Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A dangerous vacuum or duality: A wing and a prayer isn’t good

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited April 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A dangerous vacuum or duality: A wing and a prayer isn’t good enough when the PM’s ill

To talk of death lightly in current circumstances might well seem not only morbid but tasteless. In the midst of a pandemic – one hitting Britain almost as hard as anywhere – leaving many thousands of people bereaved, we obviously need to be sensitive to those considerations.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,026
    "We must leave this all-powerful superstate because it's not an all-powerful superstate."
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    What are the PM's powers that cannot be exercised by Cabinet or Parliament, managed by an "acting PM" designated by the Cabinet.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Good video on why we are still only at about ~20k tests a day...its all done manually, rather than automated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLffvFdGYu8
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    mwadams said:

What are the PM's powers that cannot be exercised by Cabinet or Parliament, managed by an "acting PM" designated by the Cabinet.

(By which I mean - yes, parties need a mechanism to ensure that the PM's soft power is exercised appropriately when the PM is incapacitated, but what are the constitutional elements that would also need to be covered?)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I agree with this entirely, save the last paragraph. It's not that rare for a Prime Minister to be seriously ill in office. Since 1900 it happened in 1908, 1923, 1941, 1953 and 1957, as well as this year. That's quite regularly enough to have provisions for such circumstances.

And it has mattered this time round. Without any minister able to exert the authority required to make such decisions, the decision what to do about the current lockdown has been deferred rather than taken. That limbo is not good enough at such a moment.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

"We must leave this all-powerful superstate because it's not an all-powerful superstate."
    Who's leaving now - Italy?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,233

To which the United States of Europe advocates say - "The answer is more Europe"

A pan European health service will be back at the top of the agenda, I reckon.
  • Options
    US closes all schools for the rest of the academic year
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    The one beneficiary of the power vacuum is Robert Jenrick who cannot be sacked because there is no-one to sack him. Perhaps he might still feel enough shame to resign, if the Morning Star Telegraph is right in its demolition of Jenrick's claim that he is now in his main home (since he and his wife work in London, and his children go to school in London) but then who could appoint a replacement?
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/04/10/robert-jenrick-pressure-quit-claim-mansion-family-home-called/
  • Options

Good video on why we are still only at about ~20k tests a day...its all done manually, rather than automated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLffvFdGYu8

It is surprisingly hard to automate good lab work.

Which why many knew that - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theranos - was bullshit from day one.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    When I saw the header I immediately thought of Mendelssohn.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7HM94qVmq-4
    Eton College Chappel Choir I found on UTube.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I dont recall anyone saying it was all powerful

That sounds like a wet dream for you TBH
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Not sure that is why most people wanted to leave it tbf. They just wanted to go it alone. Arguably the EU would be better if it was closer to a USE. for me living in Spain it would make more sense. However, I can fully understand why people in the UK didn't like it as it was or in the direction t seemed to be heading. None of that alters the fact that it has had, to put it mildly, a very bad pandemic. Rehashing the Brexit argument is supremely irrelevant to that grim reality for those of us living in the Mediterranean countries now. To be frank the EU needs to either show much more solidarity or ..... well.
  • Options

To which the United States of Europe advocates say - "The answer is more Europe"

I have never really understood why we do not have one. It would make such good sense.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    felix said:

I have never really understood why we do not have one. It would make such good sense.
    Depends if you are fine funding the health care system in other countries or not.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

(By which I mean - yes, parties need a mechanism to ensure that the PM's soft power is exercised appropriately when the PM is incapacitated, but what are the constitutional elements that would also need to be covered?)
    The office of Prime Minister was never established by statute - legal authority is derived primarily from ex officio post of First Lord of the Treasury he/she also holds. The Royal Prerogative is, by convention, exercised by the Monarch on the advice of he on the advice of the Prime Minister and Her Majesty's Governmen. The presidentialisation thesis has gained a lot of ground since Blair but, even today, the powers that legally cannot, rather than by convention should not, be exercised other than by a Prime Minister must be vanishingy small. I cannot think of any. If the Cabinet, during the incapacity of a Prime Minister, unanimousy asked the Monarch to exercise the Royal Prerogative a certain way, I cannot see her refusing. The fluid way the British Constitution evolves means that we may see a gradual shift back to Cabinet responsibility if the Prime Minister is incapacitated for a significant period - one of the reasons the post became as important as it is the fact that George I couldn't exercise much day to day executive power by reason of unpopularity and not speaking much English at the start of his reign, although the evidence is that it improved by the end..
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    felix said:

