Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Starmer gets his LAB victory with 56% of the votes on the firs

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Starmer gets his LAB victory with 56% of the votes on the first round

In the end it was all a bit down beat. The Labour Party announced at 10:45 a.m. that Starmer had become the next leader at having secured 56% of the votes in the first round thus easily beating Rebecca Long Bailey and Lisa Nandy. As expected Angela Rayner has won the deputy race

Read the full story here

Comments

• IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,188
    First like starmer
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Second like the Labour Party at the next GE :wink:
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,926
    edited April 2020
    Starmer is no Corbynite but he is no Blairite either, this is more a victory for Brownites ideologically (Brown endorsed Starmer after all).
    The fact Nandy only got 16% as the candidate most willing to reach out to Leavers suggests Labour also clearly wants to put clear blue water between themselves and the Tories on Brexit
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,079
    A hospital has asked people not to come to its accident and emergency department until further notice, saying it is running out of oxygen.
    Watford General Hospital has declared a critical incident and said any emergency patients should go to other hospitals with A&E units.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-52151694
  • ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    FPT
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

maaarsh said:

Chris said:

maaarsh said:

ABZ said:

maaarsh said:

708 more Covid-19 related deaths in the UK

Steady as she goes. Would be interesting to see someone fit the announced death daily figures on to the hospital admissions data released to get a rough feeling for time lag.
    Also, over the past couple of days, the fraction of positive tests has steadied (and is slightly increasing) and the number of new cases identified is staying pretty constant. If the number of daily fatalities stays in the 700-900 range over the next week and the new cases remain around 4000 that would be quite a 'positive' result. Let's hope it does stabilise in this range - still no guarantees of course...

PS Note that the number of people tested almost certainly does not equal the number of tests, since some require multiple tests. I don't think the government have been good at communicating this aspect at all...
    Every reason to believe actual new infections peaked about 2 weeks ago given the 7 day average lag to first symptoms, and similar time period to then get to requiring hospital admission. Limitations of testing volumes and who it's aimed at is always going to make it a very weak very lagged indicator. If the recent rise in the death rate is due to the steeper rise in hospitalisation around the 25th to 28th, we could be looking at peak deaths for the back end of next week and hopefully signs of plateau or decline over the Easter weekend
    Judging by the numbers from other countries, plateauing is a long and painful process. And those are countries with stricter measures than the UK.
    Yes we'll have to see - most of the obvious places to look so far have a high concentration in one places followed by peaks in the rest of the country later (i.e. Lombardy & Madrid) which inevitably lengthen out the curve. Whilst London is ahead of the game here it's nowhere near that status yet, with the Midlands hospital admissions dipping on the same day, so that may mean we are in for a more severe, but shorter, peak if the whole country is at a similar place on the curve.
    Yes, I think that's a fair point. Still, I worry about whether our lockdown is too lax. When I went out for a walk before 7 this morning I couldn't believe the number of cars on the road.
    Yet the police were criticised last week for putting up roadblocks
    Well over twice as many cars than has been the case on yesterday's late night exercise (not quite a power walk). Not good, made even sadder by the sight of an ambulance, flashing blue light, stealthily and unusually silently, pass away from me and then back some time later.

Ferguson's comments seem to be based on such observations, I think. The carrot of less lockdown but, and with the the knowledge that too many are not taking it seriously enough, the stick of it extending well into the summer.
    Despite the sunshine it seems still quiet today. I went for a walk with the dog up on the hills behind my house; the National Trust has barricaded off the road so you can’t drive up there any more. In two hours I saw eleven people, in ones and twos, who had walked up there, and everyone kept their distance. What I am noticing however is that the various building sites that were dead last week are gradually coming back to life, and there is building noise now even on a Saturday.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,184
    Chris said:

A hospital has asked people not to come to its accident and emergency department until further notice, saying it is running out of oxygen.
    Watford General Hospital has declared a critical incident and said any emergency patients should go to other hospitals with A&E units.

The oxygen question came up last week. (Demand levels are unprecedented, and some hospitals have had to replumb systems to accommodate.)
    Matt Hancock said it ought to be no problem, but I guess demand rose faster than expected.
    IanB2 said:

Despite the sunshine it seems still quiet today. I went for a walk with the dog up on the hills behind my house; the National Trust has barricaded off the road so you can’t drive up there any more. In two hours I saw eleven people, in ones and twos, who had walked up there, and everyone kept their distance. What I am noticing however is that the various building sites that were dead last week are gradually coming back to life, and there is building noise now even on a Saturday.

