Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Two thirds of those polled back the key lockdown easing measur

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited May 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Two thirds of those polled back the key lockdown easing measure due on Monday

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    First.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,758
    second
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Third. The worst.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Third. The worst.

Podium finish.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,391
    I doubt there are more than three people in the country with a detailed knowledge of the differences between England's and Scotland's handling of the pandemic.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    So the public simultaneously support the new measures by a large margin, but also think things are going too fast by a large margin.
  • Options

I doubt there are more than three people in the country with a detailed knowledge of the differences between England's and Scotland's handling of the pandemic.

That's better than the Brexiters' own understanding of Brexit - and I mean the politicians and agitators.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    I've seen a 7% infection rate quoted in England. Do we know anything about infection rates in other countries?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

That's better than the Brexiters' own understanding of Brexit - and I mean the politicians and agitators.
    Indeed. It was notable the ERG had no plan for Brexit, and nor did Ukip, though both existed to campaign for it. I'm not even sure Boris and Dom have much idea where they want to end up, and how to get there.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263

If one of them would like to give a summary to the thread I'd be grateful - because I don't personally have a clue.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993

I've seen a 7% infection rate quoted in England. Do we know anything about infection rates in other countries?

This is really good: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/28/upshot/coronavirus-herd-immunity.html

It's city-level, rather than country level, but it tells you that NYC is the nearest to herd immunity (at c. 20%), but it's still a long way from it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Blimey, it's either very asymptomatic, I've got an atypically uninfected group of friends and colleagues or people have kept quiet about it.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    Unfortunately I doubt many people are now taking these "rules" seriously.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Third. The worst.

No, second is worst. The silver medallist hoped to win, and failed. The bronze medallist hoped to come fifth or sixth and outperformed or got lucky. Keep that in mind if we ever get round to the 2020 2021 Tokyo Olympics.
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    First sighting of an open pub today in Cambridge, albeit takeaway
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    In other news, the monkeys are onto us. Steal virus, kill the humans! How long before this gets full on 'Planet of the Apes'?

https://twitter.com/BogochIsaac/status/1266359066659602432
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    RobD said:

So the public simultaneously support the new measures by a large margin, but also think things are going too fast by a large margin.

Yes. Isn't life unfair?

Could be a lot more of this for the government now that they've trashed their reputation and trust. The public are sure that they're fucking it up somehow, even if they can't say how or why.

It's the position that Major's government found there was no way back from.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Carnyx said:

Indeed. It was notable the ERG had no plan for Brexit, and nor did Ukip, though both existed to campaign for it. I'm not even sure Boris and Dom have much idea where they want to end up, and how to get there.
    I was thinking in terms of the morning after - only the SNP and the Scxottish Gmt seemed to have anything coherent to say (I may be unfair about Wales and the LDs). But yes. Quite so.

Re the poll, I think it's based in part on approach and demeanour - e.g. what Mrs Sturgeon does not do is always look for a comic off the cuff quip. My partner commented that you could see Mr Johnson doing that, visibly, till he remembered himself, repeatedly, during the recent select committee interrogation.

Also rather better [edit: deaths] figures overall (and that is even without the gap between covid-19 reported deaths and excess deaths you get in the English figures - a comparative anomaly which is still unexplained).
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    Pulpstar said:

Blimey, it's either very asymptomatic, I've got an atypically uninfected group of friends and colleagues or people have kept quiet about it.
    I think they found the spread has been mostly through key workers, so it depends on how many you know.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,196

Third. The worst.

No, second is worst. The silver medallist hoped to win, and failed. The bronze medallist hoped to come fifth or sixth and outperformed or got lucky. Keep that in mind if we ever get round to the 2020 2021 Tokyo Olympics.
    So who was playing billiards with the maid? I have Googled and failed.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

My close circle numbers some 25 people of which 7 have had the virus. 3 had it bad but not quite hospital. Other 4 mild.
  • Options

Third. The worst.

Palmerston.
  • Options

Third. The worst.

I'd like to know too please ...
  • Options

Third. The worst.

Palmerston.
    Ah. Thanks.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The comparison with Scotland - which as several have said is a subject on which 99% of the population know precisely nothing - is a poll on the effect of media attacks on the UK government over this issue.

