Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Joe Biden’s VP pick – the case for Amy Klobuchar

Comments

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,177
    HYUFD said:

Biden vs Trump is America asking the world to quarantine them until 2025. Can't we have the one on the left as the Presidential nominee and the one on the right as Veep?

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1260955716644470784

The one on the left has no qualifications for political office, apart from being First Lady. Hillary Clinton says Hi.

The one on the right is ineligible for the Presidency.

What the Democrats needed was -

- 45ish
    - 2 term, state Govenor
    - Fit
    - Articulate
    - Moderate with some interesting policy ideas
    - Good relationship with minorities
    - Good relationship with the unions
    No Democratic candidate in the primaries met those criteria
    Indeed. However as the Primaries were not completed due to the Pandemic the DNC have more of a fig-leaf than normal for interfering and putting in the candidate they want.

Andrew Cuomo vs Donald Trump has already been a road test for how the campaign would go. Take all of the clever Biden campaign staffers, keep doing the "look what a wazzock Trump is" videos but with Cuomo on the end. The exact same process SAW did with Nothing Can Divide Us, erase the Rick Astley vocals and add in Jason Donovan...
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,247
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:
    Back to Basics II : The revenge of the moralising Tory.
    The state of this reply. Pathetic.
    If ministers want people to change their habits, they will need to be seen to lead the way.

If it's bikes they want, then ditch the ministerial limos and make the roads safe for cyclists.
    The government is chucking £2 billion at pop-up cycle lanes and similar measures. The downside may be increased pollution by slowing ministerial limos and other cars but who knows?
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/2-billion-package-to-create-new-era-for-cycling-and-walking
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    DavidL said:

TGOHF666 said:
    I queried this last Sunday. I can say it was Sunday because the BBC spent most of the day reporting that a relaxation of the lockdown had caused a spike in cases in Germany in anticipation of a Boris’s address for the nation. Just trying to be helpful no doubt but I couldn’t see any evidence of a spike in the worldometer data. It appears that there still isn’t.
    Indeed. I don’t recall where but I read someone somewhere calling it out as utter horseshit. Seems they were right to do so.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    Socky said:

In the case in question, the MBAs were reading the report.

It was written by ignorant fools* who only had experience in setting up and running industrial plants in various countries.

I think that fashion plays a much bigger role in all decision making than we admit.

Outsourcing has been very fashionable.
    Exactly. The number of times I have encountered senior people who go with whatever the latest article in a gloss mag says...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. JohnL, if there's one thing Boris Johnson can do, it's piss away taxpayers' money chasing headlines.
  • Options
    An SNP MP is arrested and charged and it barely creates a mention. Interesting times.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    There does seem to be at least potential responses to the lockdown so far as health is concerned. One leads to the Coronastone. A good friend of mine claims that he plans to sue Ikea because his new wardrobe has shrunk all his suits. The other is a slightly frantic attempt to improve fitness. Another friend was of the view that coming up behind some new joggers in Edinburgh and coughing might significantly reduce the medium term demands on the NHS.

But overall if the UK does end up with a slightly higher fatality rate than average (which seems likely) our pre-existing obesity issues, with their consequences in diabetes, is likely to have played a major part and it is just possible that the message that modern medicine can't do everything and that we are responsible for our own health can be usefully reinforced.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Socky said:

It was written by ignorant fools* who only had experience in setting up and running industrial plants in various countries.

I think that fashion plays a much bigger role in all decision making than we admit.

Exactly. The number of times I have encountered senior people who go with whatever the latest article in a gloss mag says...
    What I find in IT is that a lot of management hate non management people earning more than them.

One prime example was a bank who couldn't understand why their IT department had less staff than an entire subsidiary but the budget was twice as much.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:
    If ministers want people to change their habits, they will need to be seen to lead the way.

If it's bikes they want, then ditch the ministerial limos and make the roads safe for cyclists.
    If there is one thing the PM should not be accused of, it is not acting to make roads safer for cyclists. He has probably done as much as anyone to have increased the numbers and improved safety.
  • Options
    Mr. Shark, what's the arrest about?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    "It's alright for you thinnies" Lol you can imagine Bozza yelling this to Hancock.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    eek said:

Socky said:

What I find in IT is that a lot of management hate non management people earning more than them.

One prime example was a bank who couldn't understand why their IT department had less staff than an entire subsidiary but the budget was twice as much.
    Very true - so they outsource it too a shed in Mumbai and wonder why 10x the staff on a fraction of the money ending up being less productive.

This is part of the reason contracting became so fashionable - you could pay someone the going rate as a contractor, but you couldn't have a report on a higher salary than the manager, due to banding.

