Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Michigan Governor, Gretchen Whitmer, the woman who’s got under

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Michigan Governor, Gretchen Whitmer, the woman who’s got under Trump’s skin, moves up in the Dem VP betting

One of the features of the coronavirus crisis is that we are hearing a lot more from some American state governors. We’ve already seen the developments relating to Andrew Cuomo of New York and another one whose role in the crisis is getting a fair degree of national coverage is Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan.

Read the full story here

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    First.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    edited March 2020
    Second.

Currently on furlough from betting, unfortunately.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,880
    In to 12.5/1 now. Not sure that's value to be honest.
    Laying Hilary Clinton at 36 probably is (and is a nice cover for the horror scenario of her becoming the Dem nominee).
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,563
    Another interesting apparent advantage of some of the Asian economies...

‘Jobs for life’ in South Korea and Japan to cushion virus blow
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/03/30/business/economy-business/jobs-for-life-south-korea-japan-coronavirus/
    A longtime thorn for businesses and productivity in Japan and South Korea is set to prove a bulwark for those economies as the coronavirus threatens millions of jobs around the world.

Mass layoffs are frowned upon and labor laws make it hard for employers to fire workers in the two North Asian nations, helping keep jobless rates low. In February — even as virus cases spread — South Korea’s unemployment rate dropped to 3.3 percent while Japan’s is set to hold at 2.4 percent, according to economists surveyed ahead of data due Tuesday.

Although less than before, lifetime employment remains a hallmark of corporate cultures in both countries, with employees at the likes of Samsung Electronics Co., Sony Corp., Hyundai Motor Co. and Panasonic Corp. among beneficiaries. During the 2008-2009 financial crisis, both countries reported much lower jobless rates than the U.S. and eurozone, helping lay the groundwork for their economic recoveries....
  • FPT:
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    *sigh* If Fox News goes pop as a result of being Sued to Death after deliberately lying, the supporters of Trump will simply blame the librul elite. Its their God Given Right to be lied to etc etc.

We aren't that far behind. There are some absolute tools out there, harrumphing away with their scarlet faces desperately blaming their personal bogeymen to try and hide their sense of inadequacy. People have decided what the facts are and aren't going to stop passing off their opinions as facts no matter how flat-earther they look.
    The only people likely to have been misled are the supporters of Trump.
    Are they likely to sue ?

If so, they are not going to be blaming the 'liberal elite'.
    My point was that Trump supporters WANT to be misled. They won't be the ones taking legal action, it will be the companies who have been hit by massive costs as a result of death and disruption caused by Fox. And if Fox goes away the crazies will go even crazier now that their "truth" has been suppressed.
    edited March 2020

FPT:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    *sigh* If Fox News goes pop as a result of being Sued to Death after deliberately lying, the supporters of Trump will simply blame the librul elite. Its their God Given Right to be lied to etc etc.

We aren't that far behind. There are some absolute tools out there, harrumphing away with their scarlet faces desperately blaming their personal bogeymen to try and hide their sense of inadequacy. People have decided what the facts are and aren't going to stop passing off their opinions as facts no matter how flat-earther they look.
    Are they likely to sue ?

My point was that Trump supporters WANT to be misled. They won't be the ones taking legal action, it will be the companies who have been hit by massive costs as a result of death and disruption caused by Fox. And if Fox goes away the crazies will go even crazier now that their "truth" has been suppressed.
    How many companies can credibly claim to have been misled by Fox ?

Imagine the discovery process. Any director motivated to sue them would probably be on record somewhere as criticising them for bullshit, going back years.

And the 1st Amendment makes it extremely likely it would be a losing case, anyway.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    Every physical contract in the world is going to pretty much under Force Majeure right now.
    Fucked.
  • FPT:

Malmesbury said:
    » show previous quotes
    You are thinking of Pearl Harbour

Midway was the battle where the Japanese lost all the carriers deployed - most of their front line carrier strength. Which ensured they lost the war a year earlier, if nothing else.

Of course! Silly me.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,608

FPT:

Malmesbury said:
    » show previous quotes
    You are thinking of Pearl Harbour

Midway was the battle where the Japanese lost all the carriers deployed - most of their front line carrier strength. Which ensured they lost the war a year earlier, if nothing else.

Of course! Silly me.

The models stated that he would lose his carriers if the Americans did something inconvenient. Like fight back. As Herman Kahn observed, enemies are like that - always doing the most annoying thing possible.....

Another favourite was in the Royal Navy in 30s - during an exercise, the umpires ruled that an R class battleship, hit by *8* aerial torpedos would only lose 30% of it's speed.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

FPT:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Are they likely to sue ?

