Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we start the Easter Weekend welcome to tonight’s PB Nightha

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited April 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we start the Easter Weekend welcome to tonight’s PB Nighthawks Cafe

Normally the Thursday afternoon and evening before Good Friday is just about the busiest it gets on the roads during the year. Huge traffic jams build up on the roads and it can be mighty frustrating. Well today has been different. Everything is so different this year.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited April 2020
    First 'cos the roads are clear.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,658
    Is it particularly busy around this holiday normally compared to others? I had no idea. It's all the rich buggers on here going on holiday all the time.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Hopefully this dumb ass nonsense won’t reach England.

https://twitter.com/iealondon/status/1248354250209611783?s=21
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    An impressive Horizon programme on BBC2 has just finished. An hour of Covid-19 that was both informative and digestible. Even an Oxford PPE graduate could follow it. Well done.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Dr. Anthony Fauci: Virus death toll may be ‘more like 60,000 than 100,000 to 200,000’"

https://www.today.com/video/dr-anthony-fauci-virus-death-toll-may-be-more-like-60-000-than-100-00-to-200-000-81825861735

This could mean the UK figure will be around 12,000, since our population is 5 times less than the USA.

It'll be more than that in a week or so.

Remember that the redition in the US estimates, assuming reasonableness, were taking account of latest measures. Our pretty optimistic prediction of 20000 was already supposed to be if we did very well.
  • Options
    There's only man who might understand what that's saying - Donald Trump.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,936
    TGOHF666 said:

This is worth pulling out from that report:

"Those on below-average incomes have been hit hardest, with those in the bottom income group increasing their expenditure on alcohol by 11 per cent."

An awful policy that has managed to make the lives of the miserable even worse.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2020
    Andy_JS said:

"Dr. Anthony Fauci: Virus death toll may be ‘more like 60,000 than 100,000 to 200,000’"

https://www.today.com/video/dr-anthony-fauci-virus-death-toll-may-be-more-like-60-000-than-100-00-to-200-000-81825861735

This could mean the UK figure will be around 12,000, since our population is 5 times less than the USA.

There is square root of f##k all chance we are getting away with 12,000. I don't think we are keeping it below 20,000 either (especially if we include all the care home deaths).
  • Options
    Why the hell are the US still doing in person daily press conferences? Have they never heard of Microsoft Teams?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    kyf_100 said:

TGOHF666 said:

"Those on below-average incomes have been hit hardest, with those in the bottom income group increasing their expenditure on alcohol by 11 per cent."

Alcoholics will give up food before they give up drink.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,028
    It's a relief that normal service has resumed. Lilico said a few dangerously rational things recently.
  • Options
    glw said:

kyf_100 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Not all people on low income are alcoholics.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Scott_xP said:
    Was the Guardian after a gotcha moment I wonder?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

On Robert Jenrick: I popped round with my partner to see mum yesterday. We sat in her back garden two metres apart from her. She was jittery that she was breaking the law even though it had been our decision and we were on her property appropriately socially distanced throughout. She appreciated the company.

If a son goes round his parents to see they’re ok, that’s more than ok by me. This period is bad enough without busybodies making it worse.

Well, at least all the supporters of Jenrick stuck up for Stephen Kinnock the other week, or where would we be?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Scott_xP said:

twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1248360110835011584

Now about the press being absolute dicks in this crisis....

If he had been caught going on a 300 mile round trip jolly to the lake district, wells that's totally a different matter. Instead, clearly some curtain twitcher has dobbed him into the Guardian and they decided to run it regardless.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314
    If you can, I feel Andrew is low risk.
  • Options
    The Guardian is turning into a nasty tabloid for Jew haters.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

Andy_JS said:

There is square root of f##k all chance we are getting away with 12,000. I don't think we are keeping it below 20,000 either (especially if we include all the care home deaths).
    To pedantise* on something I know you know full well, the square root of a near-zero positive number is ... a slightly larger positive number...

We should probably say something like "the cube of naff-all" but it doesn't sound as good!

Don't think your numerical prediction is going to be proven wrong though.

* Astonishingly (to me) this word is in the dictionary, which has pretty much made my day. It's been that kind of day.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

If he had been caught going on a 300 mile round trip jolly to the lake district, wells that's totally a different matter.
    He's apparently "facing questions" according to the Guardian.

What, for being a compassionate human and helping out his mum and dad who needed shopping and medication? Quite right, that kind of person doesn't belong in the Tory party.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

We'll almost certainly be above 12,000 by the middle of next week once everything is counted, and even after the first wave subsides, it will be a long road back to normality, with a lot of infection just deferred.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Foxy said:

On Robert Jenrick: I popped round with my partner to see mum yesterday. We sat in her back garden two metres apart from her. She was jittery that she was breaking the law even though it had been our decision and we were on her property appropriately socially distanced throughout. She appreciated the company.

