Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Downing Street should be worry about the first Cummings pollin

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited May 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Downing Street should be worry about the first Cummings polling from YouGov which goes very much against what he did

The political splits here should be worrying for Number 10. By backing Cummings they are going very much against what voters think .

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,175
    edited May 2020
    It is trial by media! Don't do it Boris!

Oh and first.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Weren't the lockdown rules set by the government with the expectation that only half of us would comply?

They should have made them voluntary if they had to have them at all.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,944
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Let's scrap the lockdown>end furlough>get the economy going!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited May 2020
    43% of Conservative voters think Cummings should not resign, 41% think he should. A significantly higher 66% of Labour voters think he should resign.

45% of Leavers think Cummings should resign but a big majority, 66% of Remainers, think he should resign

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2020/05/23/56b74/2
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    Fishing said:

Weren't the lockdown rules set by the government with the expectation that only half of us would comply?

They should have made them voluntary if they had to have them at all.

They sure should
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    "The suspicion remains that somewhere, deep in their hearts, the cabinet’s collective reaction to this scandal – for such it is – is predicated on a still darker appreciation of an unwelcome political reality. Namely that the Prime Minister, whatever his other talents, is not actually up to the job of running the country in a moment such as this. "

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-dominic-cummings-must-go

I seem to recall that Gove had this view when he pulled the plug on a Johnson leadership run back in the day. Or did I dream that?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    Boris was right all along, this Labour Remainer lockdown was terrible!
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

As I (jokingly) posted earlier: this whole stunt was a game theory move by Dom to get UK back to work.
  • Options
    BantermanBanterman Posts: 287
    Nobody in the general public knows who he is. A media bubble story that will go away.

Still, the media are still mad about Brexit, Boris's election victory and the actual departure on January 31st 2020.

it reminds me of how Labour and their media mates attacked Lord Ashcroft in 2010 when as now, its a no name to the vast mass of people
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    HYUFD said:

43% of Conservative voters think Cummings should not resign, 41% think he should.

45% of Leavers think Cummings should resign but a significantly higher 66% of Remainers think he should resign

59% of Con voters and 63% of Leavers think he broke the rules was what caught my eye.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    FPT:
    rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

Matt tommorow.

It does seem particularly incongruous to lock up visiting tourists and returning Britons for 14 days, while permitting actively viral travel to Durham.

His cartoons really are excellent.

I must say I don't agree with the majority on here that this will significantly undermine the lockdown.

People will largely observe the rules regardless I suspect. They'll just be really annoyed and even more suspicious of politicians.
    That’s missing the point. If even 25% ignore them from now on, and the police do nothing - which unless Cummings resigns is pretty well all they can do - lockdown will simply progressively unravel over the next ten days.

Ironically, there could be worse ways of ending it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I am optimistic that Oxford are right and we have natural immunity and a lot of people who have had it without noticing.

But...

If that is incorrect and R shoots up as the lockdown now falls completely to pieces, then this administration is in in utter shit.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    One thing to note. The journalists were much-criticised for their near-repetition of questions in the press conferences. But it turns out that the government is claiming that there was small print all along. Its ability to claim that is much diminished by the many answers it gave to very similar questions.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    FPT: great timing with the comms strategy :D:D

https://twitter.com/govuk/status/1264179319695388673?s=21
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

43% of Conservative voters think Cummings should not resign, 41% think he should.

45% of Leavers think Cummings should resign but a significantly higher 66% of Remainers think he should resign

59% of Con voters and 63% of Leavers think he broke the rules was what caught my eye.
    Largely irrelevant if they want to keep him in post
  • Options
    edited May 2020

One thing to note. The journalists were much-criticised for their near-repetition of questions in the press conferences. But it turns out that the government is claiming that there was small print all along. Its ability to claim that is much diminished by the many answers it gave to very similar questions.

If they wanted to troll their haters they should just say "It was only advisory". No one has been arrested for breaking lockdown, so in reality it was
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Ave_it said:

"End furlough" - so those people whose businesses can't or won't re-open have to sign on or claim UC. I didn't know you were such a fan of welfare.
  • Options
    Banterman said:

Nobody in the general public knows who he is. A media bubble story that will go away.

