Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Thursday PB Nighthawks Cafe after an evening away from cor

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited April 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Thursday PB Nighthawks Cafe after an evening away from coronavirus pandemic developments

I’ve just spent the last three hours totally away from issues relating to the virus thanks to the remarkable plan by the National Theatre to screen free on ‘YouTube a production from its National Theatre Live programme. One Man Two Guvnors with James Corden has just and it has been thoroughly entertaining.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    edited April 2020
    First at the bar, again!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I'll have a pint if your cafe serves that please.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Another richard
  • Options
    The president of Madrid region estimates 3000 deaths in old people’s homes, will go back and check my translation but ....
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Eadric - I apologise

Troops and police in Ecuador have collected at least 150 bodies from streets and homes in the country's most populous city Guayaquil amid warnings that as many as 3,500 people could die of the coronavirus in the city and surrounding province in the coming months.

A joint military and police task force sent out to gather corpses in the horror-struck port city had collected 150 in just three days, government spokesman Jorge Wated said late Wednesday.

Residents had published videos on social media showing abandoned bodies in the streets in the Latin American city worst hit by the pandemic.

Some left desperate messages for authorities to take away the corpses of people who had died in their homes.Authorities have not confirmed how many of the dead were victims of the coronavirus.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

The president of Madrid region estimates 3000 deaths in old people’s homes, will go back and check my translation but ....

And 2000 have died at home.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    Floater said:

Eadric - I apologise

Troops and police in Ecuador have collected at least 150 bodies from streets and homes in the country's most populous city Guayaquil amid warnings that as many as 3,500 people could die of the coronavirus in the city and surrounding province in the coming months.

A joint military and police task force sent out to gather corpses in the horror-struck port city had collected 150 in just three days, government spokesman Jorge Wated said late Wednesday.

Residents had published videos on social media showing abandoned bodies in the streets in the Latin American city worst hit by the pandemic.

Some left desperate messages for authorities to take away the corpses of people who had died in their homes.Authorities have not confirmed how many of the dead were victims of the coronavirus.

This will be India soon.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    Scott_xP said:
    I'd go along with the Telegraph's source. It may indeed have been a mistake.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

The current state of Internet technology makes that impossible but who knows we could see that within 5 years
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    Scott_xP said:
    Been saying this for a while. Not sure it's central Govts responsibility though, what are individual trusts doing?
  • Options
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    Scott_xP said:

It would be a terrible thing if Boris got seriously unwell......fingers and everything crossed for him....
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Been saying this for a while. Not sure it's central Govts responsibility though, what are individual trusts doing?
    Our local private school is making masks for local doctors
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

And 2000 have died at home.
    A more official view

There is no exact official number of deaths with coronavirus in nursing homes, but it is already well above 2,000. In fact, only in Madrid, the Community recognizes that if the number of deaths in residences is about a thousand a month, in the last month there have been 3,000, although they cannot confirm how many there have been due to coronaviruses. The Army is assisting in the disinfection work of many nursing homes
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing. The risks were no doubt considered and plans made. The fact is that the plan (I guess for protecting the weak and hoping that herd immunity would work) could not hold against the political cost of dead grandparents and press indignation. The issue now is how reasonably they can switch to providing the necessary kit for the NHS and whether people change their minds soon when they see the economic damage. My guess is they will, and in a few months the press and opposition will blame the government for not stopping lockdown earlier - it will be shameless.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    nichomar said:

Another richard

Is this a new PB game ?

We say the name of a PBer and see how fast they appear ?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    This is what I do not understand about the government right now. I don't expect the Cabinet to be in the lab with test tubes and microscopes but it is not taking bleeding obvious measures.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Another richard

Is this a new PB game ?

No,sorry .... Richard the third as in A Desmond
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    OT I've just the watched the NT stream of One Man, two Guvnors.

I haven't laughed so much out loud for years. A real tonic. If you watch it is quite long so settle down for an evening with drinks and nibbles. It's on Youtube for seven days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzqcRwWVv8k
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    JonathanD said:
    Perhaps its the SPADs and Sir Humphreys who are both crap.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing. The risks were no doubt considered and plans made. The fact is that the plan (I guess for protecting the weak and hoping that herd immunity would work) could not hold against the political cost of dead grandparents and press indignation. The issue now is how reasonably they can switch to providing the necessary kit for the NHS and whether people change their minds soon when they see the economic damage. My guess is they will, and in a few months the press and opposition will blame the government for not stopping lockdown earlier - it will be shameless.
    Actually we already know that risks were considered three years ago and no plans were made other than to suppress the report. Pre-Boris, of course.
  • Options
    Anyone want to guess.....

