Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cumming warned by police after breaking lockdown rules

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288

People who don't like Cummings Don't Like Cummings shocker!

Um, people don't like Cummings because he broke the rules!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    LOL I'm not sure why quoting two Remain Zealots who hate Cummings, quit the Tory Party and joined the Lib Dems over Brexit being critical of Cummings is meaningful?

There is a very challenging case for Cummings to answer and I actually agree with what Labour have said so far - an explanation is needed. But having ranting zealots rant against him just makes it look partisan.
  • Options

Many people hate Cummings because of Brexit. Don't pretend otherwise.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

LOL I'm not sure why quoting two Remain Zealots who hate Cummings, quit the Tory Party and joined the Lib Dems over Brexit being critical of Cummings is meaningful?

There is a very challenging case for Cummings to answer and I actually agree with what Labour have said so far - an explanation is needed. But having ranting zealots rant against him just makes it look partisan.
    Indeed. Sometimes ranting zealots actually see themselves as moderate Centrists.
    That said there are serious questions to be answered here. Starmer, who is not a moderate Centrist, will ask them.
    I doubt they will be answered.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611

His wife isn't much of a journalist. She thought him ill in bed. I am surprised that she didn't notice that him and the child were the other end of the country.

https://twitter.com/GillMullarkey/status/1263947965049245711?s=19
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    The fact that Ferguson and Cummings broke their own lockdown just shows that they know full well the policy is bollocks and has been imposed for political, not health, reasons.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

https://twitter.com/MatthewdAncona/status/1263948335565733891?s=20

If he was the public face of the UK or Scottish government response (for example) then the case for his resignation would be stronger. Meanwhile Labour will make hay (It's their job) and nothing much will change.

The issue isn't Cummings. It's Johnson.

Lol, sure Cummings just some back room worker bee, no real influence.

How is the government going to be able to tell anyone to do anything from now on if there are no consequences? 'Two week quarantine after getting back from holidays' - sure...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174

What have Remainers got to do with this?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Daily Mail writer (until he moves to the Sun):

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1263934013217157120
  • Options
    Cummings game theories everything apparently. How did this one play out?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited May 2020

USA, Brazil, Russia and the UK are four of the top five places for Covid-19 cases according to Worldometer.

Is there some kind of correlation between having a populist leader and experiencing a bad Covid-19 outcome? Just asking.

PS Cases rising rapidly in India too.

Russia is the most populous nation in Europe, the USA and Brazil the most populous nations in the Americas so their high number of cases is hardly surprising.

India is the second most populous nation in the world so is clearly still doing better than expected and their PM, Modi, is a populist. You could say China is too but almost certainly it has covered up a lot
  • Options

What have Remainers got to do with this?
    Soubry and Cooper? You're right, what have they got to do with this? But they're whom rottenborough chose to quote.

Cummings is a bete noire for these guys.
  • Options
    Guardian doing this story for six weeks?

Sitting on this for that long takes some nerve. Another paper could have got there.
  • Options
  • Options
    Seems to me that the Tory backbenchers will do for Cummings. Not sure they have ever been that happy with him and his attitude.

Night all.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233
    houndtang said:

The fact that Ferguson and Cummings broke their own lockdown just shows that they know full well the policy is bollocks and has been imposed for political, not health, reasons.

That doesn't follow. It's really easy, psychologically, for people to reason why they, or their circumstances, are an exception that justifies breaking the rules. Particularly if you are virtuous by agreeing the rules are necessary, so you are careful that breaking them won't cause damage.

It takes a lot of discipline and self-denial to follow the rules, to set an example to others, to do what is right, not because it is easy, but because it is difficult.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Indeed. Sometimes ranting zealots actually see themselves as moderate Centrists.
    That said there are serious questions to be answered here. Starmer, who is not a moderate Centrist, will ask them.
    We'll see. Questions will be asked, we will see what the answers are.
  • Options

houndtang said:

That doesn't follow. It's really easy, psychologically, for people to reason why they, or their circumstances, are an exception that justifies breaking the rules. Particularly if you are virtuous by agreeing the rules are necessary, so you are careful that breaking them won't cause damage.

