Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Other 2020 US Elections – the Democratic party fight to ta

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited May 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Other 2020 US Elections – the Democratic party fight to take back control of the Senate

Yes, all eyes are on the Presidency. But let us not forget that there are other national US elections taking place on November 3: the Senate and the House of Representatives.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,361
    edited May 2020
    E pluribus unum.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

E pluribus unum.

Where's that judge-led inquiry?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Second...as in second rate like the NHS app.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,361
    RobD said:

E pluribus unum.

It is absolute fake news to say Mike Whatsapped the PB illuminati to let them know that he had published Robert's piece.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Very well written Robert. Thank you.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

Second...as in second rate like the NHS app.

It’s so bad it’s not even second rate.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,321
    That picture -- it still seems odd that Americans require constant reminding of which country they are in. Where is America's Emily Thornberry? Mind you, it is creeping in here with the union flags behind the ministers at the Downing Street press conferences.
  • Options
    eadric said:

As previously menshed on here, keep an eye on Mexico. Deaths spiralling. 197 today

Also Peru, and maybe Canada

If it does wild in Mexico City...it will be carnage. 20 million people, high population density, shit air quality, no way have capacity to cope.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    eadric said:

As previously menshed on here, keep an eye on Mexico. Deaths spiralling. 197 today

Brazil looks like it will be a big disaster.
  • Options

RobD said:

E pluribus unum.

It is absolute fake news to say Mike Whatsapped the PB illuminati to let them know that he had published Robert's piece.
    Scandalous.

:D
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

eadric said:

Brazil looks like it will be a big disaster.
    But Brazilian Trump says nothing to see....
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

If it does wild in Mexico City...it will be carnage. 20 million people, high population density, shit air quality, no way have capacity to cope.
    Yes, as I said some time ago, Mexico is a perfect storm waiting to happen. Add in massive corruption, widespread violence. Dire poverty. Bad health care. And obesity

Also, if it kicks off there it means we can kiss goodbye to seasonality once and for all. It’s been hot and pretty sunny there for some time
    Scratching my head about India. There is no way people can socially isolate there. Perhaps just not recording properly.
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

Yes, as I said some time ago, Mexico is a perfect storm waiting to happen. Add in massive corruption, widespread violence. Dire poverty. Bad health care. And obesity

Also, if it kicks off there it means we can kiss goodbye to seasonality once and for all. It’s been hot and pretty sunny there for some time
    Scratching my head about India. There is no way people can socially isolate there. Perhaps just not recording properly.
    Fewer old biddies?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,493
    If Warren does turn out to be the VP pick. that might cost the Democrats control of the Senate for six months.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

A lot of the Latin American cities will be a complete disaster if they get them badly and people are observing good hygiene and lockdown rules. Sao Paulo and Rio come to mind.
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

The latter. Only cases confirmed via testing and they aren't doing many tests.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

eadric said:

eadric said:

Numbers from India are about as reliable as numbers from Iran. UAE have picked up hundreds of cases who had travelled from India.
  • Options
    Still no leaks / policy from UK government about airport arrivals. It feels like it is back of the queue in things to get sorted.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

The latter. Only cases confirmed via testing and they aren't doing many tests.
    Not necessarily. There are other theories. Some of them are here:

https://www.theweek.co.uk/106916/why-has-coronavirus-not-run-rampant-in-india
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

@Black_Rook

What is a huge spike in R? Is it to 1.5? Is it to 2.5? Is it to 4.0?

If modest social distancing keeps R to 1.5, which I don't think is an unreasonable expectation, then we will see infected numbers growing relatively slowly off a small base.

That seems like a win to me.

I'd be guessing, but an R not very much above 1.0 will, presumably, be enough to trigger an explosive growth in cases given how many there still are in the community, and how ineffectual the measures to contain disease hotspots in hospitals and care homes are likely to prove. Certainly the total number of active cases isn't going to reduce to a very low level within any reasonable sort of a timeframe - we know from the briefings that thousands are still being confirmed every day, and the majority of the mild cases and almost all of the asymptomatic ones will never be identified by testing.