There is also a general fear of the technically qualified - the generalist managers are being heavily chopped, these days.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting question.

Is Biden, in making this pick, effectively although unknowingly, picking the next President of the United States? It is a long time since I saw a presidential candidate who looked so likely to fail to complete his term due to ill health in which case Biden is going to be deciding who the next POTUS is sometime over the next couple of months.

I hope so.

The alternative is either Trump winning another four years or four years of dementia Biden followed by the GOP regaining the White House (since the Veep would be overwhelming favourite for DNC in 2024). Neither is an appealing scenario.
    If Trump loses could be Romney as the next president after Biden in 2024.

Romney is the anti Trump in the GOP as Hunt is the anti Boris here in the Tory Party
    Can't see the appeal of Hunt. He didn't do a great job at Health; anyone who sets out to antagonise the medics isn't well advised, and he was one of the people who buried Cygnus.
    Hunt's main advantage is he was Boris' main opponent in the leadership election and refused to serve in the Boris Cabinet.

So like Romney is not contaminated by Trump if Trump loses having voted to impeach him, Hunt is not contaminated by Boris if Boris loses either
    If that's his main advantage......
    If he refused to serve in Boris Govt., then that does suggest some common sense somewhere. Although TBH I thought he didn't fancy the job he was offered. Didn't he want to b Foreign Sec and was offered Health? Stand to be corrected, of course.
    If only he'd known that Health was going to become absolutely central to the government's entire program...
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Pulpstar said:

"It's alright for you thinnies" Lol you can imagine Bozza yelling this to Hancock.

Tackling obesity should be right up there in the govt long term agenda. In the top 10 policy objectives, maybe top 5. It will make a real difference to peoples lives.

And unlike most other objectives it can be delivered cheaply and then go on to reduce costs in health and care, whilst improving the economy and productivity.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting question.

Is Biden, in making this pick, effectively although unknowingly, picking the next President of the United States? It is a long time since I saw a presidential candidate who looked so likely to fail to complete his term due to ill health in which case Biden is going to be deciding who the next POTUS is sometime over the next couple of months.

I hope so.

The alternative is either Trump winning another four years or four years of dementia Biden followed by the GOP regaining the White House (since the Veep would be overwhelming favourite for DNC in 2024). Neither is an appealing scenario.

Romney is the anti Trump in the GOP as Hunt is the anti Boris here in the Tory Party
    Can't see the appeal of Hunt. He didn't do a great job at Health; anyone who sets out to antagonise the medics isn't well advised, and he was one of the people who buried Cygnus.
    Hunt's main advantage is he was Boris' main opponent in the leadership election and refused to serve in the Boris Cabinet.

So like Romney is not contaminated by Trump if Trump loses having voted to impeach him, Hunt is not contaminated by Boris if Boris loses either
    If he refused to serve in Boris Govt., then that does suggest some common sense somewhere. Although TBH I thought he didn't fancy the job he was offered. Didn't he want to b Foreign Sec and was offered Health? Stand to be corrected, of course.
    If only he'd known that Health was going to become absolutely central to the government's entire program...
    Given the mistakes the current Health minister has made (thinking partly as much about having to carry the can for mistakes rather than making them himself) Hunt may still get a second chance.

I note (without surprise) that NHS Scotland have had to take control of an HCOne care home. I'm awaiting the subsequent report that it was a resident discharged by NHS Scotland who was patient zero.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

Amazon Prime have run out of Llamas. Trying Argos.

There are some llamas in Bridgefoot which is in easy walking distance of me. How close and personal do I need to get with them? I fear looking at them over the fence won't cut it.
    Don't they spit when irritated?
    Is that enough? My wife assures me that I can be really annoying.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

There does seem to be at least potential responses to the lockdown so far as health is concerned. One leads to the Coronastone. A good friend of mine claims that he plans to sue Ikea because his new wardrobe has shrunk all his suits. The other is a slightly frantic attempt to improve fitness. Another friend was of the view that coming up behind some new joggers in Edinburgh and coughing might significantly reduce the medium term demands on the NHS.

But overall if the UK does end up with a slightly higher fatality rate than average (which seems likely) our pre-existing obesity issues, with their consequences in diabetes, is likely to have played a major part and it is just possible that the message that modern medicine can't do everything and that we are responsible for our own health can be usefully reinforced.

IIRC the Prudential Vitality scheme (private health insurer rewarding fitness) has been a very interesting success.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,425
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:
    Very rare that I agree with Fraser Nelson these days but I think we are going to have to try some sort of regional controls here. Even in Scotland if you are not in a care home the risk of CV seems pretty minimal outside greater Glasgow. That might not always be the case but there are a lot of people isolated from family and friends, struggling with depression and the multiple side effects of that or in need of treatment for unrelated conditions who are being locked down and are at minimal risk. And there are some who want to go back to work too. People whose wages are not being paid by the State in the main.
    Unfortunately there is a conflict of interest in the population.

