Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New polling on Cummings finds 62% still saying it’s important

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited May 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New polling on Cummings finds 62% still saying it’s important

Inevitably when a development is so party political you would expect polling responses to follow a partisan divide. The above table from tonight’s YouGov suggests that is still the case with Cummings and the lockdown but not quite at the scale you would expect.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,360
    First.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    The media needs to get a grip and focus on the important stories.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Maybe the government should get a grip and concentrate on the important issues, third
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Meg Hillier extremely rude to the PM today, it's to his credit he never reacts to such hostility.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    Hopefully tonight’s headline isn’t going to be politics or disease, but rather one of humanity’s great achievements:

T minus 48 minutes and counting,,.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rjb9FdVdX5I
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,882
    Penny Mordaunt and The Saj are preparing for a the post-BoZo World, which might not be all that far away.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,182
    EPG said:

The media needs to get a grip and focus on the important stories.

Like the trace system that has been rushed out when not ready. Or maybe the bringing forward of shops opening. Or perhaps the news that we can meet in gardens. Or possibly the pubs opening two weeks early?

Those stories?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    Sandpit said:

Hopefully tonight’s headline isn’t going to be politics or disease, but rather one of humanity’s great achievements:

T minus 48 minutes and counting,,.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rjb9FdVdX5I

Due to pass across the UK in the southern sky, west to east, at 9.50pm, should easily be visible with the naked eye.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    They are going to go/nogo due to weather at t-45.00
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,939
    Ye gods, more on the over-promoted twerp.

When will we be free of this hell?
  • Options
    Whoever buckles first loses this round but also unlocks rapid fire on their adversaries’ political arsenal. If Dominic Cummings stays, the reconstruction of the Conservative party and of government in the UK will become infinitely harder to obstruct. If he goes, it will represent an ideological defeat for the Cummings-Johnson project and leave Boris Johnson’s government adrift. The Prime Minister is putting his premiership on the line to save Dominic Cummings because he believes that, without him, he won’t have a premiership anyway.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/Is-this-the-week-the-magic-died-for-Boris-Johnson
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    The test and trace system looks like a complete disaster.
  • Options
    I guess that's one way to take the heat off Dom. Completely fuck something else up the same way they did for testing, PPE and quarantine.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,263
    Guido after the mirror

IPSO Receives Multiple Complaints https://order-order.com/2020/05/27/ipso-receives-multiple-complaints/ via @guidofawkes
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

I agree. Let's focus on pub reopening! 👍
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

According to my analysis, more quickly for London than elsewhere :) !
  • Options
    THey've pulled back the access arm so it's Go for propellant load! So it looks like a weather go. getting excited. I am so sad.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Scott_xP said:

Penny Mordaunt and The Saj are preparing for a the post-BoZo World, which might not be all that far away.

steady boys and girls

Let him own the economic tsunami ahead.

February next year?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,941
    Point of order. If you're in Cornwall or Devon, you need to look North, not South.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,410
    Scott_xP said:

Can't remember when ministers started being openly disloyal in the Major years. Was it before the 1997 campaign started?
  • Options
    what's in a name? The COO of Spacex is Gwynne Shotwell
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I guess that's one way to take the heat off Dom. Completely fuck something else up the same way they did for testing, PPE and quarantine.

Boris promised "World beating" at the last PMQs. Astonishing claim to make I thought at the time given how good we know the South Korean system is.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,939
    MaxPB said:

😂
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Point of order. If you're in Cornwall or Devon, you need to look North, not South.
    In Devon mostly up
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Looks like Woolacombe bay is the place to be to watch the launch according to that map.

Edit: It's going to be scrubbed due to weather sure as Boris can't run the country without Dom.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    If only Dom had travelled into space and not popped down the road to Durham no one would have made a fuss.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    Just thinking....

How many people will have to come up with a reason of Dom-like far-fetchedness to explain to their partner why they've been instructed to self-isolate?
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Tim_B said:

what's in a name? The COO of Spacex is Gwynne Shotwell

There was a US politics commentator on the TV earlier called Krystal Ball. Does she know the election result already, or failing that how about next week’s lottery numbers?

