Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Thinking the Unthinkable – how’s this going to be paid for?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited May 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Thinking the Unthinkable – how’s this going to be paid for?

This is the reaction of many to the pandemic, now stalking many lands. Globalisation – at least as enjoyed over the last few decades – is over, a reset of relations with China, a change to the state’s role to the chagrin of those wanting a small state, low taxes, free markets, borders will not be as open as before etc.,. Well, some or all of this is probably true. Big events do change the political and economic landscape – wars and serious economic shocks certainly do. Whether pandemics do is less clear. The Black Death certainly did. The Spanish flu, however, did not. Nor did the flu pandemics of 1957 (started in China) or 1968 – 1970 (from HK) which, in each case, killed between 1 – 4 million people worldwide and at least 30,00 in the U.K.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Rob_downunderRob_downunder Posts: 128
    On the charity donations, Gift Aid has always seemed a bit suspect to me.

In effect it's the wealthy picking pet causes at the expense of other public services. A good explanation in this article from the FT:

https://www.ft.com/content/1093fcec-187a-11e8-9376-4a6390addb44
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited May 2020
    Policy is represented by a matrix with "works well" on one axis and "sounds good" on the other axis. There's nothing in the "works well and sounds good" quadrant because if there was the last guy would have done it, and nobody's interested in "works badly and sounds bad". So government is normally a process of dutifully trying to squeeze through some "works well but sounds bad" policies, while implementing a minimum of the "works badly but sounds good" policies that you promised to get power.

However, the current PM doesn't like doing unpopular things and at least the time being the bond markets seem happy to lend governments money for free, so although the normal process of government will continue in less important departments, none of CycleFree's excellent suggestions will be implemented and Boris will be all Borrow Borrow Borrow and Money Printer Go Brrr.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250
    Whether charging for going to the doctor is a good idea or not I don't know, but the argument that people can afford to pay vets so why not doctors is really silly.

Also weird that so many suggestions but no mention of a carbon tax, which is anyway a no-brainer even without Covid.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    It's easy to see everything through your own personal experiences but... I'm getting a very strong, haggard Jimmy Carter 1980 vibe.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    edited May 2020
    Moth du Jour: Pale Tussock. A bit late arriving this year.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

Moth du Jour: Pale Tussock. A bit late arriving this year.

Late indeed. At five in the morning, it’s almost light.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited May 2020
    The idea that even the poorest should have to pay income tax due to some moral need for all to contribute is a bit weird. Everyone pays VAT and other universal taxes already.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Late indeed. At five in the morning, it’s almost light.

Have to turn the lure light off in time for them to hide away from the beady eyes of predating birds. In June and July, that means being out by 4.00 am. Recording moths is a great hobby for the insomniac amateur scientist! (You do also get to understand the expression "up with the lark", as they sing whilst it is still dark - truly the first of the dawn chorus.)

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,984
    Off the top of my head, I can think of three openly lesbian/bisexual senators: Wisconsin, Arizona and Iowa.

That's a surprisingly high percentage.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    Long read from Bloomberg, not so much on “who should pay?” but “who shouldn’t?”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-01/scars-of-last-crisis-shape-u-k-debate-over-who-pays-this-time
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,979
    Good morning all. No dancing round the maypole this MayDay unless we can keep 2m apart.

On topic; do public schools get Gift Aid, as other, perhaps more legitimate, charities do?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,073
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,584

Scott_xP said:
    It's easy to see everything through your own personal experiences but... I'm getting a very strong, haggard Jimmy Carter 1980 vibe.
    I don’t recall Carter going with the China conspiracy play as a last desperate electoral gambit.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,231

The idea that even the poorest should have to pay income tax due to some moral need for all to contribute is a bit weird. Everyone pays VAT and other universal taxes already.

The way I've recently started to think about it is that the poor should have enough income to be able to afford to contribute some of it through tax.

If they don't then it's a sign of some combination of their pay not being high enough or their living costs being too high.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,584

Good morning all. No dancing round the maypole this MayDay unless we can keep 2m apart.

On topic; do public schools get Gift Aid, as other, perhaps more legitimate, charities do?