Those working for the public sector (like me) with a guaranteed income and pension are, relatively, content with the lockdown and have no problem with it being extended. Why should we? Safety first and all that. Scotland, of course, has a huge host of comfortably-off middle-class white collar public sector workers who dominate the political system.

My thoughts are with the poor blighters who are in the private sector, are self-employed, who run small businesses, and have mortgages to pay. This situation must seem horrific to them. No-one is clapping for them at 8pm on a Thursday. But I suspect their interests will simply be ignored by the priviligentsia.

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

There are some llamas in Bridgefoot which is in easy walking distance of me. How close and personal do I need to get with them? I fear looking at them over the fence won't cut it.
    Don't they spit when irritated?
    Yep so that might be personal enough.

Also you can race llama for those desperate for a bet. They even do hurdles, although in fairness the hurdles are about 30 cm high and they still fail badly.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    Interesting piece from Fraser Nelson.

I’m not a fan; but that’s thoughtful and well-argued.
  • Options
    Mr. Above, more likely it'll be a self-righteous drive to grab taxes and drive up living costs whilst delivering moralising sermons.

Cutting obesity is a good thing but can only happen through individual action. People have personal responsibility, our diets aren't dictated by the state, and Acts of Parliament won't stop chocolate being tasty.

Not to mention it's entirely possible to be thin and unfit (I speak from experience) or fat and fit (gladiators tended to be chubbier than the modern day stereotype).
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

If there is one thing the PM should not be accused of, it is not acting to make roads safer for cyclists. He has probably done as much as anyone to have increased the numbers and improved safety.
    I refuse to believe that cycling in London with its pollution levels can be good for anyone's health, even if you don't get flattened. It must be the equivalent of smoking 40 a day.
  • Options
    Mr. Malmesbury, sounds almost like the black box that car insurers use to measure driving behaviour and alter premiums accordingly (lower for safer drivers).
  • Options

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:
    Very rare that I agree with Fraser Nelson these days but I think we are going to have to try some sort of regional controls here. Even in Scotland if you are not in a care home the risk of CV seems pretty minimal outside greater Glasgow. That might not always be the case but there are a lot of people isolated from family and friends, struggling with depression and the multiple side effects of that or in need of treatment for unrelated conditions who are being locked down and are at minimal risk. And there are some who want to go back to work too. People whose wages are not being paid by the State in the main.

Those working for the public sector (like me) with a guaranteed income and pension are, relatively, content with the lockdown and have no problem with it being extended. Why should we? Safety first and all that. Scotland, of course, has a huge host of comfortably-off middle-class white collar public sector workers who dominate the political system.

My thoughts are with the poor blighters who are in the private sector, are self-employed, who run small businesses, and have mortgages to pay. This situation must seem horrific to them. No-one is clapping for them at 8pm on a Thursday. But I suspect their interests will simply be ignored by the priviligentsia.

That is exactly how I feel when I hear NIcola saying safety first. My income is down about 80%.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting question.

I hope so.

Hunt was Foreign Sec. I think he was offered Defence which would have been a demotion.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    DavidL said:

Wait, you mean there's still such a thing as personal responsibility in the UK? Could have fooled me last Sunday when everyone shat the bed because Boris didn't list all 34 Millon different scenarios of what is and isn't possible.
  • Options
    Mr. L, if only they realised where their salaries came from...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Wait, you mean there's still such a thing as personal responsibility in the UK? Could have fooled me last Sunday when everyone shat the bed because Boris didn't list all 34 Millon different scenarios of what is and isn't possible.
    I am not saying there is. I am saying that there should be. It's a subtle difference, right enough.
  • Options

Mr. Above, more likely it'll be a self-righteous drive to grab taxes and drive up living costs whilst delivering moralising sermons.

Cutting obesity is a good thing but can only happen through individual action. People have personal responsibility, our diets aren't dictated by the state, and Acts of Parliament won't stop chocolate being tasty.

Not to mention it's entirely possible to be thin and unfit (I speak from experience) or fat and fit (gladiators tended to be chubbier than the modern day stereotype).

Absolute nonsense.

If the govt mass produced super sized burgers and gave them out free the country would get much fatter.

If the govt offered free gym, sports and healthy food and promoted a healthy lifestyle from the start of school the country would get a lot healthier.