The whole thing has become (even before Cummings' jaunts) absurdly politicised. As this article points out very persuasively, a myth has been developed by the media which is simply not supported by the facts:

https://thecritic.co.uk/the-lockdowns-founding-myth/

Of course, myths matter more than reality in politics, so this is very bad news for the Conservatives. They should have got their own myth out first.
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

In other news, the monkeys are onto us. Steal virus, kill the humans! How long before this gets full on 'Planet of the Apes'?

https://twitter.com/BogochIsaac/status/1266359066659602432

Humans are doing a pretty good job of spreading the disease already without simian assistance.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

The comparison with Scotland - which as several have said is a subject on which 99% of the population know precisely nothing - is a poll on the effect of media attacks on the UK government over this issue.

The whole thing has become (even before Cummings' jaunts) absurdly politicised. As this article points out very persuasively, a myth has been developed by the media which is simply not supported by the facts:

Of course, myths matter more than reality in politics, so this is very bad news for the Conservatives. They should have got their own myth out first.

But you do need to factor in the very visibly different public personas of Ms Sturgeon and Mr Johnson when speaking publicly, as a lot of people will have been able to assess on TV.

For instance, I don't recall Ms Stugeon diluting the lockdown warning with a suggestion she'd go to visit her mum anyway, or her father weighing in with moans about not being able to go to the pub.

That in itself is a major public health issue - having the right presentation.
  • Options

Third. The worst.

Palmerston.
    Is it apocryphal? I am sure in 200 years this story might well be attributed to Johnson.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

My close circle numbers some 25 people of which 7 have had the virus. 3 had it bad but not quite hospital. Other 4 mild.
    Confirmed by test or only by symptom (out of curiosity)?
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Carnyx said:

But you do need to factor in the very visibly different public personas of Ms Sturgeon and Mr Johnson when speaking publicly, as a lot of people will have been able to assess on TV.

For instance, I don't recall Ms Stugeon diluting the lockdown warning with a suggestion she'd go to visit her mum anyway, or her father weighing in with moans about not being able to go to the pub.

Yes, fair point.

Boris started off with the wrong tone but then improved a lot once he realised the full severity of the crisis. Since his severe illness hit him he has understandably sounded not on full form.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

No tests. They all had it in the period when we were testing hospital patients only.
  • Options

Even that article falls for the myth slightly, in that it glosses over one of the interesting discrepancies where HMG have throughout asked people to work from home if they can, but to continue to leave home to work if they cannot - but it was British society that took the lockdown further and shut down everything that wasn't essential and couldn't continue from home (such as construction).

I do think we have to ask why it was that we gave up on containment almost without trying, but I think that's as much a question for the scientists as it is for the politicians.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601

In which case let's just focus on the UK and focus on the fact that the sum of their contributions has left us with the second highest per capita excess deaths in the world.

https://www.ft.com/content/6b4c784e-c259-4ca4-9a82-648ffde71bf0

• Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Update on the construction work situation in Hampshire. We are back to 100% from Monday, we have had numerous calls today regarding other projects starting over the next 2 weeks. We are now advertising for more staff.
  • Options

Third. The worst.

Palmerston.
    Is it apocryphal? I am sure in 200 years this story might well be attributed to Johnson.
    Which Prime Minister delayed responding to the pandemic because he was on a fortnight's holiday showing his fiancee round the bedrooms at Chevening, having not long returned from a Christmas break in Mustique?
  • Options

A fascinating read, and I suspect one that will be ignored forever by many who will just want to blame the (Tory) government. The public enquir(ies)y after this will be fascinating. Why have we done so poorly in keeping deaths down? Possibly too many seeded outbreaks across the country from all the skiing trips and business with China. Is our health system markedly poorer than our competitors? Maybe. We'll find out and then fight about the enquiry getting it wrong, as it was all Boris's fault.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Yes, fair point.

Boris started off with the wrong tone but then improved a lot once he realised the full severity of the crisis. Since his severe illness hit him he has understandably sounded not on full form.
    Thank you, that's a fairer analysis, though he still seems to come out with the odd crack or spur of the moment decision/sweetie too often.