They don't want to be misled.

They are convinced that Fox is "fair and balanced" and it is the rest of the media is distorted.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,880
    My longshot bet would be Tammy Baldwin (Junior senator for Wisconsin and first LGBT elected to the Senate). 119/1. Other longshots I've backed are Maggie Hassan (319/1), Susan Rice (129/1). All very unlikely.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    My suspicion that the VP slot is already promised to Klobuchar means this looks like anything but value.

In any case, Trump has had so many feuds with so many people that being seen to get under his skin is largely meaningless at this point. Whitmer is just flavour of the month and things are moving so fast, she'll likely be long forgotten by the convention, never mind November.

Mind, Megyn Kelly might have made a better candidate than Hillary did. Or Sadiq Khan. The Dems can have him.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Whitmer looks like a good bet if Biden sticks to his commitment to pick a woman as his VP candidate and unlike Harris, who represents California in the Senate, she is governor of Michigan, a swing state
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    I'm on at 22.

Since another PB punted here on here a week or so ago (possibly @rcs1000 ?)
  • Nigelb said:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/03/30/business/economy-business/jobs-for-life-south-korea-japan-coronavirus/
    A longtime thorn for businesses and productivity in Japan and South Korea is set to prove a bulwark for those economies as the coronavirus threatens millions of jobs around the world.

Mass layoffs are frowned upon and labor laws make it hard for employers to fire workers in the two North Asian nations, helping keep jobless rates low. In February — even as virus cases spread — South Korea’s unemployment rate dropped to 3.3 percent while Japan’s is set to hold at 2.4 percent, according to economists surveyed ahead of data due Tuesday.

Although less than before, lifetime employment remains a hallmark of corporate cultures in both countries, with employees at the likes of Samsung Electronics Co., Sony Corp., Hyundai Motor Co. and Panasonic Corp. among beneficiaries. During the 2008-2009 financial crisis, both countries reported much lower jobless rates than the U.S. and eurozone, helping lay the groundwork for their economic recoveries....

Very interesting, as another total reversal of the orthodoxy of the last forty years.
    edited March 2020
    Endillion said:

My suspicion that the VP slot is already promised to Klobuchar means this looks like anything but value.

In any case, Trump has had so many feuds with so many people that being seen to get under his skin is largely meaningless at this point. Whitmer is just flavour of the month and things are moving so fast, she'll likely be long forgotten by the convention, never mind November.

Mind, Megyn Kelly might have made a better candidate than Hillary did. Or Sadiq Khan. The Dems can have him.

Klobuchar is Senator from Minnesota which Hillary won anyway in 2016, Whitmer is Governor of Michigan which Trump narrowly won
    rkrkrk said:

My longshot bet would be Tammy Baldwin (Junior senator for Wisconsin and first LGBT elected to the Senate). 119/1. Other longshots I've backed are Maggie Hassan (319/1), Susan Rice (129/1). All very unlikely.

I backed Rice at 340.

That would be nice.
    Foss said:
    Well at least Starmer can say he got a bounce when he likely takes over as Labour leader at the weekend, Labour cannot go much lower than that
    HYUFD said:
    The Government is gonna have to be careful about public morale if it carries on like this.

HYUFD said:
    The Government is gonna have to be careful about public morale if it carries on like this.
    Indeed, we don't want to rehash the Protectorate of Oliver Cromwell for the next few months
    Pulpstar said:

Every physical contract in the world is going to pretty much under Force Majeure right now.
    Fucked.

Not when some of us are wearing the badge that says 'certified clean'.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    HYUFD said:

twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1244559414591356928?s=20

It seems the bizzies are as thick as the public.
    edited March 2020

Pulpstar said:

Fucked.

I sort of joked yesterday we will all have some sort of app / virtual badge to say we are a plague survivor. And then I read Germany are already putting in place the mechanisms to roll this out.
    HYUFD said:
    It has always been my contention that if the Germans had invaded -

1) 1/3rd of the population would have taken to the hills to fight
    2) 1/3rd would have barely noticed
    3) 1/3rd would have queued, round the block, to join up to be a BlockFuhrer

When asked why 99% of those arrested under the Prevention of Terrorism Act (intended to fight the IRA) were black, a police chief constable was non-plussed - how could they *not* use all the laws to the maximum extent possible?
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    edited March 2020
    Endillion said:

I agree, and if Biden didn't promise KLOBUCHAR that it would be KLOBUCHAR, it's because he'd already promised Jim Clyburn that it would be a black woman.

