Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tuesday is the 54th anniversary the last time a Labour leader

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited March 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tuesday is the 54th anniversary the last time a Labour leader other than Tony Blair won a working majority

As we approach the end of the Corbyn era I thought it would be look at what winning the argument actually looks like. This is not meant as an attack on Corbyn or Labour per se because winning a working majority is bloody hard.Prior to Boris Johnson’s victory last December in the last 49 years no Tory had won a working majority other than Margaret Thatcher. It shows the difficulty of Corbyn’s successor, whoever that may be, winning a working majority. Although I wouldn’t rule out Labour taking power at the next election if the result is a hung parliament.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    First!

We need your bar chart, TSE.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2020
    Ok another question...best 1-2 season tv show that got cut too, but was actually really good....

It is really bugging me, there was a US show (never think it was on in the UK), only one season before it got canned. I think shown the year after Homeland started. Was about a group of people who worked at a "black site" front company, who actually processing intelligence material. Very slow, but nobody was who they seemed to be and everybody was been spied on.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719
    edited March 2020
    Not an attack on Corbyn per se my arse :)

That as a Cameroon big of you to acknowledge he did not get what is termed a working majority.
    Also
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Of @Stocky’s list I have seen one series of Fargo and the pilot of Breaking Bad. I might catch up with some of the others after I retire.

It's a good list. He missed out:

The West Wing (especially for us lot)
    Southland
    Top Boy
    This Is Us
    When They See Us
    24 (if dated now)
    The West Wing is great until the end of the Bartlett campaign, everything after that is just okay.

The Wire is probably the best TV show ever made, even if it does get a bit messy towards the end.

Personally, I'd also recommend DS9, it's a great character drama if you can stand star trek. It's not very much like the rest of them.
    Yes the Wire is definitely the best I don't think that is contentious.

Oh and forgot The Americans. Another excellent series.
    Yes - the Americans is superbly scripted and acted, and is as much about relationships as about spying. You do have to suspend disbelief as they go about the US killing people, since there isn’t any evidence of the KGB spies and sleepers ever having killed anyone on US soil during the Cold War.
    Well sure, but that just makes me think of a quote I came across recently from Bernard Cornwell on changing details in a historical novel, which boiled down to 'I changed [events] because fictional heroes must be given suitable employment'.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited March 2020
    Blair did not just win a working majority but twice gave the Tories their biggest defeat since 1906 in 1997 and 2001 (and in popular vote terms since 1832) and even in 2005 beat the Tories by more than any Labour leader since Wilson, as the thread header points out, did in 1966.

Blair had a reach to middle ground voters it is very hard to see any Labour leader having for at least another generation, that does not mean Starmer cannot win enough seats to become PM next time but hard to see him getting much of a working majority.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,392
    kle4 said:

That as a Cameroon big of you to acknowledge he did not get what is termed a working majority.
    Also

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Of @Stocky’s list I have seen one series of Fargo and the pilot of Breaking Bad. I might catch up with some of the others after I retire.

Southland
    Top Boy
    This Is Us
    When They See Us
    24 (if dated now)
    The West Wing is great until the end of the Bartlett campaign, everything after that is just okay.

The Wire is probably the best TV show ever made, even if it does get a bit messy towards the end.

Personally, I'd also recommend DS9, it's a great character drama if you can stand star trek. It's not very much like the rest of them.

Yes - the Americans is superbly scripted and acted, and is as much about relationships as about spying. You do have to suspend disbelief as they go about the US killing people, since there isn’t any evidence of the KGB spies and sleepers ever having killed anyone on US soil during the Cold War.
    Well sure, but that just makes me think of a quote I came across recently from Bernard Cornwell on changing details in a historical novel, which boiled down to 'I changed [events] because fictional heroes must be given suitable employment'.
    Sharpe was a great TV show - rewatch it often. Never read the books.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Also

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Southland
    Top Boy
    This Is Us
    When They See Us
    24 (if dated now)

Cameron’s achievement is better than Boris Johnson’s considering where he started as leader sub 200 MPs to PM in just over 4 years, then the first Tory majority for 23 years.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,549
    "The true number of people infected with coronavirus in the UK could be as high as 1.6 million, with over half of those cases outside of London, analysis by health care data experts suggests.

And with a predicted daily growth rate of 20 per cent that figure may now stand at 2.8 million people, just three days after the modelling was carried out, reports The Sunday Telegraph.