If a son goes round his parents to see they’re ok, that’s more than ok by me. This period is bad enough without busybodies making it worse.

Well, at least all the supporters of Jenrick stuck up for Stephen Kinnock the other week, or where would we be?
    The reaction to that was way OTT. Slightly less sympathetic reasons, but the reaction was the equivalent of the idiot plod complaining too many people buying non-essentials in the supermarket.
  • Options
    Why Jenrick ?

Jenrick is a member of the Parliamentary Conservative Friends of Israel (CFI) group.[13][14] In June 2019, he represented the government at the Israel-Palestine peace initiative, led by Jared Kushner.[15] In January 2020, Jenrick spoke at the CFI parliamentary reception and told the audience that he would "look forward to the day" when Britain's embassy in Israel will be "moved to Jerusalem", adding that "as Housing Secretary I don't like land-banking. I want us to build that embassy".
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    TGOHF666 said:

glw said:

kyf_100 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Of course not, but if you are trying to get people who have a drink problem to drink less pricing is a blunt tool, and the people with the biggest problem will be the most disposed to prioritising buying alcohol.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

If he had been caught going on a 300 mile round trip jolly to the lake district, wells that's totally a different matter.

What, for being a compassionate human and helping out his mum and dad who needed shopping and medication? Quite right, that kind of person doesn't belong in the Tory party.
    Compassionate Conservatives don't exist though...they are to a man and woman all evil baby eaters.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,156
    eadric said:

Indeed. I read that tweet half a dozen times and couldn’t make sense of it. Still can’t
    He seems to think EU membership can lead to communism or an Islamic Caliphate. It's a thought, I suppose. An alt-right one you'd probably hear from Molyneux or that Prison Planet wanker. Was Lilico ever taken seriously?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Compassionate Conservatives don't exist though...they are to a man and woman all evil baby eaters.
    Compassionate Conservatives kill the babies first.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
  • Options

Foxy said:

The reaction to that was way OTT. Slightly less sympathetic reasons, but the reaction was the equivalent of the idiot plod complaining too many people buying non-essentials in the supermarket.
    Oh, I agree. But who can fight the British mob with its blood up?

It is a displacement activity for people who feel powerless in the face of nature.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    The Mail has made it a splash.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Yep we did. Exactly the same people who were on here defending Jenrick today were defending Kinnock earlier in the week. Same issue, same position. Both were absolutely in the right and should not be criticised.
  • Options

Is the Mail turning on the

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    The Mail had made it a splash.

Not really surprising, the Daily Rant have been really going for the government the past couple of weeks.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

The media really aren't having a good crisis, are they? It's not as if he was going there for a jolly like the Scottish CMO...
  • Options

Foxy said:

Yep we did. Exactly the same people who were on here defending Jenrick today were defending Kinnock earlier in the week. Same issue, same position. Both were absolutely in the right and should not be criticised.
    I haven't criticised them.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

The media really aren't having a good crisis, are they? It's not as if he was going there for a jolly like the Scottish CMO...
    Not quite as bad as them blaming chief egghead for catching the disease. Its one thing blaming Boris for getting it and nearly dying, we will glide past that, but they also blamed the chief egghead as if he has a choice about the environments in which he is having to work, trying to do his best to make the right decisions to save lives.

I mean he definitely should have done better not to catch this thing that literally can spread so easily you need to be in a spacesuit 24/7 to be safe.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Not really surprising, the Daily Rant have been really going for the government the past couple of weeks.
    They want the lockdown stopped and are just plain stupid
  • Options
    I bet Boris is chomping at the bit to get out of hospital...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,583

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

40 miles according to the Guardian; 150 according to the Mail.

Either way, he seems to have had a valid reason for the visit, so I expect this to die away in a day or two.
  • Options
    Time for the government to deploy the Van-Tam again. He doesn't take no shit from the press.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Not quite as bad as them blaming chief egghead for catching the disease. Its one thing blaming Boris for getting it and nearly dying, we will glide past that, but they also blamed the chief egghead as if he has a choice about the environments in which he is having to work, trying to do his best to make the right decisions to save lives.

