Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tuesday is the 54th anniversary the last time a Labour leader

Comments

• Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Looking at positive test result numbers on a local news website, Leeds has 113 and Sheffield has 387. The article says "it is understood one reason for the high count in Sheffield is that it is a testing area". No further details but this suggests some random population testing being done in selected areas.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    MaxPB said:

eadric said:

tlg86 said:

Time for another tedious update from me. Writing this crap is helping me, so please indulge me...

So, my Amazon order for CCS Foot Cream arrived today. Some PBers will recall that I recommended it for dry hands.

After that, I went to close the gate and spotted nine people and one dog in the lane. One pair appeared to be together but were staying 2m apart.

I’ve come across a few couples keeping their distance like that, completely stupid and it’s a pain when they don’t feel inclined to get into single file to let you pass.
    Long local walk with the dog today - the only person I saw was a neon lycra-clad cyclist who shot past about 2 feet from me.

Some things never change.

Ditto. Is there something about jogging and cycling which makes joggers and cyclists uniquely selfish?
    The two groups I justifiably resent are joggers and supermarket trolly users.
    I've noticed that they are getting rid of baskets and the big trolleys at the supermarkets, the standard sized trolley is becoming standard. I think mostly because it forces separation.
    Not with many of the idiots I see use them.

And using a basket makes you much more manoeuvrable.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    In these dark times....a bit of light...

https://twitter.com/SkyCricket/status/1244335768329486336?s=20
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    HYUFD said:
    I just don't understand how this is acceptable. Or even possible.

Not HYUFD - Donald Trump.

How can this be the US president?
  • Options
    Spain restricts travel to/for work to essential sectors. Bizarrely this includes dry cleaners. https://english.elpais.com/politics/2020-03-29/cabinet-agrees-to-hibernate-spanish-economy-in-bid-to-avoid-overload-of-hospitals.html
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    MattW said:

@CycleFree Gardening Corner

Today's Q (5).

I have a good contrasting display at the front, including a corkscrew hazel, pyracantha, copper beech and variegated holly. I also have an unknown one with dark bark and leaves ... but what is is? I would guess at an Osier. Any ideas?

Thanks

https://twitter.com/mattwardman/status/1244291349257637893

I have already replied privately to you. I am pretty certain that it is a dogwood.

What you must do now is cut it right back to a few inches from the ground. You could maybe cut back a third or a quarter of the stems if you want some of the leaves. But the big advantage of cutting back is that this winter the new stems will be much darker and redder and therefore the whole plant will give you some much needed colour in winter. If you want to be bold cut the whole thing down.

Dogwoods are fine as large bushes but the real reason for planting them is their fiery winter stems and the more mature the plant the less fiery they get. Hence the need to prune at least a third of the stems every year.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

He is what they wanted (under the system they have not chosen to change), they could have had no surprises what he would be like. And they might choose him again.

A man so childish, vain and thin skinned is what they wanted for some reason.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:
    I am not sure Liz thinks its mutual friendship.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,274
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Thought it was coping OK with quarantine.

Then I caught myself thinking, "Maybe I should watch The Phantom Menace"

Seriously worried now

Rather that than Rise of Skywalker. That was a giant turd.
    Could have been worse still. Could have been The Last Jedi.
    Rise of Skywalker was the worst of the sequel trilogy by a long way. Even the Last Jedi, crap as it was, had three well-defined story arcs.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

eadric said:

tlg86 said:

Time for another tedious update from me. Writing this crap is helping me, so please indulge me...

So, my Amazon order for CCS Foot Cream arrived today. Some PBers will recall that I recommended it for dry hands.

After that, I went to close the gate and spotted nine people and one dog in the lane. One pair appeared to be together but were staying 2m apart.

I’ve come across a few couples keeping their distance like that, completely stupid and it’s a pain when they don’t feel inclined to get into single file to let you pass.
    Long local walk with the dog today - the only person I saw was a neon lycra-clad cyclist who shot past about 2 feet from me.