What will be the date when the uk Govt officially announces an end to Covid 19?

And how big will the UK economy be compared to the 1st February 2020?

I think 1st September 2021.....and our economy will be 83% the size....
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966

nichomar said:

Another richard

Is this a new PB game ?

Say the several different names of a PBer and see how fast they appear to deny that all but one isn't them?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

Scott_xP said:
    Sounds great. I hate to sound like SeanT but I suggested kids could make masks as a school activity before the schools left.
  • Options

The current state of Internet technology makes that impossible but who knows we could see that within 5 years
    I've always felt the Tab button should dispense drinks.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited April 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    He looks OK to me. I mean obviously you can see he's been/has been ill but compared to quite a lot of people eight days into their illness (day 8 is on average when you need ventilation) he's fine.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:
    He looks OK to me. I mean obviously you can see he's been/has been ill but compared to quite a lot of people eight days into the illness (day 8 is on average when you need ventilation) he's fine.
    He's definitely had it worse than Hancock though.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:
    He looks OK to me. I mean obviously you can see he's been/has been ill but compared to quite a lot of people eight days into the illness (day 8 is on average when you need ventilation) he's fine.
    He's definitely had it worse than Hancock though.
    Yes that's true. Well he's about 15 years older than Hancock and overweight so...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Doesn’t the graph show the peak at March 9th?

https://twitter.com/alistairhaimes/status/1245787483645845515?s=21
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    edited April 2020
    A thong?

People used to wear mask because they thought they were protecting themselves. Until that was revealed as fallacy.

Now something you already had in the house is just as good to show you are careful not to infect others? Truth is in this situation, with a cough and a sneeze you shouldn’t be out there anyway.

And whoever tried to fool everyone 2m is okay, when droplets from cough or sneeze go 7m needs hauling before us and grilled.

It also lives in faeces, pulling the flush with lid up can give it to you, added with the healthy hand dryers makes public or workplace loos the most riskiest of places.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    I tried to open a bottle of red wine tonight, and remembered I left my only corkscrew opener at a friends house. Gutted does not even begin to describe it.
  • Options

I tried to open a bottle of red wine tonight, and remembered I left my only corkscrew opener at a friends house. Gutted does not even begin to describe it.

I think you can open it with a lighter.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

I've always felt the Tab button should dispense drinks.
    You can see the technology emerging. The Apple Mac would, of course, be the first to have a drink dispensing function but the only drinks it would allow would be its own Apple branded range at a ludicrous cost and could only be supplied via Apple stores. Samsung would follow a few weeks later with a budget version
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576

It can be messy, but have you tried pushing the cork into the bottle?
  • Options
    tyson said:

Depends on a vaccine but it could be in your timeline and the size of the economy is maybe optimistic
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    RobD said:

A cavalry sabre works well. Ask one of your footman to bring one from the armoury.
  • Options

Do they still use corks? I thought it was 99 per cent screw tops these days. Just search for "how to open wine without a corkscrew" or some such. Or cheat and push the cork in.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

Scott_xP said:
    Sounds great. I hate to sound like SeanT but I suggested kids could make masks as a school activity before the schools left.
    Eton is making its online distance learning available to state schools.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

It won’t go off that quickly. Get another corkscrew.

Better still, buy screwcap bottles of wine.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited April 2020

Do they still use corks? I thought it was 99 per cent screw tops these days. Just search for "how to open wine without a corkscrew" or some such. Or cheat and push the cork in.
    Screw a 50mm self tapper in and then pull the cork with pliers

... or borrow your neighbour's corkscrew ;)
  • Options

It can be messy, but have you tried pushing the cork into the bottle?
    Works and yes messy.
  • Options

Out here mostly only cheap wine has a screw top the majority still has a cork.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572

Pushing the cork in is 'very difficult to impossible', depending how full the bottle is. Liquids are not ordinarily compressible.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Barnesian said:

I haven't laughed so much out loud for years. A real tonic. If you watch it is quite long so settle down for an evening with drinks and nibbles. It's on Youtube for seven days.

Yes watched it online with my partner too, quite long but very funny
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802

Scott_xP said:
    The failure to follow through on the thought that Coronavirus might be the next big one is, ultimately, a global failure, any domestic failure is just a slight addition. We could have done more as a planet to know, generically how a Coronavirus vaccine could be brought into production quickly, done enough off the back of smaller SARS outbreaks and seasonal Coronavirusses to have strategies further down the road than we have.

