Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest Ipsos-MORI coronavirus tracker finds that one in five s

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited April 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest Ipsos-MORI coronavirus tracker finds that one in five still NOT washing hands

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Doesn't it say 20% haven't 'started doing or increased doing' during the pandemic? Maybe they were doing it before but haven't increased?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Worried about the 20% of people who now wash their hands less. I suppose if you don't get outside, where's it going to come from? :p
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Richard
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    And surprising that confidence in the NHS ability to cope is rising despite all the stories regarding PPE and testing.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    RobD said:

Worried about the 20% of people who now wash their hands less. I suppose if you don't get outside, where's it going to come from? :p

They are doing it the same or less, not necessarily less.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,826
    Evening All :)

The "Avoiding Leaving the House" number is striking and shows the extent to which Government instruction and plain old-fashioned fear has had an effect.

I must confess the "surgical/face mask" question doesn't tally with my experience in East London. There are more worn but a very small minority overall and 12% seems high.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited April 2020
    Bet these 1in 5 fuckwits put pineapples on their pizzas.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    As a matter of pedantry it says "done or started doing more" - I'm washing my hands the same as I was before because I washed my hands regularly before and continue to do so now.

I'm concerned about the people who didn't wash their hands regularly in the past and hope they continue to do so in the future.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    Fewer hand washes= less protection # grammar police
  • Options
    Bring back hanging for the one in five dirty bastards who don't wash their hands.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    FPT
    MaxPB said:

» show previous quotes
    And yet it's the might of the UK balance sheet that is allowing Scotland to write the necessary blank cheques for treatment.

Away and bile your heid Max, you don't half talk some absolute bollox at times.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    stodge said:

Evening All :)

The "Avoiding Leaving the House" number is striking and shows the extent to which Government instruction and plain old-fashioned fear has had an effect.

I must confess the "surgical/face mask" question doesn't tally with my experience in East London. There are more worn but a very small minority overall and 12% seems high.

Different here in North London. Maskers close to the majority now.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Though I doubt many would admit it - quite probably some are quite reasonably washing them less.

EG people whose job requires very frequent hand washing but are not working now may find fewer occasions to wash their hands at home than they did at work.
  • Options
    Also huge bias in the second question, because of NHS bias. Ask about the government's or health secretary's ability to deal with it, which is really the same question, and I bet confidence would decrease by at least 10 points.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Those with OCD can't wash more than they already were?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

Bring back hanging for the one in five dirty bastards who don't wash their hands.

I remember being in a Burger King in the 90s and went into the toilet where one of BKs staff was just finishing himself off at the urinal.

He then walked out of the toilet without washing his hands and when I emerged from the lav he was behind the counter serving people their food.

I left the rest of my french fries and ever went back to that outlet...
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited April 2020
    What sort of mask are they asking about? If it's the simple dust mask, they're wasting their time. It does keep the boulders out of your nose, though, and the bogeys will be cleaner..
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,464
  • Options

Oh we can, as a germaphobe with OCD my hands are getting washed even more so, so much so I think they might wear away, and I'm a heavy lotion user.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437
    At the risk of being Mr Grumpy I am not sure I like this idea of clapping every Thursday. I hate enforced gesture stuff at the best of times.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Andy_JS said:
    Again, please remember that should be, ‘*Recorded* cases reach one million.’

As Eadric notes, the figures are highly unreliable.
  • Options

Oh we can, as a germaphobe with OCD my hands are getting washed even more so, so much so I think they might wear away, and I'm a heavy lotion user.
    Well, that’s silly. You want a soft lotion, not a heavy lotion.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,633

Premier League players should make a contribution but taking a pay cut that stays in the pockets of the owners helps no-one.

I've been very surprised not to see stories of players collectively donating a portion of their salaries to good causes and the like - easy PR win.
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    They will not be short of anything for themselves you can bet on that.
    Senior politicians absolutely should be prioritised. I'd extend that across the political aisles.
  • Options
    eadric said:

So that means

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1245776643634888704?s=21

That would be the highest daily new death toll anywhere?

But is the UK counting deaths in nursing homes?

I think they said they were intent on beginning to do so, soon.
  • Options
    Ordering takeaways was lower than I'd have thought.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    eadric said:

So that means

How can it be the highest daily total when it explicitly says that it is adding in people who haven’t previously been counted.
  • Options
    eadric said:

So that means

UK daily count is hospitals only, ONS is beginning to do weekly reports which will cover others.

