Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to the Wednesday PB Nighthawks Cafe and time for some

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited April 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Welcome to the Wednesday PB Nighthawks Cafe and time for some lockdown humour

For me one of the features of the lockdown has been the gallows type humour it has generated. My WhatsApp groups are a good source and I think it is healthy to have a good chuckle every now and then. I’m sure other PBers have seen the same.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Love the blackboard.

I will leave you insomniacs to enjoy the rest in peace.

Good night.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339
    First
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited April 2020
    Hungering and firsting after righteousness

WRONG
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    None of the nighthawks wearing masks - tut tut.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,941
    To echo Black_Rook on the previous thread, in my part of metropolitan Dorset, there is no significant rejection of the lockdown at all. If anything, people seem more in the groove of it.

The only people I hear wanting it to end are those mates, all male, who are working from home and looking after their kids. Must admit, not an enviable position to be in.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339
    I was first ..ive been done!!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Fun with Sweden data mangling.

If 9 swedes who died on the 8th had died a day earlier and 9 swedes on the 8th had died a day later then we would only just now for the 15th and 16th have seen the highest number of Swedes dead from Covid in a single day.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Mortimer said:

To echo Black_Rook on the previous thread, in my part of metropolitan Dorset, there is no significant rejection of the lockdown at all. If anything, people seem more in the groove of it.

The only people I hear wanting it to end are those mates, all male, who are working from home and looking after their kids. Must admit, not an enviable position to be in.

And how do the kids feel?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,941
    dixiedean said:

Mortimer said:

Apparently loving it. No (or in the best case scenario) less schoolwork, no homework, beautiful weather, paddling pools etc.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936
    Great jokes. Gallows humour is always welcome when things are tough.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,412
    Apparently our problem is that we are obeying the lockdown far more than was expected - we have flattened the sombrero so much that a second peak has popped up in December, when we will be less able to deal with it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Oh bollocks, i suppose i am too late for any flour?
  • Options
    Somebody answer this.
  • Options
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/22/racial-inequality-in-britain-found-a-risk-factor-for-covid-19

Despite what an academic who looked at the figures and was on R4 earlier today, the Guardian have done analysis....i wonder if it is thorough as their analysis of all the delboy companies?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Mortimer said:

Apparently loving it. No (or in the best case scenario) less schoolwork, no homework, beautiful weather, paddling pools etc.
    Mine certainly is. Passed all his GCSE mocks. 6 month holiday, no exams. And I can't even seriously tell him to not practice his bass or come off the bbloody Xbox and do something more productive...like errr come downstairs and watch Netflix.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Somebody answer this.

Is your fart an aerosol?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597

Somebody answer this.

Someone wasn't paying attention in science lessons.
  • Options
    Even the Guardian aren't prominently featuring Labour dodgy dossier full of Trotter Independent Traders.
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/22/racial-inequality-in-britain-found-a-risk-factor-for-covid-19

Despite what an academic who looked at the figures and was on R4 earlier today, the Guardian have done analysis....i wonder if it is thorough as their analysis of all the delboy companies?

“ The Guardian analysis found that of 12,593 patients who died in hospital up to 19 April, 19% were Black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) even though these groups make up only 15% of the general population in England.”

Err London effect?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    RobD said:

Is your fart an aerosol?

You should try my local curry house before asking that question.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,261
    FPT
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    Peace?

Lenin?

Fuck me, where do they get these idiots from? Lenin was a firm believer in violence and terrorism. A case could be made that he is the fourth worst mass murderer of all time. He launched a war that caused around 13 million deaths, and McCauley described him as ‘bloodthirsty as a vampire.’

He just happened to oppose the war between the Russian and German Empires.
    Which war did he launch that caused 13 million deaths?
    The Russian Civil War. I was including the probable dead of the 1921 famine, which was a direct result of it.
    Didn't the White forces and the Allies start it by trying to crush the Reds before they controlled the whole of Russia? And let's not forget the Central Powers advancing deep into Russia in early 1918.
    No.

Lenin started it by (a) seizing power by force including an extremely bloody fight in Moscow (b) dissolving the legally and democratically elected constituent assembly and (c) banning all political parties other than his own.

He later claimed he had been attacked and it wasn’t his fault but that was a simple lie. He led a government backed by a very small minority of the population, and he used force to get there and keep himself there. Not surprisingly, he faced violent opposition.
    Speaking of famine, I suppose British Rule can be blamed for the following famines:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Bengal_famine_of_1770
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_of_1876–1878
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengal_famine_of_1943

To name but a few.

