Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Who will be Sir Keir Starmer’s successor?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited April 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Who will be Sir Keir Starmer’s successor?

My 25/1 tip as next Labour leader.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited April 2020
    Already considering Sir Kier's replacement?

In the words of Blue Eyes - You're riding high in April, shot down in May.

That's Life!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    ukpaul said:

Andy_JS said:

"Stockholm will reach 'herd immunity' within weeks
    Claim comes amid bitter debate over success of Sweden's relaxed approach

Sweden's infectious diseases chief has said parts of the country could achieve "herd immunity" as early as next month as debate rages over the rising death toll." (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/18/stockholm-will-reach-herd-immunity-within-weeks

https://mrc-ide.github.io/covid19estimates/#/details/Sweden

Estimated at 11% a few days ago.
    I don't believe he said all of Sweden, he said parts e.g. Stockholm.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    More money to be made laying David Miliband?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    FPT Absolutely agree with that Floater

My hospital now has 26 of 32 ventilators in use and has had 63 deaths in last 3 weeks

High point was 13/4/20 when only 1 vent was spare

The pre Covid Vent capacity was 22 so still using some of boosted Capacity

These people who obsess about ending the already looser than some countries "lockdown" have their priorities completely wrong.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

More money to be made laying David Miliband?

I'm not being greedy, there's only so many times you can milk a (cash) cow.

Why do you think I'm not laying Hillary Clinton anymore for the Dem nomination?
  • Options
    Floater said:
    I posted about this 2-3 days ago. A BBC blue checkmark tweeted about how something strange going on there, and a US based Chinese journalist (who is anti CCP) also talking about it.
  • Options
    FPT:
    IshmaelZ said:

Sigh, can't get the quotes straight. I said:

I didn't say that, it's a quoting cockup. And i entirely agree with you. I read somewhere reasonably authoritative that 30 % of all deaths in India are not formally recorded anywhere, and only 25% have the cause of death certified by a doctor.

HYUFD has never been anywhere in the third world. He doesn't realise that they do things differently there.

Before we all got caught up in the current panic, there was a huge news story about the Indian government's attempts to re-register everyone. There's at least tens of millions of Indians who have no record of their life anywhere official. It could actually turn out to be hundreds of millions of completely undocumented people.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Nandy at 18/1 worth a punt also I think.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    Is the more important split in the Tory party not between Leave and Remain but between China hawks and doves?

https://twitter.com/dailymailuk/status/1251824117482913797?s=21
  • Options
    So nearly 22,000 tests yesterday but Capacity is now approaching 40,000. Time for all those NHS staff treating Covid 19 patients to get their tests whether or not they are symptomatic
  • Options
    Andy Burnham or Dan Jarvis.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen Roger on here lately? I assume he's self-isolating in one of his twelve mansions? ;)
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

My hospital now has 26 of 32 ventilators in use and has had 63 deaths in last 3 weeks

These people who obsess about ending the already looser than some countries "lockdown" have their priorities completely wrong.

We defintely need to start treating more non Covid patients who must he suffering now
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    GIN1138 said:

Has anyone seen Roger on here lately? I assume he's self-isolating in one of his twelve mansions? ;)

I don't think we have heard from him since before the GE. He didn't even do his usual (and one time a year where his predictions are worth taking notice of) Oscars piece.
  • Options

The former for me

The contrast in the performance of the 2 mayors is stark
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I don't think we have heard from him since before the GE. He didn't even do his usual (and one time a year where his predictions are worth taking notice of) Oscars piece.
    Oh hope he's OK. Maybe OGH can send him an email.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    Another question for WWII UK military procurement -

What is the connection between cigarettes and an African tropical disease?