Not really on topic.
    Raise tax on independent schools by all means. But be aware that any significant move will shut a significant number of them down, so is highly unlikely to be a net gain for the exchequer over the next five years at least.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Also weird that so many suggestions but no mention of a carbon tax, which is anyway a no-brainer even without Covid.

A problem with relying on a sin tax is that the government develops a financial interest in the perpetuation of the sin. If we all stop emitting carbon how does the government finance itself then?

This is why I support a carbon tax coupled with a 100% dividend so that the incentives to reduce emissions are there. Or, at the very least, that it only funds government investment in zero carbon alternatives.
  • Options
    I'm trying to think of a tax idea that I would support now, in the changed circumstances, but wouldn't have supported in the time before, and I'm struggling.

Similarly I can't think of an item of government spending that I'd now be prepared to do without that I wound previously have defended.

This changing your mind lark is awfully hard.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,372
    Difficult choices indeed but let's wait and see if they are necessary. Ignore the debt and deficit hawks for the moment. They are usually wrong. Rishi Sunak should not repeat George Osborne's blunder in choking off the recovery inherited from Labour. The challenge will be to resume normal economic activity and growth, not to depress the economy further still.

Sunak's task is made harder because we do not know what will happen as lockdown is eased. People might resume eating out or they might not, for instance. We don't know.

The problem with increased tax on people, on consumers, is by and large we'd like them to carry on, or rather resume, consuming.

There may well be a case for digital transaction taxes or other measures to rebalance the differences between online and high street sales, and for addressing tax arbitrage through artificial licence payments to brass plate subsidiaries, but that was true even before the Covid-19 crisis.

All we do know is this is not a normal market failure to be addressed by government intervention directly at the point of failure. It may be that government assistance can start to move from grants to guaranteed loans and then income-contingent loans but that is for the future. My advice to the Treasury is to do nothing but be prepared to do whatever it takes.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,605

The way I've recently started to think about it is that the poor should have enough income to be able to afford to contribute some of it through tax.

If they don't then it's a sign of some combination of their pay not being high enough or their living costs being too high.
    There is an argument that people do not value what they do not pay for, but I am not convinced that it makes more than a slight effect at the margins.

@edmundintokyo is right. It will be covered by borrowing, probably with central banks picking up the gilts. No one wants to choke off recovery, Hard Brexit is on its way and there are 40 hospitals, HS2 and infrastructure galore that is needed before the next election. Johnson will spaff away.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Not really on topic.
    Raise tax on independent schools by all means. But be aware that any significant move will shut a significant number of them down, so is highly unlikely to be a net gain for the exchequer over the next five years at least.
    There are, surely, 'consequences' of all Ms Cyclefree's thoughts? And if a significant number of independent schools close, might there be more discussion of standards in State schools?
    Over-stating, if your and your family's only experience of school is Eton what is your sub-conscious view of Slough Comp?
    And a similar thought; it's always seemed to me, and this is, I suggest, borne out by current events, that too many opinion formers have little or no experience of 'care of the elderly' especially Care Homes.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

There is an argument that people do not value what they do not pay for
    Wasn't that the thinking behind the poll tax?
  • Options
    If we are thinking the unthinkable, what about a review of in-work benefits? Gordon Brown's critics should look here (and at PFI) instead of ludicrously blaming him for the global financial crisis.

Subsidising rent for lower-paid workers through tax credits is laudable but looked at from another angle inflates housing costs by putting a floor under rental income, and subsidising bad employers (who drive out good ones) is a dubious value proposition anyway.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Not really on topic.
    There are, surely, 'consequences' of all Ms Cyclefree's thoughts? And if a significant number of independent schools close, might there be more discussion of standards in State schools?
    Over-stating, if your and your family's only experience of school is Eton what is your sub-conscious view of Slough Comp?
    And a similar thought; it's always seemed to me, and this is, I suggest, borne out by current events, that too many opinion formers have little or no experience of 'care of the elderly' especially Care Homes.
    The likely loss of overseas students will increase School Bills, and job losses may well mean some kids leaving too. Likely the same effect on universities. Their business models are going to take quite a hit.

