Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Past is Not Another Country

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited March 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Past is Not Another Country

When I was a child in Naples, the trams had signs on them telling people not to spit and also to offer up seats to the “mutilati di guerra” (the war wounded). The first sign always puzzled me. Spitting was terribly bad-mannered, of course, but why was this instruction so much more necessary than any other? It took one of my many elderly relatives to tell me that spitting and coughing into the space where others were could spread disease. And diseases could kill. This was not just about good manners but health. It was obvious to those who had grown up before WW2, had lived through it and WW1, had known a world without antibiotics and vaccines, a world where childhood diseases, some of them quite debilitating and often lethal, were commonplace (my mother and her siblings caught every childhood disease going), a world where pneumonia killed the young, where TB was a lethal disease not a romantic backdrop to operas, where childbirth was still a risk, where formula milk was not available for those mothers too sick to nurse their infants, where cuts were bathed with iodine to prevent infection. (I still remember how it stung and the fierce determination with which it was applied, no matter how loud our childish cries.) 

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    First past the post...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,201
    Foxy said:

First past the post...

We’ll allow you that with a good grace, given you’re ill.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
  • Options
    Good as always. One good thing to come from this will hopefully be a reassessment of the need to invest more in vaccines, new classes of antibiotics and the need for more resilience in core functions of society.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    A good start might be for footie players to stop gobbing on the pitch. Today's yoof must see that and think it's okay.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    dr_spyn said:
    Yes, everyone has forgotten just how fast this has developed - from what was seen by the experts as a moderate threat to the current full-blown crisis in just four weeks or so.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    My daughter is a mental health therapist and she is now doing sessions over the phone, she says it’s heart breaking seeing months of work with agoraphobics and other issues is lost as they get hung up on the virus crisis and only reenforces the problems they were trying to overcome.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    nichomar said:

My daughter is a mental health therapist and she is now doing sessions over the phone, she says it’s heart breaking seeing months of work with agoraphobics and other issues is lost as they get hung up on the virus crisis and only reenforces the problems they were trying to overcome.

A very important point. Our NHS mental health service is going to be under incredible pressure and I suspect will be another aspect of our systems that will have to change utterly when all this is over. It has been neglected far too long, despite all the talk by politicians.

Few people seem to be considering what is happening to people who are effectively in solitary confinement.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,651

dr_spyn said:
    Yes, everyone has forgotten just how fast this has developed - from what was seen by the experts as a moderate threat to the current full-blown crisis in just four weeks or so.
    Including the editor of The Lancet - who castigated the government for following his advice:

https://twitter.com/ZacGoldsmith/status/1243315992459182082?s=20
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

dr_spyn said:
    Including the editor of The Lancet - who castigated the government for following his advice:

Why would he say something like that when he surely remembered what his own position had been? Did he really think no one would notice?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:

Why would he say something like that when he surely remembered what his own position had been? Did he really think no one would notice?
    Because he’s thick as pigshit as well as a nasty small-minded bully and liar?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,333
    edited March 2020
    Good article, if not quite the cheery tonic one might wish for. One big change over past centuries is the availability of multi-mode contact for most people - isolation doesn't feel nearly so bad when you can talk and email and text and WhatsApp etc etc. I've been out for a walk a couple of times and met others - we eyed each other nervously and steered a wide berth. To be honest I feel safer simply staying at home, chatting to friends, and sod the exercise.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    edited March 2020
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

First past the post...

He can`t be that ill if he`s that quick
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

dr_spyn said:
    Yeah the amateurs saying "well I knew" have hindsight, COVID-19 could have been and generally would be expected to be more like SARS or MERS and not turn into a global problem.

If any smart alec on the Internet knows a way of determining in the early stages of a new virus emerging that it will become a pandemic rather than fizzle out or be easily snuffed out well they can tell everyone and collect their Nobel Prize.
  • Options
    His opening yesterday was remarkable. Trying very hard to prononuce the names of the other G20 leaders, he was very much laboring to breathe. A sight - and sound - to behold, but he recovered somewhat during his stint at the mic.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    To be fair to Horton, he changed his mind a few days later. His thesis that February was a wasted month is true. However, now is not the time to dwell on that. He would have been better using his position at the time to raise the alarm so it didn't happen. Only a token effort was made.