Edge Health, a UK health care data analysis company, revealed that while the official figure of coronavirus cases stood at 10,000 on March 26, the company's estimated true figure for infections in the UK was 1,614,505."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8164093/More-1-6million-people-England-infected-coronavirus.html
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    So, can Starmer move far enough to the centre ground to attract Tory voters as Blair did in '97, will the party let him have a second chance if he narrowly fails at the next election, or will he be able to groom a successor to keep out the Corbynites?
  • Options
    isam said:
    This is a combination of virus spread and testing numbers/strategy. Not sure if it's a useful metric.
  • Options
    Rubicon is the tv show I couldn't remember down thread.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/07/rubicon-now-streaming-amc-recommendation.html
  • Options
    FPT, on the subject of what to watch:

On Netflix, there's hundreds of standup comedy specials, one or two a day definitely help keep the spirits up.

Dave Chapelle, Bill Burr, Trevor Noah, Iliza Schlesenger and Anthony Jeselnik being recent highlights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_stand-up_comedy_specials_distributed_by_Netflix

Also, a lot of the late-night comics in the US are 'working from home', streaming on Youtube their monologues and inviting other comics to join remotely. The politics-free Lights Out With David Spade being the highlight among these.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMi38pytm6Ca2KXc7ftlu_w
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

kle4 said:

Also

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Southland
    Top Boy
    This Is Us
    When They See Us
    24 (if dated now)

Cameron’s achievement is better than Boris Johnson’s considering where he started as leader sub 200 MPs to PM in just over 4 years, then the first Tory majority for 23 years.
    Relatedly, I've seen a lot of anyone but Boris types in the party wonder what they were raging against recently (even before the virus got out of hand). Even I've had a moment or two thanking the maker that it's not May and Hammond in charge. I wonder if there's a way back for you?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Also

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Southland
    Top Boy
    This Is Us
    When They See Us
    24 (if dated now)

I do remember one ridiculous comment that criticised Cameron on the basis he should have gotten the number of MPs Boris got in 2010, which would have required over 150+ gains, which while not impossible (Blair got close) is a very high barrier for success.

I'm not convinced Boris in 2010 could have done what Cameron did, nor Cameron in 2019 done what Boris did. Different leaders for different times.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    From previous thread. I missed a show from my original list: This is England.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

kle4 said:

Also

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Southland
    Top Boy
    This Is Us
    When They See Us
    24 (if dated now)

Cameron’s achievement is total failure. Not sure Boris exceeds that yet.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Also

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Southland
    Top Boy
    This Is Us
    When They See Us
    24 (if dated now)

That's why I came across that quote, from the notes at the end of Sharpe's Tiger (about the Siege of Seringatapam), as I own and have read much Cornwell but none of the Sharpe novels, so picked up the first 4-5.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Sandpit said:

So, can Starmer move far enough to the centre ground to attract Tory voters as Blair did in '97, will the party let him have a second chance if he narrowly fails at the next election, or will he be able to groom a successor to keep out the Corbynites?

Starmer will either do a Kinnock in 1992 and narrowly fail but set up a Labour victory the time after, or a Cameron in 2010 and win enough seats to become PM but fail to get a majority and have to do a deal with the LDs, in my view
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Also

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Southland
    Top Boy
    This Is Us
    When They See Us
    24 (if dated now)

Relatedly, I've seen a lot of anyone but Boris types in the party wonder what they were raging against recently (even before the virus got out of hand). Even I've had a moment or two thanking the maker that it's not May and Hammond in charge. I wonder if there's a way back for you?
    Unlikely whilst Boris is leader.

He’s still the guy that lied to the Queen to destroy Parliamentary scrutiny in this country.

Whilst I said he was likely to fiscally incontinent I won’t hold the measures introduced to combat Covid-19 against him it is things like saying we won’t extend the transition when we all know that’s coming.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    edited March 2020
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Also

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Southland
    Top Boy
    This Is Us
    When They See Us
    24 (if dated now)

I was not so much an anyone but Boris as a Boris is a total tosser type.

His admitted strength is that he realises he is way out of his depth and has delegated government to his medical advisers.

Whether this turns out to be the best policy we shall see.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Starmer will either do a Kinnock in 1992 and narrowly fail but set up a Labour victory the time after, or a Cameron in 2010 and win enough seats to become PM but fail to get a majority and have to do a deal with the LDs, in my view
    No, I think he'll do a 1987 Kinnock, slightly improve the Labour lot and stay on as leader.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Stocky said:

Saw the film which was excellent. Sounds like the series is as good.

