Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2020 in General

Comments

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    First
  • You weren't wrong PtP.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    Who'd have thunk 'You ain't black' might end up being a positive?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    If Biden wants to win the Midwest Whitmer looks a better pick now than Klobuchar
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    edited May 2020
    FPT
    DougSeal said:

» show previous quotes
    FFS read the post and calm down you angry little troll. I’m not saying there is discrimination, indeed down thread I say there isn’t, but there is a point to be answered beyond your usual hyperbolic “Little Englander” bullshit.

I’m throwing it out as a discussion point. “Bollox” is not an answer. Neither is “well, it can’t be discriminatory if YOU’RE doing it too.” In any event “we’re” not - the argument stems from the fact that English Unis charge the same wherever you reside on these islands. That the Scots don’t is probably justified a justified policy but there is an argument both ways that can’t be shut down by your direly repetitive, and frankly increasingly hysterical, insults.

Wah Wah Wah , you really are a big jessie, I am perfectly calm thank you very much , despite the rubbish I read on here about Scotland.. Bollox describes it perfectly. It is 100% fair, there can be NO argument whatsoever that it is in any way discriminatory.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    HYUFD said:

If Biden wants to win the Midwest Whitmer looks a better pick now than Klobuchar

Picking a sitting governor in the middle of a pandemic is perhaps not the smartest of things to do. She has a job, and should be left to get on with it.

Also, your complete fixation on the VP pick being important because of the state they come from is quite possibly not shared by those making the choice.
    We will see.
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Picking a sitting governor in the middle of a pandemic is perhaps not the smartest of things to do. She has a job, and should be left to get on with it.

Also, your complete fixation on the VP pick being important because of the state they come from is quite possibly not shared by those making the choice.
    We will see.
    To win the EC Biden needs Pennsylvania where he was born and raised, Michigan where Whitmer is governor and has high approval ratings for her handling of the pandemic and Nebraska 02 where he was 10% ahead in the last poll there.

Those should be his main focus
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758
    Klobuchar collapse KLAXON!!!
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Scott_xP said:
    Good for him.

I expect he will be sacked tomorrow morning.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    I think the poll is going to be more or less evens within the MoE.
    tlg86 said:
    A reminder of my prediction yesterday: Tories will be the most unpopular government in living memory by next summer.
    MaxPB said:

:smile:

That's a keeper
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287

Scott_xP said:
    Good for him.

Quite.. shouldnt enter the political arena. If he is sacked he deserves it.
    MaxPB said:

I agree.

The 3% who say Cummings should stay may just be because they happened to ring Lord Wakefield, Matt Hancock and Bluest Blue.
    Scott_xP said:
    As I have been saying, PB Tories who think this be forgotten in a week or two are imho wrong. The anger is unlike anything I've seen, at least since poll tax or perhaps MPs expenses.

Scott_xP said:
    Good for him.

Dominic Cummings better hope people don’t start getting sacked just because they deserve it for flagrant breaches of government policy.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    malcolmg said:
    Wonder if he'll still have a job in a week or so!
    ydoethur said:
    Behind closed doors, admittedly. How can you get anywhere near social distancing in Rugby?
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    edited May 2020
    At least, Prof VT knows a lot about football as well. I didn't see him when Boston played at Rochdale, but as a BGS old boy, he can't be all bad.

He followed me, albeit briefly, to Roche so I will support him anyway. Cummings Is a bad 'un and VT is now un-sackable.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

I agree.

The 3% who say Cummings should stay may just be because they happened to ring Lord Wakefield, Matt Hancock and Bluest Blue.
    If I was asked whether he should go I would say "no", even though I'd have sacked him if I had been the PM.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    edited May 2020
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Good for him.

