Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Monday night PB Nighthawks cafe with some positive news ab

SystemSystem Posts: 11,009
edited April 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Monday night PB Nighthawks cafe with some positive news about a vaccine

As just about the whole world waits for a vaccine to be available there’s some positive new tonight about what’s going on in Oxford in the New York Times. The report notes that:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    edited April 2020
    1st

And good news
  • Options
    First and maybe very good news
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Got to hope for once that this second rate institution comes up with the goods.
  • Options
    Looks like second for me tonight
  • Options
    You cannot even think how anyone can spout such pathetic nonsense
  • Options
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    The Oxford project has been in the news for a little while, of course.

The more notable thing is the Yank version of The Graun saying something vaguely positive about a story connected to Britain. I'm not sure when that last happened - probably at some point prior to June 23rd 2016.

Anyhow, we can but hope that they strike it lucky: as I understand it, trying to develop a vaccine for any disease seems to involve a substantial element of luck.
  • Options
    Not had a drink in over 2 months now.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

You cannot even think how anyone can spout such pathetic nonsense
    Politically-addled mind.
  • Options
    More stories of blood clotting and strokes...

https://youtu.be/22Bn8jsGI54
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,255
    edited April 2020
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

The call to prayer echoes across sunny west London.

Imagine if this is accepted. Now imagine that we accept it five times a day, the first at 5am

https://twitter.com/ainajkhan/status/1254006040280158209?s=21

I don't have a problem with it, just as I don't have a problem with church bells chiming every hour and ringing every Sunday
    You haven’t travelled much, have you? The call to prayer is very intrusive and divisive, where it is allowed in multicultural countries

In India it’s one of the main causes of Hindu-Islamic tension, which has led to horrible violence. Hindus often cite it as one reason they dislike their Muslim neighbours.

I’d rather we avoided Indian style anger. Because that noise, heard 5 times a day, every day, for the rest of your life, drives people nuts
    I heard it regularly when I was in Bethlehem and Nablus only last year.

If we are a nation which allows religious freedom, as we do, then that has to include allowing full respect for religious tradition, whether Christian, Muslim, Jewish or Hindu and in areas with a large Muslim population such as London that would include the call to prayer from Mosques
    So you’d be OK with it five times a day, every day, starting at dawn, for the rest of time?

How about the rights of non-Muslims in that neighbourhood not to have this wailing enforced on them?

Lots of Muslims dislike the imposition of the call to prayer, and think it is too much via loudspeakers.
    Yes, in East London and Birmingham up to half of the local population or more is Muslim in some areas so there would be strong demand for the call to prayer from the local mosque.

If we allow non-Muslims to stop the call to prayer we could also end up with non-Christians stopping the ringing of church bells in country villages and market towns
    And what about the half of people who aren’t Muslim? Are they allowed to object to a very loud wailing waking them up every day at 5am? Or do they have to accept it because it is ‘religious’
    If they don't like it move out of East London, to Richmond on Thames or the Home Counties for example where the Muslim population is very small, not that difficult
    Ah. So the non Muslims who don’t like it should just move. Out of their own neighbourhood. Brilliant.

And what if they move to a small Home Counties town, well stocked with hot broth, but Muslims move in next door and start praying? Where do they move then? America? The moon?
    I don't have a problem with Hare Krishna people doing stupid singing. I don't have a problem with Hasidic Jews wearing odd outfits. I don't have a problem with people spilling out of nightclubs at 3am off their faces.

This is a free country. If they're not harming anyone, people can do what the fuck they like.
    My god. The stupid on here is intense tonight.

The call to prayer is entirely different to Jews in bloody dreadlocks. It is a significant and constant intrusion INTO your daily life, whether you like it or not. You can’t avoid it.

