Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The paper that should worry the Tories this morning is the Dai

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited May 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The paper that should worry the Tories this morning is the Daily Mail

Inevitably the papers big story this lockdown bank holiday Monday is the decision by Johnson to retain Cummings in spite what appears to be a clear breach of the lockdown rules.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited May 2020
    Mike is spot on, again.

That Daily Mail front page Comment is eviscerating. And I believe it speaks for millions of people up and down the country (which is where Cummings has been) who have pulled together and sacrificed everything they can in a spirit of countrywide unity in order to beat back this virus.

If you'll pardon the language it's as if the PM and Cummings have pissed all over them. The fury and hurt out there is tangible. Not just adults either: children bewildered and wondering what on earth their united fight was all about.

I have never seen anything quite like it this side of the Atlantic. It will be Boris Johnson's Black Wednesday, occurring 23 weeks after his General Election victory, just as the September Black Wednesday 1992 was 23 weeks after Major's win.

The results will be the same. Johnson's approval ratings will plummet, the Conservatives will slide in the polls and Johnson will never recover from this.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    Politicians and their advisers can shrug off all sorts of mistakes, but when an incident captures a negative perception about that person with perfect neatness, it clings to public memory. John Prescott’s use of two official Jaguars in the 1990s earned him a nickname that endured for decades, because it spoke to the suspicion that this man of the people luxuriated in the trappings of high office. David Cameron was dogged by the revelation he once cycled to work in parliament with a car following behind carrying his shoes, because it suggested a life of out-of-touch ease. The photograph of Ed Miliband eating a bacon sandwich has been circulated endlessly because it was seen as evidence that he lacked prime ministerial gravitas.

Moments such as these have staying power because they betray an uncomfortable truth. Cummings’s lockdown breach — not once, it seems, but twice — will hang around for a long time because it captures the arrogance that many accuse him of, and the entitlement that many suspect of Conservatives in general. This story is not going away.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/dominic-cummings-makes-a-mockery-of-his-own-coronavirus-policy-78w09n5h2
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    On my Facebook page there is a post to the effect that there is 'a marvellous Covid-19 Mutual Aid group' in Islington. A 'network of volunteers which could and would have helped him'. There's a also a slightly odd comment to the effect that the community could and would have helped him (although) he he didn't help us.
  • Options
    Relax, the crisis will soon be over. The PM has deployed his best communicator to smooth over the row on the today programme

https://twitter.com/BBCr4today/status/1264794038760353793
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good morning, everyone.

One's assertion, before the 5pm press conference yesterday, that was the PM was a vacillating coward of poor judgement, appears vindicated.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    edited May 2020
    Thinking about it a bit more, I think someone here nailed the real reason for the trip to Durham when they said Cummings didn't want to have to take care of his wife and child and decided his family could do it instead. So instead he maximised the child's risk of infection, he put the rest of his family at risk of infection, and - assuming it wasn't a non-stop trip - he put other members of the public at risk of infection. Almost as soon as he was out of bed, he swanned off on a 30-mile day trip.

About ten times worse than the behaviour other people such as Calderwood and Ferguson have had to resign for, but Cummings really is above the rules.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited May 2020

Good morning, everyone.

One's assertion, before the 5pm press conference yesterday, that was the PM was a vacillating coward of poor judgement, appears vindicated.

Yep, kudos to you. I thought beforehand he couldn't be that bad, I was wrong.

Edit: in that vein.

https://twitter.com/gdog2010_john/status/1264680166153994240?s=20
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    edited May 2020
    The Mail isn’t giving up anytime soon:

THE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

1. How many ministers, including the PM, knew Mr Cummings had travelled to Durham and was self-isolating there?

2. Did Mr Cummings ask for advice or permission from No 10 before he travelled?

3. Why did Mr Cummings insist neither he nor his family had been spoken to by Durham Police, when his father had contacted the force himself?

4. Can Mr Cummings explain where he was on April 12, when he was allegedly spotted at Barnard Castle?

5. Can Mr Cummings provide details of his whereabouts on April 19, when he was allegedly seen in Houghall Woods?

6. What reason can Mr Cummings provide for allegedly travelling to Durham for a second time after his return to London, given he and his wife had recovered from their symptoms?

7. Why didn’t another family member near Mr Cummings’s London home care for their child when his wife displayed virus symptoms?

