Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there is a further clampdown it will be on the definition o

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited April 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there is a further clampdown it will be on the definition of exercise

One of the great areas of the shutdown that is open to interpretation is what constitutes exercise – something that you are allowed to do alone or with a member of your household.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    First...and ban fucking joggers
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    If they consider the risk of spreading the disease to outweigh the benefits of exercise (which are very considerable), I would be surprised but accept that.

Banning exercise because other people are picnicking doesn't make sense to me.

I hope the government carefully considers the data as to whether the social distancing is working, and resists the calls from those in the press eager to exercise their natural love of finding individuals to blame.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611
    (FPT)This is a serious challenge to Mike's conventional wisdom of what determines elections...
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/04/joe-biden-democratic-nominee-why.html
    ...This has been true all along—and perhaps mysteriously, it has worked to Biden’s advantage. While Sanders and Elizabeth Warren supporters were louder, had an enormous online footprint, and advanced arguments and issues that have changed the party, it was Biden voters who turned out in droves in the primary, despite their silence online. This has made the nominee’s victory feel confusing. It demands an explanation that common-sense theories about how political enthusiasm, exposure, and airtime should affect turnout cannot provide. Despite an apparent lack of enthusiastic adherents, an associated lack of funds, underwhelming debate performances, and no clear agenda, Biden floated to victory. The question is why—and can whatever powered him to the top do the same in the general?...
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    edited April 2020
    FPT
    tyson said:

Fuck me..only 49%.....if you don't feel more anxious or depressed at this time with the zombie apocalypse being enacted outside our homes what would have to happen to make these 51% more anxious than usual....

I am the embodiment of one of those dichotomies Stodge was mentioning. Obviously I want this plague to go away because I am apparently in an at risk category, I have family and friends who are at risk and I don't want people in the wider population to be dying of this bastard thing.

But I would be lying if I didn't admit that I am absolutely loving the temporary shut down of much of Britain both wholesale (which means fewer cars on the roads, cleaner air and clearer skies and a pleasing silence hanging over the countryside - or rather a replacement of man mad noise with the natural) and personal so I don't have to run all the clubs and societies I am involved with.

The best way I can describe it is like going on a really enjoyable party time bender. The drinking is fantastic, the music is fab and the company is unbelievable. But I know that when I wake up tomorrow morning I will be back in reality with one hell of a hangover, ringing in my ears and potentially a dose of a very antisocial disease
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611
    tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?
    The two activities hardly seem complementary.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Lucky you in the UK who are still allowed out for "exercise" - some of us have been banned from leaving the house except for buying groceries (permission required in advance) for a week now.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Been out for my daily walk.

Glorious day and very uplifting to be outdoors....

But I am happy to stick with the lock down because I want to keep my health and I want others to keep theirs.

Very quiet out and social distancing was very good.

Walked past a park and again nearly deserted and no sun bathers.

Now - in less positive news....

I heard today from a doctor at local hospital that we are not near the peak they are expecting.

He reckons 1500 a day at peak and he says 50k overall is expectation

And that's if we carry on as we are ....

• Options
    Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?
    They need banning because they do not respect 2 meters....many of them...on our walk today I had to tell at least 10 to make some kind of assessment of what 2 meters is....
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?
    Blast, beat me to it.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,949
    tyson said:

Quite right. A smart casual dress code for our streets would do wonders for the nation's morale.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Sandpit said:

Lucky you in the UK who are still allowed out for "exercise" - some of us have been banned from leaving the house except for buying groceries (permission required in advance) for a week now.

Over 3 weeks for us with probably little change until May at best.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    I fail to see why a tighter definition is needed? After all sunbathing or picknicking alone in the park keeps greater social distancing than jogging, cycling or walking through it with a group of other people.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    That picture has just made me realise what a strange word picnicking is.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    So thats 953 hospital deaths reported in UK today - Europes highest I believe
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    I propose we implement a temporary replacement national anthem until the crisis has passed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA7bI26Y8uU
  • Options
    edited April 2020

FPT

tyson said:

Fuck me..only 49%.....if you don't feel more anxious or depressed at this time with the zombie apocalypse being enacted outside our homes what would have to happen to make these 51% more anxious than usual....

