Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Joe Biden: tough seasoned candidate or bumbling geriatric?

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Pulpstar said:

Freggles said:

What mask should I be buying for when I go out?

Do we need one ?

It's the one bit of PPE I'm not going to bother with. Then again I'm in quite a rural area.
    Filled the misses' car today - Disposable gloves for the petrol pump. We have to travel during the lockdown, that won't apply to everyone mind.
    Our local garage provides disposable gloves for everybody, whether buying fuel or newspapers (or Tunnock's tea cakes). And we aren't exactly a hot-spot - I think Devon has had 15 extra cases this week, from 50 to 65. But everyone is taking it VERY seriously, even though the odds of coming into contact with it are still quite remote. Fuel sales are W-A-Y down.
    No gloves at my local ASDA, used my own (right hand only) though. Left hand didn't touch anything. Using pump provided gloves means you have to touch the dispenser ^^;
    It's probably a change that is worth pointing out on twitter maybe.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    kinabalu said:

Well it's Saturday but you wouldn't know it. Every day is exactly the same.

Not worn a watch in two weeks. It’s great.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Although the garage a mile away sells Tunnocks tea cakes. So could survive a few weeks....

https://twitter.com/geminiorchard2/status/1243874866283130882
    Now this is a crisis.
    Ha! England have all your teacake!!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Just back from walking the dog, ISTM that there are a lot fewer people out and about today. The weather isn’t quite as nice, although fairly decent this morning. I wonder whether the top trio having come down with the virus has made it real for more people?

Lovely day here for a change
    Looks like independence is not going to happen no matter how much you 'will' it too Malc

Todays poll is evidence of the appreciation of the union by the Scots who recognise the strength of the union at times of national emergency

I have always maintained the Scots would not vote for independence, but covid 19 has ensured it
    Weren't you recently humpfing about someone passing comment on a country in which they didn't live? Was it because you thought they didn't have right to stick their oar in or that they didn't have a clue, being so far away 'n' everything?
    My family have an absolute right to comment on Scots independence and will continue to do so. My children and grandchildren are half Scots and are entitled to wear their kilts

Of course you may have some difficulty in understanding independence is over, but over it is

And by the way, I was schooled in Berwick on Tweed and have lived with the desire of some for independence since those days in the 1950's, and of course lived in Edinburgh and was married in Lossiemouth
    Thinking someone has to be 'entitled' to be able to wear a kilt is a pretty good signifier of faux Jockism if ever I saw it. I have to break it to you that Chas & Dave could have worn kilts if they'd fancied it.

Still, at least we know that you think some people are permitted to pass comment from a distance and others not.
    He said “their” rather than “a” - I’d read that as “their” tartan.
    Again, you can wear any old tartan you wish, no one but nobs and the McTourist industry gives a ****.
    Sure. And if I put up a flagpole in the front garden no one* would give a sh1t. Technically against the rules.

However it’s really a matter of courtesy. Technically I’m entitled to wear Graham tartan (as a good Glaswegian boy) but the only thing I wear occasionally is a scarf. It would feel like passing myself off as something I’m not. In the same way, I’d be slightly peeved if someone was to adopt my logo for their own use.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Alister Jack has brought the percentage of infected Cabinet ministers up to 13%.

Despite the awful spelling of his name, I wish him a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    When this is over people will probably make (slightly bad taste) jokes on twitter about Derbyshire Police. It'll be interesting to see how they respond to them.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    felix said:

Glancing at the UK dashboard - at first glance the virus seems to be very much more prevalent in Remain than Leave areas. Very striking. At the risk of re-igniting the fires.......

God is a Leaver.....?

(or he doesn't do skiing?)
  • Options
    tyson said:

felix said:

tyson said:

Food wise...how are people going?

we are now onto mash potatoes and baked beans with some cheddar ontop...lovely actually...my goto dish as a student....I'm holding out going back to the supermarket as long as possible

Good lord - we have everything we need - shops are well stocked with all of our regular goodies and some. Yesterday pasta and minced beef; tonight southern fried chicken with peas and broccoli, sunday loin of pork roast potatoes, etc......

I hated going to the supermarket food shopping at the best of times...now facing the prospect of dying to undertake this horrible inconvenience, I'm postponing it as long as possible...

My wife has metamorphosed into a female incarnate of Howard Hughes which is hardly helping matters...
    Actually it was pleasant shopping in Aldi this morning. Dutiful queuing but for no more than 5 minutes and thanks to the one in one out system no more than two dozen people inside. Reasonable stocks and no sense of anyone rushing.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

ABZ said:

Floater said:

If anybody needed reminding before todays figures, the next month or so at least is going to be very grim.

