Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest UK and US polling not good for Johnson’s government and

Comments

• Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Patel’s tone was awful .

When will the mob be turning up at Heathrow baying for blood for those who dare to come into the UK .
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

RobC said:

OllyT said:

TGOHF666 said:
    2 weeks quarantine coming back? Nah, thats for plebs.

Johnson will jump at opportunity to go AWOL for another 2 weeks. In fact perhaps that's Dom's cunning plan - send Boris abroad every 2 weeks and he can hide for months on end.
    Boris being awol from the 5pm briefing spot that prior to his illness he used to regularly attend is little remarked upon. At least subconsciously in the public mind it acts to downgrade the crisis. As for Johnson it keeps him away from the critical press but is that always to his benefit? I suspect had he been attending and more switched on to sentiment perhaps he wouldn't have been outflanked by Starmer on NHS fees for foreign health workers.
    https://twitter.com/Jonathan_MBanks/status/1262964970033229824?s=20
    One of them has a half competent cabinet, the other doesn't?
    There are lies and there are lies, you cannot seriously be trying to say Westminster cabinet has any talent never mind more talent than the Scottish government. You would be laughed out of court with that whopper.
    Which stars in the Scottish administration do you particularly admire?
    I don't admire many , the new financial secretary looks promising mind you. I was more concerned that you thought there was anyone better at Westminster ( Sunak may have promise ) , which would be crazy.
    Agree Sunak may be the best of a meagre front bench bunch in Westminster - I think a lot of SNP talent is also in Westminster (not that I like her much, but Cherry) and lost their seats (Robertson, head and shoulders above the Fat Crofter).
    I like Philippa Whitford as well.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116

TGOHF666 said:
    Is that happening? Shame on those people. Patel speaks a lot more clearly than her boss, and doesn't talk any more bollocks than he does.
    Cummings is a clear speaker?
    I don't know what Cummings sounds like. I believe he's from the NE but went to private school so presumably just sounds like a standard issue posh twat rather than Ant or Dec?
    Yes.
    https://youtu.be/GNaWPV5l4j4
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    Pulpstar said:

7/10 for Patel. Shaky start but she's clearly serious about a bit of much needed jack boot authoritarianism on travel :)

It’s just 3 months late (being generous). Just bewildering.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    Gupta, Professor of Theoretical Epidemiology at Oxford: "But the truth is that lockdown is a luxury, and it’s a luxury that the middle classes are enjoying ..."

They wont be enjoying it so much when their assets are deflating.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    malcolmg said:

Clown car crash incoming....

Home secretary Priti Patel to give UK daily briefing at 17:00 BST, outlining new travel restrictions

'Half competent cabinet' gonna be tested to destruction.
    At least they're let out! Nicola frightened someone will steal her limelight? Nah - that can't be it!
    You are not too bright on quality of leadership and responsibility. Good Generals lead from the front, not from behind the couch.
    Like Eisenhower on D-Day?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,936
    ydoethur said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Is that happening? Shame on those people. Patel speaks a lot more clearly than her boss, and doesn't talk any more bollocks than he does.
    I don't know what Cummings sounds like. I believe he's from the NE but went to private school so presumably just sounds like a standard issue posh twat rather than Ant or Dec?
    Yes.
    Well spoken but still a northern accent.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,292
    kinabalu said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Playing the race AND gender card simultaneously! Talk about your PC shield against scrutiny. Talk about closing down debate of difficult issues such as senior cabinet ministers of only a smidgen above average intelligence.
    Cole is acting like her butler.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    For all you past election coverage lovers, BBC Parliament are showing the 1979 election tomorrow.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

7/10 for Patel. Shaky start but she's clearly serious about a bit of much needed jack boot authoritarianism on travel :)