8. How many times did Mr Cummings travel between London and the North East during lockdown?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8353009/Boris-Johnson-faces-biggest-rebellion-yet.html
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I’m struck at how forcefully the bishops have condemned all this. They don’t have much influence nowadays but still, they have been remarkably forthright.
  • Options

I’m struck at how forcefully the bishops have condemned all this. They don’t have much influence nowadays but still, they have been remarkably forthright.

I suspect they are reflecting the views of their parishoners
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Meeks, precisely.

If we get a second wave, as is entirely possible, the Government will ask for some form of lockdown or lesser restrictions. Getting the public to go along with that when they've established that the rules aren't enforced equally will be very difficult.

The result of that will be increased deaths, as well as economic damage.

And it's just plain stupid. If the PM wanted to stand behind Cummings then the inquiry was the way to go (I thought that'd be what he said). Pretending this is all closed is nonsense. If it were just leftwing papers that might be a line that would work. But rightwing media and, more importantly, numbers of Conservative MPs are calling for Grima Wormtongue's removal.

An 80 seat majority means the Conservative Government is safe. It does not mean the Conservative Prime Minister is safe.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited May 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Regardless of the justification of his anger at Cummings and the Govt, i’m not quite sure what that is supposed to achieve? Because Cummings put innocent people at risk, i’m going to abandon them as well?

There’s also a difference between people rightly arguing that Govt members not following their own guidance makes it harder to encourage people following it nationally, and individuals saying “well if x/y/z won’t act to save lives, then neither (personally) will I”.
  • Options

One problem that the government has is that the scandal is not fundamentally peripheral (like, for example, Peter Mandelson’s difficulties with mortgages and passports). It goes to the heart of government policy.

Every time the government asks the public to make sacrifices to deal with Covid-19, it is going to be asked what loopholes exist for the elite. And the public are going to make their decisions based on self-interest, not collective interest.

Yes, this is a Public Health crisis as much - or more than - a political crisis. In the middle of a pandemic that’s killed tens of thousands, trashed the economy and will affect all of our lives for the foreseeable future. And now if there is a second spike the government will have no political cover - their defence of “people didn’t follow the advice” is null and void.
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

If we get a second wave, as is entirely possible, the Government will ask for some form of lockdown or lesser restrictions. Getting the public to go along with that when they've established that the rules aren't enforced equally will be very difficult.

And it's just plain stupid. If the PM wanted to stand behind Cummings then the inquiry was the way to go (I thought that'd be what he said). Pretending this is all closed is nonsense. If it were just leftwing papers that might be a line that would work. But rightwing media and, more importantly, numbers of Conservative MPs are calling for Grima Wormtongue's removal.

Well, if you lot hadn't knifed poor Gandalf in the back, we might have stood a chance!
  • Options
    FFS. The charge is that BoZo and Dom didn't follow the rules and set their own standards.

The defence...

https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1264802155237715968
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288

THE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

1. How many ministers, including the PM, knew Mr Cummings had travelled to Durham and was self-isolating there?

3. Why did Mr Cummings insist neither he nor his family had been spoken to by Durham Police, when his father had contacted the force himself?

4. Can Mr Cummings explain where he was on April 12, when he was allegedly spotted at Barnard Castle?

5. Can Mr Cummings provide details of his whereabouts on April 19, when he was allegedly seen in Houghall Woods?

6. What reason can Mr Cummings provide for allegedly travelling to Durham for a second time after his return to London, given he and his wife had recovered from their symptoms?

7. Why didn’t another family member near Mr Cummings’s London home care for their child when his wife displayed virus symptoms?

8. How many times did Mr Cummings travel between London and the North East during lockdown?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8353009/Boris-Johnson-faces-biggest-rebellion-yet.html

Absolutely correct, Carlotta. There's more though.

Do we know the wife was ill? How ill? She wrote a lengthy piece on Dom's illness. Can she provide a list of dates and places? How about his parents - can they corroborate the story?

I'm begining to wonder whether the whole thing is just one huge cock and bull story to cover a more serious and blatant disregard of Government instructions.

Let's hope our Press gets properly into this.

And Kudos to the Daily Mail (words I never thought I would write) for being so forthright.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

John Crace:

All that Boris really amounts to is a parasitical ball of compromised ambition fuelled by a viral overload of neediness and cowardice. There is no substance or dignity left within the prime minister. His only instinct is his own survival.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/24/no-dignity-no-future-boris-forsakes-leadership-to-protect-cummings
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    In today's Christ there are folk in an even worse state than us news.