So govts can influence how healthy we are and weight is a big part of that. In real life we are not looking at either extreme, but we would be a happier, healthier and richer country if we take health more seriously.
  • Options

Mr. Shark, what's the arrest about?

Neighbourly dispute over a flag. Scotland.
  • Options
    Interesting, Tangerine Dream 19 minutes into Phaedra and Pink Floyd 6:30 into Dark side of the moon. Have a listen..
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

I refuse to believe that cycling in London with its pollution levels can be good for anyone's health, even if you don't get flattened. It must be the equivalent of smoking 40 a day.
    I read running in central London improves your health in the winter but is a net negative in summer because of higher air pollution. Hopefully not the case this year with lower traffic.
  • Options

Mr. Malmesbury, sounds almost like the black box that car insurers use to measure driving behaviour and alter premiums accordingly (lower for safer drivers).

Yes - in the Vitality scheme, they subsidise the purchase of fitness items. They heavily encourage you to purchase a watch type fitness tracker (you can get the rewards without it, but it's fiddly). You link that through to their systems.

The rewards included massive discounts on some airline flights (ha!), free cinema tickets (ha!) on a weekly basis and other reasonably valuable stuff

All based on *sustained* levels of activity - points towards levels (sliver, gold etc)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting question.

I hope so.

Hunt was Foreign Sec. I think he was offered Defence which would have been a demotion.
    Rat Eyes might have actually been ok at that. Better than Ben "Swain" Abbott anyway.
  • Options

Something like the Vitality points for exercise scheme would have half the population jogging in 10 minutes. Without having to close the country....
  • Options
    Mr. Malmesbury, sounds sensible.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    Interesting article on Warren.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/05/elizabeth-warren-biden-vice-president/611497/

I hadn't realised she recently lost a brother to the virus.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

That is exactly how I feel when I hear NIcola saying safety first. My income is down about 80%.
    Well, maybe she and her mates will show solidarity and donate 80% of their income to a good cause.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

DavidL said:

IIRC the Prudential Vitality scheme (private health insurer rewarding fitness) has been a very interesting success.
    Maybe, but they're still very much bit part players in a market dominated by Bupa and AXA.
  • Options
    Is visiting your hairdressers house to pick up hair dye an essential trip when your message to your country is 'stay home, save lives'?
  • Options

Something like the Vitality points for exercise scheme would have half the population jogging in 10 minutes. Without having to close the country....
    I worked as a private medical insurance broker for 20 years and Vitality made a big difference to peoples attitudes. The other insurers had to fall in line but none offer the benefits of the Vitality programme.

To start with my youngest lives in Putney, her gym membership was £78 a month but as she had a Vitality policy it was halved.

Speaking personally my BMI is 33, I don't have room for gym equipment at home so I will be joining a gym as soon as they reopen.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    It annoys me when these things are referred to as a one way request, some sort of 'gift' we have asked for. Presumably we also suggested EU goods for export to Britain could be tested in EU labs? They export more to us than we do to them ffs.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

They will have a vote next year though and if they lose their jobs and incomes they will not be voting SNP
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

Absolute nonsense.

If the govt mass produced super sized burgers and gave them out free the country would get much fatter.

If the govt offered free gym, sports and healthy food and promoted a healthy lifestyle from the start of school the country would get a lot healthier.

So govts can influence how healthy we are and weight is a big part of that. In real life we are not looking at either extreme, but we would be a happier, healthier and richer country if we take health more seriously.
    In principle you're somewhat right. In practise the Government doesn't have a clue what constitutes healthy food, or indeed healthy people. As Governments always do, they would get it wrong, and inflict more harm than good.
  • Options

I worked as a private medical insurance broker for 20 years and Vitality made a big difference to peoples attitudes. The other insurers had to fall in line but none offer the benefits of the Vitality programme.

To start with my youngest lives in Putney, her gym membership was £78 a month but as she had a Vitality policy it was halved.

Speaking personally my BMI is 33, I don't have room for gym equipment at home so I will be joining a gym as soon as they reopen.
    Do you have a sense for what proportion of the market is individual policies versus group schemes via people's employers? One of the issues is that, if people just get moved around between providers on the whim of their HR/procurement department, there's potentially a lot of people who have the Vitality benefits but don't use them, and more who would use them but can't get access.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Interesting question.

I hope so.

Mitt Romney would be a reassuring figure in the White House. But has probably burnt too many boats so far as Republican Party is concerned. He voted to impeach Trump - admirably principled, but surely more than enough to create a host of bitter enemies.
    Romney needs Trump to lose in November, ideally by a landslide, to have a chance of being GOP nominee again in 2024
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

I think either Klobuchar or Whitmer would be the best VP picks for Biden. Both relatively young and represent key Midwest swing states Biden has to win to win the Electoral College

Whitmer is likely to be too controversial given the reaction to her lock down policies, which have been seen as hard line. I think it is too risky for Biden. She could easily mobilise opposition in Michigan.