Another shrinking bit of the tax base will be migrants returning home. Partly because of job losses (particularly in the hospitality sector) and partly the difficulties of visiting family. Its not just stag parties that fly back for the long weekends on Ryanair.

@rcs1000 has speculated that we may well have net emigration in the near future. I think this might well be the year. 3 of my departmental colleagues have handed in their notice in the last month to return home.
  • Options

Foxy said:

There is an argument that people do not value what they do not pay for
    Wasn't that the thinking behind the poll tax?
    I'm not sure there was a great deal of thinking behind the poll tax. Those who did any thinking at all tried to warn Mrs Thatcher against it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Off the top of my head, I can think of three openly lesbian/bisexual senators: Wisconsin, Arizona and Iowa.

That's a surprisingly high percentage.

Interesting but what's it got to do with moths?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    We are all going to be paying more tax and we’ll be borrowing a shedload more. The interesting bit is how it is done. The Tories have two, very different, demographics to keep happy. It’s going to be fascinating.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

I'm trying to think of a tax idea that I would support now, in the changed circumstances, but wouldn't have supported in the time before, and I'm struggling.

Similarly I can't think of an item of government spending that I'd now be prepared to do without that I wound previously have defended.

The government’s problem in a single post. It needs a lot more money coming in and to make a lot of cuts. Few will be enthused by either.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,208

Yes, from donations, and presumably also legacies. Not from fees. The rule about Gift Aid is to claim it, you cannot obtain a benefit from the money you have paid.

Think of charitable private schools (which, remember, not necessarily all of them are) as running a similar economic model to universities.

This of course is one reason why nobody has ever been able to successfully interfere with it.
  • Options
    On the thread header, Cyclefree’s question ‘why should a spouse have exemption from inheritance tax but not the children?’ is very easily answered. It’s a way of more or less guaranteeing that the house doesn’t have to be sold, because spouses are somewhat more likely to be living in them than children.

Because again, houses are totemic, particularly at a time of grief. Theresa May can explain this to you...
  • Options

It won’t happen, but for me Trident seems a good place to start looking for savings.

Which area of the country are you proposing to nuke?
  • Options

The government’s problem in a single post. It needs a lot more money coming in and to make a lot of cuts. Few will be enthused by either.
    Or it needs a lot of economic growth which even if it resulted in no new income (unlikely verging on impossible) would reduce debt as a fraction of GDP.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    When is the baby's name announced?

When do misguided contributor's to Shadsy's bonus get to tear up their betting slips as the winner is NOTA, none of the above, as you'd expect for the half-brother of Lara, Milo, Cassia and Theodore?

ETA this is my entry to pb's posts that might not age well contest.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Nigelb said:

Not really on topic.
    Truth is that so many 'soak the rich' taxes can have negative effects or unintended consequences. They make good headlines for the righteous but often raise very little revenue whne balanced against the losses.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It won’t happen, but for me Trident seems a good place to start looking for savings.

The Emirates Stadium.

• Options
    edited May 2020

When do misguided contributor's to Shadsy's bonus get to tear up their betting slips as the winner is NOTA, none of the above, as you'd expect for the half-brother of Lara, Milo, Cassia and Theodore?

Are you saying that Cassie has, in the words of @TSE, got Agrippa on the matter?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Trident and HS2 are good places to start, we are entering a big WFH age
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Or it needs a lot of economic growth which even if it resulted in no new income (unlikely verging on impossible) would reduce debt as a fraction of GDP.
    Magic-ing up growth, of a sustainable form, is not that easy. Not helped by an ageing population, reducing immigration and bringing in new tariff barriers.

• Options

ydoethur said:

The Emirates Stadium.

You’re gunning for Arsenal?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Now I’m really intrigued. What does Trident have to do with WFH? Do you commute on a submarine?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The Emirates Stadium.