Instead now is the time to provide constructive criticism, reflect and amplify the problems on the frontline and ultimately support the effort against this disease. There is plenty of time afterwards to identify what went wrong, including noting the underfunding of the health care system.
  • Options

To be fair to Horton, he changed his mind a few days later. His thesis that February was a wasted month is true. However, now is not the time to dwell on that. He would have been better using his position at the time to raise the alarm so it didn't happen. Only a token effort was made.

Instead now is the time to provide constructive criticism, reflect and amplify the problems on the frontline and ultimately support the effort against this disease. There is plenty of time afterwards to identify what went wrong, including noting the underfunding of the health care system.

Are you fully recovered now?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:

Because he’s thick as pigshit as well as a nasty small-minded bully and liar?
    From what I've heard from him in the last few days he's definitely a berk.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,651
    On topic - I've tried to source it, but can't, I am reminded of this quote:

"We act as though we are immortal, yet each day death walks amongst us."
  • Options
    Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

First past the post...

Well, in that case, can we just take it as a PB appreciation for the NHS, 24 hours late?
  • Options

His opening yesterday was remarkable. Trying very hard to prononuce the names of the other G20 leaders, he was very much laboring to breathe. A sight - and sound - to behold, but he recovered somewhat during his stint at the mic.
    Those whom the gods...
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    Not really. It was easy to spot and world leading scientists were raising the alarm at the end of January. But anyway. It doesn't matter now, what matters is how we can do our best given where we are.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

First past the post...

Well, in that case, can we just take it as a PB appreciation for the NHS, 24 hours late?
    Yeah, get back to work pronto, Foxy
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited March 2020
    I think we could tell by late Jan that it was a potential deadly pandemic, although I’m not sure what the government might have done at that point.

What *is* true is that Boris in the early weeks (ie right into early March) have the impression there was nothing to worry about, even handshaking was fine.

Anyway, can’t be arsed carping.
    More interested in how we beat this bitch.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Great header. Yes, perhaps we now feel like most people for most of the time have felt.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

I'm feeling better today. But nervy to say so because it has been so up and down.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

dr_spyn said:
    Not really. It was easy to spot and world leading scientists were raising the alarm at the end of January. But anyway. It doesn't matter now, what matters is how we can do our best given where we are.
    I don’t mind people having changed their views. That’s allowed. I didn’t foresee that this virus would spread this fast or be this severe. I thought it would be a fairly significant problem in this country next winter, a sort of energetic flu. I was completely wrong.

But it’s a bit off to say that other people were not taken it seriously when he was urging them not to to take it seriously and makes no mention of that.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:
    I don’t mind people having changed their views. That’s allowed. I didn’t foresee that this virus would spread this fast or be this severe. I thought it would be a fairly significant problem in this country next winter, a sort of energetic flu. I was completely wrong.

But it’s a bit off to say that other people were not taken it seriously when he was urging them not to to take it seriously and makes no mention of that.
    Yes that is naughty and obviously he isn't the best person to make that point. It's also not the time now to be making it.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605
    An emotional 24 hours for Priti Patel.

Yesterday she was giddy with excitement over the implementation of a police state.

Today she realised that she spent PMQs sat between two blokes who've got COVID-19.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    Are you sure? I’m only half way through Siegfried.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    USA 100k cases and rising
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Yesterday she was giddy with excitement over the implementation of a police state.

Today she realised that she spent PMQs sat between two blokes who've got COVID-19.

You win some, you lose some.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited March 2020
    I checked just now as a friend wanted one of my masks. I ordered mine from Amazon on 23rd January. It arrived two days later. Bemusingly, even then its main selling point was its anti-pollution filtration system despite the fact it's said to be effective against viral droplets.

How the hell does it take a pretty nondescript writer to suss what's about to hit and at least another 6 weeks for the Gov't to do so?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    Am I the only one to remember the old Victorian saying "Cleanliness is next to Godliness" ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2020

I think we could tell by late Jan that it was a potential deadly pandemic, although I’m not sure what the government might have done at that point.

Well they started having meetings at the beginning of January. Ferguson fired up his model and given the available data it didn't say anything of the sort.

