Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Patched with virtue. Britain’s historical legacy and how black

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited June 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Patched with virtue. Britain’s historical legacy and how black lives matter

Hong Kong has been much in the news recently, with the Chinese government looking to unilaterally set aside part of the “two systems” approach that it agreed to when Britain ceded it in 1997 by imposing new national security laws on it.  British public opinion is rightly deeply concerned.  The British government has offered Hong Kongers with a British National Overseas passport the right to live and work in the UK.  This is an admirable and principled stance by the current government.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

In all my years of watching politics I have never seen such a dramatic, sudden shift. Not even Black Wednesday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_1997_United_Kingdom_general_election#1992

In the days before 16 September 1992, the Tories were about level with Labour (some polls had them ahead, some had them behind). All of the polls that followed had Labour ahead. By November Labour were 20 points clear.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    tlg86 said:

In all my years of watching politics I have never seen such a dramatic, sudden shift. Not even Black Wednesday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_1997_United_Kingdom_general_election#1992

In the days before 16 September 1992, the Tories were about level with Labour (some polls had them ahead, some had them behind). All of the polls that followed had Labour ahead. By November Labour were 20 points clear.
    A loose comment.

If you look carefully at the polls in autumn 1992 you will in fact see that the slide in Conservative support happened nowhere near so fast as the Cummings saga.

Black Wednesday was 16th September 1992. Conservative leads in the month leading up to that date were:

(A mean Labour lead of +3)

The slide did not happen immediately. The polls in the month after were:

(A mean Labour lead of +4)

The first big poll shift occurred exactly a month after Black Wednesday on 19th October 1992 when Gallup had Labour on a lead of +22. Thereafter the polls mostly started to show substantial Labour leads, although not all did.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/historical-polls/voting-intention-1992-1997

• Options
    edited June 2020
    An interesting thread, thank you Alastair.

When I was growing up, there used to be arguments about social issues such as single parents. John Major even made it a central part of his policy agenda:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_Basics_(campaign)

I think Osborne may have changed the tax system to recognize marriage.

The video at the top of the thread cites home life as being an important part of a child's chances in life. This is undoubtedly true.

Yet all through my life, the Left have opposed the use of policy to reduce single parents households, for example. Clearly it's a difficult thing to change. But it fucks me off beyond belief for the Left to tell people who have had a stable upbringing to feel guilty about it.

They are sort of c*nts who think parents shouldn't help their children with their homework.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Excellent header. There are issues here which can't be dealt with by dismissing those raising them as woke.

The best source for the history of the opium wars is of course Flashman and the Dragon.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Those opinion polls are bad for the Conservatives. Someone on here, I think it was the bluest of the blue, suggested that the whole Cummings story was a media storm in a teacup and that it was totally overblown. How wrong can you be?

I thought that the crossover might take 3 months. At this rate it will be within another month. That is a staggering seismic shift from the polls of the last few months when Johnson's tories regularly led by 20%, even by 26% as recently as the 20th April.

And, for the record, I know plenty of people who are still talking about it, with anger and incredulity.

As own goals go, the Cummings saga beats everything.

Did you miss 2017? ;)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    Great writing @AlastairMeeks

The history of Empire is an ignoble one, and one sadly neglected in schools, yet critical to understanding our place in the world.

There is room for a certain amount of derring do, end even some back patting, but there needs to be a recognition that our legacy in the world is a Curates egg at best.

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,742
    edited June 2020
    tlg86 said:

When I was growing up, there used to be arguments about social issues such as single parents. John Major even made it a central part of his policy agenda:

The video at the top of the thread cites home life as being an important part of a child's chances in life. This is undoubtedly true.

Yet all through my life, the Left have opposed the use of policy to reduce single parents households, for example. Clearly it's a difficult thing to change. But it fucks me off beyond belief for the Left to tell people who have had a stable upbringing to feel guilty about it.

They are sort of c*nts who think parents shouldn't help their children with their homework.

If the country wants stable home lives and families, which we should do, then lets teach relationships properly at school, and lets create real affordable housing suitable for family life.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Good morning everyone.
    The facts of Cummings journeys may well be yesterday's news. But jokes are still being made about his eye test, and that jokes being made and laughed at suggest that something has settled in the public mind.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Dr Fox,

"our legacy in the world is a Curates egg at best."