The easing of lockdown will be forced by economic necessity, frustration and desperation, it will inevitably be badly handled, and the massacre that we've been trying to avoid all along will come to pass.
    I don't share your concerns.

Firstly, look at Sweden. Yes, they have a higher death rate than us. But it's far from off the charts, and the numbers are coming down.

Secondly, small changes in R make a massive difference. An R of 3 and a 10 day infectious period means you increase your caseload 27 times in a month. An R of 1.5 - which is probably three times the current level - and you're only talking about a tripling in a month.

There are lots of things we can do - short of total lockdown - that result in Rs well below the February / early March levels. Simply wearing masks in shops and on public transport and washing hands make a massive difference.
    Sweden's fatality rate isn't higher than the UK's.
    And do you really believe that the R0 is 0.5 currently in the UK?
    Sweden also benefits from a population density one tenth of that of Britain and, insofar as I understand it, a governing class that isn't entirely incompetent and useless.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    What does he say? Have you got what you need ....?
  • Options
    eadric said:

Sandpit said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Numbers from India are about as reliable as numbers from Iran. UAE have picked up hundreds of cases who had travelled from India.
    I actually think Iran is genuinely doing OK. Not quite the catastrophe envisaged six weeks ago, tho of course the regime has hidden the true stats

I’m making this judgement on the lack of horrible social media coming out of the country. Very subjective but it’s been quite reliable so far
    Can’t say I’ve been watching Iranian social media personally, but the drop off in infections reported seems somewhat too perfect, given they never really locked down in the way that’s happened elsewhere. Occam’s razor says they’ve just stopped testing as many of their dead.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    That's jaw droppingly bad. I'm genuinely shocked he would do that.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    Yup. Presumably to the TV producer standing just out of shot.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    Then what does he say? I didnt get the next bit.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    eadric said:

Sandpit said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I actually think Iran is genuinely doing OK. Not quite the catastrophe envisaged six weeks ago, tho of course the regime has hidden the true stats

I’m making this judgement on the lack of horrible social media coming out of the country. Very subjective but it’s been quite reliable so far
    I suspect that Iran, may be the first nation to get to heard immunity, it will have done so in a very brutal way, but it will have got there. its a pity that there are not reliable numbers come out, or it could have been a good predictive base line.
  • Options
    Has that Tweet been deleted?
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Millions die in India every day - or so it feels. Plus they are much younger and much less likely to be obese. And yes, are they even testing?

The advantage of being a huge poor third world country. They won’t really notice the Rona
    India is a fantastic mix of rich and extremely poor. Fwiw I've not heard anything from work colleagues in India but nor have I asked them.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    3 more weeks with some minor tweaks.

Sounds like tips opening is one of them.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    Then he offers to step down onto the pavement. Small earthquake in Chile stuff.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    “Have you got what you need, ‘cos we’ll get Lara back if that’s okay?”
    Pause, walks away, “Lara...”
    cuts.

(Headphones coming in useful :) )
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Still no leaks / policy from UK government about airport arrivals. It feels like it is back of the queue in things to get sorted.

Unless there is a reason the think that people coming in to this country are more likely to be infected than people already here, I don't see the benefit in stopping or limiting the airline industry more than it has been already.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    cuts.

Is that it? Hardly " thank fuck i can now stop, what a load of vritue signalling nonsense this is..."
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,239
    It's possible, but remember that very rightwing Democrat senators, like Joe Manchin, mean that the loony conservatives will still have a majority in the gerrymandered Senate. Which is a tragedy for the planet.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,255
    FPT
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Fair play to them, NHSX have published the source code to their contact tracing app. Hundreds of developers and tech journos on Twitter currently going mad setting up environments to start their own testing...

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1258483404519153667?s=19

It says IOW only...what happens if you install it and try and use it?
    It seems from initial reviews that the Apple issue is very real, two iPhones both in standby that pass each other will not trigger a contact. Android OS works differently, and appears to be good. An Android phone passing an iPhone will "wake" it up, so as long as there's a few Androids in a room full of iPhones then in theory the whole ecosystem works.

