Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Cummings press conference – what’s your verdict?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited May 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Cummings press conference – what’s your verdict?

Yet the family were unable to complete the 30 minute drive to Barnard Castle without the need for a toilet stop

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    That he is an arse.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    To take that grilling and not slip up shows why the government need him. He is a smooth operator. The press will try and find holes in his account but should they not be accountable if not for saying he made 2 trips to Durham and went to the Castle?
  • Options
    3ChordTrick3ChordTrick Posts: 98
    Some first class bollocks in there, especially the casket trip to test his eyesight. Not contrite. Arrogant even now.

But unless new info emerges which it surely won't, he's done enough to hang on.
  • Options
    Having rung the elderly Tory voter in my family for an immediate reaction, this has been the equivalent of petrol on a bonfire.

The local council leader is a friend of hers, so she's off to give him a bollocking.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    He should resign, but won't, so this will be bad for the Government and those professionals attempting to combat the Virus.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Survivable as a one off, but it isn't a one off. It isn't distracting attention from the government's solid achievements in fighting the vaccine but from its staggering incompetence over ppe, testing, apps, care homes, quarantine and everything else.

VI and I, like James.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    IshmaelZ said:

That he is an arse.

True but that wasn't the issue.

The law requires a reasonable excuse. He had one. That applies to everyone ... He must be treated the same as anyone else under the law.

Tragic circumstances, glad his child is safe after the hospital visit. Not a situation I'd wish on any parent.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    He's a massive c*** and he's going to destroy the party's credibility with voters. He has to go and so does Boris.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,633
    edited May 2020

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

He comes across as sad and geeky and humble in a way I hadn't expected at all. I feel more sympathetic than I expected, but doesn't change my mind. I am a lot angrier with Johnson than with him but then I always was

I think he’s been warned he needs to cool it. Yesterday he just came across as mind bending ly arrogant.

But the admissions he has made are devastating.
    Bit defensive, isn't he! Never seen him like that before.

He's cleared up a lot of the facts, but he still broke the guidelines, more than once. The 'reasonable excuse' defence doesn't really hold for someone in his position. He ought to resign, but he won't.

That's very bad for the Government, and for those trying to beat this Virus.
    Reasonable excuse is the law. It applies to everyone.
    That may well be the hook on which any defence applies, though as a news story I don't think it affects those who are angry from a 'one rule for them not us' perspective - that there were reasonable excuses or exceptional circumstances people could have used for various trips may well only make people angrier, since they either didn't take up those excuses voluntarily and regret that, or did not realise they could and will blame the messaging.
    MaxPB said:

He's a massive c*** and he's going to destroy the party's credibility with voters. He has to go and so does Boris.

One, at least, has no reason to go even if their credibility is destroyed with voters, since they won't be facing them for a while.

Quite why the other is so awesome her merits such protection rather than nobly falling on his sword I do not know. I'd have thought it was a key adviser skill to know when your presence is not helping.
  • Options
    This was Cummings Mark Robbins in the Cup moment for Fergie. Knives out and he did enough to keep his job and he'll end up winning loads of trophies and the press will think if only we could have provided a bit more evidence we could have changed the course of history.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,929

IshmaelZ said:

That he is an arse.

The law requires a reasonable excuse. He had one. That applies to everyone ... He must be treated the same as anyone else under the law.

Tragic circumstances, glad his child is safe after the hospital visit. Not a situation I'd wish on any parent.
    You might think it "reasonable" but a lot of people clearly don’t: they and their friends managed to stay at home, often under far more trying circumstances.

Cummings was tested and found wanting. That’s what people see, regardless of the details of whether or not what he did was actually illegal.

The flannelling and refusal to apologise just makes it worse.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    Statement good; tone good. Half hour delay after (and presumably to take account of) the Durham Police statement is suspicious at best.

Trouble is it left too many hostages to fortune. At best voters will now feel sorry for the man who broke all the guidelines they had to follow. At worst tomorrow's front pages will have a line-by-line analysis of which rules he broke in which order.

PBers who followed @stjohn's tip will have made enough to pay for tonight's fish and chips.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    Well I'm glad I quit the party last year, some of us knew this shit storm was coming.

And it really isn't about Brexit, some of us have thought Dominic Cummings was a cock end when we first dealt with him, which preceded Brexit.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

That he is an arse.