"Famines in India resulted in more than 60 million deaths over the course of the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries. Famines in British India were severe enough to have a substantial impact on the long-term population growth of the country in the 19th and early 20th centuries."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famine_in_India
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

“ The Guardian analysis found that of 12,593 patients who died in hospital up to 19 April, 19% were Black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) even though these groups make up only 15% of the general population in England.”

Err London effect?
    I know...that is why i was taking the piss. Did any of these people do a STEM degree?
  • Options
    Can cigarette smoke spread the virus?
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Err London effect?
    Yeah, it's bogus because it's not controlled for variations in the rate across England. But it fits the narrative they want to push so they'll go with it without question.
  • Options

It probably acts as a good tracer of where their breath is going. If you can smell cigarette smoke you are breathing in air that they have exhaled.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Even the Guardian aren't prominently featuring Labour dodgy dossier full of Trotter Independent Traders.

PPE availability and quality problems are a big issue for a lot more countries than just the UK. Demand far outstrips supply, and crooks are making hay.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
  • Options
    RobD said:

It probably acts as a good tracer of where their breath is going. If you can smell cigarette smoke you are breathing in air that they have exhaled.
    I should clarify that this doesn't necessarily mean the virus is carried along with it. It's possible it falls out of the air over time if it's in water droplets, so it only gets carried a short distance.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited April 2020
    RobD said:

TGOHF666 said:

Five Guys opening back up for takeaway and delivery.

The lockdown is creaking.

They could have done that from the start...
    The big book distributors have re-opened their warehouses, if only on certain days and with fewer staff and social distancing in place. It's a realisation that shutting down completely indefinitely would mean doom, that this issue isn't going away so it's a case of proceeding as best one can under the circumstances. It isn't the lockdown 'creaking', it is just a more sensible or pragmatic lockdown.
  • Options

Shrieker whackamole will be back tomorrow.

Next up - fiasco as not enough tests for police horses who are without latex hoof covers... Hancock under pressure
  • Options

News at Ten featured a guy with a warehouse full of PPE that the government didn't want to buy.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    So - I am in lockdown and other than walking the dog staying in doors to avoid a virus

I currently have chicken pox :blush:
  • Options

News at Ten featured a guy with a warehouse full of PPE that the government didn't want to buy.
    Were they any good, and how much was he asking? ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Somebody answer this.

Is your fart an aerosol?
    You've never had any my Mum's curries have you?
  • Options
    fox327fox327 Posts: 366
    glw said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Given that we have no treatments or vaccines the only thing keeping COVID-19 in check is social distancing. So she's volunteering the city to see what happens when nothing mitigates the spread. Good luck with that.

It's a bit like the captain of the sinking ship saying "we offer to be a control group" to see how many people die without life vests or lifeboats. There isn't anything else, so you are going to maxmise the death toll.
    For anyone interested in live music, there is a live telethon from Las Vegas featuring musicians to support actors on April 27th, 5pm - 11pm at https://mondaysdark.com/event/live-stream-telethon-event/. This is in aid of Las Vegas actors, dancers, musicians, crew members, whose shows have been cancelled amid the coronavirus epidemic. Some of the performers also have a YouTube presence such as Kristen Mosca. This event shows that a section of the Las Vegas community is very concerned about the impact of social distancing restrictions on that area. Should they have the right to decide to be different?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    eadric said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Scottish independence, thanks to coronavirus, will soon seem like one of those surreal, how-did-that-ever-happen dream adventures from history, like, ooh, I dunno, the Darien Scheme?
    I just don't understand the headline. What are they asking for?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

eadric said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Scottish independence, thanks to coronavirus, will soon seem like one of those surreal, how-did-that-ever-happen dream adventures from history, like, ooh, I dunno, the Darien Scheme?
    Money.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Money.
    How very independent.
  • Options

RobD said:

Somebody answer this.

Is your fart an aerosol?
    I'm tempted to try. Does she put pineapple in them?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Money.
    How very independent.
    It's quite ironic, I agree. :p
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Did they ask him how much he was charging, when he offered the government did he have any proof of if it was legit, does he still have any proof it is legit, etc? When did he offer it to the government and did he have it when he did?

Or are we going solely on the word of Arthur Daley?

