Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Raab trails in fourth place in latest YouGov senior cabinet mi

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited April 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Raab trails in fourth place in latest YouGov senior cabinet minsters’ favourability rankings

!function(){"use strict";window.addEventListener("message",function(a){if(void 0!==a.data["datawrapper-height"])for(var e in a.data["datawrapper-height"]){var t=document.getElementById("datawrapper-chart-"+e)||document.querySelector("iframe[src*='"+e+"']");t&&(t.style.height=a.data["datawrapper-height"][e]+"px")}})}();

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Firstish?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Because he hasn't *yet* had the chance to have a good war. Ask again in a week.
  • Options
    What does Sir Richard Burgon score?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Would be interesting to see the DKs.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349
    edited April 2020
    Fifth
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Fourth

Sorry old boy. :D
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I wonder how many "Don't Knows" or "Who?" there are with the public.

Interesting to see Sunak rank so high.
  • Options

Firstish?

Pathetic, isn't it.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Sunak +36.

"Nice young man who gives away lots of money is rather popular" shocker.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Boris is so going to let Raab take all the tough decisions and then get better and show up just in time to do popular things
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    So Raab has a neutral net favourable rating, better than many elected PMs have had
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    I actually think that the mockery of Raab is a Twitter/Westminster thing. I don't think the general public are even that aware of him. He looks the part, so provided he remains gaffe free from here on in I can see him rising in the public's estimation.
  • Options
    Raab was a pretty moderate performer during and pre-GE, but he has a good opportunity to put that right now. No need to be partisan about this. Hope he does so.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349
    RobD said:

Fourth

Sorry old boy. :D
    Thankfully the edit button was at hand
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    edited April 2020
    Has to be Raab, though.
    I'd say the two figures having the 'best' crisis are Hancock and Sunak. But they have contradictory aims: one is aiming , quite rightly, to minimise deaths, the other is aiming, equally rightly, to have an economy left to return to when this is over. There is tension between the two portfolios, and someone is needed to arbitrate between the two. It can't be one or the other. Raab is the most senior of those who are neither Hancock nor Sunak.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FPT
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

I do wonder about who is advising them, although perhaps they aren't taking any notice. I can't believe any PR expert would be suggesting this is a good idea at the moment.
    And that name is Consignia level bad. Unpronounceable and overtones of arch, hell and chew (18th century synonym for a blowjob according to William Golding).
    That middle "e" is going to irritate me every time I see it. Which won't be that often, I hope.
    The aim “to do something that matters” makes it sound like a spoof. Or the 21st century version of those 18th century bubble companies: “For carrying-on an undertaking of great advantage but no-one to know what it is”.
    Where can I invest? I only have some tulip bulbs - perhaps we can do a swap for some shares?
    The South Sea Company was an extremely profitable investment, thank you very much
    Any ancestors caught up in it? :)
    They made about £28,000 in profits, 70% from principal investing and 30% from margin lending.

Equivalent to about 300,000 days of skilled craftsman wages.

p.s. for those people questioning my description of Malibu, we looked at it, before buying our summer home further south in Orange County. So, it's a personal opinion, but one that has some basis.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    RobD said:

Raabs DK is 48/100.

So the graph is a bit moot.

Patel's numbers - sexist, racist or just anti-semitic ?

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715
    TGOHF666 said:

RobD said:

Raabs DK is 48/100.

.. or based on her policies, actions and character?
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

don't mention his IQ
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Dr. Anthony Cardillo said he has seen very promising results when prescribing hydroxychloroquine in combination with zinc for the most severely-ill COVID-19 patients.

"Every patient I've prescribed it to has been very, very ill and within 8 to 12 hours, they were basically symptom-free," Cardillo told Eyewitness News. "So clinically I am seeing a resolution."