Have you seen Top Boy?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Also

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Southland
    Top Boy
    This Is Us
    When They See Us
    24 (if dated now)

The books are good, I’ve recently read the first 10 or so (in chronological order in historical terms, not the order they were published) and they’re a good read but do get a bit samey. Much like the Jack Reacher books in that respect.
  • Options
    Has another mentioned Boardwalk Empire?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915

kle4 said:

Also

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Southland
    Top Boy
    This Is Us
    When They See Us
    24 (if dated now)

Do you really believe that or is it a kind of trolling inside joke?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Also

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Southland
    Top Boy
    This Is Us
    When They See Us
    24 (if dated now)

The books are good, I’ve recently read the first 10 or so (in chronological order in historical terms, not the order they were published) and they’re a good read but do get a bit samey. Much like the Jack Reacher books in that respect.
    I did wonder about that - there's something like 20 of them, and there's surely only so many soldier stories to tell.
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

Also

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Southland
    Top Boy
    This Is Us
    When They See Us
    24 (if dated now)

Yes.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Also

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Southland
    Top Boy
    This Is Us
    When They See Us
    24 (if dated now)

His admitted strength is that he realises he is way out of his depth and has delegated government to his medical advisers.

Yes, Boris has demonstrated little leadership over this, just been swept along by events. To be fair events are moving quite quickly nowadays. He is not being a complete dick, like Trump, but that is a pretty low bar.

• Options
    TGOHF666 said:
    No evidence of any slowdown for any country.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:
    On the face of it, that's relatively good news for the UK.

The big caveat is that, even among deaths recorded, there are different methodologies in use in different countries.
  • Options
    The thing I find really difficult about many of the Corbynistas (including the man himself) is the apparent lack of concern over the point made in this article.

Something I hear a lot (from nice people very often) is, "Ah, but he inspired ME". To which one can only respond, "It's not all about you, mate... if you really believe in it yourself, it's about all those less well off people who have a Conservative Government for the foreseeable future".

Labour used to be packed with pragmatists who wouldn't let the best be the enemy of the good - including some privately hard left folk with the sense to know that their view was not a majority one, and the grace to fall in behind something well short of their ideal in order to get things done.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    Afternoon all :)

I'm puzzled as to what constitutes a "working majority" ?

Wilson won a majority in October 1974 as did John Major in 1992 and David Cameron in 2015.

Wilson lost his majority and the Labour Government under Callaghan was ultimately felled by a VoNC in early 1979. Major's Government went pretty much its full term and Cameron's Government could have gon e on until 2020 had the EU referendum not intervened.

May had a majority (except on the not insignificant issue of Brexit) until 2017 when she threw it away.

I'd argue both Major and Cameron won working majorities as well - Wilson arguably not (though in October 1964 he only won by 4).
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182
    edited March 2020
    Stocky said:

The Killing let itself down at the end - too many twists IMO

Spiral is excellent - it wasn`t a remake of The killing though. Spiral was made long before The Killing.

The end of series 1 was great, though, I thought. In fact I really am talking about series 1.

You are right about Spiral. It was made first. So I take that back.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TGOHF666 said:
    That's a linear graph, the slowdown at this stage is measured as decrease in growth of new cases/deaths. In Italy, hopefully we will see an actual drop in new cases from peak numbers in the next couple of days.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,324
    Best telly (with a subtly-hidden theme):
    When Boris Met Dave
    Brexit
    The Long Walk to Finchley
    Churchill's First World War
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Sandpit said:

TGOHF666 said:

The big caveat is that, even among deaths recorded, there are different methodologies in use in different countries.
    At the moment the NHS hasn't crashed. That will be the big differential factor between countries, given we are all pretty much following the same pattern on social distancing measures.

Italy and Spain's system has crashed. Germany has much more capacity, so they have a much higher ceiling before they will run into problems.

We have to hope that our egg-heads have timed things well enough in regards to the measures put in place and that all the extra capacity being built is in place in time.
  • Options

The thing I find really difficult about many of the Corbynistas (including the man himself) is the apparent lack of concern over the point made in this article.

Something I hear a lot (from nice people very often) is, "Ah, but he inspired ME". To which one can only respond, "It's not all about you, mate... if you really believe in it yourself, it's about all those less well off people who have a Conservative Government for the foreseeable future".

Labour used to be packed with pragmatists who wouldn't let the best be the enemy of the good - including some privately hard left folk with the sense to know that their view was not a majority one, and the grace to fall in behind something well short of their ideal in order to get things done.