Ditto. Is there something about jogging and cycling which makes joggers and cyclists uniquely selfish?
    The two groups I justifiably resent are joggers and supermarket trolly users.
    I've noticed that they are getting rid of baskets and the big trolleys at the supermarkets, the standard sized trolley is becoming standard. I think mostly because it forces separation.
    And discourages buying stuff in bulk!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Scott_xP said:

Seriously worried now

It's not actually as bad as I remembered it.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

Spain restricts travel to/for work to essential sectors. Bizarrely this includes dry cleaners. https://english.elpais.com/politics/2020-03-29/cabinet-agrees-to-hibernate-spanish-economy-in-bid-to-avoid-overload-of-hospitals.html

Spain has purchased 1500 ventilators from china
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

It’s what’s happening, China has put the world in lockdown and has now reopened its factories.

And will find the world closed to its goods
    Clearly not if you are buying a pulse oximetry on amazon!
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Seriously worried now

Rise of Skywalker was the worst of the sequel trilogy by a long way. Even the Last Jedi, crap as it was, had three well-defined story arcs.
    True, unfortunately. Even TLJ has a few moments to make me smile, but RoS was mostly just a bit cringe-making, eye-rolling, and mediocre.

And Star Wars should never be mediocre.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    Thanks to all for your TV and film recommendations.

I have to say that I have not heard of most them so it will be an adventure. They strike me - just from the titles - as quite male-oriented. I am betting I won’t be seeing many bonnets.

Anyway, perhaps I could set up a Critics corner to go with my Gardening one. A review a decade late of TV programmes everyone else has seen ........

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,268

Should I be worried that the lockdown is making me agree with Piers Morgan?

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1244337616952188931

Obviously.
  • Options

It took them until today?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Freggles said:

Scott_xP said:

Seriously worried now

It does have the serious merit of having inspired the best deconstructive review in the history of the genre, by a certain Mr. Plinkett:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI
  • Options
    edited March 2020

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Seriously worried now

True, unfortunately. Even TLJ has a few moments to make me smile, but RoS was mostly just a bit cringe-making, eye-rolling, and mediocre.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Cyclefree said:

I have to say that I have not heard of most them so it will be an adventure. They strike me - just from the titles - as quite male-oriented. I am betting I won’t be seeing many bonnets.

Anyway, perhaps I could set up a Critics corner to go with my Gardening one. A review a decade late of TV programmes everyone else has seen ........

Try Highlander - series not film

My friends give me a hard time for being hooked on this - not my usual viewing it has to be said....

I suggested it to a female work colleague and she is really enjoying it now.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Reckon it’s possible to make predictions now.

The major Western European nations will record between 20-40,000 deaths in this ‘first wave’ of corona. Germany might do slightly better.

That’s brutal, and grim, but not the apocalypse

The big questions will then be, how do we deal with a 2nd wave in the winter?

And: what can we learn from Sweden. They seem determined to pursue herd immunity, to preserve the economy.

If they suffer no more than elsewhere, that’s an epochal argument

So not the 2 million deaths you were hyperventilating over last week?
    What the F. That was always the extreme worst case scenario.

The REASONABLE worst case scenario was 500,000 dead, if the health system crashed

And remember this is 20-40k in the FIRST WAVE. Spanish flu was more lethal when it came back for a second bite. We need a vaccine.
    Spanish flu was influenza, not a coronavirus.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,287
    edited March 2020
    Boris releases video.

Fair play to him under the circumstances
  • Options
    Today I watched a true masterpiece of cinema and storytelling: Mulan.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    edited March 2020
    Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

My friends give me a hard time for being hooked on this - not my usual viewing it has to be said....

Black sails and Vikings I found to be enjoyable for sci fi buffs the expanse
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204
    edited March 2020

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Seriously worried now

The problem was it was trying to undo the damage done by The Last Jedi. As a result, it felt like really bad fan fiction (or perhaps “Terry Pratchett’s” novels Unseen Academicals, I Shall Wear Midnight, Raising Steam and The Shepherd’s Crown would be better parallels).

