Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cumming warned by police after breaking lockdown rules

Comments

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,080
    edited May 2020
    kyf_100 said:

Dom did nothing wrong.

He broke his own government’s emergency rules on restricted travel at a time when he knew (unless he’s actually as stupid as he comes across) that he was high risk of carrying the virus.

HOWEVER HE TRAVELLED, he broke the law. He is eligible for a fine on that basis.

But more pertinently, he risked exporting the virus from London to the North.

And he did it because he is both stupid enough and arrogant enough to assume rules do not apply to him. Which is why he is not, and never was, fit to hold any responsible position.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,272
    TimT said:

More better to say most closerer.
    Hancock do we think?

He's toast. Buy the pound - extension to the post-Brexit transition looks more likely now. With Cummings gone Johnson will be absorbed by the civil service machine.

Ok then.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

TimT said:

Toms said:

We're in
    "Do you know who I am?"
    territory.
    It happens a lot with our politicians.
    Are we unusual in that? For instance is it class based?

No. Hollywood does that just as well. Caught DUI behind the wheel, Reese Witherspoon used those precise words with her arresting officer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gAc6aNoNLM

Careful with what you say there!* She was the passenger, it was her husband who was being stopped for suspected DUI.

A slight difference in wording, but for afficionadoes of these things, I liked how "Do you know my name?" was followed by "You're about to find out who I am!"

* She might sue you for getting that wrong, she's an American citizen don't you know!
    Thank you for the correction(s).
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    If Boris wanted to be amusing, he should put out a statement that Cummings will resign immediately ... after Stephen Kinnock does for breaking the rules himself! :lol:
  • Travel medium is irrelevant.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,126
    eadric said:

Scott_xP said:
    I’m sorry, but George Eaton?? The man who lied to destroy Roger Scruton’s career, and likely drove Scruton to an early grave?

Eaton should have been expelled from journalism. The idea of being lectured by him. Boak.
    Boak indeed.

Scott_xP said:
    As I said upthread, the fact that he is so widely hated may well come back to haunt him.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    A thought has just occurred to me. Perhaps The Mirror sat on the story because Boris was ill. What if Boris knew what Cummings was doing and even authorized him to do it? Could Boris be in trouble?

Travel medium is irrelevant.

Now that you think he drove all the way up there :smile:
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,183
    glw said:

tlg86 said:

This is absolutely a resigning matter. I doubt, however, that he will resign. Not this side of the weekend anyway.

If the facts are true, I think he'll be gone by tomorrow morning.
    If Boris has any sense he won't even give Cummings the chance to resign and Boris will sack Cummings in the next hour or so.
    Boris will remember what happened to Theresa May after Nick and Fiona were forced out.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,018
    tlg86 said:

This is absolutely a resigning matter. I doubt, however, that he will resign. Not this side of the weekend anyway.

If the facts are true, I think he'll be gone by tomorrow morning.
    Not a fan of Dom, or Boris, but I am sick and tired of the media demanding scalps to generate a story. Boris has four years to iron this issue out if he doesn't sack him. I think the fact that England is now largely open for business, Dom's survival is less contentious that it would have been six weeks ago.

Don't yield Boris!
    Cummings (who must have been the source) lies again. That was not the guidance. Indeed, the guidance was the exact reverse.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    kyf_100 said:

If he then got home, made the decision that self-isolating in a tiny one or two bed flat with his wife and young child was a bad idea for their safety, packed a bag, and drove alone up to his parents farmhouse in Durham, where he cound self isolate away from his wife and young child, then frankly in the same situation I would have done the same.

As we already know this disease rips through households living in close proximity and I'm not going to blame the man for choosing to remove himself from his wife and child if it is the case that is what happened.

Indeed - much better to risk killing off his parents rather than infect his kid (who is probably immune like most kids) and a woman in early middle age whose immune system will probably handle it better than a man of the same age.
    edited May 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    The Minister for Propaganda speaks! Her earlier tweet spells it out, she was right then, this is mischievious.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,512
    I confess I don't really care if Cummings stays or goes. The more interesting dimension of the story to me is that surely others in government, including the PM and Hancock, will have known that Cummings was off to (or already in?) Durham - he wouldn't have just disappeared. Why did Boris and others not advise him that he was breaking the lockdown, and that this would not look very good if it entered the public domain, which was fairly likely? I suspect the government is in even more disarray than it appears.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,201
    Fecking hell, I'm not only agreeing with Julia Hartley-Brewer but I'm also agreeing with Tim Montgomerie.

