Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s new leader now has 2-3 months to prepare. How does he

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited April 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s new leader now has 2-3 months to prepare. How does he – or she – make use of that time?

Not since the Conservatives’ 2001 leadership contest ended on September 11 that year has such an election been so overshadowed by wider events. Whoever succeeds Jeremy Corbyn as Labour leader later today will likely find it impossible to take the fight immediately to the Tories. Parliament won’t sit for weeks and when it does return might well be in a muted form, the country as a whole is in a state of suspended animation, and criticising the government in the middle of a crisis – before the full facts or outcome are known – is a politically precarious business.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    First, suckers!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited April 2020
    Parliament won’t sit for weeks and when it does return might well be in a muted form, the country as a whole is in a state of suspended animation, and criticising the government in the middle of a crisis – before the full facts or outcome are known – is a politically precarious business.
    There's no plausible full set of facts or outcomes that's going to show it was a good idea to faff around for weeks, let the Madrid game and Cheltenham go ahead and make up weird lies about shaking hands with infected people at a press conference where you were supposed to be telling people how to avoid getting infected. I mean, there was arguably the "herd immunity" thing which may still yet turn out to have been the right way to go but that argument ended when they went into lockdown.

This is the period when the narrative gets set. The government botched the response.

Attack attack attack.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    FPT, some really nice, detailed summaries of East Asian responses to covid19. (The first ones are a bit old.)

Taiwan
    Singapore
    South Korea
    China
    Japan
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    edited April 2020

Parliament won’t sit for weeks and when it does return might well be in a muted form, the country as a whole is in a state of suspended animation, and criticising the government in the middle of a crisis – before the full facts or outcome are known – is a politically precarious business.

There's no plausible full set of facts or outcomes that's going to show it was a good idea to faff around for weeks, let the Madrid game and Cheltenham go ahead and make up weird lies about shaking hands with infected people at a press conference where you were supposed to be telling people how to avoid getting infected. I mean, there was arguably the "herd immunity" thing which may still yet turn out to have been the right way to go but that argument ended when they went into lockdown.

This is the period when the narrative gets set. The government botched the response.

Attack attack attack.
    I’m sure what the public want to hear now is some know it all wealthy Labour lawyer who isn’t hurting at all due to the crisis, scold us all that we should have all been locked up earlier and stricter and ergo for longer.

We are all gagging to hear that.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    TGOHF666 said:

I’m sure what the public want to hear now is some know it all wealthy Labour lawyer who isn’t hurting at all due to the crisis, scold us all that we should have all been locked up earlier and stricter and ergo for longer.

Why would he be saying that? The lockdown is what happened when the government failed to do less disruptive things earlier and ran out of runway.

Why are you locked up? Because your government fucked up.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Why would he be saying that? The lockdown is what happened when the government failed to do less disruptive things earlier and ran out of runway.

Spoiler - all the pressure to lift the lockdown will come from Con politicians and Labour will want to keep it in place. Coming this April...
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

TGOHF666 said:

I know you’re consistently very keen on this line because, well, Japan. But virtually every country in the world is currently locked up. Including countries with very few disclosed cases. And many in Europe weeks before us. And even some of your favoured East Asian countries are now locking down.

So the idea, i’m afraid, that taking some different course would have avoided the present lockdown (which remains less extreme and more bearable than the lockdowns in many parts of Europe and the world) really is fantasy IMO. Regardless of Japan.

The only seriously pushed criticism in this country (excluding the herd immunity, let it rip crowd) is why lockdown was delayed so long. Not, why did it happen at all.
  • Options
    Rambling nonsense - another rich metropolitan scolder...
  • Options
    alex_ said:

TGOHF666 said:

I know you’re consistently very keen on this line because, well, Japan. But virtually every country in the world is currently locked up. Including countries with very few disclosed cases. And many in Europe weeks before us. And even some of your favoured East Asian countries are now locking down.

So the idea, i’m afraid, that taking some different course would have avoided the present lockdown (which remains less extreme and more bearable than the lockdowns in many parts of Europe and the world) really is fantasy IMO. Regardless of Japan.

The only seriously pushed criticism in this country (excluding the herd immunity, let it rip crowd) is why lockdown was delayed so long. Not, why did it happen at all.
    Furthermore bear in mind the additional criticism early on that the Govt was simply offering “guidance”, but this was being widely ignored because of the “confusion” that it wasn’t being backed up by legal powers. Maybe Japanese society is different and they obey their Govt regardless. Maybe there is a greater fear in society because of memories of SARS. Maybe Japan just in general does not involve much mass social contact. But it is total speculation to think a Japanese approach would have worked/had the same effect here.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited April 2020
    My outsider’s impression of the Labour machine is that its complex organisation and many committees, and its love of meetings, procedures and resolutions are not necessarily an aid to its cause.