Dominic Cummings better hope people don’t start getting sacked just because they deserve it for flagrant breaches of government policy.
    The sad truth is that most people don’t get dismissed because they “deserve” it. In Cummings case an employer with half a backbone would have got shot of him because of the massive repetitional damage caused by having him around. Whether or not he was “guilty” is very much a secondary consideration in such cases.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    malcolmg said:

FPT
    DougSeal said:

» show previous quotes
    FFS read the post and calm down you angry little troll. I’m not saying there is discrimination, indeed down thread I say there isn’t, but there is a point to be answered beyond your usual hyperbolic “Little Englander” bullshit.

I’m throwing it out as a discussion point. “Bollox” is not an answer. Neither is “well, it can’t be discriminatory if YOU’RE doing it too.” In any event “we’re” not - the argument stems from the fact that English Unis charge the same wherever you reside on these islands. That the Scots don’t is probably justified a justified policy but there is an argument both ways that can’t be shut down by your direly repetitive, and frankly increasingly hysterical, insults.

Wah Wah Wah , you really are a big jessie, I am perfectly calm thank you very much , despite the rubbish I read on here about Scotland.. Bollox describes it perfectly. It is 100% fair, there can be NO argument whatsoever that it is in any way discriminatory.

DougSeal - there is the point that the previous policy was equitable in the sense that anyone who passed the entrance selection got fees paid - at least when I were a young un. But the discrimination arose because the "English" Gmt ordained that fees should be paid* and the Welsh and NI admins followed [or maybe they didn't have devolution in that area then? - same result anyway] but the Scottish Gmt did not. This is a historical poijnt though.
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

I agree.

If I was asked whether he should go I would say "no", even though I'd have sacked him if I had been the PM.
    OK, so any three of the above along with tlg86 and Square Root, plus presumably the ghost of Harry Flashman (if they have phone lines to wherever such spirits go).
    DougSeal said:

The sad truth is that most people don’t get dismissed because they “deserve” it. In Cummings case an employer with half a backbone would have got shot of him because of the massive repetitional damage caused by having him around. Whether or not he was “guilty” is very much a secondary consideration in such cases.

Tuesday
    Crisis meeting in Downing Street. Thinking back, before holding a press conference, we probably should have held a press conference to check it was safe to hold a press conference.

“The daytrip to Barnard Castle does sound bad,” says Matt Hancock. “Even to our supporters.”

I roll my eyes and ask why we are even listening to the views of people I don’t respect at all.

“Because there aren’t any other people?” suggests Matt.

Then I remind him that he already tweeted I hadn’t done anything wrong.

Although he says he regrets that now, and it was only because I was holding that cattle prod.

Rishi Sunak says the problem might be that people just don’t find me very relatable.

“Why not?” I snap. “Because I drove to a castle?”

“It’s not like it was his wife’s castle,” agrees Michael Gove.

“Exactly!” I say. “That’s a completely different castle.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/my-week-dominic-cummings-67h27wsxs?shareToken=f811589c4832cd0fb69831f92f7475d8
    DougSeal said:

the massive repetitional damage

Now that is an awesome Freudian slip.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    ydoethur said:
    Without spectators I assume.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    There’s something weird about referring to this as if it had happened here. We don’t need to import American culture wars.

https://twitter.com/keir_starmer/status/1266672661679218688?s=21

ydoethur said:
    Behind closed doors, admittedly. How can you get anywhere near social distancing in Rugby?
    I had no idea that corner of Warwickshire was so crowded.
    CorrectHorseBattery's dreams might come true with this poll.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922

ydoethur said:
    Visit the disused Central railway station?
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

I agree.

OK, so any three of the above along with tlg86 and Square Root, plus presumably the ghost of Harry Flashman (if they have phone lines to wherever such spirits go).
    Here's something I've been wondering about. Are Ferguson and the woman in Scotland now unemployed?
    malcolmg said:

FPT
    DougSeal said:

» show previous quotes

Never seen so much point-missing. The victims of the Scottish policy aren't wannabe English students who have more than enough perfectly good English universities to go to. It's the Scots, who are discriminated against by quotas on free places. So if you're English your 9 grand gets you a place to read physics or history or modern languages, but if you're Scottish you had better be o.k. with basket-weaving and applied theology, or soap opera studies. A quite unbelievable policy of self inflicted apartheid.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/heartache-straight-students-rejected-top-13674608

There’s something weird about referring to this as if it had happened here. We don’t need to import American culture wars.