I am the embodiment of one of those dichotomies Stodge was mentioning. Obviously I want this plague to go away because I am apparently in an at risk category, I have family and friends who are at risk and I don't want people in the wider population to be dying of this bastard thing.

But I would be lying if I didn't admit that I am absolutely loving the temporary shut down of much of Britain both wholesale (which means fewer cars on the roads, cleaner air and clearer skies and a pleasing silence hanging over the countryside - or rather a replacement of man mad noise with the natural) and personal so I don't have to run all the clubs and societies I am involved with.

The best way I can describe it is like going on a really enjoyable party time bender. The drinking is fantastic, the music is fab and the company is unbelievable. But I know that when I wake up tomorrow morning I will be back in reality with one hell of a hangover, ringing in my ears and potentially a dose of a very antisocial disease
    I have to agree with you to some extent...there are some wonderful by products of the lock down....I love seeing empty road, clear skies..the night sky..urban wildlife like foxes, birdsong...I'm reading more, and re-using jars (like empty jam jars....like my mum used to do)...I'm cooking more.....and working less....and feeling less pressured to do stuff....
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?
    I would have thought it’s covered under public decency laws.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    FPT

Of the 866 new deaths announced today, 117 occurred on 9 April while 720 took place between 1 April and 8 April.

The remaining 29 deaths occurred in March, including one on March 5.

Doesn't all this make trying to get a trend from the numbers essentially useless? By the time the numbers are definiative enough to plot a trend, we'll be taking about cases infected at least 6 weeks previously, probably more like 2 months.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,636
    HYUFD said:

I fail to see why a tighter definition is needed? After all sunbathing or picknicking alone in the park keeps greater social distancing than jogging, cycling or walking through it with a group of other people.

+1
  • Options
    tyson said:

You seem to dislike a lot of types of people: joggers, people who go on cruises, etc.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    HYUFD said:

In theory everyone can go out for a jog, cycle, or walk every day while still observing social distancing. Sunbathing or picnicking is fine as long as only a few people do it, but a problem once enough people are doing it. There's no fair way of deciding who the few people allowed to sunbathe or picnic should be, so they advise against. It's a shame but there's a logic to it.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    If I went out for a walk and felt in need of a short rest before heading home, I see no issue with sitting for a few minutes on a park bench if one was available. But the way a few members of the Police are behaving that might lead to a fine.

And it is the inconsistent behaviour of the Police and other authorities that is making this somewhat harder than it needs to be.

No-one should be going out to sit in the sun. But there are legitimate reasons why someone might need a rest whilst out exercising.

Similarly people should not be challenged for allowing their children to play in their own garden.

There is a lot at stake. But unless policing is absolutely consistent, then people will continue to lose patience with the instructions.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?
    They need banning because they do not respect 2 meters....many of them...on our walk today I had to tell at least 10 to make some kind of assessment of what 2 meters is....
    Does telling fucking joggers that they should be 2 metres apart count as coitus interrupt us?
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,684
    Floater said:

Has our Government taken control of incoming flights yet?

Or is this not a problem in their scheme of things?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

In theory everyone can go out for a jog, cycle, or walk every day while still observing social distancing. Sunbathing or picnicking is fine as long as only a few people do it, but a problem once enough people are doing it. There's no fair way of deciding who the few people allowed to sunbathe or picnic should be, so they advise against. It's a shame but there's a logic to it.
    It's the logic of saying no-one should be allowed to do anything in case a rule might possibly be broken. It's the opposite of trusting people to do the right thing.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Andy_JS said:

tyson said:

You seem to dislike a lot of types of people: joggers, people who go on cruises, etc.
    People who jog on cruise ships get particular attention.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Floater said:

Has our Government taken control of incoming flights yet?