Other major issue is Android compatibility. v8.0 was released in 2017, but a lot of older phones and more recent low-end phones don't run v8 and can't be upgraded to it.

Seems like a massive fudge to me, so they can get the backend database rather than use the decentralised version from the phone o/s vendors.

We should know a lot more in the morning, once the geeks have been up for 30 hours straight mainlining coffee intravenously. ;)
    So it's in the national interest that we all get Androids? TSE won't be happy. :D
    TSE-PO would make a fine android.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

@Black_Rook

What is a huge spike in R? Is it to 1.5? Is it to 2.5? Is it to 4.0?

If modest social distancing keeps R to 1.5, which I don't think is an unreasonable expectation, then we will see infected numbers growing relatively slowly off a small base.

That seems like a win to me.

I'd be guessing, but an R not very much above 1.0 will, presumably, be enough to trigger an explosive growth in cases given how many there still are in the community, and how ineffectual the measures to contain disease hotspots in hospitals and care homes are likely to prove. Certainly the total number of active cases isn't going to reduce to a very low level within any reasonable sort of a timeframe - we know from the briefings that thousands are still being confirmed every day, and the majority of the mild cases and almost all of the asymptomatic ones will never be identified by testing.

The easing of lockdown will be forced by economic necessity, frustration and desperation, it will inevitably be badly handled, and the massacre that we've been trying to avoid all along will come to pass.
    I don't share your concerns.

Firstly, look at Sweden. Yes, they have a higher death rate than us. But it's far from off the charts, and the numbers are coming down.

Secondly, small changes in R make a massive difference. An R of 3 and a 10 day infectious period means you increase your caseload 27 times in a month. An R of 1.5 - which is probably three times the current level - and you're only talking about a tripling in a month.

There are lots of things we can do - short of total lockdown - that result in Rs well below the February / early March levels. Simply wearing masks in shops and on public transport and washing hands make a massive difference.
    Sweden's fatality rate isn't higher than the UK's.
    And do you really believe that the R0 is 0.5 currently in the UK?
    Sweden also benefits from a population density one tenth of that of Britain and, insofar as I understand it, a governing class that isn't entirely incompetent and useless.
    Sweden's population density is a function of a lot of uninhabited space between human settlements. Grade of urbanisation is much more relevant, and that is largely comparable.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    cuts.

Is that it? Hardly " thank fuck i can now stop, what a load of vritue signalling nonsense this is..."
    What on earth are you all blethering on about?
  • Options
    eadric said:

Sandpit said:

eadric said:

Sandpit said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Can’t say I’ve been watching Iranian social media personally, but the drop off in infections reported seems somewhat too perfect, given they never really locked down in the way that’s happened elsewhere. Occam’s razor says they’ve just stopped testing as many of their dead.
    With these very closed societies, social media is your best way of assessing them. Six weeks ago social media was full of vids and photos and stories of Iranians dropping dead, mass graves being dug, bodies stacked in morgues - all the stuff we’ve seen everywhere else.

All that has dried up, virtually. It looks like the regime did a decent lockdown and got a grip. But now they are opening up again...
    Maybe, let’s hope so.

IMHO it’s more likely they just banned social media, and took sick people away to military facilities.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    cuts.

Tweet has been deleted
  • Options
    eadric said:

Lady Starmer is genuinely quite sexy if you like north london social x rays

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10676105/keir-starmers-wife-victoria-children/

Must have been a scorcher when she was 24

Should've gone to Specsavers :lol:
  • Options

Has that Tweet been deleted?

Yep.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    cuts.

There was a tweet showing Keir Starmer clapping for carers, then asking the tv crew if they'd got the shot they needed. I think he then offered to get lower by stepping onto the pavement, while @Sandpit thought he said something about Lara, whoever she might be. ETA on second listening, @Sandpit might be right.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

dr_spyn said:
    cuts.

There was a tweet showing Keir Starmer clapping for carers, then asking the tv crew if they'd got the shot they needed. I think he then offered to get lower by stepping onto the pavement, while @Sandpit thought he said something about Lara, whoever she might be.
    Ah. Right.