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1264788478933360640?s=20
  • Options

THE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

Do we know the wife was ill? How ill? She wrote a lengthy piece on Dom's illness. Can she provide a list of dates and places? How about his parents - can they corroborate the story?

I'm begining to wonder whether the whole thing is just one huge cock and bull story to cover a more serious and blatant disregard of Government instructions.

One thing Cummings isn't going to be able to do is to magic up out of thin air an extra house on his parents' property, if that doesn't really exist.
  • Options

THE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

And Kudos to the Daily Mail (words I never thought I would write) for being so forthright.
    It is apparent that nothing like the truth has yet been told. What the truth is, however, is not yet visible.
  • Options

THE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

It is apparent that nothing like the truth has yet been told. What the truth is, however, is not yet visible.
    It stinks like rotten fish.

If my wife were down with the Virus, the last thing I would be thinking of doing would be to drive her 250 miles to be looked after by somebody else.
  • Options

And to what end?

What secret is so great they are willing to sacrifice public health to prevent speaking it?
  • Options

THE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

It stinks like rotten fish.

If my wife were down with the Virus, the last thing I would be thinking of doing would be to drive her 250 miles to be looked after by somebody else.
    Especially if I was starting to feel really rough too.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

An 80 seat majority means the Conservative Government is safe. It does not mean the Conservative Prime Minister is safe.

What keeps him safe is the fact that there's no obvious alternative.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647
    edited May 2020

THE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

I also think its possible neither of them were ill, it would explain the lack of concern re his parents. If I were ill with covid, the absolute last place I would go is to my over 70s parents. Perhaps he was extremely frit of the disease given his underlying health conditions, the PM having it and his reaction running from Downing St when he found out about it.

But I would actually have far more sympathy for him doing that than travelling 350 miles when ill to his elderly parents (or next door or whatever to them). The web of lies would still be a resigning matter but it would be nowhere as selfish or dangerous.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Scott_xP said:
    Why are the spineless Tory Ministers even bothering now? It's become a farce! Where is @malcolmg when you need to him to sum up the moronic Tories?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066
    That odd feeling you get when you agree with Piers Morgan and the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

They could put Michael Gove in, he seems basically competent, and looking like Pob is less of an impediment when there are serious problems to be solved.
  • Options

THE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

I also think its possible neither of them were ill, it would explain the lack of concern re his parents. If I were ill with covid, the absolute last place I would go is to my over 70s parents. Perhaps he was extremely frit of the disease given his underlying health conditions, the PM having it and his reaction running from Downing St when he found out about it.

But I would actually have far more sympathy for him doing that than travelling 350 miles when ill to his elderly parents (or next door or whatever to them). The web of lies would still be a resigning matter but it would be nowhere as selfish or dangerous.
    Correct. The 'any reasonable parent thinking of their kid' shtick is not really standing up to examination. The concern for the parents is nowhere.
  • Options
    On topic, the Mail is a huge problem for the Prime Minister. It is the biggest selling newspaper now and its readership is comprised of elderly voters who see the news as a source of fear and anger. And now these weapons are being directed against him. This is not a rift that is going to be quickly healed.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Pulpstar said:

The Cummings issue isn't a right vs left one, it's a right vs wrong.
    And Boris is wrong.

It’s a Brexit issue.

Or a parent issue.

And the pent up frustrations of the hateful lefty lynch mobs locked indoors for months throwing darts at pictures of “Tories”.

Ugly ugly scenes.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

The cemeteries are full of the indispensable.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Nothing new, the World has been laughing at us for a few years now....
  • Options
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Pulpstar said:

And Boris is wrong.

It’s a Brexit issue.

Or a parent issue.

And the pent up frustrations of the hateful lefty lynch mobs locked indoors for months throwing darts at pictures of “Tories”.

Ugly ugly scenes.
    A searing indictment of the despicable behaviour of everyone except Cummings and Johnson, in fact?
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Pulpstar said:

And Boris is wrong.

It’s a Brexit issue.
    It may have started as that.

Johnson has turned it into a Public Health issue.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    TELEGRAPH: "Decision could cost lives....", "Alarm in Cabinet".

And the inevitable #Domnishambles
  • Options
    Can’t believe they made Scott set his alarm AGAIN on a Bank Holiday to post tweets in a doomed cause.