It has now been revealed that the government ask for a series of very sensible bits of info e.g. you have to be able to prove which factory it was made in for obvious reasons. Most of these cowboys can't.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,021
    TGOHF666 said:
    Still hanging on every word?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Somebody answer this.

Is your fart an aerosol?
    Occasionally she makes a creamy pineapple sauce (chutney) with some of them.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:
    As the leading word in Scottish nationalism, it's surely worth keeping an eye on.
  • Options

RobD said:

Somebody answer this.

Is your fart an aerosol?
    I bet MY mum's curries are spicier than YOUR mum's :p
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Somebody answer this.

Is your fart an aerosol?
    Occasionally she makes a creamy pineapple sauce (chutney) with some of them.
    Sounds quite nice actually!
  • Options

Did they ask him how much he was charging, when he offered the government did he have any proof of if it was legit, does he still have any proof it is legit, etc? When did he offer it to the government and did he have it when he did?

It has now been revealed that the government ask for instance that you have to be able to prove which factory it was made in for obvious reasons. Most of these cowboys can't.
    I'll let you watch it on ITV+1 then you can make your own mind up.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

eadric said:

TGOHF666 said:

No irony detectives at thes=21

?
    They want Westminster to finance furlough indefinitely if Nippy decides Scotland wants to skive off for longer.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

First

That made me laugh. :smile:
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    fox327 said:

glw said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Given that we have no treatments or vaccines the only thing keeping COVID-19 in check is social distancing. So she's volunteering the city to see what happens when nothing mitigates the spread. Good luck with that.

It's a bit like the captain of the sinking ship saying "we offer to be a control group" to see how many people die without life vests or lifeboats. There isn't anything else, so you are going to maxmise the death toll.
    For anyone interested in live music, there is a live telethon from Las Vegas featuring musicians to support actors on April 27th, 5pm - 11pm at https://mondaysdark.com/event/live-stream-telethon-event/. This is in aid of Las Vegas actors, dancers, musicians, crew members, whose shows have been cancelled amid the coronavirus epidemic. Some of the performers also have a YouTube presence such as Kristen Mosca. This event shows that a section of the Las Vegas community is very concerned about the impact of social distancing restrictions on that area. Should they have the right to decide to be different?
    The right? Sure. But their rights and views on the issue won't make a shred of difference to the virus, ending social distancing risks the virus spreading rapidly and many more deaths.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:
    Even the Nats are finding it embarrassing.

Please pay for extra furlough please Westminster...

• Options
    edited April 2020

It has now been revealed that the government ask for instance that you have to be able to prove which factory it was made in for obvious reasons. Most of these cowboys can't.
    I am not saying some middle men haven't got kit e.g. the former reality tv show property developer did, but would you buy sight unseen a load of masks that such an individual says they can get for you in a few weeks if you give them a load of cash and don't ask any questions?
  • Options

R4 World Tonight led on care home deaths.
    And finally had someone pointing out the folly of discharging sick patients into care.

Sorry for dampening the mood.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    TGOHF666 said:
    How many years?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

RobD said:

Somebody answer this.

Is your fart an aerosol?
    Oooh - Pb.com Mum Curry-off!
  • Options
    This is what I was talking about earlier...

The Infection That’s Silently Killing Coronavirus Patients

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/opinion/coronavirus-testing-pneumonia.html

I know Dr Foxy isn't 100% convinced.
  • Options

I am not saying some middle men haven't got kit e.g. the former reality tv show property developer did, but would you buy sight unseen a load of masks that such an individual says they can get for you in a few weeks if you give them a load of cash and don't ask any questions?
    Ask eadric. :wink:
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

And finally had someone pointing out the folly of discharging sick patients into care.

Hopefully your article from a couple of days ago has sparked some new questions at least.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Tony Lloyd (Rochdale MP) moved out of ICU

https://twitter.com/FaisalRana48/status/1253056612236918785?s=20
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,328

TGOHF666 said:

Err London effect?
    I know...that is why i was taking the piss. Did any of these people do a STEM degree?
    No, they don't have STEM degrees. Facts are harsh, probably racist. Didn't you get the memo?
  • Options

Tony Lloyd (Rochdale MP) moved out of ICU

twitter.com/FaisalRana48/status/1253056612236918785?s=20

Must be a tough old bugger...we aren't allowed to say he is a fighter...
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    eadric said:

Nigelb said:

*winks*

Meet me in the car park in Penarth Tesco Extra

Got some spare gym equipment, too
    Now gym gear, must be worth more than gear...I was quoted £65 for a new kettlebell yesterday. 65 bloody quid.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Sooner or later it is going to have to come down to individuals taking whatever risk they are comfortable with. The sooner that happens the better as we do need to get the economy up and running again. Open things up gradually from the beginning of May and as long as the NHS can cope with any fallout let those that want to get back to normal do so and let those that don't stay in.