I can only presume that the Pb-ers who happily accept this have never spent serious time in Muslim countries so they don’t know what the F they are talking about

Like I said. I find the prayer haunting and beautiful, but if you’re living in a flat next to a mosque and it happens five times a day, deafeningly loud. your attitude might sour
    I went to the 2005 G8 protests in Scotland, ended up sleeping in a tent in a public park the night after. Sometime in the early morning light a small group of people turned a generator on and a very loud music system, kept the whole lot of us awake for the sake of a dozen people enjoying a party.

That right pissed me off, got myself into a scuffle after pulling plugs out of sockets. Heard later that some greater hero had killed their generator with sugar.

I'm not having anyone waking me up at an ungodly hour.
    Indeed. Broken sleep can send people mad with anger.

Some of the nastiest household arguments I’ve witnessed have happened when someone shattered the sleep of someone else.

The problem in India is serious, it’s an obvious source of friction

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/life/hindu-hardliners-want-india-ban-on-muslim-call-to-prayer/152096

That would have absolutely nothing to do with the anti-muslim government of India. No, nothing at all. Look - squirrel!
    The Indian government is bigoted. Would never deny that. But the call to prayer is a genuine grievance for many Hindus. There are hundreds of news articles about it, here’s just one

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2019/05/22/in-an-indian-village-muslims-talk-of-leaving-as-divide-with-hindus-widens.html
    The Indian government is led by a chap whose private army consists of these wonderful chaps -

All they need is to change the shorts to some black ones...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I’m an ageing devotee of house and techno.

Presumably you’ll be defending my rights to follow my religion when I bomb into the middle of Epping Forest with a giant sound system and blast out Underworld at 100 decibels at 2355 on Friday evenings?

No unless you have thousands attending your blast on Friday evenings as attend London Mosques
    Why do numbers matter? If its OK for one it is OK for all. It is fundamentally unBritish to say otherwise.
    No, the whole point of religion is community worship in part, blasting a loudspeaker for your own amusement only in breach of noise regulations does not encompass that
    Worship of repetitive beats at 128bpm is as valid as any other.
    I 100% agree.

And if I and hundreds of my compatriots wish to drink in a pubs beer garden celebrating Our Church of Coors Light with repeated Holy Communions of Jagerbombs into the early hours with loud music playing is that acceptable? There are more regular visitors to many a popular bar than there are to many a Church.

I see no difference between that and any other worship. Either noise regulations matter or they don't.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Presumably you’ll be defending my rights to follow my religion when I bomb into the middle of Epping Forest with a giant sound system and blast out Underworld at 100 decibels at 2355 on Friday evenings?

No unless you have thousands attending your blast on Friday evenings as attend London Mosques
    Why do numbers matter? If its OK for one it is OK for all. It is fundamentally unBritish to say otherwise.
    No, the whole point of religion is community worship in part, blasting a loudspeaker for your own amusement only in breach of noise regulations does not encompass that
    I 100% agree.

And if I and hundreds of my compatriots wish to drink in a pubs beer garden celebrating Our Church of Coors Light with repeated Holy Communions of Jagerbombs into the early hours with loud music playing is that acceptable? There are more regular visitors to many a popular bar than there are to many a Church.

I see no difference between that and any other worship. Either noise regulations matter or they don't.
    Does it have to be Coors Light, or is one allowed to drink actual beer?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    The Ivermectin story is getting interesting too. Needs some proper prospective studies, but promising.

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1254756320433049602?s=09
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I 100% agree.

One shall be free to worship with one's holy nectar of choice.

But not Fosters. **** Fosters that is a heresy.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:
    There various kind of academics in the City of Oxford.

1) Those who have a full time position at the University of Oxford
    2) Those who have a minor, part time gig at the University of Oxford
    3) Those who have a full time position at Oxford Brookes University
    4) Those who have a minor, part time gig at Oxford Brookes University
    etc
    etc
    etc
    4364274623834) Those who have some kind of teaching gig at Oxford Brookes, but accidentally make it seem as if they teach at Oxford University
    4364274623835) Jeffery Archer
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I 100% agree.

Remember if you're driving, stick to Coors light.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I 100% agree.