It is still a striking result. To quibble, rather more than yout 99% will be familioar with Scottish procedures of course, being Scottish and able to compare it with the "UK" but in this context partly English news beamed in by the BBC etc. But not 41%!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,636
    The number of active cases has fallen below the number of closed cases for the first time in two months.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Options

Third. The worst.

Palmerston.
    Which Prime Minister delayed responding to the pandemic because he was on a fortnight's holiday showing his fiancee round the bedrooms at Chevening, having not long returned from a Christmas break in Mustique?
    That isn't apocryphal!
  • Options

In which case let's just focus on the UK and focus on the fact that the sum of their contributions has left us with the second highest per capita excess deaths in the world.

https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker has a helpful table - about 4/5 of the way down the page.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744
    On my walk today saw a pub openly selling pints in plastic cups, then people drinking them on the road outside. Is this even vaguely legal? If so, why isnt everyone doing it?

Asking out of curiosity rather than any desire to dob them in!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

No tests. They all had it in the period when we were testing hospital patients only.
    Be interesting to see any serology tests at some point - wife was ill late Feb and thought she 'might' have had it, but PHE blood test says no!
    I'm also fascinated by the people being tested currently (typically more than 70,000 a day) that are not Covid-19 positive - what are their symptoms?
  • Options

Maybe. Probably not, though, and especially probably not once you correct for factors outside the government's control, such as population density, obesity, age distribution, and perhaps genetics.

In a year or two's time it might be possible to begin to unravel the effects of the various factors.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

Third. The worst.

Palmerston.
    Probably:

https://www.hertfordshirelife.co.uk/home/the-dramatic-life-and-passing-of-prime-minister-lord-palmerston-1-4288750

I think it’s more likely to be an urban legend inspired by the ummm, energetic death of President Félix Fauré in 1899.

Which is ironic because Palmerston hated the French.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    He achieved his ambition by chicanery rather than on merit?
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

A fascinating read, and I suspect one that will be ignored forever by many who will just want to blame the (Tory) government. The public enquir(ies)y after this will be fascinating. Why have we done so poorly in keeping deaths down? Possibly too many seeded outbreaks across the country from all the skiing trips and business with China. Is our health system markedly poorer than our competitors? Maybe. We'll find out and then fight about the enquiry getting it wrong, as it was all Boris's fault.
    I genuinely do think the politiicians stood back and let the scientists run the show at the start
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    houndtang said:

I know a couple of pubs that have been providing food on a takeaway basis throughout - not sure it was ever against the rules, though their clientele was limited.
  • Options

Maybe. Probably not, though, and especially probably not once you correct for factors outside the government's control, such as population density, obesity, age distribution, and perhaps genetics.

In a year or two's time it might be possible to begin to unravel the effects of the various factors.
    THere's that too - but obesity etc. is also partly under public policy, and indeed the medical chap in the Eye seesn that as a further failure of government.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Third. The worst.

Palmerston.
    Probably:

https://www.hertfordshirelife.co.uk/home/the-dramatic-life-and-passing-of-prime-minister-lord-palmerston-1-4288750

I think it’s more likely to be an urban legend inspired by the ummm, energetic death of President Félix Fauré in 1899.

A Leaver then?
  • Options
    edited May 2020

On my walk today saw a pub openly selling pints in plastic cups, then people drinking them on the road outside. Is this even vaguely legal? If so, why isnt everyone doing it?

Pubs with off licences can sell booze for off-premises consumption. Those without (which is most of them) cannot.

ETA the people drinking should separately obey the social distancing rules.
  • Options

I genuinely do think the politiicians stood back and let the scientists run the show at the start
    Well Cummings didn't. A Sage delegate from the start!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

We will never know how the scientists would have responded if they had been interrogated intelligently by an engaged Prime Minister alert to the growing dangers of a pandemic. Because the Prime Minister we had wasn't interested enough even to turn up to the relevant meetings.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

THere's that too - but obesity etc. is also partly under public policy, and indeed the medical chap in the Eye seesn that as a further failure of government.
    Yes, but not of this government particularly.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897

Pubs with off licences can sell booze for off-premises consumption. Those without (which is most of them) cannot.