That now makes sense, thank you. Random non-sequiturs about dropped mikes and Lara were awfully confusing.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Millions die in India every day - or so it feels. Plus they are much younger and much less likely to be obese. And yes, are they even testing?

The advantage of being a huge poor third world country. They won’t really notice the Rona
    A couple of weeks old, admittedly:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-52283748

Coronavirus: How India's Kerala state 'flattened the curve'
  • Options
    Seems like Project Restart is getting the go ahead - with free to air broadcasting which is quite appropriate.

If Project Restart gets the go ahead that's enough for me, can keep the lockdown going for another 3 weeks just ease up a bit on garden centres, outdoors etc but at least we have something to look forward to.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Christ...i hate to think what you are like when Mrs Joe Wicks has been doing the morning PE lessons.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    There is something rather contrived - if not vulgar - about the weekly 8 o clock clap. I really cannot imagine Chamberlain, Churchill, Attlee, Macmillan, Home - or even Heath getting involved in this.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

There is something rather contrived - if not vulgar - about the weekly 8 o clock clap. I really cannot imagine Chamberlain, Churchill, Attlee, Macmillan, Home - or even Heath getting involved in this.

The world has moved on just a touch since then.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

It would have been beneath their dignity to do such a thing.
    But I suppose that Johnson has already undermined the dignity of his office so much that this makes little difference.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

I'm very glad we've moved on then.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,263
    Labour in Wales just tweeted schools will remain closed to 1st June and expect very unlikely they will go back before the autumn term
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

So? They are from the past, not the present.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,018
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1258496642224992260?s=20
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    I think they will make it.
  • Options

Seems like Project Restart is getting the go ahead - with free to air broadcasting which is quite appropriate.

If Project Restart gets the go ahead that's enough for me, can keep the lockdown going for another 3 weeks just ease up a bit on garden centres, outdoors etc but at least we have something to look forward to.

The FTA broadcasting must have been the difficult bit to sort out, given that the pay-TV providers have paid something like £800m for the right to show the games, but the problems with restarting were as much related to behaviour of fans as those involved in actually staging the matches.

Still don’t see how they stop massive street parties in Liverpool when the league win is confirmed though.
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

Indeed there was then far more respect for the office of PM. Nowadays the occupant is likely to be widely viewed with contempt.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

Indeed there was then far more respect for the office of PM. Nowadays the occupant is likely to be widely viewed with contempt.
    It’s a good job nobody ever viewed ‘Mac the Knife’ or Alec ‘Skull’ Douglas-Home with contempt.
  • Options
    eadric said:

Record daily deaths in the USA

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1258504024724312064?s=21

Looks like they will hit that feared 3000-a-day total, and it looks like they are headed for 150,000-200,000 in the first wave

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1258479301994954754?s=20
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,410
    Lawks. When was the last time that the Telegraph was this positive about anything that a Labour politician said?
  • Options

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

A good link. Despite Eadric’s desperation to patronise developing countries, a lot of them are very used to dealing with contagious viruses and are well able to swing low tech plans into action very quickly. It is the same in Africa - which was attracting similar comments not so long ago - yet a fair few African countries had their travel bans and isolation plans in place before the UK decided to act.
  • Options
    I’d back the Dems in NC
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,018
    eadric said:

Looks like they will hit that feared 3000-a-day total, and it looks like they are headed for 150,000-200,000 in the first wave

And yet mindblowingly it seems that the resultant depression rather than the 100ks of deaths is more likely to stop Trump.
    FUBAR.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited May 2020

eadric said:

eadric said:

Ditto Africa. Perhaps it really is all about absolute rather than relative old age. Does anyone know if we lose telomeres at a fixed rate?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The FTA broadcasting must have been the difficult bit to sort out, given that the pay-TV providers have paid something like £800m for the right to show the games, but the problems with restarting were as much related to behaviour of fans as those involved in actually staging the matches.