That applies to every country in the world. But the nonsense of apologising for what your antecedents did is nonsensical. Tony did it for the Irish famine. So some of my great-great grandfathers did something nasty to some of my other great-great grandparents? Who should I apologise to?

I did tell my Danish daughter-in-law that I'd forgiven her completely for the Danish Viking raids on England and Ireland a few years ago, and I'm sure she was very pleased. But I did suggest she bought the next round in recompense.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,112
    Thank you Alastair, that was a great header.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

They are sort of cunts who think parents shouldn't help their children with their homework.

If the country wants stable home lives and families, which we should do, then lets teach relationships properly at school, and lets create real affordable housing suitable for family life.
    And it doesn't create single parent families by not allowing parents who don't earn above a certain income threshold to live in the country.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    So it turns out a government based on pr, manipulation and spin, wasn’t best placed to fight the virus. Who knew that viruses didn’t respond well to sound bites and oven ready slogans? 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited June 2020
    It is an oversimplification to lump all BAME people together. In fact, it would probably be better not to use the term at all. Chinese and Indian people in Britain earn 30% and 10% more per hour on average than their white British counterparts, while blacks earn about 10-15% less. Pakistanis and Bangladeshis, who were generally favoured by the British Raj over Indians, do even worse.

This suggests to me that current sociological factors, rather than past treatment by the British Empire, explains the experiences of immigrant groups today. The latter may be one factor determining the former, but it is only one of many.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    tlg86 said:

A bit of a straw person there surely? I have not encountered anyone who expounds those views. There may be some nutter on the left who does, but they would be as unrepresentative as those on the right advocating eugenics. The extremes do not define us.

I agree though that a loving and stable family life is the basis of childhood advantage. It is certainly an advantage that I have had, and think it is the biggest advantage that I have passed on to Fox jr.

There is a lot of literature to support this, but I see it also in how children, and adolescents in particular, are adversely affected by parental break up at critical points in their lives.

No one wants to trap people in unhappy or even abusive homes, and the welfare state rightly has a role in mitigating that damage.

The pleasures of a long relationship are not as obvious as the hedonistic pleasures of youth, but are much more valuable.

How do we structure a society that encourages and supports happy families? Economics clearly come into it, as so many family fights are about money. It isn’t the only thing though, as we see in poor immigrant households. A culture that values deferred gratification over transient pleasures succeeds, and very often the foundation of that is religiosity.

Religion of any sort can have a toxic side, but does generally foster and support family life. In all social classes and ethnic groups it is a predictor of success in life. There is a chicken and egg issue too, in that relationship breakdown can shake religious faith.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Thanks for the thought provoking article AM.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Fishing said:

It is an oversimplification to lump all BAME people together. In fact, it would probably be better not to use the term at all. Chinese and Indian people in Britain earn 30% and 10% more per hour on average than their white British counterparts, while blacks earn about 10-15% less. Pakistanis and Bangladeshis, who were generally favoured by the British Raj over Indians, do even worse.

While there probably are some genetic and cultural differences between 'Indians' and 'Pakistanis and Bangladeshis', as there are between Scots, Welsh and historic residents from the various parts of England, the reason someone is a 'Pakistani' not and 'Indian' is that they are Moslem as opposed to (probably) Hindu.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    “Does the handling of the coronavirus crisis by Nicola Sturgeon and the Scottish Government make you feel more confident or less confident that Scotland will be well-governed if it becomes an independent country?“

More confident: 59%
    Less confident: 22%

2019 Labour voters:
    More confident: 56%
    Less confident: 26%

(Panelbase; 1-5 June; 1,022 Scottish adults)

Labour voters are key to the result of the next independence referendum. Just as the party veers BritNat, their voter base continues to drift to a pro-Scotland stance.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Excellent, thought-provoking piece. Tremendous writing. The bottom line is that in the UK a white person will never be judged by society solely by the colour of his or her skin. We cannot say the same for non-white people. That does not make all white people racist, that does not deny many white people face significant barriers, deprivations and hardships, but it does explain why Black Lives Matter is such a rallying call. As Alastair says, we should listen more, understand more. We might learn something.
  • Options
    Looks very much like marginals to me. Key demographics in Middle Britain.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

"our legacy in the world is a Curates egg at best."

That applies to every country in the world. But the nonsense of apologising for what your antecedents did is nonsensical. Tony did it for the Irish famine. So some of my great-great grandfathers did something nasty to some of my other great-great grandparents? Who should I apologise to?