It's almost as though having power within the Labour Party is considered more important to these people than having real power in the country.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited April 2020

Attack attack attack.

I can see two opportunities for Labour:

1) Start saying that the government should have shut the borders in February. Politicians love paradox, and this would be a great chance for Starmer to show that he recognizes the downside to people jetting round the world.

2) As per @Pulpstar , point out that it is blue-collareded workers who are the ones being sacrificed in terms of building up herd immunity.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    Er ... 12th.

This is fun from last night:
    GIN1138 said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Sounds far fetched? Isn't it about 96% similar to SARS which originated from bats?
    The 96% is entirely meaningless without the very precise context.

@eadric shares 90% of his genetic material with his next door's cat, but I wonder how many times he has caught cat flu?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    alex_ said:

TGOHF666 said:

Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore. They have all managed so far to substantially slow the growth of the virus without the drastic lockdowns that become necessary when you let it get out of control. It may yet turn out not to be enough, and they may end up resorting to more drastic responses like the British one, but if they do it'll be after gaining valuable time. A complete lockdown is not the only policy option.

Look, we already know a lot about how this thing transmits. We know that some situations are high-risk, and others pose some risk. Removing all the situations that pose *some* risk is extremely disruptive. Removing the situations that pose *high* risk is also disruptive, but much less so.

Now, you may be right that this is not really understood in Britain. A lot of people on this website really seem to assume that there's nothing between "ask people to wash their hands" and "nobody is allowed to leave their house any more", and maybe that's representative of British voters. But think about what happens next. You can't stay in your house forever. Sooner or later the general lockdown is going to have to end. But when it ends the virus will still be there. You can't just go back to normal - if you do it'll just get out of control again, and you'll go straight back into lockdown. What's going to have to happen is exactly what's already been happening in East Asia: Life goes on, but with restrictions, designed to keep the world turning but keep the virus in its box. And when that happens, people are going to wonder why they weren't doing it in the first place.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

alex_ said:

TGOHF666 said:

Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore. They have all managed so far to substantially slow the growth of the virus without the drastic lockdowns that become necessary when you let it get out of control.people are going to wonder .
    I think you're being a bit slippery. Singapore, Hong Kong and South Korea had incredibly stringent measures. South Korea went into total lockdown.

Where you're correct is that they did it very early and therefore were able to be a little less strict later.
  • Options
    I will wee myself laughing if it's a she
  • Options
    edited April 2020

I think you're being a bit slippery. Singapore, Hong Kong and South Korea had incredibly stringent measures. South Korea went into total lockdown.

I'm not being slippery, I promise. I might just be wrong though. Did South Korea go into a total lockdown???

Edit: Maybe you're thinking of Hong Kong, I think they had something close???
  • Options
    edited April 2020
  • Options
    edited April 2020

alex_ said:

TGOHF666 said:

Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore. They have all managed so far to substantially slow the growth of the virus without the drastic lockdowns that become necessary when you let it get out of control. It may yet turn out not to be enough, and they may end up resorting to more drastic responses like the British one, but if they do it'll be after gaining valuable time. A complete lockdown is not the only policy option.

Look, we already know a lot about how this thing transmits. We know that some situations are high-risk, and others pose some risk. Removing all the situations that pose *some* risk is extremely disruptive. Removing the situations that pose *high* risk is also disruptive, but much less so.

Now, you may be right that this is not really understood in Britain. A lot of people on this website really seem to assume that there's nothing between "ask people to wash their hands" and "nobody is allowed to leave their house any more", and maybe that's representative of British voters. But think about what happens next. You can't stay in your house forever. Sooner or later the general lockdown is going to have to end. But when it ends the virus will still be there. You can't just go back to normal - if you do it'll just get out of control again, and you'll go straight back into lockdown. What's going to have to happen is exactly what's already been happening in East Asia: Life goes on, but with restrictions, designed to keep the world turning but keep the virus in its box. And when that happens, people are going to wonder why they weren't doing it in the first place.
    Your missing my main point. Which is that with the arguable exception of your small group, MOST govts have introduced lockdowns. Many with far far fewer declared cases than here. They had just as much warning as us, and time to observe “what works”. But they still went down the lockdown route. They have not chosen your preferred policy prescription. The U.K. is not out of line on this.