This time £5 to charity of choice - it's an easier question.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Floater said:
    I posted about this 2-3 days ago. A BBC blue checkmark tweeted about how something strange going on there, and a US based Chinese journalist (who is anti CCP) also talking about it.
    Not great news for anyone hoping for medical kit from China...
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

We defintely need to start treating more non Covid patients who must he suffering now
    There's a big problem heading the NHS's way later this summer and into the Autumn. Backlog of elective surgery. Cancellation of "non-urgent" operations that WILL have to be recategorized as urgent in six months time. Huge numbers of doctors and nurses who will have basically gone months without a holiday needing to be given time off. Oh, and the standard winter crisis.

Oh, and COVID-19 second wave...

• Options
    edited April 2020
    alex_ said:

There's a big problem heading the NHS's way later this summer and into the Autumn. Backlog of elective surgery. Cancellation of "non-urgent" operations that WILL have to be recategorized as urgent in six months time. Huge numbers of doctors and nurses who will have basically gone months without a holiday needing to be given time off. Oh, and the standard winter crisis.

It might be that the first level of lockdown reduction - after the COVID19 numbers have gone down and testing allows you to declare *some* hospitals COVID19 free - would be to start to work through the medical backlog.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    @charles I thought I was quite a lot older than you actually!

Dining out used to be a treat but I think in the last decade it’s become more of a regular thing generally

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    alex_ said:

There will have to be a rapid re-assessment of what constitutes urgent and non-urgent treatment, just because of the medium-term (at least) reduction in capacity.

I suspect that anyone waiting for a hip replacement, for example, and who lacks the means to go private is going to be left in pain for years.
  • Options

But cases have been declining for a full 10 minutes now...

Seriously - good luck to you.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    I have just been out on Cannock Chase on my bike ride.

Lockdown is over. I’ve only ever twice seen it busier.

And with the car parks shut, they’ve just parked on the roads.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Scott_xP said:
    Nice to have Scott and his twitter barrage back. He did some decent self isolating of his own after losing the election.
  • Options
    On topic, Mr Eagles, you’re right.

It is far too early to be considering Starmer’s likely successor.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

FPT:

IshmaelZ said:

I didn't say that, it's a quoting cockup. And i entirely agree with you. I read somewhere reasonably authoritative that 30 % of all deaths in India are not formally recorded anywhere, and only 25% have the cause of death certified by a doctor.

HYUFD has never been anywhere in the third world. He doesn't realise that they do things differently there.

Before we all got caught up in the current panic, there was a huge news story about the Indian government's attempts to re-register everyone. There's at least tens of millions of Indians who have no record of their life anywhere official. It could actually turn out to be hundreds of millions of completely undocumented people.
    "re-register" - in fact to register people in the first place.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    @ TSE I think we need a thread on the various voting systems so that we can understand your comment "the flawless alternative vote system" fully and in context. Could you rustle something up for us?
  • Options
    TimT said:

@ TSE I think we need a thread on the various voting systems so that we can understand your comment "the flawless alternative vote system" fully and in context. Could you rustle something up for us?

I’ll try and get said piece written for next weekend.
  • Options

alex_ said:

There will have to be a rapid re-assessment of what constitutes urgent and non-urgent treatment, just because of the medium-term (at least) reduction in capacity.

I suspect that anyone waiting for a hip replacement, for example, and who lacks the means to go private is going to be left in pain for years.
    My wife works as an anaesthetist in a rural US hospital. They are re-starting urgent non-elective surgeries after about a month of just non-elective surgeries. So far, they've only had 4 confirmed COVID cases, all of whom survived and have been discharged.
  • Options

TimT said:

Perhaps a companion piece on the Epicurian perfection of pineapple on pizza?
  • Options

TimT said:

:smiley:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

So nearly 22,000 tests yesterday but Capacity is now approaching 40,000. Time for all those NHS staff treating Covid 19 patients to get their tests whether or not they are symptomatic

More frontline symptomatic is the next expansion.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

TimT said:

I've eaten a lot of pizza in my time and have never been tempted to put pineapple on it. I find it a rather odd idea, frankly.
  • Options
    TimT said:

You just had to open your big keyboard, didn’t you?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    I think Keir could be with us for a long time yet 10-15 years. Too many variables for me. Putting your money in Shell for that sweet 10-11% dividend and hoping their promises of diversification bear fruit might be a little less risky.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

A small research project by Stanford using antibody testing concluded that California's true COVID exposure is 50-100 x the reported positives from testing. I take that as good news - it means we'll get to herd immunity quicker and that, even if the implication is that the R0 is higher than previously calculated, that the social distancing is working despite that higher R0
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Is it simply the product of very nice weather and nothing else to do?

