Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » We might all be confined to our homes but the PB NightHawk caf

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited March 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » We might all be confined to our homes but the PB NightHawk cafe is open

Clearly the fight against the coronavirus continues to dominate and looks set to do so for weeks if not months. There are so many factors and the increasing death toll in the UK with the knowledge that it will go much higher must be seriously worrying for ministers.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    First orders...?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    Early doors
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    Number 2. Like everyone's next haircut.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,988
    RobD said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

Quick Italy update.

The Italian improvement continues. It's a bit slower than we'd all like, but it's clearly happening.

Three things worth noting:

1. New infections in Lomardy fell again, and are now 68% below peak. Where Lombardy leads, the rest of Italy follows.

2. While there were 4,053 positive test results yesterday, this was just 14% of those tested. Two weeks ago, more than a third of people were testing positive. This is a really clear indication that the incidence of CV-19 is now heading downwards.

3. The number of active cases is slowing dramatically. Last week, it was increasing at c. 4,000 per day. Yesterday and today, it's been about 2,000. By early next week, the number of active cases should peak and begin to decline.

https://twitter.com/alistairhaimes/status/1245021244304568322?s=21
    The trendline is definitely flattering it though.
    It might be flattering it a bit, but it's also worth remembering that Italy is doing more than twice as many tests as they were at peak.

So, the true peak is probably higher.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

I'm doing a number 1, graded up to a number 2 and a scissor cut on top. Let's see how that turns out.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    https://covid.joinzoe.com/

KCL covid tracker app for those who'd like to poll themselves about whether they have it.
  • Options

I've been using clippers on my hair for a long time. But mine have always measures in numbers which i assume to be millimetres - I'm usually 17 or so on top. What is "number 1" in relation to barbers and clippers - its not mm.

New fangled beard trimmer for new fangled zombie beard even less finesseed than that. Like the zombie beard...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,296
    I remember when Nighthawks used to have links to all the best stories of the day but I suppose there is only 1 story at the moment. My wife gets the local paper but with so little happening, no sport, no shows, practically no court, increasingly no politics, no shows, no graduations, no restaurant reviews, no property market, etc etc they are reduced to a couple of pages from their historical archives to fill things out.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I've been using clippers on my hair for a long time. But mine have always measures in numbers which i assume to be millimetres - I'm usually 17 or so on top. What is "number 1" in relation to barbers and clippers - its not mm.

New fangled beard trimmer for new fangled zombie beard even less finesseed than that. Like the zombie beard...
    number 1 = 3mm

https://www.hairclippersclub.com/hair-clipper-sizes-guide-and-chart/
  • Options
    What a pity we didn't implement a lockdown at the same time as Italy did. We too would have been peaking, but a a much lower level, and thanking our lucky stars that we had advance warning. Instead, we're now following on Italy's heels.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,123
    Moth traps on. A bloody robin plundering around them at 9.45 pm. Those are the genes of a survivor.

New for the year is the rather splendid Frosted Green.

https://ukmoths.org.uk/species/polyploca-ridens/

• Options
    DavidL said:

I remember when Nighthawks used to have links to all the best stories of the day but I suppose there is only 1 story at the moment. My wife gets the local paper but with so little happening, no sport, no shows, practically no court, increasingly no politics, no shows, no graduations, no restaurant reviews, no property market, etc etc they are reduced to a couple of pages from their historical archives to fill things out.

It also had subtle pop music references and a history lesson or two.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

number 1 = 3mm

https://www.hairclippersclub.com/hair-clipper-sizes-guide-and-chart/
    Much obliged - the number is how many eighths of an inch. How American...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    You’ve got to wonder how long this can carry on for:

https://twitter.com/alexinair/status/1245063189336936450?s=21

I think all arrivals should be served with mandatory 14 day “Stay Home Notices” - As happened in Singapore before they simply banned all foreign arrivals.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980
    DavidL said:

Here's a good(ish) news story https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18347403.men-appear-court-accused-stealing-darlington-nurse/ I especially like the fact the bail hearing was done in the car park in case the accused had caught something off the stolen uniform.
  • Options
    On topic: My teenage son did mine with the new clippers I would last week. No. 1 all over. He won't let me near his though, nor will the women of the house.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

What a pity we didn't implement a lockdown at the same time as Italy did. We too would have been peaking, but a a much lower level, and thanking our lucky stars that we had advance warning. Instead, we're now following on Italy's heels.