Sunshine? Gloomy and overcast here. Fits the mood.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,072
    It is also worth reminding ourselves that only one Labour leader elected in the last 50 years has got more than 40% of the vote in a general election - and that was also Blair. Even if we cut the figure to 35% that only adds Corbyn (2017) and Callaghan on. Meanwhile the Tories have had Thatcher, Major, May and Johnson on the first, Cameron as well on the second.

Similarly, two Labour leaders in the last forty years have got less than 30% in a GE - Brown and Foot. Even in 1997 the Tories never sank that low.

They don’t really have a big core vote to build on, and Corbyn spent a lot of his time annoying large chunks of it. The new leader has a lot of reaching out to do.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,030
    @Quincel (PT) -

I'd say you are taking a punt on there emerging in the post-covid world some absolutely top notch (!) international political leadership who are up to the task of working together to devise and implement a plan to allow money creation on a colossal scale without rampant inflation.

I'm bullish on that personally. The reason I am is best summed up by an old proverb. "Necessity is the mother of invention". Old proverbs are usually utter horseshit but this one is an exception. Necessity IS the mother of invention. Such has been demonstrated again and again throughout human history.

Footsie 10,000 by 2030.

And I do think this needs a :smile: to close. It being such a sunny sentiment.
    Scott_xP said:
    Really? That would seem a strange choice.
  • MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    HYUFD said:

Starmer is no Corbynite but he is no Blairite either, this is more a victory for Brownites ideologically (Brown endorsed Starmer after all).
    The fact Nandy only got 16% as the candidate most willing to reach out to Leavers suggests Labour also clearly wants to put clear blue water between themselves and the Tories on Brexit

I think the point about Brexit might be true, but I don't think it would be profitable. Remainers need to take the hints, and I voted Remain.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,592
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Not heard of her, possibly that is a good sign. Kept her head down under Corbyn?
    HYUFD said:

If after 26 years Labour cannot move on from calling people ‘Blairite,’ ‘Brownite’ etc., then it matters little who the leader is or what their policies are.

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Not heard of her, possibly that is a good sign. Kept her head down under Corbyn?
    She was shadow CST and is a rather wonkish university lecturer. Only entered Parliament two years ago although I think she was an MEP for a time as well.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    She was shadow CST and is a rather wonkish university lecturer. Only entered Parliament two years ago although I think she was an MEP for a time as well.
    Another PPE Oxford!
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,126

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Another PPE Oxford!
    Pretty safe with PPE then.

• QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    kinabalu said:

@Quincel (PT) -

I'd say you are taking a punt on there emerging in the post-covid world some absolutely top notch (!) international political leadership who are up to the task of working together to devise and implement a plan to allow money creation on a colossal scale without rampant inflation.

I'm bullish on that personally. The reason I am is best summed up by an old proverb. "Necessity is the mother of invention". Old proverbs are usually utter horseshit but this one is an exception. Necessity IS the mother of invention. Such has been demonstrated again and again throughout human history.

Footsie 10,000 by 2030.

Hehe, we'll see. I'm generally not a believer in anything to do with markets, I rarely think I can time them and I don't think I can beat them. My one real belief is the fundamental one that they will generally grow over time. So with my timescales I should just keep the fees low and the spread broad. There was a fair comment in the previous thread that I have half my investments in the US and that seems high, but global trackers have at least that much for the simple reason that by market cap the US markets make up a majority of the world's markets. I want to invest in everything equity-based, I want it broad and I want it cheap. In return I'm happy to forgo any chance of above-market returns.
    Chris said:

My brother runs a London hospital and he told me a few days ago that this - the oxygen supply - was as big a potential constraint on capacity as number of beds or ventilators. Not something I would have guessed.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,155
    What a shame. Reeves would have absolutely infuriated the Corbynites.
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    kinabalu said:

@Quincel (PT) -

Footsie 10,000 by 2030.

What is your horseshittest old proverb kinabalu? I've never liked "a problem shared is a problem halved", but might work for some people.
    kinabalu said:

@Quincel (PT) -

Footsie 10,000 by 2030.

The extent to which it is sunny depends heavily upon your envisaged level of inflation.
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    she is one of the MPs I do know, and has even been a colleague from time to time, and right, RIGHT, up there in the 'transparently a terrible human being, stakes.