He said he has found it only works if combined with zinc. The drug, he said, opens a channel for the zinc to enter the cell and block virus replication.

https://abc7.com/coronavirus-drug-covid-19-malaria-hydroxychloroquine/6079864/

To be published in The Journal of Anecdotal Medicine?
    Have these people not heard of controlled clinical trials ?
    Or are such things just unnecessary bureaucracy ...
    Controlled clinical trials are excellent things, but they don't invalidate case histories and observation (without which you'd be pushed to find things to have trials of). Penicillin went into full production and use without a single controlled or blinded trial being carried out on it. For that matter, the inventor of ibuprofen said last year that he knew it worked because he took some for a hangover, and the hangover went away.
    Controlled clinical trials are excellent for avoiding things like manslaughter charges. People and their pesky rights, eh?
    That probably sounds in your own head as if it makes some sort of point. For starters, the safety phase of a trial is not controlled anyway (unless you regard "everybody else" as the control). Yes, James Phipps and Albert Alexander probably had their "pesky rights" infringed, but it is a net benefit to the human race that the infractions happened without intervention by an ill-informed member of the anecdote police.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    Cookie said:

Has to be Raab, though.
    I'd say the two figures having the 'best' crisis are Hancock and Sunak. But they have contradictory aims: one is aiming , quite rightly, to minimise deaths, the other is aiming, equally rightly, to have an economy left to return to when this is over. There is tension between the two portfolios, and someone is needed to arbitrate between the two. It can't be one or the other. Raab is the most senior of those who are neither Hancock nor Sunak.

If they were any good the pair of fannies could sit down and work out the best plan for the public , not be jessie boys and try to get their own way.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231

Hope today delivers lots of joy, and you have a nice break from your labours.

Happy Birthday!

Why, thank you my fellow 1983er.

Currently waiting for an apple strudel to cook.

It cooked less well than I was hoping because I absentmindedly turned the oven off.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Where did this silly clap for boris thingy come from, ridiculous idea, include him in your thoughts and prayers along with other sufferers, victims and families but clap for him?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    TGOHF666 said:

It may also be relevant that she's corrupt, a proven liar and not very bright.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250
    TGOHF666 said:

RobD said:

Raabs DK is 48/100.

Hope that was a shit joke rather than just being a really shit comment
  • Options
    Charles said:

FPT

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

I do wonder about who is advising them, although perhaps they aren't taking any notice. I can't believe any PR expert would be suggesting this is a good idea at the moment.
    And that name is Consignia level bad. Unpronounceable and overtones of arch, hell and chew (18th century synonym for a blowjob according to William Golding).
    That middle "e" is going to irritate me every time I see it. Which won't be that often, I hope.
    The aim “to do something that matters” makes it sound like a spoof. Or the 21st century version of those 18th century bubble companies: “For carrying-on an undertaking of great advantage but no-one to know what it is”.
    Where can I invest? I only have some tulip bulbs - perhaps we can do a swap for some shares?
    The South Sea Company was an extremely profitable investment, thank you very much
    They made about £28,000 in profits, 70% from principal investing and 30% from margin lending.

p.s. for those people questioning my description of Malibu, we looked at it, before buying our summer home further south in Orange County. So, it's a personal opinion, but one that has some basis.
    Have been to both, personally preferred Malibu, mainly went to Orange County for the Nixon library but yes agree personal choice
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

TGOHF666 said:

RobD said:

Raabs DK is 48/100.

.. or based on her policies, actions and character?
    Name a policy with polling evidence it is unpopular...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Cookie said:

Has to be Raab, though.

If they were any good the pair of fannies could sit down and work out the best plan for the public , not be jessie boys and try to get their own way.
    Afternoon Malc :smiley:
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Where did this silly clap for boris thingy come from, ridiculous idea, include him in your thoughts and prayers along with other sufferers, victims and families but clap for him?

It will be a good way of identifying Tory voters in the road
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    HYUFD said:
    I must confess that I am a little surprised that Sweden remains a fairly middle of the pack runner in all of this. As the time since other countries went into serious lockdown extends beyond the 2 week lag their performance really should be becoming more distinctive.

It would be very interesting to learn more of why. Is it the case that the population are indulging in fairly thorough social isolation without a regulatory framework? Or are we simply over estimating the effectiveness of lock downs?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TGOHF666 said:

RobD said:

Raabs DK is 48/100.

All of the above.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Whenever the planes are grounded (9/11, Icelandic volcano, now) the weather always seems utterly glorious. Now, while I agree keeping carbon emissions down must be good, and global warming is bad, it's not a battle I can get emotionally invested in. But spells of weather like this? If this is what we get for grounding flights I'm off to join XR*.

*Obviously I'm not really.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    ydoethur said:

Happy Birthday!