It’s just 3 months late (being generous). Just bewildering.
    Question Time tonight on R4 has the head of the Guernsey government - Gavin St Pierre - 14 day mandatory quarantine from 19 March and selective quarantining in the weeks before. 22 days without any new cases, only 2 active cases remaining.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    I've consistently criticised Priti Patel and Diane Abbott, am I snobbish middle class white boy?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,141
    ydoethur said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Yes.
    Looks a bit like Ant though tbf.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,664
    Socky said:

kle4 said:

I see they are getting ready to kick the can down the road on the Parliamentary refurbishment again

We should sell it off for development and outsource parliament...
    I don't agree, but they might as well if they're never going to agree to fix it up properly. The point about spending money on it is a red herring - it's never goign to look good to do so, and in fact right now it would be less obvious due to the mass spending elsewhere.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    TGOHF666 said:
    Interesting that you cite a Mail journalist in defence of the Home Secretary, given that newspaper's record in spouting racist tropes, including giving a platform to Katie Hopkins, over the years. And Mr Cole was educated at the very expensive Tonbridge school - presumably he regards himself as upper class rather than middle class.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

TGOHF666 said:
    Interesting that you cite a Mail journalist in defence of the Home Secretary, given that newspaper's record in spouting racist tropes, including giving a platform to Katie Hopkins, over the years. And Mr Cole was educated at the very expensive Tonbridge school - presumably he regards himself as upper class rather than middle class.
    Tonbridge is upper class now? Oh dear.
  • Options
    Patel was dreadful.

PB Tories never come to Abbott's defence.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Yes.
    Worth a watch if you've not seen it before. Great insight into Brexit and his views on the establishment are #ClassicDom.
  • Options

Patel was dreadful.

What is it with Home Secretaries and Shadow Home Secretaries that they are all shit?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Patel was dreadful.

What is it with Home Secretaries and Shadow Home Secretaries that they are all shit?
    Completely agree.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Yes.
    Is that the drunk driving one or the other?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Patel was dreadful.

Amber Rudd as Home Secretary was awesome, she was responsible for two of my 33/1 tips winning in the space of 12 hours.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    Sunak gets high ratings in the same polling that Priti Patel is at the bottom of the pile. Maybe it is not racism, more that she is a nasty, smug thicko?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Yes.
    It’s the one that got caught.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/apr/16/ant-mcpartlin-pleads-guilty-drink-driving
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited May 2020
    Foxy said:

The one with the giant forehead I think.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Patel was dreadful.

Amber Rudd as Home Secretary was awesome, she was responsible for two of my 33/1 tips winning in the space of 12 hours.
    You remind me of the legendary Mr Dancer* who said that the result of the 2016 presidential election was less important than Trump winning North Carolina.

In this view he was tragically mistaken.

*incoming from TSE In 3...2...1...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Gupta, Professor of Theoretical Epidemiology at Oxford: "But the truth is that lockdown is a luxury, and it’s a luxury that the middle classes are enjoying ..."

They wont be enjoying it so much when their assets are deflating.

With £300bn of QE? As if asset prices will deflate. Incomes will, especially in the bottom quartile.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,474
    Foxy said:

Sunak gets high ratings in the same polling that Priti Patel is at the bottom of the pile. Maybe it is not racism, more that she is a nasty, smug thicko?

Maybe it's snobbery.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I get the feeling, Dr, and call me Dr Suspicious if you like, that you’re not the biggest fan of Ms Patel?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,973
    Foxy said:

The nasty, smug, thicko community will now be filing a complaint with the appropriate authorities.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,929
    rcs1000 said:

Phil said:

This explanation misses an important point about the Weimar hyperinflation, which extends to (I think) all hyperinflations that I’m aware of: Weimar Germany had significant external reparations that were demanded of by the Verseilles WWI treaty that were denominated in non-Mark currencies.

I'm not sure that's true. (Well, it's obviously true that Germany had massive external reparations it had to pay. And that strained the budget, and in particular the collapse in world trade reduced Germany's export earnings, which meant it had no physical goods surplus to re-export as reparations.)