Still don’t see how they stop massive street parties in Liverpool when the league win is confirmed though.
    Ask fans to do the right thing and pledge a street party when the time is right.

Liverpool fans know the tragedy of fans deaths as much as any team can. Any true Liverpool fan won't unnecessarily risk spreading death to their own fans.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    FTPT
    isam said:

I think everyone is in agreement on this.
    He shows how people can simply present the actual data, comparatively, and without any agenda attached.
    When I first started posting them, he was labelled a ‘half glass full’ merchant

He's always been extremely bullish on Sweden's lagged figures - keeps forecasting steady downward movement based on figures that get revised higher and higher. In space of a few days he's gone from "well down" and "continued downward trend" to "no sign of any increase".
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

Lawks. When was the last time that the Telegraph was this positive about anything that a Labour politician said?</blockquote

I've said it here...Starmer is the real deal...he's going to mop up the press....but he faces Boris Johnson who defies political gravity.....
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,410
    IanB2 said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

A good link. Despite Eadric’s desperation to patronise developing countries, a lot of them are very used to dealing with contagious viruses and are well able to swing low tech plans into action very quickly. It is the same in Africa - which was attracting similar comments not so long ago - yet a fair few African countries had their travel bans and isolation plans in place before the UK decided to act.
    It's a point (Dr not former Chancellor) Phil Hammond has been making for a while. This outbreak is a public health problem, and the things that help are primarily about public health stuff (hygiene, contact tracing, general wellbeing) more than hospitals. And the UK has been rubbish for those for ages.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Omfg doesn’t really cover it. He’s like a grandiose 6 year old in a bad suit

The UK is in a pretty bad place right now. As are many big western countries.

But what must it be like, to look at that, and know he is your president?

Double plus ungood.
  • Options
    eadric said:

eadric said:

Their death toll is still going up and he's ending their lockdown. WTF? They haven't flattened the curve yet, why bother even locking down then?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Ask fans to do the right thing and pledge a street party when the time is right.

Liverpool fans know the tragedy of fans deaths as much as any team can. Any true Liverpool fan won't unnecessarily risk spreading death to their own fans.
    Ask Klobbo to make an appeal to people's common sense and caution?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    eadric said:

My explanation for what is going on is that the Trump administration expects that most of the deaths will be in Democrat voting states, and intends to blame the deaths on the Democratic Party governments of those states; with a side order of blaming China and claiming Biden is China's choice for President. The Trump adminstration is willing to see tens to hundreds of thousands of American deaths to keep the economic plates spinning as they see that as the only path for Trump's reelection.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

FTPT

isam said:

He shows how people can simply present the actual data, comparatively, and without any agenda attached.

He's always been extremely bullish on Sweden's lagged figures - keeps forecasting steady downward movement based on figures that get revised higher and higher. In space of a few days he's gone from "well down" and "continued downward trend" to "no sign of any increase".
    No sign of increase is positive for something that's meant to be exponentially growing.

Remarkable that not locked down Sweden isn't seeing an increase while locked down America has been.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Labour in Wales just tweeted schools will remain closed to 1st June and expect very unlikely they will go back before the autumn term

It would be madness to bring schools back for a month or so in June at a time when we might just be getting onto of this thing....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    eadric said:

eadric said:

The way he talks about the economy is even weirder than the way he talks about the virus. It's as if he's taking credit for the whole of American history.
  • Options

Alistair said:

FTPT

isam said:

No sign of increase is positive for something that's meant to be exponentially growing.

Remarkable that not locked down Sweden isn't seeing an increase while locked down America has been.
    A dichotomy of "not locked down Sweden" and "locked down America" is a false premise to begin with.
  • Options
    glw said:

eadric said:

My explanation for what is going on is that the Trump administration expects that most of the deaths will be in Democrat voting states, and intends to blame the deaths on the Democratic Party governments of those states; with a side order of blaming China and claiming Biden is China's choice for President. The Trump adminstration is willing to see tens to hundreds of thousands of American deaths to keep the economic plates spinning as they see that as the only path for Trump's reelection.
    Even in those deeply cynical terms, that is almost certainly a miscalculation.
    Not only because it won’t keep the economic plates spinning, but also as it seems quite likely (unless there are strong seasonal effects that slow the outbreak) that rural areas will see a big increase in cases.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Indeed. In the week before the game Klopp, Hendo and former legends such as Dalglish, Gerrard etc should make video appeals. They'll be listened to.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    eadric said:

Yes I think she would be the best looking PM's spouse we have ever had, almost Jackie Kennedy like.