Or is this not a problem in their scheme of things?
    I would suggest that it is not a problem, and they have far bigger things to worry about.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,749
    If distancing is correctly observed a lone sunbather occupies an area of lawn 6m x 5m for as long as they feel like. This strikes me as a selfish "privatisation" of a scarce resource. Do policemen still say "move along there please" like George Dixon?
  • Options

If I went out for a walk and felt in need of a short rest before heading home, I see no issue with sitting for a few minutes on a park bench if one was available. But the way a few members of the Police are behaving that might lead to a fine.

And it is the inconsistent behaviour of the Police and other authorities that is making this somewhat harder than it needs to be.

No-one should be going out to sit in the sun. But there are legitimate reasons why someone might need a rest whilst out exercising.

Similarly people should not be challenged for allowing their children to play in their own garden.

There is a lot at stake. But unless policing is absolutely consistent, then people will continue to lose patience with the instructions.

The advantage of cycling off road on Cannock Chase is that you never see any of the lardarses, er, police anyway.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

HYUFD said:

If large groups of people are sunbathing together then that is a different matter and the police should break them up but again it is the group activity that is the problem, not the sunbathing
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    FPT
    Sandpit said:

Indeed the rules made sense in the past. They belong to the past, which is what I said originally but for some reason Luckyguy1983 objected to that.

The Ten Commandments still stand up pretty well in the modern world, can’t imagine many people disagree with any of them.
    *Raised Hand*

I do. I dislike the 10 Commandments.

People tend to interpret the 10 Commandments in a way that suits them. Or associate it with just the later ones which should be bloody obvious and part of any other moral code too.

I disagree with the First, Second, Third, Fourth and Tenth Commandments. That's half of them.

I consider the Fifth to Ninth to be basic common decency.
  • Options
    theProle said:

FPT

Of the 866 new deaths announced today, 117 occurred on 9 April while 720 took place between 1 April and 8 April.

The remaining 29 deaths occurred in March, including one on March 5.

Doesn't all this make trying to get a trend from the numbers essentially useless? By the time the numbers are definiative enough to plot a trend, we'll be taking about cases infected at least 6 weeks previously, probably more like 2 months.

About 90% of the deaths are within the past five days, and half from the past two days.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353
    edited April 2020
    Since it is Good Friday, some might be interested to watch PBS America Ch 91 Freeview and I think 174 on Sky. at 8.35pm

Its A Melvyn Bragg programme about Willam Tynedale who secretly translated the Bible from Latin to English to enable the masses to read it and was put to death at the stake as a result.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?
    If they are part of the same household then you don't need to respect the two meter rule.
  • Options
    Floater said:

1,417 died in France reported yesterday and they have not yet reported today.

Per head the Netherlands and Belgium are also seeing higher increases in death rates than the UK
  • Options

Since it is Good Friday, some might be interested to watch PBS America Ch 91 Freeview and I think 174 on Sky. at 8.35pm

Its A Melvyn Bragg programme about Willam Tynedale who secretly translated the Bible from Latin to English to enable the masses to read it and was put to death at the stake as a result.

Actually, he was strangled and then his corpse was burned.

But he was pretty awesome. Apart from all the translations and religious stuff, he was from Gloucestershire.
  • Options
    RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?
    If they are part of the same household then you don't need to respect the two meter rule.
    But if they’re in the same household there’s no need for them to fuck while jogging either.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    The greater risk of catching it appears to be in built up areas, with people living in closer proximity. The greater chance of people wanting to go outside to the park (for example) is in built up areas, with people living in closer proximity (use of parks in London is now merely 15% below regular usage). The two appear to be symbiotic. There is also a likely greater risk caused by the pollution experienced in built up areas, through car use etc..

It appears to me that city dwellers are faced with a greater challenge; one that still needs a more disciplined response than is happening. I've lived in cities, it's great because you live closer to things and so on. This is a time when it's a problem, though and in this, at least, the Blitz comparisons seem to hold some weight. The arguments about 'we have to go out because we need space....' etc, appear to be missing the inevitable. continuing to do so multiplies the risk to those living there. It's no wonder some are trying to sneak out to holiday homes and such (so spreading/increasing the risk).
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited April 2020

FPT

Sandpit said:

Indeed the rules made sense in the past. They belong to the past, which is what I said originally but for some reason Luckyguy1983 objected to that.