I don't think even he would deny that. I think he's proud of it. It is, admittedly, hard to attempt a judgement whilst separating from the view of his general arseness (though it had to be done with the SAGE nonsense).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Well I'm glad I quit the party last year, some of us knew this shit storm was coming.

And it really isn't about Brexit, some of us have thought Dominic Cummings was a cock end when we first dealt with him, which preceded Brexit.

BiB - that really was prescient!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

He comes across as sad and geeky and humble in a way I hadn't expected at all. I feel more sympathetic than I expected, but doesn't change my mind. I am a lot angrier with Johnson than with him but then I always was

I think he’s been warned he needs to cool it. Yesterday he just came across as mind bending ly arrogant.

He's cleared up a lot of the facts, but he still broke the guidelines, more than once. The 'reasonable excuse' defence doesn't really hold for someone in his position. He ought to resign, but he won't.

That may well be the hook on which any defence applies, though as a news story I don't think it affects those who are angry from a 'one rule for them not us' perspective - that there were reasonable excuses or exceptional circumstances people could have used for various trips may well only make people angrier, since they either didn't take up those excuses voluntarily and regret that, or did not realise they could and will blame the messaging.
    MaxPB said:

One, at least, has no reason to go even if their credibility is destroyed with voters, since they won't be facing them for a while.

Quite why the other is so awesome her merits such protection rather than nobly falling on his sword I do not know. I'd have thought it was a key adviser skill to know when your presence is not helping.
    As you said there's no election for years. Unless he's broken the law there's no reason for him to go if he's been reasonable under the law. And politically no sense for him to go when his services are needed with 7 months to go until the end of transition.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Excellent presser from Cummings.

A 'till they drop' press conference straight out of the Arnie Vinick playbook.

Dom is safe. The media are found wanting, again.
  • Options
    But he's likely admitted to a criminal offence or two, so it's not all bad.
  • Options
    Car crash.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Mortimer said:

Excellent presser from Cummings.

A 'till they drop' press conference straight out of the Arnie Vinick playbook.

Dom is safe. The media are found wanting, again.

Vinick lost a few weeks later.
  • Options

Which ones?
  • Options
    As a Labour voter, I am glad he is staying on.
  • Options
    Brom said:

This was Cummings Mark Robbins in the Cup moment for Fergie. Knives out and he did enough to keep his job and he'll end up winning loads of trophies and the press will think if only we could have provided a bit more evidence we could have changed the course of history.

No, it's tennis. He has defended a match point against the government, but he's only back to deuce. Not good this early in the game.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,223
    He came across better than I expected. But there is the nagging doubt that what he has told is a carefully contrived retrospective explanation for the events, but not a truthful one. Doubtless he has been through it over and over and is confident there aren’t any potential holes. Time will tell.

Meanwhile the bottom line remains that everyone was told to stay at home, and people with the virus were additionally told not to leave their home.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,941
    "Going to Barnard Castle."
    "Just testing my eyesight."
    Are about to become euphemisms for dissembling bollocks.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Which ones?
    Breaching the quarantine laws (not just the lockdown rules which he kept on citing) and driving with potentially bad eyesight
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    We learnt several things from that press conference. The Key takeaway is that Johnson will pay any price and accept any behaviour if it means he hangs on to Cummings.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Brom said:

Which ones?
    Dangerous driving.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    It depends on whether people actually watched the event, and heard what was said live - or rely solely on media reports and soundbites of what was said, after the fact.
  • Options

You stayed in the party under Theresa "Go Home" "8.8% of the vote" May though.

He may be a cock end but he's not telling immigrants to Go Home.
  • Options
    The biggest problem will be the eyesight and the 30 mile drive.

Without that, I think he would have got away with it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    rpjs said:

Brom said:

Which ones?
    Dangerous driving.
    FPT:
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

Sandpit said:

Did no-one listen to what Cummings actually said?

He drove to the outskirts of the castle town, stopped briefly by a river and returned to his lodgings. Didn't go near the castle.
    It doesn’t matter where he drove. If he drive just one foot on the public highway with reason to think his vision was insufficient to safely drive then he committed an offence.
    That’s what I cannot believe. Even if you accept his version of lockdown/quarantine, which the Attorney General does but a judge may not, he’s just freely admitted to a crime live on air.