So all those going well it was bloody obvious wasn't it...one of the foremost experts in this field with the highly sophisticated model couldn't tell, so I think all the armchair critics can do one.

It probably didn't help that China more than likely has been fiddling the figures to some extent.

Now if the government hadn't even bothered to setup the working government and got the egg-heads working, now that would be valid criticism. But that isn't what happened.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    dr_spyn said:
    What if so many test positive that they wouldn't be able to continue to operate if everyone self-isolated?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    edited March 2020

I checked just now as a friend wanted one of my masks. I ordered mine from Amazon on 23rd January. It arrived two days later. Bemusingly, even then its main selling point was its anti-pollution filtration system despite the fact it's said to be effective against viral droplets.

How the hell does it take a pretty nondescript writer to suss what's about to hit and at least another 6 weeks for the Gov't to do so?

Partly the latter having rather more to worry about than the former.

Partly that the risk involved in your decision was a few quid wasted. The risk involved in the government taking preparatory action before the threat was real would have been £millions if not £billions, wasted if the virus went the way of the previous three or four that briefly looked like imminent pandemics before melting away.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,577

Am I the only one to remember the old Victorian saying "Cleanliness is next to Godliness" ?

Coughs and sneezes spread diseases; that’s why we use our handkerchieveses.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Well they started having meeting at the beginning of January. Ferguson fired up the super computer model and given the available data it didn't say anything of the sort.

So all those going well it was bloody obvious wasn't...one of the foremost experts in this field with the highly sophisticated model couldn't tell, so I think all the armchair critics can do one.

Now if the government hadn't even bothered to setup the working government and got the egg-heads working, now that would be valid criticism. But that isn't what happened.
    And yet; a few on here were raising the alarm.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775
    RobD said:

You win some, you lose some.
    She and others in the Tory ranks will have a great deal of space in which to prove their worth over coming weeks. They have nothing at all to live up to in terms of a standard politically - the outgoing leader of the opposition having just nailed his colours to the mast in his self-validiction, and the outgoing shadow-chancellor trying to spend money like Brewster.

Let's hope they set themselves high standards and deliver.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

A sobering thought from those days: remember the footage of 5 or 6 large tanker lorries line abreast rolling slowly through Wuhan spraying the streets with disinfectant? We aren't doing anything remotely like that. People speak as if tightening up to match Chinese standards just means welding people into flats rather than politely suggesting they stay there. Wrong.
  • Options

Diogenes would disagree with you.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328
    Andy_JS said:
    I keep warning those (who obviously hate Trump) not to let that overly influence their betting.

But they do.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

A sobering thought from those days: remember the footage of 5 or 6 large tanker lorries line abreast rolling slowly through Wuhan spraying the streets with disinfectant? We aren't doing anything remotely like that. People speak as if tightening up to match Chinese standards just means welding people into flats rather than politely suggesting they stay there. Wrong.
    Do we have any evidence that firing disinfectant all over the streets does anything?

I have read only one article that says basically if you want to be ultra ultra cautious you want to leave your shoes outside and wash your hands when you come in, as there is a very small chance it could be on the bottom of your shoes.

Also, lets not forget, in China spitting is culturally acceptable. In the West, it is not.

I think there are many more situations that pose a much higher risk.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328
    Good thread.

The risk is we rapidly forget this within a few years of this crisis.

I hope that's not the case.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    ydoethur said:

Not a barrel of laughs, that guy.

Barely clubbable.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Do we have any evidence that firing disinfectant all over the streets does anything?
    It might help encourage people to stay at home?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Good point....Fire up the water cannons......
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Nigelb said:

That's the Ferrari theme tune isn't it?

When I was young my father sang that whenever Ferrari won a race.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Nigelb said:

atisshoo atishoo we all fall down - that was the 1665 Plague - OMG how old am I?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

They have been sold haven't they?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    I keep warning those (who obviously hate Trump) not to let that overly influence their betting.

But they do.

Should Biden Freak Out About the Trump Bump?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/27/opinion/coronavirus-trump-polls-approval.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
  • Options
    The always excellent Grant Sanderson...looking at people getting tired of social distancing, people slipping through measures, etc...