Yes - the peak is allegedly at least a couple of weeks off
    For London....other parts of the country are 2-3 weeks behind. So I think we have to brace for appalling scenes first from the capital and then everywhere else on our screens for 4-5 weeks.
    I don't understand the rationale here - the lockdown takes place at the same time everywhere - hence you will, approximately, have peaks at the same time everywhere. The timing of the peak is a direct function of the measures you put in place - as these have been implemented nationally the peaks should be roughly synchronous. What will differ is that the amplitude of the peak will be larger in those areas that started with more cases once the lockdown was implemented.
    The lockdown doesn't reduce transmission by 100% and won't be equally effective everywhere.

As I understand it, if the lockdown reduces transmission by only 75%, that is sufficient to reduce R to less than 1 which is what is required for the spread to slowly fizzle out. It's a number game.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Chris said:

Charles said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

Chris said:

Why do people find it so, so hard to understand the very basic fact that the Imperial College modelling is producing a range of predictions based on different conditions?

It's hardly surprising that we are doing worse than the "best case" model. By definition of "best case". Is it perhaps a problem with understanding English rather than Maths?
    Actually, 260 was the estimate. Lower and upper bounds were 210 and 330.

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1243243397281972225
    That's not from the Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team at all.

It's from a preprint by one W. T. Pike of Imperial College and one V. Saini of "the Lown Institute" in Brookline, Massachusetts:
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.25.20041475v1.full.pdf
    More importantly why do we allow Imperial College to be called that? It’s a disgrace! We should rename it Exhibition College or something. It’s upsetting for people who directly suffered from the Empire otherwise!
    Funnily enough, the "technology transfer" division of the College used to be called "Imperial Exploitation". I think it's now known as IMPEL for some reason.
    😂
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Government sending out the C team today...Business Secretary Alok Sharma and Professor Stephen Powis, National Medical Director of NHS England, are expected to set out the latest measures.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Every Day Is Like Sunday is definitely on the Covid-19 playlist, along with I Can’t Feel My Face, Don’t Stand So Close To Me and Staying Alive.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

When this is over people will probably make (slightly bad taste) jokes on twitter about Derbyshire Police. It'll be interesting to see how they respond to them.

I suspect they may drone on and on.....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

Alister Jack has brought the percentage of infected Cabinet ministers up to 13%.

Despite the awful spelling of his name, I wish him a speedy recovery.

Only a hyphen separates him from the a-list.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Charles said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Just back from walking the dog, ISTM that there are a lot fewer people out and about today. The weather isn’t quite as nice, although fairly decent this morning. I wonder whether the top trio having come down with the virus has made it real for more people?

Looks like independence is not going to happen no matter how much you 'will' it too Malc

Todays poll is evidence of the appreciation of the union by the Scots who recognise the strength of the union at times of national emergency

I have always maintained the Scots would not vote for independence, but covid 19 has ensured it
    Weren't you recently humpfing about someone passing comment on a country in which they didn't live? Was it because you thought they didn't have right to stick their oar in or that they didn't have a clue, being so far away 'n' everything?
    My family have an absolute right to comment on Scots independence and will continue to do so. My children and grandchildren are half Scots and are entitled to wear their kilts

Of course you may have some difficulty in understanding independence is over, but over it is

And by the way, I was schooled in Berwick on Tweed and have lived with the desire of some for independence since those days in the 1950's, and of course lived in Edinburgh and was married in Lossiemouth
    Thinking someone has to be 'entitled' to be able to wear a kilt is a pretty good signifier of faux Jockism if ever I saw it. I have to break it to you that Chas & Dave could have worn kilts if they'd fancied it.

Still, at least we know that you think some people are permitted to pass comment from a distance and others not.
    Again, you can wear any old tartan you wish, no one but nobs and the McTourist industry gives a ****.
    Sure. And if I put up a flagpole in the front garden no one* would give a sh1t. Technically against the rules.

However it’s really a matter of courtesy. Technically I’m entitled to wear Graham tartan (as a good Glaswegian boy) but the only thing I wear occasionally is a scarf. It would feel like passing myself off as something I’m not. In the same way, I’d be slightly peeved if someone was to adopt my logo for their own use.
    Glasgow? Kilts are a highland thing, and no one in the highlands gives a monkeys about what you wear.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    IshmaelZ said:

welshowl said:

IanB2 said:

tyson said:

we are now onto mash potatoes and baked beans with some cheddar ontop...lovely actually...my goto dish as a student....I'm holding out going back to the supermarket as long as possible

As I remainer, I was completely against a stupid No Deal Brexit, but in an example of unintended consequences, I had built up a fair supply of canned and dried goods in case one happened.