For fans of statistical comparisons that one day stat for France is about 40% of its annual road death count. In one day.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

eadric said:

So that means

UK daily count is hospitals only, ONS is beginning to do weekly reports which will cover others.

For fans of statistical comparisons that one day stat for France is about 40% of its annual road death count. In one day.
    I'm not sure that's a one day stat. Might well be over a longer period.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

RobD said:

They are doing it the same or less, not necessarily less.
    Or they took the herd immunity strategy to heart.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    It doesn't say 1 in 5 aren't washing their hands. It says 82% are washing their hands more, or have started washing their hands.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

eadric said:

So that means

How can it be the highest daily total when it explicitly says that it is adding in people who haven’t previously been counted.
    The local fish and chip shop opens Friday and Saturday only, for telephone orders. That’s tomorrow’s dinner sorted.
  • Options
    Interesting article on the situation in Iran.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/02/coronavirus-pandemic-iran-regime-change-revolution/

TL:DR - the government is useless but this crisis may have slightly strengthened it.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    edited April 2020
    eadric said:

So that means

Once a week I believe. They had the first numbers released on Tuesday by the ONS.

The ONS briefing paper on Tuesday 31st covered the period up to WE 20th March and showed a total of 108 deaths from CV. This was 40 more than the previous stats to that date. Taken at face value that would indicate that deaths are running at perhaps 40% higher than the numbers from hospitals alone. But that is obviously only one data point so not sure how much value it really has.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

All the ones round here are closed.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

eadric said:

So that means

I'm not sure that's a one day stat. Might well be over a longer period.
    Yes sorry the 884 is a lump sum. Still, it is only 6 weeks since their first CV death.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    RobD said:

And surprising that confidence in the NHS ability to cope is rising despite all the stories regarding PPE and testing.

Unfortunately that confidence is not really based on anything concrete. I think many people are just expressing what they want to believe or hope is the case.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,826
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

All the ones round here are closed.
    My local Chinese did Deliveries only for 10 days but shut its doors on Monday. I don't know if the other takeaway option is open.
  • Options
    So.... I'm feeling ropey. Achey and shakey. Developing a sore throat and a tickly cough and really light headed. I've been at work all week, but just started 4 days off. Managed a shop last night after work so plenty of supplies in.
    I just don't want to pass whatever bug I have to my wife, but it's a bit difficult to isolate in our small house. I'll take the garden shed.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Yes
    Driving less, not avoiding leaving the house altogether. Only out when necessary for work, essentials and for exercise.
    Yes
    Same
    No
    Yes
    Always was, got a few bits of health sorted before the pandemic hit
    Same
    Same
    Wore a mask to get some cat food and litter at the shops, not out running or mucking our the nags.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159

So.... I'm feeling ropey. Achey and shakey. Developing a sore throat and a tickly cough and really light headed. I've been at work all week, but just started 4 days off. Managed a shop last night after work so plenty of supplies in.
    I just don't want to pass whatever bug I have to my wife, but it's a bit difficult to isolate in our small house. I'll take the garden shed.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully a standard cold.
  • Options

At the risk of being Mr Grumpy I am not sure I like this idea of clapping every Thursday. I hate enforced gesture stuff at the best of times.

It's NOT enforced. If it were, that would be appalling.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,936
    GIN1138 said:

I remember being in a Burger King in the 90s and went into the toilet where one of BKs staff was just finishing himself off at the urinal.

Well, at least now we know what's in the secret sauce.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    kinabalu said:

I like it. Is it not polite to say thank you?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    edited April 2020

Hope it`s not what you think it is.

I have a list in case I contract it:

stay calm, positive thoughts
    have paracetomol/Lemsip/cough sweets supplies nearby
    drink hot water and hot food (no ice cream)
    check oxygen levels with the gizmo Foxy told us about - if below 93 call 999
    gasping/can`t speak/choking for breath/lips blue - call 999
    keep phone near to you and a charging cable

Hope this helps, let`s hope it`s just a cold.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    Given a prominent Scots poster on here was advocating prosecuting them for perjury I am not entirely surprised.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    eadric said:

So that means

I doubt the 884 is a single day though?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    kyf_100 said:

GIN1138 said:

Well, at least now we know what's in the secret sauce.
    ;)
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

eadric said:

So that means

Once a week I believe. They had the first numbers released on Tuesday by the ONS.

