Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s been definite damage to Boris Johnson in the polls fol

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited May 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s been definite damage to Boris Johnson in the polls following Dominic’s Cummings and Goings

New in the @SavantaGroup / @SavantaComRes #covid19 daily tracker:– Boris Johnson’s approval rating is now at -1%. It was at +19% four days ago.– Overall government approval is now at -2%, dropping 16 points in a day.More: https://t.co/5AzgxudsUl

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Toast.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Second toast.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    UK supercar maker and Formula 1 team McLaren plans to cut more than a quarter of its workforce after the coronavirus crisis hit sales and advertising revenue.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    fpt
    HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:
    In my view now yes
    Unfair on him, do you think?
    No, once the adviser becomes the story he is gone
    Which means Boris must go. You have played the Cummings saga with integrity, but you can also see that that is the natural consequence of him going (and yes, when cabinet ministers - plural - are on the air defending him, it's got to be all over).

Whatever plan Dom has (as noted by @Monkeys, he certainly has some kind of plan), it's clear that Boris has none. Hence what would drive government? A sub-par PM who loses his strategic direction. Bad and bad.

Where does that leave government, and the country?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

UK supercar maker and Formula 1 team McLaren plans to cut more than a quarter of its workforce after the coronavirus crisis hit sales and advertising revenue.

I'm told they were in the brown stuff anyway.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Queue another thousand posts of Boris is so weak - who won't he give us the scalp we want?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    Eunuchs and codpieces plus a reference to that Sion Simon piece.

Might be one of my best threads.
  • Options
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Ftp. Whilst my original comment 're NE was flippant...
    We are running at 1400 new confirmed cases yesterday. And everyone seems to have gone back to normal up here.
    Confirmed new cases on March 23 lockdown day...927.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    TOPPING said:

fpt

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:
    In my view now yes
    Which means Boris must go. You have played the Cummings saga with integrity, but you can also see that that is the natural consequence of him going (and yes, when cabinet ministers - plural - are on the air defending him, it's got to be all over).

Whatever plan Dom has (as noted by @Monkeys, he certainly has some kind of plan), it's clear that Boris has none. Hence what would drive government? A sub-par PM who loses his strategic direction. Bad and bad.

A Priti Patel-led ERG-ite administration negotiating Brexit?
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    IshmaelZ said:
    Shocking misuse of an apostrophe as well.

The Prime Ministers’ decision.

!!!!!!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    edited May 2020

No-one is buying fancy cars, and aren't going to be for a while yet. Meanwhile the F1 teams are in the process of agreeing budget caps which are going to effectively limit the number of people working in the sport.

McLaren have been a success story over the past decade though, their automotive division making more than 5,000 supercars last year, and the product being reviewed favourably against their Italian competitors.

Good luck to those affected, there's going to be a lot more announcements of redundancies coming down the line from many business sectors hit by the shutdown.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131

Queue another thousand posts of Boris is so weak - who won't he give us the scalp we want?

I think its "cue" but "queue" works too, actually.
  • Options
    Because Johnson just threw away a majority at an actual election with actual seats going to the opposition?

Oh wait.
  • Options
    Perhaps the three of them should make a comeback.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577

IshmaelZ said:
    Shocking misuse of an apostrophe as well.

The Prime Ministers’ decision.

!!!!!!
    Unless there's more than one Prime Minister.....
  • Options
    edited May 2020

TOPPING said:

fpt

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:
    In my view now yes

A Priti Patel-led ERG-ite administration negotiating Brexit?
    It may well be, although at least we would know where we stood (cf at least the trains ran on time...).
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Indeed. Neither Cummings nor Boris is going anywhere - and the louder the whining, the more firmly they're going to stand their ground, and the more immovable they'll be once this silliness dies down.
  • Options
    I cut that bit out, as well as Dom being the most influential adviser to this country’s ruler since Cardinal Wolsey.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,114

Would rather Cummings stayed TBF.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213

Eunuchs and codpieces plus a reference to that Sion Simon piece.