Propellant loading now, looks like a go. T-30’
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Whoever buckles first loses this round but also unlocks rapid fire on their adversaries’ political arsenal. If Dominic Cummings stays, the reconstruction of the Conservative party and of government in the UK will become infinitely harder to obstruct. If he goes, it will represent an ideological defeat for the Cummings-Johnson project and leave Boris Johnson’s government adrift. The Prime Minister is putting his premiership on the line to save Dominic Cummings because he believes that, without him, he won’t have a premiership anyway.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/Is-this-the-week-the-magic-died-for-Boris-Johnson

Boris is the monkey, Cummings is the organ grinder.

I can't imagine Johnson ever imagined being PM was going to result in him being Dom's sub. Humiliating.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,708
    Scott_xP said:
    If thats the case then big supermarkets will have to close. By the law of averages shop workers will come near some infected people every day.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Those space suits look absolutely pants. They look like costumes, and pretty bad ones at that.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    If thats the case then big supermarkets will have to close. By the law of averages shop workers will come near some infected people every day.
    That's more a reflection of how endemic the virus is than any particular problem with track and test.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Boris promised "World beating" at the last PMQs. Astonishing claim to make I thought at the time given how good we know the South Korean system is.
    To be world beating at this you need high tech infrastructure, high levels of funding and an authoritarian regime. UAE and Singapore should be the winners.

No reason at all to expect the UK to be in the top 10.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

It seemed like such an idiotic claim to make. We're building something from scratch when we really just need to copy some other system that already works. This is another failure for Matt Hancock. That makes quite a few now. The sad part is that Boris doesn't have the political capital to sack him any more. Not least because he'll struggle to recruit the correct replacement (Hunt) without giving up Dom.
  • Options
    Next available launch window is in 71 hours (Saturday evening) if they miss this opportunity due to the weather.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    rcs1000 said:

Straight up for me.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

To be world beating at this you need high tech infrastructure, high levels of funding and an authoritarian regime. UAE and Singapore should be the winners.

Qatar have messed it up: they went a little too Chinese on the privacy invasion.
    https://www.thenational.ae/world/mena/qatar-virus-tracing-app-stirs-rare-privacy-backlash-1.1024415
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,410
  • Options
    Legendary flight director Gene Krantz -who was at Mission Control for every manned space flight launch except this one - on Fox News now
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

I can't imagine Johnson ever imagined being PM was going to result in him being Dom's sub. Humiliating.
    I like the Orville and Harris comparison myself. Partly as I am sure our PM would loathe to end up being remembered for resembling Orville instead of Churchill.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    This launch, when it happens, will be an achievement for sure.

But I would place a contribution like Jenner's smallpox vaccine well higher.

Let us wish success to those boffins currently trying to find a coronavirus vaccine.
  • Options
    Johnson knows his premiership is slowly falling apart
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,134
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

It seemed like such an idiotic claim to make. We're building something from scratch when we really just need to copy some other system that already works. This is another failure for Matt Hancock. That makes quite a few now. The sad part is that Boris doesn't have the political capital to sack him any more. Not least because he'll struggle to recruit the correct replacement (Hunt) without giving up Dom.
    I suspect your idea of world beating works on different criteria to Boris Johnson's shortcomings You might be considering performance, Boris might be considering the most attractive colour scheme for the equipment.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Qatar have messed it up: they went a little too Chinese on the privacy invasion.
    https://www.thenational.ae/world/mena/qatar-virus-tracing-app-stirs-rare-privacy-backlash-1.1024415
    I havent actually measured the UAE or Singaporean versions, just saying they have the right toolkit to get to world beating.

We just dont, and I have no idea why we need to pretend that we do despite all evidence to the contrary.

The UK govt has been terrible at IT projects for decades, people are less trusting in or willing to accept electronic surveillance and we will probably spend what we do spend on the wrong things.
  • Options
  • Options

Have you downloaded the track and trace yet? Is it ready?
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Cumstain is Keith Harris. Bozo is Orville the Duck.
  • Options
    Damn, looks like a scrub. :(
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

In fairness to Hancock, why was he given this additional responsibility when he already had most work and responsibility during the crisis?