But yes, you’re right, it was bloody awful.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Seriously worried now

ITV actually showed The Force Awakens this afternoon!
  • Options

Boris releases video.

Link?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Seriously worried now

No it couldn't be. It was a complete pile of shite.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Cyclefree said:

Belgravia is good, on now, if you like bonnets. ITV every Sunday. Episode 3 tonight. Catch up on ITV hub.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Seriously worried now

ITV actually showed The Force Awakens this afternoon!
    I’ve got that on DVD. Not the others though.
  • Options

Boris releases video.

Link?
    Just watched it on Sky breaking news
  • Options
    Foxy said:

100% Muslim in that sample by the look of it.
    Yes, there was a tweet from a Muslim group naming them all as members of that faith.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Seriously worried now

The problem was it was trying to undo the damage done by The Last Jedi. As a result, it felt like really bad fan fiction (or perhaps “Terry Pratchett’s” novels Unseen Academicals, I Shall Wear Midnight, Raising Steam and The Shepherd’s Crown would be better parallels).

'Bad fan fiction' is an excellent way of putting it. The last two films really squandered the potential of TFA, which though not perfect is the only successor film to have approached the quality of the original trilogy, and which provided a foundation on which something great could have been built. Sigh.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

Black sails and Vikings I found to be enjoyable for sci fi buffs the expanse
    Vikings I enjoyed - not taken by Black Sales

My other guilty pleasure right now is Shameless USA... I should hate it but ......
  • Options
    edited March 2020

twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1244339182690066433?s=09

He isn't looking very well.
  • Options

Oh, is he ill?? ........
  • Options

I agree but he is hanging in there
  • Options

Please hurry up and get better, Johnson. Your country needs you, if only to stop Dominic Raab becoming PM.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,979
    I haven't seen The Last Jedi, but I have seen The Rise of Skywalker.

And RoS was utter shit. Complete garbage. I was bored throughout.

The Force Awaken, that I enjoyed.

Rise of Skwalker. I think that might very well be the worst Star Wars movie ever. Worse even that The Phantom Menace.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Oh, is he ill?? ........
    I think the video shows he is not well
  • Options
    Interesting end to the video..."shows there is such thing as society".
  • Options
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    edited March 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Of my ones, the historical dramas Ekaterina, White Queen and White Princess have strong female leads, Outlander was clearly written for (and by a) women, Monk is light-hearted unisex with a female lead supporting character, and the Spiral police team is led by another strong female character. The Americans is as much about the dynamics of a marriage and a family as about spying. The Bridge has a female lead. The Ambassador who stars in that named series is a woman (Pauline Collins).

Fauda, Vikings, and possibly The Bureau are of male appeal.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:
    The governmental elite have some sort of weird love affair with China that the rest of us simply don't understand.
    It's no surprise that the funny banana holder is doing Beijing's bidding.

There's a reason he never became Labour leader.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Oh, is he ill?? ........
    I think he is just knackered from hiding all the bodies (or something like that according to twitter).
  • Options
    Probably tomorrow, New York case numbers will overtake Germany.
  • Options
    Hancock also has put out a message, he seems fine. Especially as that man doesn't appear to sleep.
  • Options
    eadric said:

tlg86 said:

Yeah. Sense of superiority that they're exercising and therefore healthier and better with you.