Tough break Scott.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

They could put Michael Gove in, he seems basically competent, and looking like Pob is less of an impediment when there are serious problems to be solved.
    Maybe, but if a weekend of bad headlines is enough to get you ousted, I don't imagine he'd last very long.
  • Options
    Three days in, and government ministers are completely unable to provide meaningful answers on the basic facts of the case, let alone the justification.

Apart from anything else, this will go down as a textbook example of how not to manage a scandal.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Pulpstar said:

And Boris is wrong.

It’s a Brexit issue.

Or a parent issue.

Ugly ugly scenes.
    Yes Hartley Brewer, Dale, Montgomery, the treacherous remainers.
  • Options
    Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

Pulpstar said:

And Boris is wrong.

It’s a Brexit issue.

Or a parent issue.

Ugly ugly scenes.
    A searing indictment of the despicable behaviour of everyone except Cummings and Johnson, in fact?
    Parenthood may yet change you Chris - if it ever happens.
  • Options

THE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

It would put his wife straight into the spotlight, her having recorded an almost tearful interview recounting how he couldn't even lift himself out of bed for days on end.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Can’t believe they made Scott set his alarm AGAIN on a Bank Holiday to post tweets in a doomed cause.

Tough break Scott.

What doomed cause is this? I'm genuinely baffled by that term!
  • Options
    This is pitiful

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1264809884912160768

"If he was telling the truth, he did nothing wrong. And we have not and will not make any attempt to discern if he is in fact telling the truth"

British public, FUCK YOU !!
  • Options

Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

But Gove is the only man who is further up Cummings' fundament than the PM.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

TGOHF666 said:

Tough break Scott.

To get Dom - in revenge for Brexit.

That’s all this is about - in the end.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

THE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

It would put his wife straight into the spotlight, her having recorded an almost tearful interview recounting how he couldn't even lift himself out of bed for days on end.
    Its not unusual for the cover up to become the bigger problem than the initial action.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Chris said:

TGOHF666 said:

Pulpstar said:

And Boris is wrong.

It’s a Brexit issue.

Or a parent issue.

Ugly ugly scenes.
    Parenthood may yet change you Chris - if it ever happens.
    You mean once I've had a child I'll be so reluctant to take care of it that I'd rather put it and most of my family at risk, like Cummings did?

My commiserations if that's your experience.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    TGOHF666 said:

murali_s said:

TGOHF666 said:

Tough break Scott.

Bollocks.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,177

In today's Christ there are folk in an even worse state than us news.

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1264788478933360640?s=20

Meh. America.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

THE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

Its not unusual for the cover up to become the bigger problem than the initial action.
    It’s unbelievably bad news management. In a parallel universe, a fortnight ago Boris Johnson proactively let it be known that he had given Dominic Cummings a severe dressing down when it had come to his attention that he had not followed the rules and let it be known he’d blown his top at him. And Dominic Cummings would still be in post and the Prime Minister’s reputation for decisive leadership would have been enhanced.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141

Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

Quite possibly, but he also looks like he'd be capable of doing the job without him.

When a leader gets knifed (not that I'm saying this will happen), it's often an ambitious loyalist who takes his place.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

murali_s said:

TGOHF666 said:

Tough break Scott.

I think you'll find that most non-crazy people barely even remember Brexit now. All that nonsense feels as though it happened in a different universe, given what's happened since.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    I suspect the Nonconformist Churches are not so keen either.

For that matter, not the mosques closed on Eid al Fitr too, a time when getting together with family and community particularly missed.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:
    Should people be shouting at him in the street? No, they shouldn’t.

Now Dan Hodges should ask himself why they are shouting at Dominic Cummings in the street. The answer is: they’re bloody furious.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Pulpstar said:

And Boris is wrong.

It’s a Brexit issue.

Or a parent issue.

Ugly ugly scenes.
    Hateful lefty lynch mobs like the leader writers and editorial team of the Daily Mail
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    FLT: "I wonder if the British are now in a situation where they can't put together a sensible response, because that would involve admitting that their stupid response (basically nothing for weeks, followed by all kinds of draconian things that don't help) was stupid."

No ban on air travel when there should have been - stupid (though hindsight alert). Quarantine now on arrivals when arrivals will be from countries safer than ours - stupid.