So long as all those people aren't clustering in groups, organising football matches or staging an impromptu mock-up of Glastonbury then it really shouldn't make much difference.

FWIW I reckon it's maybe marginally, but not significantly, busier around here. Probably saw a few more cars about when I was out running this morning than could be plausibly accounted for by folk driving up the heath to do walks and exercise their dogs, especially since it was too early for the shops to be open, but no obvious widespread disobedience. Certainly I can see most of the railway station car park from my flat and there's only one car parked in it.

Based on this and on the levels of traffic I saw out on Easter Day, I reckon there are some people out and about because they can't resist the urge to visit family and friends, but not particularly large numbers.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    596, how does that compare to a fortnight last saturday (Last sat was bank holiday sat so not a fair comparison)
  • Options

I think Keir could be with us for a long time yet 10-15 years. Too many variables for me. Putting your money in Shell for that sweet 10-11% dividend and hoping their promises of diversification bear fruit might be a little less risky.

He’s 57. I give him two general elections at most. More likely, if he loses the next one he resigns about a year afterwards.

That, of course, is another consideration. If Labour are in office, or seem close to it, back a centrist as they try to make that last heave. If they’re in opposition and feel they’re likely to stay there, back them to pick the most self-indulgent candidate imaginable.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TimT said:

You just had to open your big keyboard, didn’t you?
    Can't resist an open goal, and TSE obviously needed someone to say it.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

ydoethur said:

So long as all those people aren't clustering in groups, organising football matches or staging an impromptu mock-up of Glastonbury then it really shouldn't make much difference.

FWIW I reckon it's maybe marginally, but not significantly, busier around here. Probably saw a few more cars about when I was out running this morning than could be plausibly accounted for by folk driving up the heath to do walks and exercise their dogs, especially since it was too early for the shops to be open, but no obvious widespread disobedience. Certainly I can see most of the railway station car park from my flat and there's only one car parked in it.

Based on this and on the levels of traffic I saw out on Easter Day, I reckon there are some people out and about because they can't resist the urge to visit family and friends, but not particularly large numbers.
    Small leaks over time sink big ships
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Traffic levels also significantly up in my small bit of the US, despite us having a cold snap atm, and MD being quite a few weeks behind NY in the pandemic. That said, people's behaviour has definitely 'improved' in relation to following social distancing and face mask guidelines.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

A small research project by Stanford using antibody testing concluded that California's true COVID exposure is 50-100 x the reported positives from testing. I take that as good news - it means we'll get to herd immunity quicker and that, even if the implication is that the R0 is higher than previously calculated, that the social distancing is working despite that higher R0
    Yet we never reach herd immunity if the worries from the WHO yesterday turn out to be accurate.
  • Options

TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

Yet we never reach herd immunity if the worries from the WHO yesterday turn out to be accurate.
    Missed it. Is that the worry that asymptomatic and paucisymptomatic persons are not developing high antibody titres?
  • Options
    edited April 2020

ydoethur said:

Well, yes, but if enough of them do it deciding it’s a ‘reasonable excuse,’ lockdown is over.

Which is what I saw on Cannock Chase.
  • Options
    ManchesterKurtManchesterKurt Posts: 895
    edited April 2020
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Well, yes, but if enough of them do it deciding it’s a ‘reasonable excuse,’ lockdown is over.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

TimT said:

I've eaten a lot of pizza in my time and have never been tempted to put pineapple on it. I find it a rather odd idea, frankly.
    It's ghastly.