Question then being if the Tories do not spectacularly self destruct, how many losses would it take before Labour stop waiting for the electorate to come to them and go to the electorate?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

No, I think he'll do a 1987 Kinnock, slightly improve the Labour lot and stay on as leader.
    I reckon closer to 1992 (or 2015) in terms of likely result (a much smaller Con maj), but with the 1987 outcome of him staying on.

Focus need to be on Scotland and working-class northern England.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Also

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Southland
    Top Boy
    This Is Us
    When They See Us
    24 (if dated now)

Yes, Boris has demonstrated little leadership over this, just been swept along by events. To be fair events are moving quite quickly nowadays. He is not being a complete dick, like Trump, but that is a pretty low bar.

Not making any effort to lead by example and follow your own advice, and finish up being the first world leader to catch the virus and still with an outside chance of having infected your own mother, isn’t a great look.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Wilson won a majority in October 1974 as did John Major in 1992 and David Cameron in 2015.

Wilson lost his majority and the Labour Government under Callaghan was ultimately felled by a VoNC in early 1979. Major's Government went pretty much its full term and Cameron's Government could have gon e on until 2020 had the EU referendum not intervened.

May had a majority (except on the not insignificant issue of Brexit) until 2017 when she threw it away.

I'd argue both Major and Cameron won working majorities as well - Wilson arguably not (though in October 1964 he only won by 4).

Working majority >30

Landslide majority >99
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,708
    TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

Saw the film which was excellent. Sounds like the series is as good.

Have you seen Top Boy?
    Top Boy recommended.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

isam said:

kle4 said:

Also

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Southland
    Top Boy
    This Is Us
    When They See Us
    24 (if dated now)

Yes.
    Yes to both?!
  • Options
    edited March 2020

It is a circular argument to some extent. Those that love Corbyn love him for his "ideological purity" on issues (otherwise known as never changed his mind on anything for 40 years), in the way people love Sanders. But the problem is as you correctly I identify, these aren't the majority views.

However, if you diverge from them, then you lose this sizeable group of people who love you because of it and aren't interested in the norms of politics where people try to find a middle way.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Has another mentioned Boardwalk Empire?

I very much enjoyed that series
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    Really, this surely shouldn't have been considered as essential work! It is not as if they have visitors at the moment...

https://twitter.com/ST0NEHENGE/status/1243800025555230720?s=09
  • Options
    stodge said:

It's a fair point. Even a pretty big majority is not enough sometimes, if admittedly only rarely insufficient. And of course depending on SF seats a razor thin majority actually becomes more workable than it would appear at first glance. So is working majority a rough assessment of how big the average awkward squad of MPs in a party is, and thus how big a majority you need to not be beholden to that awkward squad?

In fairness people quibble over what constitutes a landslide as well. Some say Boris has, others not, but it's relatively close.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,324
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Also

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Southland
    Top Boy
    This Is Us
    When They See Us
    24 (if dated now)

Not making any effort to lead by example and follow your own advice, and finish up being the first world leader to catch the virus and still with an outside chance of having infected your own mother, isn’t a great look.
    One of the Boris-at-Eton stories is of his housemaster remarking in his report that Boris felt the normal rules and conventions do not apply to him.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Foxy said:

Really, this surely shouldn't have been considered as essential work! It is not as if they have visitors at the moment...

Sounds like a good time to do work when there's no visitors about, not that visitors are allowed up to the stones anymore I believe. Probably a lot of momuments could have some work done - if not that particular suggestion!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Foxy said:

"The British reversal

A UK critical care doctor on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/fnl0n6/im_a_critical_care_doctor_working_in_a_uk_high/#fla1iq6 wrote a great explanation of their recent about-face on coronavirus strategy.

They say that over the past few years, Britain developed a cutting-edge new strategy for dealing with pandemics by building herd immunity. It was actually really novel and exciting and they were anxious to try it out. When the coronavirus came along, the government plugged its spread rate, death rate, etc into the strategy and got the plan Johnson originally announced. This is why he kept talking about how evidence-based it was and how top scientists said this was the best way to do things.

But other pandemics don’t require ventilators nearly as often as coronavirus does. So the model, which was originally built around flu, didn’t include a term for ventilator shortages. Once someone added that in, the herd immunity strategy went from clever idea to total disaster, and the UK had to perform a disastrous about-face. Something something technocratic hubris vs. complexity of the real world."

https://slatestarcodex.com/

The blog of a liberal US psychiatrist (but not particularly psychiatry focused) with a genius for scraping interesting links off the internet. My TIL today from him is that the technique of giving yourself a tiny bit of virus to make yourself just a little bit ill is called variolation.
  • Options
    Where can we get the number of March 2020 non Covid-19 deaths per country per day?
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

It is a circular argument to some extent. Those that love Corbyn love him for his "ideological purity" on issues (otherwise known as never changed his mind on anything for 40 years), in the way people love Sanders. But the problem is as you correctly I identify, these aren't the majority views.