I've never understood why the NHS didn't routinely use spare capacity in EU hospitals. Or, indeed, routinely use capacity round the UK. If I need an operation I am quite happy to have it in Leeds or Budapest rather than Frimley Park.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited April 2020
    Simon Jenkins says the EU is terrible.

He's brill and so right!

Simon Jenkins says Scottish independence is inevitable.

*moves hurriedly on averting eyes*
  • Options
    felix said:

Not sure that is why most people wanted to leave it tbf. They just wanted to go it alone. Arguably the EU would be better if it was closer to a USE. for me living in Spain it would make more sense. However, I can fully understand why people in the UK didn't like it as it was or in the direction t seemed to be heading. None of that alters the fact that it has had, to put it mildly, a very bad pandemic. Rehashing the Brexit argument is supremely irrelevant to that grim reality for those of us living in the Mediterranean countries now. To be frank the EU needs to either show much more solidarity or ..... well.
    One problem is that the EEC/EU went a bit mad in the 1990s and tried to do about a century of economic integration in a decade.

So all the countries in Europe got shovelled into a single currency on the promise that they would all turn into little Germanies - but not just yet.

The problem was that the whole societal structure in many countries was at odds with such changes. In Greece, for example, this would mean tearing down a great many conventions about how things are done. Hence fierce resistance to such changes and the politicians not actually changing anything.

My approach would have been a program of economic integration, probably taking many decades, before a single currency. How much and how fast would depend on the scale of the transfer payments that would have been acceptable from the rich countries. The present transfer payments do not justify a single currency area.
  • Options
    felix said:

None of that alters the fact that it has had, to put it mildly, a very bad pandemic. Rehashing the Brexit argument is supremely irrelevant to that grim reality for those of us living in the Mediterranean countries now. To be frank the EU needs to either show much more solidarity or ..... well.

Where has had a good pandemic? How would being outside the EU help Spain or Italy?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    4.00 pm Press Conference - Pritti Patel and a full supporting cast.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMasonBBC/status/1248974136811999232
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    edited April 2020
    Nice film of Jair Bolsonaro wiping his nose on the back of his hand immediately before shaking hands with an elderly woman:
    https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/world/lockdown-defying-brazilian-president-wipes-his-nose-before-shaking-hands-elderly-woman
  • Options

He's brill!

Can you show where I have said Simon Jenkins is brill

And don't shoot the messenger
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

This is her Theresa May at the Police Federation moment.
  • Options

felix said:

None of that alters the fact that it has had, to put it mildly, a very bad pandemic. Rehashing the Brexit argument is supremely irrelevant to that grim reality for those of us living in the Mediterranean countries now. To be frank the EU needs to either show much more solidarity or ..... well.

Where has had a good pandemic? How would being outside the EU help Spain or Italy?
    But the whole point is that they are supposed to help Spain and Italy, the clue is in the name, European Union
  • Options
    edited April 2020

felix said:

I've never understood why the NHS didn't routinely use spare capacity in EU hospitals. Or, indeed, routinely use capacity round the UK. If I need an operation I am quite happy to have it in Leeds or Budapest rather than Frimley Park.
    Interesting that you don't know.

All health care systems ration. The American system, famously rations on wealth. In the UK - as in much of Europe, we ration in time and resources.

Back when Blair was in power (IIRC) there was a moment when some EU judges ruled that *timely* healthcare was a human right. Hence the right for those waiting too long for an operation (say) to go to France, and charge it back the UK.

This was rapidly stopped by the EU governments. It would have meant, in effect, unlimited health care across the continent.