So, yeah, A. Dodds for Shadow Chancellor. Go for it, Labour.
  • YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

If after 26 years Labour cannot move on from calling people ‘Blairite,’ ‘Brownite’ etc., then it matters little who the leader is or what their policies are.
    It does matter who the Leader is.
    They have moved on today.
    Starmer has the mandate to do that.

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    she is one of the MPs I do know, and has even been a colleague from time to time, and right, RIGHT, up there in the 'transparently a terrible human being, stakes.

Not a big fan!?
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Re:cars on the roads. It could perhaps be pointed out that lot of cars on the roads isn’t necessarily a problem (unless somebody can come up with a counterpoint). It depends on the reasons. Going for a drive alone doesn’t create particularly increased risk, anymore than going for a walk and not meeting anyone. And if the only purpose of going for the drive is... to go for a drive (many people find it therapeutic) then it won’t actually contribute to much. Just people having their own little rebellion, with little actual risk.

It’s arguably better that people can conduct low risk little rebellions, than find a pressure cooker building up that ends up in a rebellion that actually has consequences.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    First stood for parliament in 2005, just as she was completing her PhD. Stood in 2010 in Reading (no links with the place). I don't think she stood anywhere in 2015 as she was a wonkish university lecturer and also an MEP.

She's been doing the rounds like a bike.

kinabalu said:

@Quincel (PT) -

Footsie 10,000 by 2030.

What is your horseshittest old proverb kinabalu? I've never liked "a problem shared is a problem halved", but might work for some people.
    I've always been irked by 'Sunshine is the best disinfectant', because it is literally false. I know what people who say it mean, but sunshine is a weak disinfectant compared to numerous chemicals we use these days. It's just not true!
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,689

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    First stood for parliament in 2005, just as she was completing her PhD. Stood in 2010 in Reading (no links with the place). I don't think she stood anywhere in 2015 as she was a wonkish university lecturer and also an MEP.

She's been doing the rounds like a bike.
    Kerching if true - told you yesterday @ 5/2.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Not a big fan!?
    She was one which a few days ago people said would NOT reflect a move away from the Corbynites. Disappointing. Are there any other appointments known?
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Does he?

What does he have a mandate for? What Clause IV style transformation has he been campaigning on?

Starmer is as beige as it gets currently. He may transform things but he has not sought or earnt a mandate to do so.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    felix said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Not a big fan!?
    She was one which a few days ago people said would NOT reflect a move away from the Corbynites. Disappointing. Are there any other appointments known?
    https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1246443091814473733

Looks like Keir is determined not to have anyone more charismatic than himself to compare against. Small pool.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,812

Does he?

What does he have a mandate for? What Clause IV style transformation has he been campaigning on?

Starmer is as beige as it gets currently. He may transform things but he has not sought or earnt a mandate to do so.

He has won a mandate to lead his Party and he can transform his Party as Boris Johnson transformed the Conservatives. Expecting that on Day 1 is a tad unrealistic.

As David H said on the previous he has time and he must use that to build his base, develop new policies which he has (in no particular order) to sell to the Party and sell to the country.

Those on the Right will be critical and that's their privilege but Johnson will have a record to defend next time and Starmer will look like the "new guy" with new ideas. That is the essence of politics - the established vs the new, continuation vs change.I suspect the power of continuation will prevail in 2024 but in 2029 it may be very different.

Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Well, as it was Hyufd that was using the labels perhaps my post was a bit unfair.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Don't count your chickens
    Dodds is Scottish, so no doubt will attract the ire and hatred of the Cybernats for being a 'treacherous yoon'.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954
    OllyT said:

Had he said third you may have had a point. :p
    Why would “the court” be involved? Is this Welsh regulations?
  • eggegg Posts: 1,749
    “ Although 159 deaths were reported for 29 March, the true number of people to have died was at least 463”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/04/why-what-we-think-we-know-about-the-uks-coronavirus-death-toll-is-wrong

alex_ said:

It sounds as though he has been charged with an offence.
    edited April 2020

Oh there are so many but one that springs immediately to mind is "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger". I mean - what?

Although - just occurs - it might just work for the virus. If you catch it and pull through you will get your government issued "corona card", proving immunity, and armed with this most valuable of items in post covid Britain you will be able to resume normal life while the less fortunate remain incarcerated until there is a vaccine.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,309

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Interesting - Sienna Rodgers' preview of the possibilities singled her out as the MP that nearly everyone in Parliament likes personally. Don't know her myself!
    maaarsh said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Not a big fan!?