Don't say such things...you musty be a left wing political agitator...our great Govt has done everything right, and is beyond criticism...shame on you Corbynite scum
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Share buy backs. Just gob smacking. Who was considering share buy backs right now?

Apart from USA Airlines of course. Never miss an oppertunity for a buy back.
  • Options
    You still love him TSE..there is a hope somewhere that GO is going to come and save us all....
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980
    edited March 2020
    Why do I see Easyjet having problems when it comes to the air industry rescue?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,295

I think all arrivals should be served with mandatory 14 day “Stay Home Notices” - As happened in Singapore before they simply banned all foreign arrivals.

I bet no journalist has brought this up at the daily No. 10 briefings?
  • Options
    eek said:

Why do I see Easyjet having problems when it comes to the air industry rescue?
    Well Stelios is asking for a rights issue to raise money, not a bailout. Let's see how the easyJet board reacts.
  • Options

perhaps they were asking questions about PPE for frontline staff..

obviously journos are annoying...but quite frankly people attacking them is fucking disgusting....
  • Options
    Today's US figures look pretty horrible. I just don't see how the Government is ever going to implement the kind of lockdown measures that have worked elsewhere.

Right this minute, I wouldn't like to put an upper limit on the number of US deaths due the virus or how long the crisis will last there. Is it too extreme to imagine a world that puts the US in quarantine?
  • Options
    eadric said:

A harrowing day. And many more to come

One my nephews...a doctor on a Covid ward is thriving...he loves getting the opportunity to save lives, gets hero worshipped by all of us that know him...and gets 50% of deliveroos..

His PPE is shit...and his brother, another doctor, has all the symptoms but cannot get tested....
  • Options
    eek said:

DavidL said:

Here's a good(ish) news story https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18347403.men-appear-court-accused-stealing-darlington-nurse/ I especially like the fact the bail hearing was done in the car park in case the accused had caught something off the stolen uniform.
    Pleasantly bizarre but still got a couple of CV angles. There is no escape.
  • Options
    I get to go out to give blood tomorrow. Could be the highlight of my week.
  • Options

Today's US figures look pretty horrible. I just don't see how the Government is ever going to implement the kind of lockdown measures that have worked elsewhere.

Right this minute, I wouldn't like to put an upper limit on the number of US deaths due the virus or how long the crisis will last there. Is it too extreme to imagine a world that puts the US in quarantine?

The US was always going to be a clusterfuck....Trump's approach has been horrible, but it's health system and politics just isn't up to it....
  • Options

What seems to be happening in many states is cities trying to introduce their own arrangements after their call for a state wide lockdown has been denied by republican governors.
  • Options
    guybrushguybrush Posts: 237
    https://twitter.com/annettedittert/status/1245052802080157697

I must admit, it's not a good look coming after EU Ventilator Procurement-gate. There's may be an innocent explanation (normally believe in cock up over conspiracy), but still one wonders...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,623
    edited March 2020
    tyson said:

The US was always going to be a clusterfuck....Trump's approach has been horrible, but it's health system and politics just isn't up to it....
    Just 5 weeks ago Nancy Pelosi was encouraging people to visit Chinatown in San Francisco, and the mayor of New York City was giving similar advice. Both of them said people shouldn't listen to scaremongering about the virus that might cause people not to visit those areas.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I get to go out to give blood tomorrow. Could be the highlight of my week.

If only we all had a lane to watch over outside of our front gate.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    eadric said:

If it helps (perhaps not, in which case ignore this!), most of western Europe should be on the downswing in two weeks (just after Easter). It is not good but it will not last for ever and, compared to some of the projections, it is going to be distressing but not anywhere near hundreds of thousands of deaths per country.