He should be grateful that it won't get any attention. Very much NOT his place to be commenting on the domestic affairs of another country.

+1

ydoethur said:
    How can you social distance when helping a jockey to mount a horse?
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922
    tlg86 said:

He should be grateful that it won't get any attention. Very much NOT his place to be commenting on the domestic affairs of another country.
    China says hello.
    Oh dear

https://twitter.com/AnthonyMangnal1/status/1266682664775548931

https://twitter.com/AnthonyMangnal1/status/1266682665975021568

The third paragraph of Mr Mangnall’s response reads: "[Insert if there has been a bereavement: May I add my condolences to the recent loss of your family member.

"The current situation has made the ability to mourn the passing of loved ones all the more difficult. I send my best wishes to you and your family.]"
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

the massive repetitional damage

Now that is an awesome Freudian slip.
    Point well made!
    tlg86 said:

I fear President Xi would agree with you.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    tlg86 said:
    There is a very weak correlation between tweets saying a poll is exciting, and the actual poll being exciting.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Just watching conference on delay.

Hopeless journalist thinks Everton v Liverpool is on BBC.

In fact it's free to air on Pick TV, simulcast on Sky Sports.
    tlg86 said:

Makes a refreshing change from Palestine.
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

I agree.

Here's something I've been wondering about. Are Ferguson and the woman in Scotland now unemployed?
    I would assume so. It depends on whether they held the positions on secondment from another place of work or were employed directly by the government.
    tlg86 said:

I disagree with all this. In America when politicians spoke up about injustices in Northern Ireland their audience was not on this side of the pond but Irish-American voters. Similarly Starmer is not talking to the Yanks but Labour’s large constituency of Black voters - many of whom have suffered similarly (although I hope and believe not to the same widespread extent as in the US) so it’s politics as normal.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,225
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

I fear President Xi would agree with you.
    President Trump on the other hand....
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

I agree.

I would assume so. It depends on whether they held the positions on secondment from another place of work or were employed directly by the government.
    If so, do you not think that is incredibly harsh? I know you think Cummings is as thick as mince, but I assume Ferguson and Calderwood are competent and good at what they do. It seems ridiculous that these indiscretions should end their professional careers.
    DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

I disagree with all this. In America when politicians spoke up about injustices in Northern Ireland their audience was not on this side of the pond but Irish-American voters. Similarly Starmer is not talking to the Yanks but Labour’s large constituency of Black voters - many of whom have suffered similarly (although I hope and believe not to the same widespread extent as in the US) so it’s politics as normal.
    Core vote strategy. Perhaps the Tories don't have much to worry about after all.
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:
    There is a very weak correlation between tweets saying a poll is exciting, and the actual poll being exciting.
    It's almost strong but inverse.
    edited May 2020
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

I agree.

If so, do you not think that is incredibly harsh? I know you think Cummings is as thick as mince, but I assume Ferguson and Calderwood are competent and good at what they do. It seems ridiculous that these indiscretions should end their professional careers.
    If I had done what any of them had done, I would undoubtedly have been sacked and very probably banned from teaching for two years, for bringing the school and the profession into disrepute. There are clauses in my contract and in Teachers’ Standards that set this out.

So no, I do not think it is harsh. They broke their own rules for their own benefit. Are people so selfish and lacking in judgement fit to hold high public office?
  • Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    The Tories probably have a rock solid 40% in polling and will get at least that at the next election regardless of whatever happens with Cummings/Covid/economy due to the way voting is split across Brexit and generational lines.

Really difficult too see how Labour gets much more than 38% and ~250 seats like 2017 as a best case scenario.