The Ten Commandments still stand up pretty well in the modern world, can’t imagine many people disagree with any of them.
    *Raised Hand*

People tend to interpret the 10 Commandments in a way that suits them. Or associate it with just the later ones which should be bloody obvious and part of any other moral code too.

I disagree with the First, Second, Third, Fourth and Tenth Commandments. That's half of them.

I am keen that no one covets my slaves.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,391

FPT

Sandpit said:

*Raised Hand*

C-wing just texted me to say Donald Trump won the evangelical vote last time despite boasting of breaking the 10 Commandments.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?
    But if they’re in the same household there’s no need for them to fuck while jogging either.
    No need? None at all? :D
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353
    edited April 2020
    ydoethur said:

But he was pretty awesome. Apart from all the translations and religious stuff, he was from Gloucestershire.
    Thanks that's not what the Times says today (Times 2 page 12)... that said... it says a horrific death at the stake
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    To date the regulation of this has been handled quite satisfactorily at local level. I actually wrote to my MP this week to ask him to do what he can to make sure we don't get unnecessarily poleaxed by a political kneejerk following the parochial London media kneejerk.

Around here compliance has been good to excellent. It may help that being an ex-mining area we have hundreds of acres of country park adjacent to the town in most directions.

Something best handled by local authorities and local police.

Media panics can take a hike.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    ukpaul said:

The greater risk of catching it appears to be in built up areas, with people living in closer proximity. The greater chance of people wanting to go outside to the park (for example) is in built up areas, with people living in closer proximity (use of parks in London is now merely 15% below regular usage). The two appear to be symbiotic. There is also a likely greater risk caused by the pollution experienced in built up areas, through car use etc..

It appears to me that city dwellers are faced with a greater challenge; one that still needs a more disciplined response than is happening. I've lived in cities, it's great because you live closer to things and so on. This is a time when it's a problem, though and in this, at least, the Blitz comparisons seem to hold some weight. The arguments about 'we have to go out because we need space....' etc, appear to be missing the inevitable. continuing to do so multiplies the risk to those living there. It's no wonder some are trying to sneak out to holiday homes and such (so spreading/increasing the risk).

It's ridiculous for people in isolated rural areas to be issued with the same advice as people in big cities. As I wrote yesterday, if this had happened a few decades ago I'm pretty sure different advice would have been issued to people in different areas, and they would have been trusted to follow that advice (and not try to travel to those areas). But in today's world of instant communications, it would cause resentment for people in cities to be able to easily watch HD videos of people in, say, the north of Scotland going about their normal business while they're cooped up in their flats. One of the downsides of the latest technology.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?
    Doesn't comply with social distancing that's for sure.

So are we bending the curve in the U.K yet?
  • Options
    tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?
    There's a gap in the market for a costume that extends in a two metre radius outside the body (maybe big circular clown pants or something). Put in on and leave the house and, voila, you are automatically abiding by the regulations.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    Nigelb said:

(FPT)This is a serious challenge to Mike's conventional wisdom of what determines elections...
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/04/joe-biden-democratic-nominee-why.html
    ...This has been true all along—and perhaps mysteriously, it has worked to Biden’s advantage. While Sanders and Elizabeth Warren supporters were louder, had an enormous online footprint, and advanced arguments and issues that have changed the party, it was Biden voters who turned out in droves in the primary, despite their silence online. This has made the nominee’s victory feel confusing. It demands an explanation that common-sense theories about how political enthusiasm, exposure, and airtime should affect turnout cannot provide. Despite an apparent lack of enthusiastic adherents, an associated lack of funds, underwhelming debate performances, and no clear agenda, Biden floated to victory. The question is why—and can whatever powered him to the top do the same in the general?...

Excellent 9and witty) article. Let's hope it's right.