What a numpty.
    That was what I thought. Driving without care and attention.
    It’s actually a separate, specific offence under Section 96 of the RTA (1988) to drive with impaired vision.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/96

96 Driving with uncorrected defective eyesight.

(1)If a person drives a motor vehicle on a road while his eyesight is such (whether through a defect which cannot be or one which is not for the time being sufficiently corrected) that he cannot comply with any requirement as to eyesight prescribed under this Part of this Act for the purposes of tests of competence to drive, he is guilty of an offence.
  • Options

No, he's just making them not come here in the first place
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Brom said:

Which ones?
    Dangerous driving.
    Lol pretty sure that wasn't broken. Wasn't his wife in the car to take over if he felt unwell? The key is he hasn't broken any laws and the police haven't found any issue that he has.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    Brom said:

To take that grilling and not slip up shows why the government need him. He is a smooth operator. The press will try and find holes in his account but should they not be accountable if not for saying he made 2 trips to Durham and went to the Castle?

Well, if they have copies of the published government guidance at the time, together with the details of the subsequent updates to it, before and after the Guardian contacted Downing St. for comment, they might find several holes.

Looking at the government website, it appears that versions of the advice prior to the most recent update are not there.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Ultimately the press conference hasn't closed the conversation down, and has opened up a few (albeit mildly inconsequential) new avenues, such as the Barnard Castle blind date.

So we're largely where we were before. If more details emerge, Cummings and by extension Johnson are in trouble. If not, it may fizzle out.

Pretty much every Fleet Street paper will have put half a dozen reporters on the case. There are also plenty of members of the public with an incentive to snitch on Cummings - starting with anyone who works in a school or whose relatives do.

So, in the words of Zhou Enlai, it's too early to tell. If no further significant details have emerged by the weekend, Cummings will survive. But at the cost of having massively weakened Johnson's government.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Should a man now be responsible for the actions of his wife?

That's a question for Mrs Cummings (Ms Wakefield, as I believe she is known professionally).
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited May 2020

As a Labour voter, I am glad he is staying on.

Were you ever going to say anything else no matter whether he stayed or went?

Some of us actually made the case for a particular outcome. And were right :smile:
  • Options
    edited May 2020

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

As you said there's no election for years. Unless he's broken the law there's no reason for him to go if he's been reasonable under the law. And politically no sense for him to go when his services are needed with 7 months to go until the end of transition.
    But that's where my questioning comes in. Why are his services so indispensible? Why are they needed until the end of the transition? Cummings has always been in the limelight as Boris's chief adviser, and it has led on occasion to half cocked attacks for things which fall totally flat, and certainly Boris has the ability and capital to ride this out. But time and time again Cummings becomes the story, and is seemingly very happy for that to be the case, and there has to be a cumulative effect there. At some point surely he is causing more trouble than he is worth?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That's a question for Mrs Cummings (Ms Wakefield, as I believe she is known professionally).
    He was quite pointed when he said "I don't tell my wife what to do."
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Brom said:

Well, if they have copies of the published government guidance at the time, together with the details of the subsequent updates to it, before and after the Guardian contacted Downing St. for comment, they might find several holes.

Looking at the government website, it appears that versions of the advice prior to the most recent update are not there.
    Everything falls under the exceptional circumstances. He hasn't followed advice too closely but he hasn't broken any laws, I think that is what has upset his opponents the most - because he came close but no cigar to doing so
  • Options
  • Options

No, he's just making them not come here in the first place
    Preposterous bullshit.

Quarter of a million net came last year. I feel pretty confident in saying we'll still be getting net migration this year and next year and every single year of this government.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    MaxPB said:

Though for now that seems unlikely.

I agree that this is likely to be severely damaging to government credibility for the foreseeable future, and while I am no fan at all of the current government, that is not a good thing. They have a job to do, and this will hinder it.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Andrew said:

Went home to wife, who says she has coronavirus symptoms, then goes straight back to Downing Street without ever getting tested.

Nothing else matters above this - he could have infected half the government and senior health figures, and seriously impacted the state's response to the pandemic.

It said in the conference he got medical advice about returning to work so presume you are blaming the doctor.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    My MP is convinced ! I'm not.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

He was quite pointed when he said "I don't tell my wife what to do."
    Exactly.

Also, from memory, the Spectator article in question was rather humorous in nature, with their columnists and their partners opining on what life was like under lockdown. Mrs Gove (and her husband) was also involved in it.

