Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A message from Mike Smithson

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited April 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A message from Mike Smithson

In terms of audience and the length and quality of our comment threads the site is going through just about its strongest period ever. Inevitably the pandemic is keeping many people at home and PB has become a great place to come.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First, donation on the way.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,892
    edited April 2020
    Second!
    Damn, Richard III
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    I'm doing my part.
  • Options
    Yeah the comment levels are currently are at last week of a general election levels which means the Vanilla costs are up a lot.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    How do we contribute?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,582

How do we contribute?

Click on the donate button I assume.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191

How do we contribute?

There’s a donate button on the thread header. Goes to PayPal
  • Options

How do we contribute?

Press the donate button under Mike's name and it'll take you to the Paypal site for donations.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,373

How do we contribute?

Click on the donate button above.

£50 on the way, OGH
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Second!
    Damn, Richard III

Why? What have your nephews done to deserve being brutally murdered?

I hope you’re not harbouring inappropriate thoughts about your nieces...
  • Options

How do we contribute?

If you are on vanilla click the link to see the rest of the story.
  • Options
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    FFS...Mike....I saw the threader head and the picture...I thought we were being told you were taking the leap to the great unknown....

Anyway I bunged you 50 notes....and think you should still put these ads on periodically....I know the site is mostly populated by Brexiteer types with short arms and deep pockets...

But it's a really good site
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Second!
    Damn, Richard III

The only inappropriate thoughts today are about oil prices!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Second!
    Damn, Richard III

You have sexual lusts after the price of oil?

That’s so kinky even SeanT would blink at it.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Done.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    tyson said:

FFS...Mike....I saw the threader head and the picture...I thought we were being told you were taking the leap to the great unknown....

Anyway I bunged you 50 notes....and think you should still put these ads on periodically....I know the site is mostly populated by Brexiteer types with short arms and deep pockets...

Shall we make it a competition between Remainers and Brexiteers? That'll really pump up the donation totals. :D
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Second!
    Damn, Richard III

This is turning into a conversation my friends had in our early 20s about whether oil would make a good lubricant in the bedroom.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,430
    I've never successfully managed to bet on a tip from this site, but I've had 15 years of really good entertainment and interest. Very happy to donate to keep it afloat.
  • Options

I love the way that comment implies you were so anxious to secure a first that you commented, THEN sent your donation...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Second!
    Damn, Richard III

This is turning into a conversation my friends had in our early 20s about whether oil would make a good lubricant in the bedroom.
    I trust you told them not to be so crude?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,302
    Donation on its way. All the best.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Second!
    Damn, Richard III

KY is probably a better bet for that sort of lubrication.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I love the way that comment implies you were so anxious to secure a first that you commented, THEN sent your donation...
    Is that a hint of jealousy in your voice there? :p
  • Options
    It would be quite interesting to have a thermometer, with a target, so we can see how donations stack up.
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207
    I've donated in the past and am happy to do so this time. I'm told by my family I spend more time reading PB than I do with them (I'm not sure they think this is good...).

What I'm curious about is what the running cost of the site is. Does vanilla charge based on traffic or posts or storage? And what's the typical monthly cost and how much does it increase at times when there are high volumes of posts. I guess this might be commercially sensitive so perhaps not something to be posted but I'd welcome a DM.
    I'm curious because I like to have a feel for these things, not because I'm going to set up something similar...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,112
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Second!
    Damn, Richard III

You shale pay for that pun....
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Is that a hint of jealousy in your voice there? :p
    Certainly not,

It was a fully paid up, out and out fury of jealousy.
  • Options
    Donation on its way.

Spend it on oil. Negative oil prices...? What the hell has happened to the world.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    I'll confess I have a strong love/hate relationship with this site, but I owe it and would miss it if it went. So donation made. Hope it all works out Mike, and stay healthy (that goes for everyone else too).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,112
    RobD said:

tyson said:

Shall we make it a competition between Remainers and Brexiteers? That'll really pump up the donation totals. :D
    I reckon we should recruit the Walking Captain to fund raise for OGH....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Donation on its way.