You’re gunning for Arsenal?
    Take it as red.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Are you saying that Cassie has, in the words of @TSE, got Agrippa on the matter?
    Actually if there were a market on middle names, then ancient Greece might be a profitable source. Something Pericles Symonds-Johnson has a nice ring to it.
  • Options

Yes but even that would probably involve big job losses whatever the gain. What no-one ever wants to say is that everyone will have to do without something for a longish time. Cushioning the vulnerable is very laudable but it sure increases the bill for everyone else and they all have points when they say - enough already!
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited May 2020
    Boris was great yesterday.

However, I did notice that he was working for every breath. Whether that's temporary or long-lasting I don't know but medics have warned about permanent damage to those most seriously affected.

I mention this because I was thinking Boris could do a Blair and run and run. I'm not so sure now.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Magic-ing up growth, of a sustainable form, is not that easy. Not helped by an ageing population, reducing immigration and
    bringing in new tariff barriers.

Yep, we’ll be bumping along for a while. The government will be creating quite a few jobs, though, to deal with the extra customs checks and red tape coming our way.
  • Options

Difficult choices indeed but let's wait and see if they are necessary. Ignore the debt and deficit hawks for the moment. They are usually wrong. Rishi Sunak should not repeat George Osborne's blunder in choking off the recovery inherited from Labour. The challenge will be to resume normal economic activity and growth, not to depress the economy further still.

whatever it takes.

I totally agree.

I wouldn't put it past Boris to run a deficit. He's no Keith Joseph.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited May 2020
    One of our journalists in the daily press briefing asked whether the care home patients were getting their daily exercise. They confuse them with sheltered accommodation residents and were obviously pontificating on what they know not. My wife finished her career as a nurse by working in nursing homes long enough to see the overall condition of the patients who came in decline.

Hospitals would discharge them much more rapidly nowadays. That's where the 'bed-blockers' went to. The main job of the day was to get them out of bed, washed, to the toilet and to breakfast.

An hours exercise? Most can't get out of bed on their own. I'm talking of registered nursing homes, not homes for retired gentlefolk who like to play scrabble. If they went for exercise outside, very few would return because they'd be totally lost.

Looking after them is a job I could never do and I admit it.

I did know enough to realise that COVID would go through them like a dose of salts.

That's when I realised the journalists really were totally thick. My wife always said that the most grateful visitors were those that came most often. The least grateful? Those that seldom came and had a guilt complex. .

• Options
    edited May 2020

Foxy said:

Magic-ing up growth, of a sustainable form, is not that easy. Not helped by an ageing population, reducing immigration and
    bringing in new tariff barriers.

Yep, we’ll be bumping along for a while. The government will be creating quite a few jobs, though, to deal with the extra customs checks and red tape coming our way.
    And, of course, HS2 (sorry @Pulpstar).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Now I’m really intrigued. What does Trident have to do with WFH? Do you commute on a submarine?
    More the HS2 part lol. Trident just isn't needed full stop.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

Very nice thought experiment in response to Cyclefree's header. Yes, I struggle too. I can think of quite a few things that I would reluctantly accept that I'd have opposed before, though. Cuts to culture, media and sport, for instance - if they are really popular they will survive, and if they aren't maybe we can't afford to subsidise them. I get the Reithian idea that as a society we enrich ourselves and future generations by having a rich cultural choice - but perhaps that's not a first priority?

There is also a large class of things that we can all see make sense but have been classed as too dangeous by all politicians. There is probably a public mood to accept that some of those need to be accepted now.
  • Options

whatever it takes.

I totally agree.

I wouldn't put it past Boris to run a deficit. He's no Keith Joseph.
    Boris said it in as many words yesterday. He is opposed to austerity.

The key date is the 3rd of November. If Biden wins, the GOP that voted for the budget-destroying Trump tax cuts (and before that the Bush tax cuts and the Reagan tax cuts) will flip to being deficit hawks for as long as the other side occupies the White House. Many of our pundits and even politicians take their cues from Washington. If Biden wins, the press may turn on Boris.
  • Options
    I could have 910 MPs internet if I wanted (FTTH), how much would a rollout of best in class fibre to the home broadband cost ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I could have 910 MPs internet if I wanted (FTTH), how much would a rollout of best in class fibre to the home broadband cost ?