It takes a lot of discipline and self-denial to follow the rules, to set an example to others, to do what is right, not because it is easy, but because it is difficult.
    Indeed. And there's a difference between saying "I'm an exception because we're both sick simultaneously my children need childcare" and "I'm an exception because that man's wife wants to have sex with me".

Any idea they're the same story is laughable. Any parent has had to make difficult decisions in the past regarding children and maybe not always made the best ones. I'm not convinced the right or wrong decision was made here but I know for a fact I would be if the reason was to get your rocks off. That's not the same thing at all.
  • Options
    For those who don't follow twitter until midnight or BBC news 24, tomorrow's papers (and breakfast TV) will be a marmalade dropping moment I reckon.

The backlash from the public who haven't seen Gran for eight weeks has barely begun. The public are going to be fucking furious.

And on that, I really am away to my bed.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

To be fair Starmer is the closest to a moderate centrist leader Labour have had since Blair and Brown
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

To be fair Starmer is the closest to a moderate centrist leader Labour have had since Blair and Brown
    What makes someone who was prepared to serve in Corbyn's Cabinet a more centrist leader than Ed Milliband?
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 778

For those who don't follow twitter until midnight or BBC news 24, tomorrow's papers (and breakfast TV) will be a marmalade dropping moment I reckon.

The backlash from the public who haven't seen Gran for eight weeks has barely begun. The public are going to be fucking furious.

And on that, I really am away to my bed.

I agree.

It's "I've not been able to do X, Y, Z for 2 months, and he thinks he's above the rules?" that will be deadly for Cummings. The outrage will cut across the political spectrum.

The longer he stays, the more damaging for the government.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

What makes someone who was prepared to serve in Corbyn's Cabinet a more centrist leader than Ed Milliband?
    The fact he even survived is a show of strength.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

He isn't. What he is is more qualified and more skiĺled..He is constructing a case.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Starmer was the centrist candidate against Long Bailey, Ed Miliband was the left-wing candidate against David Miliband
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

I think it just proves Starmer is extremely ambitious
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

I think it just proves Starmer is extremely ambitious
    Blair and Brown served in Kinnock's and Smith's shadow cabinets, Cameron served in Howard's shadow cabinet, May served in Hague and IDS and Howard's shadow cabinets.

If you want to be party leader and then PM it is par for the course
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    edited May 2020
    O/T

Peter Hitchens ruminates on his past life in Oxford, where he still lives.

https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2020/05/an-encounter-with-my-past
  • Options

Guardian doing this story for six weeks?

Sitting on this for that long takes some nerve. Another paper could have got there.

Oh yes, I think the Spectator almost beat them to it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Monkeys said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

The fact he even survived is a show of strength.
    The fact he stayed means he put his career ahead of taking a stand on anti-semitism in the Labour Party. When the report comes out, excoriating as it is generally expected to be, remember this: he stood by Corbyn.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    "Britons do not want to go back into work because they fear the lockdown is being eased too quickly – and they enjoy being at home, a poll revealed last night.

The survey was a setback for Boris Johnson, illustrating the uphill task he faces to bring the nation’s moribund economy back to life quickly.

It showed that on average people have more money in their pockets than when the lockdown started – with public-sector workers gaining the most."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8349223/Coronaphobia-grips-nation-Britons-fear-lockdown-eased-rapidly.html
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    If accurate - toast.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Peter Hitchens ruminates on his past life in Oxford, where he still lives.

https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2020/05/an-encounter-with-my-past

What a pretentious loud of shit....just wasted 3 minutes of my life because I thought I would get the connection with Oxford
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    For techies out there....

I need to change my iPad.....what one do you recommend? and is there a new one due out soon?

Thanks...any advice would be helpful
This discussion has been closed.