There was an interesting wrinkle in the UK case. Under EU law, there was no differentiation between private and public hospital provision. If you went to a hospital in France for your op, it could be public or private. Also under EU law, you would have the same right in UK... So the government was faced with the prospect of a flood of patients going to BUPA - and having their ops paid for under the NHS budget.

A massive privatisation of the NHS.....
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242

felix said:

One problem is that the EEC/EU went a bit mad in the 1990s and tried to do about a century of economic integration in a decade.

So all the countries in Europe got shovelled into a single currency on the promise that they would all turn into little Germanies - but not just yet.

The problem was that the whole societal structure in many countries was at odds with such changes. In Greece, for example, this would mean tearing down a great many conventions about how things are done. Hence fierce resistance to such changes and the politicians not actually changing anything.

My approach would have been a program of economic integration, probably taking many decades, before a single currency. How much and how fast would depend on the scale of the transfer payments that would have been acceptable from the rich countries. The present transfer payments do not justify a single currency area.
    Worse is there is no practical escape mechanism from this flawed currency. Countries which should never have joined, now find they cannot leave without risking financial armageddon, as @rcs1000 has iirc previously discussed.
  • Options
    RobD said:

felix said:

Depends if you are fine funding the health care system in other countries or not.
    Clearly - just as in the UK I was fine with funding all the nations. It's not hard.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,590

felix said:

All health care systems ration. The American system, famously rations on wealth. In the UK - as in much of Europe, we ration in time.

Back when Blair was in power (IIRC) there was a moment when some EU judges ruled that *timely* healthcare was a human right. Hence the right for those waiting too long for an operation (say) to go to France, and charge it back the UK.

This was rapidly stopped by the EU governments. It would have meant, in effect, unlimited health care across the continent.

There was an interesting wrinkle in the UK case. Under EU law, there was no differentiation between private and public hospital provision. If you went to a hospital in France for your op, it could be public or private. Also under EU law, you would have the same right in UK... So the government was faced with the prospect of a flood of patients going to BUPA - and having their ops paid for under the NHS budget.

There is of course no such thing as a single UK NHS (despite Tory obfuscation in the form of the renaming of the Scottish Health Service to 'NHS' while there was still a Conservative satrap in St Andrew's House). But we had people in England being treated in Scottish hospitals and vice versa, quite recently in the case of a relative of mine. Not obvious to me why a Northumbrian beign treated in Melrose is OK but a Kent person cannot be treated in Calais.
  • Options

felix said:

They could print the money themselves which they currently have to borrow under restrictions. I'd have preferred Coronabonds but they are not on offer. But again you avoid the point that the EU could be making life much easier right now for member states that are suffering greatly. The fact that it isn't is a failure. Why on earth do you need to pretend it is anything other?
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

They could print the money themselves which they currently have to borrow under restrictions. I'd have preferred Coronabonds but they are not on offer. But again you avoid the point that the EU could be making life much easier right now for member states that are suffering greatly. The fact that it isn't is a failure. Why on earth do you need to pretend it is anything other?
    The EU is sacrosanct and beyond any form of criticism to some.

Indeed if you are employed by them you cannot be critical
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

In all seriousness, it's a bit of a tightrope for her.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

He's brill and so right!

Remarkable how everything always pivots on Scotland......
  • Options
    felix said:

RobD said:

felix said:

Clearly - just as in the UK I was fine with funding all the nations. It's not hard.
    I doubt that is a view shared with many, to be honest.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

felix said:

All health care systems ration. The American system, famously rations on wealth. In the UK - as in much of Europe, we ration in time.

There is of course no such thing as a single UK NHS (despite Tory obfuscation in the form of the renaming of the Scottish Health Service to 'NHS' while there was still a Conservative satrap in St Andrew's House). But we had people in England being treated in Scottish hospitals and vice versa, quite recently in the case of a relative of mine. Not obvious to me why a Northumbrian beign treated in Melrose is OK but a Kent person cannot be treated in Calais.
    Northumbrian being treated in Melrose within the UK is not remotely the same as someone from Kent being treated in Calais in France
  • Options
    Starmer surge.

