Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cumming warned by police after breaking lockdown rules

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cumming warned by police after breaking lockdown rules

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    :lol:
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Close to first!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,741
    edited May 2020
    The government is Cummings apart. It’s Dom and dusted.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    Ave_it said:

How's Watford?
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Ave_it said:

How's Watford?
    Still top TY!

Hopefully we can stay up

Hope you are well
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,056
    ydoethur said:

The government is Cummings apart. It’s Dom and dusted.

It's SPAD its chips...
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Silly boy.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    PB Tories not exactly lining up to defend their (mad)man.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    Lock him up.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    FPT
    More and more Starmer is starting to look like the only grownup in the room.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,085

Unsurprising, really.
    One chunk probably hate what he's done to the party.
    One chunk probably blame him for the ongoing lockdown.

But he's so central to the Boris project that we're in for a weekend of irresistible force vs immovable object. But if he's not gone by this time tomorrow, the Sunday papers will be grisly.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766

And he's off......so the Russians who go to Greece for a holiday won't be any bother?

https://twitter.com/DavidDavisMP/status/1263864827535032320?s=20

I tend to agree with this.

I would have much stricter quarantines - as in people have to stay in quarantine hotels, not "go home by public transport and then stay there" - for people from higher risk countries, and then more modest checks for people who come from places where CV-19 is broadly under control.

My biggest objection to the government through all of this is a lack of nuance.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

The police have spoken to him. He did the crime, he served his time.

Jenrick survived so should Dom.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Meh.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Classic Dom.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

Classic Dom.

I'm sure he's war-gamed this. :)

People like Jenrick on a personal.

Although to be fair as someone once put it, 'Dominic Cummings has no enemies, only his friends hate him.'
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Unsurprising, really.

But he's so central to the Boris project that we're in for a weekend of irresistible force vs immovable object. But if he's not gone by this time tomorrow, the Sunday papers will be grisly.
    Oh wow - the Sunday papers! What are they doing to do, use stern language?

Hmmm.

While Jenrick was undoubtedly a fool, and was lucky to survive, the fact Himself was a carrier of coronavirus and had every reason to suspect he might be puts this on a different level.

The fact that he’s a stuck up third rate Oedipus Complexer whom nobody likes isn’t exactly going to help him either.
  • I don't know who is advising Starmer but they're good.
    Perhaps Dom was trying to ensure we have herd immunity.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,602
    I care as much about Dom seeing his mum as I do about Sandy’s nightly ‘dickhead’ reports about people leaving the house and doing exercise. Ditto the Boffing Boffin.

Let’s move on.

The lockdown is over.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    BoZo will tough it out until the point of maximum damage then fold.

Like he did with the NHS tax.
    edited May 2020

I don't know who is advising Starmer but they're good.

Do we know who his new chief of staff is?

The mere fact that they haven’t yet caused a major scandal or royally messed up simple politics puts them a class apart from Seumas.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

While Jenrick was undoubtedly a fool, and was lucky to survive, the fact Himself was a carrier of coronavirus and had every reason to suspect he might be puts this on a different level.

The fact that he’s a stuck up third rate Oedipus Complexer whom nobody likes isn’t exactly going to help him either.
    To be honest if he travelled 250 miles on public transport knowing he had covid he must go. No ifs or buts
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    As if Dominic Cummings would let the deputy Prime Minister bring him down.
  • ydoethur said:

The mere fact that they haven’t yet caused a major scandal or royally messed up simple politics puts them a class apart from Seumas.
    His entire staff seems to be - presumably - uncontroversial, since the Mail has dug up nothing.
    ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

Boris should tough it out over Dom. The last thing we need is another scalp.

More likely he reasoned that viruses don’t affect bacteria.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    MaxPB said:

Meh.

Yep. I find it a bit of a really odd non-story.

Like how people on here were convinced the Arcuri thing would lead to Bojo resigning. Where did that one go? Oh yeah, nowhere.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

IIRC Jenrick got away with it because he was delivering a parcel and did not go into his parents' house.

It is not clear whether Cummings may have visited or indeed stayed with his parents. More damningly, however, he appears to have traversed the length of England during a period when he should have been self-isolating with Covid-19 symptoms.