Edit: found it! https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/spectator-writers-in-lockdown-by-the-people-stuck-with-them
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    I thought that it was telling that there was a few seconds of silence when asked what his message was to the voters of the NE of England.
    He found it difficult to find a connection with voters on a personal level.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

In my opinion MPs should have reserved judgement until heading his version of events. There will be a few U turns now that didn't need to happen
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

That he is an arse.

But Philip, it isn't about The Law. If he's broken the law he gets bandged up, simples. It's about undermining the huge efforts of the Government and all carers and support staff in trying to defeat the virus.

He is playing the 'reasonable excuse' card. Sorry, but someone in his position cannot be seen to be making excuses, reasonable or otherwise.

Was it reasonable though? I just ran it past Mrs PtP and asked her what she thought I would have done in his position on the day of the Durham trip. She got it in one. I would have told her to go to bed and stay there while I looked after the kid, tried to arrange a Test, and ring round my friends and relatives to see what help might be available in the event that I suddenly got the virus too. I would most certainly NOT have piled her and the kid in the car for a 260 mile drive to my parents so that I had a 17 year old niece available to look after the kid in the event I came down with the Virus straight away. That would have been very UNreasonable, very much more so than many of the decisions made by other parents in far more difficult and daunting circumstances.

OK, let's accept he just made a mistake, but for the sake of the Government, his Party and the war against this Virus, he should resign.
    Should he not go shopping? That's a reasonable excuse under the law?
    Should he not take his child to hospital? That's a reasonable excuse under the law.

Excuse isn't a negative word in the law. It has meaning. If he meets it for the law he should follow the law and do the right thing as he sees it. As should anyone.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,965
    Sandpit said:

She getting a couple of hours in the Rose Garden tomorrow is she?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    I thought Cummings initially came across quite well but started to unravel afterwards and the fact remains he broke the rules not once but twice . And the lack of contrition will really piss off most of the public .
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    I suspect the government will win this battle at the risk of losing the war. Here’s hoping it’s only the electoral one and not the pandemic one...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Brom said:

rpjs said:

Brom said:

Which ones?
    Dangerous driving.
    Lol pretty sure that wasn't broken. Wasn't his wife in the car to take over if he felt unwell? The key is he hasn't broken any laws and the police haven't found any issue that he has.
    You may be sure, but you are still wrong. If he had doubts about his eyesight he committed a crime in getting behind the wheel on a public road.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Key points:

1. Barnard Castle eye test is the laugh line and very dangerous. That will be repeated ad nauseum in the press and satires, and undermines credibility. I don't think anyone seriously believes it, however credulous they are on the rest.

2. Less of a laugh line, but a huge hole is that he says he couldn't arrange any childcare in London... but later admits he didn't even try.

3. The feigned lack of appreciation this would impact future public health messages will be latched onto by the medical and behavioural experts - clearly nonsense.

4. No empathy at all expressed for people who didn't even have the option of going to a cottage on the family farm, and indeed made immense sacrifices. The "what planet are they on" aspect of asking for sympathy for the gut-wrenching decision to go to your parent's spare cottage is rather strong.

5. For Johnson, there is a big question mark over his total failure to take any interest in it until it became a media story, despite knowing about it for weeks. This is reminiscent of Entwhistle's grim, brief tenure at the BBC - a total failure to take seriously or be proactive on a matter which was obviously going to be a problem until far too late.

6. Johnson has a further problem in the admission that he was, by Cummings's admission, running an office where people were off with Covid, or had been off and were back, without any thought at all to isolating ALL those people. Indicative of a complete failure to take this seriously early on. Contrast Merkel - one staff member ill and isolated herself and others immediately.

The Key Point:

The entire media and Opposition establishment played a game of chicken with one man.

He won :smile:
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    Sandpit said:

It depends on whether people actually watched the event, and heard what was said live - or rely solely on media reports and soundbites of what was said, after the fact.

That's the point because I want him to stay and regret this, but the soundbites are going to kill him....a resignation in 2 days saying he doesn't want to detract from the Govt's business...bla. bla...
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288

IshmaelZ said:

That he is an arse.

But Philip, it isn't about The Law. If he's broken the law he gets bandged up, simples. It's about undermining the huge efforts of the Government and all carers and support staff in trying to defeat the virus.

He is playing the 'reasonable excuse' card. Sorry, but someone in his position cannot be seen to be making excuses, reasonable or otherwise.