So, ok for food at moment.
    I would be OK if I could deal with these mice raiding my emergency food store every night.
    Tried a cat?
    Very little meat on them.
    Four drumsticks, though!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

You think the authorities are going to relinquish their powers voluntarily after this? There’s always a first time I suppose.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Andy_JS said:

felix said:

Glancing at the UK dashboard - at first glance the virus seems to be very much more prevalent in Remain than Leave areas. Very striking. At the risk of re-igniting the fires.......

That's mainly because Remain areas tend to be more urban. The Highlands of Scotland also voted Remain but I doubt they'll be as affected, so it probably isn't anything to do with how people voted in the referendum.
    I wasn't being serious.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049

tyson said:

felix said:

tyson said:

Good lord - we have everything we need - shops are well stocked with all of our regular goodies and some. Yesterday pasta and minced beef; tonight southern fried chicken with peas and broccoli, sunday loin of pork roast potatoes, etc......

I hated going to the supermarket food shopping at the best of times...now facing the prospect of dying to undertake this horrible inconvenience, I'm postponing it as long as possible...

My wife has metamorphosed into a female incarnate of Howard Hughes which is hardly helping matters...
    Actually it was pleasant shopping in Aldi this morning. Dutiful queuing but for no more than 5 minutes and thanks to the one in one out system no more than two dozen people inside. Reasonable stocks and no sense of anyone rushing.

Your post suddenly reminded me of....

George Romero's Masterpiece...Day of the Dead (1978)...depicts a small group of surviving humans holed up in a supermarket when the zombie apocalypse arrives...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

tyson said:

As I remainer, I was completely against a stupid No Deal Brexit, but in an example of unintended consequences, I had built up a fair supply of canned and dried goods in case one happened.

I would be OK if I could deal with these mice raiding my emergency food store every night.
    Humane traps deployed. Two of the little buggers so far.

I look forward to meeting Plod when I am out on a mission to take them a few miles away for release.....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    edited March 2020

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

Although the garage a mile away sells Tunnocks tea cakes. So could survive a few weeks....

https://twitter.com/geminiorchard2/status/1243874866283130882
    Now this is a crisis.
    Ha! England have all your teacake!!
    You mean all these years @malcolmg was right??
  • Options
    Ooooh - Good Lady now making chocolate mousse!
  • Options

felix said:

tyson said:

Vegetarian tagine with grilled haloumi cheese last night; a beef chilli tonight; roast chicken dinner tomorrow (with a crumble and custard).

We are surviving.....
    Where's that carpenter when you need the doors widening. :smiley:
  • Options
    One thing about the USA, their Gov't is handling the virus particularly badly. For all the flaws I've found with our approach they're doing a fair job. Any and all gov'ts will make mistakes in the current climate.
    Doing the wrong thing quickly (herd immunity for instance) isn't a bad thing. It was the realisation of where that policy would have ended up (New York City) that probably allowed the full pivot through to the current situation as quickly as it has. I'm glad neither May nor Trump are in charge here.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

tyson said:

I look forward to meeting Plod when I am out on a mission to take them a few miles away for release.....
    How does that work? A house mouse is a house mouse. Who is the lucky householder?
  • Options
    felix said:

Andy_JS said:

felix said:

That's mainly because Remain areas tend to be more urban. The Highlands of Scotland also voted Remain but I doubt they'll be as affected, so it probably isn't anything to do with how people voted in the referendum.
    I wasn't being serious.
    I think my theory that remainers are less likely to wash their hands is more plausible....and I say that as someone who only attends dinner parties only as a last resort and on pain of death due to my friends dubious hygiene standards (they are all remainers)..
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

It is quite likely that we are now four years from Dissolution at end of March 2024 for an election on 2nd May.
    I don't necessarily see why an autumn election should be off the cards, now that the May/June fetish has been broken. Personally, I'd go for December again, just for the lolz (plus the fact that short days and bad weather hinder the Opposition campaign).
    No PM is likely to be thanked for holding a December election when other alternatives were available. October might be possible , but apparently coincides with Universal Credit going nationwide. May or June 2024 is more likely.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Every Day Is Like Sunday is definitely on the Covid-19 playlist, along with I Can’t Feel My Face, Don’t Stand So Close To Me and Staying Alive.
    The trendy channels in Spain are playing a haunting live version of Forever Young - got me quite emotional!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

tyson said:

felix said:

tyson said:

For my part I don't much like having to go shopping under the current circumstances, but then again I still have to go to work as well so worrying about one or two extra trips out each week seems kind of pointless.