Possible that they're pumped full of adrenaline and testosterone too which makes them more aggressive.
  • Options

It seems to be that you don’t really know whether you will get the serious illness for a week or so after the first symptoms appear?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:
    The governmental elite have some sort of weird love affair with China that the rest of us simply don't understand.
    No, it’s realpolitik.
    Except the ones actually doing the politik - rather than venting on Twitter when they're not pushing paper in their NGO non-job - are saying there's going to be at reckoning for China after this.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8163767/amp/Downing-Street-says-China-faces-reckoning-coronavirus.html?__twitter_impression=true
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It seems to be that you don’t really know whether you will get the serious illness for a week or so after the first symptoms appear?
    Well the common pattern seems to be those that show symptoms are sick with what is akin to flu for a week and then start to feel better. Most people then just recover, a small percentage go south very quickly.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

Scott_xP said:

Seriously worried now

You know it has got really bad when you feel like watching the Hans Solo movie. And definitely call 999 if you feel an urge to listen to Radiohead live at Glastonbury.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d9S5FCThro

• Options
    DavidL said:
    Boris gets a bit of respect for me for soldering on and being notably chipper despite obviously being unwell.

That's leadership. Like him or not.
  • Options

He doesn’t normally refer to himself in third person (twice) - that one written by someone else?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    He should not be working. I’ve seen plough through do themselves serious harm.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    edited March 2020
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Seriously worried now

I liked it. Solo is the only one of any of the movies, even the Prequel trilogy, which was just completely Meh.
  • Options

DavidL said:
    Boris gets a bit of respect for me for soldering on and being notably chipper despite obviously being unwell.

Yes but I did note @Foxy saying that when you got this it was very important to rest up and give your body every chance.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    DavidL said:
    I doubt he is getting much rest.
  • Options

DavidL said:

It’s foolish if he’s got the bug. He should rest, give his body the best chance, and not take risks.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Seriously worried now

It's problem was not trying to undo the 'damage' of The Last Jedi, it was being terrified of the butthurt fanboys who got upset about things in The Last Jedi (as opposed to those who simply had criticisms of it) so it took no risks, got into a bit of a mess trying to pander even more than usual without building on what could have been. But for all that it was satisfying and, like all the new trilogy, much better acted than the original trilogy.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Andy_JS said:
    Another politician gets himself in trouble by posting on Twitter......
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

It’s foolish if he’s got the bug. He should rest, give his body the best chance, and not take risks.
    I don't disagree, but in all honesty, we don't know if he is working or not. Putting on a suit and doing a bit to camera for 5 mins might be the extent of what he has done for days.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

He doesn’t normally refer to himself in third person (twice) - that one written by someone else?
    He's quoting a positive review/commentary about himself, which he often does.
  • Options
    DavidL said:
    Well working hard will do that to you, particular when not 100%, but PM', though not to be worked to death, will be expected to work hard given the privilege of their position.

Still, if he is working from home he should dress like people working from home, in jogging bottoms and an old t-shirt.
  • Options
    The only good Star Wars film in the last 30 years was the force awakens, the rest were poor. Star Wars, if it is anything, should be exciting, escapist fun. The force awakens had some of that mojo.
  • Options
    I really don't know how technology companies get valued, as some really stupid ones have been worth astronomical amounts.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

If Boris wants to video message the nation and is not endangering anyone then I see no problem with it
    This is above politics
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

@CycleFree Gardening Corner

Today's Q (5).

I have a good contrasting display at the front, including a corkscrew hazel, pyracantha, copper beech and variegated holly. I also have an unknown one with dark bark and leaves ... but what is is? I would guess at an Osier. Any ideas?

Thanks

https://twitter.com/mattwardman/status/1244291349257637893

I have already replied privately to you. I am pretty certain that it is a dogwood.

What you must do now is cut it right back to a few inches from the ground. You could maybe cut back a third or a quarter of the stems if you want some of the leaves. But the big advantage of cutting back is that this winter the new stems will be much darker and redder and therefore the whole plant will give you some much needed colour in winter. If you want to be bold cut the whole thing down.

Dogwoods are fine as large bushes but the real reason for planting them is their fiery winter stems and the more mature the plant the less fiery they get. Hence the need to prune at least a third of the stems every year.
    Looks like dogwood (Cornus). Lots of cultivars with different colour bark in winter. Some with variagated foliage flowers are not the stongest point of these.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:
    Well working hard will do that to you, particular when not 100%, but PM', though not to be worked to death, will be expected to work hard given the privilege of their position.