I did tell my Danish daughter-in-law that I'd forgiven her completely for the Danish Viking raids on England and Ireland a few years ago, and I'm sure she was very pleased. But I did suggest she bought the next round in recompense.

It is not a matter of apologising. It is more a matter of recognising that how our country behaved in the past continues to shape the present. For example the Chinese attitude to Hong Kong is shaped very strongly by its experiences of foreign incursions during the century after Hong Kong was founded. Ditto the reason that Ireland is so pro EU is because they have experience of being at the sharp end of British economic domination.

Not unique to us of course. The hostile relationship between Greece and Turkey, or Russia and Poland have strong relationships with their experience of empire.

It is not about apology, or even restitution, more one of understanding and empathy.

Exactly. But I’d argue that apologies can sometimes demonstrate understanding. And sometimes that us important, too.

• Options

Excellent, thought-provoking piece. Tremendous writing. The bottom line is that in the UK a white person will never be judged by society solely by the colour of his or her skin. We cannot say the same for non-white people. That does not make all white people racist, that does not deny many white people face significant barriers, deprivations and hardships, but it does explain why Black Lives Matter is such a rallying call. As Alastair says, we should
    listen more, understand more. We might learn something.

Whilst I don’t doubt that people from ethnic minorities face barriers that white people do, a lot of the issues in the video at the top of the thread just happen to be more prevalent in the black community. Maybe this is due to the Empire. Personally I think not.

Trevor Phillips made a programme about these issues a few years ago. A lot of people didn’t like what he had to say.

Alastair has written threads in the past about Britain going the way of Argentina. He’s right to say that we have no god given right to be a significant player. We have to work hard to be successful as a nation. I’d suggest the black community should look at itself as well as the forces of oppression.
  • Options
    whunterwhunter Posts: 60
    The current Chinese government have interned about a million people on the grounds of ethnicity which is pretty much similar to whatever horrors that can be dug up from the colonal past. The uncomfortable reality is that human history is the story of dominant groups imposing their will on others. We cannot change this reality through intellectual theorising, as much as we try to. We can try to be more civilised and gentle, but if we become weak and indecisive in the process, then others will take advantage of us. That is the point at which we are currently at - a defeated culture in a death spiral, lost in introspection and with no confidence in itself. These articles, articulate and brilliant as they are, must be seen in this context. It is the product of a culture which in an evolutionary sense has failed and is set to be wiped out.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Looks very much like marginals to me. Key demographics in Middle Britain.
    The local and devolved elections are gonna be fun unless Johnson gets a grip. At the moment it looks like we’re heading for a Winter of Discontent. High unemployment, social unrest, a government in office but not in power, crash in international trade and the elderly and vulnerable feeling abandoned. May 2021 could be an electoral slaughter.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Excellent, thought-provoking piece. Tremendous writing. The bottom line is that in the UK a white person will never be judged by society solely by the colour of his or her skin. We cannot say the same for non-white people. That does not make all white people racist, that does not deny many white people face significant barriers, deprivations and hardships, but it does explain why Black Lives Matter is such a rallying call. As Alastair says, we should

Whilst I don’t doubt that people from ethnic minorities face barriers that white people do, a lot of the issues in the video at the top of the thread just happen to be more prevalent in the black community. Maybe this is due to the Empire. Personally I think not.

Trevor Phillips made a programme about these issues a few years ago. A lot of people didn’t like what he had to say.

Alastair has written threads in the past about Britain going the way of Argentina. He’s right to say that we have no god given right to be a significant player. We have to work hard to be successful as a nation. I’d suggest the black community should look at itself as well as the forces of oppression.
    Isn’t Trevor Phillips part of the black community? Have you ever heard David Lammy on absent fathers and rioters? The black community does look at itself. BLM is inviting the white community to think about a difficult subject. It is not saying white people are inherently evil.

• Options

tlg86 said:

Isn’t Trevor Phillips part of the black
    community? Have you ever heard David Lammy on absent fathers and rioters? The black community does look at itself. BLM is inviting the white community to think about a difficult subject. It is not saying white people are inherently evil.

And look how Phillips is treated by the Left:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-51797316

Yes, I heard what Lammy said on QT, very commendable.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,186
    edited June 2020
    tlg86 said:

A "c-bomb" and an "f-bomb" so early in the morning?