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1248980448988012548

Can't access all the small print on their site.
  • Options

He's brill and so right!

Says the man who excited himself that the UK put up a temporary hospital a day quicker than China.
  • Options
    RobD said:

felix said:

RobD said:

felix said:

What - you don't agree with the UK funding a health service across its nations?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    It's like a bad David Brent comment.

Theres good news and bad news on the Coronavirus front from the BBC.

The bad news is more than 900 new deaths despite the BH lag the good news "Boris is playing Sudoku".
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

obvious polling is obvious.

Media having a poor time of it, as has been increasingly obvious
  • Options

Carnyx said:

felix said:

Northumbrian being treated in Melrose within the UK is not remotely the same as someone from Kent being treated in Calais in France
    Different countries, different funding, different health services.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    dr_spyn said:

Starmer surge.

obvious polling is obvious.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

He's brill and so right!

Says the man who excited himself that the UK put up a temporary hospital a day quicker than China.
    Jeez, if that is your measure of excitement, I pity your significant other.....
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    DougSeal said:

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

The office of Prime Minister was never established by statute - legal authority is derived primarily from ex officio post of First Lord of the Treasury he/she also holds. The Royal Prerogative is, by convention, exercised by the Monarch on the advice of he on the advice of the Prime Minister and Her Majesty's Governmen. The presidentialisation thesis has gained a lot of ground since Blair but, even today, the powers that legally cannot, rather than by convention should not, be exercised other than by a Prime Minister must be vanishingy small. I cannot think of any. If the Cabinet, during the incapacity of a Prime Minister, unanimousy asked the Monarch to exercise the Royal Prerogative a certain way, I cannot see her refusing. The fluid way the British Constitution evolves means that we may see a gradual shift back to Cabinet responsibility if the Prime Minister is incapacitated for a significant period - one of the reasons the post became as important as it is the fact that George I couldn't exercise much day to day executive power by reason of unpopularity and not speaking much English at the start of his reign, although the evidence is that it improved by the end..
    The Prime Minister is not ex officio First Lord of the Treasury. It’s just that since 1902 they’ve always been the same person.

The Prime Minister is whoever the Monarch asks to form an administration and chair the Cabinet. No other qualification is needed. That also means, however, that if the Monarch asks someone else to chair the cabinet, they would have in effect the powers of a PM.

However, I cannot imagine that any decision on something truly drastic (e.g. a declaration of war) would not be taken by the cabinet as a whole.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

felix said:

There is a level of co-operation and common structures that makes it fair and rational to talk of a UK NHS - as a rather federalised set of entities.

As to the question of international healthcare provision - I think I explained above that I would upset the current Way Things Are done.

Do you wish to be known as Not A Team Player?
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649

dr_spyn said:

The question is, will she toe the collective line or will she say the most reactionary thing she can think of when asked her opinion?
  • Options

The bad news is more than 900 new deaths despite the BH lag the good news "Boris is playing Sudoku".

They're keeping BJ back to making and painting model buses out of wine boxes in reserve.
  • Options

I fear you allow your political bias too much to cloud your views. There are fewer deaths than yesterday. Better than the other way around. The UK is probably moving through the peak period right now. The time it is most critical that people focus on ensuring the lockdown sacrifices are made worthwhile by sticking with it.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,825

The EU is sacrosanct and beyond any form of criticism to some.

Indeed if you are employed by them you cannot be critical

That's true of a number of organisations of course.

As far as the EU is concerned, if one of the pre-requisites of slowing the infection is reducing travel, closing borders to impede that travel isn't the worst idea I've ever heard and closing them to people doesn't mean closing them to goods.

In the box of home delivered food we got last Monday from a British wholesaler, the chicken was from Holland - did I care? No. Do I demand all goods should be British? No - I'm simply happy to have the food and relieved some form of international trade and commerce is continuing.

Most borders are still open for trade and goods are still flowing (mercifully). In terms of Government expenditure, all are suffering and going to suffer. The economic impacts are going to be severe - we know that - but I'd rather deal with that and be alive.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

felix said:

There is a level of co-operation and common structures that makes it fair and rational to talk of a UK NHS - as a rather federalised set of entities.