If these figures are correct, it would seem to be about £25-30 billion, which ties in with the figures bandied about during the last election campaign:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/08/openreach-fttp-final-10-of-uk-likely-to-cost-4000-per-premises.html

But I doubt if that includes the severe disruption of installing them, given it would involve road closures, house visits, telephone disconnections etc. So maybe add 15%.

The trick will obviously be getting the standard to 90% of homes. It may then be that 5G or even satellite is the best option elsewhere.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Pulpstar said:

Around £30bn. We've got shit loads of private investment in this area, no need to put state resources into it.
  • Options

The be fair, there are a lot of tax and spending changes that I supported in the time before, and I'm sure that everything would be fine if the Chancellor came to his senses (and my way of thinking).
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,521
    edited May 2020
    Twenty-third (if the site can count).

Thanks @Cyclefree.

Some of these won't work - Shell, for example, with a 24bn loss may not pay corporation tax for years, and it remains questionable whether a higher rate of the tax raises more money.

I wonder if we actually need to start with some indication of how much is required per annum? 100bn? 200bn?

Perhaps we just take half of the amount that Mr Corbyn was going to obtain from the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?

I can see value in increased property taxes, scope of VAT, and reforming charity donation and trading exemptions (Oxfam and the National Trust will squeal like stuck pigs).

I wonder if we also need to suspend exemption for past pension settlements that were 2 or 3 times as generous than they are currently.

And perhaps we could make a couple of billion from a windfall tax on football.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Fibre to the home might not be the best choice soon, depending on how the 5G rollout goes. Even 4G will be enough for many.
  • Options
    Incidentally, to pick up on one other point in the thread header - it is not at all clear that Spanish Flu had no long lasting deleterious effect on the economy or society. The difficulty is disentangling what that effect might be from the huge array of other disasters happening at the time - war, famine, revolutions, economic dislocation due to physical destruction, decolonisation, and political instability in key economic powers.

Indeed when you look at the period 1914-26 the wonder is not that the Second Great Depression and Second World War happened but that they didn’t happen long before they did.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Not sure the govt will need to encourage consumers to go out and spend money when the lockdown is over.

Different sectors will recover in different ways - tourism spots that rely on locals and Uk visitors very than those that rely on Chinese tours.

Campsites better than cruises.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Twenty-third (if the site can count).

Thanks @Cyclefree.

Some of these won't work - Shell, for example, with a 24bn loss may not pay corporation tax for years, and it remains questionable whether a higher rate of the tax raises more money.

I wonder if we actually need to start with some indication of how much is required per annum? 100bn? 200bn?

Perhaps we just take half of the amount that Mr Corbyn was going to obtain from the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?

I can see value in increased property taxes, scope of VAT, and reforming charity donation and trading exemptions (Oxfam and the National Trust will squeal like stuck pigs).

I wonder if we also need to suspend exemption for past pension settlements that were 2 or 3 times as generous than they are currently.

Any government proposing that would be booted out.

*Pauses.

Thinks.*

This sounds like an awesome plan Matt, let’s do it.

Have a good morning.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,521
    edited May 2020
    CD13 said:

One of our journalists in the daily press briefing asked whether the care home patients were getting their daily exercise. They confuse them with sheltered accommodation residents and were obviously pontificating on what they know not. My wife finished her career as a nurse by working in nursing homes long enough to see the overall condition of the patients who came in decline.

Hospitals would discharge them much more rapidly nowadays. That's where the 'bed-blockers' went to. The main job of the day was to get them out of bed, washed, to the toilet and to breakfast.

An hours exercise? Most can't get out of bed on their own. I'm talking of registered nursing homes, not homes for retired gentlefolk who like to play scrabble. If they went for exercise outside, very few would return because they'd be totally lost.

I did know enough to realise that COVID would go through them like a dose of salts.

That's when I realised the journalists really were totally thick. My wife always said that the most grateful visitors were those that came most often. The least grateful? Those that seldom came and had a guilt complex. .

I think these are interesting questions. Hospitals seem to be set up to deny the use of hospital resources to discharged patients, and maximally exploit local charities. Discharged patients suffer.

Our local DH has a policy of explicitly denying access to the Discharge Policy to patients and their families, except via FOI, which neatly stops people knowing what they are entitled to that needs to be requested before they have left.