Simulating an epidemic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxAaO2rsdIs&t=1043s
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

They have been sold haven't they?
    I believe so, for a fraction of what the great Bozo paid for them
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    One example which has always struck me of how mortality has changed can be seen from this book of the first England cricket tour in 1859:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Cricketers-Canada-United-States/dp/114598195X

Robin Marlar's introduction states "only three were under 30 and only 7 of the 13 were to reach 50. Death came early for the mid-Victorians ."
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    IshmaelZ said:

I think you'll find we are very shortly. Why do you think Councils have been ordered to forcibly house all rough sleepers?
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,589
    edited March 2020
    felix said:

Nigelb said:

atisshoo atishoo we all fall down - that was the 1665 Plague - OMG how old am I?
    You're like one of those old codgers who gets misty eyed about the Blitz, even though they weren't born until 1947.

'Eee, this pandemic isn't a patch on the Black Death, that were the big one'. :D
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

What *is* true is that Boris in the early weeks (ie right into early March) have the impression there was nothing to worry about, even handshaking was fine.

Anyway, can’t be arsed carping.
    More interested in how we beat this bitch.

I did a 400 quid shop on the 8th February at Waitrose....loads of wine, beer, and I got bog roll too....and pot noodles....I got the priorities right...but sadly neglected the 0.5 mill we had invested in the stock market

The wine and beer now sadly are looking a bit depleted....
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,768
    felix said:

Nigelb said:

Fake news!

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ring-around-rosie/
  • Options

Well they started having meeting at the beginning of January. Ferguson fired up the super computer model and given the available data it didn't say anything of the sort.

So all those going well it was bloody obvious wasn't...one of the foremost experts in this field with the highly sophisticated model couldn't tell, so I think all the armchair critics can do one.

And yet; a few on here were raising the alarm.
    Not as much as you’d think (or they’d have you think), if you go back and look.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

felix said:

Nigelb said:

You're like one of those old codgers who gets misty eyed about the Blitz, even though they weren't born until 1947.

'Eee, this pandemic isn't a patch on the Black Death, that were the big one'. :D
    1665 might have been the big one if somebody wasn't kind enough to accidentally burn down London.
  • Options

Well they started having meetings at the beginning of January. Ferguson fired up his model and given the available data it didn't say anything of the sort.

So all those going well it was bloody obvious wasn't it...one of the foremost experts in this field with the highly sophisticated model couldn't tell, so I think all the armchair critics can do one.

It probably didn't help that China more than likely has been fiddling the figures to some extent.

As a relevant aside, in September 2014 the CDC forecast that West Africa would be overwhelmed by 1.4 million Ebola cases by the following January. As things panned out, there were actually only 30,000 cases. Similar for SARS, MERS and bird flu. Working out which viruses will become pandemics and which not is not as easy as it might look with hindsight.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,775
    I'd mis-remembered the quote about the past being another country.

'The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.'

Was what I thought the header was referring to. Anyway I guess 'another country' has been used variously. Do they even allude to it in Star Trek?

It won't benefit the original author at all, but I've just ordered a copy of the Go-Between.

I'm oddly happy that cyclefree didn't rebuke a rather lovely quotation.
  • Options
    Trump, inaugural speech: "This American carnage stops right here and stops right now."

Trump now: "We will be back at work by Easter"
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    There's no chance of the lock-down being eased on the 15th April it would seem. I still think Boris wants the country back to "normal" to celebrate VE or VC Day on May 8th.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    We aren't going to be ready in 2 weeks....at least not all the extra capacity that was hoped for, and clearly the mid May timeline was what the thinking behind the ventilator schemes i.e. sign off March, start April, month to work balls to the wall to get 10,000s.
  • Options
    A very good article by Cyclefree, as always.

It’s not so much a technology problem - we had a SARS vaccine ready for trials fairly soon after the outbreak a decade and a half ago, and we can now have new vaccines possibly ready for clinical trials within a matter of weeks - so much as a market one.

And there is no commercial incentive to develop new antibiotics.
    Though governments are starting to wake up to that.
  • Options

It seems to me that a big part of the problem is that the figures you want to use in your model are the ones that you get after a pandemic has run its course. On the other hand the figures you have to use are error prone and in some cases assumed, and therefore the potential for the model producing highly misleading results is ever-present.