There will be little political mileage in the U.K. from a new Labour leader trying to argue that the U.K. should have been able to avoid a lockdown by acting differently. Not when a lockdown of varying degrees is the consensus approach in most of the World. And ours is more bearable than most.

The preferred “lines of attack” will all be on preparedness. Underinvestment. Lack of PPE. Lack of ventilator capacity. Not “why did we end up in lockdown?”.

And the comparisons will be with Europe. Not Japan. Because people don’t know anything about Japan.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

TGOHF666 said:

Your missing my main point. Which is that with the arguable exception of your small group, MOST govts have introduced lockdowns. Many with far far fewer declared cases than here. They had just as much warning as us, and time to observe “what works”. But they still went down the lockdown route. They have not chosen your preferred policy prescription. The U.K. is not out of line on this.

There will be little political mileage in the U.K. from a new Labour leader trying to argue that the U.K. should have been able to avoid a lockdown by acting differently. Not when a lockdown of varying degrees is the consensus approach in most of the World. And ours is more bearable than most.
    You're right that it's not out of line with the US or the rest of Europe, they mostly screwed up in the same way: They left it too late until all they could do was a complete lockdown. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a monster failure or that the voters will think it's fine - Gordon Brown didn't get let off the hook for spending too much before the Lehman Shock just because other European countries had also spent too much before the Lehman Shock.

And although it probably didn't alter the big picture much, the British added a few extra flourishes of their own, like the abortive herd immunity thing and the lie about shaking hands with infected people.

The British government made very serious mistakes, with catastrophic consequences on a scale not seen in most voters' lifetimes. Other governments made similar mistakes, that's true. But the opposition would be mad not to try to hold the government it opposes accountable for them.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

I'm not being slippery, I promise. I might just be wrong though. Did South Korea go into a total lockdown???

Edit: Maybe you're thinking of Hong Kong, I think they had something close???
    Okay sorry if that was a little strong but they were really stringent early on, I promise. I was out there in February.

South Korea went into mini lockdown for a long weekend from 21st to 23rd February. Basically everyone was asked to stay at home. Then the authorities carried out a massive deep clean including spraying streets. The city of Daegu remained under more stringent measures for longer.

Hong Kong was onto this lightning fast, sealing borders partially and later fully. They also screened everyone on arrival: something the UK is STILL not doing - gobsmacking.

Singapore has been strict from the outset.

Did you know, for example, that you're forbidden from going on public transport in Hong Kong, Thailand etc. without wearing a mask?

I think my point is that we might have the wrong impression from what you posted earlier that those countries you listed are taking a Swedish approach. They really aren't. The term 'social distancing' was coined by South Korea. These countries introduced tough measures very early on.

I guess what we could say is that because they clamped down very early with strict measures they have avoided the necessity for lengthy total lockdown.

As for the UK ...
  • Options
    ... As for the UK I'm sure some people have noted the inherent contradictions in the Gov't policy. Most of the 'regulations' are advisory. There's nothing to stop you at present in England from exercising 10 times a day. There's nothing illegal about going out for a six hour cycle ride.

They can ramp up the social stigmatisation as much as they like but we aren't under an enforced lockdown.

Thank goodness.
  • Options

I think my point is that we might have the wrong impression from what you posted earlier that those countries you listed are taking a Swedish approach. They really aren't. The term 'social distancing' was coined by South Korea. These countries introduced tough measures very early on.

Fair enough, I really didn't mean to give that impression.
  • Options

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

TGOHF666 said:

You're right that it's not out of line with the US or the rest of Europe, they mostly screwed up in the same way: They left it too late until all they could do was a complete lockdown. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a monster failure or that the voters will think it's fine - Gordon Brown didn't get let off the hook for spending too much before the Lehman Shock just because other European countries had also spent too much before the Lehman Shock.

And although it probably didn't alter the big picture much, the British added a few extra flourishes of their own, like the abortive herd immunity thing and the lie about shaking hands with infected people.

The British government made very serious mistakes, with catastrophic consequences on a scale not seen in most voters' lifetimes. Other governments made similar mistakes, that's true. But the opposition would be mad not to try to hold its government accountable for them.
    I’m not just talking about the US, or Europe (although those are where the comparisons will be made). What about Australia? Or Africa? Or South America? Or....

Japan (and East Asia) are a long way away. People don’t know much about their people. Or their Govts. Or how their societies are structured or operate. The Govt’s reputation is not going to rest on how we fared relative to Japan. However successful or otherwise their approach might be. And the opposition won’t try to use Japan as a basis to attack the Govt as a result.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,402
    Interesting argument - so politically does the Government need to pull him in more than just attending Cobra?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    alex_ said:

I’m not just talking about the US, or Europe (although those are where the comparisons will be made). What about Australia? Or Africa? Or South America? Or....