What I mean about it not being true is the assumption that hyperinflation is a consequence of excessive external liabilities.

Let's take recent ones: Zimbabwe (nope), Venezuela (the hyperinflation happened before the external liabilities), Brazil (not really), Argentina (yes most recently, but not really in the late 1970s when the country was running a large commodities export surplus).

The causes of hyperinflation are various: most of the countries to experience it had explicit government policies of import substitution and self-sufficiency, quiet a few had big external debts, almost all saw excessive producer protection, a lot saw a period of above average growth (perhaps due to an export boom) come to an end, and the government sought to pretend the good times would continue to roll...

But, and this is born out by reading histories like Taylor's excellent Downfall of Money about Germany's hyperinflation, I think in every case the government saw printing money as the path of least resistance at every turn.

And that is what I fear.
    Zimbabwe had significant external currency obligations: it had to import food after wrecking it’s own agricultural economy. Venezuela likewise surely? They were using oil profits to subsidise imports of everything else & when the oil price cratered they were stuffed. Can’t say I know much about the Argentinian economy.

I agree that governments are often tempted to print to cover obligations, but disagree that this inevitably leads to hyperinflation - that really needs the twin motors of external obligations (be it debt interest payments, food imports, whatever) that are not pricing in the internal currency and a collapsing economy to really drive it.

To put it another way, high inflation is not hyperinflation. This is not to say high inflation is good, it’s not, but hyperinflation is a whole different kettle of economic problems.
  • Options

Foxy said:

The nasty, smug, thicko community will now be filing a complaint with the appropriate authorities.
    I've asked Toby Young's Free Speech Union to come to the defence of those who think Priti Patel is awful.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    Rexel56 said:

Interesting and possibly (uncharacteristically) smart:

https://twitter.com/DominicRaab/status/1263862583154683906?s=20

Why Australia and Canada?

Lots of Hong Kong Chinese in both countries.

Patel should be concentrating on giving Hong Kongers citizenship here, not locking out foreign businessmen and tourists.
  • Options
    I've just watched this and my eyes rolled so much I saw my own optic nerve.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Can’t say I know much about the Argentinian economy.

Have you ever considered running for President of Argentina? You have the necessary qualifications.

Although to be sure of being elected, you must make sure to announce at every turn that the Malvinas are Argentine.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

TGOHF666 said:
    Nah. Her affectation of droppin her g is fuckin irritatin.

Although once you realise she is speaking like Lord Peter Wimsey (as pointed out by @Chris?) the dynamic changes somewhat.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213

I've consistently criticised Priti Patel and Diane Abbott, am I snobbish middle class white boy?

You are a former public school boy! Nuff said? :lol:
  • Options
    From a journalist who has opposed the slightest hint of border control for her entire professional life...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957

TGOHF666 said:
    I went to Tonbridge, would not say I am upper class though
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    TOPPING said:

TGOHF666 said:

Although once you realise she is speaking like Lord Peter Wimsey (as pointed out by @Chris?) the dynamic changes somewhat.
    Less irritatin than that Jacob Rees Mogg!
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Home secretary Priti Patel to give UK daily briefing at 17:00 BST, outlining new travel restrictions

At least they're let out! Nicola frightened someone will steal her limelight? Nah - that can't be it!
    You are not too bright on quality of leadership and responsibility. Good Generals lead from the front, not from behind the couch.
    Eisenhower's not a bad comparison actually. Intimately involved in the planning of Overlord, resisted bullying from various quarters, personally took the weight of the decision to postpone from 5th to 6th, personally met the the airborne troops before they took off, sent inspirational message to all troops at the off, agonised over whether it would be a success and the price to be paid. I doubt there were many allied troops, particularly US ones, who didn't think Ike was with them in spirit at least. Yep, that's leadership.
  • Options
    Unfortunate timing, surely being misquoted by a Tory.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