I need a lie down.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    TimT said:

TimT said:

Toms said:

We're in
    "Do you know who I am?"
    territory.

No. Hollywood does that just as well. Caught DUI behind the wheel, Reese Witherspoon used those precise words with her arresting officer.

Careful with what you say there!* She was the passenger, it was her husband who was being stopped for suspected DUI.

A slight difference in wording, but for afficionadoes of these things, I liked how "Do you know my name?" was followed by "You're about to find out who I am!"

* She might sue you for getting that wrong, she's an American citizen don't you know!
    Yuck.
    Until now I, for one, had never heard of Reese Witherspoon.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,822
    ydoethur said:

Cummings (who must have been the source) lies again. That was not the guidance. Indeed, the guidance was the exact reverse.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1263924638599520257
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,183
    edited May 2020

eadric said:

THIS may save him

twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1263914724305055745?s=21

twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1263915591175483393
    Oh great. We can have another week of threads debating the difference between guidance, regulations and laws.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Fecking hell, I'm not only agreeing with Julia Hartley-Brewer but I'm also agreeing with Tim Montgomerie.

I need a lie down.
    I used white gloves to post that tweet. They’re both right though.

It makes a mockery of the government’s moral authority. There is also the question when the Prime Minister knew. Because this story seems to have been rattling around for weeks.
    Toms said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

Toms said:

We're in
    "Do you know who I am?"
    territory.

Yuck.
    You've never watched Legally Blonde (and Legally Blonde 2)?

You're missing out.

Ditto Big Little Lies.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,927

kyf_100 said:

If he then got home, made the decision that self-isolating in a tiny one or two bed flat with his wife and young child was a bad idea for their safety, packed a bag, and drove alone up to his parents farmhouse in Durham, where he cound self isolate away from his wife and young child, then frankly in the same situation I would have done the same.

As we already know this disease rips through households living in close proximity and I'm not going to blame the man for choosing to remove himself from his wife and child if it is the case that is what happened.

Indeed - much better to risk killing off his parents rather than infect his kid (who is probably immune like most kids) and a woman in early middle age whose immune system will probably handle it better than a man of the same age.
    Where do you think is easier to self isolate and avoid close contact with people? A two bed London flat, or a sprawling rural farmhouse?

Whatever decisions were taken, I am sure the entire family believed them to be in the best interests of all concerned.

And frankly nobody's business but the family's.

If he wasn't a political enemy and you didn't have a desperate hard-on for a political scalp, you'd think the same.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    eadric said:

Tricky. Butch it out or accept the knock?

Boris should maybe let him resign for a token 6 weeks then rehire him. In the middle of Covid unlockdown no one will care.

I suspect it will turn out to be one rule for the Tories and one rule for the little people.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Lock him up.

You’re divorced, right?

Is that because you stayed in a London when your wife was extremely ill?

I need a lie down.
    I used white gloves to post that tweet. They’re both right though.

It makes a mockery of the government’s moral authority. There is also the question when the Prime Minister knew. Because this story seems to have been rattling around for weeks.
    Some on Twitter are convinced a D Notice was in force which amuses me.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    As I said upthread, the fact that he is so widely hated may well come back to haunt him.
    I've always had a soft spot for Cummings, he has all the right enemies.

Toms said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

Toms said:

We're in
    "Do you know who I am?"
    territory.

Yuck.

You're missing out.

Ditto Big Little Lies.
    Pleasantville is a charming film.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,812
    Evening again all :)

Should I be concerned by the rise in new cases today? Back over 3000 looks a worrying sign if we are going to ease lockdown restrictions further at the end of the month.

No slide to cover travel numbers today which is also interesting - is there a rise in numbers using public transport contrary to Government advice?
    edited May 2020
    Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

We were put into strict lockdown by Boris Johnson on the 23rd March.

Cummings was still in London when Johnson was taken ill four days later.

It must have happened after lockdown was brought in.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Toms said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

Toms said:

We're in
    "Do you know who I am?"
    territory.

Yuck.

You're missing out.

Ditto Big Little Lies.
    No, although I was a big cinema (and theatre) fan. Ah! Those were the days.
    dodrade said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    I've always had a soft spot for Cummings, he has all the right enemies.
    Why? What have you got against people who are knowledgeable, intelligent and efficient?
    Charles said:

Lock him up.