In any case governors have got their hands full governoring.
  • FossFoss Posts: 694
    HYUFD said:

Foss said:
    Well at least Starmer can say he got a bounce when he likely takes over as Labour leader at the weekend, Labour cannot go much lower than that
    That probably depends on if the ultras force a public civil war or not. And, given their demographics, many of them might not have much else to do…

Pulpstar said:

Fucked.

I sort of joked yesterday we will all have some sort of app / virtual badge to say we are a plague survivor. And then I read Germany are already putting in place the mechanisms to roll this out.
    Afraid I feeling pretty bleak about this. I can see us heading that way.
    Foss said:

HYUFD said:

Foss said:
    That probably depends on if the ultras force a public civil war or not. And, given their demographics, many of them might not have much else to do…
    The real question will be how Starmer deals with racism report - either he kicks out or tries to kick out some quite.... interesting people. Or he lets it slide.

Pulpstar said:

Fucked.

We could have a badge to sew into our coats.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,699

Nigelb said:

Very interesting, as another total reversal of the orthodoxy of the last forty years.
    I wonder if it implies a reciprocal commitment by the workforce not to go looking for jobs elsewhere.

Pulpstar said:

Fucked.

Until there is a real time test for this (or vaccine), I think we are going to have to accept some very illiberal things.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,725
    Was Lord Sumption a Brexiteer or a blocker? Or neither? Heard the name before
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733

HYUFD said:
    It’s the police that need to be careful. Anyone who tries to stop a legitimately open premises from trading could easily be breaching the statutory order themselves.
    HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

Klobuchar is Senator from Minnesota which Hillary won anyway in 2016, Whitmer is Governor of Michigan which Trump narrowly won
    It seems that in your world of sharp edges that this doesn't matter, but both states were practically coin tosses.

And in any case, that (probably) wouldn't change anything if Klobuchar had already been promised the slot in exchange for dropping out. Whitmer is also much, much less senior within the party than Klobuchar.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    isam said:

The cleverest man in England, being both lawyer and historian, though going by the disproportionate number of both in the House of Commons, one might choose to remain mildly sceptical.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    Story on BBC news that shale oil price could go negative!!!!!
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    On topic: So not the Gretchen from Real Housewives. Disappointing.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    It’s the police that need to be careful. Anyone who tries to stop a legitimately open premises from trading could easily be breaching the statutory order themselves.
    There will always be those in any society who take the opportunity when a vast amount of power is transferred to the state to use that power to the maximum extent possible, even going so far as to wilfully interpret it in the most draconian way possible.

This was exactly the situation in the Soviet Union and we can expect to see this sort of thing more often from now on until the powers are relaxed (hopeful emphasis on until).
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive. But to be a Remainer was very heaven!
    Several former Spads will be pleased. Karma again!
    Leaving aside for a moment the issue of taking joy at another's misfortune - it happens, it's not pleasant, but it'd take a bigger person than I to admit to never having done so - I'm not quite seeing how someone allegedly being a bit of a shit is subject to karma if they suffer some unrelated medical issue. I guess karma could include any general poor fortune, but to be proportionate and appropriate karma for someone in that situation would be being fired in disgrace, not just having a personal health issue - they might not regard that suffering as a karmic at all, anymore than a horrible dictator getting ill at the end of a thirty year reign of terror would be getting karma.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    HYUFD said:
    While a safety-first attitude is desirable in the present circumstances, it does look like a large number of petty tyrants have been empowered by this emergency and it will take some work to push back on this.
    Gretchen Whitmer is a plausible candidate but would she be a good choice? Getting on Trump's wick is irrelevant when she will be debating Mike Pence for the VP slot, and attacking Trump on CV response is fine except that the worst-hit states will have by definition have had more victims that the American average which to the untrained voter's eye will make the governor look worse than the president.

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    kjh said:

Story on BBC news that shale oil price could go negative!!!!!

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1243583421802336258?s=19
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598
    isam said:

Dunno, but remarkably, Sumption’s father is called Anthony. It’s the sort of name that would make the PB pun nerds ecstatic!
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    Leaving aside for a moment the issue of taking joy at another's misfortune - it happens, it's not pleasant, but it'd take a bigger person than I to admit to never having done so - I'm not quite seeing how someone allegedly being a bit of a shit is subject to karma if they suffer some unrelated medical issue. I guess karma could include any general poor fortune, but to be proportionate and appropriate karma for someone in that situation would be being fired in disgrace, not just having a personal health issue - they might not regard that suffering as a karmic at all, anymore than a horrible dictator getting ill at the end of a thirty year reign of terror would be getting karma.
    Karma would be Cummings being arrested for leaking official secrets to the press and locked up....

...and five years later, it being found someone else had done it.