It should have gone to Gove, or another minister who could have made it their priority, not something to spend a bit of time on after fire fighting PPE and care homes for most of the day.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Those kind of importance surveys you should just discard anything below the top category (at least that’s the case with “will probably but” surveys).

This is just a straight partisan thing at this point. Lab/Lib/Remain at 55 and Tories/Leave at 30.

(And some of the Tories/Leave are focused on second order impact not the actual event).
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

looks good at 17 to go
  • Options
    Scrubola
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

I havent actually measured the UAE or Singaporean versions, just saying they have the right toolkit to get to world beating.

We just dont, and I have no idea why we need to pretend that we do despite all evidence to the contrary.

The UK govt has been terrible at IT projects for decades, people are less trusting in or willing to accept electronic surveillance and we will probably spend what we do spend on the wrong things.
    I’m in UAE. Lots of testing going on (>30% of population so far) and isolation wards for all positive tests. No app so far.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Sandpit said:

looks good at 17 to go
    Weather got them in the end. Back on Saturday night for another go.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I'm absolutely gutted for my daughter. Just received an email from her school saying that next week's reopening has been cancelled on the advice of the County Council. Attached was a letter from the County Council to the school advising all schools in the County remain closed.

She's been really struggling last couple of weeks with her mental health, missing her friends and has been counting down the days, like to Christmas, to being able to see her friends again.

The reopening had been confirmed and everything. To make matters worse and what makes me angry is they'd come up with plans on how the school would be different and had advised us to talk to her about how the school would be different to what she is used to - which we had done.

To say there was no schooling is one thing. To promise she can come back, talk to her and get her excited about it, then rip it away from her once more. I'm furious about this.
  • Options
    Any polls later? 😈
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

In fairness to Hancock, why was he given this additional responsibility when he already had most work and responsibility during the crisis?

It should have gone to Gove, or another minister who could have made it their priority, not something to spend a bit of time on after fire fighting PPE and care homes for most of the day.
    Yes it should have been, but aiui PHE claimed it and so it fell under the DoH. Hancock is too weak to tell the idiots in PHE that they are clueless fucks and that the whole project should be handed over to the private sector under the cabinet office (same as the Nightingale hospitals and Ventilators) with different companies pitching solutions and then the cabinet office/Gove picking the best one.

Instead the planks from PHE are scared of private sector encroachment in the same way they were for testing so we are where we are.
  • Options

To say there was no schooling is one thing. To promise she can come back, talk to her and get her excited about it, then rip it away from her once more. I'm furious about this.

Welcome to the dark side!

The Government you support so assiduously is fucking this up cos the man at the top is a useless clown.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    @Philip_Thompson - That doesn’t sound good. Do you know if it’s a blanket ban on the county or specific to your daughter’s school?
  • Options

I'm absolutely gutted for my daughter. Just received an email from her school saying that next week's reopening has been cancelled on the advice of the County Council. Attached was a letter from the County Council to the school advising all schools in the County remain closed.

She's been really struggling last couple of weeks with her mental health, missing her friends and has been counting down the days, like to Christmas, to being able to see her friends again.

The reopening had been confirmed and everything. To make matters worse and what makes me angry is they'd come up with plans on how the school would be different and had advised us to talk to her about how the school would be different to what she is used to - which we had done.

That's sad for your daughter but the school had to have plans in place regardless of whether it was ultimately going to be allowed to or not.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

Very sorry to hear this PhilIp. Did they say why they had given this advice?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Yes it should have been, but aiui PHE claimed it and so it fell under the DoH. Hancock is too weak to tell the idiots in PHE that they are clueless fucks and that the whole project should be handed over to the private sector under the cabinet office (same as the Nightingale hospitals and Ventilators) with different companies pitching solutions and then the cabinet office/Gove picking the best one.