The ONS briefing paper on Tuesday 31st covered the period up to WE 20th March and showed a total of 108 deaths from CV. This was 40 more than the previous stats to that date. Taken at face value that would indicate that deaths are running at perhaps 40% higher than the numbers from hospitals alone. But that is obviously only one data point so not sure how much value it really has.
    Total deaths announced in the UK were 177 on the 20th, or 144 if you want to take the prior day, so there's no evidence yet in the ONS data for a wider impact given they only show 108 as you say. On a YTD basis the ONS stats show that as of 12 days ago, around 5000 fewer people have died this year than compared to the prior 5 year average.
  • Options
    eadric said:

So that means

Why would we not be counting deaths in nursing homes? Surely we are?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    GIN1138 said:

I remember being in a Burger King in the 90s and went into the toilet where one of BKs staff was just finishing himself off at the urinal....
    Blimey.
    Would have put me off my chips, too.
  • Options
    Chris said:

It doesn't say 1 in 5 aren't washing their hands. It says 82% are washing their hands more, or have started washing their hands.

Therefore 18% are either washing their hands less or about the same or not at all. With presumably some double counting in there - since "not at all" could be no change or it could be less in the case of those who used to wash their hands but have now ceased to do so.

ON TOPIC
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

I remember being in a Burger King in the 90s and went into the toilet where one of BKs staff was just finishing himself off at the urinal....
    Blimey.
    Did you hear of the man who killed himself in a toilet?

He wanted to commit sewercide.
  • Options
    johnoundlejohnoundle Posts: 120
    Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Blimey.
    Was that part of a happy meal?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Blimey.
    Was that part of a happy meal?
    Doesn’t sound a very happy ending to me.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

eadric said:

So that means

I don't think we are, only deaths in hospitals as far as I am aware.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Stocky said:

eadric said:

So that means

Not even deaths at home?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

eadric said:

So that means

Daily stats are hospital only, presumably because they are easy to collect and come with an immediate doctor's certificate as to cause of death (or at least presence/absence of virus). ONS weekly stats which started this Tuesday I think will cover all deaths anywhere.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    OllyT said:

Stocky said:

eadric said:

So that means

The ONS is now recording all deaths where Coronavirus is mentioned on the death certificate. As at the only data point so far, it was 108 vs 177 announced deaths at this point - with an uncertain time lag you can't make anything of it, but deaths are certainly not being ignored. The weekly death stats come out on a 1 week lag and so far show absolutely no excess mortality but you would expect that to start changing in next Tuesday's update.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966

Are these the same types who don't change their pants often enough?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Stocky said:

OllyT said:

Stocky said:

eadric said:

So that means

Not even deaths at home?
    Just in hospital - France among others been doing same - France released a figure today of over 800 deaths ( I think) in nursing homes
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

eadric said:

So that means

Total deaths announced in the UK were 177 on the 20th, or 144 if you want to take the prior day, so there's no evidence yet in the ONS data for a wider impact given they only show 108 as you say. On a YTD basis the ONS stats show that as of 12 days ago, around 5000 fewer people have died this year than compared to the prior 5 year average.
    Thanks Maarsh. Obviously I have misread the ONS page.
  • Options

You are probably talking about the over 70s we are doing all this for. It’s always been them on the cruise ships.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    Another round of applause just broke out at 8pm.

I actually had to look it up to see what it was.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    egg said:

kinabalu said:

I have to say I'm not keen.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,210

Yep, clapping round here too!
  • Options
    A writer friends of mine lives on Newfoundland. There are currently 183 cases of CV as of today. The big news on the island this evening is that 143 of those cases have now been linked to a single funeral in St Johns in mid May.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159

Loads of clapping in our street.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130
    Coming on for 30% of recorded new cases today were in the US. Tomorrow New York alone will pass 100k cases. Its really unbelievable.
  • Options
    kjh said:

egg said:

kinabalu said:

How about instead of clapping, the whole nation came to the doorstep and sang “you’ll never walk alone” in unison?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Democratic National Congress postponed to w/c 17 August
  • Options
    We live in a road with large detached houses widely spaced, nobody out clapping last week. Every house bar 1 out this week, pots, pans, you name it. Can understand if people don't want to do it but is it really that much to ask given what NHS staff and carers are doing for us?
  • Options
    Just stepped outside for the 'clap for carers' and been told by a neighbour that my next door neighbour (who is an OAP who was shielding and scared of getting the virus) has been taken into hospital and confirmed positive with the virus and is currently getting treatment. She's been taken off the ventilator though so that's progress, fingers crossed for her.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

A writer friends of mine lives on Newfoundland. There are currently 183 cases of CV as of today. The big news on the island this evening is that 143 of those cases have now been linked to a single funeral in St Johns in mid May.