And the experience has got better. I decided to go to Tesco a bit earlier this afternoon and there were full or nearly-full shelves everywhere save for tinned food (variable - fruit and soup not so bad, baked beans, tomatoes and pulses pretty much cleared out,) and dried pasta, bog roll and kitchen roll, all of which had been completely stripped by the locusts. Queueing system working very well (i.e. nothing to worry about unless it's raining,) and lots of space to move around in the shop - no doubt helped both by traffic control before the entrance and all the parents leaving their kids at home.

Going forward I reckon I'll be able to get away with turning up 15 minutes before opening time on a Saturday to do a big shop (inclusive of difficult to find items,) and then I should be able to get away either with no shopping at all or one small top-up midweek. Providing that things don't get any worse again...
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763

felix said:

God is a Leaver.....?

(or he doesn't do skiing?)
    Pretty sure Jesus is a Remainer though. They must have terrible arguments about it...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    eadric said:

Andy_JS said:

stodge said:

I'm still worried by what I saw this morning while on my daily forage for victuals.

Social distancing within stores but the people queuing to get into stores all bunched up together.

I'm also far from convinced those for whom English isn't a first language fully comprehend what is happening and what they need to do. Groups of men hanging round street corners smoking and drinking but if you are in a house of 15 to 20 and one of them is sick what can you do?

I'm also far from convinced the number of reported cases is anywhere near the number of actual cases.

This is why London is likely to be hit harder by the virus than elsewhere.
    Also why COVID is likely to rip through BAME communities. Many videos out there showing lockdown being completely ignored by some Muslim and African communities

In France it is even worse, and the police have admitted they simply can’t enforce social distancing in the bain lieues

Multiculturalism is about to exact a heavy price on those who can least afford it.
    It’s been doing that for about 40 years
  • Options
    Any polls out tonight - I'm fed up with virus charts.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Charles said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

The tartan nonsense is almost entirely a bullshit Victorian invention that has fuck all to do with Scotland.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

One thing about the USA, their Gov't is handling the virus particularly badly. For all the flaws I've found with our approach they're doing a fair job. Any and all gov'ts will make mistakes in the current climate.
    Doing the wrong thing quickly (herd immunity for instance) isn't a bad thing. It was the realisation of where that policy would have ended up (New York City) that probably allowed the full pivot through to the current situation as quickly as it has. I'm glad neither May nor Trump are in charge here.

I would have liked Jeremy Hunt if I had to pick....I think May would been caught in the headlights...and Corbyn..god knows...

Andy Burnham would have been good too....

I think Boris is doing OK...but his instinct to bullshit is what sets him back....
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    tyson said:

felix said:

Andy_JS said:

felix said:

I wasn't being serious.
    I think my theory that remainers are less likely to wash their hands is more plausible....and I say that as someone who only attends dinner parties only as a last resort and on pain of death due to my friends dubious hygiene standards (they are all remainers)..
    Leavers tend to be Trump supporters as well as Brexit supporters. Trump Republicans are very much less likely to worry about Covid-19 since it's a Democrat hoax pushed as Fake News by the MSM.
    So they will see less need to wash their hands. QED.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    felix said:

Bound to be more prevalent in urban areas than rural. I thought the lockdown should apply more strictly in city pubs and restaurants than country ones for that reason l... although that might make the country ones too busy
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    Been doing some research on how flu compares to corona. Yes, I know, but better late than never. Usual caveats about no definitive answer bla bla but my big picture takeout is that corona is in the same ballpark (or worse) on virulence of spread but once contracted is about 100 times more likely to put you in hospital. This is the crux of the matter, I think, and why until we have a vaccine we are in deep shit.

I am also planning to actually read the Imperial report. It's the least I can do given I went there. So, quite shortly, I hope to be able to offer some detached and desiccated analysis of what's what rather than my usual impressionistic insights.

And a slight twist on today's "Daily Owen". It's in Hebrew -

Really excited to be publishing @OwenJones84 in Hebrew, with this important piece about COVID-19 and the climate crisis https://t.co/k7KeF5BKDy

— Haggai Matar (@Ha_Matar) March 25, 2020
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Re Covid 19 - could see the fall of football as we know it

Yesterday Sky allowed me to pause their sports subscription and today BT have credited one month sport subscription with further reviews

Assuming wholesale cancellation of sports subscriptions are happening now just how many will reinstate their full packages when sport returns, but maybe of an even wider concern to subscription channels is where will the money come from to afford them from the populace. I can see a large uptake of freeview

I assume the broadcasters will litigate over broken contracts but the obscene flow of money into football is going to come to a juddering halt.

Many clubs , including famous ones, will not survive this going forward

Every cloud has a silver lining!
  • Options
    felix said:

kinabalu said:

The trendy channels in Spain are playing a haunting live version of Forever Young - got me quite emotional!