Notwithstanding your language your simplified stereotyping is not helpful either. Modifying the tax system to benefit married couples won't stop a poorly educated girl from a sink estate becoming pregnant from multiple partners.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Certainly so, people have agency and responsibility for their own decisions. These are not made in isolation though, but rather in context.

It is notable that black African communities are more academically successful than black Caribbean. There may be some legacy of colonialism, in that both slavery, and the pattern of men being absent abroad working disrupt family life.

Much as I admire and appreciate black British sporting and musical success, these are not realistic ambitions for a much broader success of the rest of a community. Too often the only entrepreneurial openings are criminal ones.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Observer, I also recall Lammy criticising the choice of the Grenfell Tower inquiry judge on various grounds, including being white (2 mins 52s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqHnuyJko8c

From second hand reports I read here, Lammy's comments on why black people get longer sentences, on average, seem more reasonable (essentially, lack of trust is a contributory factor as guilty pleas take longer to come in, leading to longer sentences).
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

community? Have you ever heard David Lammy on absent fathers and rioters? The black community does look at itself. BLM is inviting the white community to think about a difficult subject. It is not saying white people are inherently evil.

The black community is not the left.

• Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

But Black Lives Matter is.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    edited June 2020
    Since 'whitesplaining' is clearly being frowned upon, here's some blacksplaining from Dr Martin Luther King: 'I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.' Until we see skin colour as entirely incidental, we won't have learned this lesson. Sadly efforts to do so are hampered by well-meaning attempts like the one above to sympathise and understand, and perhaps somehow mitigate the circumstances, of not being white.

As for the atrocities of the past, which we can do little to change, we might do better to concentrate on the atrocities of now. In Nigeria for example, 600 black Christians have been killed since the beginning of 2020 - victims of persecution by Jihadist groups. I might be missing them, but I don't see the mass protests demanding we do something about this. The African continent is utterly forgotten in all this, and if I were a Nigerian Christian, I would be feeling quite angry about the whole BLM movement, which in Britain at any rate, is seems to be toxically self-indulgent and obsessed with trivialities.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

It doesn’t have to be.

• Options
    whunter said:

The current Chinese government have interned about a million people on the grounds of ethnicity which is pretty much similar to whatever horrors that can be dug up from the colonal past. The uncomfortable reality is that human history is the story of dominant groups imposing their will on others. We cannot change this reality through intellectual theorising, as much as we try to. We can try to be more civilised and gentle, but if we become weak and indecisive in the process, then others will take advantage of us. That is the point at which we are currently at - a defeated culture in a death spiral, lost in introspection and with no confidence in itself. These articles, articulate and brilliant as they are, must be seen in this context. It is the product of a culture which in an evolutionary sense has failed and is set to be wiped out.

And a very happy Sunday to you too.

Go and have a cup of coffee, snog the wife/husband and acquire a little joie de vivre.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

Since 'whitesplaining' is clearly being frowned upon, here's some blacksplaining from Dr Martin Luther King: 'I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.'

King also said, "Something extraordinary was done to the black man so something extraordinary must be done for the black man."
  • Options

tlg86 said:

They are sort of cunts who think parents shouldn't help their children with their homework.

Notwithstanding your language your simplified stereotyping is not helpful either. Modifying the tax system to benefit married couples won't stop a poorly educated girl from a sink estate becoming pregnant from multiple partners.
    Apologies, this subject irritates me greatly as a high-ish achieving white working class male employed by an organisation that wants BBC diversity (look different but think the same).

I didn’t say I supported the Tory policies. I was saying that the Left don’t want to tackle the issues that affect life chances. It is very tough to do, and I don’t know how to do it. But people shouldn’t feel guilty about having something that we should be promoting.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,951

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601
    Excellent article, Alistair.
    Your gentle suggestion at the end seems to have provoked vehement opposition.
  • Options

Since 'whitesplaining' is clearly being frowned upon, here's some blacksplaining from Dr Martin Luther King: 'I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.' Until we see skin colour as entirely incidental, we won't have learned this lesson. Sadly efforts to do so are hampered by well-meaning attempts like the one above to sympathise and understand, and perhaps somehow mitigate the circumstances, of not being white.

As for the atrocities of the past, which we can do little to change, we might do better to concentrate on the atrocities of now. In Nigeria for example, 600 black Christians have been killed since the beginning of 2020 - victims of persecution by Jihadist groups. I might be missing them, but I don't see the mass protests demanding we do something about this. The African continent is utterly forgotten in all this, and if I were a Nigerian Christian, I would be feeling quite angry about the whole BLM movement, which in Britain at any rate, is seems to be toxically self-indulgent and obsessed with trivialities.