You’re divorced, right?

No.

I think adultery was the cause.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,329
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

We were put into strict lockdown by Boris Johnson on he 23rd March.

Cummings was still in London when Johnson was taken ill four days later.

It must have happened after lockdown was brought in.
    And, whilst I haven't checked in detail, my memory is that a recurring theme in the lengthy blogs of Dom is the awfulness of political types who think the rules don't apply to them, or welching out on technicalities.
    Scott_xP said:
    It’s a bit like that famous Chinese joke:

Mao, Lin Biao, Liu Shaoqi and Hua Guofeng are all on a boat. The boat sinks. Who is saved?

China.
    eadric said:

Nonsense.

Farage is a journalist: he has a show on LBC. He is explicitly allowed to travel around, covering stories related to coronavirus. The government has expressly allowed this. Journalists in this field are seen as key workers, doing essential work.

Farage’s story was that the government was ignoring a migrant crisis in the Channel while they focused overly on Covid-19. His latest migrant videos have been viewed by millions, which is a lot more people than read the Guardian or the Times.

Entirely justified. Try again.
    Nigel Farage as a soldier for truth is a hard claim to stack up. But bravo for trying.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,924
    Am still wondering why now?
    Is it because Starmer revealed his kids were attending school? When all the Cabinets children's schools are shut till September?
    edited May 2020
    Charles said:

Lock him up.

You’re divorced, right?

I am on Dom's side over this issue, however that is an incredibly weak defence. He didn't stay in London when his wife was ectremely ill, but instead went to visit his elderly parents in the North East armed with the knowledge that he was infected with Covid-19. Hmm?
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Where do you think is easier to self isolate and avoid close contact with people? A two bed London flat, or a sprawling rural farmhouse?

Whatever decisions were taken, I am sure the entire family believed them to be in the best interests of all concerned.

And frankly nobody's business but the family's.

If he wasn't a political enemy and you didn't have a desperate hard-on for a political scalp, you'd think the same.
    Lots of people do not find it easy, but they are not allowed to go hareing off around the country.

He is not a "political enemy" since I am non-partisan. I think that they are ALL f*ck-wits. Every last one of them.

Also, I do not get hard-ons...

ydoethur said:

PB Tories not exactly lining up to defend their (mad)man.

The police have spoken to him. He did the crime, he served his time.

Jenrick survived so should Dom.
    Hmmm.

While Jenrick was undoubtedly a fool, and was lucky to survive, the fact Himself was a carrier of coronavirus and had every reason to suspect he might be puts this on a different level.

The fact that he’s a stuck up third rate Oedipus Complexer whom nobody likes isn’t exactly going to help him either.
    To be honest if he travelled 250 miles on public transport knowing he had covid he must go. No ifs or buts
    No, no, no. This sort of weakness is what debilitates governments; brashness makes them invincible. Just brush it off and say that the matter had been dealt with and is now closed. The end.
    You think all those people who have been unable to visit parents, attend funerals, see grandchildren for months are going to shrug it off because Cummings is an he's important Tory and he should be allowed to do what we can't?
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    eadric said:

Nonsense.

Farage is a journalist: he has a show on LBC. He is explicitly allowed to travel around, covering stories related to coronavirus. The government has expressly allowed this. Journalists in this field are seen as key workers, doing essential work.

Farage’s story was that the government was ignoring a migrant crisis in the Channel while they focused overly on Covid-19. His latest migrant videos have been viewed by millions, which is a lot more people than read the Guardian or the Times.

Knob alert...try better...

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,928

Toms said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

Toms said:

We're in
    "Do you know who I am?"
    territory.

Yuck.

You're missing out.

Ditto Big Little Lies.
    Or Election or Cruel Intentions
    eadric said:

Charles said:

Lock him up.

You’re divorced, right?

No.

I think adultery was the cause.
    Whose?

;)
    To my eternal shame, mine.

It meant I'm in the same category as Prince Charles.
    edited May 2020

He's toast. Buy the pound - extension to the post-Brexit transition looks more likely now. With Cummings gone Johnson will be absorbed by the civil service machine.

For a year maybe but Boris will have to have ended the transition period by the next general election or Leavers will start to defect back to Farage and the Brexit Party again
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,190
    eadric said:

Nonsense.