It is tales like this that make me sceptical of widespread asymptomatic infections.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    egg said:

kjh said:

egg said:

kinabalu said:

How about instead of clapping, the whole nation came to the doorstep and sang “you’ll never walk alone” in unison?
    I suspect I might find that emotional but still wouldn't like it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Premier League players should make a contribution but taking a pay cut that stays in the pockets of the owners helps no-one.

I've been very surprised not to see stories of players collectively donating a portion of their salaries to good causes and the like - easy PR win.
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    They will not be short of anything for themselves you can bet on that.
    Senior politicians absolutely should be prioritised. I'd extend that across the political aisles.
    Who would miss them, better to prioritise cleaners who would be missed
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    edited April 2020
    kle4 said:

The top Barca players have taken a massive cut to make sure noone is laid off.
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    Just had a neighbour knocking on my door, asking why I wasn't out clapping! About half a dozen people are standing in a group, chatting and clapping a couple of houses down.
    I said I'd forgotten (which I had), and gave a quick clap from the doorstep. Feel like a pariah now. Didn't have the guts to say that the small meet-up was probably a bad idea because of social distancing.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    egg said:

kjh said:

egg said:

kinabalu said:

I'd be tempted to sing "you'll never get a job" like I do at Anfield.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    egg said:

kjh said:

egg said:

kinabalu said:

Only if Rangers and Everton fans are fined if they don't join in.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    Not just clapping and banging pans but fireworks round our way as well. I imagine next week, the loudness competition is going to ramp up even further.
  • Options

Mid-Feb?
  • Options

Brexiteers...

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/801841527857278977?s=09
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    LucyJones said:

Just had a neighbour knocking on my door, asking why I wasn't out clapping! About half a dozen people are standing in a group, chatting and clapping a couple of houses down.
    I said I'd forgotten (which I had), and gave a quick clap from the doorstep. Feel like a pariah now. Didn't have the guts to say that the small meet-up was probably a bad idea because of social distancing.

Charity by humilitation. Not good.

Fine if you want to do it, but don't guilt trip others into doing it.
  • Options

We went and banged some pans. Couldn't hear anybody else, but not too much of a surprise. Not many folks in earshot.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Given a prominent Scots poster on here was advocating prosecuting them for perjury I am not entirely surprised.
    what utter bollox, unionist rag spewing crap as ever. Made up rubbish. as they desperately try to flog a dead horse. They are just trying to hound an innocent man, both them and the police should be ashamed. Time for them to give it a rest.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649

Mid-Feb?
    If it’s infecting people six weeks before they meet, we really are in trouble!
  • Options
    LucyJones said:

You should have held up a sign saying "keep 2 metres away please!" :)
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

Mid-Feb?
    If it’s infecting people six weeks before they meet, we really are in trouble!
    I blame that bloody Dr. Who - and that new fangled blue "isolation box" of hers.....
  • Options

Mid-Feb?
    Mid March?
  • Options
    RobD said:

I am amongst the ones without confidence, not through lack of effort or skill, just the simple overwhelming numbers. Certainly it will be a close run thing.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

We live in a road with large detached houses widely spaced, nobody out clapping last week. Every house bar 1 out this week, pots, pans, you name it. Can understand if people don't want to do it but is it really that much to ask given what NHS staff and carers are doing for us?

It is mawkish, and It is deliberately framed to be about the NHS when it could be just about doctors and nurses and support staff. I have nothing against the NHS, which in principle a wonderful thing, but plenty against NHS themed mawkishness, which brought us brexit. And I wonder how thrilled the medical profession are about it all and whether they wouldn't prefer some ppe and a pay rise.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Democratic National Congress postponed to w/c 17 August

Biden might not even know his own name by then....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    OllyT said:

Excellent humblebragging
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

LucyJones said:

Charity by humilitation. Not good.

Fine if you want to do it, but don't guilt trip others into doing it.
    Yes, I'm very surprised so quickly someone would go for the guilt tripping. Someone people get annoyed at being perceived to have to wear poppies and the like, going in too hard and chastising people for not clapping seems counter productive to fostering a feeling of togetherness.
This discussion has been closed.