Trying to understand and mitigate injustice is a bad thing?
  • Options

My grandson’s black grandmother gets called a nigger in the street. She has been spat on, solely because of the colour of her skin. These are not trivialities.

Disgusting behaviour like that is not going to be affected one jot by divisive protests during the current lockdown. Indeed I suspect they give succour to racist groups.

The cohesiveness of society is strengthened when we focus on what we have in common, not our differences.
  • Options
    @SouthamObserver - someone on here suggested Dom put on a BLM t shirt and join the demo. How do you think that would have gone down?

There is a culture war in America that Trump has very much been a part of making. But the Left have played their part too. And they are trying to bring it here.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Trying to understand and mitigate injustice is a bad thing?
    It is if it's based on a damaging and corrosive set of assumptions.
  • Options
    Mr. 86, to be fair, Labour's hiking of migration to rub the right's face in diversity worked tremendously well for them, even better than killing nationalism stone dead through the cunning plan of devolution.

No wonder they want a culture war.
  • Options

My grandson’s black grandmother gets called a nigger in the street. She has been spat on, solely because of the colour of her skin. These are not trivialities.

Disgusting behaviour like that is not going to be affected one jot by divisive protests during the current lockdown. Indeed I suspect they give succour to racist groups.

The cohesiveness of society is strengthened when we focus on what we have in common, not our differences.
    Black people in the UK experience prejudice that only they experience. We could all unite to understand that. This could help strengthen cohesion.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Dura_Ace said:

Since 'whitesplaining' is clearly being frowned upon, here's some blacksplaining from Dr Martin Luther King: 'I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.'

King also said, "Something extraordinary was done to the black man so something extraordinary must be done for the black man."
    Amazing how people can only seem to remember the bit, out of all King' speechs, that means they don't have to do anything.

"I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a “more convenient season.” Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

@SouthamObserver - someone on here suggested Dom put on a BLM t shirt and join the demo. How do you think that would have gone down?

There is a culture war in America that Trump has very much been a part of making. But the Left have played their part too. And they are trying to bring it here.

The hard right and the far left both want a culture war in the UK. That is nothing new. Why give them one?

• Options
    tlg86 said:

There is a culture war in America that Trump has very much been a part of making. But the Left have played their part too.

Ah, the famed culture war of "can the police stop Murdering Black People".
  • Options

Mr. 86, to be fair, Labour's hiking of migration to rub the right's face in diversity worked tremendously well for them, even better than killing nationalism stone dead through the cunning plan of devolution.

No wonder they want a culture war.

I feel you are someone I don't want to be rude to. But what you have written here Sir, is nonsense.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Dura_Ace said:

Amazing how people can only seem to remember the bit, out of all King' speechs, that means they don't have to do anything.

MLK is always the African American of preference for your average right wing white boy. Him and Hendrix.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,352
    V pleased to hear Bercow not happy about . his non peerage. Apparently he is a county standard tennis player and i read somewhere he duffed up Boris 6-0 6-0 6-0. ..not very charitable if true... how to win friends and influence people eh...
  • Options

Black people in the UK experience prejudice that only they experience. We could all unite to understand that. This could help strengthen cohesion.

I would prefer to eradicate it, to render it utterly irrelevant, a silly relic of the past. And that is going to happen when we all turn our attention from it, toward other things, and move on from it. It can not be solved not by relentless focus on it, which can do no more than make people feel temporarily appeased.
  • Options

King's 1960s civil rights movement was tremendously unpopular. It polled terribly with a majority saying it was devisive and harmed more than it helped.
  • Options
    Mr. Pete, which bit?

Scottish independence rising as a political force rather than being destroyed by devolution is a matter of public record, and as is the increase in migration (notably by no transitional limits on new EU member states), with the desire to rub the right's face in diversity thereby revealed through leaks.

If you meant I was either too ambiguous or broad brush over the culture war comment then fair enough, that could've been more precise.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Perhaps he might have learned something if he did. Take for example this excellent short speech at the (peaceful and socially distanced!) BLM demonstration in Leicester yesterday.

https://twitter.com/yaskamacaan/status/1269330819102973952?s=09
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,847
    IshmaelZ said:

Excellent header. There are issues here which can't be dealt with by dismissing those raising them as woke.