As to the question of international healthcare provision - I think I explained above that I would upset the current Way Things Are done.

Fair enough - there are such things as NICE. And I have no ojbection to people being treated at the best specialist centres, or the nearest ones - it's being paid for and (in normal times) nobody is being deprived. But the health services are fundamentally separate at a managerial and financial level. There is no union in that sense. The division goes right to the top of the various governments, to the level where they decide how to spend their money within their overall budgets.

And that is not different from the European situation - common things like drugs testing but totally separate when ti comes to funding.

So I cannot understand why it is somehow acceptable to send an English patient to Scotland but not to France - the logic is similar in both cases.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    https://unitedwestream.co.uk

Live streaming Fac51 and reminiscing the Hacienda.....

Those were the days...when you paid 20notes for an E
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    For those using the Covid-19 symptom tracker app - results:

https://covid.joinzoe.com/data
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    OMG it's Patel fronting the presser!

The notorious "smirk" will have to be suppressed somehow.
  • Options
    felix said:

I fear you allow your political bias too much to cloud your views. There are fewer deaths than yesterday. Better than the other way around. The UK is probably moving through the peak period right now. The time it is most critical that people focus on ensuring the lockdown sacrifices are made worthwhile by sticking with it.
    Todays numbers are terrible.

It's for a BH day look back at weekend drops would have expected same effect on a BH.

Weekend numbers for last couple of weeks have shown a circa 20% lag.

You are right that we should be at or close to peak on new numbers infected. I fear we are not there yet on deaths peak. I think we will top 1000 new deaths next Wednesday.i really hope I am wrong.

It's not about ones politics it's about ending up with most deaths iof any country in Europe, an honour I fear the UK may hold by this time next month.
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

dr_spyn said:

The question is, will she toe the collective line or will she say the most reactionary thing she can think of when asked her opinion?
    But what is the collective line? Is it that the rules are important but the jackboot tendency among the rozzers need to rein it in a tad, or will she be foursquare behind rifling through people's shopping bags?
  • Options
    A hook and eye, helps stop this, unless it is a coordinated plot by Labour politicians to get noticed again.

https://twitter.com/tombarton/status/1248984628234539009
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    Regarding Italy and the EU, the problem is (and has always been) a stark divergence in consequences from leaving.

The elderly may not have jobs, but thanks to being in the Eurozone, their savings are secure. They have been winners.

The young, on the other hand, don't have jobs because Italy's economic model doesn't really work in the Eurozone. And governments (successive) have not done anything to change the Italian model, and have also lied to the people about why it doesn't work.

In Italy, you get elected by promising the old that their savings won't get hit by leaving the Eurozone. And you promise the young, that you'll stand-up to the EU and make them change their rules, so Italy can go back to its old ways.

Italy has always been faced with three choices -

1. Leave the Eurozone, take the hit to savings, and allow the old Italian economic growth model to work again. (Albeit, this doesn't solve the major demographics issues, but it's better than here.)

2. Stay in the Eurozone, but dramatically liberalise the labour market and change the laws to make company bankrupcies easier, and to allow banks to collect on debts. Basically, do the Thatcherite revolution in Italy.

3. Economic stagnation and growing anger at the political class for allowing this to happen.

For the last twenty years, the Italians have chosen option 3. They would be well advised to choose one of the first two.
  • Options
    RobD said:

felix said:

RobD said:

felix said:

The major problem - and one that I used to think might be triggered for the UK to leave the EU - is the funding model.

Because most of Europe mixes public and private together, any such unified system would involve treating private hospitals just as public. Given that and under EU market rules, it would not just mean UK patients getting their operation in Calais. It would mean that BUPA would be able to do ops at a patients request and charge the NHS for them.

I am quite sure that such an outcome would meat with total opposition from a very substantial number of people - it would amount to massive privatisation.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918

He's brill and so right!

I really, really don't like Simon Jenkins. But on this occasion he is right in both those comments.
  • Options

He's brill and so right!