Populism is looking to be a problem isn`t it.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

IanB2 said:

THE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

But I would actually have far more sympathy for him doing that than travelling 350 miles when ill to his elderly parents (or next door or whatever to them). The web of lies

would still be a resigning matter but it would be nowhere as selfish or dangerous.
    It’s unbelievably bad news management. In a parallel universe, a fortnight ago Boris Johnson proactively let it be known that he had given Dominic Cummings a severe dressing down when it had come to his attention that he had not followed the rules and let it be known he’d blown his top at him. And Dominic Cummings would still be in post and the Prime Minister’s reputation for decisive leadership would have been enhanced.
    I don’t think that would have been enough. It is as always going to need a resignation/sacking. Obviously doing it quickly reduces the impact of the story considerably.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

Quite possibly, but he also looks like he'd be capable of doing the job without him.

When a leader gets knifed (not that I'm saying this will happen), it's often an ambitious loyalist who takes his place.
    Could explain the Daily Mail position.....Gove's second revenge.......but probably it would just be too egregious to try and support the govt position to their readers.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

But, if Johnson were ditched (which I still think is highly, highly unlikely) due to backlash over mugging off the public as egregiously as he did yesterday, those are circumstances where you cannot possibly go for the only person to have been MORE slavishly loyal to the cause of keeping Dom's bumhole squeaky clean.

It would be like getting rid of Thatcher in the midst of poll tax backlash, and saying "introducing your new PM, Mr Nicholas Ridley!"
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

THE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

But I would actually have far more sympathy for him doing that than travelling 350 miles when ill to his elderly parents (or next door or whatever to them). The web of lies

would still be a resigning matter but it would be nowhere as selfish or dangerous.
    I don’t think that would have been enough. It is as always going to need a resignation/sacking. Obviously doing it quickly reduces the impact of the story considerably.
    If the government had pre-detonated the story, a contrite and publicly disciplined Dominic Cummings could have survived.

Perhaps the problem was that he can’t do contrition.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

Gove, Sunak, Hunt

Raab even.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

murali_s said:

TGOHF666 said:

Tough break Scott.

Lol. Those leading Brexiters who repeatedly voted against Brexit have now moved on to calling for the architect of the Brexit campaign to resign?
  • Options

Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

But, if Johnson were ditched (which I still think is highly, highly unlikely) due to backlash over mugging off the public as egregiously as he did yesterday, those are circumstances where you cannot possibly go for the only person to have been MORE slavishly loyal to the cause of keeping Dom's bumhole squeaky clean.

It would be like getting rid of Thatcher in the midst of poll tax backlash, and saying "introducing your new PM, Mr Nicholas Ridley!"
    Would the party be ready to accept a Hunt/Javid type? Probably not Brexity enough.

So it would be a Raab/Williamson/Patel

Thinking about that, just perhaps..... actually on balance..... Cummings was acting completely 100% appropriately........
  • Options

Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

Would the party be ready to accept a Hunt/Javid type? Probably not Brexity enough.

Thinking about that, just perhaps..... actually on balance..... Cummings was acting completely 100% appropriately........
    You're ignoring by far the most popular cabinet minister, aren't you?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    On the plus side, the level of sheer fury about all this might actually mean that people will follow the rules after all and avoid a second spike. I wasn’t expecting quite this level of vitriol from everyone - it’s the sort of thing I associate with an angry attitude of: “Well, I’m going to do the right thing even if these arseholes play fast and loose”
    Which ends up making them angrier - as if they’re having to clean up after the mess from the spoilt brats.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

A lump of lard? A steaming turd? An echoing moral void? All seem close substitutes for the current office holder and would probably do a better job.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

Gove, Sunak, Hunt

Raab even.
    Sunak is an unproven lightweight with terrible judgement who has only been popular when giving away unaffordable amounts of money. He may be ready in a decade or two.

Hunt and Raab has made plenty of errors of judgement of their own.

Gove is the only vaguely plausible one, but has a list of enemies even longer than Boris.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    Pulpstar said:

Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

Gove, Sunak, Hunt

Raab even.
    I`ve been topping up my Hunt bets this morning and laying Starmer for next PM.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

Sunak? Yes its plausible, he would be my choice as well, but Im not sure he has a support base in the party or amongst MPs, and is very inexperienced. Would he want it?