Klobuchar is a better pick for the Mid-West but I'm not sure she adds much beyond protecting Minnesota and possibly helping in Iowa.

Re whether Biden will go for a African-American VP pick, he doesn't really need to - his support in that constituency is high and Harris didn't do particularly well there. Plus Harris' record as a AG is fairly controversial so it wouldn't help him much I suspect.

I think where the surprise might come for the VP pick is that he picks a Hispanic VP. There are some signs in the polling that the Democrats may be seeing more leakage from the Hispanic vote than the AA vote. If that's the case, you have two candidates, Catherine Cortez (Nevada Senator) and Michelle Lujan (New Mexico Governor). Both would help in the SW, particularly with Arizona and possibly in Texas as well, as well as the general Hispanic vote; both are low risk (Nevada's Governor is a Democrat and NM's Lt-Gov is a Democrat); and both are generally well regarded. Cortez is at 16/1 and Lujan at 50/1 as the VP pick with Ladbrokes but I think Lujan may be the better bet - Cortez apparently doesn't speak Spanish (but understands it) and there are question marks whether she wants the job
    He doesn't need a Hispanic, Hillary won Nevada, New Mexico and Colorado unless he picks someone from Arizona, the only western swing state Trump won.

He needs the Midwest
    Or Texas...
    I guess if Biden wins Texas, then he has probably already won without Texas. But should still be a Dem long-shot target.

I think Biden wins with the states Clinton won plus Florida and Georgia. Or Florida and Arizona. Or Florida and North Carolina. And some other less likely combinations are also possible. So it's tougher, but even if Trump holds on to all of Penn, Michigan, Wisconsin and Ohio, Biden could still win. If Sanders had been the candidate I guess it would be a lot less likely (Sanders never looked like beating Trump in Florida).
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Given that nurses, care workers, doctors, bus drivers, policemen, supermarket staff etc have been carrying on putting themselves at risk for 2 months now through the worst of this first wave, I wonder if the public are soon going to become resentful of teachers saying they refuse to go back to work until they decide they are safe.

I appreciate some teachers will have been carrying on and there are serious issues at stake but at times it comes across as though teachers believe they are somehow special compared to everyone else, thank goodness nurses and care workers didn't have the same attitude. Perhaps it's just the union bods that seem totally out of touch with what everyone else is going through.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting how this same issue is presented in differing ways depending on political outlook. For the right - cossetted public sector vs exposed private sector. For the left - privileged middle class professionals vs the exploited working class.

Here is Owen Jones with the latter take -

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/12/boris-johnson-working-class-good-luck
  • Options
    Endillion said:

DavidL said:

Maybe, but they're still very much bit part players in a market dominated by Bupa and AXA.
    True but they forced Bupa and AXA to offer fitness incentives to their offering
  • Options

It annoys me when these things are referred to as a one way request, some sort of 'gift' we have asked for. Presumably we also suggested EU goods for export to Britain could be tested in EU labs? They export more to us than we do to them ffs.
    Yes - IF we insist on them testing goods in British labs to ensure they meet (in all likelihood, identical) British standards - then they will face a barrier to their own trade. Perhaps we'll reinstate the "British Standard" that was dropped as part of no-deal planning.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting how this same issue is presented in differing ways depending on political outlook. For the right - cossetted public sector vs exposed private sector. For the left - privileged middle class professionals vs the exploited working class.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/12/boris-johnson-working-class-good-luck
    Either way the private sector working class are being hit hardest at the moment and the public sector middle class surviving best economically the impact of the lockdown
  • Options
    Charles Grant on the challenges Covid-19 poses the EU:

https://www.cer.eu/insights/coronavirus-pushing-eu-new-and-undesirable-directions
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Do you have a sense for what proportion of the market is individual policies versus group schemes via people's employers? One of the issues is that, if people just get moved around between providers on the whim of their HR/procurement department, there's potentially a lot of people who have the Vitality benefits but don't use them, and more who would use them but can't get access.
    The take up when HR buys the Vitality package is very high -

- Get premium stuff - Apple Watches, Garmin, Polar, Brompton etc at big discounts.
    - If you then do a moderate amount of exercise, collect freebies on a weekly basis.
  • Options
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

I think either Klobuchar or Whitmer would be the best VP picks for Biden. Both relatively young and represent key Midwest swing states Biden has to win to win the Electoral College

Whitmer is likely to be too controversial given the reaction to her lock down policies, which have been seen as hard line. I think it is too risky for Biden. She could easily mobilise opposition in Michigan.