We also need to know the impact of discharges of positive-for-Corona patients into Care Homes.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

Pulpstar said:

Fibre to the home might not be the best choice soon, depending on how the 5G rollout goes. Even 4G will be enough for many.
    My understanding of 5g is that a mast only covers about a 250 m diameter, this from reports of masts in the states not even able to give coverage to an entire stadium. In addition the mast itself needs a fibre connection. At that point it means you have to have fibre running to within 250m of your house in anycase. Not convinced by the 5g hype
  • Options

Very nice thought experiment in response to Cyclefree's header. Yes, I struggle too. I can think of quite a few things that I would reluctantly accept that I'd have opposed before, though. Cuts to culture, media and sport, for instance - if they are really popular they will survive, and if they aren't maybe we can't afford to subsidise them. I get the Reithian idea that as a society we enrich ourselves and future generations by having a rich cultural choice - but perhaps that's not a first priority?
    MattW said:

The Arts, Music and Sport are some of the areas that are going to take the biggest hit this year. A crowd is rather intrinsic to all of these. Many football clubs (particularly below the PL) are at risk of going bust, so too music venues and theatres. It is likely that they will have big audiences again in a year though. They are not one of the industries subject to longterm structural change.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    If there aren’t a dozen hacked versions of the Chinese Govt Lego propaganda by the weekend, I’m a Dutchman.
  • Options

..I can think of quite a few things that I would reluctantly accept that I'd have opposed before, though. Cuts to culture, media and sport, for instance - if they are really popular they will survive, and if they aren't maybe we can't afford to subsidise them. I get the Reithian idea that as a society we enrich ourselves and future generations by having a rich cultural choice - but perhaps that's not a first priority?

One of the key themes of the pandemic novel "Station Eleven" is that cultural things are precisely the first priority, because what else is there to live for without them?

A self-serving argument for a novelist, perhaps, but if Johnson teaches us anything it's the importance of inspiration over bleak utilitarianism.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,529
    edited May 2020
    Thanks for this. Perhaps there should be an informal rule that all proposals about tax also include an analysis of how to achieve its outcomes without destroying the party putting them into effect.

On charities and tax, the charity area is so diverse - ranging from Little Snoring Duckpond Preservation Trust to massive corporate bodies with eye watering salaries - that one size fits all is not right. Over the years I have been a trustee of charities ranging in annual income from 47p (sadly closed now) to £20m. Many charities in fact get nearly all their income from local or national taxation (much adult social care for example). To add taxes to them merely puts up the price they tender for contracts. But to apply business rates to Little Snoring Duckpond or Little Snoring Parish Church will close them down.

BTW most land is totally untaxed in this country because it is agricultural....now, there's a fertile field for action.
  • Options

However, I did notice that he was working for every breath. Whether that's temporary or long-lasting I don't know but medics have warned about permanent damage to those most seriously affected.

I mention this because I was thinking Boris could do a Blair and run and run. I'm not so sure now.

Boris came on like he'd just run up ten flights of stairs. Might I suggest that he gets to the venue for the next presser five minutes earlier - and allows his breathing to settle down?

He got better as he went on though.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,931

In effect it's the wealthy picking pet causes at the expense of other public services. A good explanation in this article from the FT:

Pointless putting up a link to a fee paying site
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I disagree with the premise that taxes need to rise, at least for the short term. The economy is in a state of shock and needs to get moving as much as possible - the way to do that is not to increase taxes. Temporarily lower taxes would support the economy more.

We have entered this crisis with two advantages thankfully. The deficit is while still there rather small at just 1.2% of GDP. Also we have extremely low inflation - in fact inflation has consistently been below target.

Learning lessons from history after the 1920 pandemic the UK economy collapsed 20% in real terms and had massive deflation. Deflation is a major risk from where we are given inflation is already below target.