Might be one of my best threads.

"Soon there will be a TSE Thread in which he increases his pomposity!" :lol:
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Then we are agreed.

If Boris lets Cummings go (unless something new comes out) it will be out of weakness not strength.
  • Options

Indeed. Neither Cummings nor Boris is going anywhere - and the louder the whining, the more firmly they're going to stand their ground, and the more immovable they'll be once this silliness dies down.
    "Put up or shut up!"
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    dixiedean said:

Ftp. Whilst my original comment 're NE was flippant...
    We are running at 1400 new confirmed cases yesterday. And everyone seems to have gone back to normal up here.
    Confirmed new cases on March 23 lockdown day...927.

Its not just the number that is important, its the proportion and number of tests. Before the lockdown the testing was very limited. Now we are testing 70,000 or more people a day, open to everyone with symptoms, and only finding 1000-2000 new cases. In addition, many of these cases may well be mild (i.e. not just those admitted to hospital, but people with symptoms in the community).
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    Can we not talk about Brexit again? You know, just for a bit of variety.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

fpt

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:
    In my view now yes

Frightened to death when they think of tbe possible replacements. Patel? Raab? Williamson?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Sunak for PM!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

If I was labour, I would be rather pleased that Cummings was still in place.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Pulpstar said:

If Dom was advising about Dom he'd have been out Friday.

Only if Dom had been demoted to some non-essential worker, like thingummyjigs, those Cabinet Ministers.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    DavidL said:

Cummings chat is deeply boring.

Innovative ideas for getting out of this horrible lockdown would be much more interesting.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:
    In my view now yes

Frightened to death when they think of tbe possible replacements. Patel? Raab? Williamson?
    Yes, yes, and lord help us.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Sandpit said:

No-one is buying fancy cars, and aren't going to be for a while yet. Meanwhile the F1 teams are in the process of agreeing budget caps which are going to effectively limit the number of people working in the sport.

McLaren have been a success story over the past decade though, their automotive division making more than 5,000 supercars last year, and the product being reviewed favourably against their Italian competitors.

Good luck to those affected, there's going to be a lot more announcements of redundancies coming down the line from many business sectors hit by the shutdown.
    The thing about McLaren is: brilliant driving experience but miserable ownership experience. You only have to look at how many sub 1,000 mile used cars they have in their dealer network to see something isn't right.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779

DougSeal said:

Then we are agreed.

If Boris lets Cummings go (unless something new comes out) it will be out of weakness not strength.
    He will let him go then!
  • Options
    DougSeal said:
    People on this site obviously follow the minutiae of politics closely. I can put my hand on my heart and say that not only did I not know that he was Under Secretary of State for Scotland, but I didn't know he was a Conservative MP and couldn't distinguish him from Adam if Adam turned up holding an apple.

But apart from that, he's a really big fish :wink:
  • Options

DavidL said:

Innovative ideas for getting out of this horrible lockdown would be much more interesting.
    Someone should come up with a cumming plan.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398

Because Johnson just threw away a majority at an actual election with actual seats going to the opposition?

Oh wait.
    Possibly. Of course, we'll have to wait a while for the election to find out.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Someone should come up with a cumming plan.
    That was Professor Ferguson.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,866
    The effort to rewrite history goes on...

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1265250693444706305
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

DougSeal said:
    People on this site obviously follow the minutiae of politics closely. I can put my hand on my heart and say that not only did I not know that he was Under Secretary of State for Scotland, but I didn't know he was a Conservative MP and couldn't distinguish him from Adam if Adam turned up holding an apple.

Calling one of your own ministers a NOBODY calls into doubt why he was appointed by the PM in the first place.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

fpt

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:
    In my view now yes

Survival stakes mean thinking beyond that list!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

DavidL said:

Easy one this, Google/Apple track and trace.

There.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

He's more sensible than I gave him credit for. He's sitting on a tiny majority in Angus Robertson's old seat in Moray. Whilst he personally is (he hopes) over 4 years from a GE, there are Scottish Parliamentary elections in under 12 months.