Calderwood and Ferguson were both brought down for less.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

IIRC Jenrick got away with it because he was delivering a parcel and did not go into his parents' house.

It is not clear whether Cummings may have visited or indeed stayed with his parents. More damningly, however, he appears to have traversed the length of England during a period when he should have been self-isolating with Covid-19 symptoms.

If he had it and still went out that's far more serious.

ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

To be honest if he travelled 250 miles on public transport knowing he had covid he must go. No ifs or buts
    No, no, no. This sort of weakness is what debilitates governments; brashness makes them invincible. Just brush it off and say that the matter had been dealt with and is now closed. The end.

ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

Boris should tough it out over Dom. The last thing we need is another scalp.
    THis one’s a special case.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited May 2020
    rcs1000 said:

And he's off......so the Russians who go to Greece for a holiday won't be any bother?

https://twitter.com/DavidDavisMP/status/1263864827535032320?s=20

I tend to agree with this.

I would have much stricter quarantines - as in people have to stay in quarantine hotels, not "go home by public transport and then stay there" - for people from higher risk countries, and then more modest checks for people who come from places where CV-19 is broadly under control.

My biggest objection to the government through all of this is a lack of nuance.
    Indeed. Found myself checking my temperature and wondering about self-isolating this lunchtime when it dawned that I was listening to David Davis whilst thinking "He's talking sense."
    edited May 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Who? Oh, the temp leader of the Minibus Party. Yeah, we should really listen to him.

There was a moral dimension to Ferguson's exit.
  • ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

No, no, no. This sort of weakness is what debilitates governments; brashness makes them invincible. Just brush it off and say that the matter had been dealt with and is now closed. The end.
    Lol. We know you would be calling for his resignation if it was a Labour person.
    edited May 2020

Not really.

He is applying common sense and of course he has plenty to go at

He is having a good honeymoon and lets see how it goes when he has to make difficult calls

My concern about Boris continues and he is causing me concern.

Either he is unwell (likely) or he his in his comfort zone of hibernation.

He needs to up his game quickly
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,911
    "Do as I say, not as I do!"
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,393

I care as much about Dom seeing his mum as I do about Sandy’s nightly ‘dickhead’ reports about people leaving the house and doing exercise. Ditto the Boffing Boffin.

Let’s move on.

The lockdown is over.

Especially for you:

Cumstain has been a dickhead.
    edited May 2020

ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

Lol. We know you would be calling for his resignation if it was a Labour person.
    I really wouldn't care. But if I did, and if Labour were in government, the last thing they should do is give in to a political opponent like me.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    So Dominic Cummings drove 350 miles to his second home?

ydoethur said:

His entire staff seems to be - presumably - uncontroversial, since the Mail has dug up nothing.
    Found it. Morgan McSweeney, Blairite. Comes from the LGA.

Worked on Liz Kendall’s less than successful campaign.

Deputy is Chris Ward, who worked for Chris Leslie.

That’s politically interesting. It does suggest an intention to tack rightwards politically.

Equally, neither figure seems to have a dazzling array of successes to call on, so either they were stymied by their useless bosses or they have upped their games considerably.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,085

Unsurprising, really.

Oh wow - the Sunday papers! What are they doing to do, use stern language?
    You and I, I'm sure, have led lives of utmost probity and purity.

But I also bet that if the Sunday Phwoar wanted to, they could construct something which is totally true but would be hell to live through. If that's what they decided to do.

(Besides, he's 48. If his parents aren't in the 70+ cocoon, they're pretty close. And unlike Robert Jenwick, he wasn't going to Durham to help his parents. He's been a chump, and whilst that maybe shouldn't be career ending, it has been for others.)
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Top scoop by Mirror there.
    If you listen very carefully you can hear a man in his shed in Oxfordshire laughing his bollocks off.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571
    MaxPB said:

FPT

More and more Starmer is starting to look like the only grownup in the room.
    Or shades of Selwyn Gummer and the burgers. :wink:
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    We're in
    "Do you know who I am?"
    territory.
    It happens a lot with our politicians.
    Are we unusual in that? For instance is it class based?
    What ever happened to that Milo bloke?

ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

This is not weakness.

If he went on public transport knowing he had covid that is inexusable and he resigns this weekend or is sacked

The public outcry will demand it.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,056
    RobD said:

If he had it and still went out that's far more serious.
    Considering that he had symptoms when Bozo Hancock and Whitty were all confirmed positive more or less at the same time, there is a high probability he actually had it while travelling. Jendricks was more of a theoretical breach.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Found it. Morgan McSweeney, Blairite. Comes from the LGA.

Worked on Liz Kendall’s less than successful campaign.

Deputy is Chris Ward, who worked for Chris Leslie.

That’s politically interesting. It does suggest an intention to tack rightwards politically.

Equally, neither figure seems to have a dazzling array of successes to call on, so either they were stymied by their useless bosses or they have upped their games considerably.
    Of course he is going to tack right - but right now is probably with elements of the 2017 manifesto and with more patriotism.

Knocking the Brexit argument on the head in that Telegraph interview is smart.

Either Brexit is a disaster and he can tack to a Norway agreement or he's backed the Government and it's fine.

ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

South Wales Police had to admonish the Kinnocks for the most horrendous breach of lockdown early on. Steve Kinnock is still the MP for Aberavon.
    eadric said:

kyf_100 said:

MaxPB said:

Meh.

Like how people on here were convinced the Arcuri thing would lead to Bojo resigning. Where did that one go? Oh yeah, nowhere.
    This is different. Ferguson went, the Scotch bint went. Breaking lockdown if you are in the political public eye is, potentially, a sackable offence.

I’m not sure that’s a good thing. Ferguson should have stayed, in my opinion. The Scotch woman was different because she was on TV literally telling the Scotch to stay home. Untenable.

I’d say Dom’s case is right on the edge of defensible. The details will be crucial.
    Up to a point, Lord Copper.

Ferguson went because it was his naff science that got us into the lockdown in the first place. He was literally one of the architects of it.

The Scottish woman also resigned as she was a chief medical officer who was again also an architect of lockdown.

They had to resign because they were hypocrites.

Dom was not on our tellys telling us we had to lock down. He didn't draft the law punishing us if we didn't obey lockdown. And absolutely millions of ordinary people have broken lockdown now.

He wasn't officially cautioned, or charged with anything. Imagine if you were a government advisor and you were forced to resign because a policeman told you you were driving poorly, gave you a few words of advice, then sent you on your way. Unless you were the minister in charge of road safety it's nowhere near a sacking offence.

Dom did nothing wrong.

ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

South Wales Police had to admonish the Kinnocks for the most horrendous breach of lockdown early on. Steve Kinnock is still the MP for Aberavon.
    I always find it odd when ministers have to resign from government but not as MPs.
  • Don't know if anyone saw but MORI has Starmer more popular than Johnson
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Re sport:

A government source said: “We are aware that there are a number of high profile international sporting events due to take place over the summer. These events are putting in place stringent protocols so that they can operate. We will work with them in the coming weeks and will set out more detail at the next review point.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/may/22/quarantine-rules-pose-problems-for-f1-champions-league-and-tests

The story seems to be that he travelled while potentially infected.
    (Guardian) Officers approached Boris Johnson’s key adviser days after he was seen rushing out of Downing Street when the prime minister tested positive for the virus at the end of March, a joint investigation by the Guardian and the Mirror has found....

That is pretty well indefensible.

Not really.

He is having a good honeymoon and lets see how it goes when he has to make difficult calls

"He is applying common sense"

So, a massive step up from the clown car cult fest that was Corbyn and co. then?
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

I always find it odd when ministers have to resign from government but not as MPs.
    Indeed, that Connor Burns is still an MP is an outrage.

He should be publicly flogged.

ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

Lol! These hypocrites don't have a leg to stand on!
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

If you listen very carefully you can hear a man in his shed in Oxfordshire laughing his bollocks off.

Can confirm. The shed is about five miles away from here and I can hear it clearly.
    As a thought experiment, how long do we think Matt Hancock would last if it had been him rather than Dominic Cummings who pulled this stunt?

Well the infection rate in the NE is well above average.
    kyf_100 said:

eadric said:

kyf_100 said:

MaxPB said:

Meh.