Why because you have one sip and pour the rest down the toilet?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I 100% agree.

If you are driving,don't drink period.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I 100% agree.

On which line of seasoning is it acceptable to require the neighbours to be quiet so Buddhists can meditate? Thought not.
  • Options
    US mass market domestic beers with a couple of exceptions are undrinkable. Always make me chuckle when the hipsters all went crazy for Pabst Blue Ribbon.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,911
    MaxPB said:
    The key worker gags are up next
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Foxy said:

The Ivermectin story is getting interesting too. Needs some proper prospective studies, but promising.

This link thinks it has been trialled and found to be effective on 704 actual CV patients

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20200425/p2a/00m/0na/007000c

I am happy to be able to say I have 5 horse sized doses of the stuff.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,480
    edited April 2020
    Does the increase in alcohol consumption take account of the absence of people drinking in pubs and restaurants?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I 100% agree.

On which line of seasoning is it acceptable to require the neighbours to be quiet so Buddhists can meditate? Thought not.
    You can meditate by focusing on the background noise.

However the meditation bell isn't so fecking loud that it wakes the neighbourhood.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,804

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I 100% agree.

I have to say, I'd prefer 'full stop' or, at very least, more punctuation in that particular sentence.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    These are going to be ugly - that's the peak period. Another 10k excess deaths maybe.

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1254876273005953026
  • Options
    Icelandic scentists says CV was widespread in the UK very early.

https://youtu.be/JPJqnTZgahU
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I 100% agree.

Or pernod.

That's one mean drink for next-day danger.....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    Oxford. Right on the vaccine. Right on the hypothesis as to how many people have had it without noticing?

Let's hope so.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    The greatest American President in the history of all time is about to give us his wisdom.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,976
    edited April 2020

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Imagine if this is accepted. Now imagine that we accept it five times a day, the first at 5am

I don't have a problem with it, just as I don't have a problem with church bells chiming every hour and ringing every Sunday
    You haven’t travelled much, have you? The call to prayer is very intrusive and divisive, where it is allowed in multicultural countries

In India it’s one of the main causes of Hindu-Islamic tension, which has led to horrible violence. Hindus often cite it as one reason they dislike their Muslim neighbours.

I’d rather we avoided Indian style anger. Because that noise, heard 5 times a day, every day, for the rest of your life, drives people nuts

If we are a nation which allows religious freedom, as we do, then that has to include allowing full respect for religious tradition, whether Christian, Muslim, Jewish or Hindu and in areas with a large Muslim population such as London that would include the call to prayer from Mosques
    So you’d be OK with it five times a day, every day, starting at dawn, for the rest of time?

How about the rights of non-Muslims in that neighbourhood not to have this wailing enforced on them?

Lots of Muslims dislike the imposition of the call to prayer, and think it is too much via loudspeakers.
    Yes, in East London and Birmingham up to half of the local population or more is Muslim in some areas so there would be strong demand for the call to prayer from the local mosque.

If we allow non-Muslims to stop the call to prayer we could also end up with non-Christians stopping the ringing of church bells in country villages and market towns
    And what about the half of people who aren’t Muslim? Are they allowed to object to a very loud wailing waking them up every day at 5am? Or do they have to accept it because it is ‘religious’
    If they don't like it move out of East London, to Richmond on Thames or the Home Counties for example where the Muslim population is very small, not that difficult
    Ah. So the non Muslims who don’t like it should just move. Out of their own neighbourhood. Brilliant.

And what if they move to a small Home Counties town, well stocked with hot broth, but Muslims move in next door and start praying? Where do they move then? America? The moon?
    I don't have a problem with Hare Krishna people doing stupid singing. I don't have a problem with Hasidic Jews wearing odd outfits. I don't have a problem with people spilling out of nightclubs at 3am off their faces.

This is a free country. If they're not harming anyone, people can do what the fuck they like.

The call to prayer is entirely different to Jews in bloody dreadlocks. It is a significant and constant intrusion INTO your daily life, whether you like it or not. You can’t avoid it.