However, if you diverge from them, then you lose this sizeable group of people who love you because of it and aren't interested in the norms of politics where people try to find a middle way.
    But When you keep presenting it as only choice between the cosy time tested capitalism we do so well or crazy corbyn Marxism like Venezuela, you embarrass yourselves. This virus reveals there is liberal instinct v an authoritarian instinct alive and well throughout the world as much in culture as it is political choice. One example in recent years conservatism is dying, Conservative party’s controlled by non conservatives, siren voices call to the Conservative flock tempting them to stray.

It’s not that all things stand still and stay the same. All the while we stand and we watch the Phoenix boil in her own blood, it slowly changes us tick by tock, slice by slice careful not to betray the journey. To keep and to cultivate all that is good, we need awareness of change, and we need to act.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    edited March 2020

There is massive denial of where they are at the moment. Even justin124 in the previous thread was claiming that while losing in the north Labour now held former Tory strongholds, including Battersea. I lived there many years and it was a Labour marginal for many years under Alf Dubs before becming a Tory marginal for a while in the 90s - back to Labour under Blair, etc. ie never a safe Tory seat.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Though in 1987 the Tories had only been in power 8 years, at the time of the next general election the Tories will have been in power for 14 years.

The Labour voteshare in 2019, though poor was still higher than Kinnock got in 1987 though less than Kinnock got in 1992.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

"The British reversal

A UK critical care doctor on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/fnl0n6/im_a_critical_care_doctor_working_in_a_uk_high/#fla1iq6 wrote a great explanation of their recent about-face on coronavirus strategy.

They say that over the past few years, Britain developed a cutting-edge new strategy for dealing with pandemics by building herd immunity. It was actually really novel and exciting and they were anxious to try it out. When the coronavirus came along, the government plugged its spread rate, death rate, etc into the strategy and got the plan Johnson originally announced. This is why he kept talking about how evidence-based it was and how top scientists said this was the best way to do things.

But other pandemics don’t require ventilators nearly as often as coronavirus does. So the model, which was originally built around flu, didn’t include a term for ventilator shortages. Once someone added that in, the herd immunity strategy went from clever idea to total disaster, and the UK had to perform a disastrous about-face. Something something technocratic hubris vs. complexity of the real world."

The blog of a liberal US psychiatrist (but not particularly psychiatry focused) with a genius for scraping interesting links off the internet. My TIL today from him is that the technique of giving yourself a tiny bit of virus to make yourself just a little bit ill is called variolation.
    You could call it "a disastrous about-face", or you could call it being on top of what is happening on the ground, being flexible in adapting that strategy to take account of those changing conditions, and noting where the critical path of this epidemic lies - in this case, the supply of ventilators.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Not very encouraging when your finance minister commits suicide out of worry.

Hesse, Germany

https://punchng.com/breaking-minister-commits-suicide-over-coronavirus/

One underlying reason why the average German is relatively debt-averse is the strong connotation of the two meanings of the German word "Schuld", i.e. "debt" and "guilt".
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

TGOHF666 said:
    That's a linear graph, the slowdown at this stage is measured as decrease in growth of new cases/deaths. In Italy, hopefully we will see an actual drop in new cases from peak numbers in the next couple of days.
    My maths is crap - but I presume the logarithmic scale best shows the flattening of the curve effect.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    edited March 2020
    Foxy said:

Let's just hope they remembered to move them the right way, eh?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

TGOHF666 said:

At the moment the NHS hasn't crashed. That will be the big differential factor between countries, given we are all pretty much following the same pattern on social distancing measures.

Italy and Spain's system has crashed. Germany has much more capacity, so they have a much higher ceiling before they will run into problems.

We have to hope that our egg-heads have timed things well enough in regards to the measures put in place and that all the extra capacity being built is in place in time.
    Spain's systerm has not crashed - yet. It is close in several AC's but not yet at crash point.
  • Options
    So as Neil Ferguson says we probably need to be locked down until June, I await the screams from the media that this is too long and unsustainable (after they wanted us locked down at the start of March).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Though in 1987 the Tories had only been in power 8 years, at the time of the next general election the Tories will have been in power for 14 years.

The Labour voteshare in 2019, though poor was still higher than Kinnock got in 1987 though less than Kinnock got in 1992.