It cooked less well than I was hoping because I absentmindedly turned the oven off.
    Sorry, that made me LOL
  • Options
    Glad to see I speak for the nation with my views on the disgraced national security risk that currently is Home Secretary.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:
    I must confess that I am a little surprised that Sweden remains a fairly middle of the pack runner in all of this. As the time since other countries went into serious lockdown extends beyond the 2 week lag their performance really should be becoming more distinctive.

It would be very interesting to learn more of why. Is it the case that the population are indulging in fairly thorough social isolation without a regulatory framework? Or are we simply over estimating the effectiveness of lock downs?
    If today's trend continues, Sweden will not be middle of the pack much longer
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    TGOHF666 said:

RobD said:

Raabs DK is 48/100.

Those may have been issues at one time, but she's mellowed a lot since then. :lol:
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Those Russian-pushed stories about Boris Johnson’s health may have a piquant backdrop:

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1247501500630384642?s=21
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Dr. Anthony Cardillo said he has seen very promising results when prescribing hydroxychloroquine in combination with zinc for the most severely-ill COVID-19 patients.

"Every patient I've prescribed it to has been very, very ill and within 8 to 12 hours, they were basically symptom-free," Cardillo told Eyewitness News. "So clinically I am seeing a resolution."

He said he has found it only works if combined with zinc. The drug, he said, opens a channel for the zinc to enter the cell and block virus replication.

Controlled clinical trials are excellent things, but they don't invalidate case histories and observation (without which you'd be pushed to find things to have trials of). Penicillin went into full production and use without a single controlled or blinded trial being carried out on it. For that matter, the inventor of ibuprofen said last year that he knew it worked because he took some for a hangover, and the hangover went away.
    Controlled clinical trials are excellent for avoiding things like manslaughter charges. People and their pesky rights, eh?
    That probably sounds in your own head as if it makes some sort of point. For starters, the safety phase of a trial is not controlled anyway (unless you regard "everybody else" as the control). Yes, James Phipps and Albert Alexander probably had their "pesky rights" infringed, but it is a net benefit to the human race that the infractions happened without intervention by an ill-informed member of the anecdote police.
    I meant that times have changed. The past is full of things which were OK at the time and perhaps even moved civilisation forward.

I am not entirely happy at the various suggestions that we should short cut clinical trials for a vaccine for COVID19. We could easily create another disaster.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250
    nichomar said:

No 10 should probably knock it on the head. Mass clapping looks like North Korea, isolated outbreaks of clapping is just embarrassing.
  • Options
    Another childhood legend died. The guy who played the Virginian has left us.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Happy Birthday!

Going somewhere nice?

Ah.

My daughter's birthday is on the 28th and the lack of a party is already being lamented almost daily.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Floater said:

ydoethur said:

Happy Birthday!

Sorry, that made me LOL
    I did as well when I realised what I’d done!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    edited April 2020
    Is this site for real?...

https://covid19.healthdata.org

Forecasting a first-wave total of 81k deaths for USA, 19k for Spain, 20k for Italy, 15k for France, 9k for Germany and, wait for it....

66k for the UK (!)

UK deaths to be triple those in Spain or Italy anyone?

(Edit: I see now the projection assumes the UK has a total of 799 ICU beds - might be why the death projection is so high.)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

They are at 59/million deaths. We are at 79 before today's figures are added. They have a bit of catching up to do although they are somewhat ahead of both Norway and Denmark.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

1) It takes much longer than you (or at least I) instinctively think for policies to feed through to exponential rises in infections and for this to feed through to exponential rises in deaths. A month ago, in the UK, the world was still acting pretty much as normal. If a given country is doing something 'wrong', it takes a long time for this to become apparent.

2) Swedes give each other a lot of room anyway. Culturally, it's not a great place for a virus to spread.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Happy Birthday!

Going somewhere nice?

Ah.

My daughter's birthday is on the 28th and the lack of a party is already being lamented almost daily.
    I treated myself to an hour’s bike ride across the Chase this morning.

I’ve had phone calls and messages from family.

This afternoon I have sun, a book, my garden and all my mates on PB to chat to.

What more could anyone want?

As @Cyclefree says, let us count our blessings.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Forecasting a first-wave total of 81k deaths for USA, 19k for Spain, 20k for Italy, 15k for France, 9k for Germany and, wait for it....