For the stuff that was fully in domestic control it seems to me, having caught the Hannah Fry Contagion thing the other night, that the example of flu is deeply relevant in all we have done.

In one way, we have had a lucky escape. Imagine this had been MERS-CoV2 gone wild, with the death rate of that disease. That would have been a genuine medieval destroyer of societies by the time it tamed itself by mutation.
  • Options

tyson said:

Depends on a vaccine but it could be in your timeline and the size of the economy is maybe optimistic
    My instinct was to go for 64%...but I depressed myself...and so went higher....

Economically we will be a mjuch poorer country possibly....hopefully emotionally and spiritually we will not....
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:
    He looks OK to me. I mean obviously you can see he's been/has been ill but compared to quite a lot of people eight days into their illness (day 8 is on average when you need ventilation) he's fine.
    Can anyone imagine Trump allowing himself to be pictured looking like that?
  • Options

To add: a wooden spoon is best. Wrap the top in something, towel or kitchen paper.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    And his record on holding Boris to account is stellar !!!

I cannot say how relieved I will be to see him gone, preferably to his allotment

The one person who damaged the labour party more than anyone in history

And I really hope Starmer is not daft enough to give him any position in the shadow cabinet
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    Endillion said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:
    You mean as opposed to being pictured as an orange panda with a comb-over?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907
    Sounds like the punchline to that old economist joke:

First, assume we have a corkscrew.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,767
    RobD said:

Or push the cork inti the bottle and pull it out with thick bit of string with a big end knot.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,767
    RobD said:

Or push the cork inti the bottle and pull it out with thick bit of string with a big end knot.
  • Options

push it in with a bit of brute force and the back end of a knife...I've been reduced to that a few times
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,936

I once watched a man open a wine bottle with using only a shoe.

Believe it or not it does work, and quite surprisingly quickly.

https://www.grubstreet.com/2013/06/how-to-open-wine-with-a-shoe.html
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865

I must be close on double figures for the number of corkscrews I have.

Does that count as lockdown hoarding?
  • Options

Pushing the cork in is 'very difficult to impossible', depending how full the bottle is. Liquids are not ordinarily compressible.
    It is quite easy to push a cork into a still wine bottle.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    tyson said:

push it in with a bit of brute force and the back end of a knife...I've been reduced to that a few times
    At the risk of getting the more bibulous pbers telling me to foxtrot oscar, I’m radically cutting down my alcohol intake while isolating. The main thing I’m noticing is that I’m sleeping much better.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    Endillion said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:
    No Johnson fan but he looks far more human and sympathetic in that video than any of Trump I have ever seen.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Economically we will be a mjuch poorer country possibly....hopefully emotionally and spiritually we will not....
    I think the end result of this will be a sea change away from greed and globalisation and a much more socially aware society, and hopefully kinder
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Endillion said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Looks ok to me.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    egg said:

A thong?

People used to wear mask because they thought they were protecting themselves. Until that was revealed as fallacy.

Now something you already had in the house is just as good to show you are careful not to infect others? Truth is in this situation, with a cough and a sneeze you shouldn’t be out there anyway.

And whoever tried to fool everyone 2m is okay, when droplets from cough or sneeze go 7m needs hauling before us and grilled.

It also lives in faeces, pulling the flush with lid up can give it to you, added with the healthy hand dryers makes public or workplace loos the most riskiest of places.
    OK.

You do know that droplets from coughs or sneezes are subject to gravity, right?

And, not only, that but they disperse over time, and that their intensity drops at a cube rate.

So, sure, if you're lying on the ground seven meters away, you might still get some flying fleghm... but it will be one hundredth of the amount someone gets if they're one meters from the sneezer.

This is not about reducing chance of infection to zero. It's about reducing it by an order of magnitude. Two meters does that.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,644
    Workshopping ideas on how to open a stubborn wine bottle. A job PB was made for.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

tyson said:

At the risk of getting the more bibulous pbers telling me to foxtrot oscar, I’m radically cutting down my alcohol intake while isolating. The main thing I’m noticing is that I’m sleeping much better.
    There comes a time when it is overall more enjoyable to wake up clear and ready to go than get wasted the night before.

Edit: I do drink but not a patch on what I used to drink.
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

I think the end result of this will be a sea change away from greed and globalisation and a much more socially aware society, and hopefully kinder
    Sorry but I doubt it it will be survival of the fittest, winner takes all.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

HYUFD said:

I cannot say how relieved I will be to see him gone, preferably to his allotment

And I really hope Starmer is not daft enough to give him any position in the shadow cabinet
    Starmer is not going to let Corbyn near....

