Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 28 Weeks Later: The Coronavirus Aftermath for the NHS and its

123457»

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,223
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I think they actually mean the UK government "in England":

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1261981892439674881?s=20

Like England they imagine UK = England.
    How’s Contact Tracer hiring going in Scotland?
    I assume it is going well, applications do not close till 22nd , you still have time to apply.
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/coronavirus-scotland-despite-8500-people-22039844

Guernsey has already hired and trained its Contact Tracers - proportionately 50% more than the Scottish Government target.
    So now you know better than the government and scientists on how many tracers they need
    Just making the point that Guernsey has fulfilled 100% of it's target and Scotland 0%. The government's of Guernsey and Scotland face very different challenges - but only one of them hasn't had a new case in 17 days.

I thought we'd buried that ludicrous comparison the other day.

I can confirm that Rockall met its quota long before Guernsey.
    I can also confirm the Flannan Isles have successfully kept below target.
    Mind, we don't know what the lighthousemen actually died of ...
    It was 120 years ago. It was not coronavirus.
    Hmmm... no testing.....
    Different diagnostical categories as well. They'd probably call it galloping consumption or the grippe or something.
    If you want a nightmare - how about the Sweating Sickness returning?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,573
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I assume it is going well, applications do not close till 22nd , you still have time to apply.
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/coronavirus-scotland-despite-8500-people-22039844

Guernsey has already hired and trained its Contact Tracers - proportionately 50% more than the Scottish Government target.
    So now you know better than the government and scientists on how many tracers they need
    Just making the point that Guernsey has fulfilled 100% of it's target and Scotland 0%. The government's of Guernsey and Scotland face very different challenges - but only one of them hasn't had a new case in 17 days.

Not interested in learning from others? Fair enough.
    Carlotta doesn't really mean that. She would be the first person to whine if the Scottish Government actually did what Guernsey did and imposed a 14 day quarantine on all incomers - including at Lamberton Toll and Gretna Green.
    I've been advocating it for weeks. Although it should be a UK external border.
    Fair enough to the first point, and on the second, if your lot wouldn't allow the Scottish Gmt proper powers, then they can **** well take the blame.
    I've been clear throughout - hospitals, care homes, testing, PPE is devolved and the opprobrium heaped on Johnson can equally well be directed at Sturgeon, Foster (and in particular) Drakeford. The external border is Johnson's responsibility alone. Thank goodness for King John.....
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,586

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Carlotta doesn't really mean that. She would be the first person to whine if the Scottish Government actually did what Guernsey did and imposed a 14 day quarantine on all incomers - including at Lamberton Toll and Gretna Green.
    Fair enough to the first point, and on the second, if your lot wouldn't allow the Scottish Gmt proper powers, then they can **** well take the blame.
    It would be an interesting question - I *think* Holyrood would have the power to shut airports in Scotland on health grounds. Likewise ferries.

Under the lockdown rules you could stop people driving into Scotland.

What does that leave?
    Hmm, fair point. The islands ferries are already partly restricted (not sure if it's voluntarily by the companies themselves, albeit under severe public pressure, and I think MacBraynes is nationalised anyway). Not sure about the North Channel. As for driving in, it's currently prescriptive not absolute, as a 14 day closedown has to be. It's one thing to have someone claiming to be doing it for work in an approved sector but another to be able to send him willynilly to a quarantine station.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

MattW said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I hardly think we could learn anything from an island with 60K population , only a Tory could imagine something so bizarre. If you had said similar population small countries I could agree wholeheartedly.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    edited May 2020
    Discussions about schools here are like listening to eleven year olds talking about sex. Factually lacking, experientially bereft and embarrassing to all concerned.

At least the eleven year olds aren’t basing their conversation on whatever their news source told them, I suppose, but they are both amplified by remarkable ignorance,

Those who do have children at school (and most seem to be at private schools, here) have decent knowledge of the consumer side but some of the comments about the delivery side are just laughable. The paucity of TAs for example (and ours are furloughed at the moment), the size of classrooms (15 is packed to the rafters in most cases for many schools, class sizes of 6 to 8 are going to be more the norm), the massive staffing implications when a school is split into live and online, etc., etc.