I see even Jackson Carlaw has managed to call for Cummings to go now, so the Scottish Tories must have been in open revolt.
  • Options
    For the proverbially practical and hard-headed Cons MPs the simple fact is that Dom is an electoral weakness. Either now or in a few years time. To think he is not and that everyone will have forgotten is to misunderestimate Lab's attack lines.

Them and us.

It was ever thus.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,733
    DougSeal said:
    "Dear Prime Minister. The furore over Dominic Cummings has made me realise how utterly unimportant and insignificant I am and always will be. I might as well resign now as it won't make any difference either way. Yours ever..."
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

The thing about McLaren is: brilliant driving experience but miserable ownership experience. You only have to look at how many sub 1,000 mile used cars they have in their dealer network to see something isn't right.
    There have certainly been loads of complaints about dealership service, and of treating engines, gearboxes and hydraulic suspensions as sealed units in the earlier cars, leading to some whopping bills.

That said, a 2 year old 720S went for £150k at auction a couple of weeks ago, which is a huge bargain for the new buyer if not the original owner.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Let's hope you are correct.

There is loads more bumbling ineptitude to come from Boris over the next few years. However I fear you are wrong, a lot of Tory MPs are not happy with things as they are, how long do you think they are going to sit back and watch Starmer hand him his arse on a plate every week at PMQ's?

Interestingly a lot of the unrest is coming from the new "red wall" Tory MPs because I suspect that the "one rule for the elite, one for the plebs" line is playing particularly badly in those areas.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

Cummings is going, at this rate over 50% of Tory MPs will have demanded his resignation by the end of the week, maybe even the end of the day
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

For the proverbially practical and hard-headed Cons MPs the simple fact is that Dom is an electoral weakness. Either now or in a few years time. To think he is not and that everyone will have forgotten is to misunderestimate Lab's attack lines.

Them and us.

It was ever thus.

How much of an electoral weakness was he the last two times he ran an electoral strategy and the entire weight of establishment politics and media said he had no chance?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Them and us.

It was ever thus.

If every single time there was a controversial person you let them go you're just inviting further controversy, further manufactured outrage and further scalp hunting.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,061
    HYUFD said:

Cummings is going, at this rate over 50% of Tory MPs will have demanded his resignation by the end of the week, maybe even the end of the day
    Boris will look like a useless dick if Cummings does go.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

DougSeal said:

Calling one of your own ministers a NOBODY calls into doubt why he was appointed by the PM in the first place.
    He was a PUSS rather than a minister, they're the guys who do extra work for a minister but don't get a government salary for it.

If I see cabinet ministers resigning, I'll believe Cummings is actually in danger, at the moment I think the over-reaction of the Lobby mob acts in his favour.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,425

DougSeal said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52806557
  • Options

DougSeal said:

So your man made "Mr. Nobody" a minister? And I'm sure our resident Scots posters will have views as to why he’d appoint such a "Mr. Nobody" as Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Scotland.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

There.
    If the government has any sense someone is already working on that behind the scenes. No reason the app can't be patched to run on a new backend is there?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379
    One minor positive for the government - there's another one out there even worse at propaganda:

https://twitter.com/ayhcheung/status/1265271635738755074
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

What percentage are we at now, and what measures are they going to take to enforce their will? Moaning on Twitter can just as easily be interpreted as saving face as a decision to challenge Boris directly.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

DougSeal said:

He's more sensible than I gave him credit for. He's sitting on a tiny majority in Angus Robertson's old seat in Moray. Whilst he personally is (he hopes) over 4 years from a GE, there are Scottish Parliamentary elections in under 12 months.

I see even Jackson Carlaw has managed to call for Cummings to go now, so the Scottish Tories must have been in open revolt.
    He called for him to consider his position. Carlaw can't even be firmer than that.

Big Dom considered his position already and likes it.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Them and us.

It was ever thus.

How much of an electoral weakness was he the last two times he ran an electoral strategy and the entire weight of establishment politics and media said he had no chance?
    He was an eminence grise previously. He has now become the story and hitched to BJ.