I can only presume that the Pb-ers who happily accept this have never spent serious time in Muslim countries so they don’t know what the F they are talking about

Like I said. I find the prayer haunting and beautiful, but if you’re living in a flat next to a mosque and it happens five times a day, deafeningly loud. your attitude might sour
    I went to the 2005 G8 protests in Scotland, ended up sleeping in a tent in a public park the night after. Sometime in the early morning light a small group of people turned a generator on and a very loud music system, kept the whole lot of us awake for the sake of a dozen people enjoying a party.

That right pissed me off, got myself into a scuffle after pulling plugs out of sockets. Heard later that some greater hero had killed their generator with sugar.

Some of the nastiest household arguments I’ve witnessed have happened when someone shattered the sleep of someone else.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/life/hindu-hardliners-want-india-ban-on-muslim-call-to-prayer/152096

That would have absolutely nothing to do with the anti-muslim government of India. No, nothing at all. Look - squirrel!
    The Indian government is bigoted. Would never deny that. But the call to prayer is a genuine grievance for many Hindus. There are hundreds of news articles about it, here’s just one

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2019/05/22/in-an-indian-village-muslims-talk-of-leaving-as-divide-with-hindus-widens.html
    The Indian government is led by a chap whose private army consists of these wonderful chaps -

Probably need some corsets also.
    Not sure how effective a paramilitary force those chubsters would make.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

The greatest American President in the history of all time is about to give us his wisdom.

Is The Donald having a day off?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I 100% agree.

Who drinks periods?
  • Options
    Have to say I'm rather unimpressed by the giant state aid from France to it's big companies. It's one of the reasons why their economy is shite. The shareholders need to be funding these companies, the state aid needs to be banned by the EU in double quick time or we will need to protect our companies from being bought out by foreign ones using state backing.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I 100% agree.

Who drinks periods?
    Vampires.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,675
    CatMan said:

William Henry Harrison is alive?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

This link thinks it has been trialled and found to be effective on 704 actual CV patients

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20200425/p2a/00m/0na/007000c

I am happy to be able to say I have 5 horse sized doses of the stuff.
    Sounds enough for a few decades!

The 704 was a retrospective study, but interesting nonetheless.

Cures your lice at the same time. What more could a fella want?
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

LOL - I was thinking exactly same thing - not at peak fitness are they
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Does the increase in alcohol consumption take account of the absence of people drinking in pubs and restaurants?
    I used to go to pubs a couple of times a month at most. Now that we're locked down I'm at least half cut every Friday and Saturday night. And judging by what my friends and colleagues tell me I could be considered a bit of a lightweight...

This Oxford trial gives a very very best case scenario of a vaccine signed off in September so realistically its 12 months to go before its widespread. Which means 2m spacing buggering up so much of our lives for a long time to come. If that doesn't deserve a wee dram then what does?
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Did Trump get impeached whilst I was not looking?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

CatMan said:

William Henry Harrison is alive?
    He is in cartoon land
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8N7BSsU5oo
  • Options
    felix said:
    Bonkers. This attempt to import US culture wars to Britain should be resisted.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,317
    Someone posted an interesting image here recently of people living in the era of Spanish flu who were wearing masks.

It puts me in mind of New Labour’s catastrophic Foot and Mouth disease response, where they simply forgot to read the report into the 1960s outbreak, which would have told them that the pyres were unnecessary, and a whole lot of other useful information.

Though Spanish flu is not a direct equivalent of coronavirus, nevertheless I wonder if there are contemporary official reports and studies that our scientists and politicians should read.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I used to go to pubs a couple of times a month at most. Now that we're locked down I'm at least half cut every Friday and Saturday night. And judging by what my friends and colleagues tell me I could be considered a bit of a lightweight...