Still, the media are still mad about Brexit, Boris's election victory and the actual departure on January 31st 2020.

it reminds me of how Labour and their media mates attacked Lord Ashcroft in 2010 when as now, its a no name to the vast mass of people

This was the lead story on Heart FM news all day. If it has traction on local commercial radio then it has escaped the bubble.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Its not irrelevant in the sense that @Philip_Thompson has been putting in the hours defending him all day.
  • Options
    I lost count, like the number of times Johnson lied
  • Options
    isam said:

If they wanted to troll their haters they should just say "It was only advisory"
    That would be five minutes of private amusement at the expense of any ability to get things done from this point on with the cooperation of the public.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited May 2020
    Not that I think it makes what Cummings did acceptable, but the government's aim during lockdown was to manage the macro rather than the micro.

The only time I can recall the government picking on any group of individuals was when one of them (Hancock, I think) had a pop at footballers.

Of course, they didn't ride to the rescue of Ferguson - though Shapps thinks that was because what he did wasn't understandable.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

isam said:

If they wanted to troll their haters they should just say "It was only advisory"
    That would be five minutes of private amusement at the expense of any ability to get things done from this point on with the cooperation of the public.
    Shapps almost said as much today though, didnt he? And, given that no one has been arrested/prosecuted for breaching the lockdown, it seems it was only advisory

Like you, I have broken the lockdown rules dozens of times. I know very few people who haven't actually. They've modified their behaviour to a massive extent, but no one has stuck to it to the letter that I can think of. Probably the public obedience outcome the government wanted, but not the PR outcome
  • Options
    stodge said:

Ave_it said:

"End furlough" - so those people whose businesses can't or won't re-open have to sign on or claim UC. I didn't know you were such a fan of welfare.
    We get rid of the lockdown rules so businesses should be viable. Those which can't survive will have to find alternative activities and/or their employees will have to find alternative work. It's called real world economics.

Agree I don't like welfare. Make UC only available after 3 months and then for a maximum of 6 months will ensure people have to find work
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Shapps almost said as much today though, didnt he? And, given that no one has been arrested/prosecuted for breaching the lockdown, it seems it was only advisory
    What are you on about? Over 14,000 people have been fined by Police in England alone for breaching lockdown.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    If I didn’t care about covid restrictions collapsing and wanted an albatross to be hung around the Tories’ neck, I’d be hoping Cummings stays on.

The polling shows far less difference between Remainers and Leavers on this than the majority of polling on most things recently - the obsessive insistence that it’s all a Remain-Leave thing is a political bubble thing by the Tory activists and politicians.
  • Options
    isam said:

If they wanted to troll their haters they should just say "It was only advisory". No one has been arrested for breaking lockdown, so in reality it was
    Well that isn't true. This article shows there were 78 in Scotland alone from 27 March to 23 April: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52410389
  • Options
    stodge said:

Ave_it said:

Furlough is welfare for those who are deemed too good for the dole.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Not that I think it makes what Cummings did acceptable, but the government's aim during lockdown was to manage the macro rather than the micro.

The only time I can recall the government picking on any group of individuals was when one of them (Hancock, I think) had a pop at footballers.

Of course, they didn't ride to the rescue of Ferguson - though Shapps thinks that was because what he did wasn't understandable.
    Ferguson complicates the rest. Too many cabinet ministers condemned him for what was technically not a breach of law, when they should have known right well that a number of their own colleagues may have actually breached the law (and the same goes for other political parties).
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Yes and that was the real damage done today.

The government is going to need the public working with it in the coming months. It has now incinerated its moral authority to command. Perhaps the public will do what they want anyway. That must be very doubtful.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

What are you on about? Over 14,000 people have been fined by Police in England alone for breaching lockdown.
    Oh ok I was wrong, sorry. I asked here earlier if anyone had been prosecuted/arrested and nobody came up with anything, so I assumed they hadn't. How much was the biggest fine?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    ydoethur said:

FPT:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

Matt tommorow.

It does seem particularly incongruous to lock up visiting tourists and returning Britons for 14 days, while permitting actively viral travel to Durham.

I must say I don't agree with the majority on here that this will significantly undermine the lockdown.

People will largely observe the rules regardless I suspect. They'll just be really annoyed and even more suspicious of politicians.
    That’s missing the point. If even 25% ignore them from now on, and the police do nothing - which unless Cummings resigns is pretty well all they can do - lockdown will simply progressively unravel over the next ten days.

Disagree. People are not observing lockdown out of fear of the police. They are doing it because they think it's the right thing to do.

We will see if Cummings does or doesn't resign. I'm happy to bet if he stays, the lockdown won't unravel in 10 days.
  • Options

isam said:

Well that isn't true. This article shows there were 78 in Scotland alone from 27 March to 23 April: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52410389
    Sorry, yes you're right. £30 fine, equivalent to a parking ticket.
  • Options

If I didn’t care about covid restrictions collapsing and wanted an albatross to be hung around the Tories’ neck, I’d be hoping Cummings stays on.