Japan (and East Asia) are a long way away. People don’t know much about their people. Or their Govts. Or how their societies are structured or operate. The Govt’s reputation is not going to rest on how we fared relative to Japan. However successful or otherwise their approach might be. And the opposition won’t try to use Japan as a basis to attack the Govt as a result.

No, they won't say "why didn't we do what Japan did", they'll focus on the specifics that caused the virus to spread, like "why did the government let people travel unimpeded from a raging pandemic in Madrid to wander around the bars of Liverpool?"

Where I came in was that I said the opposition could criticize the government for botching the initial response, and @TGOHF666 responded that the voters wouldn't be impressed by being told they should have been in lockdown for longer, and I've been trying to explain that there were plenty of policy options that don't consist of a longer lockdown.

Read @Mysticrose, s/he puts it better...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

... As for the UK I'm sure some people have noted the inherent contradictions in the Gov't policy. Most of the 'regulations' are advisory. There's nothing to stop you at present in England from exercising 10 times a day. There's nothing illegal about going out for a six hour cycle ride.

They can ramp up the social stigmatisation as much as they like but we aren't under an enforced lockdown.

Thank goodness.

The exercise regulations aren't actually aimed at those who are going out the house to exercise properly I think. It's to prevent people having a day out at the beach etc. The portion of the population who were running twice a day before the lockdown is err small.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

TGOHF666 said:

The British government made very serious mistakes, with catastrophic consequences on a scale not seen in most voters' lifetimes. Other governments made similar mistakes, that's true. But the opposition would be mad not to try to hold its government accountable for them.

The two big political attack lines in the U.K. are 1) testing 2) PPE for frontline staff. And reasons for shortages of both.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    Excellent piece. Starmer could potentially gain control of the NEC today if three by-election results go his way, though restrictions on who could vote in those make that unlikely. If not, it will take a few more months. Unfortunately, though, Labour is stuck with an unwieldy organisation as the unions will never agree to significant change. The trick will be finding ways to get round it.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

The two big political attack lines in the U.K. are 1) testing 2) PPE for frontline staff. And reasons for shortages of both.

Those are definitely good attack lines and the opposition should of course use them but they're liable to be short term, and they'll probably get fixed. But I also think the opposition need to establish a more enduring underlying narrative about why people are in the mess they're in, like the thing the Tories had about fixing the roof while the sun shone.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    American betting news - Republicans going to the Supreme Court to make voting harder

https://twitter.com/MollyBeck/status/1246263357587501056?s=19
  • Options

alex_ said:

No, they won't say "why didn't we do what Japan did", they'll focus on the specifics that caused the virus to spread, like "why did the government let people travel unimpeded from a raging pandemic in Madrid to wander around the bars of Liverpool?"

Where I came in was that I said the opposition could criticize the government for botching the initial response, and @TGOHF666 responded that the voters wouldn't be impressed by being told they should have been in lockdown for longer, and I've been trying to explain that there were plenty of policy options that don't consist of a longer lockdown.

Read @Mysticrose, s/he puts it better...
    It’s all nuance. In most people’s minds shutting down football=lockdown. So a football match wasn’t cancelled. So Cheltenham wasn’t cancelled. Nor was every football match in the country the preceding weekend. The arguments are about why the Govt wait until Thursday to do something they could/should have done 5 days earlier. I’m not saying you might not be right. I’m saying it is unlikely to be the focus of political attack. And people will be more concerned for the future than the past. The past is for another day.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,280
    I expect to see a drastic improvement in Labour's performance as an opposition political party - starting this afternoon. Not as a government in waiting, but as a half-competent opposition able to hold the Government to account on the basics.

That's how crap Corbyn was.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Excellent piece. Starmer could potentially gain control of the NEC today if three by-election results go his way, though restrictions on who could vote in those make that unlikely. If not, it will take a few more months. Unfortunately, though, Labour is stuck with an unwieldy organisation as the unions will never agree to significant change. The trick will be finding ways to get round it.

How much trust can you accumulate by operating in a devious way to get round things?

Sometimes a battle is a better route.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251
    TGOHF666 said:

Rambling nonsense - another rich metropolitan scolder...
    Beyond the question of millionaire footballers bailing out billionaire owners lies the wider question of the extent to which there is a coordinated government spin operation to distract from its own failings by wildly deflecting blame to outside organisations like football or racing.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Thank goodness.