Some others for the playlist

The Libertines...I Can's stand you now.....
    Smiths..Heaven knows....
    Kaisers....I predict a riot

• Options
    edited March 2020
    12 months for a Mansfield man who spat at police officers claiming to have coronavirus.
    Appropriate.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

12 months for a Mansfield man who spat at police officers claiming to have coronavirus.

A kind of symbolic sentence...they'll be opening up the prisons next week...

• Options
    The Royal Mint has a low opinion of Leave supporters. It is currently advertising Brexit 50p pieces for £4.50.
  • Options
    felix said:

Any polls out tonight - I'm fed up with virus charts.

You just want to see the Tories on 60% don't you?

Some of us can settle for 54% for now......
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Meeks, jein.

Such things are commonplace, and that price is lower than many similar things (I recall seeing brilliant uncirculated 10 pence pieces for £2).

Not going to buy one, although I'd keep one if I got it in change (quite like collecting the variations).
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

The Royal Mint has a low opinion of Leave supporters. It is currently advertising Brexit 50p pieces for £4.50.

What price is the 'Remain Half-Penny?'. I'm told they're very fragile.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

My normal Saturday involves watching sport. I am currently watching 101 Feelgood Anthems of the 80s.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    tyson said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Smiths..Heaven knows....

I'll have the classic "Why is everybody always picking on me/" after some of the responses to my earlier posts.
  • Options
    tyson said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Smiths..Heaven knows....

Carter USM...Only Living Boy in New York...sprang to mind too
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    edited March 2020
    tyson said:

tyson said:

felix said:

tyson said:

George Romero's Masterpiece...Day of the Dead (1978)...depicts a small group of surviving humans holed up in a supermarket when the zombie apocalypse arrives...
    That was ‘Dawn of the Dead’. The remake isn’t too bad either.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

What price is the 'Remain Half-Penny?'. I'm told they're very fragile.
    Don't know, but you can only pay for it in Euros.
  • Options
    stodge said:

tyson said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Smiths..Heaven knows....

I'll have the classic "Why is everybody always picking on me/" after some of the responses to my earlier posts.

Stodge comrade...the worst thing you can do here is voice an opinion...you need to wait until someone else us does and then tell them what a twat they are....
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

Mr. Meeks, jein.

Such things are commonplace, and that price is lower than many similar things (I recall seeing brilliant uncirculated 10 pence pieces for £2).

Not going to buy one, although I'd keep one if I got it in change (quite like collecting the variations).

I'll give you a quid for the Kew Gardens 50p ;-)
  • Options
    stodge said:

tyson said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Smiths..Heaven knows....

https://youtu.be/d0LeL9BUPtA
  • Options
    Mr. Song, you most certainly will not.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    felix said:

kinabalu said:

I liked The importance of being Idle.
  • Options

I have to say I am losing track of days. I am a WFHer, but obviously weekends we usually have sport to keep me in check with things.

WFH? I'm surprised to hear that. I would not have guessed that being permanently exasperated with the British public could be income generating. Hats off!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Re Covid 19 - could see the fall of football as we know it

Yesterday Sky allowed me to pause their sports subscription and today BT have credited one month sport subscription with further reviews

Assuming wholesale cancellation of sports subscriptions are happening now just how many will reinstate their full packages when sport returns, but maybe of an even wider concern to subscription channels is where will the money come from to afford them from the populace. I can see a large uptake of freeview

I assume the broadcasters will litigate over broken contracts but the obscene flow of money into football is going to come to a juddering halt.

Many clubs , including famous ones, will not survive this going forward

To be honest if we no longer had a world where footballers were earning more than £200k a week I would be far from devastated.
    Nor me
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

I remind myself that only yesterday the comment sections on the Daily Mail site were saying this is a scare story by the NWO to set up a global government.......

Peter Hitchens still thinks that
    I'm surprised he hasn't yet proclaimed a link between contracting COVID-19 and marijuana use.
    Tbf having a big wet doob passed to you would be a maximum risk activity at the moment.
    Apologies if that has been posted before, but from the Guardian
    'I sell cannabis and cocaine to suppliers in the north of England. I have around 20 guys on the street, with approximately 200 regular customers. We have two main concerns now: sourcing drugs and getting enough money. We expect no more cocaine shipments from abroad for the next six weeks, so prices have shot up. '
  • Options
    Foss said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

felix said:

tyson said:

That was ‘Dawn of the Dead’. The remake isn’t too bad either.
    Thanks for the correction....I've not seen the re-make...

• Options

For my part I don't much like having to go shopping under the current circumstances, but then again I still have to go to work as well so worrying about one or two extra trips out each week seems kind of pointless.