The polling shows far less difference between Remainers and Leavers on this than the majority of polling on most things recently - the obsessive insistence that it’s all a Remain-Leave thing is a political bubble thing by the Tory activists and politicians.

There is a 21% difference between Remainers and Leavers as to whether Cummings should resign or not and an even bigger 25% difference between Tory and Labour voters as to whether he should go.

That is still a sizeable gap
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

We will see if Cummings does or doesn't resign. I'm happy to bet if he stays, the lockdown won't unravel in 10 days.

No, it will unravel tomorrow
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,175
    Ave_it said:

stodge said:

Ave_it said:

We get rid of the lockdown rules so businesses should be viable. Those which can't survive will have to find alternative activities and/or their employees will have to find alternative work. It's called real world economics.

Agree I don't like welfare. Make UC only available after 3 months and then for a maximum of 6 months will ensure people have to find work
    Thanks for that Mr Duncan Smith.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Oh ok I was wrong, sorry. I asked here earlier if anyone had been prosecuted/arrested and nobody came up with anything, so I assumed they hadn't. How much was the biggest fine?
    How weird to assume that the fact nobody answered your question on an internet forum meant nobody had been arrested.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

FPT:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

Matt tommorow.

Disagree. People are not observing lockdown out of fear of the police. They are doing it because they think it's the right thing to do.

But that’s, again, missing the point. Cummings has effectively forced the government to say it’s *not* the right thing to do.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

FPT:

rkrkrk said:

Foxy said:

Matt tommorow.

So no reason then not to go back to work and school.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

It`s analagous to a speeding fine. £100 reduced to £50 if you pay it early.
  • Options
    Question re Cummings.

Did any of his relatives in Durham get infected ?
  • Options
    Does anyone know today's number of tests and positive results ?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Its not irrelevant in the sense that @Philip_Thompson has been putting in the hours defending him all day.
    Philip Thompson could be Cummings' love child, voted for Brexit, backs Boris, hates May and IDS and believes he is a liberal Brexiteer therefore morally superior to socially conservative Brexiteers
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349

I lost count, like the number of times Johnson lied

Same poor joke last time it was Boris children which was pretty pathetic. Nothing new here
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Ave_it said:

stodge said:

Ave_it said:

And then what?...I've got an idea...the Poor House...we can relocate the feckless plebs to camps to live off gruel.....provided they work for it of course...
  • Options

Ave_it said:

stodge said:

Ave_it said:

Oooh hope HYUFD likes my post!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Doubtless Bluestblue will be here to inform us shortly that Iain Dale is just another lefty remoaner Meeks.
  • Options

Question re Cummings.

No idea but, if that's a defence, it's rather like a drunk driver saying "well, I didn't actually crash my car, so what's your problem?"
  • Options
    With the government now bringing in a quarantine period for international travel doesn't that show what an open goal Starmer has had on the issue for three months.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

How weird to assume that the fact nobody answered your question on an internet forum meant nobody had been arrested.
    Haha

Usually any error, subjective or factual, is immediately corrected by people wishing to argue, so the absence of one made me think there had been no arrests. Not that weird really, but I humbly apologise
  • Options

With the government now bringing in a quarantine period for international travel doesn't that show what an open goal Starmer has had on the issue for three months.

You only have to look at the reaction from the luvvie media to see why Starmer won't criticise the government on it.
  • Options
    Oh dear.

The BoZograph was persuaded to run a spoiler last night that got zero airtime

Tonight even they have given up

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1264255392898584577
  • Options

Question re Cummings.

No idea but, if that's a defence, it's rather like a drunk driver saying "well, I didn't actually crash my car, so what's your problem?"
    Its not a defence.

Rather it would be conclusive proof of his guilt if they did get infected.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    Just look at the opinion of those new Tory seats in what was Labour's red wall.
  • Options
    The differences in those figures look statistically insignificant to me - unlike leave/remain etc.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,946
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Philip Thompson could be Cummings' love child, voted for Brexit, backs Boris, hates May and IDS and believes he is a liberal Brexiteer therefore morally superior to socially conservative Brexiteers
    He could be Cummings
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Scott_xP said:

rkrkrk said:

No, it will unravel tomorrow
    If you come up with a workable definition of 'unravel', I'm happy to bet for charity.