Thanks Mike and team, for all the work behind the scenes.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

RobD said:

tyson said:

OGH doing laps of his property on a unicycle?
  • Options

Donation on its way.

Thanks Mike and team, for all the work behind the scenes.

That poor hamster running the PB servers...
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Donation made. Probably smaller than it would have been a couple of months ago!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,390
    edited April 2020
    Balrog said:

I've donated in the past and am happy to do so this time. I'm told by my family I spend more time reading PB than I do with them (I'm not sure they think this is good...).

What I'm curious about is what the running cost of the site is. Does vanilla charge based on traffic or posts or storage? And what's the typical monthly cost and how much does it increase at times when there are high volumes of posts. I guess this might be commercially sensitive so perhaps not something to be posted but I'd welcome a DM.
    I'm curious because I like to have a feel for these things, not because I'm going to set up something similar...

It's a tiered structure, for up to 250k page views a month it is $689 per month.

Above that it goes up a lot.

Currently we're on nearly a million page views in the last month.

Edit - That's just via the vanilla forums, and not including via the main site.
  • Options

RobD said:

tyson said:

With @TOPPING and @Dura_Ace providing an honour guard?
  • Options
    Vanilla charge by the amount of comments? Have I understood that correctly?
  • Options
    eadric said:

For the first time in a long while, I am worried about money. And I have a decent amount, by the standards of most people.

But what will my future income be? I simply don’t know. And I am the breadwinner for three people. They all depend on me. If I got this bug and croaked they’d be screwed.

I find myself pondering the price of a bottle of really nice wine, and thinking, hmm, maybe not. Dial it down

If that is happening to me it must be happening to 99.9% of humanity. Consumer demand is going to nosedive

Wine growers of France start panicking now!
  • Options

Balrog said:

It's a tiered structure, for up to 250k page views a month it is $689 per month.

Half of those might be me. Sorry about that. :(
  • Options
    For comparison, PB had just over 400,000 page views in January.

So we've more than doubled since January.
  • Options

Balrog said:

So if we access through the main site, does it not get charged for?
  • Options

Vanilla charge by the amount of comments? Have I understood that correctly?

Not quite, it is by page views, however more comments generally means more page views.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Just chucked a pony into the kitty, thanks for all your hard work, OGH and RCS1000. Vive la PB!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    eadric said:

For the first time in a long while, I am worried about money. And I have a decent amount, by the standards of most people.

But what will my future income be? I simply don’t know. And I am the breadwinner for three people. They all depend on me. If I got this bug and croaked they’d be screwed.

I find myself pondering the price of a bottle of really nice wine, and thinking, hmm, maybe not. Dial it down

If that is happening to me it must be happening to 99.9% of humanity. Consumer demand is going to nosedive

As a general rule, be greedy when others are fearful. Luxury goods like wine may suddenly become cheaper in the short term if no one is buying.
  • Options

For comparison, PB had just over 400,000 page views in January.

So we've more than doubled since January.

Yet, we have hardly mentioned betting since then I suspect. :smiley:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Balrog said:

So if we access through the main site, does it not get charged for?
    We do, it's still a page view.

I just only have the stats for via the vanilla forums to hand.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

It’s not calamitous. Yet. But I’ve gone from daily drinking wines in the £20-£40 bracket to the £10-£20 range.

Indeed I reckon absurdly expensive French wine is going to take a big hit in this crisis. It is wildly overpriced. The Chinese are staring at their first recession in 50 years. And they are huge buyers of hideously expensive claret.