And the experience has got better. I decided to go to Tesco a bit earlier this afternoon and there were full or nearly-full shelves everywhere save for tinned food (variable - fruit and soup not so bad, baked beans, tomatoes and pulses pretty much cleared out,) and dried pasta, bog roll and kitchen roll, all of which had been completely stripped by the locusts. Queueing system working very well (i.e. nothing to worry about unless it's raining,) and lots of space to move around in the shop - no doubt helped both by traffic control before the entrance and all the parents leaving their kids at home.

Going forward I reckon I'll be able to get away with turning up 15 minutes before opening time on a Saturday to do a big shop (inclusive of difficult to find items,) and then I should be able to get away either with no shopping at all or one small top-up midweek. Providing that things don't get any worse again...

The real heroes have been the corner shops which are still prevalent in my part of London. They are well stocked (no idea how) and operate a restricted access policy (from one to three at any time dependent on size). I have five within a quarter mile radius so I can avoid the supermarkets and the main High Street shops.

Some have reduced their opening hours (more 9 to 8 than 7 to 11) but have been a real help in the past week or so.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    isam said:

felix said:

Bound to be more prevalent in urban areas than rural. I thought the lockdown should apply more strictly in city pubs and restaurants than country ones for that reason l... although that might make the country ones too busy
    The Government may turn out to have committed a serious mistake in not imposing properly policed travel restrictions. You would've thought that having people still able to move in and out of the vast disease incubators that is London as they please would simply encourage the further spread of the virus out into the provinces. Which do not have the protection of a vast resident horde of hyperventilating journalists, or emergency convention centre hospitals.
  • Options
    Re. header.

I've no idea what Biden has ever done that suggests he may be Presidential. Nor does he.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Stodge comrade...the worst thing you can do here is voice an opinion...you need to wait until someone else us does and then tell them what a twat they are....

We don't need herd immunity when we have a herd mentality.

Strangely, on a site which is supposedly about betting, one of the more successful betting strategies is to oppose the majority.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,247

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

I remind myself that only yesterday the comment sections on the Daily Mail site were saying this is a scare story by the NWO to set up a global government.......

I'm surprised he hasn't yet proclaimed a link between contracting COVID-19 and marijuana use.
    Tbf having a big wet doob passed to you would be a maximum risk activity at the moment.
    'I sell cannabis and cocaine to suppliers in the north of England. I have around 20 guys on the street, with approximately 200 regular customers. We have two main concerns now: sourcing drugs and getting enough money. We expect no more cocaine shipments from abroad for the next six weeks, so prices have shot up. '
    That will be the inflation spike some pb-ers forecast.
  • Options
    F1 News: "F1 considers two-day race weekends to help stalled season get to finish line"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/mar/28/formula-one-radical-solutions-lights-green-on-season-coronavirus
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Floater said:

I am surprised that the Graun hasn't written a sob story yet on the financial hardship facing criminals. And it's not just the drug dealers - imagine trying to make a living as a burglar at the moment.
  • Options
    matthiasfromhamburgmatthiasfromhamburg Posts: 957
    edited March 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Glasgow? Kilts are a highland thing, and no one in the highlands gives a monkeys about what you wear.
    Don't you think that even Highlanders might respond in some fashion to Charles wandering the Highlands wearing nothing but a scarf?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited March 2020
    @Cyclefree Gardening Corner.

This is something I genuinely know little about. How do I prepare raspberry canes for the 2020 season, and what support do they need? Would a horse fence style box on 4 sides do it, or do I need to tie up each individual cane? At the moment the enclosure is a touch decrepit.

(By contrast, I do know about blackberries as I train the Himalayan Giant to crop for blackberry vinegar and the berries).

Thanks

https://twitter.com/mattwardman/status/1243928515134795776
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826

On topic, it’s hard to square this polling with current betting:

https://twitter.com/colinkahl/status/1243912323619631104?s=21

Kaboom!!!!
    You are Martin Boon & I claim my prize
  • Options

The Government may turn out to have committed a serious mistake in not imposing properly policed travel restrictions. You would've thought that having people still able to move in and out of the vast disease incubators that is London as they please would simply encourage the further spread of the virus out into the provinces. Which do not have the protection of a vast resident horde of hyperventilating journalists, or emergency convention centre hospitals.

I've already commented on the situation on the London Underground. The problem in my area has been twofold - first, with construction sites staying open many workers have needed to continue to travel and second there are people, not just in London but elsewhere, who literally cannot afford to miss a day's work. Their financial survival is on such a knife edge missing a day's money makes a real difference.

Apart from the measures brought in by Sunak, the only alternative would be for the Met or the BTP to check every single person and only those deemed essential (with a letter or email to that effect) would be allowed to travel. How that would work in practice (close more stations to create fewer points of access perhaps) I'm not sure.

• Options

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Now you are being ridiculous.