Them and us.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,248
    nichomar said:

DougSeal said:

It also reminds Conservative MPs and ministers that Cummings is openly contemptuous of the whole political class.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

One minor positive for the government - there's another one out there even worse at propaganda:

There were protests yesterday. I think the person writing the tweet has lost track of what day it is (haven't we all?)
  • Options
    nichomar said:

DougSeal said:

Because he was in a nobody role? He wasn't a Secretary of State.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Will... if... ?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

HYUFD said:

What percentage are we at now, and what measures are they going to take to enforce their will? Moaning on Twitter can just as easily be interpreted as saving face as a decision to challenge Boris directly.
    If 50% of Tory voters and 50% of Tory MPs and a majority of voters think you are toast, you are toast
  • Options

HYUFD said:

As opposed to now, where he looks like a very stable genius?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If 50% of Tory voters and 50% of Tory MPs and a majority of voters think you are toast, you are toast
    Yes, the only question for me: will he resign or will he have to be sacked?

Which will look worse for Johnson?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. B, might it be Wednesday due to the timezone difference?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Sandpit said:

nichomar said:

DougSeal said:

He was a PUSS rather than a minister, they're the guys who do extra work for a minister but don't get a government salary for it.

If I see cabinet ministers resigning, I'll believe Cummings is actually in danger, at the moment I think the over-reaction of the Lobby mob acts in his favour.
    I thought USS got extra pay and rations, albeit small, but I could be wrong.
  • Options

nichomar said:

DougSeal said:

It also reminds Conservative MPs and ministers that Cummings is openly contemptuous of the whole political class.
    It's one of his most endearing traits.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

At what rate? So far very few have and those who have are a veritable "Who's That?" list of MPs.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes, Boris now can't sack him, it will show up his own weaknesses and willingness to bend to the mob.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And once the flash in the pan dies down, how many will it be? Boris would be utterly stupid to show weakness at this point - whatever damage is going to be done has already been done.
  • Options

nichomar said:

DougSeal said:

Because he was in a nobody role? He wasn't a Secretary of State.
    Yeah, because it makes everyone look classy, and could have no ill effects in Scotland, none at all.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

There.
    If the government has any sense someone is already working on that behind the scenes. No reason the app can't be patched to run on a new backend is there?
    Privacy requirements of the Google / Apple solution - you are fundamentally changing how it works so you can't patch it.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Them and us.

It was ever thus.

If every single time there was a controversial person you let them go you're just inviting further controversy, further manufactured outrage and further scalp hunting.
    Yes of course you can't let the press hound you main man out of office because where does it end?

Unless that main man has become a vote-losing liability who rather than occupy a weird blue-sky thinking space in your government, now serves only to give your opponents ammunition against you.

Them and us.

Boris could reclaim the "we can't have people lording over us all" mantle, especially as he is a survivor and managed to follow the rules. He would be golden.

That said, what would happen to government policy without its policy-maker? Gawd knows but that's a different issue.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    DavidL said:

Here you go (Thread):

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1265276233694101510?s=20
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    Sandpit said:

nichomar said:

DougSeal said:

You’re getting mixed up with PPSs who are the unpaid bag carriers. Parliamentary Under Secretaries of State are junior Ministers and get a salary.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And once the flash in the pan dies down, how many will it be? Boris would be utterly stupid to show weakness at this point - whatever damage is going to be done has already been done.
    With or without a second wave, further damage will be incurred from the loss of trust.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229

TOPPING said:

Them and us.

It was ever thus.

You're getting more and more ridiculous. This is about the most powerful political advisor demonstrating blatant contempt for

"Stay home. Protect the NHS. Save lives"

(then getting lost in a labyrinth of laughable excuses for it just makes it more politically damaging for Johnson).

It's not about sacking every "controversial person" because they are controversial.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300

HYUFD said:

I appreciate this post may not age well (and I only half apologise for using the language of the current vogue), but I agree he's OK for now as long as the coverage curve has peaked.