On the door of almost all English pubs it says "licenced to sell on or off the premises"
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Third. The worst.

Palmerston.
    Probably:

A Leaver then?
    A Frenchman once got burned by Pam. Trying to flatter him, he said, ‘Monsieur, were I not French, I should wish to be English.’

Back came the reply, ‘Well, if I were not English, I should also wish to be English.’

In its own way that’s ironic because technically he was Irish. But that’s another story.
  • Options

A SAGE delegate who didn’t know his onions, so we’re stuffed.
  • Options

Thanks, I think the patrons were obeying the rules from Monday but not the current ones. If there had been any more though then it would be either blocking the road and/or reducing the social distancing, so the weekends might get tricky.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Third. The worst.

Palmerston.
    Probably:

A Leaver then?
    A Frenchman once got burned by Pam. Trying to flatter him, he said, ‘Monsieur, were I not French, I should wish to be English.’

Back came the reply, ‘Well, if I were not English, I should also wish to be English.’

In its own way that’s ironic because technically he was Irish. But that’s another story.
    History was not this fascinating at Ledbury Grammar School! Just the dreary Tudors and Stuarts (I am sure you won't concur).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Third. The worst.

Palmerston.
    Probably:

It was taught by his favourite history teacher to David Cameron (and therefore perhaps to Boris as well). On the other hand, our leading historian of the Victorian age, Mr Jacob Rees-Mogg, does not mention Palmerston's death one way or the other.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

His thyme will come! Enough!
  • Options
    https://prod.flowapp.com/s/g5eEQ2k7Qm?refToken=EM&utm_source=emailmarketing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_mailer__28_may_2020&utm_content=2020-05-29

This just in my in box for the historians among us - talk from TNA on the Tudor responses to pandemics, social distancing etc.
  • Options
    Cannock town centre was absolutely heaving today. Never seen it so busy. That’s all the weirder as there was of course no market.

The weather, ennui and Dominic Cummings have between them destroyed lockdown.

If we need a second wave lockdown it doesn’t look like there’ll be one.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Third. The worst.

Palmerston.
    Probably:

A Leaver then?

History was not this fascinating at Ledbury Grammar School! Just the dreary Tudors and Stuarts (I am sure you won't concur).
    Wouldn’t know, I was at Newent not Ledbury.

Edit - our history teacher did tell us these stories about Palmerston though.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    Just a polite question.

How long do you think the UK can continue with the present schemes or is it correct to start mitigating the cost in incremental increases.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Third. The worst.

Palmerston.
    Probably:

A Leaver then?

I was refering to the dishwater dull Tudors and Stuarts!

Small world nonetheless.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897

ydoethur said:

His thyme will come! Enough!
    He's hoping for Herb Immunity.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Yep - and they need to bear them.

Capitalism cuts both ways.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

On behalf of a friend, where might this pub be?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited May 2020
    It's a subtle nudge to push companies to make staff redundant (or bring them back, of course). That only Costa the government £700 per month in UC rather than £2000 for the furlough.

I think it sort of makes sense because some businesses do need a starting gun for reopening.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Third. The worst.

Palmerston.
    Probably:

A Leaver then?

I was refering to the dishwater dull Tudors and Stuarts!

Small world nonetheless.
    Oh yes, agree with you all the time there. In terms of my knowledge I jump straight from The Wars of the Roses to the French Revolution.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited May 2020

I so want it to be Barnard Castle....just to see all the journos rush off there for a, er, vox pop...yeah, that'll be it, a vox pop.....
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    Rishi gives a shout out to CCS. Top bloke.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

ydoethur said:

Third. The worst.

Palmerston.
    Probably:

It was taught by his favourite history teacher to David Cameron (and therefore perhaps to Boris as well). On the other hand, our leading historian of the Victorian age, Mr Jacob Rees-Mogg, does not mention Palmerston's death one way or the other.
    It was probably after his time.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Just a polite question.

How long do you think the UK can continue with the present schemes or is it correct to start mitigating the cost in incremental increases.
    I’m not an economist. But with the government borrowing more in April than it intended to for the year, and with Covid-19 ruining public finances in the short term far worse than the crisis of 2008 did, the answer must be: not indefinitely.