Looks like Keir is determined not to have anyone more charismatic than himself to compare against. Small pool.
    Blimey.

I have at least heard of Dodds.

I wouldn’t know anything about these other two.

Looks as though he’s determined to move on from Corbyn AND Miliband.
    kinabalu said:

Oh there are so many but one that springs immediately to mind is "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger". I mean - what?

Although - just occurs - it might just work for the virus. If you catch it and pull through you will get your government issued "corona card", proving immunity, and armed with this most valuable of items in post covid Britain you will be able to resume normal life while the less fortunate remain incarcerated until there is a vaccine.
    I`ve never got to grips with ""it`s the exception that proves the rule".
    alex_ said:

Non-essential travel? Possibly refused an instruction to go home?
    kinabalu said:

Although - just occurs - it might just work for the virus. If you get it and pull through you will get your government issued "corona card", proving immunity, and armed with this most valuable of items in post covid Britain you will be able to resume normal life while the less fortunate remain incarcerated until there is a vaccine.
    On a related note, "There's no such thing as bad publicity." Tell that to Gerald Ratner.
    OllyT said:

A LibDem win would certainly be something.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,692
    ukpaul said:

IanB2 said:

Sunshine? Gloomy and overcast here. Fits the mood.
    Likewise in Merseyside. Cold and gray.

• NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,309
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, but it's only HYUFD, who with the greatest respect cannot be called "Labour".
    ydoethur said:

maaarsh said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Not a big fan!?

Blimey.

Looks like Benn, Cooper etc... are going to remain on the backbenches.
    maaarsh said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Not a big fan!?

Two Welsh MPs. One who voted against Article 50

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, but it's only HYUFD, who with the greatest respect cannot be called "Labour".
    Yes, I have acknowledged this mistake upthread. I withdraw my comment,
    Is there any polling where a country's government is doing badly regarding its response? It's interesting (and maybe a bit worrying) that each country seems to like what it's doing, despite the wide variation of what is actually being done.

Has the US started to do that? I'm note sure, I haven't kept up with polling, but it would be a bit of a concern if their hamfisted, unco-ordinated, piecemeal and, at times, wholly vindictive measures retained support.

ydoethur said:

maaarsh said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Not a big fan!?

Blimey.

Well, I think that’s a waste, and I say that as somebody who is hardly a starry eyed fan of Cooper in particular.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,918

Dodds is Scottish, so no doubt will attract the ire and hatred of the Cybernats for being a 'treacherous yoon'.

You're no doubt fondly remembering the days when folk in Scotland were bothered about what went on in Labour. The overwhelming reaction even amongst those who have a passing interest will be 'who she'.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,002
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Prove originally meant "to test" before acquiring its more specialised modern meaning.
    ukpaul said:

Is there any polling where a country's government is doing badly regarding its response? It's interesting (and maybe a bit worrying) that each country seems to like what it's doing, despite the wide variation of what is actually being done.

Has the US started to do that? I'm note sure, I haven't kept up with polling, but it would be a bit of a concern if their hamfisted, unco-ordinated, piecemeal and, at times, wholly vindictive measures retained support.

It’s called rallying around flag in national crisis, small bump like Trump got is disastrous news for him
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,015
    ydoethur said:

maaarsh said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Not a big fan!?

Blimey.

WHAT? Nigel Dodds as Shadow Chancellor- a broad church indeed!

When was the last time a knight was either leader of the opposition, or PM? Must be quite a while.
    ukpaul said:

There was a polling chart with a good 7 or 8 nations on it. It has been on here. Will see if I can find.

(answer to your question is - yes, with an if or no, with a but)

ydoethur said:

maaarsh said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Not a big fan!?

Blimey.

WHAT? Nigel Dodds as Shadow Chancellor- a broad church indeed!

Now that would be entertaining.
    RobD said:

When was the last time a knight was either leader of the opposition, or PM? Must be quite a while.

I would guess Home in 1965.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    stodge said:

Does he?

He has won a mandate to lead his Party and he can transform his Party as Boris Johnson transformed the Conservatives. Expecting that on Day 1 is a tad unrealistic.

As David H said on the previous he has time and he must use that to build his base, develop new policies which he has (in no particular order) to sell to the Party and sell to the country.

Those on the Right will be critical and that's their privilege but Johnson will have a record to defend next time and Starmer will look like the "new guy" with new ideas. That is the essence of politics - the established vs the new, continuation vs change.I suspect the power of continuation will prevail in 2024 but in 2029 it may be very different.