News of a ministerial resignation or doctored blogposts aren't great, but they probably only prolong the peak rather than ramp it up.

I'm not sure I agree that it's stubbornness in the face of whining, though. But having invested this much political capital in hanging on to him, Cummings and Johnson are IMO not about to shrug their shoulders and announce they can't be arsed any more so Dom's going to spend more time with behavioural scientists.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

So your man made "Mr. Nobody" a minister? And I'm sure our resident Scots posters will have views as to why he’d appoint such a "Mr. Nobody" as Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Scotland.
    I am not a resident Scot but that comment about Douglas Ross, who is my Scots family's mp, and a very good one at that, is crass and ignorant nonsense.

It has no place in my conservative party and is most regrettable
  • Options

DavidL said:

Here you go (Thread):

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1265276233694101510?s=20
    That's very good news which will displease only hardcore remainers.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,061
    Scott_xP said:

The effort to rewrite history goes on...

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1265250693444706305

A case of who reported to whom. Boris is a poor man manager if he was clueless as to Dom's whereabouts for those days before Boris became dangerously ill.

In my days in Senior Management, you were obliged to give details of your holiday hotel phone number so you could be contacted abroad, in the years before mobile phones became widely used. The barstewards weren't afraid to call you either.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

There were protests yesterday. I think the person writing the tweet has lost track of what day it is (haven't we all?)
    A generous interpretation.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Them and us.

It was ever thus.

Yes of course you can't let the press hound you main man out of office because where does it end?

Unless that main man has become a vote-losing liability who rather than occupy a weird blue-sky thinking space in your government, now serves only to give your opponents ammunition against you.

Them and us.

Boris could reclaim the "we can't have people lording over us all" mantle, especially as he is a survivor and managed to follow the rules. He would be golden.

That said, what would happen to government policy without its policy-maker? Gawd knows but that's a different issue.
    Yes, of course we should torpedo government policy-making to avoid some bad headlines. What a ridiculous set of priorities that would be.

Does no one have the slightest particle of nerve? Just grow a spine and tough it out - no one's going to bite us.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Them and us.

It was ever thus.

Them and us.

Who cares about mantles? It's four years from the election and the election will be won or lost by being a good government or not and messaging next time etc

Getting rid of a key person involved with policies will make governance worse not better and that is the issue not a different issue.

The government needs to get on with the job. Not pander to witch hunts.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

What can I say, I'm a generous guy.
  • Options

Mr. B, might it be Wednesday due to the timezone difference?

No.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

nichomar said:

DougSeal said:

I thought USS got extra pay and rations, albeit small, but I could be wrong.
    Wiki recons they are mostly unpaid, as there's more of them then the number of salaries allowed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_Under-Secretary_of_State

Also this great quote:
    "Of his tenure as an under-secretary in Macmillan's 1957–1963 Conservative government from the Lords, the Duke of Devonshire noted "No one who hasn't been a Parliamentary Under Secretary of State has any conception of how unimportant a Parliamentary Under Secretary of State is".[7]"
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

TOPPING said:

Them and us.

It was ever thus.

But he isn't running an electoral strategy.
    He's running an administration in a public health crisis.
    The two are entirely different.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If Boris sacks Cummings now, he may as well resign himself at the same time.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Them and us.

It was ever thus.

Them and us.

Who cares about mantles? It's four years from the election and the election will be won or lost by being a good government or not and messaging next time etc

Getting rid of a key person involved with policies will make governance worse not better and that is the issue not a different issue.

The government needs to get on with the job. Not pander to witch hunts.
    Lost cause now. I`ll be surprised if he makes it to the end of the week.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:

RobD said:

Nigelb said:

What can I say, I'm a generous guy.
    Very much to your credit.
  • Options
    If those MPs all go 'properly' public (no, moaning on Twitter doesn't count), they'll be engaging their own Prime Minister in a political fight to the death in the middle of a pandemic.

That would not be a wise decision on their part.
This discussion has been closed.