HYUFD has been more accurate on a lot of things than other posters but it's hard to see how Labour can do well enough to cobble together a rainbow coalition let alone become largest party etc as long as Brexit is such a divisive/salient issue.
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

I agree.

If I had done what any of them had done, I would undoubtedly have been sacked and very probably banned from teaching for two years, for bringing the school and the profession into disrepute. There are clauses in my contract and in Teachers’ Standards that set this out.

So no, I do not think it is harsh. They broke their own rules for their own benefit. Are people so selfish and lacking in judgement fit to hold high public office?
    I find that hard to believe. If you can provide an example of a teacher being sacked for similar offences, I'll retract that.
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

I agree.

The 'woman is Scotland' is a medic, and therefore would have no problem whatsoever in finding new employment!
    Ferguson has, presumably gone back to his university.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:
    They can get on off the ground if they have to. Or put a portable mounting block in the paddock. Or a chair.
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

I agree.

+1 - although I might not get struck off I could expect a suspension and/or fine from the SRA (or whatever the Law Society’s enforcement arm is calling itself that week) and I would find it incredibly hard to find another Law Firm.
    Andy_JS said:

+1
    Suggest he continues to focus on the poison in his own party before he starts on other countries.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    Scott_xP said:
    It's a lot cheaper to defect or de-activate when the alternative is no longer a loony enabler of anti-Semitism.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,225
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:
    They can get on off the ground if they have to. Or put a portable mounting block in the paddock. Or a chair.
    It's actually not that difficultt. You just lower your outstretched hand and the jockey puts his toe in it and liftls himself off. There's minimal contact.

A much bigger problem is a tight finish where the jockeys will be within a couple of feet and exerting maximum effort. Even with masks, that's risky.

As for Rugby, forget it. Warwickshire is no place for social distancing, ever.
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

I agree.

+1 - although I might not get struck off I could expect a suspension and/or fine from the SRA (or whatever the Law Society’s enforcement arm is calling itself that week) and I would find it incredibly hard to find another Law Firm.
    But how would they know? Do you get struck off for speeding offences?

The Tories probably have a rock solid 40% in polling and will get at least that at the next election regardless of whatever happens with Cummings/Covid/economy due to the way voting is split across Brexit and generational lines.

Really difficult too see how Labour gets much more than 38% and ~250 seats like 2017 as a best case scenario.

HYUFD has been more accurate on a lot of things than other posters but it's hard to see how Labour can do well enough to cobble together a rainbow coalition let alone become largest party etc as long as Brexit is such a divisive/salient issue.

I agree that, as much as I like to rip the piss out of him, HYUFD has a lot of insight. Certainly more than me on politics. Where I differ is that I just cannot see, with everything else going on, Brexit being a remotely salient issue come 2024. I don’t even think it’s one now, it divides opinion to be sure, but it’s dropping in the list of issues people care about and will drop further.
  • alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

Andy_JS said:

+1
    Suggest he continues to focus on the poison in his own party before he starts on other countries.
    Showboating
    The Defense Department ordered the Army to prepare military police units to deploy to Minneapolis after another night of protests.

RIGHT NOWThe Pentagon says that active-duty units from across the country have been put on notice, at the behest of President Trump.

NYTimes

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:
    It's actually not that difficultt. You just lower your outstretched hand and the jockey puts his toe in it and liftls himself off. There's minimal contact.

A much bigger problem is a tight finish where the jockeys will be within a couple of feet and exerting maximum effort. Even with masks, that's risky.