Still, if he is working from home he should dress like people working from home, in jogging bottoms and an old t-shirt.
    I know another regular WFHer that insists on wearing a suit every day, regardless of if he is skyping with clients. He won't start working until he has showered and fully suited and booted. Says it puts him in the right mindset that this is work time.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

I don't disagree, but in all honesty, we don't know if he is working or not. Putting on a suit and doing a bit to camera for 5 mins might be the extent of what he has done for days.
    Why even the suit? It’s daft. Especially for Boris. The tie seems to strangle him at one point.

He should go to bed and leave it to Gove/Raab or ideally Hunt.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    We're all zoomers now.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

If Boris wants to video message the nation and is not endangering anyone then I see no problem with it
    This is above politics
    Eh? He’s not doing himself or the country any favours by working and secondarily not exactly setting a good example. If you are ill, rest. Coronavirus is not something to plough through.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Scott_xP said:

Seriously worried now

It really isn't. It's definitely not a good movie for some very well documented reasons, but memory has really been twisted on that one. Genuinely terrible movies are not watchable, except in a 'so bad it is good' sense for a select few. But the Prequel Trilogy are all watchable without purely being in a morbid sense.

I maintain there's 1 good movie altogether combining the best bits of the prequel trilogy, 2 good movies combining the best bits of the sequel trilogy, 2.5 good movies combining the best bits of the original trilogy, and 1 good movie from the two side stories (being 90% of Rogue One and 10% Solo)
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,939

It’s what’s happening, China has put the world in lockdown and has now reopened its factories.

Not deliberately.
    Can you explain the incredibly low number of cases in Beijing and Shanghai compared to the rest of the world ?
    There has been some commentary on this today from journalists trying to get into China. They run through the extraordinary health security systems they have to pass through to even get to China and then, after all that including a 14 day quarantine once they get there, they are still not allowed to go to Beijing. It appears the Chinese have done the equivalent of closing down access to Beijing from outside completely.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,581

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:
    No, it’s realpolitik.
    Except the ones actually doing the politik - rather than venting on Twitter when they're not pushing paper in their NGO non-job - are saying there's going to be at reckoning for China after this.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8163767/amp/Downing-Street-says-China-faces-reckoning-coronavirus.html?__twitter_impression=true
    Perhaps.
    Looks a lot like posturing to me, though.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,450
    Jonathan said:

The only good Star Wars film in the last 30 years was the force awakens, the rest were poor. Star Wars, if it is anything, should be exciting, escapist fun. The force awakens had some of that mojo.

I’m a bit ambivalent to it. I thought it was an entertaining watch but I couldn’t get over how much they basically lifted from A New Hope.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I know another regular WFHer that insists on wearing a suit every day, regardless of if he is skyping with clients. He won't start working until he has showered and fully suited and booted. Says it puts him in the right mindset that this is work time.
    I bet he doesn't do his own ironing!
  • Options

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I can believe it, I did a couple of days last week myself, but for Boris? IDK, as Jonathon notes about his tie, he actually might be more dapper than he usually is!
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,939
    kle4 said:

Freggles said:

Scott_xP said:

Seriously worried now

It really isn't. It's definitely not a good movie for some very well documented reasons, but memory has really been twisted on that one. Genuinely terrible movies are not watchable, except in a 'so bad it is good' sense for a select few. But the Prequel Trilogy are all watchable without purely being in a morbid sense.