The trick is to be better prepared (ventilators / anti-virals / testing) for the next wave. For the first, we are going to be in good shape; for the second, there will be various clinical trials reporting in April that will give us a good hint about what might work; and for the third, we will have antigen / antibody tests that are much more rapid. Even if the anti-virals (or other therapies) have only a small effect, we will thus be much better prepared.

Consequently, whilst the situations seems awful, the next wave really should not be anything like as bad. I know that this may sound like small beer at present, but it is important we realise that the world will keep spinning and that there is still a lot to play for.
  • Options
    tyson said:

eadric said:

One my nephews...a doctor on a Covid ward is thriving...he loves getting the opportunity to save lives, gets hero worshipped by all of us that know him...and gets 50% of deliveroos..

His PPE is shit...and his brother, another doctor, has all the symptoms but cannot get tested....
    How is his impression of the London hospital system at present? Are they just about holding up?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    eek said:

DavidL said:

I was seduced into clicking by the link description which is totally misleading!
  • Options

California seems to be an exception where case numbers arent rising so fast
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,295
    tyson said:

obviously journos are annoying...but quite frankly people attacking them is fucking disgusting....
    True, but it's not journalists' job to ban flights from Covid hotspots.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,007
    I'm so happy to see Nighthawks though things have changed a lot since the days when the most controversial thing in the UK was ANGUS REID.
  • Options
    I love the panache
    Make a decision. Announce it by 21.00 - and here’s a draft of your announcement.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,097
    And they thought it was only cruise ships that were the problem.

https://twitter.com/DavidLarter/status/1244975396619198465?s=20
  • Options

tyson said:

True, but it's not journalists' job to ban flights from Covid hotspots.
    The problem Sunil...is that we have a set of career politicians who have not done really anything, other than politicking...which is not a helpful skill to have when something needs to be done...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,623
    "More than a third of coronavirus deaths in hospitals in England have occurred in London, with 590 deaths across the capital, according to the latest figures from NHS England.

Seven out of the 10 trusts with the highest death tolls in England are in London and the deaths are concentrated in a handful of hospitals. London North West Healthcare NHS trust reported 38 new deaths, taking its total to 93, the highest of any UK trust. A total of 55 deaths have been reported at Barts Health NHS trust, the next highest."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/31/england-more-than-third-of-hospital-covid-19-deaths-in-london
  • Options
    ABZ said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

How is his impression of the London hospital system at present? Are they just about holding up?
    Depends on the hospital. Northwick park is a disaster zone, the Royal Free isn't so bad. Both front line reports from family members.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    guybrush said:

https://twitter.com/annettedittert/status/1245052802080157697

I must admit, it's not a good look coming after EU Ventilator Procurement-gate. There's may be an innocent explanation (normally believe in cock up over conspiracy), but still one wonders...

It makes the jailing of french politicians over the wait for our own made vaccine scandal look like a mere hor’deurve.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

ABZ said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

Depends on the hospital. Northwick park is a disaster zone, the Royal Free isn't so bad. Both front line reports from family members.
    I fell over running, dislocated a finger, and went to the Royal Free. They bandaged me up and sent me home and told me to come back a few days later for the hand clinic.

I was in a lot of pain, but didn't think about it much.

Came back for the hand clinic. Got x-rayed. Apparently a bunch of bones in my hand had been broken and they'd missed it at A&E. Booked in immediately to have my hand pinned back together.

I admit, falling over running on Halloween evening may have been an error. I was the only sober person in A&E that evening.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    What’s going on with UK testing? Something doesn’t add up.
  • Options
    ABZ said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

View from the frontline....
    One is a doctor in the south coast on a Covid ward (non ICU) .and they are doing OK....and still have capacity..
    The other (in London) is not on a Covid ward...but was dealing with a couple of Covid patients..and he has shown symptoms....
    My friend's daughter...on an ICU unit in London...says it's hectic...they are full, and staffing is the issue...but very poor prognosis for the patients....

• Options
    edited March 2020
    MaxPB said:

ABZ said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

These are the rates per 100 000 population, by hospital Trust.