This Oxford trial gives a very very best case scenario of a vaccine signed off in September so realistically its 12 months to go before its widespread. Which means 2m spacing buggering up so much of our lives for a long time to come. If that doesn't deserve a wee dram then what does?
    By the end of all this the population will consist largely of obese alcoholics on the one hand, and hyper-fit marathon runners and road cyclists on the other. In a ratio of about fifty of the former to every one of the latter, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,583

Someone posted an interesting image here recently of people living in the era of Spanish flu who were wearing masks.

It puts me in mind of New Labour’s catastrophic Foot and Mouth disease response, where they simply forgot to read the report into the 1960s outbreak, which would have told them that the pyres were unnecessary, and a whole lot of other useful information.

Though Spanish flu is not a direct equivalent of coronavirus, nevertheless I wonder if there are contemporary official reports and studies that our scientists and politicians should read.

You think our epidemiologists don't know about or haven't studied the Spanish flu pandemic?
  • Options
    "Sky's Ashish Joshi looks at how lockdown fatigue is starting to set in throughout the UK."

Its like the government behavioural scientists might have known a thing or two.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I 100% agree.

The government's don't drink and drive campaign vs the legal alcohol limits for driving neatly illustrates the distinction between the Coronavirus advice and the Coronavirus law.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

//twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1254881792726896644

Shocked I tell you, shocked...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,675
    Andrew said:
    Eh, that's pretty close. Overpromised, but hit it a week late and when people may be feeling a bit more positive as they think the peak has passed, and it can be blustered through.
  • Options

"Sky's Ashish Joshi looks at how lockdown fatigue is starting to set in throughout the UK."

This. 100 x this.
  • Options
    Floater said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

LOL - I was thinking exactly same thing - not at peak fitness are they
    One of the reasons that Speer designed this -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_Light

Was that you average Nazi was a bit fat and didn't cut an altogether Aryan figure. The dark combined with the brilliant lighting (contrast) of what he wanted to show hid this...

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I 100% agree.

Who drinks periods?

There is someone out there who does.. they walk amongst us...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andrew said:
    Eh, that's pretty close. Overpromised, but hit it a week late and when people may be feeling a bit more positive as they think the peak has passed, and it can be blustered through.
    If they had promised 50k or 75k, would anybody have cared? The 100k was a stupid arbitrary amount and Hancock is going to get it in the neck for it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andrew said:
    If they had promised 50k or 75k, would anybody have cared? The 100k was a stupid arbitrary amount and Hancock is going to get it in the neck for it.
    Survivable.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I 100% agree.

Who drinks periods?

There is someone out there who does.. they walk amongst us...
    They don't just walk...
    https://twitter.com/SenatorReid/status/1254836730546384897?s=20
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

kle4 said:

Andrew said:
    At least he didn't promise to die in a ditch if the target wasn't hit.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,215

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Have they attacked Jews?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    No, it really is about age...

The Government thinks us over-70s are 'vulnerable' - but this is about attitude, not age

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/government-thinks-us-over-70s-vulnerable-attitude-not-age/

I am getting a bit sick of these oldies going but but but but I am dead fit for my age I am. Great, good for you, but for CV, you are still at massive risk, so get in your bloody house and stay there.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,583
    Does anyone believe Russia has done > 3 million tests?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Options

Well given when interviewed the scientists contradicted themselves and didn't know how accurate they were...erhhhhh.....no.
  • Options
    Stable genius is now speaking
  • Options

The Government thinks us over-70s are 'vulnerable' - but this is about attitude, not age

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/government-thinks-us-over-70s-vulnerable-attitude-not-age/

I am getting a bit sick of these oldies going but but but but I am dead fit for my age I am. Great, good for you, but for CV, you are still at massive risk, so get in your bloody house and stay there.

Good luck with that message. There is no way the over 70s, baby boomers are going to stay in their houses for another 12 months.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

I thought he had stopped doing this every night as he was killing his polling.
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Have they attacked Jews?
    I suspect they would if there were more than an insignificant Jeswish presence in India. After all they attack all other religious minorities, but particularly Muslims.