The exercise regulations aren't actually aimed at those who are going out the house to exercise properly I think. It's to prevent people having a day out at the beach etc. The portion of the population who were running twice a day before the lockdown is err small.
    Of course having a day at the beach (provided it's empty or largely empty) is no trouble at all.

And they do exist in the UK. We found a lovely and completely deserted one on the isle of wight.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917

Attack attack attack.

I disagree. The real attack mileage will be in what the government does about recouping the hundreds of billions spent at a time when tax income is much, much lower. There are going to be a lot of unpopular choices made. There will be plenty of ammunition.

• Options
    FPT - can't remember who it was who said it but it was spot on that Taiwan and Hong Kong should put paid to any idea that the Chinese don't like or "do" democracy, or can't handle it.

Some of the bravest and most passionate democrats in the world at the moment are ethnically Chinese.

Joshua Wong is one of my heroes.
  • Options

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

TGOHF666 said:

The British government made very serious mistakes, with catastrophic consequences on a scale not seen in most voters' lifetimes. Other governments made similar mistakes, that's true. But the opposition would be mad not to try to hold the government it opposes accountable for them.
    I think catastrophic is a bit strong for the UK.

It isn't for the USA, IMHO.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Those are definitely good attack lines and the opposition should of course use them but they're liable to be short term, and they'll probably get fixed. But I also think the opposition need to establish a more enduring underlying narrative about why people are in the mess they're in, like the thing the Tories had about fixing the roof while the sun shone.
    The longer term narrative will be about underlying investment in crisis planning. The effect of austerity. That to save millions we’ve ended up having to spend billions.

Not I think decisions made over the course of a few weeks and following expert advice. And I suspect it will be very hard to find examples of Govt decisions being taken in defiance of expert advice. Arguably in fact I suspect that future inquiries may find that mistakes were made due to politicians NOT overruling expert advice, and too much reliance/and lack of challenge on modelling. Not enough use of the precautionary principle.
  • Options

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

TGOHF666 said:

I think catastrophic is a bit strong for the UK.

It isn't for the USA, IMHO.
    I suspect EiT is meaning in economic terms, not in health outcome terms.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    It must have been a tough ask of RLB and LN to have to prerecord victory speeches.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

Pulpstar said:

Thank goodness.

Of course having a day at the beach (provided it's empty or largely empty) is no trouble at all.

And they do exist in the UK. We found a lovely and completely deserted one on the isle of wight.
    Priory Bay?

The governments problem is that accepting that means the beach on Sunday will be packed. All these various activities only work if a handful of people do them. Which means saying no but turning a blind eye.
  • Options

It must have been a tough ask of RLB and LN to have to prerecord victory speeches.

Why was such an approach even necessary? Or desirable? Even for the winner the tone of a victory speech might be different and altered rapidly dependent on the nature/scale of victory.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

In third place is LN, and this is the victory speech you missed,
    In second place.....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Thank goodness.

Priory Bay?

The governments problem is that accepting that means the beach on Sunday will be packed. All these various activities only work if a handful of people do them. Which means saying no but turning a blind eye.
    Brook Bay.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 775
    Must reading for those assessing the UK data. Essentially there is a delay in reporting deaths, which means 'the curve' of deaths is different to what you'd think from looking at the trend in the headline numbers.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/04/why-what-we-think-we-know-about-the-uks-coronavirus-death-toll-is-wrong

• Options
    edited April 2020

Attack attack attack.
    I disagree. The real attack mileage will be in what the government does about recouping the hundreds of billions spent at a time when tax income is much, much lower. There are going to be a lot of unpopular choices made. There will be plenty of ammunition.

The political debate will turn on what can be done to make sure this situation never happens again. Whoever has a credible plan will be well positioned.

Having tens of thousands of spare ICU beds must be cheaper than the current ever expanding rescue package.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    MattW said:

Interesting argument - so politically does the Government need to pull him in more than just attending Cobra?

Politically, Sir Keith Stormer really needs a week of Covid-19. Or he'll never be able to compete with Boris's Man of the People "I suffered this with you" schtick....
  • Options
    philiph said:

In third place is LN, and this is the victory speech you missed,
    In second place.....
    "Let's look at what you could have won...."

Sorry Labour, you got the tumble dryer. Never mind - it's the speed boat next time....honest.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Thank goodness.

Priory Bay?

Brook Bay.
    Low tide only, though! I hope you found the UK’s most complete dinosaur footprint fossil
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Worth remembering with Labour that not only has it never had a female leader but no female candidate has ever beaten any male candidates.

Let's see if that ends today. One suspects no. Keir has what it takes to be Labour leader - a penis.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Worth remembering with Labour that not only has it never had a female leader but no female candidate has ever beaten any male candidates.