We need to raise unthinkably large sums of money, we need to not shock the economy with extra taxes and we need to avoid deflation. There is a solution that doesn't involve taxes.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,348
    A largy unnoticeable tax might be 2 a month on mobile phone contracts and assocated taxes on ppgo. It would raise at a guess a billion a year...
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    The question is what do we need to do? The debt we run this year on 25 year term and good rates will be serviceable. What are future debt rollovers likely to look like? I sense the bond, indeed the whole investment market is radically changed to what it was 20 years ago, but how? Is 90% GDP debt still any kind of benchmark for a burden that starts to be an un-opposable anchor drag on an economy, and which we will smash through?

Or has the need to provide pension pots to people in far more parts of the world made investment, aka debt, a seller's market - too much capital chasing too little quality investment. A 'why not take advantage' market.

And how does that all end?

For me, running a higher debt for a time after a centennial disaster (let's make it so and be ready as a planet for the next non-flu pandemic), in an economy with relatively few natural disaster shocks to consider is a no brainer. Managing that debt down by sound finances over multiple years is a must, but don't panic. But if the calculus of how much debt is too much has permanently changed, we must give that a nod too.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Pagan2 said:

Pulpstar said:

My understanding of 5g is that a mast only covers about a 250 m diameter, this from reports of masts in the states not even able to give coverage to an entire stadium. In addition the mast itself needs a fibre connection. At that point it means you have to have fibre running to within 250m of your house in anycase. Not convinced by the 5g hype
    No, there's different types of 5G. You're talking about mmwave which is has shorter range coverage (500m radius) but it's not something that will be used by consumer devices. It is aimed at the broadcast sector to replace satellite transmission. Ordinary 5G has around the same range as 4G.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Gift Aid is an obvious area for fraud, hidden benefits and pet cause picking by the wealthy; but the great majority of ordinary charities - small set ups doing local service by volunteers and underpaid people - are greatly reliant on it, and most giver are just ordinary tax payers and not wealthy.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977
    malcolmg said:

The argument is that Gift Aid directs Government expenditure in the direction of the charities that receive the money.

And as I don't like the charities getting the money it's wrong and that expenditure should be on things I do like.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I have never worked in Care Home, in the sense that Mrs CD13 did, but I spent several years in and out of them first inspecting and then reviewing and advising on medicine handling and training. I agree with everything he reports.
    And I believe his wife when she says that those visitors who came seldom would raise all sorts of queries. As I recall it Homes welcomed regular visitors because they enlivened the residents.

It is to be hoped that opinion formers have a good look at Care Homes after all this; I'm of the opinion that it would have been highly unlikely Col Moore could have done his walk if he'd been in a Home, as opposed to living with his daughter, not matter how fit he was.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    felix said:

Yes but even that would probably involve big job losses whatever the gain.
    The Astute replacement (which needs to start soon) is basically going to be a short wheelbase Dreadnought so they could switch to that.
  • Options

I disagree with the premise that taxes need to rise, at least for the short term. The economy is in a state of shock and needs to get moving as much as possible - the way to do that is not to increase taxes. Temporarily lower taxes would support the economy more.

We have entered this crisis with two advantages thankfully. The deficit is while still there rather small at just 1.2% of GDP. Also we have extremely low inflation - in fact inflation has consistently been below target.

Learning lessons from history after the 1920 pandemic the UK economy collapsed 20% in real terms and had massive deflation. Deflation is a major risk from where we are given inflation is already below target.

We need to raise unthinkably large sums of money, we need to not shock the economy with extra taxes and we need to avoid deflation. There is a solution that doesn't involve taxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1hCLBTD5RM
  • Options

We are all going to be paying more tax and we’ll be borrowing a shedload more. The interesting bit is how it is done. The Tories have two, very different, demographics to keep happy. It’s going to be fascinating.

Not for those at the bottom, it will cushy at the top as ever and brutal for the rest.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

Before we even think of raising taxes it would be good to have a conversation first on what the state does and what we want it to do. This should start with a "This is everything we do and how much it costs" list.

There are many things people think sound like a good idea, an example recently floated was free school meals for all children. I don't think think anyone really looks at that and thinks it sounds bad, but it depends on the cost...if it costs 3million a year most people I think would say yes do it. If it cost 8 billion a year they would be saying hell no.