Johnson campaigned to win the Tory leadership election on a platform of refusing to extend Article 50, rejecting Theresa May's deal, seeking a new deal etc

You may not like the platform he sought election on - many here did not - but he was clear and where he was able to he stuck to it. He sought and won a mandate on a clear change of direction from May.

Starmer is not comparable. He's been bland, played it safe and spoken about unity etc. He's not faced up to the serious challenges the party has which is a missed opportunity as unlike Johnson he's not sought a clear change of direction from Corbyn - besides honourably on seeking to consign anti-Semitism to history which is a positive. So he's got some decency but besides that is a blank sheet of paper.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,959
    Mr. JS, from memory, that's pretty similar (touch higher) to the Italian figures I saw a few days ago.
    ukpaul said:

Most folk barely follow their own country's news so I'd expect them to focus on what they know and at a time of crisis support their government. However - the degree of support may be quite revealing. That figue of 75% in Sweden compares, I think to a 90% figure for the UK - both high but of a different order.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,002

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Prove originally meant "to test" before acquiring its more specialised modern meaning.
    Although Wiktionary tells me I'm wrong and that "to test" was only one of its meanings, which it largely seems to have lost. We still talk about proving-grounds though.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,143
    edited April 2020
    In response to @gettingbetter (fpt):-

“I accidentally got onto this gardening site whilst looking for some views on the Labour leadership! Since I am here would it be rude to ask for some recommendations of a hedging plant to go at the front between our and our terraced neighbour. Something attractive for much of the year, not too high (3ft max I think), and good for invertebrates (e.g. bees and butterflies). We had box but the box moths have killed it.Thank you.”

This comment made my day, I must say. Daughter cannot understand why I am laughing so hard.

Anyway, some hedging suggestions. There are loads of choices. Scented plants will attract bees and birds and other wildlife.

1. Privet - neat, evergreen. A bit dull.
    2. Euonymus - lots of varieties and attractive leaves.
    3. Budleia - lovely range of colours, immensely attractive to butterflies and bees.
    4. Lilac - similar to budleia - and scented.
    5. Choisya ternata - Mexican orange blossom. Evergreen (don’t go for the variegated leaf version) and gets covered from April onwards in magnificently scented white flowers. Utterly captivating.
    6. Mock orange - philadelphus - also scented but does need some pruning other wise will get leggy.
    7. Escallonia is lovely - with pink and white flowers and evergreen foliage.
    8. Some roses are great for hedging. Look up on the various rose grower websites - David Austin (though they are not delivering at the moment) or Peter Beales or our very own Philip Harkness roses.

I’m assuming you are planting straight into the ground. If you have a raised bed or planters then my top tip would be to have a low hedge with sarcococca confusa for evergreen colour all year round and winter scent and in between have lavender or rosemary or one of the smaller flowering bushes mentioned above or bulbs for colour.

There are bulbs for every season.

The RHS website is a great resource too.
    edited April 2020
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Was he a knight when he got the job? Probably Eden if not. Churchill for LoTO, on a technicality.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,797
    Ratio of new UK cases announced, Thu-Sat 2-4/4 Vs Thu-Sat 26-28/3 = 1.64 (from 2.01 yesterday).

Starting to rincreasingly reflect post-lockdown now.

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Although Wiktionary tells me I'm wrong and that "to test" was only one of its meanings, which it largely seems to have lost. We still talk about proving-grounds though.
    still makes noi sense to me either way. Should be "it`s the exception that refutes/dismantles the rule"
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Quincel said:

kinabalu said:

@Quincel (PT) -

Footsie 10,000 by 2030.

I've always been irked by 'Sunshine is the best disinfectant', because it is literally false. I know what people who say it mean, but sunshine is a weak disinfectant compared to numerous chemicals we use these days. It's just not true!
    Not heard that one. But sunshine does help with vitamin D so not without some health benefits.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Wil that be evidence that we fear them then?

Quincel said:

kinabalu said:

@Quincel (PT) -

Footsie 10,000 by 2030.

Not heard that one. But sunshine does help with vitamin D so not without some health benefits.
    "Up the bum, no harm done"?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

It's only him who is still calling people Blairites? Colour me skeptical.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

maaarsh said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Not a big fan!?

Blimey.

Well, I think that’s a waste, and I say that as somebody who is hardly a starry eyed fan of Cooper in particular.
    No. Not simply back benches but key on committees. There’s many ways to balance well to provide effective opposition.