This is different. Ferguson went, the Scotch bint went. Breaking lockdown if you are in the political public eye is, potentially, a sackable offence.

I’m not sure that’s a good thing. Ferguson should have stayed, in my opinion. The Scotch woman was different because she was on TV literally telling the Scotch to stay home. Untenable.

I’d say Dom’s case is right on the edge of defensible. The details will be crucial.

Ferguson went because it was his naff science that got us into the lockdown in the first place. He was literally one of the architects of it.

The Scottish woman also resigned as she was a chief medical officer who was again also an architect of lockdown.

Dom was not on our tellys telling us we had to lock down. He didn't draft the law punishing us if we didn't obey lockdown. And absolutely millions of ordinary people have broken lockdown now.

He wasn't officially cautioned, or charged with anything. Imagine if you were a government advisor and you were forced to resign because a policeman told you you were driving poorly, gave you a few words of advice, then sent you on your way. Unless you were the minister in charge of road safety it's nowhere near a sacking offence.

Dom did nothing wrong.
    The key question is did he use public transport while aware he had covid ?

If so he has to go
    kyf_100 said:

eadric said:

kyf_100 said:

MaxPB said:

Meh.

Dom did nothing wrong.
    If he travelled on public transport while suffering from symptoms of, and knowingly exposed to people who had tested positive for, CV-19, then he acted unwisely.

Forget lockdown, travelling on public transport while possibly contagious with a serious disease is not - to my mind - morally defensible.

If he'd driven in his own car, that would be one thing. But travelling by train and tube, that's another.

Not really.

So, a massive step up from the clown car cult fest that was Corbyn and co. then?
    Absolutely.

Labour's self indulgence with toxic Corbyn damaged the party to the point it was unelectable
    Nigelb said:

The story seems to be that he travelled while potentially infected.
    (Guardian) Officers approached Boris Johnson’s key adviser days after he was seen rushing out of Downing Street when the prime minister tested positive for the virus at the end of March, a joint investigation by the Guardian and the Mirror has found....

That is pretty well indefensible.
    If proven it he has to go
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    eadric said:

Agreed. As I said it’s the deets which will decide this. If he got on a public train then he’s probably screwed. If he drove there, then he risked no one and made a “human error” and could survive. And so on.

The story seems to be he drove

Assuming they didn't stop on the way...
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,043
    FPT
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Is that happening? Shame on those people. Patel speaks a lot more clearly than her boss, and doesn't talk any more bollocks than he does.
    Nah. Her affectation of droppin her g is fuckin irritatin.

Although once you realise she is speaking like Lord Peter Wimsey (as pointed out by @Chris?) the dynamic changes somewhat.
    :lol: Huntin Shootin Fishin and Controllin immigration.

I like Patel by the way. Diane Abbot too.
    I don't see the need to keep coupling these dusky maidens. They are different in almost every respect.
    Something you should perhaps mention to the poster who originally brought Abbot into it.
  • Travelling with COVID-19 is what will sink him.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    So...Have the Mirror sat on this for 6 weeks +? Or have they recently been "informed"?
    Quite a few must have known. Did Cummings inform the PM that he had had his coĺlar observed from a 2 m distance?
    Scott_xP said:

eadric said:

Agreed. As I said it’s the deets which will decide this. If he got on a public train then he’s probably screwed. If he drove there, then he risked no one and made a “human error” and could survive. And so on.

The story seems to be he drove

Assuming they didn't stop on the way...
    If he drove I expect he will survive
    Scott_xP said:
    Wasn't our PM drive to Chevening House whilst ill/recovering?
    This is absolutely a resigning matter. I doubt, however, that he will resign. Not this side of the weekend anyway.
    dixiedean said:

So...Have the Mirror sat on this for 6 weeks +? Or have they recently been "informed"?
    Quite a few must have known. Did Cummings inform the PM that he had had his coĺlar observed from a 2 m distance?

Several days later on April 5, a neighbour of Mr Cummings' parents, Robert and Morag, claims they spotted him outside the property while passing for their daily exercise .

They heard Abba’s Dancing Queen blasting out loudly and peered over the hedge where they saw him, wearing a scarf and thick coat, with a small boy running around.