Personally we shall not be doing much different than now for a very long time as it's clear listening to some of the comments on PB that the first ones out and about partying etc will not be paying the slightest attention to any remaining restrictions because they don't feel much threatened by getting the virus.

Those of us who really don't want to get ill will have no choice but to stay well clear. No restaurants, pubs, sports grounds, cinemas etc because you know that significant numbers of people you will be with can't be trusted to have behaved responsibly. That is why I expect the economy will remain trashed for a very long time whatever action is taken
  • Options
    eadric said:

Nigelb said:

*winks*

Penarth is big enough for a Tesco Extra? That's my surprise of the day.
  • Options

RobD said:

Somebody answer this.

Is your fart an aerosol?
    Oooh - Pb.com Mum Curry-off!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gtcBlwZPOo
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Nigelb said:

*winks*

Now gym gear, must be worth more than gear...I was quoted £65 for a new kettlebell yesterday. 65 bloody quid.
    Of my prescient pre corona purchases, the one I am most proud of is my exercise bike. About £50 in mid February, coz I realised exercise might be constricted

Now...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sportstech-professional-Exercise-flywheel-support/dp/B07JYYGFCJ
    I luckily had stuff I needed, but because I am working out every day, I could do with a heavier kettlebells to make it a bit more challenging. Just going to have to make do with what I have.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,548
    Just got a message from Betfair saying they're restoring the next Conservative leader and Boris Johnson markets tomorrow.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    eadric said:

TGOHF666 said:
    How many years?
    There is a larger question here. It will soon become apparent - if it isn’t already - that Scottish independence is not remotely likely for the foreseeable future. Global economics will dictate this, no wild political adventures will be affordable for half a decade, at the very least.

And Scotland will be heavily reliant on England, to boot.

In that light, what happens to Scottish politics? What is the SNP for, if not INDY?

We could see a major fracturing in Holyrood. And perhaps even an unlikely revival of Scottish Labour
    In the shorter term, how popular is the SNP going to be if the Scottish Government says "ok, we in Scotland went into lockdown at the same time despite us being earlier into our 'curve' than e.g. London, but even though the rest of the UK is coming out you're still staying in it?"

Either wildly popular because the general public still believes lockdown is important and necessary right now, or wildly unpopular because everyone's utterly sick of lockdown. I honestly don't know which any more
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

It is a fair subject and needs dealing with
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Just got a message from Betfair saying they're restoring the next Conservative leader and Boris Johnson markets tomorrow.

Jeremy Hunt
  • Options

Which bit of that did he take issue with ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I am not sure he gave a full breakdown of why. Might well be beyond us non-medical plebs.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192
    edited April 2020
    NY Times:

"A doctor says he was removed from his federal post after pressing for rigorous vetting of hydrochloriquine treatments embraced by President Trump."
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Nigelb said:

Good to hear.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    Maybe they don't like the idea of wanting everyone to back to work to spread a virus that is very lethal to people their age. Or maybe they are particularly offended at the idea that forgetting your words sometimes means you have dementia.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I am not sure he gave a full breakdown of why. Might well be beyond us non-medical plebs.
    I remember his being sceptical of the HAPE comparison, but this story appears quite straightforward. Though as you say, this yokel could be missing something.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936
    For those of you who like the natural world, folk music and poetry, on youtube right now you can listen to Singing with Nightingales live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr3CVt5paTM
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I remember his being sceptical of the HAPE comparison, but this story appears quite straightforward. Though as you say, this yokel could be missing something.
    I might also be confusing things and got it wrong.

If true, we (and lots of other countries) are basically making a massive mistake. By the time people feel that unwell that they call 999, they have missed vital hours.

It would also make the idea of housing all CV patients in dorms and monitoring them a much more effective treatment protocol.
  • Options
    This paper looks very interesting.

