatening legal action:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/south-shields-threaten-legal-action-21762694

I think it's downright stupid to be making decisions like this now. I think they should complete this season when football is allowed to resume and make a call on what to after that.

The worst thing that could happen is that they start next season only for it to get halted again.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    It would be nice for me if the season were to finish, as it’s the only way I can make a living!

Can’t see why the games can’t be played behind closed doors if the match day squads and staff have tested negative for the virus beforehand. Three games a day everyday, all on tv, jobs a goodun
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Andy_JS said:

Singles tennis could go ahead, without spectators.

The tournament economics of for-TV only probably doesn't work for most of them, except for perhaps something like the O2 with only elite players.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Finish this season, however long it takes. Once that's done view where we are at and take however long it takes for next season. The idea there won't be any possibility of disruptions next winter is absurd so any suggestions of scrapping this season is absurd too - could mean no season next year either following that logic.

If this season and next season combined take 3 years so be it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    edited March 2020
    tlg86 said:

South Shields are threatening legal action:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/south-shields-threaten-legal-action-21762694

I think it's downright stupid to be making decisions like this now. I think they should complete this season when football is allowed to resume and make a call on what to after that.

The worst thing that could happen is that they start next season only for it to get halted again.
    South Shields had big plans for the National League and finally returning to the football league...

I know why they are annoyed
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,984

Finish this season, however long it takes. Once that's done view where we are at and take however long it takes for next season. The idea there won't be any possibility of disruptions next winter is absurd so any suggestions of scrapping this season is absurd too - could mean no season next year either following that logic.

Why not complete this season in the late summer autumn then have a revised format next year where teams play each other only once? Names in a hat for home advantage and seeded so City, Spurs, Arsenal and Utd don't all have to visit Anfield etc. Five Nations works well on a one-game format...
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,539
    If people would have the sense to follow interesting sports like Belarusian table tennis and Russian women's volleyball they could cheer their folk on and bet on it as well, courtesy of William Hill and friends.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    felix said:

MaxPB said:

One striking thing in this article is that, on a calorie basis, we're expecting supermarkets to increase their supply of food by more than 40%. That's big.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/millions-to-need-food-aid-in-days-as-virus-exposes-uk-supply

For how long? The public can't be eating that much more, and there must be a physical limit to most people's stockpiling.
    No, the issue is that 20-30% of our intake comes from eating out. Lunches, work canteens, nights out, pubs etc... All of this now has to be replaced by home cooking.
    Its not just that. Work from home + full fridges and cupboards means food gets eaten faster. Also these aren't normal times. People think they need to keep 14 days of food at home in stock at all times - so that means a lot of sizable top-up shops. The data is clear - more consumers making more trips and buying more on those trips. It has slowed down vs last week but its still way above anything normal.
    Am I the only person who is eating less now than before ?

And I've only had 1 unit of alcohol in the last 11 days and that was only a Fosters Radler so barely counts.

I'm also exercising more.

These have not been conscious decisions but rather seem to have happened 'naturally'.

I'm still working so its not as if my lifestyle has changed.
    My personal weight loss programme has received an unexpected boost, Richard.

It's an ill wind...
    With the kettle and biscuit tin close at hand - I'm finding the devil is winning!
    I share your pain.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited March 2020
    Sorry but no. It would send out the wrong message on social distancing. Football is certainly not a necessity at this time and players can't socially distance whilst playing.
    It would send out the wrong message to people too who may well treat it as an excuse for a kick round the park.
    Can't go ahead even behind closed doors.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The season ought to be abandoned, I'm afraid, with all teams remaining in their current divisions. As a Norwich fan, this is clearly the right outcome.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,742

Why not complete this season in the late summer autumn then have a revised format next year where teams play each other only once? Names in a hat for home advantage and seeded so City, Spurs, Arsenal and Utd don't all have to visit Anfield etc. Five Nations works well on a one-game format...
    Depends on the likelihood of a second wave in the winter. If thats a reasonable chance then a one legged next season with a flexible fixture list makes a lot of sense. If there is no disruption then you could add on the reverse fixtures vs teams around you - i.e. play 19 games, then top 7 play reverse fixtures against each other but not those below, same for middle 6 and bottom 7.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601
    Stocky said:

Me?