Let’s wait for the facts because every speculative list doesn’t match. They all seem to ignore he has promised his two beaten rivals top jobs. Nandy and Bex are two of the party’s best performers in media, and neither a great distance from Starmer in ideology. The right thing is to balance wings of party, inexperience with experience.

Some of this guesswork and rumour quite laughable to be honest.

The deckchairs can always be shuffled, who has he got lined up as chief of staff and media manager is also interesting.

Well - with a slowly improving position here in Spain - we have the lockdown extended to April 26th - 3 more weeks. I would hope it may be gradually relaxed after this date but with the UK maybe 2 weeks behind our figures it looks like a long hard slog ahead for all of us. I keep praying for some treatment to take out the sting as otherwise my outings are going to very limited even after it is lifted.
    felix said:

ukpaul said:

Most folk barely follow their own country's news so I'd expect them to focus on what they know and at a time of crisis support their government. However - the degree of support may be quite revealing. That figue of 75% in Sweden compares, I think to a 90% figure for the UK - both high but of a different order.
    Just found a number for the US on 538 about Trump's handling of it - 49.2% - ouch. That's what you get from ruling by division.
    alex_ said:

maaarsh said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Not a big fan!?

Two Welsh MPs. One who voted against Article 50
    Those who voted against A50 at least had a relatively consistent position later on.
    alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Was he a knight when he got the job? Probably Eden if not. Churchill for LoTO, on a technicality.
    Yes. He was a KT from 1962.

Churchill wasn’t knighted until 1952, so I think the previous LOTO to have a knighthood was Campbell-Bannerman in 1905.
    Stocky said:

Quincel said:

kinabalu said:

@Quincel (PT) -

Footsie 10,000 by 2030.

"Up the bum, no harm done"?
    OK.

You're no doubt fondly remembering the days when folk in Scotland were bothered about what went on in Labour. The overwhelming reaction even amongst those who have a passing interest will be 'who she'.
    Unfortunately, I fear you may be right. Had a look on a few prominent Cybernats' twitter accounts today - who five years ago were constantly slamming Milliband and Murphy - and the only reaction to SKS' elevation was a shrug of the shoulders from the Rev. of Bath. Still, if Labour can eventually attract their ire again once more, that would probably mean they might actually be on the road to some kind of recovery in Scotland. Better to be hated than ignored.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,468
    Andy_JS said:
    Quite a lot under 60 too. Diabetes over represented. I couldn't see BMI as a risk factor assessed.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    OllyT said:

Yes, the LibDems might edge it.

I'll get my coat...

Unfortunately, I fear you may be right. Had a look on a few prominent Cybernats' twitter accounts today - who five years ago were constantly slamming Milliband and Murphy - and the only reaction to SKS' elevation was a shrug of the shoulders from the Rev. of Bath. Still, if Labour can eventually attract their ire again once more, that would probably mean they might actually be on the road to some kind of recovery in Scotland. Better to be hated than ignored.
    Depending on the seats a modest Labour revival could well produce several Tory gains.
    From the looks of it, the vast majority in their 20s/30s. The wrong message took hold, that the old die from it, when it should have been that all except those under ten will suffer from it.
  • ukpaul said:

From the looks of it, the vast majority in their 20s/30s. The wrong message took hold, that the old die from it, when it should have been that all except those under ten will suffer from it.
    5 year old died today

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

I believe the proverb is more straightforwards though, it refers to situations where telling you the only exception implicitly proves the existence of a rule. If I put up a sign at a car park saying 'Free parking on Sundays' that sign implicitly proves/states the rule (that parking is normally not free).
    ukpaul said:

Do you normally get oldies out sunbathing? The impression you'll get from these photos is that it's only the young, because these are the activities the young typically get up to.
    Dare it be said that Keir looks a little...gammony in that picture?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,184
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

still makes noi sense to me either way. Should be "it`s the exception that refutes/dismantles the rule"
    The expression long predates the idea of scientific hypotheses, and very few rules are without exceptions, so I quite like it.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,271
    felix said:

Depending on the seats a modest Labour revival could well produce several Tory gains.
    The SNP are more interested in attacking each other these days. Keir Starmer's appointment of a Scottish lady (I have no idea how good she is, I have never heard of her until today) may be a sign that he is preparinh a Scottish charm offensive. It remains to be seen if Scots are charmed or offended.
This discussion has been closed.