Klobuchar is a better pick for the Mid-West but I'm not sure she adds much beyond protecting Minnesota and possibly helping in Iowa.

Re whether Biden will go for a African-American VP pick, he doesn't really need to - his support in that constituency is high and Harris didn't do particularly well there. Plus Harris' record as a AG is fairly controversial so it wouldn't help him much I suspect.

I think where the surprise might come for the VP pick is that he picks a Hispanic VP. There are some signs in the polling that the Democrats may be seeing more leakage from the Hispanic vote than the AA vote. If that's the case, you have two candidates, Catherine Cortez (Nevada Senator) and Michelle Lujan (New Mexico Governor). Both would help in the SW, particularly with Arizona and possibly in Texas as well, as well as the general Hispanic vote; both are low risk (Nevada's Governor is a Democrat and NM's Lt-Gov is a Democrat); and both are generally well regarded. Cortez is at 16/1 and Lujan at 50/1 as the VP pick with Ladbrokes but I think Lujan may be the better bet - Cortez apparently doesn't speak Spanish (but understands it) and there are question marks whether she wants the job
    He doesn't need a Hispanic, Hillary won Nevada, New Mexico and Colorado unless he picks someone from Arizona, the only western swing state Trump won.

He needs the Midwest
    Or Texas...
    I guess if Biden wins Texas, then he has probably already won without Texas. But should still be a Dem long-shot target.

I think Biden wins with the states Clinton won plus Florida and Georgia. Or Florida and Arizona. Or Florida and North Carolina. And some other less likely combinations are also possible. So it's tougher, but even if Trump holds on to all of Penn, Michigan, Wisconsin and Ohio, Biden could still win. If Sanders had been the candidate I guess it would be a lot less likely (Sanders never looked like beating Trump in Florida).
    I'll be disappointed if Texas doesn't go Dem this time. I think it's ripe.
  • Options
    The daily limit on points for Vitality is a bit low, and you can game it if you like but it's a decent enough program. Got all my vitals checked before Covid hit to push me up to gold !
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    Jonathan said:

patagonia.com the go to site surely?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The daily limit on points for Vitality is a bit low, and you can game it if you like but it's a decent enough program. Got all my vitals checked before Covid hit to push me up to gold !

I had a few clients that were on Platinum, the rewards for reaching that far are brilliant
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Are the anti-devolutionists converts to the cause for London or do they think it should be enacted by HMG fiat?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Hilarious seeing former Head of the Civil Service who has since worked with Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell criticising the government for not defending the civil service as being impartial.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Amy Klobuchar might help carry some swing states. More importantly, she has a Cruella De Ville vibe that would allow her to knife Donald Trump effectively while allowing Joe Biden to stay more above the fray. She would be a good choice.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

HYUFD said:
    Are the anti-devolutionists converts to the cause for London or do they think it should be enacted by HMG fiat?
    I've not seen much to suggest that cases are falling (in % terms) faster in London than elsewhere. Indeed there was a very pretty graph that suggests a pretty similar picture nationwide.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Either way the private sector working class are being hit hardest at the moment and the public sector middle class surviving best economically the impact of the lockdown
    Broadly true, I'd say. I side with the "class" take on things - but of course there is overlap because most low paid workers are in the private sector and a great many relatively affluent middle class professionals are in the public sector. Which allows that competing narrative to be constructed too.
  • Options
    I wonder how smart all the Remainers who voted down May's soft Brexit deal are feeling now?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    HYUFD said:
    Ubiquitous, cheap, and very low bandwidth face recognition is on the way very shortly:

Sony unveils first built-in AI image sensors
    https://techxplore.com/news/2020-05-sony-unveils-built-in-ai-image.html

After the experience of this pandemic, how many governments will resist its use ?
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Well, maybe she and her mates will show solidarity and donate 80% of their income to a good cause.
    I can suggest a good cause if they are looking for one!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:
    Ubiquitous, cheap, and very low bandwidth face recognition is on the way very shortly:

Sony unveils first built-in AI image sensors
    https://techxplore.com/news/2020-05-sony-unveils-built-in-ai-image.html

After the experience of this pandemic, how many governments will resist its use ?
    Not ours considering facial recognition trials have already begun in Airstrip One.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

He needs the Midwest
    Or Texas...

Prepare to be disappointed.
  • Options

I wonder how smart all the Remainers who voted down May's soft Brexit deal are feeling now?
    They wouldn't admit they were wrong then, how likely do you think they'll consider themselves wrong now?
  • Options
    Given how abject the government's project management of Covid-19 has been, in a sane world one would wonder why they were so aroused by the prospect of more chaos, pain and suffering.