I am more interested by discovering that bacon on pizza is heresy, according to the Italians.

Don't they know everything is better with bacon?
  • Options
    TimT said:

TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

Missed it. Is that the worry that asymptomatic and paucisymptomatic persons are not developing high antibody titres?
    I may be wrong, but the essence of what I read was there is no certainty that you cannot catch the virus more than once.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I may be wrong, but the essence of what I read was there is no certainty that you cannot catch the virus more than 1.
    Yes, reports out of South Korea are worrying in that regard. And there have been reports from the UK that those with no or low symptoms are not developing antibody immunity (and hence could be open to re-infection). But this study was using antibody tests, so the people they viewed as having been exposed are contributing to herd immunity - unless the antibodies are themselves promoting infection - something that has been known to happen with other coronaviruses.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    alex_ said:

Lots of nurses are having more time off now than they have ever had, lack of patients, massive overstaffing, cancellation of overtime and bank work.
  • Options

Never been too enamoured of Jarvis. Having a leader from the Northern heartlands who has been in the paras would clearly be absolutely fantastic for blowing away the notion of Labour these days being a party for Guardian reading North London dwelling poncipoops (like me) but my suspicion is that his appeal does mainly boil down to that.
  • Options
    TimT said:

alex_ said:

My wife works as an anaesthetist in a rural US hospital. They are re-starting urgent non-elective surgeries after about a month of just non-elective surgeries. So far, they've only had 4 confirmed COVID cases, all of whom survived and have been discharged.
    Whereabouts? Many US states are vast and very sparsely populated - Montana, for example, is larger than Germany yet is home to only about a million people, has no cities bigger than Norwich and is very remote from all of the States' major metropolitan areas. It would be no surprise if somewhere like that got off more lightly than New Zealand and without the need for anything more than the most rudimentary movement in the direction of social distancing.

We don't have their advantages. It could be years before the healthcare system returns to something resembling normality.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    edited April 2020
    ydoethur said:

He’s 57. I give him two general elections at most. More likely, if he loses the next one he resigns about a year afterwards.

That, of course, is another consideration. If Labour are in office, or seem close to it, back a centrist as they try to make that last heave. If they’re in opposition and feel they’re likely to stay there, back them to pick the most self-indulgent candidate imaginable.
    He could well win in coalition in 5 years so thats the first 10 out the way. Betting on one hopeful out of many with no visible end-point and in a hugely uncertain time seems folly if you're betting to win. Where is the edge?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    Page 22 of the Sunday Times points out that the Wuhan death toll increased by exactly 50% (to the nearest whole number) from 2,579 to 3,869 which seems rather suspicious.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    Rather ridiculous thread header given Starmer has only been in the job less than a month.

If Starmer loses the next general election then it would suggest one more heave was not enough and David Miliband could make a return or Liz Kendall or even Chuka Umunna could defect back again if Labour was desperate for a Blairite to take them back to power after a Brownite failed to deliver as the Corbynites had not.

If Starmer ends up PM after the next general election then whoever holds the senior Cabinet posts will be favourite
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    ydoethur said:

As long as groups of people from the same household stay 2 metres apart from each other I can't see the problem.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Our once-a-day outdoor exercise excuse for escape from house arrest has been there since the outset. Hence, if that's all they're doing, then they're acting within the rules not flouting them.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

ydoethur said:

On my walk earlier saw very few people about and those that were about were very much keeping their social distance
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

FPT:

IshmaelZ said:

Firstly I have been to the third world, Nablus in the Palestinian authority is third world on any definition as are some of the less salubrious parts of Mauritius.

Second, Isam can say what he likes he still has zero evidence for his theory that Covid 19 mortality is highest depending on the life expectancy of the country in question rather than with over 80s across the board, in fact all the evidence suggests the opposite
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Oh I did see a guy sunbathing in his rather small front garden - I imagine the Po Po would feel his collar if they saw him.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

TimT said:

It's ghastly.