Was it reasonable though? I just ran it past Mrs PtP and asked her what she thought I would have done in his position on the day of the Durham trip. She got it in one. I would have told her to go to bed and stay there while I looked after the kid, tried to arrange a Test, and ring round my friends and relatives to see what help might be available in the event that I suddenly got the virus too. I would most certainly NOT have piled her and the kid in the car for a 260 mile drive to my parents so that I had a 17 year old niece available to look after the kid in the event I came down with the Virus straight away. That would have been very UNreasonable, very much more so than many of the decisions made by other parents in far more difficult and daunting circumstances.

OK, let's accept he just made a mistake, but for the sake of the Government, his Party and the war against this Virus, he should resign.
    Should he not take his child to hospital? That's a reasonable excuse under the law.

Excuse isn't a negative word in the law. It has meaning. If he meets it for the law he should follow the law and do the right thing as he sees it. As should anyone.
    Philip!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read what I wrote! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The LAW Philip! '...It isn't about The Law.'

Geesh. Hate using exclamation marks but you've driven me to it.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Brom said:

rpjs said:

Brom said:

Which ones?
    Dangerous driving.
    Precisely.

Law makers should not be law breakers and that extends to SPADs. If he'd broken the law he should go - no if's, no buts.

If he's not then this is just petty vindictive witch hunting.
  • Options
    It's probably a basic building, I haven't seen it. Think he wanted to dispel the media illusion it was some regal country pile like Chequers
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,462
    It's not that difficult to sit in a car for 4 hours as long as you go to the loo just beforehand and don't drink too much during the journey.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059
    I didn't buy any of it for a minute. If I was a Tory waverer I might. Compared to Boris and yesterday's train wreck, Dom did exceptionally well in presenting his case, less well with some of the more enlightened questioners. Pesto was better than usual, Gary Gibbon wounded him. The guy after Gibbon, I didn't catch his name went in for the kill, what a great guy! Most of the other questioning was mindless drivel, so a points win for Dom.

He did not throw Boris under the bus, but I will be surprised if it helped the great man either.
  • Options

Brom said:

rpjs said:

Brom said:

Which ones?
    Dangerous driving.
    Precisely.

Law makers should not be law breakers and that extends to SPADs. If he'd broken the law he should go - no if's, no buts.

He admitted to breaking the law.

Driving without care and attention.
  • Options
    Brom said:

It's probably a basic building, I haven't seen it. Think he wanted to dispel the media illusion it was some regal country pile like Chequers
    Yes but the problem is he's downplaying the fact he had a second home to go to in the first place. How many have that, I wish I could do that.
  • Options

I suspect the government will win this battle at the risk of losing the war. Here’s hoping it’s only the electoral one and not the pandemic one...

I fear it will be the pandemic one they will lose.

I expect we'll have another wave (likely this year) and we will not see the same level of compliance with the lockdown rules.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,965
    Brom said:

Pulpstar said:

In my opinion MPs should have reserved judgement until heading his version of events. There will be a few U turns now that didn't need to happen
    Yeah, they certainly shouldn't have based their responses on the blustering cloud of guff discharged by their PM and leader of their party, definitely should have waited for the definitive word from the boss.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Cummings' approach wasn't what I was expecting. He neither went for an aggressive "I'm innocent", "I can do whatever I want", nor sympathy-seeking "I made a mistake" contrition. He, presumably quite deliberately, went for the "baffle with bullshit" approach.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It's not that difficult to sit in a car for 4 hours as long as you go to the loo just beforehand and don't drink too much during the journey.

Have you ever driven in a car with a young child?
  • Options
    OldBasingOldBasing Posts: 168
    Nothing in the press conference answered the Daily Mail question, “What planet are they on?” That remains the tricky political problem (or indeed mess) the Government remains in.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    edited May 2020
    Verdict? A farrago of confected nonsense put together only once enough time had passed to know what were the hard bits of evidence his case had to meet - hence the admission he had been to Barnard Castle.

His description carefully included all the firm sightings, and placed them in as innocent a context as possible. It ended up all too smooth to be anything other than a post hoc rationalisation. It included as little as possible which might one day be contradicted by new evidence. So a reasonable effort except for one thing.

The Barnard Castle thing on Easter Day had always stood out as a problem, and the failure to admit or account for it earlier suggests a hope, until yesterday (PM evaded it) or today, that it could be denied.