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Jonathan said:

Can you elaborate?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

ABZ said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

I fell over running, dislocated a finger, and went to the Royal Free. They bandaged me up and sent me home and told me to come back a few days later for the hand clinic.

Came back for the hand clinic. Got x-rayed. Apparently a bunch of bones in my hand had been broken and they'd missed it at A&E. Booked in immediately to have my hand pinned back together.

I admit, falling over running on Halloween evening may have been an error. I was the only sober person in A&E that evening.
    All my kids were born in the Royal Free. The first was delivered by a Dr Patient, which has always tickled me.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

ABZ said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

Northwick's been in crisis for 2 weeks....

• Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Picture an Island in the river. On it hundreds of thousands of our most vulnerable. Above them a creaking damn that if it goes will obliterate the island. And a government doing diddly zilch about the situation.

That’s the care home crisis of this lazy governments own making.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,439
    ABZ said:

eadric said:

If it helps (perhaps not, in which case ignore this!), most of western Europe should be on the downswing in two weeks (just after Easter). It is not good but it will not last for ever and, compared to some of the projections, it is going to be distressing but not anywhere near hundreds of thousands of deaths per country.

The trick is to be better prepared (ventilators / anti-virals / testing) for the next wave. For the first, we are going to be in good shape; for the second, there will be various clinical trials reporting in April that will give us a good hint about what might work; and for the third, we will have antigen / antibody tests that are much more rapid. Even if the anti-virals (or other therapies) have only a small effect, we will thus be much better prepared.

Consequently, whilst the situations seems awful, the next wave really should not be anything like as bad. I know that this may sound like small beer at present, but it is important we realise that the world will keep spinning and that there is still a lot to play for.
    And whilst it's distressing, going to be more distressing, and the worst thing that happens in most of our lifetimes...

… despite all that, the human response to this threat has been blooming amazing. Not perfect, but way more effective than against similar threats in the past.

Randall Munroe got it right; "We're not trapped in here with the coronavirus. The coronavirus is trapped in here with us."

https://xkcd.com/2287/
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Jonathan said:

Its plateaued
  • Options
    tyson said:

MaxPB said:

ABZ said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

Northwick's been in crisis for 2 weeks....

My mole in the RF would confirm that.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,602
    Paper out of China on antibody response:

Antibody responses to SARS-CoV-2 in COVID-19 patients: the perspective application of serological tests in clinical practice
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.18.20038018v1.full.pdf
    The asymptomatic infection poses a special challenge in the prevention of COVID-19, since symptoms are usually used as important indicator for COVID-19. Asymptomatic individual with infection will become a transmission source if not be contained and quarantined. We surveyed a cohort of 164 close contacts and identified 4.3% (7/164) patients with occult infection which were missed by symptoms screening and nucleic acid test. Adding those identified by RT-PCR, the percentage of asymptomatic infection was as high as 6.1% in this cohort....
  • Options
    tyson said:

It’s a country in deep, deep trouble and it’s hard to see a way out.

• Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    egg said:

Picture an Island in the river. On it hundreds of thousands of our most vulnerable. Above them a creaking damn that if it goes will obliterate the island. And a government doing diddly zilch about the situation.

We need the Chinese welders in to close the door. And more Socialism no doubt.
  • Options
    The fastest accelerating region is the East of England though. To quote the HSJ

"There have been 139 confirmed covid-19 deaths in the region’s hospitals, eight days after it surpassed its first 10 deaths. The London region had seen 129 confirmed fatalities at the same point. That is despite EoE’s population being much smaller (6.9 million) than London’s (10 million).

The East of England deaths are concentrated in the parts of the region nearest to London, with 42 in Hertfordshire and West Essex, and 35 in Mid and South Essex. Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, by contrast, has so far recorded only nine confirmed covid-19 deaths.

Despite this rapid early growth, the overall death rate per 100,000 population across East of England is so far lower than in other areas. The hightest is in South West London, which has recorded nine deaths per 100,000 people."
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Piss up and a brewery spring to mind....