I am more interested by discovering that bacon on pizza is heresy, according to the Italians.

Well, yes, that obviously works. Bacon is a close relative of the thing without which a pizza is not really a pizza - pepperoni.

And of course you have the ritual of plucking each piece off and eating it with your fingers first. Anybody who says they don't do that is a person of very dubious character indeed.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    TimT said:

TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

Can you please stop peddling this herd immunity, wishful thinking nonsense.....it's a vaccine, or a gamechanging anti-viral, or massive testing and contact tracing that gets us out of this....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

He could well win in coalition in 5 years so thats the first 10 out the way. Betting on one hopeful out of many with no visible end-point and in a hugely uncertain time seems folly if you're betting to win. Where is the edge?
    This might well serve as the perfect example of a mug's bet.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TimT said:

It's ghastly.

Well, yes, that obviously works. Bacon is a close relative of the thing without which a pizza is not really a pizza - pepperoni.

And of course you have the ritual of plucking each piece off and eating it with your fingers first. Anybody who says they don't do that is a person of very dubious character indeed.
    But Italians will tell you bacon on pizza is a crime almost as bad as pineapple...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

alex_ said:

Lots of nurses are having more time off now than they have ever had, lack of patients, massive overstaffing, cancellation of overtime and bank work.
    Well that is undoubtedly a good thing. The pandemic is being controlled better than we could have hoped. Well done Boris, well done NHS!
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

As long as groups of people from the same household stay 2 metres apart from each other I can't see the problem.
    Apart from the fact that if you cough you project Covid microbes up to 8 meters away....it only takes one of these little fellas to fuck you up.....and put you on the trajectory of a ventilator and a ghastly lonely death in a matter of weeks....

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Scott_xP said:
    Was he supposed to chair them? Sounds like he wasn't.
  • Options

TimT said:

Late last year I wrote the greatest polling analysis in history, it featured Hawaiian pizzas.

Hypothetical polls are a lot like Hawaiian pizzas, they should be avoided at all costs by right thinking people everywhere.

https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/12/01/your-regular-reminder-that-hypothetical-polls-can-be-as-accurate-as-an-american-war-film/
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    tyson said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

Can you please stop peddling this herd immunity, wishful thinking nonsense.....it's a vaccine, or a gamechanging anti-viral, or massive testing and contact tracing that gets us out of this....
    It is not "wishing thinking nonsense". It is a possibility that we will get there a lot quicker because so many of us have had it asymptomatically, or perhaps have natural immunity.

That hypothesis may turn out to be wrong, but isn't nonsense.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Rather ridiculous thread header given Starmer has only been in the job less than a month.

If Starmer loses the next general election then it would suggest one more heave was not enough and David Miliband could make a return or Liz Kendall or even Chuka Umunna could defect back again if Labour was desperate for a Blairite to take them back to power after a Brownite failed to deliver as the Corbynites had not.

If Starmer ends up PM after the next general election then whoever holds the senior Cabinet posts will be favourite

This is politicalbetting dot com, we're doing what it says on the tin.

Heck we were discussing the 2012 Presidential nominees before Obama was even elected in 2008.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677

Is the more important split in the Tory party not between Leave and Remain but between China hawks and doves?

https://twitter.com/dailymailuk/status/1251824117482913797?s=21

I agree - the Brexit debate (in the Tory party at least) is over - and this split does focus on traditional Tory concerns - the economy and national security.
  • Options
    Excellent Ch4 series on Putin - which I think sums him up well - he's a weak man whose only focus is hanging on to power. He must be terrified by the knowledge that nothing lasts forever.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/putin-a-russian-spy-story/on-demand/69173-001
  • Options
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

tyson said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

It is not "wishing thinking nonsense". It is a possibility that we will get there a lot quicker because so many of us have had it asymptomatically, or perhaps have natural immunity.