Let's see if that ends today. One suspects no. Keir has what it takes to be Labour leader - a penis.

I can only think Labour fears it might end up with a Fatcha.

Or a Theresa May.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

I can only think Labour fears it might end up with a Fatcha.

Or a Theresa May.
    to quote Caroline Flint, women are just window dressing.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

Must reading for those assessing the UK data. Essentially there is a delay in reporting deaths, which means 'the curve' of deaths is different to what you'd think from looking at the trend in the headline numbers.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/04/why-what-we-think-we-know-about-the-uks-coronavirus-death-toll-is-wrong

Lol - they were a lagging enough indicator as it was.
  • Options
    Anyway, an early outing for Moth-trap News. Warmer, cloudier, flat calm = moths. 103 moths of 18 species, including 5 new for the year. Highlight was a Streamer.

• Options
    U
    IanB2 said:

Attack attack attack.

The political debate will turn on what can be done to make sure this situation never happens again. Whoever has a credible plan will be well positioned.

Having tens of thousands of spare ICU beds must be cheaper than the current ever expanding rescue package.
    Is that actually a trade off? I think the number of ICU beds is probably independent of the economic package. Spare capacity in ICU is probably more a trade off between expenditure and better health outcomes. The expenditure question is more one for the specific additional health costs generated by the current crisis?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116

Anyway, an early outing for Moth-trap News. Warmer, cloudier, flat calm = moths. 103 moths of 18 species, including 5 new for the year. Highlight was a Streamer.

I misread that last sentence quite badly (still half asleep). I thought it was a bit strange you were describing Starmer as a highlight and naming a moth after him before he’s even been named leader.
  • Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 366
    I think it would be wise to assume that all Party Conferences are suspended until further notice. Looking at the data from other European countries it seems that there is a stable equilibrium of around 4,000 - 6,000 new cases per day, with the R0 increasing below this level and decreasing when new cases are higher. How does the government release the lockdown if there are 4,000 new cases still happening every day?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    edited April 2020
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Thank goodness.

Priory Bay?

Along the Military Road there are several coves that are empty, even in the height of summer.
  • Options
    fox327 said:

I think it would be wise to assume that all Party Conferences are suspended until further notice. Looking at the data from other European countries it seems that there is a stable equilibrium of around 4,000 - 6,000 new cases per day, with the R0 increasing below this level and decreasing when new cases are higher. How does the government release the lockdown if there are 4,000 new cases still happening every day?

So how do Labour announce their leader? Rules are clear - the election must be held at the main party conference or a special conference.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Today is a good day for the Labour Party. Potentially the first really good day for 10 or even 13 years.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,118
    Lombardy may be approaching herd immunity. 70% of blood donors in one of the epicentres had antibodies but had never developed symptoms -

https://www.lastampa.it/topnews/primo-piano/2020/04/02/news/coronavirus-castiglione-d-adda-e-un-caso-di-studio-il-70-dei-donatori-di-sangue-e-positivo-1.38666481/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Today is a good day for the Labour Party. Potentially the first really good day for 10 or even 13 years.

dream on

• Options
    edited April 2020

Could you re-post me your beginners guide to mothing? I need another weird hobby for Mrs Foxy to roll her eyes at. I rather like the idea of micro safaris in my own garden!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Someone asked who the sensible woman in the orange shawl was. The answer is the smartest person in the room

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1246287986943279106
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

As long as it does not turn out to be like the infamous Anastasio Somoza elections:

‘Indeed, you won the elections, but I won the count.’
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

fox327 said:

So how do Labour announce their leader? Rules are clear - the election must be held at the main party conference or a special conference.
    Presumably a special online conference sticks the box?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

fox327 said:

Well, presumably it will have to, and the NEC will no doubt agree to it. But it does occur to me if the Corbynistas lose and behave like the spoiled arseholes they undoubtedly are, they could launch a legal challenge to void the election on the basis it was improperly concluded.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

dream on

Not a dream. Reality. All three are better than Corbyn. Two out of three are better than Milliband and potentially better than Brown.

Rejoice!
  • Options

Nothing a good can of fly spray wouldn't sort out.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

Yes, I linked from the HSJ, some of this weeks reported deaths occurred as long as 2 weeks ago.

• Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    alex_ said:

U

IanB2 said:

Attack attack attack.