I might be wrong, but I think this is a bit like the expenses scandal. People will be incredibly angry at the hypocrisy and optics of it. But it's not going to inspire them to start fiddling their own expenses.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816

Fortunately, that quarantine period is also optional and up to the traveller’s judgement, I understand.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

He could be Cummings
    Nope Cummings can occasionally think one step beyond his first thought.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Ave_it said:

stodge said:

Ave_it said:

And then what?...I've got an idea...the Poor House...we can relocate the feckless plebs to camps to live off gruel.....provided they work for it of course...
    You are learning tyson old boy.....
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

The differences in those figures look statistically insignificant to me - unlike leave/remain etc.
    Only Scotland is any different. Strange take from Mike
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

You only have to look at the reaction from the luvvie media to see why Starmer won't criticise the government on it.
    For globalist sociopaths there is no limit on the number of lives worth losing in order to keep freedom of movement.
  • Options

Question re Cummings.

As I said earlier...of more importance.....did his missus, Mrs Dom, leave the bog seat down before flushing after she took a dump en route....

At least his family knew what they were letting themselves in for....Mrs Dom most probably unleashed her virus full load on some unknowing schmucks who could possibly now be dead.....
  • Options
    What happened to "Night time is the right time to fight crime"? You used to be on the side of fighting crime, Dr Cummings.
  • Options
    eek said:

Just look at the opinion of those new Tory seats in what was Labour's red wall.
    They are not separated out there.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

stodge said:

Ave_it said:

Oooh hope HYUFD likes my post!
    Personally I support UC but while I support sanctions if you are not looking for work I do not support time limited welfare provided you are following the rules
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I don't think Boris can balls this out and have bet £50 at 2/1 with Ladbrokes that Cummings will go this month.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

tyson said:

Ave_it said:

stodge said:

Ave_it said:

You are learning tyson old boy.....
    I'm learning....

• Options

Fortunately, that quarantine period is also optional and up to the traveller’s judgement, I understand.
    If it is then its worthless.

Though it may cause aggravation between and employer and an employee who has been abroad.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited May 2020
    tlg86 said:

I wonder if that's the motif for the Starmer leadership? Good at forensic point scoring at PMQs but when it comes to taking a principled stand on issues, he's not there.

His Brexit strategy before the election was designed to offend as few people as possible, but it ended up being so convoluted that nobody knew what it was.

His school reopening position is similarly bewildering - he's neither for nor against, but wants the teachers and the government to work it out so he doesn't have to take any decisions himself. Or something.

(For the avoidance of doubt, it may be enough to make him PM in 2024 if the Government is badly unpopular by then).
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Scott_xP said:
    Not half as much as Channel 4 is.
  • Options

I don't think Boris can balls this out and have bet £50 at 2/1 with Ladbrokes that Cummings will go this month.

If a majority of Tory voters think Cummings should go he is toast, at the moment, narrowly, they don't
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    *tiptoes in*

Are we still talking about this? Jeez.

*tiptoes out again*
  • Options
    tyson said:

Question re Cummings.

As I said earlier...of more importance.....did his missus, Mrs Dom, leave the bog seat down before flushing after she took a dump en route....

At least his family knew what they were letting themselves in for....Mrs Dom most probably unleashed her virus full load on some unknowing schmucks who could possibly now be dead.....
    You seem to have developed a curious obsession about public toilets.

Is there some personal experience you wish to tell us about ?

There's no need to be bashful, I'm sure SeanT has done worse.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,528
    Is this a real Yougov survey, or is it the online poll they are running for the public on their website?
  • Options
    I believe there is a second house on the farm
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945
    tyson said:

Ave_it said:

stodge said:

Ave_it said:

Workhouses. Top quality idea, Tyson. We could billet the unemployed in the hotels that now stand empty and have them out picking this summer's crop. Longer term we could set up factories adjacent to the hotels and start on-shoring all the work we handed to China.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

If you come up with a workable definition of 'unravel', I'm happy to bet for charity.

I might be wrong, but I think this is a bit like the expenses scandal. People will be incredibly angry at the hypocrisy and optics of it. But it's not going to inspire them to start fiddling their own expenses.

By unravel I mean there will be more people traveling this weekend and visiting relatives, but I don't know how we would measure that.
  • Options
    That’s because he carried the virus there with him.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited May 2020
    They were also furious with the photo of the boy lying on the hospital floor ... for two days, and then they forgot about it. I remain utterly perplexed with the obsession with ephemera on here.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

rkrkrk said:

By unravel I mean there will be more people traveling this weekend and visiting relatives, but I don't know how we would measure that.
    There was always going to be more people travelling and visiting relatives this weekend.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Banterman said:

That's a keeper.
This discussion has been closed.