He also must have had his kids quite late if he is 57 and his oldest child is 10
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

Yes I think she would be the best looking PM's spouse we have ever had, almost Jackie Kennedy like.

He also must have had his kids quite late if he is 57 and his oldest child is 10
    Not an expert, but I'd guess 47.

Ah, my coat?
  • Options
    tyson said:

It would be madness to bring schools back for a month or so in June at a time when we might just be getting onto of this thing....
    Those missed grammar lessons are taking their toll, though.... :wink:
  • Options
    tyson said:

Yeah I don't see much point returning schools before the autumn except for the kids mental health though not for education I wonder if it might be a good thing. Education wise this academic year is a wash out but not seeing friends etc to the autumn is going to be one hell of a f###img long summer.
  • Options

Alistair said:

FTPT

isam said:

A dichotomy of "not locked down Sweden" and "locked down America" is a false premise to begin with.
    Officially at least.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Indeed. In the week before the game Klopp, Hendo and former legends such as Dalglish, Gerrard etc should make video appeals. They'll be listened to.
    That’s a good idea. Maybe let everyone shout from their door on the night, and promise to hold the mother of all street parties once allowed later in the summer.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

tyson said:

Yeah I don't see much point returning schools before the autumn except for the kids mental health though not for education I wonder if it might be a good thing. Education wise this academic year is a wash out but not seeing friends etc to the autumn is going to be one hell of a f###img long summer.
    I really think schools should go back in early June. My nieces and nephews are at their wits end . They need to be with other children
  • Options
    justin124 said:

No point Boris clapping if he can't PROTECT the NHS with PPE...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eadric said:

You need your eyes tested!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Nigelb said:

Even in those deeply cynical terms, that is almost certainly a miscalculation.
    Not only because it won’t keep the economic plates spinning, but also as it seems quite likely (unless there are strong seasonal effects that slow the outbreak) that rural areas will see a big increase in cases.

There is little evidence that the administration is listening to the people in the know, they dismissed the CDC projection only the other day. Also, what's happening in reality, and what Trump and co. will claim is happening are not necessarily going to be the same thing.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    glw said:

eadric said:

33 million unemployed is hardly spinning plates. They are smashed beyond repair before November.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited May 2020

HYUFD said:

eadric said:

You need your eyes tested!
    Well she certainly beats Cherie Blair and Samantha Cameron or Philip May and Dennis Thatcher if looks alone are the criteria (though on that basis Melania Trump would be the best First Lady now, being even more beautiful than Jackie Kennedy was)
  • Options

tyson said:

I really think schools should go back in early June. My nieces and nephews are at their wits end . They need to be with other children
    My children have taken it well so far but yesterday my daughter was quite upset saying she misses her school friends and Rainbows friends.

If the schools don't go back in June then it will be September when they can at the soonest realistically. That's half a year without mixing with other children like normal, it is a long long time.
  • Options

tyson said:

Let's get this clear...your nieces and nephews are at their wits end...therefore we should open schools...don't worry about the lockdown, a second spike, the long term impact on the economy, the chaos this could bring....forget the stress of the last 7 weeks...let's just go for it because...well because......good plan comrade based on...sweet fuck all...

How is your missus coping? Is she sharing some of that PPE that she was being over allocated?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339
    Nigelb said:

tyson said:

Those missed grammar lessons are taking their toll, though.... :wink:
    This ... that i have been.using of late idms catching....
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595

Lawks. When was the last time that the Telegraph was this positive about anything that a Labour politician said?
    They've been surprisingly very critical of the government recently, not a popular line among the readership judging by the comments.
This discussion has been closed.