Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Vice President nominee betting. A market that it is better to

1235»

Comments

• Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948

Andy_JS said:

People who can't understand the simple arguments Lord Sumption is making in the video posted earlier really are idiots.

People like Sumption who can't understand that their actions put others at risk are idiots.
    His article in today’s Sunday Times was very well-argued. Have you read it?

Are you still berating people for leaving their own homes in case they have an accident while out and about?
    I'm with the policy of 3 out of the 4 nations. It is only the English government who think it is sensible to drive around the country for no good reason.
    It's not no good reason. People can't be expected to put thier lives on hold forever. I drove 200 miles on Saturday for a day walking in the Cotswolds. Not because I particularly like the Cotswolds (there are nicer places ten minutes down the road from my house), but because it meant I could have a day in the (somewhat socially distanced) company of a young lady I'm in a serious relationship with. We live 150 miles apart, I'd not seen her for over two months. It's difficult to develop a real relationship where marriage is seriously on the cards just via video calls.

Other than each other neither of us interacted with anyone all day, and knowing both of our movements over the last month or so, I'd be very surprised if either of us is currently infected.
    The only elevated risk to anyone was from a car accident from the driving, but that would apply CV-19 or not - it's just part of life.

I'm willing to make (and indeed am making) reasonable sacrifices where there is an obvious benefit to extend the lives of some OAPs. That's not the same as being willing to give up 6 months or more of my life in it's entireity, knowing that most of it is just pointless pain for the sake of it.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,182

isam said:

Lockdown tv

Detectorists BIG HIT
    Gangs of London BIG MISS

Currently watching, and enjoying, Normal People & The Last Dance

Gangs of London is awful...Last Dance is really interesting, not sure if just me or supposed to be this way, but all the main protagonists, other than Phil Jackson, come off as total arses.
    Detectorists is brilliant
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:
    Another twitter user who doesn't understand the point of the Swedish approach, which is to avoid future waves of the virus. There's no point in making comparisons now, during the first wave.
    This. 1000x this.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,468

BBC news. Unbelievable. A woman sat on a crowded beach in I think Dorset, who drove for an 1 1/2 hours to get there, is moaning that there are a lot of people there and "it is quite annoying".

It is extremely silly, although she's also worrying herself unnecessarily. Someone walking around her at less than 2m distance is hardly going to make any difference. They'd need to sneeze in her face or something to pose a real risk, and even then they most likely wouldn't have the dreaded bug anyway.

Fear of Covid-19 is starting to dominate everything for a lot of people and make them behave strangely. Wasn't it just the other day that one of our police forces was compelled to ask people not to walk in the middle of the road just to stick rigidly to the 2m rule, because simply walking past someone along a pavement posed an absolutely negligible risk and you were far more likely to get run over?
    It’s getting beyond silly. Some people have seemingly been driven quite mad with fear. I biked past a lady this weekend, on a grassy hill, on a trail in open countryside. I was a good ten feet from her. She blurted out “you need to be six feet from me”. I just went on my way.
    I don't understand why people who are so terribly gripped with fear are out and about anyway. If they were really, desperately gripped with fear they would be at home.

It’s truly bizarre. I’ve seen lots of people wandering down the middle of blue and red trails in popular mountain biking areas and reacting with sheer terror when mountain bikers pass them.
    I am exercising

You are infringing the safe distance

That would depend on the speed of the MTBers.

Personally I find that a suitable "Good Afternoon" or a ding on the bell is fine; one issue is if the walkers are in headphone lalaland. Sometimes I have taken to singing old folk songs or wartime songs during lockdown, which works well.

The most severe hazard is dogs on those invisible leads, with the owner one side and the dog the other of the track - lethal.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Can't see why he wont win a landslide in November.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,939
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:
    Another twitter user who doesn't understand the point of the Swedish approach, which is to avoid future waves of the virus. There's no point in making comparisons now, during the first wave.
    I thought the point of the Swedish approach was to make sure that the people most able to survive the virus were the ones who got it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2020
    The mayor of Brazil's largest city, São Paulo, has said its health system could collapse as demand grows for emergency beds to deal with coronavirus cases. Bruno Covas said the city's public hospitals had reached 90% and could run out of space in about two weeks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-52701524
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

The mayor of Brazil's largest city, São Paulo, has said its health system could collapse as demand grows for emergency beds to deal with coronavirus cases. Bruno Covas said the city's public hospitals had reached 90% and could run out of space in about two weeks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-52701524

Did he mean days?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,539
    edited May 2020
    "Peter Ebdon: Former snooker champion promotes coronavirus conspiracy theory during BBC interview
    Ebdon believes that the government’s social distancing guidelines are harmful

“There’s an awful lot of brainwashing going on at the moment,” Ebdon said on BBC Radio Five Live. “We’re facing the greatest psychological operation in history.

“Is social distancing harmful? Yes, it probably is. People need touch, need to shake hands. They need to build up their immunity.”"

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/snooker/peter-ebdon-coronavirus-bbc-interview-5live-conspiracy-theory-david-icke-a9518381.html
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,017
    Andy_JS said:

"Peter Ebdon: Former snooker champion promotes coronavirus conspiracy theory during BBC interview

“There’s an awful lot of brainwashing going on at the moment,” Ebdon said on BBC Radio Five Live. “We’re facing the greatest psychological operation in history.

“Is social distancing harmful? Yes, it probably is. People need touch, need to shake hands. They need to build up their immunity.”"

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/snooker/peter-ebdon-coronavirus-bbc-interview-5live-conspiracy-theory-david-icke-a9518381.html

Sumption, Icke, Ebdon and that guy who thinks Irn Bru is a cure. The phalanx of opinions building against the lockdown is gaining strength and depth.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339

Andy_JS said:

Sumption, Icke, Ebdon and that guy who thinks Irn Bru is a cure. The phalanx of opinions building against the lockdown is gaining strength and depth.
    I woke at 6 am. The beautuful.noise of the birds that i have been hearing is veing drowned out by the noise of traffic from the A24.

Lockdown is over.. the people have spoken....
This discussion has been closed.