One frustration is that it is actually fairly difficult to get true cost figures on anything the public sector does. Let us start with transparency first and then we can work out what we think is worth doing for the cost it can be done.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

The argument is that Gift Aid directs Government expenditure in the direction of the charities that receive the money.

And as I don't like the charities getting the money it's wrong and that expenditure should be on things I do like.
    I get no real choice on where taxes go. Gift Aid allows a tiny protest in favour of the Little Snoring Duckpond Trust and against a benefit system in which I fund the heroin bills of some recipients.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    I need to get some children and grand children (and great grandchildren) - they can pay for all this.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    The world collectively seems to be in lots of debt, but who is the debt owed to ?
    What would happen if it was just cancelled collectively by the EU, USA, Japan and ourselves ?
    Is China in debt ?
  • Options

We could not be so lucky.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,216
    How to pay for it? Place a Tax on all foreigners living abroad.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

The world collectively seems to be in lots of debt, but who is the debt owed to ?
    What would happen if it was just cancelled collectively by the EU, USA, Japan and ourselves ?
    Is China in debt ?

My guess would be a collapse of private pension schemes - but there are others on here who I'm sure will put me right!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

partly the difficulties of visiting family. Its not just stag parties that fly back for the long weekends on Ryanair.

Fuck frequent flyers of every variety.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

In our tiny village in SE Spain we have a radio telephone 4G - not perfect by any means and 69€ a month - but we get TV and phone for that and it's cheaper than satellite with unlimited downloads. For much of rural Spain wired internet of any kind is a pipe dream.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    I just cannot see Boris having the stones to significantly raise taxes. I imagine several such ideas will be floated in the media, people will say of course they agree taxes should rise but not those ones, and that'll be that.

And God forbid any major freebies get taken away, especially for older people - spent their life paying taxes, then suffered more than any under the virus and to get financially punished for it they'll cry? Something token at best. Grey vote bribery at election time is too vital .
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Is China in debt ?

My guess would be a collapse of private pension schemes - but there are others on here who I'm sure will put me right!
    I'm 100% in equities.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Is China in debt ?

The whole sorry saga has made me reflect on the meaning of money anyway. Before anyone lampoons this I did at least study economics at A level.

What's it all about? The bits of paper or bank statements reflect what, exactly? Manufactured goods? Services? One person picks fruit in a field and indirectly someone pushing paper clips around a desk pays her, who in turn is paid by someone else placing some sort of value on the paper clip work they do. That person is paid by other people including investors in paper clips etc. etc.

It's all meaningless really.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    edited May 2020
    So the thread seems to focus on tax rises, from inheritance tax, to higher corporation and inheritance tax to even forcing the poorest to pay income tax again.

As Margaret Thatcher said 'No, No, No' we have a Tory government not a Labour government and I doubt even Starmer would go as far as the tax bombshells Cyclefree is floating here. Especially when we need to grow the economy once lockdown ends not hammer it with tax rises
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

I get no real choice on where taxes go. Gift Aid allows a tiny protest in favour of the Little Snoring Duckpond Trust and against a benefit system in which I fund the heroin bills of some recipients.

My comment was a precis of the articles argument. I don't believe it's that big a deal as at best it's a rounding error when it comes to Government Expenditure.

And the counter argument is very simple, if people think it's important enough to give / spend their own money on xyz, it makes sense for the Government to contribute as well. In the US the money would be being paid pre-tax, in the UK the tax is simply being returned.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,209

Boris came on like he'd just run up ten flights of stairs. Might I suggest that he gets to the venue for the next presser five minutes earlier - and allows his breathing to settle down?

He got better as he went on though.
    iirc a mountaineering (or possibly diving) medic said the other day that it takes some time to recover from the oxygen treatment.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Is China in debt ?

Doesn't China own over $1tn in US treasury bills (or some equally stupid amount as they need to keep the Yuan's value down)?
  • Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

@algakirk @eek
    Thanks for the explanations, I don't understand why people just stick up links to fee sites assuming people will have access. Sadly a lot of these charities are scams for hoorays to pay themselves huge salaries and ponce about, and it is the small decent ones that will suffer.
This discussion has been closed.