So now you’re the expert on who is allowed to travel?
    kyf_100 said:

MaxPB said:

Meh.

Yep. I find it a bit of a really odd non-story.

Like how people on here were convinced the Arcuri thing would lead to Bojo resigning. Where did that one go? Oh yeah, nowhere.

Very few people thought it would be the end for Boris and it's a little too early to say it went nowhere. The police have decided there is no criminal case to answer but that does mean that what he did was ethical. It hasn't completely run is course yet.
    OllyT said:

eadric said:

Tricky. Butch it out or accept the knock?

Boris should maybe let him resign for a token 6 weeks then rehire him. In the middle of Covid unlockdown no one will care.

I suspect it will turn out to be one rule for the Tories and one rule for the little people.
    Judging by some of the partisan blindness on here, I think you may be right.

Goodnight all
    OllyT said:

ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

While Jenrick was undoubtedly a fool, and was lucky to survive, the fact Himself was a carrier of coronavirus and had every reason to suspect he might be puts this on a different level.

The fact that he’s a stuck up third rate Oedipus Complexer whom nobody likes isn’t exactly going to help him either.
    To be honest if he travelled 250 miles on public transport knowing he had covid he must go. No ifs or buts
    No, no, no. This sort of weakness is what debilitates governments; brashness makes them invincible. Just brush it off and say that the matter had been dealt with and is now closed. The end.
    You think all those people who have been unable to visit parents, attend funerals, see grandchildren for months are going to shrug it off because Cummings is an he's important Tory and he should be allowed to do what we can't?
    If they're not tiny babies, they'll see that he made a very natural, human mistake and will at least understand the impulse. Seeing as the police took no action against him whatsoever, it's a non-story.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,127
    dixiedean said:

Am still wondering why now?
    Is it because Starmer revealed his kids were attending school? When all the Cabinets children's schools are shut till September?

Doubt an attempt at a dead wombat bounce would go through the Mirror.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,189

Toms said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

Toms said:

We're in
    "Do you know who I am?"
    territory.

Yuck.

You're missing out.

Ditto Big Little Lies.
    It is.
    And, of course, Election and Cruel Intentions.

She was event decent in The Importance of Being Earnest.
    edited May 2020
    If Cummings goes it will be for Boris like when Trump lost Steve Bannon
    edited May 2020
    OllyT said:

kyf_100 said:

MaxPB said:

Meh.

Like how people on here were convinced the Arcuri thing would lead to Bojo resigning. Where did that one go? Oh yeah, nowhere.

Very few people thought it would be the end for Boris and it's a little too early to say it went nowhere. The police have decided there is no criminal case to answer but that does mean that what he did was ethical. It hasn't completely run is course yet.
    Oh, what a utter joke! It was an empty non-story that some people salivated over and yet led to absolutely nothing. Precisely as this one should.

Charles said:

Lock him up.

You’re divorced, right?

I am on Dom's side over this issue, however that is an incredibly weak defence. He didn't stay in London when his wife was ectremely ill, but instead went to visit his elderly parents in the North East armed with the knowledge that he was infected with Covid-19. Hmm?
    Extremely!
    HYUFD said:

If Cummings goes it will be about the same time into the Trump administration Steve Gannon left

Tell Boris to ride the storm, I know you have his ear.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,030
    He flouted the rules and took advantage of his parents. That's the long and short of it. Hard to justify. Bet he survives though.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Who are we to question the Cummings and goings of our masters?
    HYUFD said:

If Cummings goes it will be about the same time into the Trump administration Steve Gannon left

Cummings ain't going nowhere...he's a fossilised mussel solidified on BoJo's anus...you'd have to put a phosphorus incendiary up there to extricate him...this story just doesn't cut it....
  • glwglw Posts: 9,549
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,918
    edited May 2020
    Nigelb said:

Toms said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

Toms said:

We're in
    "Do you know who I am?"
    territory.

Yuck.

You're missing out.

Ditto Big Little Lies.
    It is.
    And, of course, Election and Cruel Intentions.

She was event decent in The Importance of Being Earnest.
    And Walk the Line though not much of June Carter about her visually.

Edit: & she won an Oscar for it.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,927
    OllyT said:

kyf_100 said:

MaxPB said:

Meh.