On topic, I think people generally want clarity. If we're told that X is risky for ourselves and others, we won't do it, and will potentially tick off others or even alert the police if they insist on doing it. But if X is maybe undesirable, but we're not sure, then it all becomes irksome.

I get that AndyJS would rather that everyone would voluntarily be sensible wso no policing was needed. That would be nice, but realistically x% will break the rules, and the 100-x% who were following them are entitled to feel annoyed.
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?
    There's a gap in the market for a costume that extends in a two metre radius outside the body (maybe big circular clown pants or something). Put in on and leave the house and, voila, you are automatically abiding by the regulations.
    Here you go:

https://i.redd.it/k6s8zp5o6wr41.jpg
  • Options
    Alistair said:

FPT

Sandpit said:

*Raised Hand*

I am keen that no one covets my slaves.
    Indeed! Well said.

The idea that a commandment not to covet your neighbours slaves is part of what underpins modern ethics is utterly facetious. Endorsing slavery certainly doesn't underpin mine.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ukpaul said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?
    Here you go:

https://i.redd.it/k6s8zp5o6wr41.jpg
    I’ve bought this to ensure social distancing.

• Options
    RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?

My household is precisely 2 people and a dog...not even a proper dog, a walking accessory called Trotsky.. though she is much loved....

Joggers are spluttering, coughing, wheezing and panting as they heave past you not respecting your space...ban them, ban them now, and ban them forever....and if they carry on, lock them up and put them in that sex offenders prison...
  • Options
    tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?

My household is precisely 2 people and a dog...not even a proper dog, a walking accessory called Trotsky.. though she is much loved....

Joggers are spluttering, coughing, wheezing and panting as they heave past you not respecting your space...ban them, ban them now, and ban them forever....and if they carry on, lock them up and put them in that sex offenders prison...
    You realise that you also can step to one side?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Sandpit said:

Do you really need 40 kilos of sugar in each bag you are carrying home?
  • Options
    MattW said:

To date the regulation of this has been handled quite satisfactorily at local level. I actually wrote to my MP this week to ask him to do what he can to make sure we don't get unnecessarily poleaxed by a political kneejerk following the parochial London media kneejerk.

Around here compliance has been good to excellent. It may help that being an ex-mining area we have hundreds of acres of country park adjacent to the town in most directions.

Something best handled by local authorities and local police.

Media panics can take a hike.

I'm sure your local MP appreciated your letter.....

• Options
    On topic, I’ve biked 200 miles in the last seven days without leaving my house.

The government should provide each household with a cross trainer/treadmill/exercise bike so there’ll be no need to go out for exercise.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Not sure its been commented on but, a sort of bit of good news, it looks as if the Case Fatality Rate(CFR) is 0.37%

https://reason.com/2020/04/09/preliminary-german-study-shows-a-covid-19-infection-fatality-rate-of-about-0-4-percent/

Lots of caveats, it was a big but not massive study, in a German town where everybody has been tested to see hf they have had the virus. 15% of the town has got or has had the virus, so it may change as more people got it, but still a lot lower than had previously been suspected.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    This would work. Victorian revival anyone?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/b1VcI_Io9pM/hqdefault.jpg

EDIT: How can I make photos visible?
  • Options
    RobD said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?

Why should he? If joggers jogged on the road there'd be no problem.
  • Options
    "Schools could reopen in a few weeks as coronavirus restrictions begin to be lifted, Public Health England suggested this morning.

Paul Cosford, the agency’s emeritus medical director, said that easing the lockdown for the young first was being considered as ministers look to set out an exit plan for the coming weeks." (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-lockdown-schools-could-reopen-within-weeks-gcnkhgnkd
  • Options

RobD said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?