The best source for the history of the opium wars is of course Flashman and the Dragon.

It's great, although my favourite is Flashman at the Charge.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973
    This top Tory look is going down a treat I see, surge must be due..........
    SNP at 54% in last three polls
    Opinium on 4th June, with don’t knows removed has this

Con: 24%
    Lab: 12%
    LD: 7%
    SNP: 54%
    Greens: 2%
    https://talkingupscotlandtwo.com/2020/06/07/snp-at-54-in-last-three-polls/
  • Options
    Alistair said:

King's 1960s civil rights movement was tremendously unpopular. It polled terribly with a majority saying it was devisive and harmed more than it helped.
    I am sure it was, but I don't see that it's relevant to the discussion. MLK sought justice before the law. Equality of opportunity, not of outcome. For me, that's the only thing in this that could possibly make philosophical sense. Because by giving justice a nudge here or there because of a perceived disadvantage here or a special case there, we create injustice. I feel that about everything in politics, not just this.

• Options

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Observer, I also recall Lammy criticising the choice of the Grenfell Tower inquiry judge on various grounds, including being white (2 mins 52s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqHnuyJko8c

From second hand reports I read here, Lammy's comments on why black people get longer sentences, on average, seem more reasonable (essentially, lack of trust is a contributory factor as guilty pleas take longer to come in, leading to longer sentences).

The Lammy report on the criminal justice system was very reasonable.
  • Options
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.crmvet.org/docs/60s_crm_public-opinion.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwio4c6ine_pAhULURUIHSBDBtAQFjACegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3LCpYR9HkqJeI3morFZ3gJ&cshid=1591516718817

For contemporary polling.

All in all, do you feel the demonstrations by Negroes on civil rights have helped more or hurt more in the advancement of Negro rights?
    85% Hurts Negro
    15% Helps Negro
    Subpopulation: Whites
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601

I would prefer to eradicate it, to render it utterly irrelevant, a silly relic of the past. And that is going to happen when we all turn our attention from it, toward other things, and move on from it. It can not be solved not by relentless focus on it, which can do no more than make people feel temporarily appeased.
    That’s a lengthy way of saying you prefer not to think about it.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    Thanks to the selfish and reckless behaviour of the large crowds of protesters in London and elsewhere in the UK, we will all be experiencing a spike in Covid19 cases in two weeks, and in deaths from a week after that. This time, however, the exhausted and demoralized front-line NHS staff may well not cope.
    All the benefits of public restraint over the last three months being thrown away.
  • Options

You think you defeat racism by ignoring it.

That is certainly a take.

What other problems can you defeat by ignoring them? Fascism? Boulders rolling down hills? Gravity?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Apologies, this subject irritates me greatly as a high-ish achieving white working class male employed by an organisation that wants BBC diversity (look different but think the same).

I didn’t say I supported the Tory policies. I was saying that the Left don’t want to tackle the issues that affect life chances. It is very tough to do, and I don’t know how to do it. But people shouldn’t feel guilty about having something that we should be promoting.
    I am of the left. I have an education from what is now a Russell Group University and I am comfortably well off. Both my children are University students, and I had no problem helping them with their homework (your comment down thread). Perhaps you are confusing people like me with Jeremy Corbyn.

What I have shouldn't be unreachable to others because of their class, creed or colour. I am uncomfortable with the notion of social engineering, however some sort of rebalancing needs to be considered to ensure fairness to all.

Remember how this whole issue started in Minneapolis, and just keeps on happening. But why protest in the UK? Racial stereotyping goes on here too. Some years ago a nice middle-class lady I knew from University was on holiday with her family in Cornwall, they were black. She, along with some 20 other drivers ran a faulty red temporary traffic light. Her car was the only one pulled over by Devon and Cornwall Police and she got the fine and the points. She accepted she was wrong and joked she was pulled over because she was black, and she was joking. I thought, no, you're right!
  • Options

Personally I never give it a thought, a person is a person and you get nice people and arseholes in every colour of the spectrum.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,736
    malcolmg said:

Hello Malky, nice sunny day with some cloud but a cool wind over in the east here.

Is that for Westminster or Holyrood please?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I would prefer everyone not to think about it. That is the only way that anything ever subsides.
  • Options

Alistair said:

I am sure it was, but I don't see that it's relevant to the discussion. MLK sought justice before the law. Equality of opportunity, not of outcome. For me, that's the only thing in this that could possibly make philosophical sense. Because by giving justice a nudge here or there because of a perceived disadvantage here or a special case there, we create injustice. I feel that about everything in politics, not just this.