66k for the UK (!)

They're predicting today's number will be 1200 and it'll keep getting worse from here, so does indeed feel a little off.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

66k for the UK (!)

Well it's a website but the figures make little sense based on what we are actually seeing.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

They are at 59/million deaths. We are at 79 before today's figures are added. They have a bit of catching up to do although they are somewhat ahead of both Norway and Denmark.
    Their number today is the equivalent of well over 800 in UK terms and yesterday was quite high too so it doesn't seem to be a weekend effect
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    maaarsh said:

66k for the UK (!)

They're predicting today's number will be 1200 and it'll keep getting worse from here, so does indeed feel a little off.
    Since Italy’s well over 16,000 and rising at several hundred a day, if they keep to 20,000something strange and wonderful will have happened.

So I would suggest that site is a consignment of geriatric shoe menders.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

1) It takes much longer than you (or at least I) instinctively think for policies to feed through to exponential rises in infections and for this to feed through to exponential rises in deaths. A month ago, in the UK, the world was still acting pretty much as normal. If a given country is doing something 'wrong', it takes a long time for this to become apparent.

2) Swedes give each other a lot of room anyway. Culturally, it's not a great place for a virus to spread.
    A couple of years ago I had a Swedish Eurodevil called Erika. Lovely person but not quite the stereotype I had in mind. More like yours actually.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

66k for the UK (!)

(Edit: I see now the projection assumes the UK has a total of 799 ICU beds - might be why the death projection is so high.)

It is legit website / organisation. But I think they need to turn the computer off and on again.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

don't mention his IQ
    He has one?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    eek said:

66k for the UK (!)

Well it's a website but the figures make little sense based on what we are actually seeing.
    The Graun has expanded on these findings here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/07/coronavirus-live-news-boris-johnson-intensive-care-uk-donald-trump-america-us-praying-recovery-latest-updates?page=with:block-5e8c626d8f08ec70cecec0de#block-5e8c626d8f08ec70cecec0de
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

FPT

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Have been to both, personally preferred Malibu, mainly went to Orange County for the Nixon library but yes agree personal choice
    Yorba Linda is not representative of OC!! It's virtually IE!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Happy Birthday!

Going somewhere nice?

Ah.

The weather is genuinely nice here today. Last few days there has been a lot of showers and a strong coldish wind. Really looking forward to my walk this afternoon.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    eadric said:

We wanted some good news...
    twitter.com/marklevinshow/status/1247500269258190849?s=21

“All we need to do is adjust the system to the new sequence,” he said. “We are in the middle of this process, and hopefully in a few weeks we will have the vaccine in our hands...

MIGAL would be responsible for developing the new vaccine, but it would then have to go through a regulatory process, including clinical trials and large-scale production, Katz said.

So it might be really cool and a solution, but they aren't even as far along as lots of the other candidates. They are simply saying they might have a different and better way of making vaccines.

There is no way they can do full set of clinical trials in 90 days.
  • Options
    alednamalednam Posts: 185
    Is Gove's favourability rating even less than Raab's (i.e. negative)?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Of course they are controlled.
    And in this case it's less to do with patients' rights (the emergency use of the drug is after all sanctioned by the FDA) and rather more to do with selection criteria, and independent verifiable observation of cases and outcomes.

It's not impossible that he's on to something, but the evidence produced seems less than sketchy. The patients are described as "very, very ill", which then gets re-reported as "the most seriously ill".
    Were any of them admitted to an ICU ?
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Those Russian-pushed stories about Boris Johnson’s health may have a piquant backdrop:

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1247501500630384642?s=21

I hope he hasn't been opening any bottles of found aftershave.....
  • Options
    eadric said:

maaarsh said:

66k for the UK (!)

It’s not a crank website tho. University of Washington.

It predicts the UK will have by far the worst plague outcome in the western world (per capita)

We have to hope they are not just wrong, but wildly wrong. That’s grim
    They may not be cranks, but give the range of locations and the granularity of the forecast, it's clearly a spreadsheet operation entirely subject to SISO. Their UK forecast curve has a big discontinuity between actual data and where the forecast starts, so it rather looks like they predicted even worse a few days ago and are steadily being proved wrong.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,453
    Very relieved to hear the news about Boris. Hopefully his condition is stabilising though perhaps premature to read anything into it yet.