Coming soon to a Lidl near you, Haut Brion for a fiver
    If it follows oil, bottles may be more expensive than the contents....
  • Options
    From the last thread, the A400 has the following capabilities

Range at 30-tonne payload: 4,500 km (2,450 nmi)
    Range at 20-tonne payload: 6,400 km (3,450 nmi)

The distance to Turkey is 2800Km. Given that the PPE is low density, the issue may also be volume.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Balrog said:

So would it help if we disciplined ourselves and looked less often?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

It’s not calamitous. Yet. But I’ve gone from daily drinking wines in the £20-£40 bracket to the £10-£20 range.

Indeed I reckon absurdly expensive French wine is going to take a big hit in this crisis. It is wildly overpriced. The Chinese are staring at their first recession in 50 years. And they are huge buyers of hideously expensive claret.

Or you might be paid to drink it.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

'He died as he lived, chugging as much claret as he could'
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Second!
    Damn, Richard III

You shale pay for that pun....
    Well, well, well!
  • Options

Mortimer said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I thought that was already part and parcel of being a travel writer?
  • Options

RobD said:

tyson said:

OGH doing laps of his property on a unicycle?
    With the entire LibDem parliamentary party balancing on his shoulders?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,942
    Donated. And worth every penny.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It would be quite interesting to have a thermometer, with a target, so we can see how donations stack up.

I'd certainly like to know if the site is in trouble on the funding front, seeing as this is a bit of a lifeline for me with my current situation.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

And apparently a trade agreement between China and Australia means Australian wines are displacing French wine sales.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    eadric said:

Train as a nurse or doctor - there seems to be some demand for those.
  • Options

RobD said:

Balrog said:

The other question is, does refreshing the page count as a new view? Or is it done on fresh hits?
  • Options
    eadric said:

Mortimer said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

It could be the first luxury product to be hammered. Outrageously pricey wine depends so much on discretionary spending by socially aspirant Asians. Not a great market to be reliant upon
    I'm inclined to agree with you.

However, I expected my sales of rare books to tank.

They haven't.

In some areas, they've gone up. Lower priced (£50-350), very unusual books are still selling really well.

My main problem is fulfilment. I can't send the books I've had orders for because the institutions that have ordered them are closed.
  • Options
    Out of interest, I still see adverts at the top, so I presume they are paying less because fewer companies are buying digital ads?
  • Options
    eadric said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Balrog said:

The other question is, does refreshing the page count as a new view? Or is it done on fresh hits?
    Yes, quite. I had no idea vanilla charged by page views. I will now feel guilty as I reload.

I presumed the more times I hit the site, the better it was for OGH
    Don't feel guilty, the more you refreshed, it increased the ad revenues for PB, which mitigates the cost of the servers and vanilla a little bit.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Frost isn't strictly speaking a civil servant is he?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

eadric said:

Mortimer said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

It could be the first luxury product to be hammered. Outrageously pricey wine depends so much on discretionary spending by socially aspirant Asians. Not a great market to be reliant upon

They haven't.

In some areas, they've gone up. Lower priced (£50-350), very unusual books are still selling really well.

My main problem is fulfilment. I can't send the books I've had orders for because the institutions that have ordered them are closed.
    The collectibles/valuables markets - stamps, watches etc - are seeing some odd patterns, I've been told. Some parts roaring along - well above usual numbers
  • Options
    I have to admit I've made some decisions for the future.

I'm unlikely to go overseas for the near future, airplanes, even in first class, they seem like ideal vectors to spread something like Covid-19.

If Covid-19 or something similar comes back in the future then I really don't want to be trapped overseas as the planes stop and get stuck in an overwhelmed health system like America or Italy.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Anyone else having difficulty with the donate link?
  • Options
    How many regulars are there here? Not just the regular posters, but lurkers as well. I've been reading this site since before Gordon Brown became PM, probably hours a day, but have only posted 75 times. So lack of posts doesnt correlate with number of page views.

Oh and I donated.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

eadric said:

Mortimer said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

They haven't.

The collectibles/valuables markets - stamps, watches etc - are seeing some odd patterns, I've been told. Some parts roaring along - well above usual numbers
    Whereas the classic car market is on its arse, except for the very top eight-figure cars.
  • Options
    dodrade said:

Frost isn't strictly speaking a civil servant is he?
    He is, he's a diplomat.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Anyone else having difficulty with the donate link?