An identity crisis ?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    If the games were played under the strictest social distancing rules it would put an end to professional fouls at a stroke :smiley:
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601
    HYUFD said:

That is an excellent question.

A simple change to the rules might suffice. Red cards for those breaching the 2m proximity guideline (and each player wearing a small position sensor, so this can be enforced automatically).

• Options
    To expand: Football for the players falls under work, not leisure as it is their income stream.
    However can it be done from home ?
    No
    So they must travel to the place of work. That's OK under guidelines.
    Can they socially distance whilst working ?
    No.

Fails the social distance test.

OTOH Singles tennis (With players fetching their own balls !) may be OK to go ahead.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

The season ought to be abandoned, I'm afraid, with all teams remaining in their current divisions. As a Norwich fan, this is clearly the right outcome.

It all depends on when football can resume, but one option would be to complete the current season, have three teams promoted from the Championship but none relegated from the PL. Then play a 22 game season (11 home and 11 away) with the bottom six being relegated.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Same applies to everybody, about everything. This is special pleading at its worst. Apart from anything else football is pretty much exclusively a male interest. If we privilege anything it should be something a bit less divisive.

What sexist nonsense. Over a third of fans are female.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

IshmaelZ said:

Same applies to everybody, about everything. This is special pleading at its worst. Apart from anything else football is pretty much exclusively a male interest. If we privilege anything it should be something a bit less divisive.

What sexist nonsense. Over a third of fans are female.
    There's a lot of women football too. Played and watched. Crowds are getting back towards 1920's levels.
  • Options
    felix said:

If the games were played under the strictest social distancing rules it would put an end to professional fouls at a stroke :smiley:

You'd still get players diving in the box.
  • Options
    The data coming out of Spain this morning shows around 10 increase in cases and deaths. So far looking better wrt flattening the curve.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Regarding self employed, do we know if SSP and Universal Credit to those with savings above £16k are still available?

I only started being self employed in the tax year 19/20, so once again my timing is terrible.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    eadric said:

Here’s a thing.

Italy has now been in lockdown more than 2 weeks. 2 weeks is the presumed maximum incubation period for Coronavirus. Therefore, any Italian testing positive now, caught the infection SINCE lockdown

How? Where? Why? What’s their age, what do they do, what’s their daily routine?

If we had answers to these questions (eg people are catching it in supermarkets) we would be able to adjust our own behaviour and limit the spread.

It depends when they show serious enough symptoms to go to hospital though - that takes 2-3 weeks (with some stochasticity). Most cases will still thus have been caught before lockdown. Additionally, there will be some intra-family transmission of course + limited transmission in shops etc.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    ABZ said:

eadric said:

Here’s a thing.

Italy has now been in lockdown more than 2 weeks. 2 weeks is the presumed maximum incubation period for Coronavirus. Therefore, any Italian testing positive now, caught the infection SINCE lockdown

If we had answers to these questions (eg people are catching it in supermarkets) we would be able to adjust our own behaviour and limit the spread.

It depends when they show serious enough symptoms to go to hospital though - that takes 2-3 weeks (with some stochasticity). Most cases will still thus have been caught before lockdown. Additionally, there will be some intra-family transmission of course + limited transmission in shops etc.
    Plus lockdown wasn't assiduously enforced a fortnight ago was it?
  • Options

The ones with sugar daddies in the gulf will be alright, but mid-premier league downwards it's going to be tough times.
    They are going to have to negotiate hard with their biggest cost - the players themselves. I am sure most could live very comfortably on 10% of what they are currently paid in the first couple of leagues, maybe 50% in the lower leagues.

With no TV money coming in, they'll very quickly have no choice in the matter.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Sounds like Mike had a book he is talking up.

Having watched some of the closed doors Champions League games I'd say why bother without fans.

• Options
    felix said:

The data coming out of Spain this morning shows around 10 increase in cases and deaths. So far looking better wrt flattening the curve.