I am sure China are shaking in their boots, imagine a concerned Raab facing you.
    In terms of "soft power" aligning with Australia and Canada is smart.
    Indeed and offers an alternative middle way in foreign policy if you add New Zealand too midway between the USA and EU
  • Options

From a journalist who has opposed the slightest hint of border control for her entire professional life...
    Instead of playing the woman and not the ball how about arguing about the substantive point of her tweet?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

TOPPING said:

TGOHF666 said:

Less irritatin than that Jacob Rees Mogg!
    Touch and go.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    edited May 2020
    Evening all :smile:

Very disappointed by the decision to expand Ascot from 30 to 36 this races this year.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/coronavirus/new-races-unveiled-as-royal-ascot-broadens-programme-for-prestigious-fixture/434640

Royal Ascot is a quality meeting - arguably the best five days racing of the whole year and while I understand this year is unique, the proposal to add consolation handicaps and other handicaps just dilutes the essence of Ascot.

I've no issue with moving races and the proposed re-organisation of the programme isn't that much of a problem though Gold Cup day in particular now looks very weak.

IF you want to run additional consolation handicaps they should be on an additional sixth day (the Sunday) as a Heath meeting (so not "Royal"). There used to be a Heath meeting on the Saturday (the new 3-y-o handicap over five furlongs was on that card if memory serves) until the Golden Jubilee and that could be resurrected.

There won't be any spectators this year so I don't see the issue of extending the meeting and treating the sixth and final day as a consolation day.

Prize money is going to be substantially reduced as there is no income coming into racing currently and while the media rights will resume as and when racing does there won't be much income coming from betting while the shops remain closed.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

You are a former public school boy! Nuff said? :lol:
    Priti's strong point isn't PR. Diane's isn't maths.

I rather like both of them.

I'm a former comprehensive school boy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Oops - apologies. Very clever but unpretentious has always been the impression I've had of its products.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2020
    Why the 8th June, why yet another 2 weeks? How hard is it to say if your names not down, you gotta stay inside for 2 weeks.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has asked people to "use judgement" when lockdown restrictions are eased from Thursday.

Too confusing...

But no staying alert, right? Can't possibly have the same message as Westminster.
    We are not in some 70's disco with John Travolta
    We are really splitting hairs over "staying alert" vs "use judgement". They both mean the same thing.
    Rob , as per other poster , HMG come out with some great guff, next day they start backtracking , different ones say different things, then they change things due to being unpopular so no-one has a clue what they intended. Sturgeon is crisp clear and gives the position , no-one comes out next day talking different bollox and things move along with one statement and one way to go.
    Their using different donkeys every day to give out the message is confusing , they have no Leader, he is usually AWOL and planning next holiday ( USA this time ). Sturgeon does it herself and gives her clear concise position, she shows she is the Leader and in full command of her brief..
    Sturgeon quite rightly trusts no-one else, because behind her is a big useless void of talent in the SNP. Behind that, there's just a group of bigoted Little Scotlanders.
    Another thick Tory trying to pretend the clowns in Westminster have anything other than space between their ears. Oh how we laughed.
    He aims. He shoots. He misses again. Amazing how you think deflecting a point about the SNP onto Westminster somehow wins an argument. It might work with other bigoted Little Scotlanders, but it doesn't work outside the cult.

When Salmond was in charge, it was clear Sturgeon was the successor. With Sturgeon, there is no-one behind her. The cupboard is empty. Her SNP colleagues in Holyrood are talentless, clueless and useless.
    Keep up in the dunces chair, the point was re Westminster supposedly having more talent, a blatant lie and one you cannot substantiate. Your petulant teenager act with the "Little Scotlander " does you few favours, go annoy other pimply youths like yourself rather than talking shite to adults.
    Understand you are getting a bit doddery, but my point didn't mention Westminster. You just can't help yourself with your Little Scotlander act. You have to turn any mention of the SNP, on to Westminster. No-one is allowed to comment on Scotland, but you are free to make comment on England.