Instead the planks from PHE are scared of private sector encroachment in the same way they were for testing so we are where we are.
    It is the PMs job to decide who does what on such a major issue, not PHE or even Hancocks. It is just bad management to overload your managers in a major crisis when help can be brought in from other people.
  • Options
    Will that only be visible from the South West like that map line? Or will it be visible from the whole country?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

I suspect your idea of world beating works on different criteria to Boris Johnson's shortcomings You might be considering performance, Boris might be considering the most attractive colour scheme for the equipment.
    Some wonk has calculated that Trump's similar claims (building world-beating walls with Mexico etc.) are an electoral positive.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Tim_B said:

Sandpit said:

looks good at 17 to go
    Seems like the weather would have been OK ten minutes later, but they couldn't miss their time slot
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

@Philip_Thompson - That doesn’t sound good. Do you know if it’s a blanket ban on the county or specific to your daughter’s school?

Blanket. Lancashire County Council.
  • Options

Will that only be visible from the South West like that map line? Or will it be visible from the whole country?
    It'll be Saturday, scrubbed today due to weather.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

I’ve been loathe to criticise agencies, given the scale of the pandemic, but PHE are the group who should have been prepared better than anyone - but clearly weren’t and totally messed up. If Hancock hadn’t announced the 100k testing target for April and said that nothing else mattered, they’d still be processing a few hundred here and there,
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Tim_B said:

Sandpit said:

looks good at 17 to go
    And 50 minutes earlier - so sky over UK will still be quite light.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It'll be Saturday, scrubbed today due to weather.
    And visible from the whole country, lower against the horizon as you move up toward Scotland
  • Options

JonathanD said:

I like the Orville and Harris comparison myself. Partly as I am sure our PM would loathe to end up being remembered for resembling Orville instead of Churchill.
    I should read before I post!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Tim_B said:

Sandpit said:

looks good at 17 to go
    Seems like the weather would have been OK ten minutes later, but they couldn't miss their time slot
    I think all ISS missions have an instantaneous window, and all polar missions I think.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

I think there will be a shed load of parents in your daughters class who are really quite relieved they don't have to make this decision for their child.....

My brother in laws school is trying to open up and the parents are not having it...I think that position is much closer to the centre of gravity whilst 100's are still dying of this disease everyday....

• Options
    edited May 2020

Sandpit said:

Tim_B said:

Sandpit said:

looks good at 17 to go
    And 50 minutes earlier - so sky over UK will still be quite light.
    Looking at the sky now, I doubt we would have seen it twenty five minutes ago
  • Options

JonathanD said:

I should read before I post!
    No please spread the message. Make it go viral!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

It sounds sensible considering we have a clusterfuck governing us....
  • Options

That's a shame for your daughter - did the school say why the Council had decided that? Have they said when they might open?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,940

All premierships are slowly falling apart. The Tories will be in power until 2024 at least, making it a solid 14 years. What's your point?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Very sorry to hear this PhilIp. Did they say why they had given this advice?
    They believe only 3 of the 5 government tests have been met. Don't believe Test & Trace is ready, and consequentially don't believe that there won't be a second peak.

Taken from the document:

"Locally, we are currently able to meet the requirements of the first three tests; however, we do not meet the requirements for the final two tests. The test and trace programme is not at a state of readiness to respond to Covid-19 community setting outbreaks in a timely manner, which poses a risk to school environments.

Furthermore, we are not confident that adjustments to the current measures of the lockdown policy will not risk a second peak of infections locally. Consequently, our advice to schools is to not re-open to more pupils on June 1st, but to continue with their current support systems that are in place. The safety and wellbeing of children, their families, and school staff outweigh the benefits of opening schools of 1st June"
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,293

Sorry to hear it, Phil. Commisserations to yourself and your daughter.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Tim_B said:

Sandpit said:

looks good at 17 to go
    Usually they have a ‘launch window’ of a few minutes, when they can delay for a bit if they need to, but this one was an ‘instantaneous window’, where any delay was automatically a scrubbed attempt.

Apart from the weather everything else looked good, so they’ll be calling this one a dress rehearsal for Saturday!
  • Options

That's a shame for your daughter - did the school say why the Council had decided that? Have they said when they might open?
    A hint might be the Govt is fucking incompetent....and you cannot trust anything that comes out of their lying mouths.....

Other than that...I can't think of what else the council can base their decision on....
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    tyson said:

tlg86 said:

It sounds sensible considering we have a clusterfuck governing us....
    Yeah, fuck child mental health.

Cretin.

This discussion has been closed.