One factor that repeatedly shows up the problem here is ‘but other countries’. Look at them properly, beyond the Pavlovian soundbite, and you find that schools there are invariably not singled out for different, and weaker, regulations, that they are nearly all in countries with a much lower rate of infection and, importantly, ones that closed down before infections and deaths grew. The late lockdown has costs and keeping the lockdown longer is one of them. I’ve seen photos on news sites of classes with ten students in what looks like an aircraft hanger in comparison to most UK school buildings, for example. Look at Taiwan, they are doing it right. Yes, we are different, but we must learn from them. They can learn nothing from us, to be quite frank.

The UK schools plan is a market stall knock off plan, cheap, shoddily put together and liable to fall apart when you get it home. We have infection rates that leave other nations aghast and we are maybe the only nation whose leader has been close to death in intensive care because of their own lackadaisical approach to safety. We are supposed to trust what they say now after all that has happened here?

There is an obvious solution here, which is to extend this term to Christmas and the school year changes to fit the calendar year. We can buy time regarding being confident about who infects who and it would stop the disadvantaged falling behind, it would enable schools to plan properly for a new normal rather than put in a rushed and piecemeal solution.

Will all concerned listen? Government, schools, unions, parents? Probably nit, but I doubt they are even going to be asked because the ‘we must get back’ movement is too heavily invested in what exists now, lacking the flexibility of thought and action that would be able to use this moment to reinvent a system that was already creaking,
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MattW said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I hardly think we could learn anything from an island with 60K population , only a Tory could imagine something so bizarre. If you had said similar population small countries I could agree wholeheartedly.
    See my comments on Ireland.
  • Options

I expect the picture for England is equally (or more) bleak:

https://twitter.com/TravellingTabby/status/1262012610679132161?s=20

Interesting comparison with Ireland - is the lower infection/higher fatality rate in Scotland a function of lower testing? In other words infections in Scotland understated and fatality rate overstated?

Like other UK countries we are near the top of the worst countries and it si no coincidence. You can see clearly how well managed independent small countries fare much better than when you are a colony taking orders.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I remember when the Times was the paper of record,

https://twitter.com/JamesTCobbler/status/1261945101263265797?s=20

Typical Tory spongers, bleeding the public purse whilst they coin it in.
    Do you even think before commenting ?
    You one of the Times spongers then. Interesting how they get papers out with the workers on furlough, can you enlighten us.
    Its Timpsons who are on furlough.

They have shops not newspapers.
    Timpsons are a great company, doing a great job for their employees.

PS: Sure the Times are up to some skullduggery, they are Tories after all.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I've been clear throughout - hospitals, care homes, testing, PPE is devolved and the opprobrium heaped on Johnson can equally well be directed at Sturgeon, Foster (and in particular) Drakeford. The external border is Johnson's responsibility alone. Thank goodness for King John.....
    Not PPE entirely - PHE took its procurement over, or claimned to on behalfd of the whole UK early on and there were two episodes of major confusion when they gave duff gen to the suppliers as to whom they could supply. And the devolved gmts were not allowed actual participation in the UK (sic) Gmt scientific meetings, which wouldn't have helped them assess the English approach till too late. Yet Mr Cummings was ... But in general I don't wish to disagree. an earlier and more critical approach from all 4 gmts would have been beneficial.

Er, what does John Lackland have to do with it, please.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

Excellent thread @Foxy - I don't envy the task facing those working in the NHS. I would take issue with this:

Non surgical specialities including mental health will be similarly affected, though these get less media attention.

You can't turn on the news these days without hearing about mental health. Sure enough, the Sky News presenter Niall Paterson has just said he's starting to suffer and they'll be discussing it on (I think) the Sophy Ridge show.

Have to say the UK has turned into a bunch of wimps. Everybody seems to be ill and cannot cope with anything nowadays, why does it have top billing in every disorder known to man.
    To be honest Malc we have a close family member suffering from PTSD after rescuing bodies in an earthquake zone. It is not something to dismiss so easily to be honest
    G, I understand people can be really ill with these types of things but why does UK have so high a number for all these ailments and disabilities. It is the saddest , fattest , unhealthiest , most disabled country in the developed world.
    See, when you put it like that you have a really good point.
    That was my point , perhaps not well put the first time.
    A friend of mine has been going on about this & it's really valid. How many obesity-related deaths occur each year in the UK? You don't see a lot of fuss being made about it but his argument is that we should accept coronavirus is around and focus rather on obesity and exercise.