You are a caricature of all that is wrong with the grievance, bigoted element of the SNP.
    you are not right in the tattie, people are entitled to their opinions, if you are a toom tabard lickspittle Scot or a dense Little Englander to paraphrase you, get on with it and stop whining like a big baby an leave the adults to discuss.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Eisenhower's not a bad comparison actually. Intimately involved in the planning of Overlord, resisted bullying from various quarters, personally took the weight of the decision to postpone from 5th to 6th, personally met the the airborne troops before they took off, sent inspirational message to all troops at the off, agonised over whether it would be a success and the price to be paid. I doubt there were many allied troops, particularly US ones, who didn't think Ike was with them in spirit at least. Yep, that's leadership.
    Also prepared a statement taking full responsibility if D-Day turned out not to be a success.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

He was American
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I also think Eisenhower's people skills were also awesome, dealing with egomaniacal show ponies like Patton and Montgomery.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    About 2,500 jobs have been lost and 64,000 bookings have been cancelled with the collapse into administration of Specialist Leisure Group.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Oops - apologies. Very clever but unpretentious has always been the impression I've had of its products.
    Indeed, Eton is upper class, along with to a lesser extent Harrow, Winchester and Westminster.

Tonbridge is more upper middle class.

My father did go to Harrow and there were plenty of sons of titles with him though he was a son of trade
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Also prepared a statement taking full responsibility if D-Day turned out not to be a success.
    And met injured troops in his wheelchair.
  • Options
    Not a good look from Biden, rather like when some Democrats called Colin Powell an 'uncle Tom'
  • Options
    Boris Johnson must really hate F1 which is a shame given how important British teams are to F1.

British Grand Prix chances slim with F1 searching for quarantine solution

Workaround for quarantine after entry to UK must be found

F1 denied exemption but is in talks with government

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/may/22/british-grand-prix-f1-searching-for-quarantine-solution
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

I am sure China are shaking in their boots, imagine a concerned Raab facing you.
    Indeed and offers an alternative middle way in foreign policy if you add New Zealand too midway between the USA and EU
    I think given Five Eyes and so on we'd be much closer to the US than the EU. Especially if America elects a sensible President in November.

I also think we should tack much closer to other major non-NATO allies such as Japan, who I understand want to join Five Eyes.

CANJUK not CANZUK?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

I think given Five Eyes and so on we'd be much closer to the US than the EU. Especially if America elects a sensible President in November.

I also think we should tack much closer to other major non-NATO allies such as Japan, who I understand want to join Five Eyes.

CANJUK not CANZUK?
    Empire 2.0
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Did he skip one more important meeting than Churchill?
  • Options

Instead of playing the woman and not the ball how about arguing about the substantive point of her tweet?
    Do we have any proof that not implementing this measure significantly increased the spread of the virus? Did the scientific advisors strongly recommend it but were slapped down, or did they consider it unimportant? Critical context is missing before we can evaluate the policy and its timing - none of which this hypocritical 'journalist' provides.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Not a good look from Biden, rather like when some Democrats called Colin Powell an 'uncle Tom'
    Perhaps this will bring forward the announcement of a Black Lady VP running mate (so Shadsy can settle our bets).
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Thatcher, Callaghan, Steel as a series of crosses.

https://twitter.com/BBCParliament/status/1263885412755484672

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Government shambles through another day.

It is clear they are making it up as they go along.

The schools are due back on June 1, but a week later, we are effectively banning foreigners from travelling into the country.

The govt are deviating from “the science” too. As far as I can tell, neither of the two policies above have the backing of the government’s own advisors.
  • Options

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

CANJUK not CANZUK?
    Empire 2.0
    Japan was never part of the British Empire, indeed in WW2 much of the Empire was occupied by Japan
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Even Churchill did not skip a fraction of Bozo's record.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

HYUFD said:

Perhaps this will bring forward the announcement of a Black Lady VP running mate (so Shadsy can settle our bets).
    I am slightly worried about that from a betting standpoint - I had thought Biden would either go for Klobuchar to strengthen the Midwest appeal or a Hispanic pick such as Cortez to help with the Hispanic vote but that he would feel as though he didn't need to go for an African American candidate given he felt he had it in the bag.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    HYUFD said:

An Old Tonbridgian - greetings from an Old Alleynian.