I maintain there's 1 good movie altogether combining the best bits of the prequel trilogy, 2 good movies combining the best bits of the sequel trilogy, 2.5 good movies combining the best bits of the original trilogy, and 1 good movie from the two side stories (being 90% of Rogue One and 10% Solo)
    Nah, Solo was an excellent film. Both the side films are first class and better than any of the Prequels or Sequels. Rogue 1 may well be the second best film in the whole series.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

This is above politics
    Eh? He’s not doing himself or the country any favours by working and secondarily not exactly setting a good example. If you are ill, rest. Coronavirus is not something to plough through.
    I think any reasonable person would say if Boris wants to do a few minutes video and complies with isolation then why not. If he becomes too unwell then he will not be able to do it
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,581

Not deliberately.
    Can you explain the incredibly low number of cases in Beijing and Shanghai compared to the rest of the world ?
    There has been some commentary on this today from journalists trying to get into China. They run through the extraordinary health security systems they have to pass through to even get to China and then, after all that including a 14 day quarantine once they get there, they are still not allowed to go to Beijing. It appears the Chinese have done the equivalent of closing down access to Beijing from outside completely.
    Also they don’t count asymptomatic positive tests.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    We talked tv shows earlier...if people are looking for a game to waste away hours, Cities : Skylines is only £4.59 on steam for the next few days and the add-ons are also massively reduced.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kle4 said:

Freggles said:

Scott_xP said:

Seriously worried now

Tangentially, would I enjoy Star Trek - Wrath of Khan? Never seen a Star Trek movie, enjoyed the tv series when it was originally broadcast.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

Why even the suit? It’s daft. Especially for Boris. The tie seems to strangle him at one point.

He should go to bed and leave it to Gove/Raab or ideally Hunt.
    If I thought you genuinely care for Boris health I may think more of your posts
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,746

Andy_JS said:
    Another politician gets himself in trouble by posting on Twitter......
    Looks more like London than South Wales.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,592
    edited March 2020
    "Boris Johnson's government is reportedly furious with China and believes it could have 40 times more coronavirus cases than it claims

UK government officials say there'll be "reckoning" for China over its handling of the coronavirus.
    It has accused of China of spreading disinformation and lying about the number of cases it has.
    Scientists have reportedly warned Johnson that China could have up to 40 times more cases than it says.
    It could prompt the prime minister to abandon his deal with Chinese telecomms company, Huawei."

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-boris-johnsons-government-reportedly-furious-with-china-2020-3?r=US&IR=T
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

He is what they wanted (under the system they have not chosen to change), they could have had no surprises what he would be like. And they might choose him again.

A man so childish, vain and thin skinned is what they wanted for some reason.
    The American pundit class is filled with people who thought he would pivot to the centre or the solemn probity of the mantle of President would moderate him. They continue to be fools.
  • Options

We talked tv shows earlier...if people are looking for a game to waste away hours, Cities : Skylines is only £4.59 on steam for the next few days and the add-ons are also massively reduced.

Yes, sorting out the traffic jams is hours of fun, for those that enjoy that sort of thing.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I haven't seen The Last Jedi, but I have seen The Rise of Skywalker.

And RoS was utter shit. Complete garbage. I was bored throughout.

The Force Awaken, that I enjoyed.

Rise of Skwalker. I think that might very well be the worst Star Wars movie ever. Worse even that The Phantom Menace.

The thing with RoS is that is, with its "Palpatine didn't die, really" narrative, it completely undid the sacrifice/redemption of Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker in The Return of the Jedi.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

Freggles said:

Scott_xP said:

Seriously worried now

Tangentially, would I enjoy Star Trek - Wrath of Khan? Never seen a Star Trek movie, enjoyed the tv series when it was originally broadcast.
    I'm the worst person to ask, as I think that one is overrated, which is very against the consensus opinion.

It is a good movie though, and I haven't even seen the original series.

As a TNG man First Contact was probably my favourite, though I've a soft spot for the comedic IV - the voyage home.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kle4 said:

I really don't know how technology companies get valued, as some really stupid ones have been worth astronomical amounts.
    Zoom currently has revenue and American airlines do not.

Zoom is head and shoulders the best videoconferencing software out there.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,929

Rogue 1 may well be the second best film in the whole series.

I want to see the cut that didn't make it
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

Freggles said:

Scott_xP said:

Seriously worried now

It’s generally regarded as the best of the movies. I love it. It’s the final showdown with the bad guys has the claustrophobic tension of a submarine action, very unlike your normal space battles.
This discussion has been closed.