As you say, odd that this is coming out now.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Toms said:

We're in
    "Do you know who I am?"
    territory.

No. Hollywood does that just as well. Caught DUI behind the wheel, Reese Witherspoon used those precise words with her arresting officer.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    eadric said:

The difference is that both were public figures involved in telling Brits to stay home. Calderwood was actually on TV doing this.

Cummings is more shadowy. The government may be able to tough it out. But what a needless distraction. Why did he do it, FFS?

Jenrick got away with delivering the parcel but he also ended up in his third home and lied about it being his first. Jenrick is the Housing Secretary. He got away with it to protect Boris who somehow landed at Chequers not Downing Street.

Normally I'd say Dominic Cummings will be safe for the same reason. His danger is that Boris, his protector, will soon be on the wrong side of the Atlantic.
    eadric said:

Not really.

Absolutely.

Labour's self indulgence with toxic Corbyn damaged the party to the point it was unelectable
    Corbyn didn’t just damage the party, he damaged the country. His presence as leader meant the country was without a capable Opposition in the worst of circumstances.

If there’s one thing we must learn from Corbynism, it is this: the UK constitution incorporates a Loyal Opposition for a reason. It is there to probe, question, scrutinize and critique a government every day in every way, in a manner which the media cannot. That way lies good governance. With a clown as Labour Leader, the country was very ill served.

Ooh, I like it when I’m all mature and wise.
    Aha! So it was all Corbyn's fault. I'll take that, thanks.

This is absolutely a resigning matter. I doubt, however, that he will resign. Not this side of the weekend anyway.

If the facts are true, I think he'll be gone by tomorrow morning.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,451
    Scott_xP said:
    Theyll bring out Alok Sharma for that one.
    edited May 2020
    eadric said:

Scott_xP said:
    I’m sorry, but George Eaton?? The man who lied to destroy Roger Scruton’s career, and likely drove Scruton to an early grave?

Eaton should have been expelled from journalism. The idea of being lectured by him. Boak.
    Indeed. Cummings should stay if only because of the shower of shits who'll be delighted if he goes.
    rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

eadric said:

kyf_100 said:

MaxPB said:

Meh.

Dom did nothing wrong.
    If he travelled on public transport while suffering from symptoms of, and knowingly exposed to people who had tested positive for, CV-19, then he acted unwisely.

Forget lockdown, travelling on public transport while possibly contagious with a serious disease is not - to my mind - morally defensible.

If he'd driven in his own car, that would be one thing. But travelling by train and tube, that's another.
    Unless his car was parked outside Number 10 when he started feeling peaky, it is extremely likely he used public transport for the first leg of his journey. Even a taxi counts as public transport. Heck, even walking home would spread it.

If he then got home, made the decision that self-isolating in a tiny one or two bed flat with his wife and young child was a bad idea for their safety, packed a bag, and drove alone up to his parents farmhouse in Durham, where he cound self isolate away from his wife and young child, then frankly in the same situation I would have done the same.

As we already know this disease rips through households living in close proximity and I'm not going to blame the man for choosing to remove himself from his wife and child if it is the case that is what happened.

• I suspect a lot of Tory MPs hate Cummings and so will be hoping he resigns.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    More better to say most closerer.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    edited May 2020
    tlg86 said:

If the facts are true, I think he'll be gone by tomorrow morning.
    If Boris has any sense he won't even give Cummings the chance to resign and Boris will sack Cummings in the next hour or so.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    He's toast. Buy the pound - extension to the post-Brexit transition looks more likely now. With Cummings gone Johnson will be absorbed by the civil service machine.
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    TimT said:

Toms said:

We're in
    "Do you know who I am?"
    territory.

No. Hollywood does that just as well. Caught DUI behind the wheel, Reese Witherspoon used those precise words with her arresting officer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gAc6aNoNLM

Careful with what you say there!* She was the passenger, it was her husband who was being stopped for suspected DUI.

A slight difference in wording, but for afficionadoes of these things, I liked how "Do you know my name?" was followed by "You're about to find out who I am!"

* She might sue you for getting that wrong, she's an American citizen don't you know!
This discussion has been closed.