I mean he definitely should have done better not to catch this thing that literally can spread so easily you need to be in a spacesuit 24/7 to be safe.
    At least now the top team are immune ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

if he has any sense he will convalesce quietly in Chequers for a week or two. Hypoxia doesn't make for clear thoughts.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Either way, he seems to have had a valid reason for the visit, so I expect this to die away in a day or two.
    My bigger concern is especially coming up to this Easter holiday weekend, it muddies the message and potentially encourages people to say well if the government minister can do this, I will go on a jolly and round it off with a call into the fam, cos that will be ok cover if I need to have an excuse.

Just like the press love to ask the politicians how many people have you killed today minister with that decision...how many people have you killed today members of the press?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Going to have to catch up on Horizon, missed half of it.

It was clear and free from breathless hype.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    The research, conducted by King's College London and pollsters Ipsos Mori, finds 15% of the population already say they are finding the restrictions very challenging and another 14% expect they will be unable to cope within the next month.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52228169

Imagine if the government had locked us down when the media demanded it? Its like these behavioural insight people might know something.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

This might cheer you up ... had a conversation today with one of the modelling eggheads who contributes to the PHE forecasting that goes up the chain of command to the chief eggheads (and I think is the set of figures that goes out to the individual hospitals) and turns out his team are using Bayesian model stacking ensembles to improve their predictive accuracy. Not just relying on the over-a-decade-old undocumented C code of the Imperial crew...
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    I read the first two lines of the article and assumed you were talking about the normal weekly excitement about local by-elections
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161

The research, conducted by King's College London and pollsters Ipsos Mori, finds 15% of the population already say they are finding the restrictions very challenging and another 14% expect they will be unable to cope within the next month.

Imagine if the government had locked us down when the media demanded it? Its like these behavioural insight people might know something.

This. 100x this.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

It wasn't best practice given locals were able to assist his relatives, but given he never entered the house and dropped off some medication I can't say I think of this as a hanging offence or frontpage news.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

This might cheer you up ... had a conversation today with one of the modelling eggheads who contributes to the PHE forecasting that goes up the chain of command to the chief eggheads (and I think is the set of figures that goes out to the individual hospitals) and turns out his team are using Bayesian model stacking ensembles to improve their predictive accuracy. Not just relying on the over-a-decade-old undocumented C code of the Imperial crew...
    Yeap. There is a load of really interesting work getting under way, with inputs from multiple fields who traditionally don't often talk to one another very much.

Having done quite a bit of reading of what people traditionally use, I was shocked that things like "Gaussian Processes" never seem to feature. They are ideal for analysing the progression of current case / death data.

Realistically until there is a vaccine, we need much more advanced models to be able to move out of the lockdown phase.
  • Options
    "US President Donald Trump will soon take to the podium for his daily update on Covid-19.

The White House announced today that everyone in the room for the daily briefing will be given a rapid Covid-19 test, with results expected before the start of the briefing."
    BBC

What's this rapid Covid-19 test and why don't we have it in the UK?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,280
    eadric said:

Indeed. I read that tweet half a dozen times and couldn’t make sense of it. Still can’t
    He's gone barking.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

But but.. we were told EVIDENCE.
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815

I'm not sure I follow that logic.

We'll be in exactly the same position after the delayed lockdown, it will take just as long and more people will have died.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Warning to the ‘perfectly fit and healthy’ people who are 3-4 stone overweight

https://twitter.com/alistairhaimes/status/1248353767684276224?s=21
  • Options

I agree with you, but that won't stop the busybodies.

This is the moment they've been secretly waiting for all their lives.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I haven't criticised them.
    I know. I was making the point that your claims about people only defending their own side were wide of the mark. Most people on PB with some dishonourable exceptions are sticking to their own personal positions on what is right and wrong irrespective of party allegiance. As I said those who defended Jenrick tonight are the same ones who were defending Kinnock a few days ago.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Going to have to catch up on Horizon, missed half of it.

It was clear and free from breathless hype.

The one on BBC4 last night was excellent.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Or Prince Charles.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

But but.. we were told EVIDENCE.
    Where there was a lack of evidence there was virtue aplenty to fill the void,
  • Options

It's a relief that normal service has resumed. Lilico said a few dangerously rational things recently.
    I can't remember who it was on here before (Sean Fear?) that there is more than one Andrew Lilico. There are several Andrew Lilicos.

Once you think of it like that it all starts to make sense.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Yeap. There is a load of really interesting work getting under way, with inputs from multiple fields who traditionally don't often talk to one another very much.

Having done quite a bit of reading of what people traditionally use, I was shocked that things like "Gaussian Processes" never seem to feature. They ideal for analysing the progression of current case / death data.