It's a genuinely tough problem to crack.
  • Options
    Might be if the peak is much lower than we think.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,922
    nichomar said:

I was thinking earlier that this was not terrible for agoraphobics? I had a time when I was isolated , lonely and had a bit of social anxiety myself, so not taking the Mick
  • Options
    I think tonight is the first time I really do think the real economy will be unable to withstand this...it's all too fragile. It's not geared up for this kind of shock...this horrible virus is going to take the whole thing down...banks, personal finances, national finances...and everything that goes with it...there is no safe place for money....the only good thing about gold will be to wear it....

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

We aren't going to be ready in 2 weeks....at least not all the extra capacity that was hoped for, and clearly the mid May timeline was what the thinking behind the ventilator schemes i.e. sign off March, start April, month to work balls to the wall to get 10,000s.
    unless they are expecting a lower peak?
  • Options
    Good thread header @cyclefree. One bonus of this disease is the lack of Brexit headers.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

As a relevant aside, in September 2014 the CDC forecast that West Africa would be overwhelmed by 1.4 million Ebola cases by the following January. As things panned out, there were actually only 30,000 cases. Similar for SARS, MERS and bird flu. Working out which viruses will become pandemics and which not is not as easy as it might look with hindsight.
    Exactly. And I think it is pretty clear that Western government don't trust the Chinese figures, and as soon as they started to plug in Italy, all the models went mental i.e. double the hospitalisation rate.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

I see you are a glass half full kind of guy.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Pah
  • Options

Lets hope so.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    There is another thing I noticed they have increasingly started to do...lets call it the Jim Acosta school of press conference questioning. Make a load of statements combining fact and opinion, not questions, for best part of 30s and then basically say so you are lying aren't you / you are crap aren't you?
  • Options
    RobD said:

I see you are a glass half full kind of guy.
    But if the peak is much lower then I expect wave two will be a lot higher as people think this was much ado about nothing.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    In France on a school exchange in the mid 1950s we were astonished by the ubiquity of défense de cracher notices inside buses, train stations etc. Spitting was not at all common here, certainly not on public transport. But spitting in public must have been common in 19th century America - cf. spittoons - and nowadays in China. It's a male thing and connected to smoking.
  • Options
    isam said:

Good thread header @cyclefree. One bonus of this disease is the lack of Brexit headers.

We’re all just stunned that Brexit turned out quite so bad. Everyone was criticising the number on the bus for being undeliverable, yet it now looks like a serious underestimate. Meanwhile no-one latched onto our not being allowed to leave our homes.
  • Options
    stodge said:

There's no chance of the lock-down being eased on the 15th April it would seem. I still think Boris wants the country back to "normal" to celebrate VE or VC Day on May 8th.

We all want the country back by the beginning of May...I want to go to the pub, and not have people scuttle away from me in the street when I pass them like I'm a suicide bomber..I want to go the cinema...and not have to wash my hands every 5 seconds....I want to go to the barbers....

As my mum said...what we want, we don't always get....
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    IanB2 said:

isam said:

We’re all just stunned that Brexit turned out quite so bad. Everyone was criticising the number on the bus for being undeliverable, yet it now looks like a serious underestimate. Meanwhile no-one latched onto our not being allowed to leave our homes.
    The pandemic is just a Tory ruse to make No Deal Brexit look like paradise by comparison...
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Not a barrel of laughs, that guy.

Barely clubbable.
    If you tried chatting to him, he'd lamp you...
  • Options
    geoffw said:

In France on a school exchange in the mid 1950s we were astonished by the ubiquity of défense de cracher notices inside buses, train stations etc. Spitting was not at all common here, certainly not on public transport. But spitting in public must have been common in 19th century America - cf. spittoons - and nowadays in China. It's a male thing and connected to smoking.

If we do get through this hopefully we can watch football without them grobbing all the time...Pep is terrible and he doesn't even play..he flecks this little white floaters out continuously...it's disgusting...
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595

Good thread.

The risk is we rapidly forget this within a few years of this crisis.

I hope that's not the case.

It is curious how the Spanish Flu of 1918 is much less remembered than the First World War despite killing far more people, perhaps people actively wish to forget pandemics for some reason.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,768
    In a show of bipartisanship he didn't invite any Democrats
This discussion has been closed.