Jeez, if that is your measure of excitement, I pity your significant other.....
    Hey, I wasn't saying that was your top note excitement. I know there would need to be more BJ for you glassy eyed devotees.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    edited April 2020
    Good article, though with a fast-moving pandemic the risk is that a series of deputies go down in turn. For that matter, we need some contingency planning in case the next pandemic is worse and a whole bunch of Cabinet Ministers fall ill at the same time as the PM.

On a lighter note, thanks for the entertaining responses to my wine-and-omelette exploration. Tomorrow, I'm considering cooking pasta, also for the first time. I've got some "artisan Tortaglione" from Sainsbury (spirally things) which I bought when bargaining for 2-week isolation (all the cheap pasta had been panic-bought, but anyway I thought that pasta virginity should be broken with some good stuff), and some tomato sauce. Just boil them, right? There are rather a lot of them, I wonder if they'll keep if I eat half? (Where is Cyclefree?)

The wine, by the way, is Politically Correct. Given to me by a leftie friend, it's 19 Crimes red wine from Australia, based on a riot in 1904 against a rum tax. The rebels were punished with a variety of trumped-up charges, and with each bottle you can find one of the crimes inscribed on the cork. I have "Assault with attempt to rob". It's very good. (The wine, not the assault.)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    This sounds alarming, but should be reassuring. Covid-19 takes 20-25 days to kill victims. The paper reckons that 7m Americans were infected from March 8th to 14th, and official data show 7,000 deaths three weeks later. The resulting fatality rate is 0.1%, similar to that of flu. That is amazingly low, just a tenth of some other estimates. Perhaps it is just wrong, possibly because the death toll has been under-reported. Perhaps, though, New York’s hospitals are overflowing because the virus is so contagious that it has crammed the equivalent of a year’s worth of flu cases into one week

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/04/11/why-a-study-showing-that-covid-19-is-everywhere-is-good-news
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

Fair enough - there are such things as NICE. And I have no ojbection to people being treated at the best specialist centres, or the nearest ones - it's being paid for and (in normal times) nobody is being deprived. But the health services are fundamentally separate at a managerial and financial level. There is no union in that sense. The division goes right to the top of the various governments, to the level where they decide how to spend their money within their overall budgets.

And that is not different from the European situation - common things like drugs testing but totally separate when ti comes to funding.

So I cannot understand why it is somehow acceptable to send an English patient to Scotland but not to France - the logic is similar in both cases.
    You want to use logic in public policy? What next? Sccccccience??!!??!!!!

You'll be saying that the man who buys ammunition for the British army should know something about ammunition, next.....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

He's brill and so right!

I really, really don't like Simon Jenkins. But on this occasion he is right in both those comments.
    Any particular reason? I don't always agree with him, but I tend to find has thought about the subject he is writing about.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I've come to the conclusion that all of the lobby journalists need to be taken out the back and shot. They've allowed the government to get away with a middling to poor response to the virus. The level of scrutiny has been absolutely shocking, the obsession with the Westminster stories on who has the launch codes is a complete waste of everyone's time and we're still behind on testing and PPE provision.

I'm not saying either of this issues is easy to solve, they aren't. However, the lack of any kind of hard questioning has basically let the government off the hook on both while there are doctors and nurses putting themselves at risk all day every day. The lack of testing available for NHS staff means there are frontline staff working themselves to death right now and no one is taking responsibility for that. It's just not good enough.

It's almost as though ministers think that we won't notice if they are able to keep quiet enough about it, but I have friends and family on the front line. Loads of people do, the stories are absolutely shocking at the moment. Any other profession would have gone on strike by now over the working conditions being imposed by the government.

Overall my rating of the government response had gone from a B- to a D, no longer a passing grade. The willful endangerment of our frontline NHS staff is, IMO, beyond the pale and both Hancock needs to pay the price. Boris has serious questions to answer as well, so do all of the members of SAGE who advised the government to allow sporting and other major gatherings to take place (Cheltenham, football matches etc...) knowing that it could cause a huge spike in cases well before we would have the testing capacity and PPE provision available to give us a way out of this mess.