Realistically until there is a vaccine, we need much more advanced models to be able to move out of the lockdown phase.
    As I understand it, the impetus for these ML-inspired approaches in infectious disease modelling has come from Kaggle-style epidemic forecasting competitions over the last couple of years. There's a slightly morbid quality to that - got to be an unpleasantly mixed feeling when you lose because the deaths today weren't high enough...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

if he has any sense he will convalesce quietly in Chequers for a week or two. Hypoxia doesn't make for clear thoughts.
    I heard someone on the radio say you need a month of convalescence for every night in ICU
    Is there owt in this?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Or Prince Charles.
    The Duke of Rothesay was staying in his primary residence. ;)

More seriously, he wasn't telling people to stay indoors.
  • Options

I can't remember who it was on here before (Sean Fear?) that there is more than one Andrew Lilico. There are several Andrew Lilicos.

How apt of SeanT to warn that some people have several instances.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

I'm not sure I follow that logic.

We'll be in exactly the same position after the delayed lockdown, it will take just as long and more people will have died.
    As the Italian PM said on tv (I believe last night). You go too early and everybody thinks you are crazy as there are only (insert small number of deaths) and nobody obeys the rules. Then you are in this big fight trying to get enough people to stick it, and then that can result in having to be in lockdown even longer as you don't actually squash the R0 number enough, instead just getting this prolonged transmission.

You could argue the government left it a bit too late and shouldn't have allowed the likes of the nags on. I personally thought should have been a week previous.

But it is a careful balance, you have to have people at a stage where they know they need to isolate, they are getting scared of what is happening and thus the vast majority will agree to do so.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

I heard someone on the radio say you need a month of convalescence for every night in ICU
    Is there owt in this?
    In some cases, no doubt, but since Boris was never on a ventilator I think it's reasonable to assume he's on the other end of the spectrum.
  • Options
    glw said:

TGOHF666 said:

glw said:

kyf_100 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Of course not, but if you are trying to get people who have a drink problem to drink less pricing is a blunt tool, and the people with the biggest problem will be the most disposed to prioritising buying alcohol.
    It will lower overall consumption quantities - most markets are sensitive to price - but that doesn't say anything about black markets, home brews or the behaviour of those most desperate or addicted.

Personally I think Governments should leave well alone and tackle the root cause mental health issues instead.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    edited April 2020

This. 100x this.
    Reading into it, that number is vastly increased by the young, who want to get out more (well, they will probably suffer less if they get it). Much less than that for 45 and over, who are clearly highly concerned about it. Let's not have the former lead the debate, so putting the latter in danger. They have a long life ahead of them and a few months won't change that.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

My bigger concern is especially coming up to this Easter holiday weekend, it muddies the message and potentially encourages people to say well if the government minister can do this, I will go on a jolly and round it off with a call into the fam, cos that will be ok cover if I need to have an excuse.

Just like the press love to ask the politicians how many people have you killed today minister with that decision...how many people have you killed today members of the press?
    I fear the exact opposite. By making it seem as if it is not legitimate to look after aged parents it potentially puts lives at risk. It is extremely dangerous by the media and all for a neat headline.
  • Options

I said Sean Fear, but yeah whatever.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

I fear the exact opposite. By making it seem as if it is not legitimate to look after aged parents it potentially puts lives at risk. It is extremely dangerous by the media and all for a neat headline.
    I think that is a very good point.

As well as giving cover to the twats who just want to ignore the rules and go for a day trip to the lake district, it will probably scare honest law abiding folk trying to do the right thing into not wanting to get dobbed in by the curtain twitchers by visiting an elderly relative to make sure they are ok.
  • Options

"US President Donald Trump will soon take to the podium for his daily update on Covid-19.

The White House announced today that everyone in the room for the daily briefing will be given a rapid Covid-19 test, with results expected before the start of the briefing."
    BBC

What's this rapid Covid-19 test and why don't we have it in the UK?

https://www.simplymedsonline.co.uk/diagnostic-kits/covid-19-coronavirus-test-kit.html

Claims 92% accuracy and MRHA approval FWIW.
  • Options

I said Sean Fear, but yeah whatever.
    My mistake - apols
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    edited April 2020
    Very good point by Andy Burnham. If it's a phased end to the lockdown then it can't be on a regional basis. The people of Birmingham and elsewhere are not going to stay indoors if they see people in, say, London out on the lash.

As I have said before, it should be a gradual indoor inkspot lifting with people increasing the group of people they associate with gradually.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Or Prince Charles.

Even more seriously, his mum's ministers were. You can't play that just a private citizen card on his behalf unless and until he and Cams disclaim it all and feck off to Malibu to join the sussexes.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    TOPPING said:

Very good point by Andy Burnham. If it's a phased end to the lockdown then it can't be on a regional basis. The people of Birmingham and elsewhere are not going to stay indoors if they see people in, say, London out on the lash.