Plenty of people on this board were saying Boris would be gone within weeks at the time, and that was months ago. The police have decided there is no case to answer so it is literally time to say it went nowhere. But you keep clutching those straws if it makes you feel better at night.

This Cummings story is the same. Of huge interest to the Westminster bubble but of little to no interest to the general public, who probably don't have a clue who Cummings is (unless they watched that thingy with Benedict Cumberbatch) and couldn't give a toss - about half of the general public having broken the lockdown in the last couple of weeks anyway.

It is a non-story in the real world.
    kinabalu said:

He flouted the rules and took advantage of his parents. That's the long and short of it. Hard to justify. Bet he survives though.

Of course Cummings survives...the little scrawny twat is thermo, nuclear proofed...

I feel sorry for his missus who has to wake up looking at his miserable, pruned face in the morning....
    Scott_xP said:
    Kaboom!

Johnson faces the hardest decision of his premiership so far.

OllyT said:

ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

If they're not tiny babies, they'll see that he made a very natural, human mistake and will at least understand the impulse. Seeing as the police took no action against him whatsoever, it's a non-story.
    LOL. Desparate stuff

Scott_xP said:
    Kaboom!

It's the easiest decision imaginable: keep the man who help secure his victory, or let him go and gratify legions of his political enemies for no reason at all.

Hmm ... that is a hard one.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,273
    Cummings has to go - an overgrown Dungeon Master strutting around as if he's above the law just because he landed the role as a plump posh boy's manservant. The Tories might as well hand the Red Wall back to Sir Keir with red ribbon if they allow this to pass.
    I told you Jackson Carlaw was awesome, he might have claimed yet another scalp.

https://twitter.com/Ianblackford_MP/status/1263933667262464000
    HYUFD said:

As in made no difference whatsoever, except the chaos has been an order of magnitude higher?
    eadric said:

Scott_xP said:
    Ooh. That’s a bigger story. if Bojo allows himself to be portrayed as Mister Lockdown, the Karen of Britain, and Quaratiner-General, he is in big big trouble.
    Another kaboom!!! Wow.

Possible dead cat though to divert from Durham's finest mind?
    Scott_xP said:
    I think there might be one or two others.
    Not many pubs in Saudi Arabia, for instance...
    edited May 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Tory politicians are such conniving, scheming, manipulating,. manoeuvring, ambitious, two faced, hypocritical, untrustworthy fuckwits....and esteemed practitioners of fuckwittery...

Rishi....ticks all the boxes......the boy's got a future
  • MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    What a joke of an article the Guardian piece is. They've written it like Cummings is going on trial, but it's a non-story.

It's not so long since they ran for three days on "political adviser attends SAGE meeting that political advisers can attend" then had to drop it when it was leaked he'd been asking why Lockdown wasn't sooner. I get it's a slow news season but there's more than one person to report non-news on.
    Scott_xP said:
    Greece and Italy locked down before the UK did so obviously the UK should open up after them

HYUFD said:

As in made no difference whatsoever, except the chaos has been an order of magnitude higher?
    Trump managed to find an even more toxic white nationalist called Stephen.

Which Dom would be worse ?
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,079

OllyT said:

ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

Oh come on! PB Tories have been routinely slagging their neighbours off with tales of minor lockdown naughtiness. All of a sudden, when it’s this fucker of all people, it’s a “very natural, human mistake”. It’s not like he failed to observe correct social distancing by 8 inches in Tescos. He wasn’t a bored teenager playing football in the park with his mates. He’s a senior government advisor, who helps set the policy he breached, who travelled (allegedly on public transport, on public transport FFS) from one end of England to another, at a relatively early stage in the outbreak, when he knew he was suffering from the virus, highly infectious, and part of a government that had, only a week before, told people not to do this very thing.

I don’t give a toss if he resigns or not but people are not going to think this is a “natural, human mistake”. This guy sets policy. He will be held to a higher standard. If he stays it will damage the Government. Their call.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,998
    edited May 2020
    eadric said:
    The guidelines would allow his parents to travel to collect the children, but not the other way round - but we're at the point of arguing about details and, so, yes, it may save him.

I would never conceive of taking Coronavirus into my parent's house, though.
  • Scott_xP said:
    Kaboom!

It's the easiest decision imaginable: keep the man who help secure his victory, or let him go and gratify legions of his political enemies for no reason at all.

It's not for no reason.