I have no doubt that any other party/government would have taken exactly the same path, this isn't a party question, the government is just unlucky in that they had to deal with this mess, but bad luck isn't an excuse for bad decisions.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    Here's a good piece on South Korea's response

https://youtu.be/BE-cA4UK07c
  • Options
    edited April 2020

What study is that based on? It suggests that it is more prevalent in the North and whole swathes of the south have much less. Looking at hospital admissions that doesn't look particularly the case (although, the north west, north east and Yorkshire do appear to have shot up over the last few days as per the government figures). Just taking one example, Hartlepool is way down on patient numbers but is shown as being at 4.26% on that map.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    The Deputy PM should just take over from the PM when they are incapacitated as they effectively do when the PM is on holiday. The Deputy PM should also be a post enshrined in law.

After all in the US Vice President Bush Snr assumed the powers of the Presidency when President Reagan was undergoing surgery
  • Options
    Priti Patel leading today's press conference at Downing Street as Home Secretary
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

Different countries, different funding, different health services.
    Scotland is part of the United Kingdom until and unless it becomes independent
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited April 2020
    Priti obviously innumerate - she can't read out a 6 didit number correctly (or even nearly correctly).
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

What study is that based on? It suggests that it is more prevalent in the North and whole swathes of the south have much less. Looking at hospital admissions that doesn't look particularly the case (although, the north west, north east and Yorkshire do appear to have shot up over the last few days as per the government figures). Just taking one example, Hartlepool is way down on patient numbers but is shown as being at 4.26% on that map.
    It's based on self reporting via a voluntarily downloaded app on mobile phones.

So you have massive issues of self selection, sample biases etc.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    tlg86 said:

He's brill and so right!

Any particular reason? I don't always agree with him, but I tend to find has thought about the subject he is writing about.
    Of course Jenkins is right to say

"the EU is not a true political union, like the United States or Russia or even the United Kingdom"

who on earth ever thought it was?

What the coronavirus shows is that the single currency was not properly thought through. But we knew that already.

and as for
    "Nation states have been forced back (...) on their own own health resources"
    that just shows what an ignoramus Jenkins often is. The EU has never been responsible for running nation states health systems.

Pretty rubbish article.

• Options
    MikeL said:

Priti obviously innumerate - she can't read out a 6 didit number correctly (or even nearly correctly).

No wonder the immigration target was dropped. ;)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Third trip out of the day - if anyone wants to volunteer to pick shit for a couple of hour in Derbyshire they're more than welcome ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    dr_spyn said:

Starmer surge.

Starmer has a net positive rating of +50 to Corbyn's -54 in the poll though (albeit only +21% including Don't Knows) but his only gains so far seem to be from the LDs in terms of voting intention.

Starmer most popular with younger voters, voters in London and the West Midlands and middle class ABC1 voters and graduates.

Starmer least popular though with working class C2DE voters and those without qualifications
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

You'll be saying that the man who buys ammunition for the British army should know something about ammunition, next.....
    It would be fine if the patient speaks fluent French
  • Options

ukpaul said:

It's based on self reporting via a voluntarily downloaded app on mobile phones.

So you have massive issues of self selection, sample biases etc.
    Ah, okay, thanks.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Priti making up for not being asked before by talking longer than the rest put together.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    HYUFD said:

Priti Patel leading today's press conference at Downing Street as Home Secretary

Yes. She's very nervous but thus far is holding up OK.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

It is not particularly hard to find an English speaking doctor in most countries. Something to do with English being the second language of the world, probably.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

3. Economic stagnation and growing anger at the political class for allowing this to happen.

For the last twenty years, the Italians have chosen option 3. They would be well advised to choose one of the first two.