His explanation was plainly fanciful. Really apart from complex and true explanations (which of the lawful sort were clearly not available) he would have done better to use 'exercise'. Actually I think he was on a trip out, unlike the millions denied a trip to church on Easter Day.

His weakness here undermines his credibility generally. So, ultimately a fail.

• Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    edited May 2020
    Here is the latest result.

5.00 Westminster Gardens

1st Barnard Castle 4/6 favourite. (Backed in from Even money).

Fitness in question, so needed the run. Produced just before turning for home. Never in danger.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    Just as a question: @Philip_Thompson - as the father of a young lad yourself, would you, if there was reason to suspect your eyesight might be impaired, test it by going for a 30-mile drive with your son in the car? Rather than, say, wait a few more days and check in over Zoom.

I really wouldn’t, myself, but I’m wondering if I’m overcautious
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    IshmaelZ said:

Survivable as a one off, but it isn't a one off. It isn't distracting attention from the government's solid achievements in fighting the vaccine but from its staggering incompetence over ppe, testing, apps, care homes, quarantine and everything else.

VI and I, like James.

I hadn't realised the government was fighting the vaccine
  • Options

Key points:

1. Barnard Castle eye test is the laugh line and very dangerous. That will be repeated ad nauseum in the press and satires, and undermines credibility. I don't think anyone seriously believes it, however credulous they are on the rest.

2. Less of a laugh line, but a huge hole is that he says he couldn't arrange any childcare in London... but later admits he didn't even try.

3. The feigned lack of appreciation this would impact future public health messages will be latched onto by the medical and behavioural experts - clearly nonsense.

4. No empathy at all expressed for people who didn't even have the option of going to a cottage on the family farm, and indeed made immense sacrifices. The "what planet are they on" aspect of asking for sympathy for the gut-wrenching decision to go to your parent's spare cottage is rather strong.

5. For Johnson, there is a big question mark over his total failure to take any interest in it until it became a media story, despite knowing about it for weeks. This is reminiscent of Entwhistle's grim, brief tenure at the BBC - a total failure to take seriously or be proactive on a matter which was obviously going to be a problem until far too late.

6. Johnson has a further problem in the admission that he was, by Cummings's admission, running an office where people were off with Covid, or had been off and were back, without any thought at all to isolating ALL those people. Indicative of a complete failure to take this seriously early on. Contrast Merkel - one staff member ill and isolated herself and others immediately.

On 5 don't you think Johnson had better things to worry about?

Should he have spent his time worrying about managing the movements of a SPAD, or the availability of PPE and Testing?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    Speaking for myself I tend to go to the toilet before I set out on long journeys.

Clearly others follow a different practice and enjoy using the facilities at service stations.

Each to their own I suppose.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,941

Key points:

1 sure. Laugh at Boris not with him.

4 is more wounding. On 2 successive nights the top 2 in government have failed to connect on any human level with an anxious population.

Their utter black hole of compassion for the feelings of others was laid bare.

The rest is legalistic detail.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Brom said:

rpjs said:

Brom said:

Which ones?
    Dangerous driving.
    Precisely.

No he didnt. Sounds like he managed the drive fine. surely there are better attack lines than this or his critics are getting desperate. Most of the country will have driven with hangovers and got from A to B. If the Police don't think he's broken the law then chances are he hasn't
  • Options
    When do we think we'll get some opinion polls? I cannot remember a more anticipated set of polls outside a GE since autumn 2007.

Working for a pollster at a time like this must be a bit like working on the Exit Poll.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Andrew said:

Nothing else matters above this - he could have infected half the government and senior health figures, and seriously impacted the state's response to the pandemic.

He pretty much said that happened anyway, hence why it was so important he got back to work ASAP, because most of the government was ill or isolating.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

When do we think we'll get some opinion polls? I cannot remember a more anticipated set of polls outside a GE since autumn 2007.

Working for a pollster at a time like this must be a bit like working on the Exit Poll.

I'm expecting at least two by the weekend.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,177

Flanner said:

Marks out of 10 for Dominic Cummings' performance this afternoon:

Probably a grudging 7/10

I'd give him 2

a. By his own admission he walked off his job, without consulting - or even informing - his boss, the acting PM or the Cabinet Secretary. He's clearly incapable of doing ANY real job in a complex organisation.
    b. At no stage did he admit remorse.