You have wilfully ignored what King actually said and made up a completely fictional version of King.

@Dura_Ace even helpfully posted a King quote for you to show how wrong you are.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Hello Malky, nice sunny day with some cloud but a cool wind over in the east here.

Hello Carnyx , sunny in the west with light breeze. I believe it is Westminster.
    PS: Did you see the state of Murdo in his regalia
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I would prefer everyone not to think about it. That is the only way that anything ever subsides.
    Would your answer differ if this conversation were taking place in mid 1930s Berlin, about anti Semitism?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Black skin remains a marker and the USA has an unfortunate history of segregation. I visited Iceland some time ago and the Icelandic guide was very proud of his mational heritage. He was even proud of their Catholic roots which they inherited from the Irish slave women they rbought over to help with the Viking children.

The first time I went to Boston (the little one in Massachussetts),I was surprised how the black kids spoke with a different accent to the white ones.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Hello Carnyx , sunny in the west with light breeze. I believe it is Westminster.
    PS: Did you see the state of Murdo in his regalia
    Thank you!

That photo surprised me a bit - but I was too busy trying to find the info to look much at it. Now I look again, I suspect it's an old Photoshop job actually. There's something wrong ablout the way the sash hangs on the shoulder.
  • Options
    Dr. Foxy, excellent, but somehow missed that white working class boys are the worst performers in our education system.

Is there evidence for teachers viewing black pupils as less intelligent?

If she's referring to British history then complaining because it's white is nonsense because historically this country has been white. If it's more global, then it depends on the balance of the curriculum, but I'd want to see the detail. She's right that black history isn't just slavery.

I'd also be interested to know whether the broad white-black (and other ethnicities which curiously seem to go missing) differences are smaller or larger than the male-female differences. Of course, girls doing better than boys is seen as a failing of boys, because it's fashionable to knock masculinity (contrary to whites seemingly doing better than black, in which case that's attributed to bigotry rather than a failing of the worse performing group), but it'd still be good to know.
  • Options
    coachcoach Posts: 250
    There is no such thing as a black community, or a white community, or a gay community. Everybody lives amongst everybody else. It is wrong to use that term as it create divisions
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Mr. Pete, which bit?

Scottish independence rising as a political force rather than being destroyed by devolution is a matter of public record, and as is the increase in migration (notably by no transitional limits on new EU member states), with the desire to rub the right's face in diversity thereby revealed through leaks.

If you meant I was either too ambiguous or broad brush over the culture war comment then fair enough, that could've been more precise.

Your comment, "Labour's hiking of migration to rub the right's face in" is arrant nonsense.
  • Options

You obviously don't understand MLK so let's try Malcolm X:

"If you put a knife in my back and then pull it out we are not even."
  • Options
    It's a thought-provoking article. Insofar as issues of racial prejudice and injustice can be sorted out by governments, I think that the current British State has a pretty good record.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672

Mr. Pete, which bit?

Your comment, "Labour's hiking of migration to rub the right's face in" is arrant nonsense.
    Not according to Andrew Neather:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/6418456/Labour-wanted-mass-immigration-to-make-UK-more-multicultural-says-former-adviser.html
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    IshmaelZ said:

Flashman is often the best source for history.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Thank you @AlastairMeeks :+1:
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I am of the left. I have an education from what is now a Russell Group University and I am comfortably well off. Both my children are University students, and I had no problem helping them with their homework (your comment down thread). Perhaps you are confusing people like me with Jeremy Corbyn.

What I have shouldn't be unreachable to others because of their class, creed or colour. I am uncomfortable with the notion of social engineering, however some sort of rebalancing needs to be considered to ensure fairness to all.

Remember how this whole issue started in Minneapolis, and just keeps on happening. But why protest in the UK? Racial stereotyping goes on here too. Some years ago a nice middle-class lady I knew from University was on holiday with her family in Cornwall, they were black. She, along with some 20 other drivers ran a faulty red temporary traffic light. Her car was the only one pulled over by Devon and Cornwall Police and she got the fine and the points. She accepted she was wrong and joked she was pulled over because she was black, and she was joking. I thought, no, you're right!
    I think I ran that light too. If I hadn't I'd still be waiting there (or been murdered by the drivers behind me).
  • Options

Do you think all problems can be solved by ignoring them, or just this one?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

You think you defeat racism by ignoring it.