On topic: So not the Gretchen from Real Housewives. Disappointing.

"Gretchen, stop trying to make the VP slot happen! It's not going to happen!"

isam said:

Dunno, but remarkably, Sumption’s father is called Anthony. It’s the sort of name that would make the PB pun nerds ecstatic!
    You should not make A Sumptions.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    Surely the idea that it's karma is related to https://twitter.com/cooperphil156/status/1244558876625821696
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

HYUFD said:
    While a safety-first attitude is desirable in the present circumstances, it does look like a large number of petty tyrants have been empowered by this emergency and it will take some work to push back on this.
    I think its quite possible that whilst we could come out of all of this with the reputation of health workers rightly enhanced by a huge amount, the reputation of the police and other petty officials cold be even further reduced, not because they are doing a necessary but unpopular job, but because they are throwing their weight around where it is simply not justified.
    Prince Charles is out of self-isolation, seven days after it was reported he had tested positive for coronavirus
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

isam said:

Was his college nickname 'Massive Ass'? :wink:
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Prince Charles is out of self-isolation, seven days after it was reported he had tested positive for coronavirus

He's one of the herd now.

isam said:

The time before he joined was known as the Pre-Sumption era.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080

HYUFD said:
    On March 24 Nottinghamshire Police were driving around handing out Easter Eggs.

https://twitter.com/nottspolice/status/1242512740926869505
  • TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Interesting read on vested interests in the prediction game

https://hectordrummond.com/2020/03/30/soap-opera-science/

"Here’s a remarkable story that no-one in the media or social media has picked up on (although you can bet that everyone in the field knows).

So we have two epidemiological teams, one at Imperial, and one at Oxford, with differing ideas about Covid-19."

"Now, do you accept the traditional image of scientists as sober, serious, disinterested seekers of truth? Or do you have more of a Biscuit Factory sort of view of them, where quite a lot of them are very flawed human beings, egotistical shits bent on climbing the greasy pole and treading on people to get to the top?"

"let’s take a bit of a closer look at the Imperial-Oxford situation. I’m only going to pick out a few details now, because the full story is very large and I don’t know it all, plus a lot of it is very murky and undocumented...."
    RobD said:

He's one of the herd now.
    I’m sure he’s used to that, having been married to a cow for a great many years until they divorced.

Slightly mean?

OK. I apologise to any cows...
    Endillion said:

isam said:

The time before he joined was known as the Pre-Sumption era.
    And the time with him the ConSumption era.
    Nigelb said:
    Certified to reenter society and buy Easter eggs.

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1244590058394587137?s=20

HYUFD said:
    I think its quite possible that whilst we could come out of all of this with the reputation of health workers rightly enhanced by a huge amount, the reputation of the police and other petty officials cold be even further reduced, not because they are doing a necessary but unpopular job, but because they are throwing their weight around where it is simply not justified.
    And they have a lot of shiny new kit - e.g. drones, ANPR - that need daily exercise just like the rest of us.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Nigelb said:
    The tweet does not match the article. It doesn't sound like a government scheme, and it's limited to 100,000 people.
    HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1244590058394587137?s=20
    Fake News BBC breaking news?
    Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Endillion said:

It seems that in your world of sharp edges that this doesn't matter, but both states were practically coin tosses.

And in any case, that (probably) wouldn't change anything if Klobuchar had already been promised the slot in exchange for dropping out. Whitmer is also much, much less senior within the party than Klobuchar.
    That does not change the fact it is Michigan Biden needs to gain, if he only holds Minnesota but loses Michigan he will have lost anyway
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,451
    Nigelb said:
    Could spark a rush for people to get the disease all at once.
    Dystopia here we come.
  • SockySocky Posts: 404
    Nigelb said:

During the 2008-2009 financial crisis, [Japan and South Korea] reported much lower jobless rates than the U.S. and eurozone, helping lay the groundwork for their economic recoveries....

Did they recover significantly faster than (say) the US and UK?

This sounds like policy based evidence making. There are good arguments for strong employment protections, but national economic performance isn't one of them.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

Is that the stash confiscated by Police outside Kinnock's home?

I think these are the current UK figures.

BMI over 30 looks bad, as does age. Figures in third column are other viral pneumonia for comparison.
    Nigelb said:
    This will just end up with people desperate to risk getting it in order to be released from isolation.
    edited March 2020
    Foxy said:

BMI over 30 looks bad, as does age. Figures in third column are other viral pneumonia for comparison.

Until I contracted severe pneumonia a couple of years ago, I rather naively thought that only oldies died of it. I didn't realise that there was a somewhat significant death rate for even under 50s (obviously column 3 is showing those that needed critical care, but still).