Sure, but for those that don't that is always a fall-back option.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Thanks that's not what the Times says today (Times 2 page 12)... that said... it says a horrific death at the stake
    The Times is not what it once was. Heck, it even employs Catherine Nixey. So here is an actual scholar on the subject:

The cold machinery of the law could not be stopped. Tyndale was condemned as a heretic early in August 1536, and probably the same day suffered the public, and ceremonial, degradation from the priesthood: the record of payments to Dufief shows the cost of arranging the elaborate ritual. A greater assembly was summoned for a morning early in October (traditionally the 6th) when in an open space outside Vilvorde Castle a stake, brushwood, and logs were prepared. Tyndale was brought out. A chain was placed round his neck. He gave the cry that Foxe records, 'Lord, open the king of England's eyes' (Foxe, ed. Pratt, 5.127). Tyndale was not burnt alive: as a mark of his distinction as a scholar, he was strangled first, and then his body was burnt.

David Daniell, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
  • Options
    RobD said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?

I do...all the time....if I'm brave I push it to the wire and walk right at them to see if they budge..and they don't...and then I have to shout at them as they run past to watch their difference after I've held my breath..they are fucking, fuckers...I say that with all due respect....
  • Options
    tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?

I do...all the time....if I'm brave I push it to the wire and walk right at them to see if they budge..and they don't...and then I have to shout at them as they run narrowly past to watch their difference after I've held my breath (of course)..they are fucking, fuckers...I say that with all due respect....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Schools could reopen in a few weeks as coronavirus restrictions begin to be lifted, Public Health England suggested this morning.

Paul Cosford, the agency’s emeritus medical director, said that easing the lockdown for the young first was being considered as ministers look to set out an exit plan for the coming weeks." (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-lockdown-schools-could-reopen-within-weeks-gcnkhgnkd

Not happening. Headteachers have suggested mid to late June.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Oh good. Civil war between teachers and doctors.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?

Not if the joggers are coming up to you from behind. If you're overtaking someone it should be on you to move around the person you are overtaking.

If I want to when I'm driving I don't stay in the same lane as the vehicle I'm overtaking.
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

Andy_JS said:

Headteachers will do what they are told by people who understand public health better than they do.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

RobD said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?

Quite joggers and bloody cyclists heaving away with big breathes. Have these people no fucking brains
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The Times is not what it once was. Heck, it even employs Catherine Nixey. So here is an actual scholar on the subject:

The cold machinery of the law could not be stopped. Tyndale was condemned as a heretic early in August 1536, and probably the same day suffered the public, and ceremonial, degradation from the priesthood: the record of payments to Dufief shows the cost of arranging the elaborate ritual. A greater assembly was summoned for a morning early in October (traditionally the 6th) when in an open space outside Vilvorde Castle a stake, brushwood, and logs were prepared. Tyndale was brought out. A chain was placed round his neck. He gave the cry that Foxe records, 'Lord, open the king of England's eyes' (Foxe, ed. Pratt, 5.127). Tyndale was not burnt alive: as a mark of his distinction as a scholar, he was strangled first, and then his body was burnt.

Scholars don't enjoy such deference any more, alas.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    ydoethur said:

I thought they did that (strangling) as a favour so that the victim wouldn't feel the pain of being burnt?
  • Options

ukpaul said:

Andy_JS said:

Headteachers will do what they are told by people who understand public health better than they do.
    I can only say that that’s an incredibly optimistic assessment of the likely response of headteachers to being told other people know better than them.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

I thought they did that (strangling) as a favour so that the victim wouldn't feel the pain of being burnt?
    It was in recognition that he was a distinguished scholar, so probably yes, not that I am an expert on Tyndale.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?

Not if the joggers are coming up to you from behind. If you're overtaking someone it should be on you to move around the person you are overtaking.

If I want to when I'm driving I don't stay in the same lane as the vehicle I'm overtaking.
    Fair enough, but I thought the risk of catching it would be higher if they are coming towards you. Having the virus on the back of your head shouldn't be as bad as having it on your face. By either party stepping to one side, the risk is reduced.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    welshowl said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?

Quite joggers and bloody cyclists heaving away with big breathes. Have these people no fucking brains
    At least cyclists normally have the decency to use the roads. Children on a bike using the pavement I can excuse but juoggers thinking its appropriate at the moment to use the pavement for their jogging? Its madness.