It is the damage to the country that a weak opposition does,,,,,

Just think...if labour had not had such a mental collapse...you'd have Osborne now as PM, no Brexit....and a decent cabinet front bench of big hitters like Grieve, Hammond, May, Hunt, Rudd, etc.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Yes watched it online with my partner too, quite long but very funny
    Ohhh! I have wanted to see this for ages. I shall be checking it out.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

tyson said:

tyson said:

I hope you’re right. I am much more pessimistic. I fear things will kick off at some point.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

I have more hope to be honest that we will emerge a more caring society apart from some extreme elements on the right and left in a big minority
  • Options
    egg said:

A thong?

The 2m social distance isn't a modern idea novel to coronavirus. Two patients with CF who are highly at risk of getting deadly ill if they catch airborne bacteria from each other are not permitted within 6 feet of each other.
  • Options
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

Just think...if labour had not had such a mental collapse...you'd have Osborne now as PM, no Brexit....and a decent cabinet front bench of big hitters like Grieve, Hammond, May, Hunt, Rudd, etc.....
    Actually I could live with that
  • Options
    nichomar said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Well, let us hope not
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    WHO clearly don't understand how serious this crisis is.
  • Options
    isam said:

Doesn’t the graph show the peak at March 9th?

https://twitter.com/alistairhaimes/status/1245787483645845515?s=21

Yes but even if the lockdown worked immediately based on exponential growth the 9th should have been below a third of the peak. Based on doubling every 3 days exponentially and a 5 day spread the peak should have been about the 14th and more than 3 times higher than the 9th - but that didn't occur.

The lockdown didn't cause the peak according to that graph, it had already peaked before the lockdown. Possibly due to the Lombardy lockdown and it would have resumed growing afterwards.
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

You're a far more optimistic person than I am. I think we'll have a mixture of increased kindness and increased bitterness for a few months or years, then the grinding pressures of society will see us return to our previous state, for better and worse. Our stubborness and resilience can work both ways.
  • Options
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

Oh Lord. I can live with Osborne and Hunt but 'big hitters' like May - give me a break.

Corbyn did the nation a favour afterall it appears.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

I hope you’re right. I am much more pessimistic. I fear things will kick off at some point.
    I know it has highlighted how fortunate my wife and I in our old age and hope that we can come together to reflect on the suffering and vow to care for everyone and reject greed from any source
  • Options

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

Actually I could live with that
    I think 90% of us could have lived with that...Brexit was just an extreme position that suddenly hijacked the agenda from nowhere due to Cameron's miscalculation and Corbyn.....

all seems such a long time ago now....
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907
    kyf_100 said:

I once watched a man open a wine bottle with using only a shoe.

Believe it or not it does work, and quite surprisingly quickly.

https://www.grubstreet.com/2013/06/how-to-open-wine-with-a-shoe.html
    Wow. By far the best answer. Can’t believe that works?!?
  • Options

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

Oh Lord. I can live with Osborne and Hunt but 'big hitters' like May - give me a break.

Depends. A bigger loss in 2017 might have killed Corbynism. Is it now embedded even though he is going?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,469
    "Peter Hitchens joins Brendan O’Neill to discuss the coronavirus crisis."

https://www.spiked-online.com/podcast-episode/in-this-lockdown-dissent-is-a-moral-duty/
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

GIN1138 said:
    WHO clearly don't understand how serious this crisis is.
    The biggest reason not to drink too much during this is that it increases the risk of a domestic accident that might put you in hospital where you're likely to catch the virus.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

You're a far more optimistic person than I am. I think we'll have a mixture of increased kindness and increased bitterness for a few months or years, then the grinding pressures of society will see us return to our previous state, for better and worse. Our stubborness and resilience can work both ways.
    It is upto each and everyone to learn from the suffering of so many and soften their attitudes towards a kinder gentler society. I know many will not see it this way but hopefully a good majority will
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

I know it has highlighted how fortunate my wife and I in our old age and hope that we can come together to reflect on the suffering and vow to care for everyone and reject greed from any source
    Well said. I hope you prevail.
    Meanwhile others are looking to allocate blame. Some in the west blaming China, some in Russia blaming the west. A lot of people will not be happy with financial ruin.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

Depends. A bigger loss in 2017 might have killed Corbynism. Is it now embedded even though he is going?
    I'm hopeful enough sane people on the left realise the 2019 result has shown the 2017 loss not to be the white light they thought it was. And if they're not I'm hopeful the British public have enough sense to give the same verdict until they do.
This discussion has been closed.