Is that actually a trade off? I think the number of ICU beds is probably independent of the economic package. Spare capacity in ICU is probably more a trade off between expenditure and better health outcomes. The expenditure question is more one for the specific additional health costs generated by the current crisis?
    If you can show u can create 10000 extra ICU beds in pop-up hospitals in about a month you maybe dont need to pay for permanent capacity. But you do need the ventilators, PPE and the staff to equip them when eventually needed.
    Sunak's rescue package does make it harder to argue against higher public spending if the BoE are picking up most of the debt at little cost to the exchequer. But maybe it only works this time because most other western economies are doing the same so Sterling doesnt take such a big hit.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

dream on

Not a dream. Reality. All three are better than Corbyn. Two out of three are better than Milliband and potentially better than Brown.

Rejoice!
    youre back to the window dressing argument.. What policies has Starmer got to attract voters in the areas Labour has lost ?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Pulpstar said:

Ratters said:

Lol - they were a lagging enough indicator as it was.
    bit disengenuous of a graphic claiming to make the situation clearer to use a day when the reporting time changed so it wasn't a full 24 hours as their example of how daily reporting numbers can be wrong, without flagging that point on the graphic.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ratters said:

Yes, I linked from the HSJ, some of this weeks reported deaths occurred as long as 2 weeks ago.

Is there anywhere we can view the true death count ?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ratters said:

Quite useful for the government then that they'll still have some lagged bad news to throw at people when trying to enforce the tail end of lockdown and people are itching to start life again.
  • Options
    @Foxy Obviously it'll be incomplete but a record of COVID deaths by actual date.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

dream on

Rejoice!
    youre back to the window dressing argument.. What policies has Starmer got to attract voters in the areas Labour has lost ?
    Leaders matter. The policies will follow. Rejoice!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Ratters said:

Is there anywhere we can view the true death count ?
    The ONS weekly death stats is based on actual recorded day of death - but it's weekly and released on a 10 day lag. As at 20th March there were fewer officially recorded coronavirus deaths than the daily released stat would have suggested.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I misread that last sentence quite badly (still half asleep). I thought it was a bit strange you were describing Starmer as a highlight and naming a moth after him before he’s even been named leader.
    There are some great moth names you could try and put to the appropriate politician (or pb poster!). The Confused. The Iron Prominent. The Anomolous. The Grey Square. The Gothic. The Hebrew Character. Ashworth's Rustic. The Conformist. The Nonconformist. Blair's Shoulder-knot. The Brick. The Snout. The Vapourer. The Cameo. Old Lady. The Sprawler (bagged by Jacob Rees Mogg!). The Druid. The Sorceror. The Shark. The Passenger. The Tunbridge Wells Gem. The Turnip....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

fox327 said:

Well, presumably it will have to, and the NEC will no doubt agree to it. But it does occur to me if the Corbynistas lose and behave like the spoiled arseholes they undoubtedly are, they could launch a legal challenge to void the election on the basis it was improperly concluded.
    No, I don't think so. I think the fight has gone out of the Trots, who will go back to fighting amongst themselves. I sense a determination to rebuild an election winning platform not seen in Labour for 3 decades.

The next election takes place in a different world, post Brexit, post coronavirus. Rather than nitpicking over PPE and technicalities of lockdown, Labour needs to do more strategic thinking. What does an election winning social democratic platform look like in the 21st Century? Who should our international partners and friends be? China or the EU, Trumpistan or Saudi? How do we shift to a green economy and maintain living standards?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    https://twitter.com/Jderbyshire/status/1246227307574054919

Is Corbyn's legacy going to be BoZo delivering his agenda...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Death to the Jews and a united Ireland ?

No.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

dream on

Rejoice!
    Yes they matter, and Starmer is a grey suit versus the colourful Boris.

I struggle to see how a metropolitan Londony type will connect with a welder in Stoke.

Labour's old reliable argument "not a Tory" got blown out of the water at the last eslection, what is going to replace it ?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135

ydoethur said:

There are some great moth names you could try and put to the appropriate politician (or pb poster!). The Confused. The Iron Prominent. The Anomolous. The Grey Square. The Gothic. The Hebrew Character. Ashworth's Rustic. The Conformist. The Nonconformist. Blair's Shoulder-knot. The Brick. The Snout. The Vapourer. The Cameo. Old Lady. The Sprawler (bagged by Jacob Rees Mogg!). The Druid. The Sorceror. The Shark. The Passenger. The Tunbridge Wells Gem. The Turnip....
    The Turnip.... :)
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Things could still go badly wrong for the Tories but they have the armour of the experts behind them. The sight of thick journalists trying to make debating points when they don't know what they're talking about is unedifying.

I feel sorry for some of the clowns. When the experts bite back, it looks like they're trying to discuss relativity with a slug. They might be wrong but at least they know what they're talking about.