The pavement should be reserved for children, pets and adults walking only during this pandemic.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

Tyndale used the Greek and Hebrew texts in addition to the (later and less accurate) Latin ones.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

The government should provide each household with a cross trainer/treadmill/exercise bike so there’ll be no need to go out for exercise.

They could link them up to the national grid.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scholars don't enjoy such deference any more, alas.
    Ummm...speaking as a scholar I’m quite happy to pass on any deference that leads to me being garrotted and then publicly cremated.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

They could link them up to the national grid.
    Why do you want to electrocute TSE?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Andy_JS said:

That is just not going to fly.....they are obviously not using any behavioural psychology analysis here...

Perhaps regions might start initially....where there is evidence of no community transmission...

Or using technology...like an App

You have to make people feel safe before they venture back out....

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855

That's exactly where I am, Richard, though I still have a degree of man-made noise but it is the sound of children playing in the neighbouring gardens rather than hip-hop music blasting from car stereos. The air is clearer and cleaner and the A406 much quieter.

I don't miss the near 2 hour commute or the processed ready meals. I'm sleeping better, eating better and losing some of the weight my lifestyle has helped me to add. There's of course the residual anxiety of infection but life is adapting to the new regimen of more hand washing and greater care.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

ukpaul said:

Andy_JS said:

They won't have enough staff (plenty are older), half of students will stay away (based on pre-lockdown behaviour), independent schools have already reduced fees commensurate with online learning for the next term, non essential staff are furloughed or in some cases have already been let go etc. It is headteachers themselves who are suggesting two or three weeks before the summer holidays, just as a way of allowing those students who can a chance to do so.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?

Fair enough, but I thought the risk of catching it would be higher if they are coming towards you. Having the virus on the back of your head shouldn't be as bad as having it on your face. By either party stepping to one side, the risk is reduced.
    Actually there's evidence that having a jogger running ahead of you is dangerous too since what they're exhaling while running hovers in the air more and then you walk through it catching it in their slipstream.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/coronavirus-social-distancing-walking-running-cyclists-advice-a9457431.html

If joggers only run on roads then its cars that are in their slipstream and they ought to be more than 2 metres apart!
  • Options
    edited April 2020

welshowl said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?

At least cyclists normally have the decency to use the roads. Children on a bike using the pavement I can excuse but juoggers thinking its appropriate at the moment to use the pavement for their jogging? Its madness.

The pavement should be reserved for children, pets and adults walking only during this pandemic.
    Slightly concerned that all these furious PBers, welsh-howl, tyson etc, will give themselves coronaries. Perhaps they need to take up cycling for their health - cyclists tend to live longer.

One of the big problems we have in the UK is that the authorities think that cyclists should be encouraged to cycle on pavements through shared pathways, rather than make proper investment in proper segregated infrastructure.

Round here all the defined cycle paths seem to have anticycling pinch points on them. There are literally hundreds of them just in my LA area.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?

Actually there's evidence that having a jogger running ahead of you is dangerous too since what they're exhaling while running hovers in the air more and then you walk through it catching it in their slipstream.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/coronavirus-social-distancing-walking-running-cyclists-advice-a9457431.html

If joggers only run on roads then its cars that are in their slipstream and they ought to be more than 2 metres apart!
    Interesting, if counterintuitive. This could all be solved if people were just considerate, but I will concede that is not always the case!
  • Options

welshowl said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?

Try living in a city like Oxford where the bike lobby is very active in seeking to assert their dominance over the public realm.

They demand the right to go where they like, when they like and in whatever way they like. They don't care about pavements, having appropriate lights/protective equipment. They love to use their phones whilst cycling.

And everything that happens to them is the fault of the evil car drivers. Not their own negligence and arrogance.

Personally I believe all cyclists should have to pass a basic proficiency test and be required to have insurance.