To quote the great Sir Humphrey Appleby, I think that last sentence mistakes lethargy for strategy.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

What is it with Home Secretaries and Shadow Home Secretaries that they are incapable of mastering basic numeracy?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

To quote the great Sir Humphrey Appleby, I think that last sentence mistakes lethargy for strategy.
    I think you misunderstand. Their strategy *is* lethargy. AKA Something Will Turn Up, Hopefully After I Am Out Of Office.
  • Options

kamski said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

It is not particularly hard to find an English speaking doctor in most countries. Something to do with English being the second language of the world, probably.
    Thank you for sharing. I never realised that.
  • Options

Good article, though with a fast-moving pandemic the risk is that a series of deputies go down in turn. For that matter, we need some contingency planning in case the next pandemic is worse and a whole bunch of Cabinet Ministers fall ill at the same time as the PM.

On a lighter note, thanks for the entertaining responses to my wine-and-omelette exploration. Tomorrow, I'm considering cooking pasta, also for the first time. I've got some "artisan Tortaglione" from Sainsbury (spirally things) which I bought when bargaining for 2-week isolation (all the cheap pasta had been panic-bought, but anyway I thought that pasta virginity should be broken with some good stuff), and some tomato sauce. Just boil them, right? There are rather a lot of them, I wonder if they'll keep if I eat half? (Where is Cyclefree?)

The wine, by the way, is Politically Correct. Given to me by a leftie friend, it's 19 Crimes red wine from Australia, based on a riot in 1904 against a rum tax. The rebels were punished with a variety of trumped-up charges, and with each bottle you can find one of the crimes inscribed on the cork. I have "Assault with attempt to rob". It's very good. (The wine, not the assault.)

Breaking and entering should be inscribed on the label at the top of the bottle.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

I think you misunderstand. Their strategy *is* lethargy. AKA Something Will Turn Up, Hopefully After I Am Out Of Office.
    Government is about surviving until next century.

Italian politics is about surviving until you don’t?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    ukpaul said:

In the Hartlepool example they have 565 respondents - next door Stockton has 1682, Wandsworth, for example, as nearly 11,000. Is it perfect? Of course not, but its better than nothing.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Breaking and entering should be inscribed on the label at the top of the bottle.
    Why? Have you lost your corkscrew?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    edited April 2020
    Is DH trying to outdo Mr Meeks for the longest thread header?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Yes. She's very nervous but thus far is holding up OK.
    Cant read out a simple number from an autocue.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    IanB2 said:

This sounds alarming, but should be reassuring. Covid-19 takes 20-25 days to kill victims. The paper reckons that 7m Americans were infected from March 8th to 14th, and official data show 7,000 deaths three weeks later. The resulting fatality rate is 0.1%, similar to that of flu. That is amazingly low, just a tenth of some other estimates. Perhaps it is just wrong, possibly because the death toll has been under-reported. Perhaps, though, New York’s hospitals are overflowing because the virus is so contagious that it has crammed the equivalent of a year’s worth of flu cases into one week

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/04/11/why-a-study-showing-that-covid-19-is-everywhere-is-good-news

Even if it did only have a fatality rate of 0.1%, of course if left alone it would produce many more deaths than seasonal flu because the lack of immunity in the population would produce so many more cases.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437
    This appears to be an “aint the police great?” presser....
  • Options
    WTF is this bollocks.

A policeman has brought a pint of milk to an elderly resident.

Whoopee6 dooo

Can we talk about the matter at hand by any chance.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:

Starmer surge.

Starmer has a net positive rating of +50 to Corbyn's -54 in the poll though (albeit only +21% including Don't Knows) but his only gains so far seem to be from the LDs in terms of voting intention.
    And defections amongst party members...
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    ukpaul said:

The study is an App that can be downloaded, then you fill in some information Age, sex post coed and so on, then each day you take one minit to say is you are fully well or what systems you have, tempricher cough snesses, and so on. Presumably there is then a big algorithm, which uses the data to make full protections of the UK population.

it has 2.2 million people using it, but it is self selection, perhaps the large numbers can mitigate the self selection problem?

I am using it, but am rater frustrated and disported in the analysis and recommendations.

'The number of people wiht systems is down, there for Lock-down must be working therefor we musk keep going' is poor analysis and recommendation, one data point and correlation is not causation.
This discussion has been closed.