Sadly, in this world, we don't wonder. We know that it is the chaos, pain and suffering that they desire.
  • Options

Only a crazed zealot would consider Theresa May's deal a soft Brexit deal.

Oh, it's you.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,597
    OllyT said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Given that nurses, care workers, doctors, bus drivers, policemen, supermarket staff etc have been carrying on putting themselves at risk for 2 months now through the worst of this first wave, I wonder if the public are soon going to become resentful of teachers saying they refuse to go back to work until they decide they are safe.

I appreciate some teachers will have been carrying on and there are serious issues at stake but at times it comes across as though teachers believe they are somehow special compared to everyone else, thank goodness nurses and care workers didn't have the same attitude. Perhaps it's just the union bods that seem totally out of touch with what everyone else is going through.
    Had you ever worked in a school you might appreciate the utter impossibility of social distancing even at a fraction of full capacity.

Closing schools early, together with closing pubs/restaurants and banning mass gatherings, was found to have been a significant factor associated with countries which contained the disease more effectively in lockdown.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-05-11/uea-research-finds-closing-schools-most-effective-lockdown-measure/
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    I've not seen much to suggest that cases are falling (in % terms) faster in London than elsewhere. Indeed there was a very pretty graph that suggests a pretty similar picture nationwide.
    I had the halving time for deaths from peak as ten days in London compared to 14 nationwide. We'll see in the fullness of time though how it all shakes out.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    It's an IT project - see my post earlier about management being unwilling to pay IT people their value.

Then multiply it by 20 as you see how little the NHS pay their IT staff.
  • Options

Given how abject the government's project management of Covid-19 has been, in a sane world one would wonder why they were so aroused by the prospect of more chaos, pain and suffering.

Sadly, in this world, we don't wonder. We know that it is the chaos, pain and suffering that they desire.
    But it will be fully sovereign pain and suffering, Alastair. You are still not getting it.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Amy Klobuchar might help carry some swing states. More importantly, she has a Cruella De Ville vibe that would allow her to knife Donald Trump effectively while allowing Joe Biden to stay more above the fray. She would be a good choice.

Yes but she would mainly be seen as up against Mike Pence where I think the De Ville look would be less effective. As said, she helps Minnesota, maybe Iowa and Wisconsin but cannot see much else (but have placed a bet on her)
  • Options
    Difficult to tell who will be more enraged, the Yoons or the Wingers.

https://twitter.com/HTScotPol/status/1261181009418215424?s=20
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

But it will be fully sovereign pain and suffering, Alastair. You are still not getting it.
    It will be self inflicted fully sovereign pain and suffering. That's the bit people are forgetting.
  • Options

They will just switch to Starmer and his pro single market stance
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    edited May 2020
    HMG said some time ago that contact tracing was a necessary requirement for controlling the virus after the lockdown. How's that going?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/uk-minister-admits-less-than-10-of-contact-tracers-recruited

"Only 1,500 of the 18,000 people the government wants to recruit as contact tracers have been appointed"

Let's see how our neighbour Ireland is doing, a country with about 1/14th the population.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/6a6e32-covid-19-contact-tracing-centres/

"There are over 1,500 people trained to work in contact tracing centres."

Yet again the UK response is slow, really disastrously slow, not judged by some impossible standard, but by the standard set by our flawed peers.

There's masses of debate as to whether the lockdown strategy was right, or necessary, but I'm coming to think that the strategy matters less than the competence with which it is implemented.

The UK has done really badly and it is continuing to do really badly, because we're not capable of implementing the plans we make, and this is why we are having bad outcomes - not because one strategy was better than another.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Funnily enough, from my experience, the biggest supporters of a draconian, as long as it takes lockdown have been middle class public sector professionals whose wages and pensions are not impacted currently by the crisis
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

kamski said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

He needs the Midwest
    Or Texas...

Prepare to be disappointed.
    I'm aiming for the stars (Trump thrashed) in order to secure the moon (Trump out).
  • Options
    MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Funnily enough, from my experience, the biggest supporters of a draconian, as long as it takes lockdown have been middle class public sector professionals whose wages and pensions are not impacted currently by the crisis
    Ps I have also found them the worst for not paying their cleaners, dog walkers etc during the crisis as well
  • Options

OllyT said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Had you ever worked in a school you might appreciate the utter impossibility of social distancing even at a fraction of full capacity.