Also I cant remember when my preferred candidate last won a party leadership election in any party - its at least a decade! There must have been someone in the 00s but I cant think of one! So it aint gonna be Sunak.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Pulpstar said:

Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

Gove, Sunak, Hunt

Raab even.
    Sunak is an unproven lightweight with terrible judgement who has only been popular when giving away unaffordable amounts of money.
    Sounds like the perfect successor to Johnson. Continuity but without the baggage.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    The whole thing is starting to have a bit of a whiff of the Profumo scandal about it - the lying, the out of touch elite, the disdain for the opinions and attitudes of the little people. I'm not sure I can imagine Cummings spending forty years sweeping the floor of Toynbee Hall in penance though.
  • Options

On the plus side, the level of sheer fury about all this might actually mean that people will follow the rules after all and avoid a second spike. I wasn’t expecting quite this level of vitriol from everyone - it’s the sort of thing I associate with an angry attitude of: “Well, I’m going to do the right thing even if these arseholes play fast and loose”
    Which ends up making them angrier - as if they’re having to clean up after the mess from the spoilt brats.

Yeah, someone important being let off after caught doing over 100mph on the motorway sure makes everyone else determined to stick to 70.....
  • Options

Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

Curiously, that kind of thing can happen occasionally though. When Chamberlain was ousted over Norway, his replacement was one of the men most responsible for the disaster.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2020
    Fishing said:

Pulpstar said:

Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

Gove, Sunak, Hunt

Raab even.
    Sunak is an unproven lightweight with terrible judgement who has only been popular when giving away unaffordable amounts of money. He may be ready in a decade or two.

Gove is the only vaguely plausible one, but has a list of enemies even longer than Boris.
    Sunak is the best public communicator the Tories currently have except Boris Johnson - up to now, or at least formerly - I would say.
  • Options
    There are still those who are following the chain of logic of:

1: There is a controversy involving Cummings
    2: Cummings was the architect of Leave
    3: Ergo it’s all a conspiracy by Remainers
    4: Hold the line.

The possibility that there might actually be a non-Brexit related controversy involving Cummings hasn’t yet penetrated. That the Mail, plus many prominent Brexiteers have lambasted him over this might be a clue that, you know, this is about something he’s actually done - would require a big shift in outlook.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Fishing said:

Pulpstar said:

Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

Gove, Sunak, Hunt

Raab even.

They're all plausible alternatives. Normally I wouldn't include someone as recently promoted as Sunak but he's dealing with possibly the sharpest recession ever so it's quite the blooding, and Raab hardly inspired confidence when the PM was hospitalised but they're all plausible alternatives.
    I've got £10 on Steve Baker in this market at 100-1 too, which looks more plausible this week than it did last.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Mr. Meeks, precisely.

Sunak? Yes its plausible, he would be my choice as well, but Im not sure he has a support base in the party or amongst MPs, and is very inexperienced. Would he want it?
    I know there are lots of politicians who have sat out their big opportunity to wait for a better moment.

But, if he did, he'd be absolutely crazy. Destiny often doesn't coming a-knocking twice.

Again, I don't think there's a vacancy. But, if there were, he'd be taking on a party with a majority of 80 and four years on its term. Yes, it's a very tough period economically and socially coming up... but people do still understand there has been a major natural disaster.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2020
    MaxPB said:

I think this might bring down Boris if he doesn't sack big Dom. I have non-political friends who voted for Boris that are absolutely seething with rage having missed funerals, not seen nieces and nephews, one hasn't held his newborn daughter because he works on grid maintenance where social distancing isn't possible.

All of them backed Boris as a straight shooter who wasn't like other politicians. Tbh, even if Boris sacks Dom and has a damascene conversion it has mortally wounded his premiership.

Among reliably Tory friends I have the situation is worse.

Indeed. This has a multi-dimensional toxicity. It represents a total breakdown of the covid consensus combined with the unravelling of the government's earlier "anti-elite" posture.
  • Options
    Johnson would have got away with it if Corbyn was still LOTO.

Unfortunately, there is an alternative leader who is - at least in some polls - more popular than he is. That’s a big problem.
  • Options
    The longer this goes on the better. I've never seen a man shit on his own head before but having perfected it on live TV yesterday Shagger has decided to keep going and try to get ministers like Williamson to do it as well.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Yeah, someone important being let off after caught doing over 100mph on the motorway sure makes everyone else determined to stick to 70.....
    Look, this is my straw, you can find your own to cling to,

This discussion has been closed.