They are ISIS in saffron.
  • Options

Good luck with that message. There is no way the over 70s, baby boomers are going to stay in their houses for another 12 months.
    Well as long as they are happy not to be given a CPAP mask or a ventilator when they get it...
  • Options

CatMan said:

I thought he had stopped doing this every night as he was killing his polling.
    I'm guessing Trump isn't able to process that information in his brain.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    edited April 2020

My 55 year old male friend was hit miles harder by this virus than others I know who are younger. He's fitter than all of them.
    Raw biological age, regardless of other health or fitness is a bloody big factor in this.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    I just looked at my Facebook newsfeed (often a bad idea). It seems like the anti vaccine types are getting very worked up. Tons of stuff about bill Gates taking over the world, planning to kill everyone, all kinds of weird shit.

What's going on? Is it the sight of the rest of the world publicly hoping for a vaccine for Covid to arrive as soon as possible that has tipped them over the edge?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

By the end of all this the population will consist largely of obese alcoholics on the one hand, and hyper-fit marathon runners and road cyclists on the other. In a ratio of about fifty of the former to every one of the latter, I'm afraid.
    I am running and cycling most days. And am doing push ups / sit ups etc as well. But yes. Snacky goodness and the sauce isn't helping. But fundamentally I know that this lockdown is knackering me mentally. Some beers chatting with friends on a screen is genuinely one thing in the week I look forward to. Some weeks it has been the only bright spot.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Nope.

UAE figures are complete fiction too.
  • Options

Self-isolation is dreadful and they're being confronted with the possibility of having to keep this going for a year, two years, God alone knows how long. It's no wonder they're screaming blue murder.

We also know that, according to the latest figures from Italy, the vast bulk of Covid-19 fatalities are amongst the over 70s (bring that down to the over 60s and the figure is about 96%.)

We're told that we can't ease the lockdown because it will lead to a tsunami wave of new cases, and we're told that we can't maintain the lockdown because the economy will implode. A compromise involving splitting the population in two and letting the younger age cohorts go back to something vaguely resembling normal life, whilst ordering the oldies to stay at home, might turn out to be the least worst of the available selection of bad options.
  • Options

but, but, but we should have locked down earlier .....
  • Options

Self-isolation is dreadful and they're being confronted with the possibility of having to keep this going for a year, two years, God alone knows how long. It's no wonder they're screaming blue murder.

We also know that, according to the latest figures from Italy, the vast bulk of Covid-19 fatalities are amongst the over 70s (bring that down to the over 60s and the figure is about 96%.)

We're told that we can't ease the lockdown because it will lead to a tsunami wave of new cases, and we're told that we can't maintain the lockdown because the economy will implode. A compromise involving splitting the population in two and letting the younger age cohorts go back to something vaguely resembling normal life, whilst ordering the oldies to stay at home, might turn out to be the least worst of the available selection of bad options.
    Unfortunately, when Ferguson was asked about this, he said pre-lockdown it wasn't a viable option as too many oldies require interaction with younger people for every day services. His model said 100k would die even if 80% of oldies never came into contact with youngsters if it was spreading widely.

The same problems exist post-lockdown. There would have to be some huge adjustments to shield a very high % of oldies.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    Foxy said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Have they attacked Jews?
    I suspect they would if there were more than an insignificant Jeswish presence in India. After all they attack all other religious minorities, but particularly Muslims.

Very much based on European fascist movements rather than ISIS
  • Options

You think our epidemiologists don't know about or haven't studied the Spanish flu pandemic?
    The experts in the late 90's didn't bother looking in the filing cabinet for the 1960's report. So I think it's highly possible, yes.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,034

Lots of Darwin award candidates out there.

https://twitter.com/ClarkeMicah/status/1254789880137187328
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,034

The experts in the late 90's didn't bother looking in the filing cabinet for the 1960's report. So I think it's highly possible, yes.
    Have you written to the experts yet to tell them about your idea of using coronavirus suppositories as a vaccine?
  • Options
    kamski said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Have they attacked Jews?

