Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If this trend goes on Johnson’s CON government will soon have

1235»

Comments

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341
    valleyboy said:

justin124 said:

Jonathan said:

Ave_it said:

It's a big few weeks coming up for the government. We need to see real progress on dealing with COVID 19 by end May in terms of reducing infection rates, hospitalisations and deaths, together with some genuine progress on loosening social restrictions ie as a minimum allowing one household to engage freely with another household from 1 June.

If this doesn't happen the government severely risks losing the goodwill and support of the people. And I say this as a gentle and moderate Government supporter.

You don’t have that much time.
    Popularity and unpopularity is part of politics, but only 6 months into this parliament Boris has no need to be looking at the opinion polls either way
    I agree with that - but it has to be very likely that he will be less popular in 2024 than he is at the moment.
    It depends on the outcome of covid down the line to be fair

It could go either way
    Serious question. The Tory party can be pretty ruthless when a leader falls out of favour. Can you see Boris Johnson blotting his copy book to the extent he is forced out. Is his own party imay be more likely to unseat him than Labour?
    Yes; if Boris is no longer popular then what is the point of him? He was elected leader because of his poll leads, not his politics. Look back to the general election and note that Boris won on Labour's 2017 platform. Boris won by being a better Jeremy Corbyn rather than a better Theresa May. Indeed, Boris ran against Cameron and May. Though having said all that, I think Boris may well retire before he is pushed.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Ave_it said:

It needs to be done!

Income tax - workers have benefited from furlough and pensioners from lockdown as they are most at risk - its fairer to put it on income tax than NI

State pension freeze - entirely reasonable, pensioners have done well out of triple lock.

Maybe some other things should be included eg restrict tax relief on pension contributions to basis rate, will save a huge amount of money

I agree it all needs to be paid for.

I'd also add cancelling the extra 20k rozzers to the list.
    HS2 needs to be GONE. Not kidding now. Hearing a rumour it is still full speed ahead? Daft.

Trident isn't making a huge case for itself either at the present time. Not like we can fire it at a disease...
    Foreign aid too. We need that money.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341
    edited May 2020
    Deleted -- blockquotes!
This discussion has been closed.