Once of your alumni, David Emms, was Master of Dulwich while I was there.

You had E.M Forster, we had P.G Wodehouse. You had Bill Bruford, we had Phil Manzanera. You had the Cowdreys, we had Trevor Bailey.

We also had Nigel Farage but there's no answer to that.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Biden isn't going to have a black female running mate. He has explicitly promised to 'put a black woman on the Supreme Court' which is establishment-Democrat-speak for 'don't blame me when I don't nominate one to be VP'.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

CANJUK not CANZUK?
    Empire 2.0
    Japan was never part of the British Empire, indeed in WW2 much of the Empire was occupied by Japan
    A tiny fraction. Definitely not 'much'.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The Yoons really are crapping it at Sturgeon's ratings. They even had to fire up the Ruthinator today, with mixed results.
  • Options

Getting 5 months out of 18 weeks is not bad. Outside some Far East countries, most quarantine lockdowns started in March. The issue is PHE and the governmentS were following the science the flu pandemic plan for a much less serious virus. But the governmentS get to carry the can and deservedly so.
  • Options

Do we have any proof that not implementing this measure significantly increased the spread of the virus? Did the scientific advisors strongly recommend it but were slapped down, or did they consider it unimportant? Critical context is missing before we can evaluate the policy and its timing - none of which this hypocritical 'journalist' provides.
    We don’t have “proof” but we do have examples of other jurisdictions which did this. They generally have had much smaller case loads.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314

Ask Joe Biden.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Tomorrow looks like the day when the UK will pass Italy in both reported cases per population and deaths per population.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The Yoons really are crapping it at Sturgeon's ratings. They even had to fire up the Ruthinator today, with mixed results.
    The crisis has exposed Sturgeon too, whatever the polling says.

Despite good comms, the SNP have squandered their power. The health system seems to be worse up north than in England, and their COVID-for-care-homes scandal even more egregious.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    kinabalu said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Playing the race AND gender card simultaneously! Talk about your PC shield against scrutiny. Talk about closing down debate of difficult issues such as senior cabinet ministers of only a smidgen above average intelligence.
    Nothing like a bit of manufactured outraged from Cole
  • Options
    Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

CANJUK not CANZUK?
    Empire 2.0
    It was occupied by us and other Allied powers (I think the Americans sent a man or two) after the Second World War.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,118
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

You had E.M Forster, we had P.G Wodehouse. You had Bill Bruford, we had Phil Manzanera. You had the Cowdreys, we had Trevor Bailey.

We had Freddie Laker, Robert Wyatt and Milo Yiannopoulos. And that’s about it.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Greetings, I believe you also had Peter Lilley, Bob Monkhouse, Sir Ernest Shackelton and Chiwitel Ejeifor.

We had Sir Patrick Mayhew, Vikram Seth, Ed Smith and Zak Crawley and Dan Stevens and Keane and David Tomlinson

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314
    TOPPING said:

TGOHF666 said:

:lol: Huntin Shootin Fishin and Controllin immigration.

I like Patel by the way. Diane Abbot too.
  • Options
    'Lookin forward to Priti Patel's briefin on 5', shurely?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

The schools are due back on June 1, but a week later, we are effectively banning foreigners from travelling into the country.

The govt are deviating from “the science” too. As far as I can tell, neither of the two policies above have the backing of the government’s own advisors.

What is inconsistent about those two positions? If things are under control here doing both makes sense.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Greetings, I believe you also had Peter Lilley, Bob Monkhouse, Sir Ernest Shackelton and Vikram Seth.