When does the “danger zone” seem to end for sufferers? It seems day 10 is the average day for ICU admission but beyond that when do we start to see recovery on average?
  • Options
    eadric said:

maaarsh said:

66k for the UK (!)

It predicts the UK will have by far the worst plague outcome in the western world (per capita)

They are basing it on the UK having fewer than 800 ICU beds. Odd.
  • Options

Another childhood legend died. The guy who played the Virginian has left us.

Sad indeed. But outlived Trampas by 25 years. It's a lottery.
  • Options
    Has this been commented on? Seems that Porton Down is encouragingly close to a 'who has had it' test:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-tests-never-heard-hold-key-exit-lockdown/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Happy Birthday!

Going somewhere nice?

Ah.

Indeed. I will raise a glass in your honour this evening.
    (Grasping the excuse.)
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

66k for the UK (!)

If today's UK figure is close to 1200 deaths we'll all be well-spooked!
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Has to be Raab, though.

I don't think the need will arise - since Boris will recover - but if it did I'd say Gove.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    I knew it :-). FPT

@Cyclefree's Gardening Corner Q9 #gardening

Looking after bulbs - I am just getting my first lot of container daffodils in flower.

Two questions if I may.

1 - What do I need to do to keep these healthy for this year and next year? (I am familiar with the basics - do not remove the leaves too soon after flowering, water when a finger depth is dry etc.)

2 - What is the best time to put in new bulbs (I want some snowdrops and crocuses and extra daffodils) for next year or 2022?

The photo is my daffs and my cousin's first tulips (he has a camera not an iPad :-) ).

Thanks for any comments. I will repost if I get new-thread-clobbered.

https://twitter.com/mattwardman/status/1247504724879986689
    https://twitter.com/mattwardman/status/1247505506463289345

• Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

There is this fantasy on all sides of the political debate that people who reach high office either in government or opposition are thick as two short planks.

Clue: they are not. They are very very smart and moreso diligent. Look at Raab or Lammy's CV. Outstanding.

Problem is they have to deal with, appeal to, and somehow try to satisfy us lot, the public, and we are thick as fuck.

Fully behind your general point, which is more than reasonably solid, it's undeniably true. Almost every top politician is cleverer than most of the people who comment adversely on the intelligence of politicians. There are exceptions, however, e.g. Priti Patel. My genuine sense of her intellect is that it's not materially above average.
    You put that very kindly. Most folk would have given a far harsher judgement and delivered it in a less diplomatic fashion.

The average person on an omnibus has a brain the size of a planet compared with Patel. One of the great mysteries of Boris Johnson’s career is: what the hell was he thinking?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Has this been commented on? Seems that Porton Down is encouragingly close to a 'who has had it' test:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-tests-never-heard-hold-key-exit-lockdown/

I would wait until we see some numbers on the reliability of the test. Lots of groups have come up with such tests - the issue is false positives/negatives.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

But according to some, we were doing f##k all until about a week ago...

The work at Porton Down is understood to have been underway since January. Moreover, it plays to our skill set as a nation, based as it is on high-end science rather than the more mundane - but crucially important business - of high volume throughput or production.

Experts say the first two months were spent validating high tech “assays” for reliably identifying coronavirus antibodies and designing a robust longitudinal blood sampling study. The first 800 blood samples were delivered to the laboritary in late February.

Dr Stamataki added that it was these Porton Down assays that the commercial antibody tests which the government has taken options on are being validated against.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Raabs DK is 48/100.

Cannot know for sure but I would suspect more than a touch of dumbism.
  • Options

Cookie said:

The work at Porton Down is understood to have been underway since January. Moreover, it plays to our skill set as a nation, based as it is on high-end science rather than the more mundane - but crucially important business - of high volume throughput or production.

Experts say the first two months were spent validating high tech “assays” for reliably identifying coronavirus antibodies and designing a robust longitudinal blood sampling study. The first 800 blood samples were delivered to the laboritary in late February.

Dr Stamataki added that it was these Porton Down assays that the commercial antibody tests which the government has taken options on are being validated against.
    It is encouraging. Any relaible test will have to be produced on an industrial scale though, presumably those involved are only too aware of that.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    eadric said:

Yes. That’s (hopefully) the flaw in their data

Well seeing the BBC report from a London ICU, one thing that really struck me, nowhere near the chaos we have seen in the likes of Italy or NY.