Whether that makes Johnson fire him is debatable. But both Johnson and Cummings are even less capable of doing their jobs than I'd have expected. Both have to go.

And will within the next year
    A few weeks ago, Boris overcame death itself.

I think he can handle this trumped-up bullshit :smile:
    I know that you are BluestBlue diehard loyalist - I respect that. But in politics a little self-awareness is helpful. Your voters - your key voters especially in red wall seats - are absolutely fucking furious. I don't know how old you are or how long you've been interested in politics but there are plenty of examples of governments shitting the bed and never recovering.

You should be concerned that you consider this to be "trumped-up bullshit" when so many Tory voters do not. Why not go talk to a Tory MP about their email inbox. Or read the Daily Mail. Then tell us how it'll all be forgotten because its trumped up bullshit

• Options

Brom said:

Yes but the problem is he's downplaying the fact he had a second home to go to in the first place. How many have that, I wish I could do that.
    He doesn't "have a second home", his parents and sister live on a farm and had a empty lodging he could use.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

That he is an arse.

Philip!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read what I wrote! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The LAW Philip! '...It isn't about The Law.'

Geesh. Hate using exclamation marks but you've driven me to it.
    I'm sorry but it's entirely about the law. If the law is set as one thing for people but then another thing is done by those who set the law then that is inexcusable. Law makers should not be law breakers. It can't be one rule for them and one rule for others.

But if the laws not been broken then what's the issue? It's the same laws for absolutely everyone.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Brom said:

He doesn't "have a second home", his parents and sister live on a farm and had a empty lodging he could use.
    How many people have a lodging they can go and stay in? Doesn't exactly scream "anti-elite" does it?
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

rpjs said:

Brom said:

Which ones?
    Dangerous driving.
    Precisely.

No he didnt. Sounds like he managed the drive fine. surely there are better attack lines than this or his critics are getting desperate. Most of the country will have driven with hangovers and got from A to B. If the Police don't think he's broken the law then chances are he hasn't
    The Police didn't know about his driving to test his eyesight. That is against the law.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    From what I hear on the car radio it seems I was pretty right and that Cummings (and wife) panicked and came to a deranged decision.

I'm pretty sure he would like to turn the calendar back and do something else but doesn't want to admit it.

An interesting question is has he learnt from the experience - people capable of doing so can be more valuable, people who can't aren't.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    It's possible this is the truth and he's stubbornly refused (until now) to reveal it on the basis that he couldn't see why he should - and that he holds the media in contempt. It's also possible it's a carefully contrived story to backfit what he did that he's worked on over the past 48 hours.

Personally, I think it's about 50:50 and probably the former is more likely than the latter. But he should still step down.

Almost everyone else in the same position wouldn't have travelled and been bollocked by the rozzers if they did.
  • Options

Brom said:

Brom said:

rpjs said:

Brom said:

Which ones?
    Dangerous driving.
    Precisely.

The Police didn't know about his driving to test his eyesight. That is against the law.
    I keenly await the plod knocking at his door...
  • Options
    He's kept the telegraph readers on his side
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

rpjs said:

Brom said:

Which ones?
    Dangerous driving.
    Precisely.

I keenly await the plod knocking at his door...
    Well they have evidence now, he admitted it on TV. With his son in the car too.
  • Options

Speaking for myself I tend to go to the toilet before I set out on long journeys.

Clearly others follow a different practice and enjoy using the facilities at service stations.

Each to their own I suppose.

They are mingin', nearly as bad as train toilets.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I’m just off the phone to my mum. Her unprompted verdict? “Smarmy”. “Why did they all need to get out of the car if they were going for a drive?” “I feel sorry for all those people who stuck to the rules.” “He’s got to go.” “It makes Boris Johnson look worse and worse”.
  • Options

Just as a question: @Philip_Thompson - as the father of a young lad yourself, would you, if there was reason to suspect your eyesight might be impaired, test it by going for a 30-mile drive with your son in the car? Rather than, say, wait a few more days and check in over Zoom.

I really wouldn’t, myself, but I’m wondering if I’m overcautious

If I felt my vision currently impaired I wouldn't get behind the wheel.

If I felt safe to drive but was concerned after a serious illness I'd certainly consider a short drive first before setting off on a cross country drive.
This discussion has been closed.