As for Rugby, forget it. Warwickshire is no place for social distancing, ever.
    You must have very strong arms, I have to offer both hands with the fingers laced together. But I agree you can do it without your faces getting particularly close.
    Trump's election campaign in full:

"Smash the enemies of the people within and smash the enemies of America without"
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    tlg86 said:

I agree. Twattish Tweet.
  • alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    DougSeal said:

I agree that, as much as I like to rip the piss out of him, HYUFD has a lot of insight. Certainly more than me on politics. Where I differ is that I just cannot see, with everything else going on, Brexit being a remotely salient issue come 2024. I don’t even think it’s one now, it divides opinion to be sure, but it’s dropping in the list of issues people care about and will drop further.
    I admire your optimism
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    How does the Hodge work that out? Mass social unrest is normally the thing politicians fear the most.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,454
    edited May 2020

Scott_xP said:
    As I have been saying, PB Tories who think this be forgotten in a week or two are imho wrong. The anger is unlike anything I've seen, at least since poll tax or perhaps MPs expenses.
    MPs expenses is similar, but was against all the parties. This hits the Tories, and especially new tory voters who thought Boris was a (posh) man of the people.
    IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DougSeal said:

» show previous quotes

Never seen so much point-missing. The victims of the Scottish policy aren't wannabe English students who have more than enough perfectly good English universities to go to. It's the Scots, who are discriminated against by quotas on free places. So if you're English your 9 grand gets you a place to read physics or history or modern languages, but if you're Scottish you had better be o.k. with basket-weaving and applied theology, or soap opera studies. A quite unbelievable policy of self inflicted apartheid.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/heartache-straight-students-rejected-top-13674608
    You thick half wit, more bollox , I would not wipe your arse with the daily retard. When you have no clue what you are talking about best to keep it to yourself.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    Don't tell Hitchens but that Lord Sumption bloke is being ignored yet again on R4 at this very minute. Shocking the way that he's been silenced.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,454
    edited May 2020

How does the Hodge work that out? Mass social unrest is normally the thing politicians fear the most.
    Trump thrives off uncomfortable division? I dont think the unrest makes him walk it, but it probably does improve his chances of scaring enough swing voters from voting Democrat.
    tlg86 said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

I agree.

The issue would not be the offence itself (no, you don’t get struck off for speeding offences but, unless it’s a fixed penalty, you have to self report any conviction) but I would be fined or suspended bringing the profession into disrepute if my trivial transgressions were publicised as Cummings’ have been. By definition that means the SRA would obviously know about it.

For example, in 2018 Mark Lewis, who is Jewish, was fined £2,500 at the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal after he ‘wished death’ to trolls taunting him with anti-Semitic abuse on Twitter. A bonkers prosecution that caused a lot of disquiet - but that is how seriously it’s taken.

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

I agree.

The 'woman is Scotland' is a medic, and therefore would have no problem whatsoever in finding new employment!
    Ferguson has, presumably gone back to his university.
    Kind of sums up the knowledge of Scotland on here, pretty pathetic comment and that is being polite.
    Scott_xP said:
    Not surprised. I would not be gobsmacked to learn that they have lost as many traditional shire Tories as new red wallers over this.

Personal statements of change of allegiance always look a bit astroturfish, so I won't make one.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DougSeal said:

» show previous quotes

You thick half wit, more bollox , I would not wipe your arse with the daily retard. When you have no clue what you are talking about best to keep it to yourself.
    You are unusually chipper today, Malcolm. :p
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

I agree.

I find that hard to believe. If you can provide an example of a teacher being sacked for similar offences, I'll retract that.
    That would be difficult, as it’s a new offence. Some idea of how strict these people can be may be found here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/854798/OFFICIAL_SENSITIVE_-_SOS_WEB_Decision_Chester__Mark_Robert.pdf (banned from teaching for lying in court to try and avoid a driving penalty - admittedly he did go to prison)

Or here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874272/OFFICIAL_SENSITIVE_Turner_Philip_SoS_Decision_REDACTED__007_.pdf (again, though, this did partly involve conduct in a school).

The relevant standards are here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/665520/Teachers__Standards.pdf

Page 14, which is the key part, talks about not undermining the rule of law. My contract also says I must not engage in any conduct that would bring the school into any form of disrepute (which this certainly would) or I am subject to summary dismissal.