I don’t particularly disagree with this decision. It has, however, consequences, many of which will be unwelcome.
  • Options

Snowsfields, near London Bridge.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993
    Pulpstar said:

Well, it's also very regional.

In London, around one-in-six people have antibodies.

While in Shrewsbury, you'll be lucky if you can find six people with antibodies.
  • Options
    You can get a drink in Hoxton Square, my sources tell me.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,229
    Breaking news - my application to join the Labour Party has been rejected! *giggles*
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2020

houndtang said:

I know a couple of pubs that have been providing food on a takeaway basis throughout - not sure it was ever against the rules, though their clientele was limited.
    Not it never was against the lockdown rules. The government specifically said they could (despite in normal times not being within their licences).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611

If one of them would like to give a summary to the thread I'd be grateful - because I don't personally have a clue.
    Palmerston is the answer to that, too.
    (See his reputed answer about the Schleswig Holstein Question.)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    The UK has set itself on a collision course with China after broadening its offer on extended visa rights from 350,000 to almost 3m Hong Kong residents.

After Beijing announced plans this week to proceed with the imposition of a national security law on Hong Kong, London retaliated with an “unprecedented” pledge to expand visa rights for British National (Overseas) passport holders in Hong Kong from six to 12 months and “provide a pathway to future citizenship”.

About 350,000 people hold valid BNO passports, a document issued to Hong Kong residents born before the handover of the territory from UK to Chinese sovereignty in 1997.

However, the Home Office clarified on Friday that the pledge to extend visa rights would apply to anyone eligible to apply for a BNO passport currently living in Hong Kong, of which there are estimated to be about 2.9m. Most of the additional 2.55m people have held a BNO passport in the past but not renewed it.

https://www.ft.com/content/06e30290-1fcb-44cb-9ed6-5f4b0e7ff565

Good thing too - the government has finally found a spine....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

One difference is Scotland can have 8 people whereas I think England was 6, Scotland was one household , think England may be any Tom Dick or Harry
  • Options

Breaking news - my application to join the Labour Party has been rejected! *giggles*

Your choice or theirs?
  • Options

This might be more use to your friend (if they are in or near London):

https://www.mylondon.news/whats-on/food-drink-news/89-london-pubs-you-can-18310902
  • Options

Ah, the Smoke. It be a long way to Lunnon for us Essex folk.
  • Options

Do they have a Tesco?

Get your drink, sit on a bench outside a closed pub. Just the same, but half the cost.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    ydoethur said:

Cannock town centre was absolutely heaving today. Never seen it so busy. That’s all the weirder as there was of course no market.

Like a bloody Butlins holiday camp along my street, so many people are meeting up, having kids friends around, chatting over drinks in the garden etc etc.

The bbqs are starting to be lit up judging by the sniff of the breeze.

As I have said all along there was no way the lockdown would last too long as too much for people.

But I'm not sure why small businesses with only a handful of employees (the number six comes to mind funnily) aren't being told to get back to work, seeing that is less contact than the constant stream of comings and goings in gardens.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
  • Options

Just a polite question.

I’m not an economist. But with the government borrowing more in April than it intended to for the year, and with Covid-19 ruining public finances in the short term far worse than the crisis of 2008 did, the answer must be: not indefinitely.

I don’t particularly disagree with this decision. It has, however, consequences, many of which will be unwelcome.
    To be honest Alastair, there are no good options from here but the biggest difficulty is that lockdown is easy and popular, but coming out of it is going to be very hard and many changes are going to happen to employment and the nature of jobs

I expect these decisions with define this government and being popular may well be very hard to maintain
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,636
    ydoethur said:

People have to take personal responsibility and decide whether to do the right thing or not.
  • Options

You are joking
  • Options

Do they have a Tesco?

Get your drink, sit on a bench outside a closed pub. Just the same, but half the cost.
    This is more the organic/bio wine sort of drink than the Super T sort of drink.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/taylorswift13/status/1266392274549776387

Let's hope many of her 86m young followers who are American turn out in November.
  • Options

No room for Trots in Starmer's Labour, Comrade!
  • Options
    Rishi swerves around whether a 2nd peak lockdown will be supported by furlough etc
This discussion has been closed.