Closing schools early, together with closing pubs/restaurants and banning mass gatherings, was found to have been a significant factor associated with countries which contained the disease more effectively in lockdown.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2020-05-11/uea-research-finds-closing-schools-most-effective-lockdown-measure/
    These are the measures that likely keep R(t) below 1 I reckon.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Neither side wants a deal enough to do one. We would all be much better off accepting that and getting on with preparing for the consequences.

• Options

Endillion said:

- Get premium stuff - Apple Watches, Garmin, Polar, Brompton etc at big discounts.
    - If you then do a moderate amount of exercise, collect freebies on a weekly basis.
    Speaking personally I had as many individual clients as company schemes, but the company policies had anything up to 200 employees on them. In terms of annual premium my individual book made up about 15%.

You are correct about HR moving schemes around, finance directors in particular would look for the cheapest option. If I had a company scheme with a Vitality policy I would try to get my Vitality account manager to come and do a presentation to the employees about the Vitality programme, that would get more employees to engage in the programme.

As a broker I would carry out a whole of market review, one year the UK head of HR for my biggest client (£100k premium), who had been with Vitality for a long time, asked me to doctor the review so that Vitality came out cheapest. The reason being that finance was based in the USA, and they would move to the cheapest premium on offer, but the UK employees loved Vitality and did not want to move.

One problem with the PMI market is that brokers earn much more commission by switching the policy at renewal. In the PMI market initial commission is often double the renewal commission, on individual policies it is at least ten times.

Hence a lot of brokers will move a policy at renewal every chance they get. Personally I did not do that, in fact in over 20 years I never had one single complaint, which when you consider the claims aspect is something that I am very proud of.

By doing things the honest way I retained my clients each year, and when I came to retirement and sold my book it was worth more money as it was deemed to be solid business
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    edited May 2020
    HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1261187709244264449?s=20

//twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1261188079794245632?s=20

Victoria line train!
  • Options

Neither side wants a deal enough to do one. We would all be much better off accepting that and getting on with preparing for the consequences.

There's a lot of truth in that. The EU has higher priorities and the self-radicalisation conveyor belt of Leavers has not been halted by Covid-19.
  • Options
    A great day for Little Scotlanders.

SNP MP arrested and charged over a dispute about a flag.
    Sturgeon breaks her own Stay Home message by visiting her hairdresser to get hair dye
    30,000 test results are missing going back to mid-April. No wonder infection rate is so high.

Shambolic. But Little Scotlanders still have confidence.
  • Options
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

It will be self inflicted fully sovereign pain and suffering. That's the bit people are forgetting.
    Which only adds to the thrill, I suppose, for those with a taste for it.
  • Options

Endillion said:

Speaking personally I had as many individual clients as company schemes, but the company policies had anything up to 200 employees on them. In terms of annual premium my individual book made up about 15%.

You are correct about HR moving schemes around, finance directors in particular would look for the cheapest option. If I had a company scheme with a Vitality policy I would try to get my Vitality account manager to come and do a presentation to the employees about the Vitality programme, that would get more employees to engage in the programme.

As a broker I would carry out a whole of market review, one year the UK head of HR for my biggest client (£100k premium), who had been with Vitality for a long time, asked me to doctor the review so that Vitality came out cheapest. The reason being that finance was based in the USA, and they would move to the cheapest premium on offer, but the UK employees loved Vitality and did not want to move.

One problem with the PMI market is that brokers earn much more commission by switching the policy at renewal. In the PMI market initial commission is often double the renewal commission, on individual policies it is at least ten times.

Hence a lot of brokers will move a policy at renewal every chance they get. Personally I did not do that, in fact in over 20 years I never had one single complaint, which when you consider the claims aspect is something that I am very proud of.

By doing things the honest way I retained my clients each year, and when I came to retirement and sold my book it was worth more money as it was deemed to be solid business
    Cheers for this; interesting stuff. Dishonest brokers with perverse sales incentives is a wider problem than just health insurance.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Looking forwards to our obese PM leading the war on fat.
  • Options

There's a lot of truth in that. The EU has higher priorities and the self-radicalisation conveyor belt of Leavers has not been halted by Covid-19.

We have been promised a golden tomorrow. It's time to deliver.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

He needs the Midwest
    As I said, Whitmer is controversial in her state. There is a risk picking her ends up boosting turnout for Trump in Michigan more than it gets the Democrats voters. John James is also a strong Republican senatorial candidate in Michigan this year so it may be too much of an issue. Klobuchar is better but how much do you think Kloubuchar helps in PA or MI?

Wrong about the Hispanic vote. It plays a surprisingly important part in states such as WI and IA and helps across the US in general, especially if there is a perception Biden will step down which would lead to the election of the first Hispanic President
  • Options
    MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

People like doctors, you mean?

This discussion has been closed.