An Indian friend mentions that they will attack Christians, if there aren't any Muslims conveniently available as victims.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Mildly interesting fact.

There is a strong correlation between size of a country’s economy and the number of deaths.

Of the largest 20 economies (according to wiki, by GDP) fully 15 are in the top 20 for total deaths.

Of course big economies contain more people, so that’s expected. But 15 out of 20 is impressive. The ones missing are Oz, Korea, Japan, Indonesia (hmm) and Saudi

This suggests that being plugged into the global economy, thus creating wealth, is a central determinant of how bad a country is hit. So far. Unless you are East Asian.

Countries who have been rich for a long time = established healthcare system where people live longer....and in the West bad diets = fatties, heart disease, diabetes....
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Nope.

UAE figures are complete fiction too.

I could imagine that Russia have done 3 million tests.

With something like this -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADE_651
  • Options

kamski said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Have they attacked Jews?

An Indian friend mentions that they will attack Christians, if there aren't any Muslims conveniently available as victims.
    Bullshit.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Have you written to the experts yet to tell them about your idea of using coronavirus suppositories as a vaccine?
    Amazing. I must have missed that gem the first time around.

It's a ridiculous argument, anyway. The experts are pretty clear that wearing masks would help; it's primarily a question of whether we have enough of a supply, without endangering health service workers (well, more than they already are).

Plus a side helping of whether, culturally, people have the discipline to wear them properly, or if they'll be as much harm as help if people keep taking them off to snack on the train or talk to people.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    eadric said:

Mildly interesting fact.

There is a strong correlation between size of a country’s economy and the number of deaths.

Of the largest 20 economies (according to wiki, by GDP) fully 15 are in the top 20 for total deaths.

Of course big economies contain more people, so that’s expected. But 15 out of 20 is impressive. The ones missing are Oz, Korea, Japan, Indonesia (hmm) and Saudi

This suggests that being plugged into the global economy, thus creating wealth, is a central determinant of how bad a country is hit. So far. Unless you are East Asian.

hmm indeed about Indonesia, there are graphs about suggesting that Jakarta has had a huge jump in total death numbers. Beyond that I'm afraid the most likely theory is that developed nations got it first because there is so much more travel to them.
  • Options

Unfortunately, when Ferguson was asked about this, he said pre-lockdown it wasn't a viable option as too many oldies require interaction with younger people for every day services. His model said 100k would die even if 80% of oldies never came into contact with youngsters if it was spreading widely.

The same problems exist post-lockdown. There would have to be some huge adjustments to shield a very high % of oldies.
    That being the case, I don't suppose he had any constructive suggestions as to how else we are actually meant to avoid the mass death of elderly people at the end of all this? We can't let everyone out because the whole thing will kick off again, we can't let younger people out whilst older people continue to self-isolate because it allegedly won't work (and there'll be caterwauling about unfairness, and the oldies might rebel anyway,) and we can't keep everyone locked up indefinitely because the economy will collapse and take everything else down with it (assuming that we don't all collectively rebel against it before things get that far.)

This doesn't appear to leave much in the way of other options...
  • Options

Aw, don't be bitter, one day nature might grant you an idea beyond rejoining the EU.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Foxy said:

What news on the covid bad for kids email Doc?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    eadric said:

Mildly interesting fact.

Because people from those 15 countries travel abroad more frequently?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Mildly interesting fact.

Countries who have been rich for a long time = established healthcare system where people live longer....and in the West bad diets = fatties, heart disease, diabetes....
    Also big economies will have more trade and interaction with China, and more mobile domestic and foreign populations, to spread the disease early
    Oh absolutely. We only have to look at Mr Super Spreader, travel to Far East for conference, then straight off skiiing in the Alps, before back home. 3 countries, 2 weeks, dozen+ infected.

It is also why I think outside of South Korea, Australia have done the best of all the developed countries. Strong links to China, huge amount of travel from citizens going to places in Asia (and the rest of the world), and densely populated in the major cities.