PPE availability? An own goal, but more bureaucratic centralisation than individual incompetence at the top. Viral RNA resting? Useful, but expanding it rapidly was always going to be difficult. And it's usefulness was always limited by the time delay from sampling to results. Even worse, a negative result is only valid for the day of sampling. Two days later, he or she could have contracted the disease.

Even if the antibody test is delayed, that can't be blamed on the government.

I think that's why the Tories have a massive lead in the polls. It will subside when we return to normal. John Ashworth has avoided the 'complain first, think later' trap, and even Andy Burnham has been measured. It's been left to the media to make fools of themselves.
  • Options
    Just to annoy Mrs. Foxy (although, to really do that, wait until you REALLY get into it and have a fridge full of pots of moths to identify!)

There are two main types of moth traps - the big bright mercury vapour traps, and the lower power actinic traps. Actinics are better in winter and early spring it seems, and are ideal if you have neighbours who are going to object to a bloody bright light in your back garden. However, the MV lamps get much better results on warmer nights (and perversely, if you have drizzle or fog it seems). There are a number of types of trap, and then the decision is mains (fine for trapping a garden) or battery (if you really get the bug and want to start trapping further afield) - and how much you want to spend. I run a couple of the big Robinson traps, but the bulk of the moths actually come to a sheet I fix behind the trap.

That said, the big mercury vapour lamps are being phased out and replaced with LEDs. SO far these have variable success, but are likely to become the norm in the next 10 years.

The people I buy my kit from are ALS:

https://www.angleps.com/mothtraps.php

I came to moths via birds, having pretty much run out of new birds to see in the UK. We rented a cottage in Devon and I was curious about the drab moths flying around the woodshed. Turns out they were nationally rare - and I had found the largest number in the UK.

After that, I got hooked. 10 years later, I have got to the point where I submit the largest number of records of anyone in Devon.... (I tend not to do anything by halves!) Incredibly rewarding, but with 2,600 species, there is a lot to learn. That said, the field guides are excellent and the internet is a fabulous resource for checking what you have. There are local sites such as Hants Moths Flying Tonight which shows, week by week, the moths you can expect to see:

https://www.hantsmoths.org.uk/flying_tonight.php

Then there are various facebook groupsto join to help you ID your finds. There are still a few po-faced scientist types who look down on those of us who have fun along the way. Mostly though people are very happy to share knowledge and learn as we go. The macro moths are generally straight forward to get to grips with - the micro moths much less so. Many of these require dissection to get to species level. Again, there are people who can help with that. Your county moth recorder will probably do it if you get something that is a bit strokey-beard in its uncertainty.

As well as the species that will breed locally, you will through the summer and autumn have a chance of scarce migrants from Europe, sometimes from north Africa. Like this Striped Hawkmoth:

Feel free to Vanilla mail me to ask about anything. And enjoy it if you do start up. You will be genuinely amazed at the variety of moths that you can attract in the average garden.

• Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

dream on

Rejoice!

I struggle to see how a metropolitan Londony type will connect with a welder in Stoke.

Labour's old reliable argument "not a Tory" got blown out of the water at the last eslection, what is going to replace it ?
    You’re not seeing the big picture. From today Corbyn is not leader of the Labour Party. Nothing determined the result of the last election more than that. This is the necessary first step to any progress.

Rejoice.

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    We're on a wing and a prayer aren't we?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

dream on

Rejoice!

You’re not seeing the big picture. From today Corbyn is not leader of the Labour Party. Nothing determined the result of the last election more than that. This is the necessary first step to any progress.

Rejoice.

Yuri Andropov has replaced Leonid Brezhnev.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    DougSeal said:

Lombardy may be approaching herd immunity. 70% of blood donors in one of the epicentres had antibodies but had never developed symptoms -

https://www.lastampa.it/topnews/primo-piano/2020/04/02/news/coronavirus-castiglione-d-adda-e-un-caso-di-studio-il-70-dei-donatori-di-sangue-e-positivo-1.38666481/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Interesting! That seems to be a paywalled article - do you know if there's a version elsewhere of the same story?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    TGOHF666 said:

Scott_xP said:

Death to the Jews and a united Ireland ?

No.
    He has already set us on a the path to the latter as he will create a border down the Irish sea.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    IanB2 said:

Nothing a good can of fly spray wouldn't sort out.
    Harsh. There are 2,600 species of moths in the UK. Only 2 of which will eat your clothes! (And they are both tiny. Basically, if you can tell its a moth, it's not going to eat your clothes. Some bits of your garden? Maybe not so safe....)
This discussion has been closed.