Oops - of course I meant 10% case/death rises.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,153
    fpt
    @isam : “if normal flu infections and deaths were reported in the way this virus has, we would live on a similar state of panic.”
    Flu is deadly when it induces pneumonia. I would like to know whether the lungs are distressed in the same way with SARS-CoV. It seems to me that the enormous need for ventilators shows it to be more lethal than normal flu in the end stages of illness.
  • Options
    God speed Boris.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2020
    Designated Survivor activated...oh god....
  • Options
    I said days ago I couldn't believe how careless world leaders have been, other than Putin in his full hazmat suit.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,352
    Best wishes to Boris and family
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    It's impracticable. Players will get it and teams go into isolation, or be unable to field a team.
    All that has happened is that football has gone back to being a winter sport, which is a good thing IMO. The only fixture that should be played as late as April is the FA Cup final.
    And in other news, Boris has got it.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    eadric said:

Here’s a thing.

They could well be catching it in their lockdowned homes from family.
  • Options
    Whoa! How many people would he have met in the past fortnight?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    felix said:

felix said:

Oops - of course I meant 10% case/death rises.
    That’s my interpretation but people only want to focus on the headline figures, there is a possibility that the Total number of active cases may have dropped for the first time but awaiting confirmation on that.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

As large a concern as Boris, the egg-heads.....
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Boris!! best wishes for a speedy recovery
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,294
    That is really bad news. Here's hoping for a rapid recovery.

On the football I am torn. I can't help feeling it is f******* hilarious that Liverpool might be denied their first Championship in 30 years but I do agree some distraction would be a benefit.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

As much to the point what's Carrie been up to? Who has she socialised with?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,202
    So what was all that crap about CORBYN should be staying at home?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    kinabalu said:

Well he's in the high risk group, isn't he? ;)
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Is Carrie a carrier?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    There's never been a less enticing time to be a politician, celebrity or royalty, given the number of people they have to meet.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,301
    kinabalu said:

Great post.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

There's never been a less-enticing time to be a politician, celebrity or royalty, given the number of people they have to meet.

A great time to be a hermit!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

He’s been meeting Whitty and Vallance on a regular basis.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

Is Carrie a carrier?
    Well obviously she's carrying a child. Let's hope that's all.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Fuck. Boris positive. Pregnant wife.

Maybe 50% of us do in fact already have it, as the Oxford study speculated.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Stupid thread but I'll forgive Mike. Putting players and all their staff at risk is idiotic and grotesque.

Fucking hell: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-boris-johnson-tests-positive-for-covid-19-11964493

He's very overweight. Eeeeeeeek.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Get well soon Prime Minister.

Meanwhile, Dominic Raab was last traded at 20 for next Prime Minister.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

If that were true, surely Boris would have got this months ago?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Sandpit said:

• Options
    RobD said:

Well he's in the high risk group, isn't he? ;)

He is now! PMQs just the other day and Johnson breathing right across at him. Jeez.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited March 2020
    Guess we won't be seeing Boris doing any more pressers for a few weeks then?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    kinabalu said:

He is elderly and if reports are to be believed not in the best of health.

It happens to be the scientific advice, do you think you know better?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    This thread header is looking a bit irrelevant now..
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That is really bad news. Here's hoping for a rapid recovery.

On the football I am torn. I can't help feeling it is f******* hilarious that Liverpool might be denied their first Championship in 30 years but I do agree some distraction would be a benefit.

Well there’s a theory that I’m prepared for that to happen as it sends United bust.

Imagine being a highly leveraged football club reliant on merchandise and sponsorship to pay the interest and PIKs and suddenly all of that dries up, plus if the season is voided then it’s another season without CL football.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    GIN1138 said:

Guess we won't be seeing Boris doing any more pressers for a few weeks then?

Via videoconference unless he gets really sick, I guess.
  • Options
    In that very interesting Guardian article about the search for a vaccine, the academic in Cambridge working on this, very sensibly is living and working in total isolation.

I said this for weeks, if a chemical weapon had gone off, our world leaders wouldn't be striding around like they have.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,749

It's impracticable. Players will get it and teams go into isolation, or be unable to field a team.
    All that has happened is that football has gone back to being a winter sport, which is a good thing IMO. The only fixture that should be played as late as April is the FA Cup final.
    And in other news, Boris has got it.