Also I seemed to remember a not insignificant amount of cases were linked to some Australians who had gone all the way to Italy skiing.
  • Options

kamski said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Have they attacked Jews?

Do you have any evidence of that - and do they report any violence by Muslims in India?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Mildly interesting fact.

Also big economies will have more trade and interaction with China, and more mobile domestic and foreign populations, to spread the disease early
    Oh absolutely. We only have to look at Mr Super Spreader, travel to Far East for conference, then straight off skiiing in the Alps, before back home. 3 countries, 2 weeks, dozen+ infected.

It is also why I think outside of Korea, Australia have done the best of all the developed countries. Strong links to China, huge amount of travel from citizens across Asia, densely populated in the major cities.
    Yes. Oz has done very well. A fact which has perplexed and largely silenced my left wing Aussie friends, who regard their prime minister as an antipodean trump/Boris

That said, it may just be luck. Spanish flu hit the northern hemisphere first. Then went south for summer.
    It will be interesting to know what transmission rate was like in Australia. It did seem that for a number of weeks that all cases were imported or very close circle. Now that is obviously contact tracing doing its job, but even so.

Perhaps in places like US, UK, Italy, it was around a lot earlier (Icelandic Recode guy was saying he thinks it was widespread in the UK a lot earlier than the stats are showing), and in Australia got lucky and didn't get it imported as quickly, but also perhaps there was an element of it not spreading as easily because of the time of year.
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

Mildly interesting fact.

It is also why I think outside of Korea, Australia have done the best of all the developed countries. Strong links to China, huge amount of travel from citizens across Asia, densely populated in the major cities.
    Australia and New Zealand have also benefited from not being in the Goldilocks zone, as far as we can tell, in terms of the temperature and humidity for the virus to flourish in March/April. Not saying they haven't also done well in policy terms, but it's probably a factor.

In terms of richer countries being more affected, I think we also need to take figures in less developed areas with a huge pinch of salt. Poorer countries are less likely to have universal healthcare, and deaths are more likely to happen at home and not show up in figures. They are also more likely to have governments with weaker independent agencies and greater ability to manipulate figures. An article in the FT showed "excess deaths" in several places which are out of all proportion with official Coronavirus deaths - there's an underestimate everywhere (care home deaths etc) but are the Ecuador official figures remotely reflective in any way? No chance.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Andrew said:
    100,000 tests a day only a week late? Considering how unbelievable the target sounded a month ago, that's a pretty satisfactory result.
  • Options
    Floater said:

kamski said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Have they attacked Jews?

Do you have any evidence of that - and do they report any violence by Muslims in India?
    Well, they've burnt his church 3 or 4 times*, and murdered a dozen or so people over the years.

*They rebuilt it the last time with very heavy duty reinforced concrete walls and a very light, easily replaceable roof. Apparently, if you make it too fireproof, they would come back with dynamite. So the idea is that the roof will burn and the mob will be happy.
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

Mildly interesting fact.

Australia and New Zealand have also benefited from not being in the Goldilocks zone, as far as we can tell, in terms of the temperature and humidity for the virus to flourish in March/April. Not saying they haven't also done well in policy terms, but it's probably a factor.

In terms of richer countries being more affected, I think we also need to take figures in less developed areas with a huge pinch of salt. Poorer countries are less likely to have universal healthcare, and deaths are more likely to happen at home and not show up in figures. They are also more likely to have governments with weaker independent agencies and greater ability to manipulate figures. An article in the FT showed "excess deaths" in several places which are out of all proportion with official Coronavirus deaths - there's an underestimate everywhere (care home deaths etc) but are the Ecuador official figures remotely reflective in any way? No chance.
    The stories coming out of Brazil makes it appear like it is definitely worse than official figures.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/25/brazil-becoming-coronavirus-hot-spot-as-testing-falters.html
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,911
    Bit slow on the uptake probably.

Who are the tubby goons with khaki shorts and orange flags?
This discussion has been closed.