As I have said before, it should be a gradual indoor inkspot lifting with people increasing the group of people they associate with gradually.

Of course it could be done locally. Surplus police from non-locked-down areas could be used to enforce the local lockdown.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I fear after all the ridiculous questions from the media about what constituted allowable exercise, what about the plod chasing down freelance journalists and were people allowed to have kids play dates...all the moronic press pack will now be spending all of tomorrow coming up with ludicrous scenarios if that is ok in terms of compassionate care to ask at the presser.

I am claiming it now, it will be 10 questions are about this story and include the most eye rolling bollocks of if a government minister can do x, can a member of the public do y.
  • Options
    I've realised I basically watch Aliens for the auto sentry gun scenes.

Love that bit.
  • Options
    eadric said:

isam said:

Let ‘em die, the fat bastards

Seriously. If you can’t stop stuffing yourself with chip butties for a few weeks you are life undeserving of life. Likewise smokers. Stub it out, plague-pit-dodger
    What about pussies such as yourself? You add nothing to the nation and just take up valuable resource from those more worthy than you (ie everyone).

As a service to us all you should apply for voluntary euthanasia. Cause of death? Being sat on by someone with a BMI above 30.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    TOPPING said:

The other worry is people then decide to travel to an area which isn't restricted e.g. just like the initial Italian lockdown. We aren't like Canada, where big cities are 1000s of miles apart, it takes a 2-3 hours to drive to London from lots of places and people will do it for a night out.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Or Prince Charles.

I'm glad we can now all accept that the royal family are irrelevant to the behaviour of the nation(s).

What are they for again?
  • Options
    eadric said:

isam said:

Let ‘em die, the fat bastards

Seriously. If you can’t stop stuffing yourself with chip butties for a few weeks you are life undeserving of life. Likewise smokers. Stub it out, plague-pit-dodger
    Do you feel the same about heavy drinkers and former heroin addicts?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

At least now the top team are immune ;)
    Or will be in two to three weeks time.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

TOPPING said:

Of course it could be done locally. Surplus police from non-locked-down areas could be used to enforce the local lockdown.
    Jesus you don't understand the Brits do you.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    edited April 2020
    TOPPING said:

Do you know, I think if this had happened 30 or 40 years ago people in different areas would have been issued with slightly different instructions. For example, those living in rural / isolated areas like the Orkney and Shetland Islands would have received less stringent instructions compared to people living in big cities like London and Birmingham. And guess what: 99% of people in all of those areas would have respected their local instructions without complaining. The problem today is that there's an obsession with everyone getting "equal treatment" which makes such an approach utterly unworkable.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I've realised I basically watch Aliens for the auto sentry gun scenes.

Love that bit.

"Now all we need is a deck of cards" is a cool line even by Aliens standards.

I don't think the sentry guns were in the original release, they wwere put back in to the director's cut.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Does anybody still sing Happy Birthday while washing their hands? This was all the rage a couple of weeks ago but nobody seems to have mentioned it since
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

As much as anyone.
    I think we need mass arrests to make the point.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

The other worry is people then decide to travel to an area which isn't restricted e.g. just like the initial Italian lockdown. We aren't like Canada, where big cities are 1000s of miles apart, it takes a 2-3 hours to drive to London from lots of places and people will do it for a night out.
    Yep.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

TOPPING said:

Do you know, I think if this had happened 30 or 40 years ago, people in different areas would have been issued with different instructions. For example, those living in rural / isolated areas like the Orkney and Shetland Islands would have received less stringent instructions compared to people living in big cities like London and Birmingham. And guess what: 99% of people in all of those areas would have respected their local instructions without complaining. The problem today is that there's an obsession with everyone getting "equal treatment" which makes such an approach utterly unworkable.
    I think it is just one of those kites flown to be shot down. No one could seriously think it might work.
  • Options

Does anybody still sing Happy Birthday while washing their hands? This was all the rage a couple of weeks ago but nobody seems to have mentioned it since

Yes. I did today. For some reason. It is not that long a song. (The Radiohead version that is.)
  • Options
    Imagine if Wales lift restriction before England, all those people in places like Bristol will be over that Second Seven crossing before you can say gert lush. And what about Scotland before England, all those that go down the toon, will be in Edinburgh on the lash instead.

Would be a total an utter disaster, unless you are going to have Chinese style blockades around cities.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Yep.
    Roadblocks.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

As much as anyone.
    I think we need mass arrests to make the point.
    I think your spiritual home is many miles East.

That's not how we do it here.
This discussion has been closed.