We had Sir Patrick Mayhew, Vikram Seth, Ed Smith and Zak Crawley and Dan Stevens and Keane

Shackleton wins. End of.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

CANJUK not CANZUK?
    Empire 2.0
    The Japanese occupied the following British colonies, I think:

Burma
    Hong Kong
    Malaya and Singapore
    Papua New Guinea - Never really occupied but certainly viciously attacked.

I would have thought the rest of the Indian Empire on its own, ignoring Africa and the Carribean, was larger than that.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Will £4bn Parliament refurbishment be scrapped? https://t.co/fhmnCVsWu2

— BBC News (UK) (@BBCNews) May 22, 2020
    Just noticed this.

I'm wondering if a lot of Parliamentarians might be privately relieved if the whole place burnt to the ground. It would definitively resolve the thorny problem of the expensive refurb and its terrible optics (as well as the arguments over bringing back physical sittings before the virus is squashed.)

Might even be an opportunity for the Northern MPs to successfully lobby for a change of capital?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Despite good comms, the SNP have squandered their power. The health system seems to be worse up north than in England, and their COVID-for-care-homes scandal even more egregious.
    It's crushing all the folk that used be so complimentary about Sturgeon, the SNP and the NHS in Scotland that are now saying it's all gone to shit. Crushing I tell you!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,141

I sense the quarantine thing is a sop to public opinion.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,118
    HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

CANJUK not CANZUK?
    Empire 2.0
    Really! You mean all those commemorations we had at school for pupils who died to keep Japan British were based on a lie?!?!!!???
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,597

Getting 5 months out of 18 weeks is not bad. Outside some Far East countries, most quarantine lockdowns started in March. The issue is PHE and the governmentS were following the science the flu pandemic plan for a much less serious virus. But the governmentS get to carry the can and deservedly so.
    Deservedly so as ministers should always carry the can for the failings of public agencies.

But even more deserved in this case because:
    1. The creation of PHE as an independent agency, hived it off from the NHS, was one of the many contentious parts of the 2012 Health and Social Care Act.
    2. As a consequence spending on public health was no longer considered part of NHS spending, so it could be cut without jeopardising the government's pretence that it was maintaining NHS (minus public health) spending.
    3. The cuts in public health spending were especially severe because the public health budgets were transferred into the totality of local authority funding, which was then decimated for the rest of the decade.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Loony tunes, another Scotland expert from inside the M25. Go read statistics before talking absolute bollox.
  • Options
    Amazingly, that was before Starmer, his shadow Chancellor or his Shadow Home Secretary entered Parliament.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

https://twitter.com/DominicRaab/status/12638625831546839h06ad ?s=20

CANJUK not CANZUK?
    Empire 2.0
    Really! You mean all those commemorations we had at school for pupils who died to keep Japan British were based on a lie?!?!!!???
    Had Britain fallen to the Nazis in 1940, India might well have ended up under Japanese control
  • Options

Deservedly so as ministers should always carry the can for the failings of public agencies.

But even more deserved in this case because:
    1. The creation of PHE as an independent agency, hived it off from the NHS, was one of the many contentious parts of the 2012 Health and Social Care Act.
    2. As a consequence spending on public health was no longer considered part of NHS spending, so it could be cut without jeopardising the government's pretence that it was maintaining NHS (minus public health) spending.
    3. The cuts in public health spending were especially severe because the public health budgets were transferred into the totality of local authority funding, which was then decimated for the rest of the decade.
    How do you account for the at least as bad (and in the case of Wales, arguably worse) performance outside England?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

The scientists have had a shocker tbh, all of their advice has been crap and inconsistent. It was on their advice that we didn't close the border back in March.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,681
    ydoethur said:

He used to, but he moved to Penarth to be nearer his friends Eadric, Byronic and MysticRose.
    Just as long as they were not all in the same room at the same time.....
This discussion has been closed.