I think what is missing from that chart (and unknown at the moment) is % of people that get admitted, and % who need critical care.

MattW said:

HYUFD said:

Is that the stash confiscated by Police outside Kinnock's home?
    "Man accused of possessing an Easter egg claims police planted it on him."

Next week's news. Why wait?

Foxy said:

Until I contracted severe pneumonia a couple of years ago, I rather naively thought that only oldies died of it. I didn't know there was a somewhat significant death rate for even under 50s (obviously column 3 is showing those that needed critical care, but still).
    ARDS is a particularly nasty pneumonia.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598

isam said:

I believe it was!
    Socky said:

Nigelb said:

During the 2008-2009 financial crisis, [Japan and South Korea] reported much lower jobless rates than the U.S. and eurozone, helping lay the groundwork for their economic recoveries....

Did they recover significantly faster than (say) the US and UK?

This sounds like policy based evidence making. There are good arguments for strong employment protections, but national economic performance isn't one of them.
    I was thinking more that they got lucky.
    Though not relying on a casual labour force does build in a certain amount of resilience.

And this could be more akin to a great depression than than 2008/9.
    Coronavirus, basically you don't want to be a fat man over 50.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    Today's data

On reported deaths, signs of a slowing of rate of growth in Italy, Spain and France, but not yet in UK, US and Germany.
    On reported cases, slight sign of slowing of rate of growth in most countries.

• logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    It has been suggested that it was Cummings idea to try the mathematically inappropriate idea of creating 'herd immunity' by letting people get Covid-19. Even though that was abandoned when someone worked out what that would mean, it is generous of Dom and Boris to volunteer to help in a small way to increase Britain's herd immunity.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

HYUFD said:
    The police and local council officials have absolutely no power to do this. A venue can be shut but if it is legally open it can sell what it is legally entitled to. Officials trying it on need to be told to do one.
  • DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    The government needs an exit strategy to the lockdown.

They should be pulling out all the stops to find an effective treatment, setting up trials for as many drugs as possible.

They should be getting a steady stream of masks to everyone and announce that they need to be worn outside the house for the foreseeable future. This would allow the lockdown to finish earlier and for it to be longer before another one is potentially needed in future.

Currently they just seem to be waiting around to see what turns up.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,451

That is probably true regardless of coronavirus!
    Waiting for police hot cross bun and Easter egg dawn raids coming soon...
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

How do they decide who gets one? Do they make an eggxecutive decision?
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    HYUFD said:

That does not change the fact it is Michigan Biden needs to gain, if he only holds Minnesota but loses Michigan he will have lost anyway

OTOH Trump *barely* won Michigan (0.3%) and didn't win Minnesota by much of a margin, and per the Morning Consult numbers he's now more popular in Minnesota than Michigan. In any case apparently VP picks only seem to give you a home-state boost in teensy states.

I can see how you can make either argument about which is more useful but I don't think it's a slam-dunk.
    edited March 2020

To be fair, even before the virus that wasn't a great option.

Avoid those Easter eggs and hot cross buns!
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669

Nigelb said:
    This will just end up with people desperate to risk getting it in order to be released from isolation.
    I would guess not many - and a few of those that did may get more 'released' than they anticipated.

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    It has been suggested that it was Cummings idea to try the mathematically inappropriate idea of creating 'herd immunity' by letting people get Covid-19. Even though that was abandoned when someone worked out what that would mean, it is generous of Dom and Boris to volunteer to help in a small way to increase Britain's herd immunity.
    Or, they've got lucky, as they were planning to bring in a scheme where only those who passed the antibody test would be allowed out of their homes.
  • DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    HYUFD said:
    Just small shops I notice.

There does seem to be some confusion around the rules of what can and can't be sold. The local clothes shops and off licences are closed, but Tesco can sell clothes and booze no problem.

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:
    Except that appears to be fake news - according to the published minutes of the committee of scientists advising the government.

But, like Peston on the budget, an anon source reporting something that another anon source thinks he heard is much more accurate. Or not.
    Barnesian said:

Today's data

On reported deaths, signs of a slowing of rate of growth in Italy, Spain and France, but not yet in UK, US and Germany.
    On reported cases, slight sign of slowing of rate of growth in most countries.

According to that data - Iran is doing great. Or maybe not...
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735

Fuck

HYUFD said:
    Just small shops I notice.

There does seem to be some confusion around the rules of what can and can't be sold. The local clothes shops and off licences are closed, but Tesco can sell clothes and booze no problem.
    I thought off licences could stay open?
This discussion has been closed.