Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Next month it’ll be the 50th anniversary of GE1970 – the ONLY

12346»

Comments

• tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    edited May 2020

tyson said:

RobD said:

Coronavirus vaccine taken by tablet instead of injection is about to go into human trials - and scientist in charge says he believes there WILL be a vaccine by next year

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8320209/Coronavirus-vaccine-taken-tablet-instead-injection-human-trials.html

Any update from the Oxford team?
    I believe mid June is when they will have an idea if this could be a goer.
    I think WHO and Boris have put the cat on the roof on that one......

I once watched Boycott and Chris Tavare bat out the best part of a day at Old Trafford.....Covid is going to be the slow suffocation of the planet....

There will be BC and AC....

But...human beings routinely face catastrophic events...it is just that we are now living through one (like many of our ancestors at various points)
    When did you see Boycott and Tavare bat at Old Trafford ???

The only example I can think of was the 1981 Test against Australia.

When Botham scored a century in under 100 balls:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/17031/scorecard/63293/england-vs-australia-5th-test-australia-tour-of-england-1981
    That is it...1981...I saw Botham's century...it was a much better knock that the one in Headingly......I went to every day of that test, and on the video coverage I can see the camera move onto me and my mate after Both knocked up his hundred....I seem to recall that Tavare got one of the slowest 50's beforehand, ergo my reference to Covid...

And...Graham Yallop threw a tangerine in our direction that someone had chucked at him.....
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,016

OllyT said:

ydoethur said:

Wales worst region by far in England and Wales for covid 19 infection rates

Wales needs to throw out labour in 2021

To be blunt, BigG, although I agree with you on the need short of an absolutely sensational result it’s damned difficult to see any government being formed that doesn’t include Labour.

I think Tories - most seats but a Labour-Plaid-Green (if any) coalition government would be a reasonable bet. The snag is that unless the Tories or Plaid win an outright majority, one of which is out of the question and the other of which is extremely unlikely, then Plaid will almost certainly back Labour ahead of the Tories.
    The fact that the Tories have no obvious allies in either Wales or Scotland is going to make it extremely difficult for them to form a government under their PR systems.

As Labour appear more electable in 2024 the Tories will have a similar problem, The LD's, Nat's and Greens would be very unlikely to enter a coalition with them. First-Past-the-Post will ride to their rescue again I expect.
    Whenever the conversation turns to the Tories' Hung Parliament problems, I always wonder how many English Conservatives would secretly welcome the break-up of Britain. Scottish independence would render their position vastly more secure.
    I think I'm the only Tory on this site that openly welcomes the break-up of Britain.
    Most probably
    Yes, I'd have thought that Conservative and Unionist Party affiliation meant you supported the Union at least in public...

tyson said:

tyson said:

Has Grant Shapps actually nationalised TFL and taken it over ?

I think by the time we get through Covid 19....without a vaccine and years maybe from now....I don't know what won't be nationalised.....
    Nice to know there is a silver lining.
    It could have been worse...there could have been a nuclear war....don't forget we've had a deranged madman at the helm of the US these last years

We have to take the positives when you can take them....
    Here's a thought for you:

What would Trump do between losing and leaving office ?
    I would guess...set up the Trump News Channel which is what he wanted to do in 2016 after his expected loss....

I just hope that he get's the virus and suffers a long, locked in life experience before then on a ventilator....

tyson said:

RobD said:

Coronavirus vaccine taken by tablet instead of injection is about to go into human trials - and scientist in charge says he believes there WILL be a vaccine by next year

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8320209/Coronavirus-vaccine-taken-tablet-instead-injection-human-trials.html

I once watched Boycott and Chris Tavare bat out the best part of a day at Old Trafford.....Covid is going to be the slow suffocation of the planet....

But...human beings routinely face catastrophic events...it is just that we are now living through one (like many of our ancestors at various points)

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/17031/scorecard/63293/england-vs-australia-5th-test-australia-tour-of-england-1981
    I just checked out that scorecard....it's like PTSD remembering that partnership between Boycs and Tavare. Boycott had an elegance about the way he defended......but seeing Tavare scratch around was sooooooooo boring
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,968
    tyson said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

That is it...1981...I saw Botham's century...it was a much better knock that the one in Headingly......I went to every day of that test, and on the video coverage I can see the camera move onto me and my mate after Both knocked up his hundred....I seem to recall that Tavare got one of the slowest 50's beforehand, ergo my reference to Covid...

And...Graham Yallop threw a tangerine in our direction that someone had chucked at him.....
    Impressed.

Tavare scored 78 from 289 balls in that innings.

He was the most defensive batsman I've ever seen for England - Boycott could be as bad when out of form but was fine when in form and in the mood.
  • you could say it's the only time since 1841. In 1906, the Unionists had already resigned while in 1945, the Tories did have a working majority but one which they'd acquired as part of a national government (and had only been out of coalition with Labour for a month).
  • marshall123marshall123 Posts: 3
    edited May 2020
    Before we get too far into 'mountains to climb', the size of the losing party's deficit doesn't seem to affect its chances of winning next time. Since WW2 it's been: Less than 50 seats behind W3 L4, 50-100 W2 L4, 100-150 W1 L1, 150-200 W1 L2, >200 W 1 L 2.
    Once chance in three for 3 of the 5 categories
This discussion has been closed.