Hopefully bending under the strain of donations.
  • Options
    Good Starlink viewing tonight if you look Eastish at 9.55 ish, allegedly

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/11438821/how-to-see-starlink-elon-musk-spacex-satelite-uk/
  • Options

I'm unlikely to go overseas for the near future, airplanes, even in first class, they seem like ideal vectors to spread something like Covid-19.

If Covid-19 or something similar comes back in the future then I really don't want to be trapped overseas as the planes stop and get stuck in an overwhelmed health system like America or Italy.

I was supposed to be on US, Japan and Australia this year. Unless i accidentally become a plague survivor, there is absolutely no chance i am getting on a load of long haul flights.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

eadric said:

Mortimer said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

They haven't.

Yes, I've heard the same.

I suspect its partly because much of the trade is incestuous, within the trade. Because new sources (auctions, house clearances, private sales) have dried up, supply is limiting and prices are finding a new level.

Plus, lots of the customers are on fixed incomes...
  • Options

Out of interest, I still see adverts at the top, so I presume they are paying less because fewer companies are buying digital ads?

Youtube ads are down about 50% by revenue in the last couple of months. Lots of companies are just not interested in advertising at the moment, for obvious reasons.
  • Options

I keep getting some very weird people who can help me to get a knighthood or OBE. And, no, this is not targetted to my personal browsing habits as far as I can see.
  • Options
    eadric said:

I've at least four years worth of outgoings in the bank and a fairly secure job, even though I've been told there will be no bonuses this year, about a quarter of my income.

And I have stopped spending. I don't mean, I've stopped spending on going out, that's taken as a given. I mean, I have looked at all the large discretionary purchases I was planning on making this year, from a new gaming rig, a refurbished bathroom, to another snazzy new watch, and said OK, that will have to wait. The jeweller has already phoned me desperate to know if I want to skip the wait list. But no. Apparently everyone else has had the same idea.

Unless it's absolutely essential or breaks, the money stays in my pocket.

And I am quite well off. I can only imagine what people who were living hand to mouth before all this are feeling.

The economy is in dire shape, it will get worse from here, I think only discount brands selling essential products have a chance of doing well or even surviving this.

This is a health crisis, but an economic catastrophe.
  • Options
    Balrog said:

How many regulars are there here? Not just the regular posters, but lurkers as well. I've been reading this site since before Gordon Brown became PM, probably hours a day, but have only posted 75 times. So lack of posts doesnt correlate with number of page views.

Oh and I donated.

75 times since it switched to Vanilla. Don’t forget it was previously Disqus (left when they started nesting threads) and before something incredibly weird that was alternately blue and white.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Did you see this from WHO today?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1252294734405648387?s=21

Truly gloomy. The second wave will likely be worse.

This is with us for a year, or more, and we are only in the foothills.
    I did, is the view of experts in this field my father knows.

They think what will happen is once the lockdown is over people will go back to normal, or ignore social distancing, and the second wave will be much worse.

Let's be honest, we're all making plans to see friends and family once this all over, it'll be a collection of large parties at home and we're all buggered.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

I keep getting some very weird people who can help me to get a knighthood or OBE. And, no, this is not targetted to my personal browsing habits as far as I can see.
    Who was it who complained that he was getting adverts to a load of inappropriate websites, not apparently realising that it was drawn from his Google search patterns?
  • Options

I was supposed to be on US, Japan and Australia this year. Unless i accidentally become a plague survivor, there is absolutely no chance i am getting on a load of long haul flights.
    Have to admit I'm not keen on using trains, which might be an issue as I'm a daily train user.
  • Options

Yep, not travelling for probably the rest of the year now.

Work can be done from home via the various remote tools available, now that people being forced to adopt WFH are realising we can be nearly as productive for a lot less cost of travel and office space.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

eadric said:

Mortimer said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

They haven't.