It was clearly very busy, clearly very stressful, but no signs of 100s of patients rammed absolutely into every corner of the corridors etc.

And now there is a lot of rumblings that the Excel centre may never really be needed and certainly unlikely to need the full 4,000 bed capacity.
  • Options

eadric said:

We wanted some good news...
    twitter.com/marklevinshow/status/1247500269258190849?s=21

“All we need to do is adjust the system to the new sequence,” he said. “We are in the middle of this process, and hopefully in a few weeks we will have the vaccine in our hands...

MIGAL would be responsible for developing the new vaccine, but it would then have to go through a regulatory process, including clinical trials and large-scale production, Katz said.

So it might be really cool and a solution, but they aren't even as far along as lots of the other candidates. They are simply saying they might have a different and better way of making vaccines.

There is no way they can do full set of clinical trials in 90 days.
    The 90 days is to get regulatory approval for first human dosing, probably ?

The pace of vaccine development has been almost unprecedented. But once they gets into clinical trials, there isn't much you can do to speed things up (except on the production side, Bill Gates style).
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432

eek said:

66k for the UK (!)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/apr/07/coronavirus-live-news-boris-johnson-intensive-care-uk-donald-trump-america-us-praying-recovery-latest-updates?page=with:block-5e8c626d8f08ec70cecec0de#block-5e8c626d8f08ec70cecec0de
    The projections on resource use show us (today) several times capacity both in overall beds and ICU beds. I think (unless I've really missed something in the news!) that this is not the case. As they seem to be projecting the high deaths mainly on the severe overwhelming of facilities, it appears that their estimates are overly pessimistic.

Depends when they developed the model and how much it's updated with actual bed use (apparently not at all). The Imperial models probably show similar without the more severe lockdown
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Happy Birthday!

Going somewhere nice?

Ah.

Indeed. I will raise a glass in your honour this evening.
    (Grasping the excuse.)
    I must admit, any given day at the moment is pleasant. I am rising later, retiring earlier, spending more time with my wife and children; we are exploring the bits of green space on our doorstep; making dens in the woods, teaching my youngest to ride a bike, gardening, baking. If it wasn't for the unfortunate challenge of also having to work for a living at the same time I would even say life is idyllic.

The threat of illness and the almost certainty that some of those I love will die is unpleasant, as is the worry about whether the economy will recover. But if I can live in the moment, the now is actually a fine place to be.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Hoping Boris Johnson recovers very soon.
    I have been in similar position, frightening experience.

Also seen my granddaughter on numerous occasions, fighting for life on oxygen.
    Very distressing to see.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    "YouTube tightens rules after David Icke 5G interview

YouTube has banned all conspiracy theory videos falsely linking coronavirus symptoms to 5G networks.
    The Google-owned service will now delete videos violating the policy. It had previously limited itself to reducing the frequency it recommended them in its Up Next section.
    The move follows a live-streamed interview with conspiracy theorist David Icke on Monday, in which he had linked the technology to the pandemic.
    YouTube said the video would be wiped."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52198946
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Rumblings?! They should be cheers. If the Excel centre is a completely unused resource that would be a magnificent thing.

That's what I thought. But Sky, being awesome that they are, reported it as if the government will have wasted money on it. Same way as they were criticising Hancock for paying for the initial sample anti-body tests.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

eadric said:

maaarsh said:

66k for the UK (!)

And fewer than 18k beds overall. How on Earth do they think we cope normally?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I'm a bit curious about where the scientists are pouring the blood samples
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610

66k for the UK (!)

There's no sign at the moment that UK deaths will be that high.
  • Options
    758 more Covid-19 related deaths in England.
  • Options

Cookie said:

It is encouraging. Any relaible test will have to be produced on an industrial scale though, presumably those involved are only too aware of that.
    Well perhaps, but well before you get to that stage you get a lot of the information you need just from a sample of the population. It would be good to know whether each individual has had it or not, but simply knowing what proportion of the population has had it is, I would argue, well over half the battle. Which is what they are currently trying to do.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    eadric said:
    Israel reckons it will have an orally administered vaccine within 21 days or so.

If that is true, who would have backed it to win the global race?