That is certainly a take.

What other problems can you defeat by ignoring them? Fascism? Boulders rolling down hills? Gravity?
    Sectarianism would be a good example. Daniel Defoe 'There is no Protestant or Catholic in a good bargain' - Sectarianism was all but eradicated in swathes of Britain and lessened where it still exists, because people became more interested in commerce.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    Interesting thread Mr Meeks - I agree that the Empire’s history is complex and poorly taught - and so too are some of the simplistic explanations of its crimes. Many independence movements created their own “national myths” of virtuous opposition to British venality. And there too, the history is far more complex than “Us good, them bad.” Any study of imperialism should surely take in not our own, but others.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,254

Fishing said:

While there probably are some genetic and cultural differences between 'Indians' and 'Pakistanis and Bangladeshis', as there are between Scots, Welsh and historic residents from the various parts of England, the reason someone is a 'Pakistani' not and 'Indian' is that they are Moslem as opposed to (probably) Hindu.
    A bit of an oversimplification. How are the quite large numbers of people of people of Indian descent, whose ancestry is via East Africa classified? These were mainly highly educated people when they arrived. Maybe that helps explain part of the difference.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    edited June 2020
    One of the things I find revealing about PB discussions on racism is that it seems there aren't any black people posting here
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Certainly so, people have agency and responsibility for their own decisions. These are not made in isolation though, but rather in context.

It is notable that black African communities are more academically successful than black Caribbean. There may be some legacy of colonialism, in that both slavery, and the pattern of men being absent abroad working disrupt family life.

Much as I admire and appreciate black British sporting and musical success, these are not realistic ambitions for a much broader success of the rest of a community. Too often the only entrepreneurial openings are criminal ones.
    Or perhaps there's a class difference between black Africans and Black Caribbeans in this country.

And notice that there isn't an AsianLivesMatter - a demographic who have the opposite likelihood to dying in police custody as black people do:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52890363

Why do different immigrant communities have such different experiences and levels of achievement ?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I get this. I am by no means working class, my parents are middle class, a secretary and a salesman, but I am Comprehensive schooled, and have inherited nothing more than good genes and values.

I agree that there is a lot of lip service to diversity. We have an Asian Chancellor, but possibly the wealthiest one ever, and that is not atypical of MPs, or for that matter the Civil Service and professions like my own.

Of course, there is a point at which class changes, so whatever their roots Starmer or Javid are no longer working class by any reasonable interpretation. Class diversity and diversity of outlook are both neglected in favour of more visible differences.

• Options

Interesting thread Mr Meeks - I agree that the Empire’s history is complex and poorly taught - and so too are some of the simplistic explanations of its crimes. Many independence movements created their own “national myths” of virtuous opposition to British venality. And there too, the history is far more complex than “Us good, them bad.” Any study of imperialism should surely take in not our own, but others.

Imperialism is certainly not just a white thing. Many of the powers that Europeans defeated were aggressively imperialistic in their own right.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,352

IshmaelZ said:

Flashman is often the best source for history.
    Does Flashman tell us why Bercow rubbed continually Tories noses in.it Was it because he knew there were enough Labour Mps to.keep.him in situ for a few more years.?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

You have wilfully ignored what King actually said and made up a completely fictional version of King.

@Dura_Ace even helpfully posted a King quote for you to show how wrong you are.
    A quick Google to remind me of the aims of the civil rights movement that King led:

...to end racial segregation and discrimination against African Americans and secure legal recognition and federal protection of the citizenship rights enumerated in the Constitution and federal law.

Those changes represent justice before the law.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's great, although my favourite is Flashman at the Charge.
    Flash for Freedom! for me. Excellent on the Atlantic slave trade, and all Oxford classicists have a soft spot for John Charity Spring.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    isam said:

One of the things I find revealing about PB discussions on racism is that it seems there aren't any black people posting here

A good point, but it does raise the next thought, how does one know? Maybe they like being in a colour-neutral forum. Edit: not that I would know or presume.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    When we look at our government, three of the great offices of state are held by the offspring of immigrants. Two of immigrants of colour. These are the highest offices a country can award its citizens.

We have taken our immigrants, and we have empowered them. We have put huge trust and faith in them

Those are not cheap words or meaningless take a knee gestures they are actions.

They are powerful anti-racist actions undertaken by the British people.
This discussion has been closed.