Would you accept the possibility that if the Conservatives win the 2024 election, albeit with a reduced majority, they will lose in 2029 and perhaps lose heavily (perhaps a 1997 or 1945 style defeat)?

• Options
    kle4 said:

Question then being if the Tories do not spectacularly self destruct, how many losses would it take before Labour stop waiting for the electorate to come to them and go to the electorate?
    Ask Tony Blair and look at his route to power. Hardly anyone in the party now, including SKS, will thank you for telling them though.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    @Foxy Do you know how many ventilators are in use (on average) for non-Covid related emergencies at any one time?

Spain and France both have ~4000 cases in ICU at present, of whom many might need ventilation I guess. At present, we're told we have 8000 ventilators across the UK with more coming. If we, at our maximum, have 4000-5000 cases needing ventilation would we be able to cope?
  • Options

stodge said:

Working majority >30

Landslide majority >99
    Says you. There's no formal definition.

I'd say Major had a working majority in 1992 (gradually eroded and eliminated by by-elections) in that he could be confident of getting the vast majority of his business through, and winning confidence votes, without making deals outside his party (although Maastricht was plainly at considerable effort). Wilson was always shakier from 1974 and, of course, Callaghan had to enter a Lib-Lab pact in 1977.

Equally, "landslide" is a movable feast. I'd credit Johnson with a landslide in November. Whilst "only" 80 seats, it's very hard to see him really struggling on aspects of his agenda (maybe there will be a shock somewhere, but being a whip will be a pretty easy life). This is partly because the margin over the main opposition is very big. Arguably, Blair won a landslide in 2005 with a 66 seat majority - it didn't feel like one in that he was losing quite a few seats, but it was still a big enough majority that he didn't really need to lose too much sleep before votes.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182
    edited March 2020

The 2015 defeat really stung. Decent pragmatic leader, moderate policies, a classic centre/left offering after 5 years of Con/Lib hard times. But -

"No thank you," said the British public. "Here, have 30% of the vote."

That explains some of it.

Also, if the media insist on presenting a Labour leader like Ed Miliband as "Red Ed", and his policies as "Marxist", it begs an obvious question -

Why not give them the real thing?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192

So as Neil Ferguson says we probably need to be locked down until June, I await the screams from the media that this is too long and unsustainable (after they wanted us locked down at the start of March).

Yep. As predictable as the clocks changing.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Forward to the past? or...
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Would you accept the possibility that if the Conservatives win the 2024 election, albeit with a reduced majority, they will lose in 2029 and perhaps lose heavily (perhaps a 1997 or 1945 style defeat)?

Probably, given no party has stayed in government longer than 18 years since Lord Salisbury and Balfour's Tories pre universal suffrage (and the Liberals of course then trounced them in 1906).

There is an argument it would be better for the Tories to narrowly lose the next election and be a strong opposition than narrowly win it and be trounced the time after as in 1997 and be a weak opposition out of power for a generation.

I do not necessarily agree with it but it is there
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,940

The screams will start coming from ordinary people as the redundancies start getting handed out.

Most companies I know are banking on severe recession, reduced demand for the remainder of the year, and greatly slimmed down operations.

The three month furlough will not be nearly enough to save jobs and by June, people will be screaming to get back to work.

A lot of people in formerly comfortable 40-50k office jobs with big mortgages, kids etc will be looking at how much jobseeker's allowance is and will be quietly crapping their pants. People who work in media or who have friends in media. Then the narrative will change. This is "worth it" only so long as it's someone else's livelihood on the line.

Even after the crash I still have significant savings and investments but many people I know who lead apparently wealkthy lifestlyes actually live hand to mouth, have huge debts, and will soon face reality with no money coming in.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,743

Foxy said:

Druidic fundamentalists believe the stones should be set permanently to Stonehenge Mean Time as both GMT and BST are undesirable anachronisms.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    It seems somebody takes even more precautions than our own resident Mr Doomsday...

• Options
    edited March 2020
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

The future, unlike the past, doesn't always follow the old rules. At the moment it is too early to say. SKS will probably get a poll boost but the LDs need to revive as well for the Tories to be in near-term danger. There is no obvious sign of that happening.
  • Options

stodge said:

Working majority >30

Landslide majority >99

I'd say Major had a working majority in 1992 (gradually eroded and eliminated by by-elections) in that he could be confident of getting the vast majority of his business through, and winning confidence votes, without making deals outside his party (although Maastricht was plainly at considerable effort). Wilson was always shakier from 1974 and, of course, Callaghan had to enter a Lib-Lab pact in 1977.