My wife, our children, and grandchildren do not wear any old tartan, they wear their family tartan going back generations

Seems you have the daft idea you cannot be Scots unless you live in Scotland
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Appropriate.

Bound to be young.
    If he had been a pensioner he would have got nothing and the police officer would have been jailed for wasting the courts time.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

stodge said:

Barnesian said:

kle4 said:

Your point may be more effective if you don't precede it with a charmless, self important and arrogant introduction. Lighten up, and not for the first time perhaps don't judge people for not choosing to be as efficient in their density of useful information per post as your good self. Different strokes for different folks. People are quite capable of judging for themselves if quality maches quantity.

Stodge is normally very polite. He usually starts with a "Good morning" or "Good Afternoon".
    Unfortunately the truth is somewhere in the middle. I try to be polite as often as I can and perhaps I'm too verbose in developing an argument but that's how I roll as a non-user of twitter.

I'm irritated that people who opine several times a day on matters political seem genuinely surprised Johnson and Sunak are scoring such high ratings and take the Conservative figure of 54% as some huge vote of confidence.

We go through this every time there's a crisis - people seem surprised leadership approval ratings spike up.

MY point is none of this is politically significant and once this is over the awkward questions may well start being asked such as who decided what, when and on what basis? Was the debate about the "herd immunity" business as usual theory held in Cabinet, at Cobra or elsewhere? Were the potential consequences of the "herd immunity" strategy in terms of deaths understood or explained? If so, by whom and when?

On the gross politics of it, I'd ask why the Spanish Flu - despite being one of the most significant events of the 20th century - has almost no profile in the public mind. The answer seems to be that pandemics create such a visceral horror in the population that there is no incentive to dwell on them afterwards, and every incentive to forget.
    In this case it’s largely becuase, as Foxy has already pointed out, there was so much else going on at the time. Almost every country in Europe was wracked by revolution or civil unrest, many of them by full scale war. For example, in the former Russian Empire maybe 13 million people died in a civil war. There was also a nasty worldwide economic shock in 1920-21 which diverted attention away from death rates. Because of these factors, the press was under tight control which meant it wasn’t widely reported on. Finally, the fact that in social history studies it has always been linked with the more dramatic First World War has tended to shine the spotlight away from it.

It pops up in many autobiographies or quasi-autobiographies of the period - Shute, for example, or Rolt, or Buchan. But equally it gets missed in others - Meyrick, for example, just talks about how London was busy in 1919 with everyone trying to forget the war.

There was in fact a second, longer lasting (and more lethal although fortunately smaller scale) pandemic at the same time, which I am guessing most people here have never heard of. Anyone heard of it?
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,248
    edited March 2020
    Omnium said:

Re. header.

I've no idea what Biden has ever done that suggests he may be Presidential. Nor does he.

I guess 36 years as a United States Senator, including eight as Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee and four as Chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee (in turbulent times) plus eight years as a pretty successful Veep.

You can argue about whether he's the right candidate, and you can argue about whether a "traditional" CV is useful against a highly unorthodox President. But you can't really argue against the assertion that he'd enter the White House with a textbook Presidential CV that is in many respects stronger than the incumbent and any of his Democratic primary rivals.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Not worn a watch in two weeks. It’s great.

Yes I'm doing OK so far too. Wouldn't say it's great, as such, but things are perfectly tolerable from my point of view. Really hope I don't get the virus though. It's one thing reading about it, running the numbers, debating its impact on the economy and on the world in general, quite another to actually get sick with the dreadful thing. Fingers crossed for me - and for one and all.
  • Options
    On the playlist, Derbyshire Police have requested The Clash - Clampdown...
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    Question: If we follow the pattern of Italy and Spain we will see case numbers rising across the country for the next 7-9 days. Following that there seems likely to be a period of increases in new cases by the same amount each day for a period. How will the country react to that, and that cases are not declining immediately? Will we demand tougher measures or will people be patient enough to (hopefully!) see it out and for cases to start tailing off a little?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    It's a Saturday afternoon in early spring and Belarusian Amateur Mixed Volleyball is having a big moment in the sun, courtesy of in-play betting sites. Meanwhile all flights from and to Pyongyang Airport are running as usual. Anything else going on?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Re. header.

Compared to Trump my daughters budgie looks presidential.
  • Options
    It's funny how we get used to the new reality...the UK posting 250 plus deaths today doesn't even register....

• Options
    edited March 2020

Omnium said:

Re. header.

What has your daughter’s budgie done to warrant such an unkind comparison?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Don't you think that even Highlanders might respond in some fashion to Charles wandering the Highlands wearing nothing but a scarf?
    You'd be surprised. They are a tolerant lot.
  • Options

Ah that's a good idea - corona compatible song titles.