FA cup final was traditionally played on the first Saturday in May. No football after that until late August. The rot started in 1966.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    It would be ironic if he caught it from Neil Ferguson.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,246
    Sandpit said:

I think Hancock was the only other minister to attend cabinet physically earlier this week, which is bad enough, but there's the Cobra meeting, the Chief Scientific/Medical Adviser, and through them a whole bunch of people coordinating the response.

Then, of course, there's whoever he caught it from, and whoever else they might have passed it on to.

Could be very bad.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Andy_JS said:

eadric said:

As I now understand it, the Oxford study was trying to show 50%+ was a theoretical possibility given their dataset, not what they believed was likely? Not very useful at all.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    We need someone who's already had it running the country until Boris is better IMO.

Bring on Nadine!!!! :D
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

That is an excellent question.

A simple change to the rules might suffice. Red cards for those breaching the 2m proximity guideline (and each player wearing a small position sensor, so this can be enforced automatically).

That's quite funny

If you dribble the ball at walking pace towards the goal, nobody can stop you!

If the team leading at half time kicks off the second half, then there will follow 45 minutes of a bloke standing still with the ball at his feet and nobody allowed to tackle him... genius
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

We need someone who's already had it running the country until Boris is better IMO.

Bring on Nadine!!!! :D

Prince Charles. :o
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    TOPPING said:

Great post.

:smile:

I am suffused - suffused.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    If Boris comes through this with minimal side effects the pressure to lift the lockdown will rise.

This could be a bonus.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    I hope Boris gets well soon - certainly everyone will be following his progress very closely.

Is it wrong that there's 0.1% of me that thinks maybe he wasn't enjoying this and has political coronavirus? ;)

• Options
    So how long do we give it some idiot appears on 24hr news saying why did Boris get priority for test?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419

This thread header is looking a bit irrelevant now..

Does it? Life must go on.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718
    TGOHF666 said:

If Boris comes through this with minimal side effects the pressure to lift the lockdown will rise.

This could be a bonus.

Surely we aren't going to be determining how to handle the pandemic based on how one man responds to the infection?
  • Options

So how long do we give it some idiot appears on 24hr news saying why did Boris get priority for test?

Key worker I'd have thought.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,254

eadric said:

Here’s a thing.

They could well be catching it in their lockdowned homes from family.
    f

Lots of people still going to work in Italy, and a lot more were going to work before "non-essential" businesses were closed just 5 days ago.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Within seconds on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/GrahamMegennis/status/1243498808169947136
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    eadric said:

Stupid thread but I'll forgive Mike. Putting players and all their staff at risk is idiotic and grotesque.

Fucking hell: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-boris-johnson-tests-positive-for-covid-19-11964493

He's very overweight. Eeeeeeeek.

He looks fairly healthy in the video he posted. Hope he recovers quickly.

He didn't. He looked awful last night. A friend said to me just now, 'well you called it with what you said to me last night.'

I said he looked knackered. Now we know why.

And this 'it's mild' thing. Just be careful. This bastard virus only reveals its deadly hand as the pneumonia sets in.

I wish him a full and speedy recovery. We need him.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

He’s been meeting Whitty and Vallance on a regular basis.
    That's the worrying one. It could well be that a lot of others are about to go down with it, and Boris is just the first we know about.

Hopefully the Cabinet haven't been meeting each other, and the chief scientists haven't been meeting their deputies and teams in person.
  • Options

Another case of BDS. Sad. :(
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

This could be a bonus.

I'm sorry - you think personal experience of (we hope) mild Prime Ministerial symptoms should trump the broader reality of high death rates amongst older and vulnerable people, chaos in Spain and Italy, and the pressure on NHS resources, particularly ventilators? Nuts.
  • Options

According to Sky he was tested on the suggestion of Sir Chris Witty.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,998
    This is going to be like the last days of Chernenko. We'll be counting the days between his appearances and trying to work out how much makeup he's wearing.
This discussion has been closed.