Equally, "landslide" is a movable feast. I'd credit Johnson with a landslide in November. Whilst "only" 80 seats, it's very hard to see him really struggling on aspects of his agenda (maybe there will be a shock somewhere, but being a whip will be a pretty easy life). This is partly because the margin over the main opposition is very big. Arguably, Blair won a landslide in 2005 with a 66 seat majority - it didn't feel like one in that he was losing quite a few seats, but it was still a big enough majority that he didn't really need to lose too much sleep before votes.
    I was following the Institute for Government parameters.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

The 2015 defeat really stung. Decent pragmatic leader, moderate policies, a classic centre/left offering after 5 years of Con/Lib hard times. But -

Also, if the media insist on presenting a Labour leader like Ed Miliband as "Red Ed", and his policies as "Marxist", it begs an obvious question -

I think a similar thing explains the Conservatives going from Hague to IDS in 2001 - a feeling that you may as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb. Unlike Labour, they got cold feet.

Instinctively, Starmer feels like Howard to me. Not particularly likable, but competent and serious. Probably not the one, but very possibly the one before the one.
  • Options

It seems somebody takes even more precautions than our own resident Mr Doomsday...

Well, if you've got an industrial respirator to hand, why the hell not use it!
  • Options
    I can't see how this will end well for India.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6439aOtzEWs
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Also

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

Southland
    Top Boy
    This Is Us
    When They See Us
    24 (if dated now)

One of the Boris-at-Eton stories is of his housemaster remarking in his report that Boris felt the normal rules and conventions do not apply to him.
    Given the history of his life since then, all that tells us is that Boris possessed an accurate sense of self-awareness from a young age... :wink:
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803

I've thought all the way along it would be three months of lock down from March to June so wouldn't be a surprise to me.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    DavidL said:

Stocky said:

Virus testing: can someone clarify please?

People are lining up to criticise the government regarding testing numbers and who it tests. Yet there was a medical officer on the radio this morning sayng that testing is not effective unless some symptoms are showing.

If this is correct, what is the point of testing? Testing someone who hasn`t got symptoms will not produce accurate results. Testing someone who has virus symptoms is pointless because the symptoms already show that they have it.

I must be missing something.

Its the same problem with frontline NHS staff. They are tested and cleared. For how long? When do you test them again? How often do you test them again? What do you do each time a test is pending?

A test is a point in time. That's all. The presence of antibodies will be much, much more significant.
    Unless we're going down the "herd immunity" aka uncontained route with its massive death toll, testing will need to be for absence of infection. Testing only for antibody would be discriminatory and positive in too few cases to be useful on its own. As others pointed out here last night antibody testing could offer perverse incentives to get yourself infected.

In short, constant testing is the only way we can get back to something like normal, absent a vaccine, I believe.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

"The British reversal

Yes this sounds accurate. Four weeks ago on here I was saying their modelling was likely to have some key baseline assumptions which were false. That they couldn't see the wood for the trees etc.

There will be an almighty row about those mistakes once this is all done because it delayed the necessary prep-work that could have been done in February. But for now the focus should be on the next battle.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kinabalu said:

And so the whole turbulent history of the last 5 years boils down to the fact that Labour members couldn't believe the British public rejected the great god Ed Miliband, and petulantly threw their toys out of the pram as a consequence?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I heard on US tv yesterday, apparently there only 12 companies in the world that make ventilators at any sort of scale.
  • Options

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6439aOtzEWs

I'm pretty sure I said months ago that India would end up being the worst country affected by this, if it took hold there. There's way too many people for the area, millions living in shanty towns and no concept of personal space at all.
  • Options

stodge said:

Working majority >30

Landslide majority >99

And what are they basing it on?

In spite of the rather pompous name, the Institute for Government is just a think tank.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Sandpit said:

I'm pretty sure I said months ago that India would end up being the worst country affected by this, if it took hold there. There's way too many people for the area, millions living in shanty towns and no concept of personal space at all.
    So many other factors going against them. The state and regional governance isn't exactly known for its ability in organisation, poor education, lack of proper records of citizens.

They have the population of China, without the might of a massive authoritarian machine that is ruthless and can be extremely efficient in directing the machinery of the state / business to do as required at the drop of a hat.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256

I heard on US tv yesterday, apparently there only 12 companies in the world that make ventilators at any sort of scale.

Who needs a giant ventilator, though? ;)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    edited March 2020

stodge said:

Working majority >30

Landslide majority >99

And what are they basing it on?