Extraordinary story.
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

maaarsh said:

66k for the UK (!)

eadric said:

maaarsh said:

66k for the UK (!)

Well seeing the BBC report from a London ICU, one thing that really struck me, nowhere near the chaos we have seen in the likes of Italy or NY.

And now there is a lot of rumblings that the Excel centre may never really be needed and certainly unlikely to need the full 4,000 bed capacity.
    Rumblings?! They should be cheers. If the Excel centre is a completely unused resource that would be a magnificent thing.
    also, the knowledge in what to do and how to do it is an important resource.
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

maaarsh said:

66k for the UK (!)

eadric said:

maaarsh said:

66k for the UK (!)

Indeed.
    We're far from out of the woods yet. We could easily find that we are nowhere near the peak yet. But I agree - if the whole thing goes utterly unused, Hoo-bloody-ray.
  • Options

That's what I thought. But Sky, being awesome that they are, reported it as if the government will have wasted money on it. Same way as they were criticising Hancock for paying for the initial sample anti-body tests.
    Selebian said:

eek said:

66k for the UK (!)

The projections on resource use show us (today) several times capacity both in overall beds and ICU beds. I think (unless I've really missed something in the news!) that this is not the case. As they seem to be projecting the high deaths mainly on the severe overwhelming of facilities, it appears that their estimates are overly pessimistic.

Depends when they developed the model and how much it's updated with actual bed use (apparently not at all). The Imperial models probably show similar without the more severe lockdown
    Interesting that the Guardian doesn't comment on the obviously wrong numbers for hospital beds and ICU beds.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    That's a big leap from yesterday.

I can understand figures jumping on a Monday due to weekend processing causing a spot of lag, but our numbers seem a bit jumpy, going down a bit, then up.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

Has to be Raab, though.

I don't think the need will arise - since Boris will recover - but if it did I'd say Gove.
    Well hopefully you are right - but there is certainly the need now for a stand in until he does.
  • Options

eadric said:
    Israel reckons it will have an orally administered vaccine within 21 days or so.

Extraordinary story.
    Not really.
    “All we need to do is adjust the system to the new sequence,” he said. “We are in the middle of this process, and hopefully in a few weeks we will have the vaccine in our hands. Yes, in a few weeks, if it all works, we would have a vaccine to prevent coronavirus.”
    MIGAL would be responsible for developing the new vaccine, but it would then have to go through a regulatory process, including clinical trials and large-scale production, Katz said....

They have yet even to start dosing human volunteers, so there are probably a good half a dozen groups ahead of them, possibly more.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Well perhaps, but well before you get to that stage you get a lot of the information you need just from a sample of the population. It would be good to know whether each individual has had it or not, but simply knowing what proportion of the population has had it is, I would argue, well over half the battle. Which is what they are currently trying to do.
    the population testing is a vital first step
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

maaarsh said:

66k for the UK (!)

eadric said:

maaarsh said:

66k for the UK (!)

Wonder if there will be pressure to keep it in mothballs over the winter - just in case? Or maybe they now know they can stick it up again in a week if they have to...
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    Nigelb said:

eadric said:

Extraordinary story.
    Not really.
    “All we need to do is adjust the system to the new sequence,” he said. “We are in the middle of this process, and hopefully in a few weeks we will have the vaccine in our hands. Yes, in a few weeks, if it all works, we would have a vaccine to prevent coronavirus.”
    MIGAL would be responsible for developing the new vaccine, but it would then have to go through a regulatory process, including clinical trials and large-scale production, Katz said....

They have yet even to start dosing human volunteers, so there are probably a good half a dozen groups ahead of them, possibly more.
    Fair enough.

As an aside, a market on which nation wins the global race for a vaccine would be good – and something positive to bet on.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

758 more Covid-19 related deaths in England.

Christ, that's not good.

I am intrigued. We are seeing the sort of level of deaths as Italy, Spain and France, but no real reports of hospitals crashing under the weight of cases. We have had a couple of hospitals have alerts, but nothing like in Northern Italy or Madrid, where hospitals were literally sinking under the shear volume of people, beds everywhere, people on floors, etc.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Happy Birthday!

Going somewhere nice?

Ah.

Grandson's first driving lesson on public roads is/was scheduled for later this month. On his 17th birthday.
This discussion has been closed.