In 5 years time...no one is going to be interested in the aftermath.....but in 5 years when we are all past this horror shitshow.....this govt's initial approach is going to be vilified in a way that will be excruciating to see....the missteps are appalling.....but a number of other Govt's will look shocking as well
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Charles said:

I love the panache
    Make a decision. Announce it by 21.00 - and here’s a draft of your announcement.
    It’s exactly what Staley and Barclays deserve. Staley is IMO lucky still to be CEO.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

ABZ said:

tyson said:

eadric said:

All my kids were born in the Royal Free. The first was delivered by a Dr Patient, which has always tickled me.

Did he have a long waiting list?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Wasn't it quicker off the mark than most in implementing lockdown measures?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

tyson said:

It’s a country in deep, deep trouble and it’s hard to see a way out.

Because Europe “took a much different route than we did, a much different route,” in responding to the coronavirus pandemic, “they’re having tremendous problems,” Trump
  • Options
    Foxy said:

"There have been 139 confirmed covid-19 deaths in the region’s hospitals, eight days after it surpassed its first 10 deaths. The London region had seen 129 confirmed fatalities at the same point. That is despite EoE’s population being much smaller (6.9 million) than London’s (10 million).

The East of England deaths are concentrated in the parts of the region nearest to London, with 42 in Hertfordshire and West Essex, and 35 in Mid and South Essex. Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, by contrast, has so far recorded only nine confirmed covid-19 deaths.

Despite this rapid early growth, the overall death rate per 100,000 population across East of England is so far lower than in other areas. The hightest is in South West London, which has recorded nine deaths per 100,000 people."

The problem is we might well have 2 or 3 hotspots emerging....the east, midlands and South Wales.....and then London too....

Italy had one in Lombardy...

Blackpool..where I was born...... seems OK on a positive note....
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    Back from a late night walk. Forty minutes, fourteen vehicles (including a Morrison's van) and three people, none could have been much older than twenty. I'll walk in a different direction tomorrow and see what the centre of town is like.

Oh, and one cat.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

tyson said:

Just 5 weeks ago Nancy Pelosi was encouraging people to visit Chinatown in San Francisco, and the mayor of New York City was giving similar advice. Both of them said people shouldn't listen to scaremongering about the virus that might cause people not to visit those areas.
    Whilst it's easy to bash Trump over this - and he certainly deserves it - the more fundamental problem is a structural one. Just how does central Government coordinate and implement a centralised policy to combat a pandemic when the whole political system is configured to defeat that kind of control?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,097
    'My name is Toby Young and I approve this message'

https://twitter.com/milne25/status/1245062553618743296?s=20
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,187
    eadric said:

Busy on Penarth Pier then?
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

Back from a late night walk. Forty minutes, fourteen vehicles (including a Morrison's van) and three people, none could have been much older than twenty. I'll walk in a different direction tomorrow and see what the centre of town is like.

Oh, and one cat.

A fox wandered to me out in the open during my walk at lunchtime.. it looked really thin....

I wonder what's going to happen to our urban foxes without restaurants, takeaways and students....I do genuinely feel sorry for them....
  • Options

Somebody please tell me that letter is a fake.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Wasn't it quicker off the mark than most in implementing lockdown measures?
    Yes.

But that's not all.

Here in SoCal we all live in our cars as there's no public transport.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

If this is genuine, where are they getting that list of conditions they refer to?

It is NOT the list of severely or shielded vulnerable who have had a letter from NHS.
  • Options

Wales Online confirm it.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    egg said:

And what do you want the government to do exactly?
  • Options

If this is genuine, where are they getting that list of conditions they refer to?