The SARS-CoV-2 receptor-binding domain elicits a potent neutralizing response without antibody-dependent enhancement
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.10.036418v1
    The SARS-coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) spike (S) protein mediates entry of SARS-CoV-2 into cells expressing the angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2). The S protein engages ACE2 through its receptor-binding domain (RBD), an independently folded 197-amino acid fragment of the 1273-amino acid S-protein protomer. Antibodies to the RBD domain of SARS-CoV (SARS-CoV-1), a closely related coronavirus which emerged in 2002-2003, have been shown to potently neutralize SARS-CoV-1 S-protein-mediated entry, and the presence of anti-RBD antibodies correlates with neutralization in SARS-CoV-2 convalescent sera. Here we show that immunization with the SARS-CoV-2 RBD elicits a robust neutralizing antibody response in rodents, comparable to 100 µg/ml of ACE2-Ig, a potent SARS-CoV-2 entry inhibitor. Importantly, anti-sera from immunized animals did not mediate antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE) of S-protein-mediated entry under conditions in which Zika virus ADE was readily observed. These data suggest that an RBD-based vaccine for SARS-CoV-2 could be safe and effective.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

You are the last person who needs to apologise for this Nigel. Your piece a couple of days ago should be compulsory reading for all decision makers.
    Thanks, Richard (and Max & Big_G).

Definitely OT, though. :smile:
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1253008032658751489

Don't even think about a come back. Thanks.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    edited April 2020
    OllyT said:

Those of us who really don't want to get ill will have no choice but to stay well clear. No restaurants, pubs, sports grounds, cinemas etc because you know that significant numbers of people you will be with can't be trusted to have behaved responsibly. That is why I expect the economy will remain trashed for a very long time whatever action is taken

One thing that would be useful to think about is: What's the effect on the economy of closing anywhere with a confined, badly-ventilated space where people gather for the foreseeable future? Restaurants, pubs, cinemas, some offices depending on layout - that's a non-trivial proportion of the economy, but also not an overwhelming one.
  • Options
    I'm quite happy to stay out of pubs and restaurants for a few months more. But I want to be able to go to the countryside, with a picnic, and walk up a hill. I promise not to get too close to anyone not in my household.
    But I have exhausted all the places to go within walking distance of where I live.
  • Options

Why has he got two pairs of glasses?
  • Options

Reading and for far away, perhaps?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719
    Great news, he's been in a while.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719

About as much backing as he got from the PLP over the years being the obvious joke of the photo.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

MaxPB said:

eadric said:

TGOHF666 said:

No irony detectives at thes=21

?
    They want Westminster to finance furlough indefinitely if Nippy decides Scotland wants to skive off for longer.

I thought it was generally a nationalist paper?
  • Options

I'm tempted to start on about rose tinted.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

This paper looks very interesting.

The SARS-CoV-2 receptor-binding domain elicits a potent neutralizing response without antibody-dependent enhancement
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.10.036418v1
    The SARS-coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) spike (S) protein mediates entry of SARS-CoV-2 into cells expressing the angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2). The S protein engages ACE2 through its receptor-binding domain (RBD), an independently folded 197-amino acid fragment of the 1273-amino acid S-protein protomer. Antibodies to the RBD domain of SARS-CoV (SARS-CoV-1), a closely related coronavirus which emerged in 2002-2003, have been shown to potently neutralize SARS-CoV-1 S-protein-mediated entry, and the presence of anti-RBD antibodies correlates with neutralization in SARS-CoV-2 convalescent sera. Here we show that immunization with the SARS-CoV-2 RBD elicits a robust neutralizing antibody response in rodents, comparable to 100 µg/ml of ACE2-Ig, a potent SARS-CoV-2 entry inhibitor. Importantly, anti-sera from immunized animals did not mediate antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE) of S-protein-mediated entry under conditions in which Zika virus ADE was readily observed. These data suggest that an RBD-based vaccine for SARS-CoV-2 could be safe and effective.

Farzan, the lead author on the paper just gave an online lecture from the Scripps Institute (one of the leading US research centres.

Interesting listening...
    Very optimistic about an effective vaccine:
    If HIV is a genius, and flu is an honours student...
    SARS-CoV-2 flunked immunology 101...

From about 8 mins in.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjc1EIMQIwA
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

One thing that would be useful to think about is: What's the effect on the economy of closing anywhere with a confined, badly-ventilated space where people gather for the foreseeable future?

Are you thinking of closing the House of Commons?
This discussion has been closed.