If Cummings stays, it will be used against Johnson forever. It will be said that it is one rule for him, another for us. While you were in lockdown, the PM's cronies were flouting the rules etc. And those criticisms will be wholly correct.

If Cummings goes, the answer is "he did wrong and he went".
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,918
    edited May 2020
    Tim still on form (and not a million miles away from a post by Ishmael Z).

https://twitter.com/ExStrategist/status/1263935901308203008?s=20
  • TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    This should get the FBPE loons frothing at the mouth.

Perhaps it might reverse Brexit - lol.
    DougSeal said:

OllyT said:

ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

Oh come on! PB Tories have been routinely slagging their neighbours off with tales of minor lockdown naughtiness. All of a sudden, when it’s this fucker of all people, it’s a “very natural, human mistake”. It’s not like he failed to observe correct social distancing by 8 inches in Tescos. He wasn’t a bored teenager playing football in the park with his mates. He’s a senior government advisor, who helps set the policy he breached, who travelled (allegedly on public transport, on public transport FFS) from one end of England to another, at a relatively early stage in the outbreak, when he knew he was suffering from the virus, highly infectious, and part of a government that had, only a week before, told people not to do this very thing.

I don’t give a toss if he resigns or not but people are not going to think this is a “natural, human mistake”. This guy sets policy. He will be held to a higher standard. If he stays it will damage the Government. Their call.
    The only thing that will damage the Government will be giving in to every petty Opposition demand. Time to show some strength and tell them where to stuff it.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    IanB2 said:

eadric said:

Nonsense.

So now you’re the expert on who is allowed to travel?
    Why isn't Beth Rigby arrested whenever she leaves her house? How can Kay Burley get to the studio? Should Piers Morgan be arrested on the GMB sofa?

Actually the last one would be quite entertaining, but the media are key workers. I despise Farage but he's a journalist now not a politician and as a journalist he's allowed to report on stories. Just as Carole Cadwaldr or others are too.

The day the government starts arresting journalists for going out to report on a news story is a day we've gone far too far.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,561
    eadric said:

Sunak is the Saviour.

Fuck lockdown. Let our people go.

Typo in the last word there. It is d-i-e
  • eadric said:
    The guidelines would allow his parents to travel to collect the children, but not the other way round - but we're at the point of arguing about details and, so, yes, it may save him.

It's not just the guidelines, it's the logic of the position.

"We were too ill to look after the kids, but not too ill to drive three or four hours to my parents".

Pure, steaming bullshit.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,924
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Greece and Italy locked down before the UK did so obviously the UK should open up after them
    Indeed. And Greece is a non-comparison given the difference in performance.
    I doubt also if either have many pubs like ours.
    Few countries do.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,175

Scott_xP said:
    Kaboom!

"Do as I say, not as I do"?

eadric said:

You are saying that about the man who unleashed Brexit on the nation...a particularly horrible virus that infects the brain, and appears untreatable.....

Infecting his parents with Covid...it's positively tame in comparison....

DougSeal said:

OllyT said:

ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

The only thing that will damage the Government will be giving in to every petty Opposition demand. Time to show some strength and tell them where to stuff it.
    The leader of the opposition has made no such demand.
    It’s you that seems to be spoiling for a fight.

Scott_xP said:
    Kaboom!

It's not for no reason.

If Cummings stays, it will be used against Johnson forever. It will be said that it is one rule for him, another for us. While you were in lockdown, the PM's cronies were flouting the rules etc. And those criticisms will be wholly correct.

If Cummings goes, the answer is "he did wrong and he went".
    Literally _everything_ is used against Boris forever. Remember the prorogation? The unprorogation? His children? The Andrew Neil empty chair interview? The watermelon smiles? His jokey columns from 25 years ago?

His opponents bring up everything all the time - one more won't make any difference. As Jowett said 'Never regret, never explain, never apologize', and Boris should bloody well follow that example.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,079
    edited May 2020

DougSeal said:

OllyT said:

ydoethur said:

Hmmm.

You don’t understand. You’ve been spoiled by 5, 10 years of terrible opposition. Starmer has very deliberately NOT demanded his resignation. The Opposition wants him to stay, and thus allowing the Government to show the absolute contempt they have for the rules they themselves set. Boris can go to the States, Dom can visit his parents while suffering from the virus everyone is scared of. You ordinary guys, not so much.
This discussion has been closed.