It is NOT the list of severely or shielded vulnerable who have had a letter from NHS.
    I am surprised it is the Surgery's responsibility to let patients know that detail. If a patient rocked up to A and E at The Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend, surely it would be their job to pass on the bad news.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Wales Online confirm it.
    Whilst utterly horrible, surely no one here is surprised that letters like this exist. This is what battlefield triage medicine looks like. This is the abyss we’re in. They don’t a country under house arrest for shits and giggles. Stay at home.
  • Options

Something similar here ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/29/why-isolation-is-a-matter-of-life-and-death-covid-19-cancer-

• Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    So more lies from the government. Looks like the BBC are going to be fucked after this for daring to highlight the testing fiasco and not behaving according to orders from the politburo !
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Wales Online confirm it.
    Whilst utterly horrible, surely no one here is surprised that letters like this exist. This is what battlefield triage medicine looks like. This is the abyss we’re in. They don’t a country under house arrest for shits and giggles. Stay at home.
    I fully understand the triage predicament - it's the way the letter expresses it that is utterly wrong.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

I love the panache
    It’s exactly what Staley and Barclays deserve. Staley is IMO lucky still to be CEO.
    I completely agree. Should have been fired at least 3 times so far... and that’s just by Barclays.

But it’s a great letter
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    tyson said:

ukpaul said:

Oh, and one cat.

A fox wandered to me out in the open during my walk at lunchtime.. it looked really thin....

I wonder what's going to happen to our urban foxes without restaurants, takeaways and students....I do genuinely feel sorry for them....
    Jolyon Maugham will be kept busy.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Foxy said:

The problem is we might well have 2 or 3 hotspots emerging....the east, midlands and South Wales.....and then London too....

Italy had one in Lombardy...

Blackpool..where I was born...... seems OK on a positive note....
    I agree - there will be multiple difficult areas, but not sure it's analogous to Lombardy, which has been a catastrophe. For example, on 17 March (equivalent day after the Italian lockdown) there had been 1640 deaths there alone. So although we have some hotspots (and London is clearly not great) none of them, at present, seem to stand out quite as badly as Lombardy.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Wales Online confirm it.
    Cwm Taf Health Board have made a very guarded apology for upsetting anyone. Whatever the reality it would be better left unsaid.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

I love the panache
    I completely agree. Should have been fired at least 3 times so far... and that’s just by Barclays.

But it’s a great letter
    Yes, isn’t it. Finally.
  • Options

It is from a GP practice. They would have that information on their database.

While it is a difficult letter, it is nessecary to discuss whether a DNR is appropriate and should be in the notes. We have had this conversation with my own dear Mother in Law. If she comes down with it, she will stay in her nursing home. She is a former nurse, and while a little muddled, understood the implications of this when we discussed it.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited March 2020

Well a quick Google search shows this is actual a practice...
  • Options

Something similar here ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/29/why-isolation-is-a-matter-of-life-and-death-covid-19-cancer-

At least that was a conversation.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

So more lies from the government. Looks like the BBC are going to be fucked after this for daring to highlight the testing fiasco and not behaving according to orders from the politburo !

Peston asked the questions. He is ITV.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

I am surprised it is the Surgery's responsibility to let patients know that detail. If a patient rocked up to A and E at The Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend, surely it would be their job to pass on the bad news.
    No the Respect form has been rolled out this year, so these decisions are made in primary care. At least that is what is happening in England, but it sounds as if Wales is similar.

https://www.resus.org.uk/respect/
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2020
    Foxy said:

While it is a difficult letter, it is nessecary to discuss whether a DNR is appropriate and should be in the notes. We have had this conversation with my own dear Mother in Law. If she comes down with it, she will stay in her nursing home. She is a former nurse, and while a little muddled, understood the implications of this when we discussed it.
    No idea if the letter is genuine, but I saw this interview with a senior consultant, and he was advocating for having this kind of discussion.

It isn't even necessarily about rationing. For those who aren't medical, many think that going on a ventilator is just one of those things anybody can do. He makes it very clear, it is really a traumatic experience for a person's body and many people's bodies can't take it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztrbL3IRTdo
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I can see the DNR bit, but my question is what are they using as the list? The official severely at risk does not include conditions mentioned as examples in this letter.
  • Options

I didn’t know that Toby Young was part of the Labour Government of Wales
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Well a quick Google search shows this is actual a practice...
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/surgery-tells-sickest-patients-will-18012444
  • Options
    BigRich said:

egg said:

And what do you want the government to do exactly?
    I think he wants the government to put hundreds of thousands on a small island in the Thames.

I mean, it seems a bit cruel to me, but presumably @egg has his reasons.
This discussion has been closed.