So you may find it hard to believe, but I’m pretty confident it would happen.
    The last time this happened in an election year, the LA Riots of May 1992, similarly triggered by police brutality on a black man, the Republican incumbent failed to be re-elected.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:
    get them a step ladder, however given you can have an assortment of anybody in your back garden , what is the difference. They have turned it into a farce.
    edited May 2020
    DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

I agree.

The issue would not be the offence itself (no, you don’t get struck off for speeding offences but, unless it’s a fixed penalty, you have to self report any conviction) but I would be fined or suspended bringing the profession into disrepute if my trivial transgressions were publicised as Cummings’ have been. By definition that means the SRA would obviously know about it.

For example, in 2018 Mark Lewis, who is Jewish, was fined £2,500 at the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal after he ‘wished death’ to trolls taunting him with anti-Semitic abuse on Twitter. A bonkers prosecution that caused a lot of disquiet - but that is how seriously it’s taken.
    So you only get struck off if it gets publicised by the media. I think that's wrong.
    edited May 2020
    tlg86 said:

BiB - right, so you only get struck off if it creates a media storm. I think that's wrong.

As I say, fined, or maybe suspended, I don’t think the SDT would strike off.
    malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DougSeal said:

» show previous quotes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-46427990

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/01/01/15000-scots-miss-university-place-snp-government-cap-criticised/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scottish-students-squeezed-out-of-university-places-59p7wvcnh

https://www.ed.ac.uk/student-recruitment/admissions-advice/admissions-statistics

https://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/scottish-youngsters-losing-out-english-counterparts-university-places-1410778

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish-daily-mail/20200102/281552292780675

And so on...
    @DougSeal - sorry, I messed up the quotes.
    tlg86 said:

@DougSeal - sorry, I messed up the quotes.

No worries - I do that all the time. Vanilla is particularly difficult using an iPhone.
  • MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Too many people go to university.
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    DougSeal said:

» show previous quotes

You are unusually chipper today, Malcolm. :p
    Rob, the bollox is worse than normal fare, looks like the loonies have been let out for the day. I am having a wonderful day in the garden , just about to get BBQ on the go , all is well apart from some half wits on here trying to think and making a cod of it.
    edited May 2020

I agree Starmer is unlikely to win over Tory voters on anything like the scale Blair did in 1997.

However remember in 1964 Labour scraped in with barely any increase in its voteshare at all and in February 1974 got in despite losing votes as Tory voters went Liberal.

I think that is a possibility if we go to WTO terms Brexit and Tory Remainers go LD, I cannot see Labour getting over 40% with Starmer, agreed
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

I agree.

That would be difficult, as it’s a new offence. Some idea of how strict these people can be may be found here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/854798/OFFICIAL_SENSITIVE_-_SOS_WEB_Decision_Chester__Mark_Robert.pdf (banned from teaching for lying in court to try and avoid a driving penalty - admittedly he did go to prison)

Or here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874272/OFFICIAL_SENSITIVE_Turner_Philip_SoS_Decision_REDACTED__007_.pdf (again, though, this did partly involve conduct in a school).

The relevant standards are here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/665520/Teachers__Standards.pdf

Page 14, which is the key part, talks about not undermining the rule of law. My contract also says I must not engage in any conduct that would bring the school into any form of disrepute (which this certainly would) or I am subject to summary dismissal.

So you may find it hard to believe, but I’m pretty confident it would happen.
    They sound more serious to me. The second one did make me snigger:

2. During one or more lessons with pupils he expressed inappropriate views and/or
    discussed inappropriate topics leading to one or more pupils suggesting that:
    a. on or around 13 July 2018, “All Mexicans were criminals and/or bad” or
    words to that effect;
    b. on or around 4 September 2018, if a person of an ethnic minority is
    unhappy with a country’s policies they should “leave the country”.

I used to have fantastic arguments with my RE teacher who was from Ghana. She was a big fan of Robert Mugabe and thought what he was doing in 2002-03 was fantastic. Now, I obviously wasn't a snowflake about it, but I'm guessing an education panel wouldn't have too much of a problem with her giving those opinions.
This discussion has been closed.