In spite of the rather pompous name, the Institute for Government is just a think tank.
    Based on things like being able to pass major budgets and Queen's Speech etc and general legislation.

So on that basis Major's majority wasn't a working majority.
  • Options

Based on things like being able to pass major budgets and Queen's Speech etc and general legislation.

So on that basis Majors' majority wasn't a working majority.

On that basis Cameron's was after 2015?

• Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,239
    Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

"The British reversal

You could call it "a disastrous about-face", or you could call it being on top of what is happening on the ground, being flexible in adapting that strategy to take account of those changing conditions, and noting where the critical path of this epidemic lies - in this case, the supply of ventilators.
    Yes credit for quickly abandoning the let-it-spread strategy, but I think it was always a bad idea. At least people here in Germany who have more expertise than me were getting quite angry about British policy (as reported here), before the lock down.

I'd like to say German media don't especially have an ax to grind in terms of British politics, traditionally they are quite pro-British it seems to me, but the UK's reputation has taken a big dive in recent years. And Johnson in particular is, understandably, widely despised. So there might be an element of unwillingness to give the UK government the benefit of the doubt in the way it's been reported.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

So many other factors going against them. The state and regional governance isn't exactly known for its ability in organisation, poor education, lack of proper records of citizens.

They have the population of China, without the might of a massive authoritarian machine that is ruthless and can be extremely efficient in directing the machinery of the state / business to do as required at the drop of a hat.
    Precisely. No matter whether we believe the Chinese numbers, China is unique in being able to take the actions they did. India has little effective governance and state security apparatus.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    According to Michael Gove the reason why the UK is testing less than other countries is that it's all the fault of the Chinese. I was wondering why other countries have overtaken us in the amount of testing.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/29/michael-gove-appears-to-blame-china-over-lack-of-uk-coronavirus-testing
  • Options
    stodge said:

So on that basis Majors' majority wasn't a working majority.

On that basis Cameron's was after 2015?

We will never know, that Parliament didn't last two years.
  • Options
    Government has placed order for 10,000 ventilators to be made by Ford, Airbus and Rolls-Royce in fight against coronavirus

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8164853/Ford-Airbus-Rolls-Royce-help-build-10-000-Covid-19-ventilators-NHS.html

That's great and all...so we get the 30,000, but when? We are going to at peak in 2-3 weeks.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    FPT

Ok another question...best 1-2 season tv show that got cut too, but was actually really good....

A couple of Joss Whedon shows, Firefly (1 season) and Dollhouse (2 seasons)

Utopia (2 seasons) Maybe on Channel 4 catchup?

Carnivale (2 seasons)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

kinabalu said:

And so the whole turbulent history of the last 5 years boils down to the fact that Labour members couldn't believe the British public rejected the great god Ed Miliband, and petulantly threw their toys out of the pram as a consequence?
    Indeed. People who describe Red Ed as "moderate" do so in contrast to Jeremy Corbyn. Had Red Ed won then the idea of "why not give them the real thing" may have worked. But he didn't and it didn't.

Kinabalu still hasn't come to terms with the fact that Ed was literally laughed at when he claimed Labour didn't overspend. Rather than learn the lesson, they went for Corbyn and claimed to win the argument! Labour need a leader more moderate than Red Ed.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    edited March 2020
    Andy_JS said:

"The true number of people infected with coronavirus in the UK could be as high as 1.6 million, with over half of those cases outside of London, analysis by health care data experts suggests.

And with a predicted daily growth rate of 20 per cent that figure may now stand at 2.8 million people, just three days after the modelling was carried out, reports The Sunday Telegraph.

Edge Health, a UK health care data analysis company, revealed that while the official figure of coronavirus cases stood at 10,000 on March 26, the company's estimated true figure for infections in the UK was 1,614,505."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8164093/More-1-6million-people-England-infected-coronavirus.html

If we have 1000 deaths then assuming a 1% mortality rate that is 100,000 infections. Since deaths must occur after infection and symptons appear, you can work backward - the lockdown started a week ago. If it takes 10 days to die and 11 to develop symptons then that is 21 days "inbuilt" to the system.
    If we assume doubling every 3 days pre lockdown then we've got 15 days of pre-lockdown lag to deal with on an exponential growth pattern. Say 3 days to double in this phase, that's 5 "doublings" past 100,000.

100 -> 200 -> 400 -> 800 -> 1.6 million infected pre-lockdown. Then 6 days of slower growth % wise to get to 2.3 million.
This discussion has been closed.