There's a kind of hush ... all over the world ??
  • Options
    tyson said:

It's funny how we get used to the new reality...the UK posting 250 plus deaths today doesn't even register....

The UK has 1700 deaths a day on average. Until we know what sort of spike this is in the longer term we don't know much.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

It's a Saturday afternoon in early spring and Belarusian Amateur Mixed Volleyball is having a big moment in the sun, courtesy of in-play betting sites. Meanwhile all flights from and to Pyongyang Airport are running as usual. Anything else going on?

Both flights? Must be a busy day...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    kinabalu said:

Every Breath You Take.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    tyson said:

tyson said:

felix said:

kinabalu said:

Smiths..Heaven knows....

Carter USM...Only Living Boy in New York...sprang to mind too
    I'm currently shuffling Oscar Petersen.

If I played all his stuff once it could perhaps occupy the entire lockdown.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Living on my own - Freddie Mercury
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Now you are being ridiculous.

My wife, our children, and grandchildren do not wear any old tartan, they wear their family tartan going back generations

Seems you have the daft idea you cannot be Scots unless you live in Scotland
    Ahem, Mr G. Isn't it not a lot further than Walter Scott? 'Salmon Fishing in the Yemen' had quite a nice description 'the wrong robes for that part of the country'
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

tyson said:

How does that work? A house mouse is a house mouse. Who is the lucky householder?
    Nah, they are Wood Mice that come in. Very pretty things - big eyes - but not in the house.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

algarkirk said:

Both flights? Must be a busy day...
    Members of Momentum have to holiday somewhere and it would be awful to inconvenience them.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Re. header.

Trump's a clown, but he's become a Presidential clown.

I think there are a great many good things about Donald Trump - I can't put my finger on any of them, but somehow he's able to conjour something from car-crashes.

You can't though just choose any old clown and expect them to have the same magic Biden is any-old -clown.
  • Options
    tyson said:

There are about 1,500 deaths in the UK each and every day. Given the disproportionate impact on those with existing conditions, a fair number of the 250 would have been in the 1500 (we'll only really see excess death rates in figures later).

This is not in any way meant to minimise the situation, which will get significantly worse before it gets better and could get MUCH worse for a sustained period if we don't all do our bit. It's also not meant to minimise the pain those families are feeling. But we do need to put some context around it to avoid panic and depression.
  • Options
    Get Back - The Beatles
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    edited March 2020
    CatMan said:

F1 News: "F1 considers two-day race weekends to help stalled season get to finish line"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/mar/28/formula-one-radical-solutions-lights-green-on-season-coronavirus

They really don't get this do they?

A focus on getting the 2021 season off the ground would be more appropriate.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

And the lights all went out in Massachusetts.....
  • Options
    stodge said:

I've already commented on the situation on the London Underground. The problem in my area has been twofold - first, with construction sites staying open many workers have needed to continue to travel and second there are people, not just in London but elsewhere, who literally cannot afford to miss a day's work. Their financial survival is on such a knife edge missing a day's money makes a real difference.

Apart from the measures brought in by Sunak, the only alternative would be for the Met or the BTP to check every single person and only those deemed essential (with a letter or email to that effect) would be allowed to travel. How that would work in practice (close more stations to create fewer points of access perhaps) I'm not sure.
    I'm most concerned about what happens if things keep getting worse in London and substantial numbers of people begin throwing armfuls of bags into their cars and fleeing, to stay with any friends or family elsewhere who can be persuaded to take them in.

I was struck by coverage on the BBC News website yesterday that included the latest updates from France. The Plague there, having initially been worst in the East of the country, is now really beginning to ramp up in Paris. Data from the mobile phone networks also indicated that, apparently, an estimated 1.3 million Parisians have left either the city itself or the Ile de France (I can't remember which was specified) in the past week.

I can see there being a similar problem in London, and a typically behind-the-curve response from Government. Train services will stop and roadblocks will be thrown up on all the outbound routes about five minutes after every disease vector in the capital who has a second home, a friend or relative to go to elsewhere has finished leaving.
  • Options
    eadric said:

ABZ said:

Question: If we follow the pattern of Italy and Spain we will see case numbers rising across the country for the next 7-9 days. Following that there seems likely to be a period of increases in new cases by the same amount each day for a period. How will the country react to that, and that cases are not declining immediately? Will we demand tougher measures or will people be patient enough to (hopefully!) see it out and for cases to start tailing off a little?

By my seat of pants maths, Britain will be registering 1000-1500 deaths a day when we hit the peak. That means.... a lot of people in hospital
    Government looks to be planning for those sort of numbers with the Nightingale Hospitals....
This discussion has been closed.