Quite.
    (I was going to add "what do you think testing is supposed to achieve … ?" … )

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Page 22 of the Sunday Times points out that the Wuhan death toll increased by exactly 50% (to the nearest whole number) from 2,579 to 3,869 which seems rather suspicious.

Chinese reported figures are suspicious, who'd have thought that?
  • Options

tyson said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

The German Wuhan...had 15%....Lombardy has 10%...these are with blood tests samples that show the population affected....and at best it is 15%

We know what happens when this virus hits a hotspot.....Bergamo, New York, Madrid....
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Herd immunity - supported by partial lockdown and social distancing (its not an either/or) - is the only method we can actually rely on now, as well, as the vaccine don't exist, a cure-all treatment don't exist and people don't seem to quite grasp the differences between different types of testing. The most useful one? don't exist.
  • Options

TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

I think herd immunity is a real Plan Z. It costs 3m hospital admissions and 250k lives.

Social distancing and partial lockdown until vaccine, I fear.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

We (the UK) are not counting countless thousands dying in care homes...so pot calling kettle springs to mind....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

"Suspicious" is a gross understatement.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Heck we were discussing the 2012 Presidential nominees before Obama was even elected in 2008.
    In 2023 maybe it might be appropriate, not 4 years before Starmer's first general election
  • Options
    alterego said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

"Suspicious" is a gross understatement.

Our fatality figures are very suspicious too....thousands dying in care homes....
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    May was criticised for being a control freak for wanting to do everything herself.

We get a PM who delegates and he's criticised for not being a control freak who does everything himself.

• Options

Excellent Ch4 series on Putin - which I think sums him up well - he's a weak man whose only focus is hanging on to power. He must be terrified by the knowledge that nothing lasts forever.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/putin-a-russian-spy-story/on-demand/69173-001

Looking at the graph of case reports and deaths, by far the steepest curve of any country is now Russia, with the outbreak centered on Moscow - another city that's very densely populated.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    Floater said:

ydoethur said:

On my walk earlier saw very few people about and those that were about were very much keeping their social distance
    I'm seeing moderately more around, but still tiny numbers.

I have seen exactly one chipshop open.
  • Options

did they manage to ask former KGB man Putin if he was weak?

maybe they did, but we'd never know.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

We (the UK) are not counting countless thousands dying in care homes...so pot calling kettle springs to mind....
    We are counting them!!!! They are published weekly, hospital deaths are published daily and as a cohort enable analysis and reaction more quickly.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

HYUFD said:

I like Allin- Khan. She is one of only a handful of MPs who's stock is genuinely on the ascent during this crisis.

At the GE she did blot her copybook somewhat, by ripping-off Boris' hilarious Love Actually spoof before he did his.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953

We get a PM who delegates and he's criticised for not being a control freak who does everything himself.

No, he is criticized for not wanting to do ANYTHING that looks like work himself...
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    May was criticised for being a control freak for wanting to do everything herself.

the media have always had a 'throw enough shit' strategy.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

alex_ said:

It might be that the first level of lockdown reduction - after the COVID19 numbers have gone down and testing allows you to declare *some* hospitals COVID19 free - would be to start to work through the medical backlog.
    My duties are to run a skeleton non covid service for the urgent stuff. We have plenty of capacity to do so, and have adapted things for maximum safety. The hard bit is getting the patients to turn up, they are so shit-scared.

Mind you, we did get one the other day that flustered sister a bit. Had positive Covid-19 swabs 12 days prior that no one had told him about. Took a while to clean up the waiting area.

As Dr Rosena says in her tweets above, we are terrible at isolating cases for the 14 days required (7 days in UK for some unknown reason). It is going to be very hard to get R below 1 without isolating cases.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    tyson said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Those are included in the ONS figures. Are you really comparing the two?
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes, the best leaders and managers know how to delegate eg Churchill, Blair and Reagan and Boris.

Control freaks like Nixon, May and Brown rarely prosper in the top job.
This discussion has been closed.