If they want enhanced provision for cycling then that should come at the price of actually having to abide by basic rules. Far too many of them would find that a huge struggle.
  • Options

ukpaul said:

Andy_JS said:

Tell me how you get middle aged teachers returning en masse to schools after you have terrified them to stay at home...especially if they are used as some kind of road test...

Tell me how that one works?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

How long do you you think they would be on their own? Within two hours the park would be packed With people doing the same thing, the kids would organize a footy game and the adults would pool their booze.
  • Options

welshowl said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?

Try living in a city like Oxford where the bike lobby is very active in seeking to assert their dominance over the public realm.

They demand the right to go where they like, when they like and in whatever way they like. They don't care about pavements, having appropriate lights/protective equipment. They love to use their phones whilst cycling.

And everything that happens to them is the fault of the evil car drivers. Not their own negligence and arrogance.

Personally I believe all cyclists should have to pass a basic proficiency test and be required to have insurance.

If they want enhanced provision for cycling then that should come at the price of actually having to abide by basic rules. Far too many of them would find that a huge struggle.
    Why should the occasional cyclist have to pay the price of the behaviour of the semi-professional type of cyclist? I hate this attitude that says "all" of a group of people have to be subjected to something. Of course, in today's world it always has to be "all" because otherwise there would be cries of "discrimination" and "unfairness".
  • Options

welshowl said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?

In the North cyclists aren't such a nuisance but those that do seem to think that the Highway Code doesn't apply to them. Amount of accidents I've nearly been in due to idiotic cyclists - a particular bugbear is the idiots who think a red light doesn't apply to bikes.
  • Options
    stodge said:

That's exactly where I am, Richard, though I still have a degree of man-made noise but it is the sound of children playing in the neighbouring gardens rather than hip-hop music blasting from car stereos. The air is clearer and cleaner and the A406 much quieter.

I don't miss the near 2 hour commute or the processed ready meals. I'm sleeping better, eating better and losing some of the weight my lifestyle has helped me to add. There's of course the residual anxiety of infection but life is adapting to the new regimen of more hand washing and greater care.
    Yes, I’d wish it gone tomorrow of course, but I’m 4 pounds lighter in three weeks, sleeping like a baby, number of steps per day up a lot, and the garden looks great.
    You try to make the best of a crap situation in the best way you can I guess.
  • Options
    I have to get this off my conscience....
    I am now doing 2 separate bags for friends self isolating with symptoms....I had some eggs changed because 1 had broken..the shop assistant sneezed on my eggs when he was returning with a new box..and I put that in my friend's bag...

I'm just getting that one off my chest....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    As someone who cycles and jogs a bit, it is distressing that while cyclers and joggers do get some unearned crap, they do still earn plenty of the crap they get. Something about both activities that turns those doing the activity and those interacting with them into arseholes.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

Ah so you live in Oxford. Dreaming spires and all that. Excellent.
  • Options
    tyson said:

I have to get this off my conscience....
    I am now doing 2 separate bags for friends self isolating with symptoms....I had some eggs changed because 1 had broken..the shop assistant sneezed on my eggs when he was returning with a new box..and I put that in my friend's bag...

I'm just getting that one off my chest....

I wipe my eggs with surgical spirit, like everything else that comes through the door. Can you do that?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Testing a picture of what great social distancing attire looks like -

EDIT: Success! Okay, I've got this now.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Andy_JS said:

Schools should reopen directly after the Easter holiday.

At this stage there is no hope or point in containing it, a vaccine is 14 months off if not more. its just a case of does it stop when we have a critical mass (61%) of people who have infected, removed and immune.

do we want that 61% spreed evenly across the age range or higher in the age range best able to resist it (Yong people) and therefor lower in the older and more vonrable are range?

• Options

welshowl said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

tyson said:

Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Does it need a ban ?

A proficiency test would be good, and possibly burning at the stake for riding about in the winter gloom with no lights on. I did think of hanging drawing and quartering as being a suitably gruesome for these numpties, but actually the flames might drive home the point that a bit of visibility might, you know, help the rest of us see them.

Seems a fair and balanced proposal to me.
This discussion has been closed.