Rolex Daytonas (the epitome of an overpriced asset) down about 25% on the secondary market in the last week.

Presumably because the ADs can't give them away at a third of the price right now.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Who was it who complained that he was getting adverts to a load of inappropriate websites, not apparently realising that it was drawn from his Google search patterns?
    Teenage Ukrainian brides, I think it was. Can't remember the poster - he may have re self identified after that episode.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

That's probably my fault and my attempts to get a Royal Dukedom or a GCMG.
  • Options
    I'm also a huge user of taxis, that's something I'm not mad keen on using much.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,270
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Second!
    Damn, Richard III

Here’s hoping for a more refined conversation.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    eadric said:

kyf_100 said:

eadric said:

I've at least four years worth of outgoings in the bank and a fairly secure job, even though I've been told there will be no bonuses this year, about a quarter of my income.

And I have stopped spending. I don't mean, I've stopped spending on going out, that's taken as a given. I mean, I have looked at all the large discretionary purchases I was planning on making this year, from a new gaming rig, a refurbished bathroom, to another snazzy new watch, and said OK, that will have to wait. The jeweller has already phoned me desperate to know if I want to skip the wait list. But no. Apparently everyone else has had the same idea.

Unless it's absolutely essential or breaks, the money stays in my pocket.

And I am quite well off. I can only imagine what people who were living hand to mouth before all this are feeling.

The economy is in dire shape, it will get worse from here, I think only discount brands selling essential products have a chance of doing well or even surviving this.

This is a health crisis, but an economic catastrophe.
    Yes. Same here. And I have a guaranteed healthy income for the next couple years. The money goes on my kids, food, ok-ish wine, that’s it. I don’t need any clothes, champagne or absurd electronics.

It’s just too frightening right now.

On the upside, before all this happened my accountant told me: ‘to feel secure you need a year with basically spending nothing. Then you will catch up with the taxman’

It seems to be unfurling that way.
    Inflation.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    Count me in @MikeSmithson. Donation sent.

'Tis but a small fraction of my winnings from good tips over the years, though I did miss out on one famous 50/1 tip some years ago...

But more than the financial return, it has given me great pleasure arguing and punning over the years.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    Done
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Good Starlink viewing tonight if you look Eastish at 9.55 ish, allegedly

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/11438821/how-to-see-starlink-elon-musk-spacex-satelite-uk/

CORRECTION: Westish. Look for Orion.
  • Options
    Well, my retirement has come at a titanic moment. We have three discrete sets of sources of income and all three are looking a little shaky at present. But we’d budgeted on the basis that markets might crash 30% when we pressed the button, so we should be ok.

We’re cutting down our expenditure now because there’s nothing much to spend money on. However, that’s only temporary.

I’m planning later in the year to see what pride of possession purchases might be out there. I doubt I can persuade the household FD that we need a sports car but works of art might get budgetary approval.
  • Options
    McDonnell on novara media. He is all over the place at the moment.
  • Options
    ScarpiaScarpia Posts: 28
    Have done so before and happy to bung a mite or so at the end of the week (pension arrives).
    It occurs to me as Mike and "co conspirators" don't get anything out of this, might not PB be turned into charitable status.. so getting HMRC top-ups to taxpayer contributors, as well as other possible tax breaks? We seem to have enough eminent lawyers on hand to advise.
  • Options

Do you mean emotionally or physically?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Do you mean emotionally or physically?
    Physically. He has very active the past week. He is currently banging on about how coronavirus is an opportunity for the left.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,290
    Needless to say the best site out there.

Funnily enough although an important community resource right now I'm not so sure the quality of the debate is at its best. A bunch of people selectively quoting whichever epidemiologist most closely agrees with their point of view.

While most also, with a few notable exceptions, giving the government a free pass on whatever on the hoof policy seems most expedient at any particular time.

And donated, obvs.
This discussion has been closed.