Crisp tax anyone?
    I doubt that these kinds of sin taxes have the intended effect. They simply make things that taste nice less affordable for poor people.
    Positive nudge is probably cheaper, easier to implement. A Vitality type system for the general population would probably save the NHS money.
    When this is finally over the Department of Health should consider paying for fat people to attend slimming clubs. If we could succeed even in getting a fifth of the obese population down into the overweight category and a tenth of the overweight population down into the healthy range then the benefits would be well worth the expenditure.
    I see your point, but - hmmm - that`s a bit too big brother for me.

I don't think a gym subsidy is "big brother". However it does risk the perception that by being fat you get a bonus that other people want but have to pay for.
    Go to a french town of say 20,000 people and it will have public sports and leisure facilities equivalent to an English town of 100,000.

Thats why they get to eat croissants, cheese, four course meals for lunch and still be fitter than us.
    Extra sports and leisure facilities will not help if people will not use them.

A walk every evening is free and very effective for weight loss.
    I am finding it a pretty close run thing. 2 hours of walking versus way too many snacks whilst at home on lockdown. Weight goes up and down but my daughter is just making blueberry pancakes. This might be an up day.
    I've been surprised just how much a long walk with the dog in the evening helps with weight loss. Gym visits I found didn't help much with weight because you didn't lose much and ate like a pig when you got back.
    Going to the gym is also deeply boring, and a waste of money, when it’s far nicer to exercise outdoors. One of the few good things to emerge from this is people exploring their local areas, by bike or foot. I spoke to lady in Wanstead the other day who had lived there for years, and didn’t know it bordered Epping Forest until now.
    Lol! Parts of Epping Forest are in fact to be found in Wansted - Bush Wood and the little copse off the High Street for example.
    And Wanstead Park itself.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Instead they call the shots and then claim it is all Scotland/SNP fault, it is pathetic.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Hmmm... no testing.....
    Different diagnostical categories as well. They'd probably call it galloping consumption or the grippe or something.
    I saw that in "Wolf Hall" - do we know, or are there good guesses what it was? The rapid fatal progression sounded like the second wave of the Spanish Kentucky Flu.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Hmmm... no testing.....
    Just been reading about that in Hilary Mantell's trilogy on Thomas Cromwell, and wincing!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,449
    The total 6 days ago was 152, a drop of 31 on the previous day. This means we could be below 100 a day at the moment.

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern/status/1262019094842413057/photo/1
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    malcolmg said:

Interesting comparison with Ireland - is the lower infection/higher fatality rate in Scotland a function of lower testing? In other words infections in Scotland understated and fatality rate overstated?

Like other UK countries we are near the top of the worst countries and it si no coincidence. You can see clearly how well managed independent small countries fare much better than when you are a colony taking orders.
    What orders are you taking on Health, testing or PPE?

Indeed, you're doing your own research into whether or not you should buy the Roche test "to make sure it's right for Scotland".......
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    Scott_xP said:
    One might have thought that during a pandemic, tumbling confidence in the Government might call for more opposition solidarity not less.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Hmmm... no testing.....
    I saw that in "Wolf Hall" - do we know, or are there good guesses what it was? The rapid fatal progression sounded like the second wave of the Spanish Kentucky Flu.
    Wikipedia isn't very helpful - as so often there are different things on the menu esp if the virus was a bit different anyway from the ones we know. What surprised me is that there was a Picardy Sweat in that area up until a century ago. The last part of England on the continent ...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Instead they call the shots and then claim it is all Scotland/SNP fault, it is pathetic.
    When it comes to Health, testing or PPE it is the Scottish Government's fault.

Or do you only want to take credit for successes and deflect any blame onto London?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

MattW said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

See my comments on Ireland.
    Yes not a great comparison , only excuse would be lesser concentration of population but a flimsy one. Strange the rates in Inverclyde and Midlothian but both have small population numbers even though similar other areas much lower.
    Other surprise for me is more affluent south Ayrshire being higher than north Ayrshire
  • Options

malcolmg said:

What orders are you taking on Health, testing or PPE?

Indeed, you're doing your own research into whether or not you should buy the Roche test "to make sure it's right for Scotland".......
    Carnyx has covered those points.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    I went past the testing station at Penrith today, on both occasions ,I saw no-one using them. No cars waiting, no testing being done, nothing.

Plenty of Hi Vis attendants all looking bored or sat on the grass with their phones.

Is this normal?
  • Options
    Interesting divergence in the favourability ratings:

Net Favourable : ABC1 / C2DE
    Johnson: +1 / +16
    Starmer: +16 / -1
    Patel: -41 / -26

On the other hand:
    Sunak: +37 / +29
This discussion has been closed.